• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdyhybrid

Well, I am not really saying they should make heroics easy actually, I am just saying that in the current model a lot of guilds don't even look at heroic modes as progression, they are barely scratching the surface of heroics by the time the next tier comes out (and realistically most guilds want to move on to new and better gear without even trying bosses they didn't do in the previous tier).

I HATED this. We were making good progress on C'Thun back in Vanilla and then Naxx came out. We started raiding Naxx and never went back to AQ once. Still haven't killed C'Thun.

ZenaxPure

I HATED this. We were making good progress on C'Thun back in Vanilla and then Naxx came out. We started raiding Naxx and never went back to AQ once. Still haven't killed C'Thun.

I know the feel man. My guild actually got c'thun, but, we didn't do Ouro because time was running short and we wanted to actually finish the instance. Never went back and did him before TBC came out. Had a very similar situation in Cata as well, we were stuck on phase 3 of Heroic Rags but once DS came out we only did Ragnaros one more time and that was to finish the staff for our Warlock. Biggest regret of Cata was not finishing Heroic Ragnaros since it was one of the only fights in there on Heroic that I enjoyed.

Draxal

I know the feel man. My guild actually got c'thun, but, we didn't do Ouro because time was running short and we wanted to actually finish the instance. Never went back and did him before TBC came out. Had a very similar situation in Cata as well, we were stuck on phase 3 of Heroic Rags but once DS came out we only did Ragnaros one more time and that was to finish the staff for our Warlock. Biggest regret of Cata was not finishing Heroic Ragnaros since it was one of the only fights in there on Heroic that I enjoyed.

My guild did viscidius for the hell of it. Had to buy hurricane and use av ammo.

ZenaxPure

My guild did viscidius for the hell of it. Had to buy hurricane and use av ammo.

We didn't do visc because we were alliance. I imagine there was probably some alliance guilds that downed him in vanilla but not a single one did on my server from my recollection.

cdyhybrid

The worst part was that I hadn't gotten a weapon upgrade since the Fang off Vael! Was using Perdition's Blade in my MH and that in my OH. I was the only dagger Rogue in the guild so Death's Sting would've been mine :(

Draxal

We didn't do visc because we were alliance. I imagine there was probably some alliance guilds that downed him in vanilla but not a single one did on my server from my recollection.

Was alliance, had 10 paladins in the raid (some logged on to alts) just to spam cleanse. I also remember farming venom sacs from duskwood to make antivenom crap.

ZenaxPure

Was alliance, had 10 paladins in the raid (some logged on to alts) just to spam cleanse. I also remember farming venom sacs from duskwood to make antivenom crap.

Haha, my guild was far too lazy for that. We had to offer DKP incentives just to encourage people to help others farm Mara/first boss of UD strat for Huhu.

Tarazet

I've been playing my Draenei Mage to take a little break from Horde-side raiding. She's level 86 and just seems to be going nowhere, the content is such a drag the fourth time and farming mountains of Frostweave Cloth in Icecrown to level Tailoring is mind-numbing. I don't know if I'll even make it to 90.

I've been playing my Draenei Mage to take a little break from Horde-side raiding. She's level 86 and just seems to be going nowhere, the content is such a drag the fourth time and farming mountains of Frostweave Cloth in Icecrown to level Tailoring is mind-numbing. I don't know if I'll even make it to 90.

My third alt is stuck at 87. Don't think he'll ever make it to 90. I feel your pain :(

ZenaxPure

The difficulty of BWD and BoT for the normal mode, casuals, was criminal imo. Drove a lot of people away.

Yeah, honestly I think the difficulty at Cata launch drove more people away than any other complaints (lack of content, linear quest structure, etc.) The not so great people in our guild before we broke away in cata - they could barely finish 5 mans. I remember our tank (who was playing a healer at the time) did a Heroic Deadmines run with some of them and it took 4 hours to finish.

Not to sidetrack too much but I really did love the difficulty of Cata heroics at launch. The first 5 of us to hit max level formed our own little group and after gearing up to a raid ilvl realized that it would be a while before others were geared up, so, we went after the meta-achievement and managed to get it about a week and a half after Cata launch. Without a doubt one of my favorite moments in WoW, had so much fun getting all of those achievements, can just look at one and a crazy memory or story comes rushing back.

Probably my only real regret with MoP so far, since the guild xferred and I wasn't going to move my rogue over to horde side I haven't been able to do any challenge modes on him. Mostly just too stubborn to seek out new friends on the server haha, I'm still in the guild that was left there just re-leveling it from scratch.

ZenaxPure

Looks like Method killed Ra-den, took them 92 attempts apparently.

Hope there is a video in the near future then since I am really curious what the fight is like.

mclem

So basically normal modes?

The problem with just using normal modes directly is that they're designed with the assumption that a certain level of communication is directly available during the raid, which isn't really doable with a randomly-created group. I think it would need *some* tweaking. That sort of thing, though.

On the subject of 5-man difficulty: One of the first times I felt I really 'got' WoW was the first time I did Shadow Labyrinth. When you don't overgear it, the bosses in there are *great*; interesting mechanics, requires tactical thought, and a legitimately cool Big Final Boss. I do recall smugly commenting with the rest of the members of the group that there were people in our guild who'd really struggle at those fights at the gear level we did them; perhaps the first time I'd really understood the idea of skill > gear.

I'm not sure I agree, though, with the notion that normal raids should be easier than they are now. This is a tricky one to lock down, of course, but at the moment normal content is pitched damn-near perfectly at our guild. We *will* get through it over time, but we won't breeze through it. If they made normal easier, we'd coast through the normal content, and then be somewhat stuck because we're not really good enough for the current heroic design philosophy (and I agree with the points outlined about that heroic is at the sort of level it should be at; while they *could* make heroic easier to accomodate the difference, I think it'd be a bad idea.

In a sense, I think it's a flaw in progression. If you're satisfied with LFR, that's great. If you're interested in a level beyond LFR, though, it's a big leap to the next step up, and it's a leap you can't do alone. I think the solution that would work for me - although I can see many reasons Blizzard would be reluctant to do it - would be another level of raid difficulty; higher than LFR, lower than normal raids. I wonder if doing LFR-level loot but allowing it to be handed out in the normal raid fashion rather than being reliant on random rolls would be enough incentive for that.

And on the subject of normal generally being pitched at our guild: Post-nerf Horridon, we went from really struggling on the third door and often wiping on earlier ones to a raid which culminated in an extremely close 7% wipe. The fight now feels like it's at our level; barring disasters, we'll down him this week, I'm sure.

Slayerx

Woah, the latest patch notes. Mana pools cut from 300k to 240k? This is pretty massive, are they going to increase mana regen?

mclem

Throughout MoP I've been slightly weirded out by how *constant* prot pallies have been. Every other expansion has felt like a rollercoaster with rebalancing all the time and huge new mechanics when the expansion first hits. Being so consistent in MoP is a weird and new experience for me!

ZenaxPure

Also:

Creatures that are outdoors in the world and are Level-90 and above, now have a chance to drop Lesser Charms of Good Fortune.
Rare spawns in Pandaria (except Zandalari Warscouts, and Zandalari Warbringers) and bosses in Battlefield: Barrens will now always drop Lesser Charms of Good Fortune.

That's cool I guess. I currently have enough of them to last until around July on my rogue, though, and I assume the patch will be long before that. I guess now I won't even get close to running out even though I am going back to only doing dailies to cap my VP since my server is done with the isle.

edit: all battle pet dailies are going to award VP/charms now too, excite!

Now that I've seen the Horridon add nerf, I'm antsy to get in there and try the fight.

I got Nalak twice on my Shaman and my Monk. Gold both times.

The isle was at like 97% when I left to work, so I guess I'll be all ready for the end of it when I return home.

Tarazet

Throughout MoP I've been slightly weirded out by how *constant* prot pallies have been. Every other expansion has felt like a rollercoaster with rebalancing all the time and huge new mechanics when the expansion first hits. Being so consistent in MoP is a weird and new experience for me!

Same for me, I don't think they made any meaningful changes to the mechanics for Guardian Druids since 5.0. They just buffed minor things bit by bit until we wound up as the best tanks bar none. Double the armor of a Paladin, slightly lower health pool, active mitigation tools that make up for the inability to parry/block, and ridiculously superior damage output. The tradeoff is that bears are vulnerable if they don't have Rage, so I usually let our Paladin pull and always, always, always bank Rage before a tank swap. I don't use Savage Defense right away, though, because letting the boss get a hit in is a good cue for the healers if they weren't paying attention.

Westlo

That feel when you're flying to Galleon and he has 2% left and you dismount while in air and throw a hammer at him to get a tag and end up getting loot.

The best!

My third alt is stuck at 87. Don't think he'll ever make it to 90. I feel your pain :(

If I couldn't level my Paladin from 85 to 89 via pet battles... I doubt she would be even 87 atm... not looking forward to doing another one until XP gets nerfed in the lead up to the next expansion...

Though you might want to look into "monkey runs".... I think I will, it see if get advertised quite a bit on Frostmourne Alliance trade.

Slayerx

That feeling when you browse wow related forum and someone randomly spoils Bioshock Infinite ending to you....I am pretty upset right now :( On the bright side it motivated me to buy it and it was only $36.

I am trying to get a cloud serpent hatchling, how hard will it be to get the rare one? Also got a flawless battle stone in a random pet battle that can be used on any pet don't know which one yet though sigh.

Robin64

Also got a flawless battle stone in a random pet battle that can be used on any pet don't know which one yet though sigh.

Just make sure it's on something you can't naturally catch at Rare level. I've seen people do that and I'm like.. wha.

Westlo

Thank fuck they're making it easier to get lesser charms next patch, really have no motivation to get the 90 for a single character let alone my entire stable.

Mage - 49
Warrior - 67
Paladin - 4

Saved Instances mod is so godlike too, like I could keep track of what I've done without it.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Really? I thought any pet that was catchable could potentially be Rare. What are the exceptions?

None-catchable pets. Stuff that comes from crafting and quests is frequently green.

Into

Any tips for soloing Illidari Council as a Rogue?

I went Combat with Blade Flurry up and burnt through my CD's, i get them at 30% life pretty fast but then damage slows down.

Anyone got any tips? Ive tried to kite the Paladin guy around in hopes of taking less damage while regaining some with Recup + Shiv and wait for my offensive CD to come back up but i still take some damage

Half pvp epics (weapons and a few other pieces) and a few pvp blues. I know this is not the optimal setting but i cba raiding with this character.

I thought about bringing some pots and food and hopefully that way succeed, but if anyone got any good tips it would be greatly appreciated.

Robin64

Really? I thought any pet that was catchable could potentially be Rare. What are the exceptions?

I mean, pets that only come from events or quests are usually Uncommon quality. Those can never be Rare without using a stone on them, so those are the best candidates for stones.

Thank fuck they're making it easier to get lesser charms next patch, really have no motivation to get the 90 for a single character let alone my entire stable.

Mage - 49
Warrior - 67
Paladin - 4

Saved Instances mod is so godlike too, like I could keep track of what I've done without it.

Really? Most players I know have a surplus of lesser charms...pretty sure I have 300+ and that's WITH turning 90 in every week.

I wish there was something else I could spend them on.

Tamanon

Banned
I think it's because many players don't want to do dailies on two or three characters. Once your first 90 is valor capped, it's easy to just dungeon/scenario/raid to the cap pretty quickly. Thus, not as many lesser charms for the alts.

Really? Most players I know have a surplus of lesser charms...pretty sure I have 300+ and that's WITH turning 90 in every week.

It's a balancing act. Right now lesser charms are too annoying for characters who only have, say, a healing or tanking spec/gear because the kill rate of mobs is too slow. Having them now drop from the mobs they kill for those dailies accelerates their charm gain.

That said I agree that there needs to be some other use for lesser charms than the weekly 90 drain. I'm at over 1700 lesser charms and that number has no real way of going down.

It's a balancing act. Right now lesser charms are too annoying for characters who only have, say, a healing or tanking spec/gear because the kill rate of mobs is too slow. Having them now drop from the mobs they kill for those dailies accelerates their charm gain.

That said I agree that there needs to be some other use for lesser charms than the weekly 90 drain. I'm at over 1700 lesser charms and that number has no real way of going down.

They should allow you to sell them for gold, kind of like an employment "PTO sellback" system :p

ZenaxPure

I went Combat with Blade Flurry up and burnt through my CD's, i get them at 30% life pretty fast but then damage slows down.

I haven't tried it since the BF change (since I got lucky and got my warglaives + blindfold in just 3 runs) but, I have to ask, are you changing your glyphs and talents to be full defensive? If staying alive is a problem you should be using the clos glyph, the evasion glyph, and combat readiness and chaining them together, it gives you over a minute of defensives which should be enough time to kill them. Also the priest heals so you should be focusing on her to interrupt the heals as much as possible.

I think it's because many players don't want to do dailies on two or three characters. Once your first 90 is valor capped, it's easy to just dungeon/scenario/raid to the cap pretty quickly. Thus, not as many lesser charms for the alts.

Man I'm not going to lie, getting 90 charms (even after this change) every week on multiple characters and running ToT LFR on all of them sounds like a fast track to burnout. I have been running LFR on multiple characters for a while now, but, the only one I do it every week on is my rogue, I just let my mood determine if I want to do other LFRs on other characters.

mclem

As a tank with an established guild, I've worked around that simply by doing the dailies as a group each time they become available. It's not a particularly long time investment in that regard; as a group we'll get through them pretty rapidly.

I'm sure we'll lapse at some point - I'm no longer doing them every day - but that's allowed me to accumulate a lot of charms in the meantime.

(That said, one of my Things is that I Don't Do Alts. My highest-level alt character is in his mid-thirties, and was started back in TBC)

Bizazedo

I had a similar post ready to go (I'm at around 2500 lesser charms on my Warrior, to give you an idea), but I deleted it.

Westlo isn't complaining about how hard it is to get them. How he worded it seemed like it, s'why I almost posted, but when you re-read it four or five times, it's really a rant against Dailies.

And since he's trying to max multiple toons, from that vantage point I'd agree with him. It gets old, quick.

If he was just using one character I'd point and laugh, but for what he meant (I assume)...it really does hurt alts.

And alts help people keep playing, so this is a good change.

It still makes them useless to people like me with thousands, though.

Anno

So GAF, assume I want to do a 1-2 month nostalgia blitz. Is there a way to go through all of the vanilla/BC dungeons solo? I didn't get to see anything past Scarlet Monastery back in the day and I would love to now. If so, any specific class that fits them well?

So GAF, assume I want to do a 1-2 month nostalgia blitz. Is there a way to go through all of the vanilla/BC dungeons solo? I didn't get to see anything past Scarlet Monastery back in the day and I would love to now. If so, any specific class that fits them well?

If you're 90 you could probably do them half naked (in game =P) and blindfolded (IRL =D). You just run up to them and go inside, don't even need a raid to get into anything pre-MoP anymore. Some of them are removed or drastically changed though.

Edit: DKs are probably the easiest to solo with. Blitzed through BT with mine when it was a fresh 90 and like 430 ilvl.

Anno

Awesome. Assuming I want to do them before 90, though, is there a particularly good dungeoneering class? Seems something hybridy like a shaman or paladin might be appropriate, or does it even matter?

cdyhybrid

Awesome. Assuming I want to do them before 90, though, is there a particularly good dungeoneering class? Seems something hybridy like a shaman or paladin might be appropriate, or does it even matter?

Blood DKs are the best for soloing dungeons.

Blood DKs are the best for soloing dungeons.

Yeah what he said. About the levels though, depends how much lower you are... stat inflation really reached new bonkers levels of crazy in Cata and MoP compared to what vanilla and TBC content was tuned for. Some of the TBC raids might even prove a bit difficult at only 85 and only leveling gear? (don't know what you're starting from). Could probably do all of the vanilla stuff at 80 though.

Fun fact, Patchwerk took a 40 man group doing 9500 RAID dps to bring down before he enraged. Now a single person doing similar progression can do like ~125k single target easy.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Anyone got any tips? Ive tried to kite the Paladin guy around in hopes of taking less damage while regaining some with Recup + Shiv and wait for my offensive CD to come back up but i still take some damage

Half pvp epics (weapons and a few other pieces) and a few pvp blues. I know this is not the optimal setting but i cba raiding with this character.

I thought about bringing some pots and food and hopefully that way succeed, but if anyone got any good tips it would be greatly appreciated.

The only thing I've been able to do is Combat, Blade Flurry and then immediately rip open Killing Spree, then Adrenaline Rush/Shadow Blades and just hope you can get em all down within a few seconds of when it ends. I barely, barely, could do it at 475 ilvl.

ZenaxPure

Down to just Disruptron for the rank 8 Brawler's Guild fights, managed to memorize the laser beam patterns on Zen'shar and win, didn't fuck up Epicus Maximus (which is probably the easiest to make an error on), and got another 5 ilvls this week which pushed me over the edge for the DPS requirement on Millhouse (kept wiping at 2-3% every time I did him).

Disruptron is proving to be problematic, though. I love the laser beam mechanic but you really have to practice jumping it with a consistent latency, first few times I did him I was sitting around 40 ms and was making the jumps fine but lately while doing it I've been sitting at around 85 ms which is just enough for me to have to completely re-learn my timing on when to jump over the beams. It's a cool mechanic, but, not very internet friendly.

Berordn

Down to just Disruptron for the rank 8 Brawler's Guild fights, managed to memorize the laser beam patterns on Zen'shar and win, didn't fuck up Epicus Maximus (which is probably the easiest to make an error on), and got another 5 ilvls this week which pushed me over the edge for the DPS requirement on Millhouse (kept wiping at 2-3% every time I did him).

Disruptron is proving to be problematic, though. I love the laser beam mechanic but you really have to practice jumping it with a consistent latency, first few times I did him I was sitting around 40 ms and was making the jumps fine but lately while doing it I've been sitting at around 85 ms which is just enough for me to have to completely re-learn my timing on when to jump over the beams. It's a cool mechanic, but, not very internet friendly.

Ugh, I've been meaning to go back to those. Haven't touched them since Epicus Maximus the first day I hit rank 8. Disruptron always looks terrifying, though.

ZenaxPure

Ugh, I've been meaning to go back to those. Haven't touched them since Epicus Maximus the first day I hit rank 8. Disruptron always looks terrifying, though.

Since my rogue is only doing LFR and such I've had to take my time with it, but I think I enjoyed it more that way honestly. Made it to up to rank 6 with some blues still equipped (and no buffs I couldn't provide myself) but the raven boss was pretty much the hardest thing ever as an undergeared rogue so I had to wait a bit. Finally went back and got up to rank 8 at the start of this patch but hit an obvious cap again where I needed better gear (I think I hit rank 8 at around 488 ilvl). I hit 498 equipped this week and was barely able to pull off Millhouse (no buffs but my own still). Zen'shar has a light enrage timer but you have to learn the patterns of those laser beams.

I really want to try to finish up before 5.3 since my love for mounts means I will be hitting the new braweler's guild content a lot harder than I was before and the card system looks pretty awesome as a way to add more bosses without constantly having to increase the overall rank and difficulty.

Loxley

If any of you happen to play Alliance on Stormrage and feel like your guild may have room for a level 25 dwarf warrior who is the most baddest-of-asses, let me know :)

CassSept

The only thing I've been able to do is Combat, Blade Flurry and then immediately rip open Killing Spree, then Adrenaline Rush/Shadow Blades and just hope you can get em all down within a few seconds of when it ends. I barely, barely, could do it at 475 ilvl.

This, and stick to Malande. If the first heal goes through you're probably toast. I've been managing downing them before the heal only recently at over 490 ilvl, before that it's imperative you watch out for CoHs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom