• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

foladar

anywhere I can read up on top pve and pvp [bgs] classes? got rogue to 90 but not sure if ima fan. seems hunters are good and I've heard fmage and lockpve.

strafer

ToC was awesome because it stood on the integrity of it's encounter design. It was a minimalist approach that worked.
I thought the encounters were well crafted. Overall the raid was not popular though. New art and architecture are important.

Faction Champs was still one of the coolest encounters I've ever done though.

I liked it personally, but it was less popular with players not used to dealing with no aggro, interrupts, CC and the like.

You know, I did enjoy ToC, was tough in the beginning.

ZenaxPure

Yeah, I enjoyed the fights in ToC a lot, but, there is no denying that it was a lazy instance. Especially now that we know it's purpose for existing was to stall until ICC.

Even though the gear was modeled in the AQ/Sunwell vein (same models for each armor type but recolored) it's one of my favorite tiers overall, faction specific gear is pretty cool and the Alliance leather set, aside from the hilarious/ridiculous hat, is one of my favorite leather sets in the game. Dat chest model detail.

Robin64

If the choice was have ToC because of an ICC delay or have the ICC delay with nothing to fill the gap, well...

So has anyone in the world beaten Ra-den yet?

Draxal

Valkyr twins is one of my favorite fights in the game.

The beast bosses were also a favorite of mine, just because it was funny watching the yeti confirm which people in your guild didn't know how to play.

Westlo

Maybe this time they can have a TOC raid/content after Siege and inbetween the next expansion instead of nothing like DS.... though seeing as how quickly we're approaching Siege that might be the plan already.

ZenaxPure

Maybe this time they can have a TOC raid/content after Siege and inbetween the next expansion instead of nothing like DS.... though seeing as how quickly we're approaching Siege that might be the plan already.

I'm pretty sure their plan is to have an entirely new expansion out given how they've been telling us "fast expansions!" for years now. They've actually stuck to their word so far in Mists with faster content but it's natural to be skeptical after TBC, wotlk, and Cata pretty much failed in that regard.

I assume their current plan is new expansion 7-8 months after Siege patch, with 5.5 halfway through Org acting similar to 5.1/5.3 focusing on story stuff (probably focusing on the aftermath of Org + a lead in to next expansion if I had to guess).

Most of the ToC fights were great, but coming from the massively epic sprawling Ulduar and with the non delivery of an underground AN zone (which looked rather cool in the Development test map) and raid in the back of my mind, it was very disappointing in that regard. Ahn'kahet had some really amazing art, and thoughts of a whole zone or raid like that, even if they were cut early in WotLK's development... damn!

ZenaxPure

Most of the ToC fights were great, but coming from the massively epic sprawling Ulduar

Not to mention that ToC had pretty much some of the hardest gating ever to purposefully extend its VERY short life. Also even though the fights were fun (I didn't like faction champs myself but everything else was cool) every fight in there on normal was easier than pretty much all the Keepers and Yogg on normal, it really felt more like a side raid to Ulduar than a full tier ahead which was unfortunate considering it dropped higher ilvl loot.

Berordn

Yeah, if ToC was a sidegrade/supplemental tier more like SWP, I don't think it would've been an issue to anyone. As a whole tier unto itself it was pretty lame.

Trickster

Guildmaster just stepped down, and some of the good players in our raiding roster has stopped raiding with our main raid because they're unhappy about some stuff.

well-I-guess-thats-that-other-eccbc.jpg

Robin64

Patch 5.3 adds the ability to transmogrify to items that are located in your bank or Void Storage without having them in your bags. Finally! Always thought Void Storage would be used for this, was a little disappointed when it wasn't the case.

Draxal

Patch 5.3 adds the ability to transmogrify to items that are located in your bank or Void Storage without having them in your bags. Finally! Always thought Void Storage would be used for this, was a little disappointed when it wasn't the case.

Apparently already possible with a mod, but a great change.

Really doubt that we're going to get new instances.

But why is every major patch "New dailies hub and..." but no dungeons. Seems like lack of creativity.
Production-wise, dungeons don't compete with quests or scenarios. Dungeons compete with raids.

Really think how badly Dragon Soul/TOC turned out taught them a lesson.

ZenaxPure

Hrm, totally didn't realize you could get epics out of the treasure run. Just got a raid finder level neck piece that drops from trash in ToT out of one of the treasure chests at the end on my fresh 90 Shaman..... Too bad it's an agility piece since I hate enhance :(

On the bright side though, pushed me over to 460 ilvl so time to let people carry me to sweet loot in MSV.

Really think how badly Dragon Soul/TOC turned out taught them a lesson.

I just wish people would stop asking that stupid question, Blizzard has made it pretty clear numerous time that different people work on Dungeons/raids and quests.

Still not really bummed by the lack of 5 mans myself to be honest, never really been a fan of running them once I could raid, the only expansion I ran them post raid-ilvl was WOTLK because you pretty much had to if you wanted to maximize Emblem gain, vanilla/tbc there was no real reason to, and, in Cata vp was worthless if you raided. But, there is obviously people who just want to chain dungeons for what I am sure is numerous reasons.

Draxal

I just wish people would stop asking that stupid question, Blizzard has made it pretty clear numerous time that different people work on Dungeons/raids and quests.

Still not really bummed by the lack of 5 mans myself to be honest, never really been a fan of running them once I could raid, the only expansion I ran them post raid-ilvl was WOTLK because you pretty much had to if you wanted to maximize Emblem gain, vanilla/tbc there was no real reason to, and, in Cata vp was worthless if you raided. But, there is obviously people who just want to chain dungeons for what I am sure is numerous reasons.

I like scenarios over instances myself, they just seem to me more creative (insta q's also help).

ZenaxPure

I like scenarios over instances myself, they just seem to me more creative (insta q's also help).

Oh me too, absolutely. 5 mans always have to follow a pretty rigid structure or people get upset (see: Oculus, which is without a doubt my personal favorite 5 man in wotlk) but with Scenarios they can be as creative as they want. You'd never get anything like A Little Patience in a 5 man. I've actually gotten the 100 scenario achievement on multiple characters now haha.

ZenaxPure

The funny part is that the 4.3 heroics were made up of the stitched corpses of dead raids.

More sad than anything, the entire reason one of my friends decided not to quit after wotlk was the hope of that Well of Eternity raid. Would have been amazing from a lore perspective.

I actually ended up liking the 5 man for what it was (also for having one of the best achievements in the game) but a full blown Well of Eternity raid... fuck it could have been amazing.

Slayerx

Well of Eternity is pretty much my favorite 5 man in WoW (at least top 5) but I have to say it feels much closer to how I envision scenarios rather than 5 mans if that makes sense.

Tomboy

Neo Member
I know this is going to seem trivial to most of you, but I'm super excited because I'm up to ilvl 483 without having to use dungeon or raid finder (because I'm silly and would rather do things the hard way than crew with random people I don't know). The one guy in my guild who has been doing raid finder is only one ilvl point ahead of me. We're a tiny and very casual guild. I even manged to valor cap this week for the first time ever. Had a couple of days off work and spent a chunk of time running around Isle of Thunder helping kill rares, and another big chunk of time doing nothing but dailies.

This is the first time I've had a max level character, so I have no basis for comparison, but I'm loving this expansion. I love that I can be well geared (by my own standards, at least) without relying on dungeons and raids. Three guild members and I have been running low level Pandaria dungeons on the weekends and I'm enjoying being able to experience that content.

Scenarios. A guildmate and I did the very first one for Shieldwall right after 5.1 and grouping with one person was not as scary as I expected and it was super easy. How much harder do they get? Should I worry about not being able to pull my own weight if I did random scenario finder? That 50 valor is very tempting.

Sciz

Scenarios. A guildmate and I did the very first one for Shieldwall right after 5.1 and grouping with one person was not as scary as I expected and it was super easy. How much harder do they get? Should I worry about not being able to pull my own weight if I did random scenario finder? That 50 valor is very tempting.

Scenarios are designed to be self-explanatory and virtually impossible to fail. You'll be fine.

scoobs

I thought scenarios were stupid and a waste of dev time but I've come around... they're actually a LOT better than 5 man dungeons IMO. If they just completely got rid of dungeons and focused on raids/scenarios Id be pretty happy w/ that balance.

foladar

I thought scenarios were stupid and a waste of dev time but I've come around... they're actually a LOT better than 5 man dungeons IMO. If they just completely got rid of dungeons and focused on raids/scenarios Id be pretty happy w/ that balance.

Yeah, that's the first thing I tried at 90. Definitely interesting, alittle easy though.

Slayerx

Yay, got Taming the World, getting 6 different pets to 25 seemed to do the trick.

I would be extremely happy if they implemented 5 man loot table into scenarios somehow. I mean there are mini-bosses in scenarios....

ZenaxPure

I don't think getting rid of dungeons is the right approach really, they have a very different purpose. I mean, healers and tanks are generally a waste of space in scenarios (they can be useful in a few but they usually only serve to slow down runs) while they obviously have very important roles in a 5 man.

Yay, got Taming the World, getting 6 different pets to 25 seemed to do the trick.

I hope you're excited to level 30 pets to 25 ;)

Because well, I made it to 15 a while back and noticed an achievement for getting 30 pets to 25 popped up, and, it rewards a Pristine Trap. Didn't realize there was a third trap type myself, so that's cool. I am working on getting it right now since there are some more guys I wanted to level anyway.

Slayerx

I don't think getting rid of dungeons is the right approach really, they have a very different purpose. I mean, healers and tanks are generally a waste of space in scenarios (they can be useful in a few but they usually only serve to slow down runs) while they obviously have very important roles in a 5 man.

I hope you're excited to level 30 pets to 25 ;)

Because well, I made it to 15 a while back and noticed an achievement for getting 30 pets to 25 popped up, and, it rewards a Pristine Trap. Didn't realize there was a third trap type myself, so that's cool. I am working on getting it right now since there are some more guys I wanted to level anyway.
Levelling is pretty easy, I have this crazy idea in my head about doing the taming achievements. Obviously, I was totally wrong about baby blizzard bear -_- but I really need a stone to upgrade him, as a green I was often able to kill 2 epic opponents with him in pandaland. Water strider pet is so good against elementals, just summon rain, charge up your cannon and hit them for 1200+ damage. This whole feature is pretty brilliantly designed I have to say, apart from those stupid misses, you can tell that whoever was making it was having fun.

I was being very nostalgic about Karazhan today, my first real raiding experience in WoW. I would kill for that new feature to be scaling, I don't care about the classes being way more powerful now with more abilities just give us this shiny Blizzard. Experiencing BC heroics again, even WotLK ones...........(hell, I even loved some Cataclysm ones).

ZenaxPure

Levelling is pretty easy, I have this crazy idea in my head about doing the taming achievements. Obviously, I was totally wrong about baby blizzard bear -_- but I really need a stone to upgrade him, as a green I was often able to kill 2 epic opponents with him in pandaland. Water strider pet is so good against elementals, just summon rain, charge up your cannon and hit them for 1200+ damage. This whole feature is pretty brilliantly designed I have to say, apart from those stupid misses, you can tell that whoever was making it was having fun.

Taming achievements as in the actual Tamer ones where you capture one pet in each zone? Those are actually pretty easy. The ones for capture every pet on the other hand, well, it takes some time. There are a few pets in each continent that are fairly rare and will require some dedication, but, it's not that bad as long as you don't try and do it all at once. I only need 4 more pets myself until I am done with the achievements for capturing all the pets in the wild, but, 3 of those are rare and one of them is the Summer pet.

As for getting a stone, try to do as many tamer dailies as you can, regardless of level. The bag of supplies you get from the dailies has a chance to have rare pet stone in it. When I was blazing through the low level tamers in Kalimdor trying to get my Safari hat I actually got 3 stones as well. You also have a chance to get them from any wild battle, but, it's extremely rare. I think I've only gotten like 2 total from that method.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I want a dragon stone to upgrade my infinite whelpling (because camping spawns sucks) but haven't got one yet. I've got multiples of a few others, of course.

My favorite pet at the moment is the Kun-Lai runt. Take-down, frost shock, and whatever the freeze ability is (deep freeze?) are amazing synergy. Frost shock for chill, chill causes guaranteed stun on the freeze, take-down does double damage to stunned targets. Also he looks awesome. The Elder Python from isle of thunder is kind of amazing too. Just real solid, strong beast attacks.

ZenaxPure

My favorite pet at the moment is the Kun-Lai runt. Take-down, frost shock, and whatever the freeze ability is (deep freeze?) are amazing synergy. Frost shock for chill, chill causes guaranteed stun on the freeze, take-down does double damage to stunned targets. Also he looks awesome. The Elder Python from isle of thunder is kind of amazing too. Just real solid, strong beast attacks.

Yeah, the Kun-lai runt is insanely strong, I need to get around to leveling mine. Have a rare one sitting at level 23, just been leveling other guys first.

On the topic of strong pets though, a few of my go to guys are: Crabs, they can hit pretty strong and all have very good defensive capabilities, the Emperor Crab in Dread Wastes has the highest attack of them all but lower speed (which isn't a big deal). At max level his healing touch heals him for almost 500 damage (healing scales with power). The Wisp is Hyjal is very strong too. Has an attack that blinds and then an attack that hits twice if the target is blind, then while those are on cooldown I use arcane explosion which hits the entire enemy team...

And last but not least, Moths. Holy crap Moths. I am not sure which Moth has the highest stats but I've been using a rare Amber Moth from townlnog/dread wastes and he can mess stuff up. Moth dust hits for about 500 base damage and has a chance to put guys to sleep, Alpha Strike hit for about 500 damage if he goes first (which he generally does since he has over 400 speed with the flying ability), and he has Cocoon Strike which lets him avoid hard hitting attacks like burrow/lift off. Given how many tamers in Pandaria use aquatic pets I ended up using my Amber Moth in almost all of the fights.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I leveled a rapana whelk just to get me through the earth pandaren spirit. He's a critter, so he takes reduced damage from elements, and has a 25% damage boost poison attack plus dive, which is aquatic so does big damage to elementals. Pandaren spirits can't handle my snail.

ZenaxPure

Hmm, I have a rare one I should probably level then. The earth spirit gave me the most trouble out of the 4 (and I chose his pet so I could avoid him from then on) but I wouldn't mind crushing him since any extra pets I could sell.

Oh yeah, for anyone else doing pet battle stuff, don't forget the Darkmoon Faire is going on right now. There are pets you can only catch on the Darkmoon Island and you have a chance of getting the Eye pet from the tamer daily. Leveling up my pandaren fire spirit really payed off for this, he completely destroys the darkmoon tank the tamer uses, which gave me a ton of trouble in the past when I first tried fighting him.

Draxal

More sad than anything, the entire reason one of my friends decided not to quit after wotlk was the hope of that Well of Eternity raid. Would have been amazing from a lore perspective.

I actually ended up liking the 5 man for what it was (also for having one of the best achievements in the game) but a full blown Well of Eternity raid... fuck it could have been amazing.

I think it was sad because Well of Eternity and more stuff to it than Dragon Soul itself did. Although, I do think the way they told Benedictus's storyline in game was incredibly stupid, they're doing a much better job in Pandaria (except for totally retconning Garrosh's slight face change in Cata's story).

The only problem I had with HoT instances was welll they were incredibly easy, I do think Pandaria's and WOTLK's hard modes were harder then them at the time, and Halls of Reflection was alot harder than any of them. And there was nothing like a challenge mode to make up for it like Pandaria has.

I give Blizzard alot of shit for the story of Wow, but it's been less offensive in Pandaria, and they greatly increased the variable amount of content in the game, for the various skills level of Wow.

Berordn

I think it was sad because Well of Eternity and more stuff to it than Dragon Soul itself did. Although, I do think the way they told Benedictus's storyline in game was incredibly stupid, they're doing a much better job in Pandaria (except for totally retconning Garrosh's slight face change in Cata's story).

Considering Garrosh had four or five inconsistent personality shifts in Cataclysm alone, this isn't that much of a stretch.

Benedictus should've died at Varian's hands like they originally planned, I can agree on that.

Anoregon

I can't wait for Garrosh to be done just because of how terribly he's been handled as a character. It's one thing to intentionally make a character unlikeable due to being built up as a villain, but the situation with Garrosh definitely goes beyond that. His actions and overall arc went from at beast conflicted, but usually sloppy and inconsistent to "fuck it, lets just make him a cartoon bad guy."

mclem

Honestly I think it has less to do with the fact that loot is better on 25s and more to do with the fact that if you aren't a super high end guild good luck trying to get 25 amazing players, or even 20 amazing players. The guild I ran through Cata splintered off from a guild that was trying to be a 25 man. 10 of us decided to leave after we hit the magmaw enrage timer on normal mode. After that we ended up floating between 2nd, 3rd, or 4th on the server for the rest of the expansion while the guild we left also switched to 10 man and was ranked in the like the 80s.

Fact is, I'd quite like to just get enough players of our current calibre. We aren't great - still wiping on Horridon - but enthusiastic... but we do somewhat prefer the larger raids. The problem is finding sufficient *more* people who do.

ZenaxPure

Considering Garrosh had four or five inconsistent personality shifts in Cataclysm alone, this isn't that much of a stretch.

The more I think about it, the more I get confused, other than the quest in Stonetalon (which is pretty glaring for sure) where else did Garrosh's character shift in Cata? Can't say I really did many of the horde quests but I feel like they've done an alright job with him outside of that one quest when looking at him broadly. Through Wrath he was constantly at odds with Thrall and tried to fight Varian/alliance in general but wasn't in any position to do so. In Cata he got that power and started messing with them and when the other Horde factions started disagreeing he looked for other allies (which has led to the Blackrock and Dragonmaw clans being brought into the horde). Most of it, save that quest, seems like a fairly natural progression to me.

Fact is, I'd quite like to just get enough players of our current calibre. We aren't great - still wiping on Horridon - but enthusiastic... but we do somewhat prefer the larger raids. The problem is finding sufficient *more* people who do.

I think that's exactly what I said, haha. Unless you are just speaking broadly about not being able to find 25 people at all (regardless of skill), then, I am not sure about that. Every server/faction/guild situation is different.

Berordn

The more I think about it, the more I get confused, other than the quest in Stonetalon (which is pretty glaring for sure) where else did Garrosh's character shift in Cata? Can't say I really did many of the horde quests but I feel like they've done an alright job with him outside of that one quest when looking at him broadly. Through Wrath he was constantly at odds with Thrall and tried to fight Varian/alliance in general but wasn't in any position to do so. In Cata he got that power and started messing with them and when the other Horde factions started disagreeing he looked for other allies (which has led to the Blackrock and Dragonmaw clans being brought into the horde). Most of it, save that quest, seems like a fairly natural progression to me.

I was exaggerating a little, but going from Ashenvale where he's a bit gung-ho toward eradicating Warlocks to Stonetalon where he's a caring and contemplative leader to his implied actions in the Eastern Kingdom where he's an utter buffoon toward Sylvannas's bolstering her troops (but still demanding that they keep a foothold) to his utter incompetence in the Twilight Highlands...

It didn't make for a cohesive character, anyway.

ZenaxPure

I was exaggerating a little, but going from Ashenvale where he's a bit gung-ho toward eradicating Warlocks to Stonetalon where he's a caring and contemplative leader to his implied actions in the Eastern Kingdom where he's an utter buffoon toward Sylvannas's bolstering her troops (but still demanding that they keep a foothold) to his utter incompetence in the Twilight Highlands...

It didn't make for a cohesive character, anyway.

Well I figured that much ;)

But yeah, incompetence, acting without thinking, trying to boss Sylvanas around (which those quests I actually did do). Everything but Stonetalon seems par for the course about Garrosh to me, he's been constantly thrown into leadership positions he shouldn't have been given, and has floundered around without knowing what he is doing. I actually think it makes a lot of sense for him to get the allies he has now since the only thing he HAS been good at is mindlessly killing anyone who gets in his way.

His character is an idiot whose only "positive" quality being he is good at killing stuff. I think a lot of that is what makes his character the way it is, he's stupid.

Bizazedo

Not saying this is the case with you guys, but it really seems the big problem is that for a long time, 10's = 25's. Due to that, it naturally caused 25 man focused guilds to slide to 10. Now that 25's are "better" again, they're attractive, but you run into two problems.

A).They're not THAT much better than 10....

and..

B). Established 10 man guild masters don't want to give up their power by merging with others to hit the thresholds needed for 25 mans.

I understand why Blizzard did it, but I really miss 25 man raiding :(.

Anoregon

Not saying this is the case with you guys, but it really seems the big problem is that for a long time, 10's = 25's. Due to that, it naturally caused 25 man focused guilds to slide to 10. Now that 25's are "better" again, they're attractive, but you run into two problems.

A).They're not THAT much better than 10....

and..

B). Established 10 man guild masters don't want to give up their power by merging with others to hit the thresholds needed for 25 mans.

I understand why Blizzard did it, but I really miss 25 man raiding :(.

Yeah, my ideal raiding situation would be a fairly casual (BUZZWORD LOL) 25-man group of people similarly skilled to me. Just a night or two a week of effortlessly clearing normal modes, with maybe a couple of the more manageable heroics. The part of my life that was willing to spend a few hours a night, multiple nights a week, working on full heroic progression is gone and never coming back.

Slayerx

Taming/safari Outland done, getting the easy one out of the way first. Looking at warcraft pets destroyed my self-esteem though :( there are people will all rare level 25 pets, insanity.

ZenaxPure

Taming/safari Outland done, getting the easy one out of the way first. Looking at warcraft pets destroyed my self-esteem though :( there are people will all rare level 25 pets, insanity.

I'm going to be honest, I don't consider any pet that isn't rare worth using. The stat loss while not substantial is enough for me to not want to use them. Only one of my level 25 pets is not rare. Pretty much every pet you get from a drop or quest is rare by default so I tend to gravitate towards those when it comes to who I want to level.

bunbun777

Just found out a few days ago that my guild on Madoran is switching servers over to Stormrage. Not liking the price to transfer but the activity should make up for it. Leaving behind my gatherer and inscription/alchemist- will move those over eventually.

cdyhybrid

Just found out a few days ago that my guild on Madoran is switching servers over to Stormrage. Not liking the price to transfer but the activity should make up for it. Leaving behind my gatherer and inscription/alchemist- will move those over eventually.

We're transferring to Stormreaver. Kinda sad because I've been on Whisperwind since launch day back in Vanilla, but Horde side is deader than dead on this server. I'll still keep some chars here, at least.

On a separate note, Grand Armored Wyvern looks fucking awesome.

Tamanon

Banned
Huh, the stage 3 BS weapons are ilevel 502.

Trying to think of what I'll price my axe at, assuming I get an LFR weapon in the next 15 days lol. 30 days to make, 21 living steels, ~30 Spirits of Harmony. Maybe 30k?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom