• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdyhybrid

I WANT IT

Alliance or Horde, I've always really liked the Darkspear.

I'm just excited to have raid content that actually deals with core lore figures. Alliance vs. Horde vs. Garrosh and Wrathion's line eventually leading up to the seemingly inevitable Burning Legion invasion are right up my alley.

mclem

I'm just excited to have raid content that actually deals with core lore figures. Alliance vs. Horde vs. Garrosh and Wrathion's line eventually leading up to the seemingly inevitable Burning Legion invasion are right up my alley.

One thing struck me about The Burning Crusade, as an aside: Where were the Burning Legion? They may have been around significantly in the questing, but other than Karazhan and Hyjal, they had very little effect that I can recall in the actual raiding storyline; instead, it was all focussed on Illidan and his lieutenants; involved with the legion but in no way part of them. The Legion themselves only really reappear in Sunwell, which if memory serves wasn't really intended to be a part of TBC progression anyway.

For an expansion named The Burning Crusade, there wasn't actually a whole lot of the main premise of the expansion present!

ZenaxPure

One thing struck me about The Burning Crusade, as an aside: Where were the Burning Legion? They may have been around significantly in the questing, but other than Karazhan and Hyjal, they had very little effect that I can recall in the actual raiding storyline; instead, it was all focussed on Illidan and his lieutenants; involved with the legion but in no way part of them. The Legion themselves only really reappear in Sunwell, which if memory serves wasn't really intended to be a part of TBC progression anyway.

For an expansion named The Burning Crusade, there wasn't actually a whole lot of the main premise of the expansion present!

Well actually Kael'thas joined the Burning Legion. We don't really see the effects of it inside his raid unfortunately, but, it existed. But yeah, the focus of the expansion was supposed to be Illidan anyway, but, Blizz mentioned they didn't really handle that well in retrospect. I've always looked at the Burning Legion as supporting characters of the expansion, not the focus personally. The naming just made it all super weird.

Slayerx

I loved Burning Crusade but it never made sense to me that we went there just to kill Illidan. For petty revenge? I suppose he did give us the best WoW quote ever.

Entropia

No One Remembers
I loved Burning Crusade but it never made sense to me that we went there just to kill Illidan. For petty revenge? I suppose he did give us the best WoW quote ever.

If you played Warcraft 3... Burning Crusade -> Wrath of the Lich King makes more sense then Warcraft 3 -> Vanilla WoW -> BC -> Wrath

Apparently Alliance will be getting a different title, not sure what it is yet.

Aw. I bet it won't be nearly as cool.

Wait. Aren't Alliance characters working with SI:7 during 5.3? We could get something cool like "Operative". I'd be okay with that.

This is the first time I've played a WoW expansion from beginning to end, and I'm really enjoying it. I love seeing the conclusion of things. The Seige better be epic!

ZenaxPure

Well, story wise we went to Outland because demons started pouring out of the Dark Portal, Kruul began attacking cities, and so on in the TBC pre-launch event. Of course that's all really confusing when you consider that questing in 4/7 of the zones mostly revolved around Illidan's crew and most of the raids in Outland itself are about Illidan's folk.

Azeroth is under attack! Horrific creatures are swarming from a suddenly active Dark Portal and have rampaged into the Blasted Lands. Defenders from Nethergarde Keep have scrambled to meet the enemy head-on. However, even with the assistance of reinforcements from the ever-vigilant Argent Dawn, the forces of Azeroth need your help! Not much is known of the invasion at this early stage, but early reports from the battlefront describe wave after wave of demonic attackers charging from the Dark Portal. It is also reported that Lord Kazzak was seen departing through the Dark Portal. In his stead he has left his minion, Highlord Kruul, to sow fear and confusion among the defenders. Accompanied by a host of infernals, Kruul has been seen near a number of major cities in Azeroth

Based on the Illidan monologue in the opening cinematic all I can really think of is we went through the portal because demons were pouring from it and Illidan was pissed that we showed up so he decided to kill us.

Also now that I think really hard about it I can't even figure out a lore reason demons started pouring out of the gate to begin with, the Burning Legion didn't have any important figure-heads in Outland in the first place. It seems like a poorly thought out military strike. I could -maybe- believe that they did it because once Kael'thas joined the Burning Legion he gave someone the idea that using the Sunwell to summon in Kil'Jaeden and going through the portal makes the most logical sense. But that's a hell of a lot of speculation on my part considering I don't even know where in the time-line Kael'thas decided to betray Illidan.

Heh.

Even when this is framed as the "Alliance expansion", the Horde still gets Chen Stormstout and a lot of story heavy elements through Pandaria.

I'm not one of those people who cry out for Horde favoritism with every quest I see, but I still think it's kinda funny.

Video is damn cool, though. I want to get a horde alt to level 90 so I can experience the storyline from their PoV, but after a 90 Monk and a 90 Shaman, I just don't think I can do it a third time. :/

Slayerx

Heh.

Even when this is framed as the "Alliance expansion", the Horde still gets Chen Stormstout and a lot of story heavy elements through Pandaria.

I'm not one of those people who cry out for Horde favoritism with every quest I see, but I still think it's kinda funny.

Video is damn cool, though. I want to get a horde alt to level 90 so I can experience the storyline from their PoV, but after a 90 Monk and a 90 Shaman, I just don't think I can do it a third time. :/

I wouldn't say Horde is getting Chen. Both alliance and horde rebels are cooperating in Razor Hill and you will be able to see this scene as well. If it's any consolation Alliance gets Dalaran even if it's not reflected in Northrend :p If Dalaran is floating above Org in 5.4 I will die.

I wouldn't say Horde is getting Chen. Both alliance and horde rebels are cooperating in Razor Hill and you will be able to see this scene as well. If it's any consolation Alliance gets Dalaran even if it's not reflected in Northrend :p If Dalaran is floating above Org in 5.4 I will die.

I did feel pretty good about the Kirin Tor being an Alliance faction now.

Also, hahahaha, I wonder if that's how we're going to get in? Have Dalaran just flying about Org. I remember that there was a blue post or tweet that did reference Dal was on the move during the times you're up there for the 5.2 storyline.

I didn't think that Chen was gonna go all out Horde, but it's interesting to see him playing such a huge part in the Horde storyline right now. It's cool though! I'm not mad, just making an observation. I'm not 100% on Warcraft lore. Are Chen and Thrall bros?

Tamanon

Banned
From WoWWiki:

Chen's journeys eventually brought him to the land of Durotar, and his latest brew had a plethora of strange ingredients that he feared would be too hard to acquire. He almost lost hope for his recipe when he was met by Rexxar the travelling Beastmaster. Chen asked Rexxar to retrieve the ingredients for his brew - a barrel of Thunderwater, the egg of a thunder phoenix, and a sprig of thunderbloom.
Chen was overjoyed when Rexxar returned with the ingredients, and then mixed his special brew and offered some to Rexxar, who nearly toppled over from the shock of the volatile beverage! Then Rexxar asked if Chen was trying to kill him, probably in the rhetorical sense but possibly not.

Chen surmised that he would have to further examine the recipe, having completed one phase of his journey, Chen decided to pause his brewing and join Rexxar's adventure, so that he might better appreciate this beautiful, rugged land he had found himself in.[1]

Chen and company went on a secret mission to Theramore Island to help the horde find out why the humans were attacking them. They met with Jaina Proudmoore, who decided to help them out, after seeing what her father had done.[2] Chen helped Rexxar to defend Thrall and Durotar from Kul Tiras incursions. When the Horde was prepared they launched an attack that ended with the death of Grand Admiral Proudmoore.[3]

After the battle Chen spent some time in Durotar teaching the brewmaster ways to the mentor of Brewmaster Drohn before travelling on.[4] No one knows where he left afterwards, but several of his empty kegs have been found scattered throughout the Barrens.[5] Like the rest of his people, he has apparently maintained his independence, joining neither the Horde nor the Alliance.

So looks like he worked with Rexxar and Thrall before WoW.

cdyhybrid

Also, hahahaha, I wonder if that's how we're going to get in? Have Dalaran just flying about Org. I remember that there was a blue post or tweet that did reference Dal was on the move during the times you're up there for the 5.2 storyline.

I didn't think that Chen was gonna go all out Horde, but it's interesting to see him playing such a huge part in the Horde storyline right now. It's cool though! I'm not mad, just making an observation. I'm not 100% on Warcraft lore. Are Chen and Thrall bros?

I take it you didn't play WC3? Chen and Rexxar helped the Horde survive in its infancy.

Entropia

No One Remembers

Yup.

In the Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne bonus campaign "The Founding of Durotar" - Thrall, Vol'Jin and Cairne meet Chen and he helps them out.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Rexxar. Completely forgot about him. Really wish he would make an appearance. What he got in Vanilla (lol Onyxia keychain quest) and BC (Chilling at Thunderlord handing out a few quests) left a lot to be desired for such a bad ass.

I take it you didn't play WC3? Chen and Rexxar helped the Horde survive in its infancy.

I didn't, no.

I've been meaning to. I love the Warcraft Lore, but I didn't play WC3. My knowledge of it before WoW was basically because I worked at a cyber cafe.

I woulda WoWWiki'd myself, but it's blocked at the office. Thanks for the rundown, guys.

cdyhybrid

I didn't, no.

I've been meaning to. I love the Warcraft Lore, but I didn't play WC3. My knowledge of it before WoW was basically because I worked at a cyber cafe.

I woulda WoWWiki'd myself, but it's blocked at the office. Thanks for the rundown, guys.

Play the campaign at least, it's really good.

ZenaxPure

We're going to be flying Dalaran to Kul Tiras in 5.5.

Put money on it.

I'm 100% OK with this.

Also completely unrelated note, but, hotfix list just went out tonight. Pretty substantial nerfs to both Horridon and Troll Council in 10 man normal, so good luck to the folks still stuck on them.

I'm 100% OK with this.

Also completely unrelated note, but, hotfix list just went out tonight. Pretty substantial nerfs to both Horridon and Troll Council in 10 man normal, so good luck to the folks still stuck on them.

O_O

Can you tell me of this?

It bothers me that we'll probably end up winning now, because we were perfectly capable of beating him before, but whatever. I'm SICK of looking at that stupid dinosaur so I'll take whatever assistance we can get so I don't have to look at him anymore.

ZenaxPure

Stuff

Horridon
Reduced the health of Farraki Wastewalkers, Gurubashi Venom priests, Drakkari Frozen Warlords, and Amani Warbears in the Horridon encounter by 15% in 10-player Normal difficulty.
Drakkari Frozen Warlord now deals less damage with Mortal Strike in 10-player Normal difficulty.
Risen Drakkari Champions and Warriors now deals less damage with Deadly Plague in 10-player Normal difficulty.

Still need 3 different dispels in a 10 man raid encounter with nonstop raidwide AOE. Blizzard doesn't know how to tune 10-man raids.

I'm DPS, and I don't know very much about what healers have to go through for certain fights, but our guild has been talking about the specifics in vent about exactly what this fight entails.

Again, I think we're fully capable of beating it as it was, but the mechanics really did seem a bit much for the second encounter of a raid. I would have been less surprised if Horridon was in Ji'Kun's position, but the stuff healers have to go through for Horridon is just ridiculous.

Robin64

The actual reason the Dark Portal opened was dropped very quickly. If you recall, Kruul was leading the demons on their assault of Azeroth and would say this:

Kruul said:
"Your fate is sealed, Azeroth! I will find the Aspect Shards, and then you will not stand against our might!"
"Where? Where are the Shards?! You cannot hide them from us!"

And then these "Aspect Shards" never came up in the story again. OR DID THEY? Well the official site had this paragraph on the Kazzak page:

In his absence, he entrusted his most powerful lieutenant, Highlord Kruul, with retrieving the Aspect Shards. In time Kruul succeeded, and the mighty glaive was reforged.

With the Glaive of the Aspects and the raging desire to scour all life from the universe, the Legion may prove unstoppable.

Weird.

Robin64

Another week of killing the 10 bosses that can drop Sigil of Wisdom and I came away with.. 1 Sigil. Still need 2 more. This is ridiculous, let me move on from this stage!

Westlo

Another week of killing the 10 bosses that can drop Sigil of Wisdom and I came away with.. 1 Sigil. Still need 2 more. This is ridiculous, let me move on from this stage!

How do you not have enough Wisdom... they drop like candy... Power otoh...

Robin64

How do you not have enough Wisdom... they drop like candy... Power otoh...

I had ten Power months ago. "RNG is RNG" and all that. It really sucks. If there's a chance they won't drop, then given the amount of players, you can be sure some of them will have bad luck. In this case, I have.

ZenaxPure

Well at least I understand now why they came through the portal, but, that still seems like a really poorly thought out military strategy. They really had no one significant to lead them or do their dirty work, unless, Kruul is supposed to be really awesome or something.

Given the fact that Kruul vanished from the face of the earth I wouldn't be surprised if this story line resurfaced next expansion, Kruul part of it.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Got my last 2 power sigils last. 6 more weeks until I actually have relevant legendary stuff to do!

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Yeah, but the 5.3 part seems like it's just a quest with Wrathion and the celestials, not another "Do X for Y weeks" part.

Robin64

How do I get a sha-touched gem for my new staff?

Can't look stuff up on blocked sites here at work :(

You need to see Wrathion and work through his questline.

To get the gem (+500 in a main stat), you need to get friendly with him, then you need 10 Sigils of Power and 10 Sigils of Wisdom from the 5.0 raids and then finally loot an item from the Sha boss of the final 5.0 raid.

You need to see Wrathion and work through his questline.

To get the gem (+500 in a main stat), you need to get friendly with him, then you need 10 Sigils of Power and 10 Sigils of Wisdom from the 5.0 raids and then finally loot an item from the Sha boss of the final 5.0 raid.

Well good. I'm revered with the guy and already on my way to getting the sigils. Thanks!

I just wish raiding wasn't so boring :( It's hard to stand somewhere for 45 minutes doing my spell rotation over and over.

mclem

I just wish raiding wasn't so boring :( It's hard to stand somewhere for 45 minutes doing my spell rotation over and over.

I can't think of many recent fights that that would describe (Tortos as boss tank is the only one that's struck me as extremely dull). Or are you talking LFR?

I can't think of many recent fights that that would describe (Tortos as boss tank is the only one that's struck me as extremely dull). Or are you talking LFR?

I'm exaggerating but it really feels like that sometimes. And yes, LFR. I don't have time for serious guild raiding but I do really enjoy 10mans when I can get into a PUG.

I do LFR on my mage and my paladin and paladin seems a lot more "interesting". As mage, I was out of range of most things and rarely had to do anything other than cast spells. But then within melee range, there's a lot more going on.

I am a mage :)

Robin64

I do LFR on my mage and my paladin and paladin seems a lot more "interesting". As mage, I was out of range of most things and rarely had to do anything other than cast spells. But then within melee range, there's a lot more going on.

ZenaxPure

I'm exaggerating but it really feels like that sometimes. And yes, LFR. I don't have time for serious guild raiding but I do really enjoy 10mans when I can get into a PUG.

Honestly if you want to make LFR a lot more interesting, well, actually do the mechanics. I know that sounds kinda crazy but LFR works in such a way that the mechanics are there but are so forgiving that they can be nearly ignored in a lot of cases. But, at the same time the more people that actually obey the mechanics, the easier it makes the fight. Be the guy who goes into the spirit realm on Gara'jal, actually try to kill orbs on Elegon (a good dps can almost solo an entire side on LFR), don't let yourself explode on Amber Shaper, kill as many adds as you can on Tsulong, and so on.

Of course, though, at this point in the expansion in MSV/HoF/Terrace those original raids are getting to a point that heroic 5 man dungeons reach early on where there is enough people who outgear it in the groups that the mechanics don't matter as much. ToT is where it matters right now, there are still plenty of wipes to mechanics or lack of healing/dps and so on. As the months pass leading to 5.4 and LFR only people get better gear that is obviously going to change, but, right now is the best time to get into ToT LFR and actually have fun with the mechanics. The last wing will be opening this tuesday and I'm sure it's bound to be a complete train wreck (in the good way) for groups that don't know what they are doing, just like every other wing.

mclem

Honestly if you want to make LFR a lot more interesting, well, actually do the mechanics. I know that sounds kinda crazy but LFR works in such a way that the mechanics are there but are so forgiving that they can be nearly ignored in a lot of cases. But, at the same time the more people that actually obey the mechanics, the easier it makes the fight. Be the guy who goes into the spirit realm on Gara'jal, actually try to kill orbs on Elegon (a good dps can almost solo an entire side on LFR), don't let yourself explode on Amber Shaper, kill as many adds as you can on Tsulong, and so on.

Yeah, I've said a few times that I'd like to see a 'heroic LFR' where you actually have to pay at least some attention to the elements you can ignore in normal LFR. I'm not sure how they'd balance it, though; an LFR that gives a flavour of *raiding*, rather than the current LFR, which just gives a flavour of *the raids*. The problem with what you describe, though, is that you'll usually need an accomplice to get a full experience; for instance, unless someone takes down the orbs on the other side on Elegon, you're not going to get a feel for how they speed up.

Tarazet

Yeah, I've said a few times that I'd like to see a 'heroic LFR' where you actually have to pay at least some attention to the elements you can ignore in normal LFR. I'm not sure how they'd balance it, though; an LFR that gives a flavour of *raiding*, rather than the current LFR, which just gives a flavour of *the raids*. The problem with what you describe, though, is that you'll usually need an accomplice to get a full experience; for instance, unless someone takes down the orbs on the other side on Elegon, you're not going to get a feel for how they speed up.

In SWToR, they just let you queue for normal mode 16-man raids. Before the first round of server merges, what would typically happen is a guild group would take their two tanks and some healers, and queue together. The loot is identical to normal mode and you get additional bonuses for queueing up once a week. It normally worked quite well, even without the crutches we've gotten used to in WoW like mods, battle res, mass dispels etc.

ZenaxPure

Yeah, I've said a few times that I'd like to see a 'heroic LFR' where you actually have to pay at least some attention to the elements you can ignore in normal LFR. I'm not sure how they'd balance it, though; an LFR that gives a flavour of *raiding*, rather than the current LFR, which just gives a flavour of *the raids*.

So basically normal modes?

It's something I've been thinking about for the past few weeks, but, the intent of LFR is to be for people who want to see the raids but can't commit to raid times due to real life. The only reason the difficulty is so low is because it is, well, nearly impossible for a group of 25 complete strangers in a game as big as WoW to be placed in a group together and actually deal with mechanics. It's the reasons 5 man heroics went back to being a cake-walk this expansion, or have we already forgotten what LFD was like at the very start of Cataclsym?

So, my question is, what happened to wotlk style normal mode raids? Naxx was easily* puggable at the start of wrath and while Ulduar didn't really see that same treatment, both ToC and ICC became something you could just gather up fairly random people in trade chat to go and do. That went completely away in Cata for the most part. At launch BWD and BoT normal modes were pretty rough for the average player, who, were having a hard enough time finishing 5 mans anyway. MSV/Terrace is a bit closer to that wotlk style (HoF had some crazy enrage timers for normal modes), but, I feel like the addition of LFR probably made a lot of the playerbase not even want to try the real deal, but, I dunno.

Anyway, if I was working at Blizz I think I would try to tone down normal modes into something that is very pug friendly from the launch of said raid (and make normal mode versions of raid Cross-realm group-able from launch) and smooth out heroics to be something a higher percentage of guilds actually worked for since the amount of people actually doing heroics is pretty tiny anyway. I feel like Wrath had a good working model and people seemed to be really happy with it. LFR can still exist for people that don't have the time to even look for a PUG but, I think the purpose of normal modes has been swept up by LFR and transformed into something else.

*not lfr easy, but the average competent player could do it.

Draxal

So basically normal modes?

It's something I've been thinking about for the past few weeks, but, the intent of LFR is to be for people who want to see the raids but can't commit to raid times due to real life. The only reason the difficulty is so low is because it is, well, nearly impossible for a group of 25 complete strangers in a game as big as WoW to be placed in a group together and actually deal with mechanics. It's the reasons 5 man heroics went back to being a cake-walk this expansion, or have we already forgotten what LFD was like at the very start of Cataclsym?

So, my question is, what happened to wotlk style normal mode raids? Naxx was easily* puggable at the start of wrath and while Ulduar didn't really see that same treatment, both ToC and ICC became something you could just gather up fairly random people in trade chat to go and do. That went completely away in Cata for the most part. At launch BWD and BoT normal modes were pretty rough for the average player, who, were having a hard enough time finishing 5 mans anyway. MSV/Terrace is a bit closer to that wotlk style (HoF had some crazy enrage timers for normal modes), but, I feel like the addition of LFR probably made a lot of the playerbase not even want to try the real deal, but, I dunno.

Anyway, if I was working at Blizz I think I would try to tone down normal modes into something that is very pug friendly from the launch of said raid (and make normal mode versions of raid Cross-realm group-able from launch) and smooth out heroics to be something a higher percentage of guilds actually worked for since the amount of people actually doing heroics is pretty tiny anyway. I feel like Wrath had a good working model and people seemed to be really happy with it. LFR can still exist for people that don't have the time to even look for a PUG but, I think the purpose of normal modes has been swept up by LFR and transformed into something else.

*not lfr easy, but the average competent player could do it.

Honestly, there's going to be complaining no matter what they to and I think right now is a very good balance, obviously some fights have to be tuned better at times(10 man horridon), they can't make heroics to easy right now, they need the carrot for the best of the best to be the best of the best.

ZenaxPure

Honestly, there's going to be complaining no matter what they to and I think right now is a very good balance, obviously some fights have to be tuned better at times(10 man horridon), they can't make heroics to easy right now, they need the carrot for the best of the best to be the best of the best.

Well, I am not really saying they should make heroics easy actually, I am just saying that in the current model a lot of guilds don't even look at heroic modes as progression, they are barely scratching the surface of heroics by the time the next tier comes out (and realistically most guilds want to move on to new and better gear without even trying bosses they didn't do in the previous tier).

I more just think that the early normal mode fights should be easier at the start so average guilds don't start slowing down as much until near the end of the tier. With ToT, Horridon (and council to a degree) serve as a pretty big hump. I think that hump should be closer to the end of the raid. The same thing happened last tier as well, Terrace was basically free loot if you could get past HoF which was the real challenge (speaking purely of normal modes, of course). This could make it easier to PUG the normal modes (even if they weren't full clears like the first week the raid was out - which is an obviously unrealistic expectation). I think it would work out pretty well.

I'd actually be upset if heroic difficulty went down, having that really challenging content is the best part about the WoW raiding model, just feels like the bosses in the MoP raids could be paced better so that it gets progressively more challenging as you go through (with a couple easier bosses to break up the stress for people) instead of what right now feels a lot more random.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom