• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
The only time the aggro is an issue is when the fel hunters come out. Since I need to send the pit lord to the corner to prevent the fel hunters from eating the enslave, if kanrethad comes after me at the same time as them I can't always LoS/portal the chaos bolt, which is a 1-shot without sac pact up. It may just be a timing issue, since the aggro-clear buff of the gateway lasts liek 15 seconds, I guess I need X amount of time to bring the felhunters away while the buff is still up so kanrethad decides to poke the pitlord. But as I said, it seems real hit or miss.

For the felhunters I Shadowfuried the first one, Havoced it, charge stun the second one, popped DS and one Chaos Bolt kills both, then CB the third one, most of the time before it can manage to remove the enslave. If it did, fear the Pit Lord first then kill the felhunter and re-enslave. Sending the Pit Lord away and using Gateways for some nebulous aggro mechanic as others suggest just seems like overthinking it to me *shrug*

ZenaxPure

Dodges and misses in pet battles the most frustrating thing I've ever had to deal with in this game.....

Me too, luckily they are changing the hit system in 5.3. Don't think they've gone into detail as to how yet but there was a tweet that said they are redoing it.

I'm jealous! One of the ones I still don't have, just haven't really tried farming it more than anything since I don't like how long it takes to get to the boss himself. I really should though, his color is my favorite out of the "wind" drakes.
Yeah. leveling the rogue to 90 actually made it a whole lot easier. Stealth past everything but first boss, sprint when possible. I used the sprint glyph and nightstalker talent to make things slightly faster. I had run it about 30 times on my lock. switched to the rogue and ran it at least 20 more times. but that's still way better the average drop rate.

NeoCross

I've got a new found motivation for playing/finishing games after being burned out for so long and playing only a couple of hours a week. Sadly my WoW itch seems to be coming back too, even though everybody I've played with before has already quit.

To sub or not to resub.....fuu.

ZenaxPure

Has the Brawler's Guild always had this 476 epic ring you can buy? I hadn't ever noticed it before today, it's a strength ring but I bought it anyway because I am a sucker for teleportation items (it teleports you straight to the Brawler's Guild).

But more importantly, woot, rank 8! I am excited/scared for the craziness.

Edit: Omg, Disruptron is amazing, I've always wanted a fight where jumping is important, and it is the whole key there! Gotta jump over those laser beams or you are toast (they seems to hit me for 500k, which is more HP than a measly rogue has).

Tarazet

Had an easy MV clear with a pug earlier. I did 78k DPS on Will as a tank.. when I did it with my guild group I did 85k. Tanks that can keep their rotation up while dancing are worth their weight in gold on that fight.

I'm trying to be more aware of my trinket procs. It's not the easiest thing, since positioning/movement, the encounter's buffs and debuffs and the incoming damage are usually a lot more important, but using Berserk and Nature's Vigil during a Vicious Talisman proc means 20 seconds of Godbear, Destroyer of Worlds. It's amazing.

NeoCross

Anybody here from Sargeras or Stormrage? Been Horde all of my WoW life and I want to start over as Alliance. From what I've read these two are the best alliance servers. Can't decide on where to settle.

ZenaxPure

Anybody here from Sargeras or Stormrage? Been Horde all of my WoW life and I want to start over as Alliance. From what I've read these two are the best alliance servers. Can't decide on where to settle.

As far as raid progression goes Guild ox ranks Stormrage as the top in the world, across both horde and alliance. Seems to be a ton of guilds there doing just tearing through heroic ToT and stuff.

ch0mp

Have you done much Brawler's Guild? Curious how the boss compares to higher rank fights.
Easier than rank 8 fights at least. There's a lot of crap flying around but once you break the fight down into it's separate parts its not so bad. And the dps check is not very tight, or completely avoidable.

It's frustrating when murky mechanics ruin shit like this. On the attemps where I actually make it past both sets of fel hunter spawns without the boss aggroing me I tend to real well and get him under ~7 million hitpoints, but it sucks that I have to deal with so many early wipes just because I can't seem to figure out what the hell the deal is with the demonic gateway aggro mechanic.
I only ever used the gateway to LoS the chaos bolts. Nothing else hits all that hard and soul shatter should keep him on the pit lord most of the time. I'm assuming you drop your enslave and re-cast at a safe time?

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I only ever used the gateway to LoS the chaos bolts. Nothing else hits all that hard and soul shatter should keep him on the pit lord most of the time. I'm assuming you drop your enslave and re-cast at a safe time?

Yeap. As I said, aggro is generally only an issue with the fel hunter spawns. If my pit lord is anywhere near them he seems to immediately get the enslave dismissed even if I have aggro on all 3, and thats when things get shitty.

Jrmint

Doing Isle of Thunder dailies on a fresh 90 is the worst. That is all.
Yea it's pretty bad, just stick to GL and Klaxxi honestly, there's not much reason to do them over others other than new content. They are tedious as hell anyway. If you have the commendation thing the reps for the old ones go fast. I'm really only planning on spending my valor on 522 stuff anyway so it doesn't matter much.

Tarazet

Yea it's pretty bad, just stick to GL and Klaxxi honestly, there's not much reason to do them over others other than new content. They are tedious as hell anyway. If you have the commendation thing the reps for the old ones go fast. I'm really only planning on spending my valor on 522 stuff anyway so it doesn't matter much.

Since the patch, I've only spent Valor on 522 pieces. Neck, bracers, ring, and a trinket so far, which together with a couple LFR drops brought my ilvl up to 502, which puts me in the top 100 on our server.

miniMacGuru

Neo Member

Sargeras has the top US alliance guild (Midwinter), while Stormrage has more guilds that are starting heroic modes. (It's close either way though). I think it'd come down to whether you want to roll on a pvp server or not though. (Sar is pvp, Storm is pve).

Doing Isle of Thunder dailies on a fresh 90 is the worst. That is all.

It's a royal pain. I did manage to get 20 elder charms in one day on my freshly ding'd pally though. Now I just need enough gear to queue for LFR so I can spend them. >_>

Westlo

It's a royal pain. I did manage to get 20 elder charms in one day on my freshly ding'd pally though. Now I just need enough gear to queue for LFR so I can spend them. >_>

Double rolled on Sha and Galleon?
Already killed Sha for epic boots?
Bought cheap 450 Jewelcrafting Neck and rings?
Bought cheap 450/458 Plate pvp (458 cloak should be cheap period) gear off AH?
Convert Justice points to Honor to purchase 476 Ilevel Epics (they may be PvP gear but the PvP stats are a bonus, they are equal to LFR Vaults Epics)

Worst comes to worst just buy a darkmoon faire trinket or some other blacksmithing/world drop plate epic and leave them in your bag, get enough ilevel to be able to queue for LFR and with double rolls you should be able to come out legit high enough to sell them after the run.

Or keep them if it helps you get into HOF LFR.

Tarazet

Double rolled on Sha and Galleon?
Already killed Sha for epic boots?
Bought cheap 450 Jewelcrafting Neck and rings?
Bought cheap 450/458 Plate pvp (458 cloak should be cheap period) gear off AH?
Convert Justice points to Honor to purchase 476 Ilevel Epics (they may be PvP gear but the PvP stats are a bonus, they are equal to LFR Vaults Epics)

Worst comes to worst just buy a darkmoon faire trinket or some other blacksmithing/world drop plate epic and leave them in your bag, get enough ilevel to be able to queue for LFR and with double rolls you should be able to come out legit high enough to sell them after the run.

Or keep them if it helps you get into HOF LFR.

I've been playing the same toon since MoP launch and I am still using the DMF trinket for my DPS set. Those things are incredible.

Jrmint

Since the patch, I've only spent Valor on 522 pieces. Neck, bracers, ring, and a trinket so far, which together with a couple LFR drops brought my ilvl up to 502, which puts me in the top 100 on our server.
That was my point. I was saying the isle dailies can be skipped bc there's better things to spend valor on anyway.

Tarazet

That was my point. I was saying the isle dailies can be skipped bc there's better things to spend valor on anyway.

Yeah, I stopped doing the Isle dailies after I realized I didn't need anything from the vendor that I couldn't get a better version of from Assault rep. With the daily dungeon + scenario it will get done eventually, but I can't be bothered to grind out those dailies any more.

Funny thing is, I'm one of the most geared raid tanks on our server and I have a total of one piece from an actual raid (the 503 ring from Elite Protectors). I got Stuff of Nightmares and I didn't even put it on, because my LFR Terror in the Mists is just vastly better.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/ghostlands/Tarazet/advanced

Zemm

I finally got to try LFR this reset for the first time, quit about 2 years ago and came back early last month. My god, this can not be called raiding, it's almost insultingly simple and easy, like 'yeah we know pugs suck so here's some loot'.I honestly think this is more detrimental to the raiding scene than helpful, people are actually quitting proper raiding and guilds are dying because this shit is' good enough' for many people. Seriously? Come on.

Rokam

It kinda has to be baked into LB now or else a class already close to the bottom will be pretty far behind on any movement fight. Either they'll bake it in or buff the hell out of flame shock. Was a mandatory glyph, and they've stated they don't like that.

Have you done much Brawler's Guild? Curious how the boss compares to higher rank fights.

You end up needing to start respeccing for Brawler's Guild at around rank 5 if you're not already a class with a lot of survivability/mobility. At rank 7 i.e. Dark Summoner things get about as hard as tanking your average 25 man raid. Rank 8 fights are probably the hardest solo content in the game since Rhok'delar. Green fire is up here.

Sciz

It kinda has to be baked into LB now or else a class already close to the bottom will be pretty far behind on any movement fight. Either they'll bake it in or buff the hell out of flame shock. Was a mandatory glyph, and they've stated they don't like that.

Not that the entire elemental community spent all of beta saying they had two mandatory glyphs, no sir.

It's a fun spec, but Blizzard's strictly reactionary approach to balancing it got tiresome, and I'm happy to be free of that endless cycle.

ZenaxPure

You end up needing to start respeccing for Brawler's Guild at around rank 5 if you're not already a class with a lot of survivability/mobility. At rank 7 i.e. Dark Summoner things get about as hard as tanking your average 25 man raid. Rank 8 fights are probably the hardest solo content in the game since Rhok'delar. Green fire is up here.

I already knew all that, made it to rank 8 last night but I've been rank 7 for months now (just have been doing other stuff), all I was curious about was the green fire which got answered already. Honestly didn't think Rank 5 was that hard myself and I was still wearing some blue gear when I did it. Very first fight I ran into trouble with was the Raven Lord boss because it is not a very rogue friendly fight at all.

I died a few times on my way to rank 8 but it was because I wanted the purest experience I could have with it. Until rank 7 I only used buffs I could supply myself and I did not look any strats (except for Raven Lord because of how terrible that fight is for rogues).

Westlo

I finally got to try LFR this reset for the first time, quit about 2 years ago and came back early last month. My god, this can not be called raiding, it's almost insultingly simple and easy, like 'yeah we know pugs suck so here's some loot'.I honestly think this is more detrimental to the raiding scene than helpful, people are actually quitting proper raiding and guilds are dying because this shit is' good enough' for many people. Seriously? Come on.

If this loot wasn't in LFR it would be in 5 mans anyway.

Zemm

If this loot wasn't in LFR it would be in 5 mans anyway.

That would be better since atleast blizzard would be able to tune something that required you to switch on your brain each reset. You just can't make any meaningful content that requires 25 random people. It blows my mind how bad some people are at this game, like to the point where I feel they must be doing these fuckups on purpose. I've seen some incredible things this week. Blizzard should get rid of the pretence that is LFR, add that gear to some 5 mans on par with the ZA bear run. That would be more fun.

As an aside, what do people think are the odds blizzard remove 25 man raiding (since it's obviously dying) and put their focus on 10 man stuff next expansion?

I'm completely done with raiding, did it for 6 years, so it wouldn't affect me, but it's something I can see them doing in the future.

I raided 4 hours for 4 days per week for years and I have no desire to ever raid on a committed schedule ever again. Being able to casually stroll through some LFRs, get some loot (if the gods are nice), and look at the pretty instances is the only reason I'm sticking around now after coming back to get my green fire. If I were still raiding heroics then maybe the concept of LFR would be offensive to me or something, but right now? Sure why not.

cdyhybrid

That would be better since atleast blizzard would be able to tune something that required you to switch on your brain each reset. You just can't make any meaningful content that requires 25 random people. It blows my mind how bad some people are at this game, like to the point where I feel they must be doing these fuckups on purpose. I've seen some incredible things this week. Blizzard should get rid of the pretence that is LFR, add that gear to some 5 mans on par with the ZA bear run. That would be more fun.

As an aside, what do people think are the odds blizzard remove 25 man raiding (since it's obviously dying) and put their focus on 10 man stuff next expansion?

I'm completely done with raiding, did it for 6 years, so it wouldn't affect me, but it's something I can see them doing in the future.

I wouldn't be subscribed if it weren't for LFR. I want to see the content but I don't have the time or desire to raid with a guild.

Zemm

Don't you get bored with how mind numbing it is? Might be more engaging for a tank or healer actually. It's basically a 25 man training dummy for dps classes. I've only did them once and I'm not sure if I want to again.

Since coming back, I think they've done some good things to the game, lfr isn't one of those for me though, and the reliance on daily quests to provide content is another. Bizarrely (or not?) I'm enjoying soloing the old raids a ton.

I can't see 25 man raids ever going away. It may be harder to make or keep a 25 man raiding group or guild together, but the larger raid group content is too much a part of the mmo experience in my opinion. 10 mans give some flexibility in that obviously since some people don't want to deal with the hassle of larger groups. I happen to be someone that just doesn't have time nor the desire for doing any kind of serious raiding. If LFR didn't exist, I honestly could say that I probably wouldn't have an active subscription. I'm not expecting lfr loot to be on par with actual raid loot, but just being able to jump in and out of the game, and push alts through the same stuff to get sub-par i-level gear is great for me.

EDIT:
Has anyone messed around with noblegarden stuff today? I'm trying to decide if it is even worth the hassle. I don't have the seasonal achievement yet, but if CRZ has made everything worse than farming eggs was before, I may not bother.

Westlo

There was no need to turn your brains on for the twilight hour 5 mans...

Don't you get bored with how mind numbing it is? Might be more engaging for a tank or healer actually. It's basically a 25 man training dummy for dps classes. I've only did them once and I'm not sure if I want to again.

Since coming back, I think they've done some good things to the game, lfr isn't one of those for me though, and the reliance on daily quests to provide content is another. Bizarrely (or not?) I'm enjoying soloing the old raids a ton.

I'm not saying it has to be one or the other, but what I got bored with how mind numbing it was were heroic progression boss attempts. And so I quit. Now I can casually jump into an LFR once a week, *any time I want*, and I end up seeing the gist of how things play out. Sure I don't get to experience the completely unforgiving and soul punishing mechanics, but you know, nowadays I don't feel like I'm missing out on much.

Zemm

I don't know what those are, must have quit before then. I do know they are capable of making engaging and challenging 5 man content that can be completed with randoms though. I understand the wanting to see the content thing though. Maybe they could have both with a shared lockout. Ha, no chance :)

Ultratech

Eh, the first LFRs can be mind-numbing, but I enjoy the later ones in this expansion.

Pretty much.

The T14 Set are generally pretty boring, since as DPS, you're basically just sitting there shooting at a wall of HP. There's not a ton of mechanics to deal with basically, with the exception of a few fights.

The T15 Set so far are a bit more interesting since you do have to adhere to some of the mechanics or you're gonna die or wipe otherwise. (Trash to Ji-Kun is still hilarious. WTB Gastropods as Hunter Pets. :D)

I like the ToT LFRs, but get stuck with a bad group? Jesus...
Though the same could be said of any LFR I suppose.

(Partially, I think this is because I expect WAY too much of people sometimes. Granted, it's also kinda shitty when you have like 7-8 people pulling major DPS and watching the numbers from the rest just drop dramatically after that.)

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I still don't understand how people are having trouble with the Jikun nests on LFR. I mean, is it so hard to fly from one nest to the other and follow the red beams to know where the next is? Sometimes, whether i'm a DPS or healer, there is only 2 of us doing the job... i even take the time to write in the chat about the red beams.

Draxal

Seriously, people were quitting raiding because wow raiding is 8 years old, do you really want to waste the time recruiting/wiping on the same mechanics the entire time for 8 years now?

I still don't understand how people are having trouble with the Jikun nests on LFR. I mean, is it so hard to fly from one nest to the other and follow the red beams to know where the next is? Sometimes, whether i'm a DPS or healer, there is only 2 of us doing the job... i even take the time to write in the chat about the red beams.

The hardest thing in the world is convince people to move their camera to point down or up.

Zemm

No, which is why I quit. I don't 'get' how those same people do lfr every week on the other hand. It's the opposite extreme . I guess if you raided for loot rather than, or more than, the challenge then lfr is a decent alternative. For me the loot is a means to an end, to test myself against harder bosses. For what am I getting this gear? So I can whack a mole some more lfr bosses later on? Blah. It's just something I've experienced this week, I might go back to lfr next week as there's a new one opening, but I don't see it holding my attention past that :( I was hoping it would be a chance to raid on my own time, but I can't even call it raiding with a straight face, so I'm kind of stuck.

I was having this conversation with a friend the other night. I agree, LFR isn't really a "raid". It's more a chance for people to see the content that was previously locked behind a guild commitment or really, really good pugs (lol). I also agree with the person who said that the gear would either be here or in heroics anyway.

I use LFR to supplement the fact that after five weeks we still can't fucking beat Horridon.

Draxal

No, which is why I quit. I don't 'get' how those same people do lfr every week on the other hand. It's the opposite extreme . I guess if you raided for loot rather than, or more than, the challenge then lfr is a decent alternative. For me the loot is a means to an end, to test myself against harder bosses. For what am I getting this gear? So I can whack a mole some more lfr bosses later on? Blah. It's just something I've experienced this week, I might go back to lfr next week as there's a new one opening, but I don't see it holding my attention past that :( I was hoping it would be a chance to raid on my own time, but I can't even call it raiding with a straight face, so I'm kind of stuck.

There's no quality control in place for lfr in case you have a bad group, it's pretty much impossible to implement.

You get gear for a variety of reasons, looks (HI CHALLENGE MODE rewards/glad transmog), and to compete on the damage meters. If anything it's much more boring to play a healer in lfr, which is why the lfr q is always dependent on healers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom