• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blizzard should get rid of the pretence that is LFR, add that gear to some 5 mans on par with the ZA bear run. That would be more fun.

As an aside, what do people think are the odds blizzard remove 25 man raiding (since it's obviously dying) and put their focus on 10 man stuff next expansion?

There's still time to do this a-la heroic magister's terrace, an instance that wasn't released until the very final tier of TBC content. Ditto for the icecrown 5-mans and hour of twilight instances. I wouldn't expect them before we discover the final tier of mists raiding content.

I agree that if you don't enjoy LFR, dailies and lack the desire to form your own 10-mans for the challenge of raiding that Mists doesn't offer very much. That is the bulk of the game at this point once you've run out of rewards from 5-mans. Your best bet at this point is to find yourself somewhere else in game (pvp), find a new guild for scheduled, challenging fun or to quit altogether.

cdyhybrid

Don't you get bored with how mind numbing it is? Might be more engaging for a tank or healer actually. It's basically a 25 man training dummy for dps classes. I've only did them once and I'm not sure if I want to again.

Since coming back, I think they've done some good things to the game, lfr isn't one of those for me though, and the reliance on daily quests to provide content is another. Bizarrely (or not?) I'm enjoying soloing the old raids a ton.

They're certainly more entertaining than heroics and dailies are at the moment.

ZenaxPure

No, which is why I quit. I don't 'get' how those same people do lfr every week on the other hand. It's the opposite extreme .

Like it's been explained already, people want to see a glimpse of those fights. For a lot of people in WoW's past if you wanted to experience a raid boss the closest they could get is going to youtube and watching someone else do it. Now they can do it for themselves and the loot is the hook to keep them doing it week after week.

Hell, I am in the same boat right now, I did fairly serious progressive raiding in every expansion but WOTLK, but, so far in Mists I haven't wanted to commit to it (mostly because of the 10 billion other things I'd rather spend my time doing on WoW currently). The reality of the situation is not that LFR is "destroying" traditional raiding because I can tell you first hand that if there was no LFR I would not go back to "real" raiding right now, I would cancel my account and resub at the start of each patch to check out all the non-raiding related stuff I care about (Brawler's Guild, pet battles, new rare spawns, new dailies/quest chains, mount faming, etc.) and then cancel when I finished that stuff. LFR for me serves as something I can do on alts to get a different gameplay experience from my main when I have nothing else really available.

Also like Draxal brings up, I find being a DPS to be quite fun in LFR. I go in every week on my main to see if I can maximize my DPS on a fight, getting better along the way. When there is another DPS around my gear level to be competitive with it makes it even more fun. Even in real raids one of my favorite activities was racing other DPS and pushing each other to do better. That feeling isn't entirely gone on LFR (though it is more random unless you run with friends). One of my favorite memories from this expansion is grouping with a rogue the same ilvl and spec as me and us being within 10,000 damage of each other on boss kills. It's cool to see how you compare to other players when playing DPS, I'd say it's one of the biggest draws of playing that role.

NeoCross

Sargeras has the top US alliance guild (Midwinter), while Stormrage has more guilds that are starting heroic modes. (It's close either way though). I think it'd come down to whether you want to roll on a pvp server or not though. (Sar is pvp, Storm is pve).

Thanks for the info :) I actually checked wowprogress and it seems both servers are actually quite even in the number of raiding guilds/doing heroics. But yeah I do prefer a PvP server and I read that Stormrage queues can get quite long. Seems Sargeras it is then.

Draxal

There's still time to do this a-la heroic magister's terrace, an instance that wasn't released until the very final tier of TBC content. Ditto for the icecrown 5-mans and hour of twilight instances. I wouldn't expect them before we discover the final tier of mists raiding content.

I agree that if you don't enjoy LFR, dailies and lack the desire to form your own 10-mans for the challenge of raiding that Mists doesn't offer very much. That is the bulk of the game at this point once you've run out of rewards from 5-mans. Your best bet at this point is to find yourself somewhere else in game (pvp), find a new guild for scheduled, challenging fun or to quit altogether.

They already said they're not going to new instances ala adding magisters terrace/icecrown instances/hot again, it cuts away from the design team for raids.

Berordn

They already said they're not going to new instances ala adding magisters terrace/icecrown instances/hot again, it cuts away from the design team for raids.

They said that there were no plans at the time, but they apparently only finalized 5.5 recently. Everything has time to change.

Slayerx

Ha, Zarhym saying on twitter they didn't want to do anything on April 1 this year, Crabby was on a weird annual timer.

Patch instances in the past killed most of the the initial expansion content with the superior ilvl on the items :/ Look at it this way though, if the mystery feature is level scaling, we get 40 new instances.

ZenaxPure

They said that there were no plans at the time, but they apparently only finalized 5.5 recently. Everything has time to change.

I think one of the most interesting comments about all that was they pretty much put out ToC as a buffer to give them time to make both the 5 mans and the raid for the ICC patch since ToC was extremely easy to make (1 room, no trash, all that). They said they are hiring for encounter designers, even though I don't really care about 5 mans it would be nice if they could bring out at least one with each large patch, just make the gear a lower ilvl and don't provide enough for more than 1 or 2 slots per spec.

Okay, so, I'm sure you guys can help me here.

I was watching this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVXbosaTGc0 and I see that this guy has addons that tell him both how long his stuff on the mob is up (tiger power), his own personal buffs (tigereye brew and such), as well as something that notifies him when his cooldowns are back up.

I don't run addon heavy, but these would make my life easier for both my Shaman and my Monk. Any idea what these are, or something similar I can use? I'm running with the default UI.

Rokam

So GC confirmed the glyph is now baked into Elemental without the cast speed penalty. But see the problem is that new glyph is also mandatory. Who the fuck wouldn't take 10% damage reduction.

Westlo

Managed to get geared and run LFR on my hunter...1 item... that wasn't an upgrade. Fuck you Blizzard!

Done Vaults twice on my Pally, On Stone Guard got Jasper Clawfeet first kill, got them on my bonus roll (only item I can get as Ret pally), my second kill of Stone Guard... yep you guessed it, another pair of Jasper Clawfeet.

Though my luck with Elegon and melee dps continued, didn't manage to do the 2nd half of Vaults before the instance reset so just than was my first time through. Got Starshatter and than got some epic gloves with my bonus roll. On my warrior before they buffed the droprates I got starshatter the first elegon kill and another starshatter for the second kill (went fury after that). Got the Sha Touched Axe in ToES on my second Sha kill as well so for melee my luck with weapons has been good....

My mage otoh... thank fuck I made that inscription epic staff....

Robin64

This is just awful.

PegasusMount.jpg

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
The latest build on the ptr isn't labeled as release, so probably not. Plus they still seem to be adding in new stuff at a rapid pace (I'm not even sure the new quest chain stuff is on there yet).

It hasn't been even a month since 5.2 release, I doubt 5.3 is going to be that soon.

But its nice to know that at least Blizzard is keeping their promise of content releasing faster this expansion. Cataclysm was a big fat lie in that department.

mclem

It hasn't been even a month since 5.2 release, I doubt 5.3 is going to be that soon.

But its nice to know that at least Blizzard is keeping their promise of content releasing faster this expansion. Cataclysm was a big fat lie in that department.
Pretty sure they've been striving for this since TBC - I recall some excruciating waits to get the voice chat patch out of the way, for instance. This time round, though, they genuinely might have nailed it.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
New LFR branch today bring tier chests and a caster dagger. More chances to not get loot from bonus rolls!

Robin64

The red version is better, but I stand by my awful comment. The actual horse part of it, the "skeleton" (looking nothing like other skeletons in the game? where's it from?) is not pleasing.

Bisnic

New LFR branch today bring tier chests and a caster dagger. More chances to not get loot from bonus rolls!

And we're still stuck with only 3 Mogu coins per week with more and more bosses being unlocked. :( I think, since 5.2 was released, I only got 2 LFR items from Mogu coins, and that's on 2 characters. I really want that caster shield that drops for Tortos... My holy paladin still have the 463 blue one from blacksmiths. I had 0 luck with the 476 shield from the Vaults raid, even with the increased chances of 5.2. At least I got two sha-touched weapons for both my DPS and healing set.

Berordn

The red version is better, but I stand by my awful comment. The actual horse part of it, the "skeleton" (looking nothing like other skeletons in the game? where's it from?) is not pleasing.

Looks like your standard flying horse; Headless Horseman's Mount, Sparkles the Space Pony, Invincible...

...that was a very strange sentence.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
And we're still stuck with only 3 Mogu coins per week with more and more bosses being unlocked. :( I think, since 5.2 was released, I only got 2 LFR items from Mogu coins, and that's on 2 characters. I really want that caster shield that drops for Tortos... My holy paladin still have the 463 blue one from blacksmiths. I had 0 luck with the 476 shield from the Vaults raid, even with the increased chances of 5.2. At least I got two sha-touched weapons for both my DPS and healing set.

I always have weird slot-specific luck on characters. On my current main, I've had good trinket luck but shit weapon luck. Usually I'm the other way around. I still haven't looted an epic weapon on my warlock, luckily I'm a scribe so I at least have a 476 crafted staff. I'm hoping to get a 502 weapon from LFR to punch my damage up a notch for my return to green fire head-banging this weekend.

I also need to get into the habit of openraid terrace runs, I would very much like a non-lfr sha-touched weapon.

Robin64

Looks like your standard flying horse; Headless Horseman's Mount, Sparkles the Space Pony, Invincible...

It really doesn't. I don't mean the model's skeleton (PC term) but that it's meant to be a skeleton (bones and stuff). But it's some odd plating made of bone? It just doesn't look right.

Bisnic

I always have weird slot-specific luck on characters. On my current main, I've had good trinket luck but shit weapon luck. Usually I'm the other way around. I still haven't looted an epic weapon on my warlock, luckily I'm a scribe so I at least have a 476 crafted staff. I'm hoping to get a 502 weapon from LFR to punch my damage up a notch for my return to green fire head-banging this weekend.

I also need to get into the habit of openraid terrace runs, I would very much like a non-lfr sha-touched weapon.

Yeah, my paladin has some weird lucky with LFR drops.

I mean, I still have 463 blue shoulders, pants, shield and trinket. And yet I got the T15 LFR gloves, a sha-touched weapon, a 502 healing cloak and 2 pieces of the T14 set. I almost want to waste VP on epic 489 shoulders and pants, but I know i'm better off saving them for 522 pieces.

Draxal

Yeah, my paladin has some weird lucky with LFR drops.

I mean, I still have 463 blue shoulders, pants, shield and trinket. And yet I got the T15 LFR gloves, a sha-touched weapon, a 502 healing cloak and 2 pieces of the T14 set. I almost want to waste VP on epic 489 shoulders and pants, but I know i'm better off saving them for 522 pieces.

Yeah, LFR loot luck is really weird. Got the bis lfr ret weapon on the very first week on the very first boss kill, which I didn't even know was on the loot table until I got the weapon (it's a random chance off every boss, so it doesn't show up in Dungeon Journal loot tables), but I'm still rocking 463 bracers/helmet.

Noblegarden CRZ...sigh

I did have some luck in Azure Watch though. That seems to be the most out-of-the-way location for people who don't have mage friends.

I got the 100 chocolates achievement and am now working on the mount...100/500 so far :)

Robin64

My realm hasn't had CRZ turned on yet. Low levels feel horribly lonely, but it's a godsend for things like this.

mclem

It seems they're focusing on more scenarios instead of 5-mans, and I'm alright with that.

I'm assuming there's nothing stopping them making a scenario that takes place in an instance. Something like defending the Terrace of Endless Spring from a Mogu incursion.

Tarazet

I was just watching the Fatboss videos for the fights in the new tier of LFR, Halls of Flesh-Shaping. If they didn't change the mechanics of Dark Animus massively, that's going to be loads of fun seeing tanks gather up all the adds and get slaughtered.

ZenaxPure

I'm assuming there's nothing stopping them making a scenario that takes place in an instance. Something like defending the Terrace of Endless Spring from a Mogu incursion.

That's one of the amazing things about Scenarios, can do whatever they want with them. Actually though, one of the new ones next patch is "The Secrets of Ragefire" (was formally named Emberdeep). Blizzard has been promising us that they would let us know what is going on in Ragefire at some point in this expansion, so I assume this is it. Not entirely sure if they are actually using the instance or not, but, still. There is also the new one that takes place in Dun Morogh which is pretty cool, love that they are willing to use old locations for this stuff.

It would be very cool to have a scenario in an old raid/dungeon, would be a cool way to give updates on minor otherwise irrelevent story stuff. Like, wonder what's going on in Naxxramas nowadays or maybe BRD since their king is dead and they are technically allied with the Alliance now.

Bisnic

Scenarios are cool, although a bit too easy with my 495 average gear on my frost mage. These poor new 90s in greens and blues barely have time to do any damage thanks to me.
I know they're not made for geared people, but the easy 50 VP and extra reputation for Kirin Tor Offensive was useful. Saved me from a few dailies.

I remember when they first released the lvl 85 Theramore scenario when MoP wasn't released yet. Man, did that give a bad feeling about the whole thing.

Berordn

It would be very cool to have a scenario in an old raid/dungeon, would be a cool way to give updates on minor otherwise irrelevent story stuff. Like, wonder what's going on in Naxxramas nowadays or maybe BRD since their king is dead and they are technically allied with the Alliance now.

Think of all the unreleased content they might finally have a use for now! Crypts of Karazhan, the three or four miles of blank Emerald Dream stuff, Old Kara...

I just really want to go back to Karazhan.

Noblegarden CRZ...sigh

I did have some luck in Azure Watch though. That seems to be the most out-of-the-way location for people who don't have mage friends.

I got the 100 chocolates achievement and am now working on the mount...100/500 so far :)
I randomly woke up at 4 in the morning and decided to try and grab some eggs. Azure watch was pretty good. Later I went to Darnassus, which had more people, but not terrible. I've noticed a lot of people will still stand and camp one egg spawn even though it's early morning with not many people around and lots of eggs visible. I was able to loot all the items needed for achievements with the exception of the spring flower item. Spent 50 chocolate on that, but if I can manage to get on early enough each day, getting 500 eggs for the mount shouldn't be a problem. Does the mount have to be purchased or is there a chance it can drop from an egg?

ZenaxPure

Scenarios are cool, although a bit too easy with my 495 average gear on my frost mage. These poor new 90s in greens and blues barely have time to do any damage thanks to me.

This is why next patch has heroic scenarios, with bonus objectives that award additional vp!

Does the mount have to be purchased or is there a chance it can drop from an egg?

It can drop from the egg, just a really low chance. Chances are you will get 500 before you seen one, but who knows, maybe you will get lucky!

Think of all the unreleased content they might finally have a use for now! Crypts of Karazhan, the three or four miles of blank Emerald Dream stuff, Old Kara...

I just really want to go back to Karazhan.

Yeah, it would be cool, it was the only good raid in tbc
yeah I went there, come at me

Lore wise there technically is supposed to be lower Karazhan, like an inverted tower or whatever, would be cool if that was actually reflected in WoW at some point. Speaking of Kara though, I love that there is still an unused instance portal near the top of the tower with a gryphon rest on it. I wonder what Blizzard's original intent with that was.

Sciz

You can get the mount from an egg, yes. The spiteful whims of the RNG will likely give it to you after you've already farmed most of the chocolate.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
This is why next patch has heroic scenarios, with bonus objectives that award additional vp!

It can drop from the egg, just a really low chance. Chances are you will get 500 before you seen one, but who knows, maybe you will get lucky!

Yeah, it would be cool, it was the only good raid in tbc
yeah I went there, come at me

Lore wise there technically is supposed to be lower Karazhan, like an inverted tower or whatever, would be cool if that was actually reflected in WoW at some point. Speaking of Kara though, I love that there is still an unused instance portal near the top of the tower with a gryphon rest on it. I wonder what Blizzard's original intent with that was.

Originally it was supposed to be the half-way point, a rest stop basically. You'd be able to stop for the night and just fly back in the next day. Either they couldn't get it to work right at the time or just decided it was more effort than it was worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom