• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another day in LFR. Another day of duplicate drops when i have a boatload of slots that could get upgrades instead. LFR... I think i'm up to 5-6 useless items now from ToT LFR. It's so disheartening.

Trickster

Wow. So the "What should Blizzard do with Warcraft IV?" thread in Gaming is a shitstorm. People hating on WoW all over the place.

I don't understand why people are accepting of characters introduced in Warcraft III, but then ones that are introduced in World of Warcraft are suddenly ruining the franchise and they want the Warcraft III ones back.

Imo it's a lot easier to "accept" warcraft 3 characters. The narrative was told in a way people didn't really miss it, since it was all done through voices and cutscenes.

In WoW, most people miss the story because it's told in a horrible manner, you hardly get any cutscenes, and most of them outside of the 1 welldone cutscene per expansion that they seem to be fine with sticking to, all suck and look like something done by the programmers, and not the cinematic people.

The vast majority of the story is also still told through quest text. Which no reads, since 95% of quest text is just pointless filler shit that's gives you some bland reason for why you should go pick up x items or kill x mobs.

Their story also seems to be told from patch to patch. Take firelands for example, you had the initial setup for fighting ragnaros in the hyjal zone. Then you hear nothing about it for 6 months, until the new patch comes out and then all of a sudden ALL the focus is on firelands and ragnaros. Then Dragon Soul comes out and we never hear about firelands again. This style isn't really good for creating characters that are memorable, since their lifespan seems to be about 6 months until the next chunk of content.

Actually, the only characters they really managed to give a persistent presence for more than the 6 months a normal raid patch lasts, was Arthas and the other characters they introduced in Warcraft 3 and TFT...

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Another day in LFR. Another day of duplicate drops when i have a boatload of slots that could get upgrades instead. LFR... I think i'm up to 5-6 useless items now from ToT LFR. It's so disheartening.

Fucking Horridon. 3 possible drops, 2 of which are weapons, I get the other one with my bonus roll.

Tarazet

I would be giving up on LFR altogether, but it's the only realistic way to get Assault rep for the 522 valor gear. I'm probably geared enough to be working on more ToT normal bosses, but most of our DPS isn't. It's sad that I'm more likely to get real 5.2 gear from spamming LFR for rep and valor than from actually raiding because our server is so bad.

Blinked through the wall geometry in the Troves of the Thunder King scenario after looting about 3 chests. Couldn't get back in. Missed out on everything.

Feels bad man.

ZenaxPure

I've gotten 5 pieces on my rogue so far, but, I am only wearing one piece. Not worth it to break my 4 piece T14 with new offset pieces and one of them was a duplicate. If I can get another tier token I will be able to actually start wearing stuff since my 2 piece T15 is pretty awesome.

Honestly the reality is that loot drops in real raids (on 10 man anyway, 25 is a different story) is just as shit as LFR a lot of the time. My priest/druid didn't see a single Sha-Touched weapon last tier out of the many weeks my casual friend guild did Empress and Lei Shi, but, hell that doesn't even touch the fact that our main tank last expansion did not see a single tanking weapon in ANY of the tiers (no mace from BWD, no sword from Beth, and no sword from Deathwing, for the entire 1.5 years). It's been a problem since vanilla, I wish we just used a currency system like PVP, but, that would kill the desire to run raids week after week once you've gathered all the loot you needed and probably isn't healthy for guilds in the long term, but, I feel like there has to be a better solution than just depending on RNG.

Bonus roll rng protection is probably a really good step in the right direction but it just depends on how many bad rolls you have to get before guaranteed loot.

On the bright side for this tier though, the VP gear will serve as a good buffer for covering slots you have not had any drops for while you continue to wait for better luck.

Draxal

I've had good luck with TOT rng, weapon on the very first boss kill, trinket (gotten it twice), 2 necks, 2 legs (1 set), 2 chests (1 set), Pet off Ji Kun. Yet, I still think the system is ridiculous.

Imho they should do a mixed valor/loot system, where they have a varied metric ton of weapons/trinkets/set pieces drop in raids while stuff like necks/rings/offset pieces are bought with valor.

I wish they went with the valor system in the first place, but getting a 502 neck in lfr tot kinda sucks when pretty much everybody bought the valor 522 neck the first week.

Finaika

I've gotten 5 pieces on my rogue so far, but, I am only wearing one piece. Not worth it to break my 4 piece T14 with new offset pieces and one of them was a duplicate. If I can get another tier token I will be able to actually start wearing stuff since my 2 piece T15 is pretty awesome.

I thought the rogue T15 2 piece bonus was meh?

ZenaxPure

I thought the rogue T15 2 piece bonus was meh?

It's not as good as the 4 piece of T14, but the extra stats from the better gear make it worth dropping, at least in my case.

Just in general I think it's a good set bonus though, creative set bonuses > raw +damage set bonuses.

Tarazet

It's not as good as the 4 piece of T14, but the extra stats from the better gear make it worth dropping, at least in my case.

Just in general I think it's a good set bonus though, creative set bonuses > raw +damage set bonuses.

I got the T14 four-piece set bonus from LFR pieces, then promptly trashed it when I got the 502 helm and gloves, along with the pattern for the 496 chest. The extra stats just make too much of a difference.

Ha. Was in dalaran looking for people to throw spring flowers on for the achievement. Found a tauren druid that had just taken the flight path, so I couldn't use the spring flowers. I followed them all the way into howling fjord. I figured CRZ would separate us, but it didn't. This person was from illidan, i'm from thunderlord. Spring flower success! They probably thought i was going to gank or something. I just flew away immediately.

EDIT: Bought the ring of the kirin tor, too. Probably not worth it, but i love all the items that give you a port to major cities.

I don't think I've had 5-6 drops in ToT LFR total. Across two characters =P
Yeah, true. I get that I shouldn't be complaining about drops when i'm getting so many. but at some point I feel that's going to stop. These are potential upgrades that are going to complete waste. Not sure if it would be worse to not get any drops at all or get a bunch of duplicate stuff that i can at least DE or sell.

ZenaxPure

I got the T14 four-piece set bonus from LFR pieces, then promptly trashed it when I got the 502 helm and gloves, along with the pattern for the 496 chest. The extra stats just make too much of a difference.

Well in my specific case one of the ToT pieces I've gotten was the off set head piece from the first boss. I had tier head piece t14 (pretty much perfectly itemized for my spec), that was also upgraded 2/2. Not worth it to drop my 4 piece and better itemized hat for the extra 100 agi I get from my ToT piece.

Tarazet

Well in my specific case one of the ToT pieces I've gotten was the off set head piece from the first boss. I had tier head piece t14 (pretty much perfectly itemized for my spec), that was also upgraded 2/2. Not worth it to drop my 4 piece and better itemized hat for the extra 100 agi I get from my ToT piece.

I wouldn't break a set bonus if it was only one upgrade. I did it only when I had better gear for every slot.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I've never gotten a ToT LFR drop ever including coins across several runs and several characters. If I don't get one this week (which is already looking grim given I finished a lot of it), I'll probably just stop doing it entirely and go back to never logging in for anything other than weekly mount farming.

It isn't worth it to have the drop rate so low, particularly given the fact that ToT-LFR drops are 20 full ilvls below the real deal ToT drops and you can spam coins in the older content still.

Tarazet

I am very close to being able to LFR with my monk healer.

How's the healing in the first one? Super stressful? I assume it all depends on the tank, but still. Any pointers?

If you have folks who have outgeared the content, you'll be falling asleep.

Stone Guard - three bosses that are usually tanked in a lump in the center, largely melee damage to tanks only. If you get chains on you run to the other guy who has it, stay out of purple shit. Overload causes raid damage.

Feng - Stay in the center till the last phase. If you get a Wildfire Spark or if you start casting Arcane Explosion spontaneously, run out of the raid. The whole encounter is basically raid-wide damage spikes that are roughly 30 seconds apart.

Big troll dude - go into Spirit Realm once in a while to heal the banished tank and anyone who is in there killing adds. Tank and spank.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Resilience has been removed from most PvP gear.
What's up with this? Major change to PvP?

Westlo

Man I'm really starting to get annoyed at this fuckwit on the auction house who keeps dumping like 150-200 Vivid Wild Jades at a certain price level, really caps the amount of profit you can make on them...

What's up with this? Major change to PvP?

Everyone gets like 65% base resilience now.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Sixty-fucking-five percent? That's insane. Woooooow.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Yesterday on my mage, I got the LFR T15 gloves from a Mogu coin, 502 shoulders dropped from the first boss and I had enough VP to buy the 522 ring.

If only everyday was like this!

Yoshichan

My new alarm song... "World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade Log In music"

I am ready to wake up 5am every day

Yoshichan

You don't even play anymore.
Does that mean I'm not interested in the game anymore? I defend WoW every day and keep myself updated - and I still stand to my word that MoP is the best WoW-expansion. I "quit" for many reasons... and none of them had to do with the game itself :)

I wonder what the ilvl is going to be like for the LFR 5.4 Org raid, both in terms of entry and boss drops. This is from the point of view of someone like me who only does LFRs. In the 5.0 raids you had a 13 ilvl (483 to 496) gap between LFR and normal (normal to heroic too). Even after 5.1, you could have at best 489 valor gear in *most* slots. If you managed to get the valor to upgrade those you could get up to 497s. 5.2 hits, ToT drops 502 gear in LFR, now a 20 ilvl gap to normal's 522 (still 13 between normal and heroic). The big difference is there's 522 valor gear available right off the bat for almost every slot from Shado-Pan Assault. Upgrades are going to be super cheap too, when 5.3 hits. So going into 5.4 I'm going to have 530 ilvl gear in most of my slots. But Blizz can't very well tune the bosses and drops of Org LFR to ToT normal ilvls, right? Is the Org gear going to be barely a sidegrade? Is the LFR <> normal gap going to grow even larger? I'm sure it will all work out, just interesting to wonder how much they're going to bump everything again.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Does that mean I'm not interested in the game anymore? I defend WoW every day and keep myself updated - and I still stand to my word that MoP is the best WoW-expansion. I "quit" for many reasons... and none of them had to do with the game itself :)

Yes. You quit cuz you're not interested in it. Duh! :)

PS How's your boo? :3

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
750!

I dunno. I also wonder, in the long run, how blizzard will end up feeling about the current route of LFR as gear-catchup versus the wotlk/cata model of new 5-mans with higher ilvl epics. 5-man heroics are (arguably, I guess) less important and worthwhile in mists than at any other point in the game's history, and I think LFR and valor from other other sources are the major factors in that.

Draxal

750!

I dunno. I also wonder, in the long run, how blizzard will end up feeling about the current route of LFR as gear-catchup versus the wotlk/cata model of new 5-mans with higher ilvl epics. 5-man heroics are (arguably, I guess) less important and worthwhile in mists than at any other point in the game's history, and I think LFR and valor from other other sources are the major factors in that.

I think they're happy with the path, but they do have to fix the drop rate (and duplicate drops for unique items) issue.

Think scenarios pretty much replaced instances as they can pretty much reuse old assets (although 2/3's HOT instances did so as well).

There was alot of backlash against the HOT instances when they first came out, so it's a damned if they do/damed if they don't situation.

ZenaxPure

But Blizz can't very well tune the bosses and drops of Org LFR to ToT normal ilvls, right? Is the Org gear going to be barely a sidegrade? Is the LFR <> normal gap going to grow even larger? I'm sure it will all work out, just interesting to wonder how much they're going to bump everything again.

Well, if they handle it like they did this tier, Org LFR gear will probably be around ilvl 525 to 530. Heroic MSV was ilvl 502, new LFR is 502. Their justification for gating ToT LFR so much was that the gear is supposed to be better than old normal modes, but, you have to wait on it. That way people who were stuck in purely 496 stuff still have a shot at clearing normal ToT in their own gear and then slowly getting better stuff through ToT lfr to push them along if they can't do it in their 496 stuff, pretty similar concept to the upgrade system in a lot of ways.

Anyhow, I dunno how they will approach it but I wouldn't be surprised if they took a similar approach next tier.

Well they claim people were just giving up on normal mode raids when they got stuck and waiting to use the 5 man/valor catch up system as a way of bypassing content and jumping back in to the newest raid tier, making the accomplishment of finishing it for other people less rewarding of a feeling. Dunno how true that is or how they know it, but, this system is certainly the opposite of that.... I still see people recruiting for HoF/Terrace on my server which is honestly something I can't say I saw much of in previous expansions.

Super basic question from a gearing noob:

When I replace a piece of gear, will the game allow me to remove the gems and use them on another piece of gear?

And what about enchants?

Bizazedo

I've never gotten a ToT LFR drop ever including coins across several runs and several characters. If I don't get one this week (which is already looking grim given I finished a lot of it), I'll probably just stop doing it entirely and go back to never logging in for anything other than weekly mount farming.

Have you ever played Roulette? :). Just a string of bad luck, mate, don't be like that. Didn't you get a lucky mount drop or two recently?

It isn't worth it to have the drop rate so low, particularly given the fact that ToT-LFR drops are 20 full ilvls below the real deal ToT drops and you can spam coins in the older content still.

Yeah, I thought that was odd too until I read a Blue post explaining that Jin'rokh is essentially a free boss and Horridon is truly the first test. The Blue post also said that they wanted you to have to finish Terrace before really being able to progress in ToT.

Shades of Everquest, albeit so nerfed and beaten it's barely recognizable. Whether you think it's a good idea or not is a separate topic, but that's probably the reasoning.

LFR will also catch you up, as it were, as a result.

My mage in blue pvp gear has 55% increased damage against other players. I assume the folks in epic pvp stuff have a lot more by now.

Yeah I was talking with a Mage buddy last night as we compared our new PvP gear. A lot of the Tyrannical stuff is actually a downgrade if looking solely at the PvP Resilience and PvP Power. It's not like that for Warriors (although something about the Helm was different), but the Mage had downgrades everywhere.

Obviously, normal stats are rising, but.....

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Have you ever played Roulette? :). Just a string of bad luck, mate, don't be like that. Didn't you get a lucky mount drop or two recently?

Yeah, I thought that was odd too until I read a Blue post explaining that Jin'rokh is essentially a free boss and Horridon is truly the first test. The Blue post also said that they wanted you to have to finish Terrace before really being able to progress in ToT.

Shades of Everquest, albeit so nerfed and beaten it's barely recognizable. Whether you think it's a good idea or not is a separate topic, but that's probably the reasoning.

LFR will also catch you up, as it were, as a result.

Yeah I was talking with a Mage buddy last night as we compared our new PvP gear. A lot of the Tyrannical stuff is actually a downgrade if looking solely at the PvP Resilience and PvP Power. It's not like that for Warriors (although something about the Helm was different), but the Mage had downgrades everywhere.

Obviously, normal stats are rising, but.....
Mount runs take like 10 minutes, it takes an hour to get a Rogue into any segment of ToT.

Super basic question from a gearing noob:

When I replace a piece of gear, will the game allow me to remove the gems and use them on another piece of gear?

And what about enchants?

No to both.

Fularu

Banned
Honestly I'd look for a guild, there's probably a guild on the server for every time/day that you'd be interested in raiding.
Thing is, the guild I'm in has been my group of friends for 5 years now.

While we used to be top 20 us back in BC/WOTLK most of our core just quit and O honestly don't see myself leaving them. Which is why I'm looking for a consistent pug, mostly made up of alts from raiding guilds.

I used to run some with Kresh when I was in Vigil but that was 3 years ago and he quit :(

Zemm

Domuro was pretty fun, it took us about 7-8 attempts but I had more fun on that boss than the previous ones combined. The boss after that was good too but very messy. Killed it but it didn't feel or look like we did it 'right'.

Angry Grimace

And that's completely unrelated to what I said, but does explain why you don't want to deal with it.

I have no clue what that means, I was only responding to the first sentence. I don't regularly raid for the same reasons I don't want to spend 2 hours to do a segment of ToT-LFR.

I cleared the new wing of LFR today. We wiped 4 times on the first boss, 3 times on the 2nd boss, and then 3 times on the last boss. Exciting times lol! And of course, there was major griping the whole time with people pointing fingers, some people getting booted for no reason, and lots of CAPS LOCK in chat. I'm surprised we got through any of it to be honest. Determination is great. It gives me a reason to stay in bad groups.

Slayerx

Test of valor done, change of command done, now onto the BGs.

It's ok Yoshi. You can still jump on the next expansion hype train with everyone even if you don't play :)

Rokam

So after a day of doing LFR on my hunter, I'm almost geared for ToT LFRs. 2 blues left one of which is a weapon :(.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom