• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayerx

Well, Silvershard was extremely easy to get. I played it as a horde, is this some sort of attempt by Blizzard to make up for AV? That track placement lol.

Edit: Got the second one on the first try too, now I can go back to ignoring pvp for the rest of the expansion :)

Westlo

Well, Silvershard was extremely easy to get. I played it as a horde, is this some sort of attempt by Blizzard to make up for AV? That track placement lol.

Edit: Got the second one on the first try too, now I can go back to ignoring pvp for the rest of the expansion :)

bu-bu-bu-but it's so hard!!!!

lol @ the people complaining about this, especially some people who acted like they had to pvp gear up for them or something. People actually using CC and calling out inc and the like > some avg geared pvp moron.

cdyhybrid

Do I have this priority right for a 2H Frost DK?

Basically:
  • Use Killing Machine procs on Obliterate if possible
  • Use Frost Strike if I'm RP capped
  • Otherwise use Oblit until all my runes are down and then Frost Strike to bring them back (I'm specced into Runic Empowerment, 45% chance to reactivate a fully-depleted rune) until I can use Oblit again
  • Use Rime procs when I have a free GCD

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
It's ok Yoshi. You can still jump on the next expansion hype train with everyone even if you don't play :)
I'll be playing more of MoP before next expansion. I love MoP so much, I played it 12+ hours every day for 3 months. Haven't done that since TBC.

zugzug

Ha. Was in dalaran looking for people to throw spring flowers on for the achievement. Found a tauren druid that had just taken the flight path, so I couldn't use the spring flowers. I followed them all the way into howling fjord. I figured CRZ would separate us, but it didn't. This person was from illidan, i'm from thunderlord. Spring flower success! They probably thought i was going to gank or something. I just flew away immediately.

EDIT: Bought the ring of the kirin tor, too. Probably not worth it, but i love all the items that give you a port to major cities.

Yeah, true. I get that I shouldn't be complaining about drops when i'm getting so many. but at some point I feel that's going to stop. These are potential upgrades that are going to complete waste. Not sure if it would be worse to not get any drops at all or get a bunch of duplicate stuff that i can at least DE or sell.

heh about following the guy for the spring flowers thingie, I remember doing that a few times and spamming the /wait emote at them and hoping they would stop and look at me long enough for me to hit them.

Slayerx

So it still looks like there are no dailies in 5.3? I haven't played a lot of ptr but those caravans and commanders are like certain events/rifts in other games *cough*? The quest campaign in ptr notes makes it sound like it's just regular story quests like 5.1.

Excellent.
While that would be cool, I wish they would have asked if the Felsteed will ever be able to fly. It seems weird that it can't when the Headless Horseman's Mount, Fiery Warhorse, and Death Knight mounts all fly.
heh about following the guy for the spring flowers thingie, I remember doing that a few times and spamming the /wait emote at them and hoping they would stop and look at me long enough for me to hit them.
Yeah I was afraid to spam /wait. I didn't want to draw attention to myself as if following someone all the way across Northrend isn't a little conspicuous enough lol.

Robin64

If anyone's on EU realms and wants the easter mount really easily, roll on my realm, The Sha'tar. The mount is account bound, so it doesn't matter where you get it.

Basically, the egg spawn rate is about 10x what it was now to take into account CRZ. Funny thing though, The Sha'tar hasn't been linked with any other realms. We're always alone, there's no CRZ in effect here. The egg rate, though, is still the 10x.

What this means is that a circuit of the Goldshire inn gets me about 20 eggs, I can't open them fast enough before everything has spawned again. It's a constant flow.

Westlo

- Do TOES LFR over and over and never get any caster weapon even though the first 3 bosses can drop them
- Is stuck with my inscription epic staff from when i hit 90....
- Finally gets the dagger off the first boss! No need to even bonus roll.
- Killss Tsunlong a moment later... now Sha touched caster sword drops... again without a bonus roll.
- Couldn't get a hatrick on the next boss though

When it rains it pours

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
- Do TOES LFR over and over and never get any caster weapon even though the first 3 bosses can drop them
- Is stuck with my inscription epic staff from when i hit 90....
- Finally gets the dagger off the first boss! No need to even bonus roll.
- Killss Tsunlong a moment later... now Sha touched caster sword drops... again without a bonus roll.
- Couldn't get a hatrick on the next boss though

When it rains it pours

Grats! I actually got the sha-touched staff myself last night, from a bonus roll, so basically opposite experience.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Also, I'm signed up for an Openraid MSV tonight. Hopefully it goes smooth and I get the 4 Sigils of power I need to finish the first step of the legendary quest.

In the past 2 weeks, I've gone from 3 to 10 sigils of wisdom due to the drop rate in Terrace. I've only got 1 sigil of power in the past like 3 weeks. LAMESAUCE.

Also, assuming I do get the 4 sigils I need: Does anyone know if the chimera of fear will be lootable from LFR sha if I already killed him this week?
Edit: just answered myself on wowhead. Looks like it's a yes.

Draxal

Also, I'm signed up for an Openraid MSV tonight. Hopefully it goes smooth and I get the 4 Sigils of power I need to finish the first step of the legendary quest.

In the past 2 weeks, I've gone from 3 to 10 sigils of wisdom due to the drop rate in Terrace. I've only got 1 sigil of power in the past like 3 weeks. LAMESAUCE.

Also, assuming I do get the 4 sigils I need: Does anyone know if the chimera of fear will be lootable from LFR sha if I already killed him this week?
Edit: just answered myself on wowhead. Looks like it's a yes.

I can confirm did it the last week. I also can confirm it's still 6k valor for the quest.

Robin64

6 fucking k...

Ridiculous.

It should at least take into account how much we've already earnt given how long it's taken some of us to just start that quest thanks to Sigil wankery.

Anoregon

6 fucking k...

Ridiculous.

It should at least take into account how much we've already earnt given how long it's taken some of us to just start that quest thanks to Sigil wankery.

Meh. They just decided "Hey, play for 6 weeks" as that step of the legendary. Not terribly inspired, but it is what it is.

Tamanon

Banned

Basically:
  • Otherwise use Oblit until all my runes are down and then Frost Strike to bring them back (I'm specced into Runic Empowerment, 45% chance to reactivate a fully-depleted rune) until I can use Oblit again

Yah, that's the basics, although personally I cast Rime whenever I get it procced in case it procs again. It's a really easy spec though, and I'm amazed at some of the numbers I can put out.

Finally hit 480 with my gear and I can check out the Thunder raid. Is it anywhere near as fun as the questing and scenarios have been on the Isle? Because that would be awesome :)

Tamanon

Banned
Finally hit 480 with my gear and I can check out the Thunder raid. Is it anywhere near as fun as the questing and scenarios have been on the Isle? Because that would be awesome :)

I've only played the first wing, but found it more compelling than the older LFRs. The bosses also seem to have logical encounters which helps.

Awesome! And apparently that's where sha-crystals drop? I don't know much about the whole sha-touched thing but I got a sword last night that had a sha socket.

And as a mage, I assume that if I equip a sword, off-hand is pretty much mandatory, right?

Berordn

Awesome! And apparently that's where sha-crystals drop? I don't know much about the whole sha-touched thing but I got a sword last night that had a sha socket.

And as a mage, I assume that if I equip a sword, off-hand is pretty much mandatory, right?

The gems for the Sha-Touched slots come from the expansion's legendary quest chain featuring Wrathion and involve you doing a lot of raiding. The sha-touched gem is no a relevant reward either, since new weapons don't have the socket, but other things you get from the chain are useful.

And yeah if you're a caster and one of your hands is empty, you're doing it wrong.

Sha Crystals are an enchanting material that you receive from disenchanting a Pandaria-level epic.

The Sha-touched slot is for the gem that you receive from the legendary questline, which Berordn touched upon above.

Robin64

Meh. They just decided "Hey, play for 6 weeks" as that step of the legendary. Not terribly inspired, but it is what it is.

It's not really "play for six weeks" though, is it? Because we've already done that a lot.
It's "take a break from making progress on the Legendary quest chain for six weeks".
It literally gives you a month and half of not progressing

And this is assuming you cap!

Berordn

It's not really "play for six weeks" though, is it? Because we've already done that a lot.
It's "take a break from making progress on the Legendary quest chain for six weeks".

It wasn't that bad if you managed to do it in 5.1, after you already had your gem and weapon and needed something to do.

It's absolutely silly that it still exists after, since there's a new raid and a new thing to collect.

The worst part of this for me is the fact that by the time you get your Sigils, you're already partially into your valor for the week, so it's actually six weeks of capped valor plus several hundred more valor on the seventh week in most cases.

Regardless, at least Blizzard has stated themselves that 6000 valor was far too much, so it's likely that we won't see this sort of an issue going forward.

Entropia

No One Remembers
On the same token, I think they're trying to reward players that stick with their main/character through the entire expansion.

ZenaxPure

I did nests on Ji-kun LFR today and all the eggs were easter eggs. That's adorable

It's absolutely silly that it still exists after, since there's a new raid and a new thing to collect.

Well, I wouldn't want them to remove it personally. The whole quest chain is supposed to be a huge time sink for dedicated people (like every legendary ever), and the rewards for putting in all that effort will get progressively better. Meta Gem this patch is pretty strong and if those capes are real (which I'm not sure I still entirely believe, the ilvl and stats are insane) it will only get crazier from here.

I just wonder what the final item will be. Legendary weapons seem crazy to me given how many different ones they would have to make, I'd expect something more like a really powerful trinket.

Anoregon

Yeah I mean, of course I'd love to skip the 6 weeks of maxing valor and jump straight to collecting the parts in ToT, but it doesn't seem likely that they will add any catch-up mechanics to the legendary chain since the whole point of it is as a carrot for people who stay active throughout the entire expansion.

TimeKillr

Basically:

Pretty much this, but first priority is you must have diseases on the target.

The actual priority is
1- Diseases
2- Oblit on a KM Proc
3- Frost Strike when RP capped
4- Oblit
5- Frost Strike
6- Rime proc
7- Horn of Winter

The only point I'm not 100% sure is the position of the rime proc, but I'm pretty sure it's at that position.

cdyhybrid

The actual priority is
1- Diseases
2- Oblit on a KM Proc
4- Oblit
5- Frost Strike
6- Rime proc
7- Horn of Winter

The only point I'm not 100% sure is the position of the rime proc, but I'm pretty sure it's at that position.

Yeah I just assumed keeping diseases up.

Thanks guys!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

The actual priority is
1- Diseases
2- Oblit on a KM Proc
4- Oblit
5- Frost Strike
6- Rime proc
7- Horn of Winter

Isn't Rime higher than Obliterate? Obliterate procs Rime, so it seems like you'd just lose the procs if you didn't use it higher. A lot of DKs tend to forget Soul Reaper too.

Zemm

I can confirm did it the last week. I also can confirm it's still 6k valor for the quest.

Wow. I did not know this. So this legendary quest is just a grind in the end? Really lame. I remember doing the boss in Stratholme to get the priest in our guild an Atiesh, now that was "legendary". Rok'Dhelar questline? Epic. This sounds awful and uninspired. I realise it's just a gem, but come on lads, you can do something better than this :(

Tarazet

Wow. I did not know this. So this legendary quest is just a grind in the end? Really lame. I remember doing the boss in Stratholme to get the priest in our guild an Atiesh, now that was "legendary". Rok'Dhelar questline? Epic. This sounds awful and uninspired. I realise it's just a gem, but come on lads, you can do something better than this :(

Wait until you have to win PvP battlegrounds..

Zemm

Wait until you have to win PvP battlegrounds..

Oh God. Please tell me that you can atleast spend those valor points on 522 valor stuff and that the quest only counts valor you've earned rather than valor you currently own? Oh dear Lord, please tell me that.

Zemm

You really should. I helped some hunters out on that quest with buffs and it was no joke. Same with the Atiesh boss.

Tamanon

Banned
Oh God. Please tell me that you can atleast spend those valor points on 522 valor stuff and that the quest only counts valor you've earned rather than valor you currently own? Oh dear Lord, please tell me that.

You can spend the valor, you don't just have to bank it, it only counts as you earn it.

Draxal

Once you start the quest, all future valor gains you gain count for it (you have to track the achivement to see how much valor you have earned). You can spend the valor anyway you want (the cap is 3k anyway).

The annoying thing is doing ToT while on the 6k valor part is really really annoying, as there are drops from ToT for the next stage of the legendary similiar to the original part.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

It's literally an expansion wide grind. It's significantly worse than any of the other legendary quests due to the fact that you have to grind for the entire expansion to get anywhere with it.

ZenaxPure

Really? I guess you forgot the part where you had to grind fragments for 2 to 3 months at a minimum before you could even get past the initial part. This new legendary quest chain isn't different from any of the others in the past except they add new quests, items, and grinds each patch. It's not like grinding 6k valor is the only thing you do, actually it's not even the first thing you do, the valor stuff was the stuff added in 5.1.

Bizazedo

Really? I guess you forgot the part where you had to grind fragments for 2 to 3 months at a minimum before you could even get past the initial part. This new legendary quest chain isn't different from any of the others in the past except they add new quests, items, and grinds each patch. It's not like grinding 6k valor is the only thing you do, actually it's not even the first thing you do, the valor stuff was the stuff added in 5.1.

Yeah, so far this Legendary quest is far easier than ones in the past. That and it's Legendary, it shouldn't be like a collect 10 bear asses quest.

(So far..I'm wondering if at the very end something ridiculous appears or if this'll be the "AND YOU GET A LEGENDARY..AND YOU GET A LEGENDARY..AND YOU GET A LEGENDARY" legendary quest).

I still remember back when WoW was coming out there was actually going to be a level above Legendary....Artifact. It was red.

Regardless, at least Blizzard has stated themselves that 6000 valor was far too much, so it's likely that we won't see this sort of an issue going forward.

Imo it would've been better if you could "gain" valor for the quest even after you capped at 1000 for the week, BUT, it's still like the older Legendary quests where you could only get so many fragments / etc a week.

Zemm

It's a gem that's barely an upgrade over my JC gems. That does not warrant 6 weeks of grinding after grinding some rep (although I got this just doing dailies) and those sigils, which I've gotten 1 of so far this week doing MVS and ToES. I thought the sigil part would be the final part of this questline because the reward is not worth anymore than that. Atiesh was worth whatever you had to do, so was Rok'Dhelar. This is a gem with no special stats or procs.

edit: Ok, reading up on it and it seems like you get the gem after getting the sigils. That's abit better. This grind after it better have a decent payoff though :/

ZenaxPure

It's a gem that's barely an upgrade over my JC gems. That does not warrant 6 weeks of grinding after grinding some rep (although I got this just doing dailies) and those sigils, which I've gotten 1 of so far this week doing MVS and ToES. I thought the sigil part would be the final part of this questline because the reward is not worth anymore than that. Atiesh was worth whatever you had to do, so was Rok'Dhelar. This is a gem with no special stats or procs.

What the reward is isn't the point, you're post was trying to say that Atiesh was some big epic experience when in reality it (and pretty much every other legendary) has just been a series of grinds. Atiesh was literally: grind 40 items that took a few months (even longer if your guild had bad luck/wasn't progressing through naxx), kill Kel'Thuzad, kill C'thun, then go to Strat and fight a special 5 man boss.

Anyway, like I said, it builds up as you go. 5.1 stuff added an extra gem socket for your weapons, this patch added a legendary meta gem that has unique procs (30% haste for spell casters, stacking debuff that ends in damage for melee, chance to take less damage for tanks, and free spell casts for healers). The datamined stuff for next patch (of course this isn't live yet subject to change etc.) has ilvl 600 cloaks with 3 secondary stats at 918, and a red socket. Assuming they stay with this trend, each new step will offer a better and better reward until the end where we will logically get something truly "legendary".

Zemm

Atiesh was a big epic experience. The reward definitely matters. If you're going to have to grind then there needs to be something worthwhile at the end. The boss (Atiesh) and the staff was that. So far the gem is worthwhile for the grind you need to do upto the sigils part. It was just confusion that I thought it also involved the 6k valor (which would have made it not worthwhile). I'm hoping they can add something similar to Atiesh and Rohk'Dhelar at some point though, if it only ends up being grind after grind then that will be shit.

Bizazedo

Atiesh was a big epic experience. The reward definitely matters. If you're going to have to grind then there needs to be something worthwhile at the end. The boss (Atiesh) and the staff was that. So far the gem is worthwhile for the grind you need to do upto the sigils part. It was just confusion that I thought it also involved the 6k valor (which would have made it not worthwhile). I'm hoping they can add something similar to Atiesh and Rohk'Dhelar at some point though, if it only ends up being grind after grind then that will be shit.

The gems aren't even the end reward, though. They're like bonuses as you continue the Legendary quest.

You understand that, right? The goal isn't even in-game yet and these are just rewards spaced out to act as breadcrumbs / keep lazy or impatient people going?

Zemm

The gems aren't even the end reward, though. They're like bonuses as you continue the epic quest.

You understand that, right? The goal isn't even in-game yet and these are just rewards spaced out to act as breadcrumbs / keep lazy or impatient people going?

Yes I understand this. I'm saying if it's just one long grind the whole expansion then that will be really lame. It's better than legendaries that relied on drop chance atleast, something like 50 Illidan kills and 0 glaives.

ZenaxPure

I'm not disagreeing the reward should be worth it (and so far it has, the meta gems from this patch look especially delightful) but you were playing it off that Atiesh wasn't some sort of grind while the new crap was. Just pure facts it boils down to this: 90% of the time spent on the Atiesh quest chain was just grinding, was the reward worth it? Yes, but that doesn't change the fact it was a mindless grind.

The new quests are structured the same way: Grind some -> kill boss -> get gem -> grind some more -> kill a named group boss in Krasarang Wilds/win some Battlegrounds for some reason -> obtain extra gem sockets -> grind some more -> do special solo scenario with Wrathion -> kill new world boss -> grind a bit and kill final ToT boss -> Get meta gem. We're not entirely sure of all the next patch stuff yet(I think?), but, we know that there is a quest that has you doing a solo boss-like challenge that is different based on your role (as in, tanks do a tank challenge, healers do a healing challenge, and dps does a dps challenge). It's pretty much like all the non-TBC legendaries in structure.

Looks like it's going Gem ----> Head Enchant ----> Cloak and I assume after that....trinket w/ mount/pet?

I was thinking a trinket as well, trinkets are always really powerful slots (look at stuff like DST and Mjolnir Runestone, pretty much BiS for a lot of classes the whole expansion). The only problem I have with a trinket is that even if it is super powerful, there is no visual for it which means you can never know if someone has a legendary or not without inspecting them which I don't see blizzard doing.

Zemm

They can add a visual to trinkets/necks, any items I think. The Talisman of Binding Shard (which only ever dropped once in Molten Core) had a ball of lightning swirling around you.

aznoktyn.jpg

ZenaxPure

I thought about swirling lightning ball as well, but, not sure if that's what I want myself. I think I'd prefer some sort of cool transmog item to go with it. Weapons would be the most logical choice, but, I dunno, you'd have to account for dual wielding vs. 2h, 1h + offhand vs. staff, might be too much trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom