• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZenaxPure

It's worth noting that it's a meta gem, not an enchant >_>

Though it makes me wonder if they will abandon it like the Sha Gem or have it last until the end of the expansion. The proc is a lot more interesting/powerful than a random stat boost, but, this is still a stepping stone until whatever is at the end. I'm guess at the least the extra gem slot item won't be usable on T16 weapons.

Draxal

It's worth noting that it's a meta gem, not an enchant >_>

Though it makes me wonder if they will abandon it like the Sha Gem or have it last until the end of the expansion. The proc is a lot more interesting/powerful than a random stat boost, but, this is still a stepping stone until whatever is at the end. I'm guess at the least the extra gem slot item won't be usable on T16 weapons.

Yeah, I should have changed that, and I'm not sure on t16. T16 might very well be sha touched weapons.

ZenaxPure

Yeah, I should have changed that, and I'm not sure on t16. T16 might very well be sha touched weapons.

That would be cool. I thought it was kind of weird they ditched sha touched gems, doesn't seem like they'd break the game that much if they were something you carried along the whole expansion.

Berordn

I wouldn't be surprised if it was something crazy like you put together your sha-touched Weapon/Gem and legendary meta to make a legendary weapon with properties of both.

Rokam

I wouldn't be surprised if it was something crazy like you put together your sha-touched Weapon/Gem and legendary meta to make a legendary weapon with properties of both.

Only problem with the weapon is that I'm not too sure Blizzard wants heroic raiders using the same weapon as LFR heroes, cloaks and gems are one thing, if they go the weapon route I could see them doing 3 different versions or something along those lines.

ZenaxPure

As cool as a weapon would be I am still just not sure they would want to make as many as they would have to. Need daggers for a rogue or 2 specs are useless, need a hunter weapon, do blood DKs get the same weapon as the other 2 specs? Need different tanking weapons for bear druids and brewmaster vs. Prot paladin/warrior, for that matter does feral/windwalker get a different weapon than their respective tank specs? Does Holy/Disc get a different weapon than Shadow?

List goes on and on obviously, but, point being it just seems like it could potentially be a huge mess, not to mention what Rokam said is true as well.

That said, I think the idea of taking everything you got over the expansion and combining them into one super strong item sounds amazing.

That feel when you see another Monk doing dailies on the Isle of Thunder who's not geared as well as you are, but they've beaten Horridon and the Council. :(

I hate that I'm considering this, because I love my guildmates, but it might be time to start looking for a new guild. :(

In regards to the legendary, has anyone here actually gotten 20 secrets of the empire yet? I have 8/20. I'm furious at this stupid quest. By the time 5.3 is out, I'll likely be at 15/20 or some stupid shit.

As cool as a weapon would be I am still just not sure they would want to make as many as they would have to. Need daggers for a rogue or 2 specs are useless, need a hunter weapon, do blood DKs get the same weapon as the other 2 specs? Need different tanking weapons for bear druids and brewmaster vs. Prot paladin/warrior, for that matter does feral/windwalker get a different weapon than their respective tank specs? Does Holy/Disc get a different weapon than Shadow?

I imagine it will be a Legendary weapon based on your main spec, or that you'll get to choose. It's not really all that much work. Sha Touched weapons fill that same role right now. It sucks that the ended up scrapping the legendary shield, though. It was datamined way back when with the other weapons. I know people who would kill for a good legendary shield.

Berordn

Only problem with the weapon is that I'm not too sure Blizzard wants heroic raiders using the same weapon as LFR heroes, cloaks and gems are one thing, if they go the weapon route I could see them doing 3 different versions or something along those lines.

Historically, if you've been willing to put in the time, they don't much care that you get heroic-level loot.

But yeah, it might not even be a weapon, though preliminary data for them has existed since beta.

ZenaxPure

Historically, if you've been willing to put in the time, they don't much care that you get heroic-level loot.

But yeah, it might not even be a weapon, though preliminary data for them has existed since beta.

Well, they've also made a habit of putting the best non-legendary weapons in the game on the final boss' of the expansion loot table. I wonder if they plan to go that route again this expansion, I can't say I've ever been a big fan of it (cause at least in wotlk and cata my guilds got to a point where no one needed madness/arthas reaalllly quickly) so I wouldn't mind seeing them try something else instead. Though I really enjoyed what they did with the Madness weapons even if most of the procs were forgettable.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
So I thought the sigil drop rates in non-lfr 25man MSV would be good. I was wrong. 4 bosses down and 0 sigils so far.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Yes, I am checking every boss corpse.

cdyhybrid

Hmm. Grind out this last level to get my DK to 90 or run LFRs I don't need any loot from to try and finish my sigils? I don't know which I'd enjoy less.

Tamanon

Banned
DKs are pretty damn fun at 90 I thought. But I also had a blast leveling mine through Panda because I had an upgraded archaeology polearm so I was overpowered in the leveling zones.

For those of you who are number crunchers, I have a question.

Currently, I'm using raid finder Claws of Shek'zeer in my offhand. I don't want to give up the agility, and since offhand damage isn't as high as mainhand damage anyway, I feel like putting a 522 in that slot won't be as beneficial as the agility increase.

Am I wrong about this?

Westlo

Finally finished my Mage transmog with MOP additions. (sword, offhand, cape)

wowpic_zpscfb6e004.png

Well I could fix the shoes but apart from that.... what glow is jade spirit btw?

Now to work on my Warrior and Paladin though my Warrior is mostly done... need Molten Core shoes + plate shoulders of Firelands Rag...

I'm sad. I got a dagger in lfr. So i switched out my 1-hand sword loshan. on the AH someone was selling a battered hilt for 1000 gold. I got it, but now i can't use the sword for transmog cuz of the dagger. I really wish daggers and 1-hand swords were interchangeable for transmog. boo.

Tarazet

For those of you who are number crunchers, I have a question.

Currently, I'm using raid finder Claws of Shek'zeer in my offhand. I don't want to give up the agility, and since offhand damage isn't as high as mainhand damage anyway, I feel like putting a 522 in that slot won't be as beneficial as the agility increase.

Am I wrong about this?

Stat-wise, it's a wash. You trade about 160 Agility (if you use a red gem and get the socket bonus, as with Wu-Tai) for ~200 extra secondary stat. Damage-wise, the 522 is going to hit harder. It would be a mild DPS gain but still a gain.

Stat-wise, it's a wash. You trade about 160 Agility (if you use a red gem and get the socket bonus, as with Wu-Tai) for ~200 extra secondary stat. Damage-wise, the 522 is going to hit harder. It would be a mild DPS gain but still a gain.

Thank you for this.

NOW ALL I HAVE TO DO IS GET SOME 522'S SJHAJVBHSVA*S&YA*^&%^QA$

mclem

I've gotten 5 pieces on my rogue so far, but, I am only wearing one piece. Not worth it to break my 4 piece T14 with new offset pieces and one of them was a duplicate. If I can get another tier token I will be able to actually start wearing stuff since my 2 piece T15 is pretty awesome.

Honestly the reality is that loot drops in real raids (on 10 man anyway, 25 is a different story) is just as shit as LFR a lot of the time. My priest/druid didn't see a single Sha-Touched weapon last tier out of the many weeks my casual friend guild did Empress and Lei Shi, but, hell that doesn't even touch the fact that our main tank last expansion did not see a single tanking weapon in ANY of the tiers (no mace from BWD, no sword from Beth, and no sword from Deathwing, for the entire 1.5 years). It's been a problem since vanilla, I wish we just used a currency system like PVP, but, that would kill the desire to run raids week after week once you've gathered all the loot you needed and probably isn't healthy for guilds in the long term, but, I feel like there has to be a better solution than just depending on RNG.

Bonus roll rng protection is probably a really good step in the right direction but it just depends on how many bad rolls you have to get before guaranteed loot.

On the bright side for this tier though, the VP gear will serve as a good buffer for covering slots you have not had any drops for while you continue to wait for better luck.

I think Blizzard are in a weird position right now in that they've actually done very well in making 25s a lot more rewarding than 10s simply by virtue of the increased chance of having someone able to benefit from loot present in a given raid (the amount of times we've had to DE stuff because we happen to not have a mail user present, for instance...), but it's still extremely hard to get people to *comprehend* how large a boon that is; I think more guilds would attempt to get 25s going if they knew that.

Rokam

Wow, Invincible popped up on the BMAH on the medium pop server my hunter is on, within an hour or two it's already at max bid.

You wouldn't happen to have any thoughts on Nadagast's Exsanguinator versus Loshan, Terror Incarnate? I've switched to the dagger, but I'd prefer to use the sword for transmog, if that's even a legitimate reason, lol. It all comes down to that 500 int gem and whether it's worth enough to keep using the sword.

Tarazet

You wouldn't happen to have any thoughts on Nadagast's Exsanguinator versus Loshan, Terror Incarnate? I've switched to the dagger, but I'd prefer to use the sword for transmog, if that's even a legitimate reason, lol. It all comes down to that 500 int gem and whether it's worth enough to keep using the sword.

The dagger has 1200 extra spell power. Is that worth more than 500 Int? The rest of the stat budget doesn't change much.

ZenaxPure

I think Blizzard are in a weird position right now in that they've actually done very well in making 25s a lot more rewarding than 10s simply by virtue of the increased chance of having someone able to benefit from loot present in a given raid (the amount of times we've had to DE stuff because we happen to not have a mail user present, for instance...), but it's still extremely hard to get people to *comprehend* how large a boon that is; I think more guilds would attempt to get 25s going if they knew that.

Honestly I think it has less to do with the fact that loot is better on 25s and more to do with the fact that if you aren't a super high end guild good luck trying to get 25 amazing players, or even 20 amazing players. The guild I ran through Cata splintered off from a guild that was trying to be a 25 man. 10 of us decided to leave after we hit the magmaw enrage timer on normal mode. After that we ended up floating between 2nd, 3rd, or 4th on the server for the rest of the expansion while the guild we left also switched to 10 man and was ranked in the like the 80s.

Had we stuck piggy backing the 8 to 10 people holding us down through 25 mans we'd probably been ranked in the 20s on the server tops. None of us just wanted to mess with that garbage, hell of a lot easier when you were a casual 2 night a week raiding guild like ours to just clear 10s than attempt to clear 25s even if the loot situation is a lot better on 25s.

The point obviously being it's a lot easier and more effective in the long run to trim fat off a 25 man guild turning it in to a 10 man guild than it is to just put up with a few bad players holding you back from 25s.

Anoregon

I'm having a hard time deciding when I want to break 4-piece on my ilvl 483 set for 502 items. Having Dark Soul on a super short cooldown sure is nice.

ZenaxPure

Ended up just buying one of the Noblegarden mounts on the Ah for 2100 gold. Seemed like a fair trade off since I had no desire to stand there gathering 500 eggs. Wasn't even CRZ that was bothering me since the hotfix made the egg respawn rate kind of insane. I just really didn't want to stand there for hours gathering eggs, was one thing in Cata when I had nothing better to do with my time but I just kept thinking today how I could be out doing other stuff instead.

Ended up just buying one of the Noblegarden mounts on the Ah for 2100 gold. Seemed like a fair trade off since I had no desire to stand there gathering 500 eggs. Wasn't even CRZ that was bothering me since the hotfix made the egg respawn rate kind of insane. I just really didn't want to stand there for hours gathering eggs, was one thing in Cata when I had nothing better to do with my time but I just kept thinking today how I could be out doing other stuff instead.

I actually had a nice time finishing it last night in Azure Watch. I had a good Pandora station going and some fun snacks and kind of just zoned out and ran around the area collecting eggs. Getting them is addicting, and it was over before I knew it. Much less boring than fishing or even archaeology. The only problem was that I never got the elegant dress for the achievement.

Your first mistake is deciding to simply stand there and click the spawns. That would indeed be boring :)

ZenaxPure

Your first mistake is deciding to simply stand there and click the spawns. That would indeed be boring :)

Eh, at least on my server it's faster to spawn camp than run around looking for them, just about every spot had someone at it so I had to pick my own. I got about 100 total before I just decided to give in and spend the gold, just find it boring myself.

2k gold is an absolute pittance for the amount of work required for those 500 eggs.

The only thing keeping the price that low is how fugly the mount really is.

Tarazet

I'm having a hard time deciding when I want to break 4-piece on my ilvl 483 set for 502 items. Having Dark Soul on a super short cooldown sure is nice.

Like I said before, I didn't break my set bonus until I had better items in every slot. 483 T14 set replaced by 502 head, 502 T15 gloves, 496 crafted chest, and 489 legs and shoulder. In my case, I gave up a 1-minute cooldown reduction on my best tanking cooldown, 5% extra dodge during Savage Defense, and 10% extra healing from my rage-spending heal.

TimeKillr

So here's a question for anybody who's beated Horridon on normal...

How the hell did you do it? We're still stuck at either the first door, or we down it but we have 3 dps down every time.

Seriously, it's getting ridiculous. :(

Jrmint

Yea that fight is essentially broken on 10 man. I don't know who tuned it, but whoever did needs to be fired. We can't get past 2 doors.

You basically need everyone at 500 ilvl.

Tarazet

How the hell did you do it? We're still stuck at either the first door, or we down it but we have 3 dps down every time.

The raid has to be really careful about the Double Swipes, because he randomly charges a player and then starts his swipe. Flank him and then just get him back into position the best you can once he stops channeling. Use short-term CC on adds. Remorseless Winter, Frost Trap, Ursol's Vortex, or Disorienting Roar are helpful among others.

ZenaxPure

There is nothing special about it really, make sure your tank picks up all the adds, make sure no one stands in shit, and make sure people with the proper dispel are dispelling (the DoTs at each door can be BRUTAL if you aren't dispelling as much as possible, this is where the source of most deaths came for us).

You don't really need 500 ilvl, but, it is certainly tuned for people that is at least 496 since that is the gear you get from HoF/Terrace normal modes. When my casual guild my alt druid/priest is in downed him we were all floating around 495 ilvl.

Tell your dps to get smarter about charges. Also note that most of the 'shit on the ground' abilities are targeted, so you can somewhat control the escape paths you have to get out of charge/double-swipe.

What specifically is killing your dps on the first door? Sand traps + Stone Gaze? Swipes?

TimeKillr

The raid has to be really careful about the Double Swipes, because he randomly charges a player and then starts his swipe. Flank him and then just get him back into position the best you can once he stops channeling. Use short-term CC on adds. Remorseless Winter, Frost Trap, Ursol's Vortex, or Disorienting Roar are helpful among others.

We never get killed by swipes, strangely enough. That we do well.

There is nothing special about it really, make sure your tank picks up all the adds, make sure no one stands in shit, and make sure people with the proper dispel are dispelling (the DoTs at each door can be BRUTAL if you aren't dispelling as much as possible, this is where the source of most deaths came for us).

You don't really need 500 ilvl, but, it is certainly tuned for people that is at least 496 since that is the gear you get from HoF/Terrace normal modes. When my casual guild my alt druid/priest is in downed him we were all floating around 495 ilvl.

Tell your dps to get smarter about charges. Also note that most of the 'shit on the ground' abilities are targeted, so you can somewhat control the escape paths you have to get out of charge/double-swipe.

What specifically is killing your dps on the first door? Sand traps + Stone Gaze? Swipes?

Essentially, what's killing our DPS is either a combo of stonegazer + sand and the dots. Mostly the dots, though - we've assigned our Rogue to be on the stonegazers 100% of the time and he burns them down really quickly, but it's still a huge problem as they'll always focus on me anyway (dk tank) so if he needs to run out of something, they're on me.

We don't have a priest, so it makes dispelling VERY difficult. :( Those god damn dots are HORRIBLE. I'll check the average ilvl of everyone in the raid, see what it's like - we might be undergeared... We keep getting shit drops in HoF and Terrace (last night we cleared Terrace in like 40 minutes, and every piece of gear that dropped nobody could use.) so it's kinda annoying.

**EDIT** Okay so it's not ilvl. :) The lowest player is ilvl 493, then everybody else is 496up. I'm 499, the other tank is 496, our healers are 502 and 500, and we even have a mage at 508.

Our problem is composition, I think. We have
Warrior tank
DK Tank
Holy Pally
Frost Mage
Rogue (unsure of his spec)
Hunter (unsure of his spec)
Ele Shaman
Destro Lock
Fire Mage
Resto Druid

No priest means no mass dispel means no simple clearing of dots :(

Sciz

Basilisks > Dinomancer to 50% > Big adds > Small adds. Similar priority hierarchies exist for the other gates, and if you aren't following them, you're in for bad times. Cleave as much as you can, nevertheless.

Don't stand in stuff, dispel everything, and keep double swipe out of the raid.

edit: re: sand management, we try and have the healers and ranged hang out by the wall so they don't drop sand in the way of where the melee have to move to avoid their own piles.

Tarazet

We never get killed by swipes, strangely enough. That we do well.

Essentially, what's killing our DPS is either a combo of stonegazer + sand and the dots. Mostly the dots, though - we've assigned our Rogue to be on the stonegazers 100% of the time and he burns them down really quickly, but it's still a huge problem as they'll always focus on me anyway (dk tank) so if he needs to run out of something, they're on me.

We don't have a priest, so it makes dispelling VERY difficult. :( Those god damn dots are HORRIBLE. I'll check the average ilvl of everyone in the raid, see what it's like - we might be undergeared... We keep getting shit drops in HoF and Terrace (last night we cleared Terrace in like 40 minutes, and every piece of gear that dropped nobody could use.) so it's kinda annoying.

**EDIT** Okay so it's not ilvl. :) The lowest player is ilvl 493, then everybody else is 496up. I'm 499, the other tank is 496, our healers are 502 and 500, and we even have a mage at 508.

Our problem is composition, I think. We have
Warrior tank
DK Tank
Holy Pally
Frost Mage
Rogue (unsure of his spec)
Hunter (unsure of his spec)
Ele Shaman
Destro Lock
Fire Mage
Resto Druid

No priest means no mass dispel means no simple clearing of dots :(

I suggest you have your Paladin spec for two charges of Hand of Purity in addition to dispels. That will really neuter the dots.

TimeKillr

I suggest you have your Paladin spec for two charges of Hand of Purity in addition to dispels. That will really neuter the dots.

Yeah I'll talk to him.

Doesn't Hand of Purity get rid of Triple Puncture too? He was going to keep them for that, afaik.

ZenaxPure

That's actually a pretty good comp to be honest, the less melee the better for the most part on the fight. It's a lot easier for ranged to DPS adds and avoid stuff on the ground. It means you have less interrupts available on the second door, though.

I wouldn't worry about mass dispel though, your 3 healers should be enough to cover all of the dispels on the first door, but, it's worth noting each door has a different debuff that must be dispelled. Second door = poison(but this has a cast time and can be interrupted), Third door = disease, last door = curses. When you reach those your DPS hybrids also need to get into the habit of dispelling since your healers won't be able to cover all of it.

I also hate to sling crap since I don't know your raid at all, but, is any of your dps not really that great? Before the HP nerf on the adds our DPS was having trouble but since then it became an absolute joke killing them, a lot of the trolls barely last seconds, especially fodder like the basilisks. But, the fight is certainly designed in such a way on 10 man that if 1 of your dps is holding you down you can get behind on adds very easily.

Sciz

Doesn't Hand of Purity get rid of Triple Puncture too? He was going to keep them for that, afaik.

Hand of protection does, which is useful if one of the tanks is significantly better at the adds than the other.

Only one disease dispel's gonna make the Drakkari gate fun.

TimeKillr

That's actually a pretty good comp to be honest, the less melee the better for the most part on the fight. It's a lot easier for ranged to DPS adds and avoid stuff on the ground. It means you have less interrupts available on the second door, though.

I wouldn't worry about mass dispel though, your 3 healers should be enough to cover all of the dispels on the first door, but, it's worth noting each door has a different debuff that must be dispelled. Second door = poison(but this has a cast time and can be interrupted), Third door = disease, last door = curses. When you reach those your DPS hybrids also need to get into the habit of dispelling since your healers won't be able to cover all of it.

I also hate to sling crap since I don't know your raid at all, but, is any of your dps not really that great? Before the HP nerf on the adds our DPS was having trouble but since then it became an absolute joke killing them, a lot of the trolls barely last seconds, especially fodder like the basilisks. But, the fight is certainly designed in such a way on 10 man that if 1 of your dps is holding you down you can get behind on adds very easily.

Okay, this helps. I'll talk to the people and see what we can do.

DPS-wise, we're typically... okay. We have some incredibly good players - our mages in particular are crazy good, our rogue's been getting much better and such, but it could certainly be higher. We had a WW monk that is an officer in the guild who got pissy and left our raid group, and thankfully so, since he's incredibly bad and would often pull 40k dps in all 496 gear.

I think part of the problem is that people fire on all cylinders everywhere all the time and don't really focus on specific adds enough. Keeping them together is a nightmare with all the sand and all that BS. I think making sure all the ranged are on the sides and not in the middle would probably help, but even then, I can't grip the big trolls, so I have to use my taunts for them if they run off to other people (which they always do).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom