• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sethos

Banned
Fellow WoWers, I have a slight problem.

So I recently dinged 90 ( Two days ago ) and slowly working towards 470 gear. Need a VP item to get there and I have the VP. Unfortunately I need Shado-Pan Honored but I'm 30 rep away from it ... I don't have access to the dailies due to not having GL rep and I can't get any more rep from running instances.

Any way to get 30 Rep fairly quick in my position or am I SOL until next maintenance?

ZenaxPure

So I recently dinged 90 ( Two days ago ) and slowly working towards 470 gear. Need a VP item to get there and I have the VP. Unfortunately I need Shado-Pan Honored but I'm 30 rep away from it ... I don't have access to the dailies due to not having GL rep and I can't get any more rep from running instances.

Any way to get 30 Rep fairly quick in my position or am I SOL until next maintenance?

Yes, Zandalari Warcouts are your friend! Every Mists zone with a coast will generally have 2 up at a time, at your gear level they will be fairly challenging, but, not impossible (as I was able to kill them on level 89 alts in quest greens, just takes like 6-7 minutes). They drop a random rep token for GL, Shado-pan, Celestials, or Klaxxi worth 1000 rep. Very short respawn timers.

Also, worth noting before you spend that VP. Have you bought the ilvl 522 neck piece from the Shado-pan Assault (different from Shado-pan!) rep? It only requires neutral and has a fairly low VP cost. That should be the first item you buy if you have the VP.

Furthermore, you should turn all your JP into honor, you can buy ilvl 476 pvp pieces now which is great for fresh 90s.

Berordn

See if someone will let you tag along to kill Warbringers, or kill Warscouts on your own. They drop tokens that give you 1000 rep a piece.

Sethos

Banned
Thanks for the suggestion on the Warscouts. I have a 'raiding' friend that is currently helping me with just about everything. Doubt she'll mind dropping a few of those with me.

Right now I only have around 700VP, so the necklace is still a bit out - Maybe I should save up for that instead. I honestly didn't know it was there.

Saving my JPs for looms, we're planning on doing a few alts and wanna be fully loomed up.

Appreciate the input guys :)

EDIT: Also, any dailies that reward VP I could do, that are unlocked from the get-go?

ZenaxPure

Saving my JPs for looms, we're planning on doing a few alts and wanna be fully loomed up.

Yeah, that's a valid way to go, once you get 470 you have access to a lot of loot through LFR.

Something else you should do (especially before the reset) is head over to the Isle of Thunder and find a rare spawn other people are attacking and kill it. They drop a key that can be used for a solo scenario that is a treasure run. You get 5 minutes to work your way through a few rooms full of treasure, avoiding traps and so on to collect as much stuff as you can. The most important item is Elder Charms which can be found in most chests and offer you a bonus roll for loot on raid bosses. Also if you happen to find any special keys during it, there are locked treasure chests at the end that can have ilvl 502 epics in them.

Also currently all MoP dailies have VP except for the pet battle ones (which will next patch), from the start you have access to the Tillers (valley of 4 winds), Cloud Serpent (jade forest), Anglers (Krasarang wilds), and Golden Lotus (vale of eternal blossoms), Dominance Offensive/Operation Shieldwall (depending on faction, also in Krasarang wilds), and Isle of Thunder.

Depending on your general feelings toward questing you will need to moderate yourself, don't feel like you need to do every hub because it's a daily that resets every single day, just do them if you find them fun, there are nothing but vanity rewards from most of the factions you have access to at the start, so, go at your own pace. If you don't enjoy questing there plenty of other easy ways to gain VP.

Honestly chain running scenarios (instant queues) or heroics is probably the best way to farm VP if you need it, unless you just want to do the dailies.

Also, heirlooms are having their prices slashed by ~60% in 5.3, although that's still a ways away (monthish?)

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Honestly chain running scenarios (instant queues) or heroics is probably the best way to farm VP if you need it, unless you just want to do the dailies.

Also, heirlooms are having their prices slashed by ~60% in 5.3, although that's still a ways away (monthish?)

Heirlooms are already very easy to get with 120 JP per heroic boss. It's literally the only thing im spending my JP for.. upgrading lvl 80 heirlooms to 85.

Heirlooms are already very easy to get with 120 JP per heroic boss. It's literally the only thing im spending my JP for.. upgrading lvl 80 heirlooms to 85.

That's true, but it's still 111 boss kills right now to get my recently 80 hunter's heirlooms up to 85, as I've been doing JP to honor. Yeah I could farm it before 5.3, or even just get the hunter to 90 easily before 5.3, but since I don't have any big end-game plans with that character anyway it's definitely more appealing to me to wait it out for the price cut than spend those extra hours in heroics.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!

The items themselves aren't being reduced in price, just the cost to upgrade from max level 80 to max level 85.

Westlo

Fucking sha in Toes, all i needed was a single drop off him (helm or 2h-axe) so I can get straight into throne of thunder after clearing HOF/TOES for the first time... and no drop, dat double gold :(

Getting tier tokens even though you have better gear is pretty good for classes who need 2 or 3 diff gear sets, already got a healing chest + shoulders now for more 2nd spec.

They really need to up the VP weekly cap. I keep maxing out, just from running a few instances and doing a few LFRs and dailies, by like, Thursday. It's annoying.

I've never maxed out my valor ever.

ZenaxPure

They really need to up the VP weekly cap. I keep maxing out, just from running a few instances and doing a few LFRs and dailies, by like, Thursday. It's annoying.

I actually like it being as easy to cap as it is now myself, instead of having to do a bunch of stuff each day to maybe reach the cap now I can just do fewer things I enjoy doing over the course of the week and hit the cap by reset. 5.2 is the first time since the start of the expansion (where I was doing every daily hub every day for rep) where I've managed to actually hit the cap each week. I just don't like running 5 mans so the majority of my vp comes from Scenarios, dailies, and the rare spawns on IoT.

I think the better solution is actually having JP replace VP when you hit the VP cap, dunno why the heck that was removed in Mists.

TheYanger

Ef that. As it is I never want to get valor. 5.3 look way better than 5.1 in that regard, item upgrading last tier was pure awfulness.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I just solo'd my first Zandalari warbringer. Man, that Kanrethad fight really did make me better at warlock.

Nokterian

Ok so one thing for sure what i want is the recruit a friend mount. So damn awesome to turn in mount but i do now anyone who wants to play. Great benefits for both and i can level up a char to 80 without a sweat.

ZenaxPure

I actually started brawlers guild last night. Hit rank 8 today, but don't feel like bothering with the 4 big bad bosses right now.

I've really enjoyed the rank 8 guys, only complaint is that damn laser beam on Disruptron but it's not even because the mechanic is broken or anything.

Anoregon

I had a bitch of a time with the rank 7 undead dude, with the ghosts. I killed him but died at the same time like 4 times.

ZenaxPure

I had a bitch of a time with the rank 7 undead dude, with the ghosts. I killed him but died at the same time like 4 times.

You're lucky your a warlock honestly, that is without a doubt one of the hardest fights for melee, the range on the Ghost's melee attack is insane.

RkOwnage

Is there a Gaf Alliance guild recruiting anyone just to hang out and do RF and stuff? I Don't play Hardcore but I am tired of being the only one in my guild.

Just curious :)

Westlo

Heroic Scenarios give 120 valor + cache with a chance for 516 epic gear in them....

Maybe I'll finally Valor Cap a character...

7x Heroic Scenarios = 840 Valor + 2 lfr wings = cap.

Of course if you get the bonus objectives every time you can cap just with heroic scenarios.

mclem

Is Brawler's guild effectively only for DPS, still? I'd like to try it but I'm a dedicated tank and I doubt there's much hope of meeting DPS requirements.

ZenaxPure

Edit: Something I forgot to mention that I found interesting, you can totally still get all the normal rewards you get from winning pet battles in random pvp pet battles. I decided to give the pvp a try for the first time yesterday and I was pleasantly surprised when I defeated some guy and was rewarded with a pet battle stone and 5 lesser charms.

Is Brawler's guild effectively only for DPS, still? I'd like to try it but I'm a dedicated tank and I doubt there's much hope of meeting DPS requirements.

Yeah, DPS only. You can probably make it pretty far as a tank actually (and a priest for that matter, I saw a damn disc/holy priest go through 5 ranks) but at the higher levels you will probably not be able to catch up with the strict enrage timers. Some of the later fights require 95k+ sustained dps.

Hopefully Proving Grounds will come for tanks/healers in 5.4!

Tarazet

Our podunk guild finally got Empress down with the help of a couple of ringer DPS. 16/16 for T14 about a month late, but I'm glad we don't have to go there again. Bad luck this week on LFR was balanced out by getting my #1 choice of trinket from Jin'rokh and a T14 chest from the Empress. Sitting at 505 and will go higher when I buy the 522 legs later today.

mclem

Yeah, DPS only. You can probably make it pretty far as a tank actually (and a priest for that matter, I saw a damn disc/holy priest go through 5 ranks) but at the higher levels you will probably not be able to catch up with the strict enrage timers. Some of the later fights require 95k+ sustained dps.

I'm wondering if it might be worthwhile as a tool with which to teach myself retri play.

I need to start using up some of my pet battle stones, they're cluttering up my bags. Is there a go-to guide listing all oneshot pets which you can't get as rare that I can crossreference against?

ZenaxPure

I need to start using up some of my pet battle stones, they're cluttering up my bags. Is there a go-to guide listing all oneshot pets which you can't get as rare that I can crossreference against?

The in game pet journal is actually VERY robust. If you open it, click on filter then sources you can filter out pets based on how they are obtained (Capturing, quest pets, vendor pets, crafting pets, etc.) Quest pets will probably be the most relevant for you since those are 1 time per character.

mclem

The in game pet journal is actually VERY robust. If you open it, click on filter then sources you can filter out pets based on how they are obtained (Capturing, quest pets, vendor pets, crafting pets, etc.) Quest pets will probably be the most relevant for you since those are 1 time per character.

D'oh. I know it's robust, I've used it loads, yet I seem to have completely missed that you could filter by means of acquiring them! Thanks.

Sethos

Banned
Another newbie question. Just did the dread approach, thinking that would open up Nightmare of Shek'Zeer and Terrance of Endless Spring LFR. However it still says I need an achievement ... What achievement is that?

Another newbie question. Just did the dread approach, thinking that would open up Nightmare of Shek'Zeer and Terrance of Endless Spring LFR. However it still says I need an achievement ... What achievement is that?

You need to have killed all three bosses in the Dread Approach LFR to unlock Nightmare, and kill all the bosses in Nightmare to unlock Terrace LFR.

Berordn

It should open Nightmare, but not Terrace. You also have to have killed all the bosses in it for the Dread Approach achievement, which unlocks the next step. If you joined part-way in, you have to run it again (but the queue should put you in a spot at the beginning).

Sethos

Banned
You need to have killed all three bosses in the Dread Approach LFR to unlock Nightmare, and kill all the bosses in Nightmare to unlock Terrace LFR.

Oh there's 3 bosses in Dread Approach? That explains it. We did one and everybody left, I thought that was it.

Silly me, thanks man.

ZenaxPure

Oh there's 3 bosses in Dread Approach? That explains it. We did one and everybody left, I thought that was it.

You may have gotten into a run in progress. They removed the counter from the LFR que pop up that told how many bosses were down in the run because a lot of people were declining the pop up if x bosses were dead which increased the que times for everyone.

Mudo

Alright, I have decided to come back and try WOW again. GW2 bored me and the last I played WOW was for a week after Cataclysm came out. Should I buy a boxed copy or just download it? Also, I feel lost already. I am planning to start a new character but have no idea what the best place to level is or how classes have changed. Anyone have a good resource especially for leveling? I'd like to try out new zones if there are enough to level up through

TheYanger

Alright, I have decided to come back and try WOW again. GW2 bored me and the last I played WOW was for a week after Cataclysm came out. Should I buy a boxed copy or just download it? Also, I feel lost already. I am planning to start a new character but have no idea what the best place to level is or how classes have changed. Anyone have a good resource especially for leveling? I'd like to try out new zones if there are enough to level up through

If you haven't actually done the revamped old world cata stuff, then you won't run into 'old' content until BC/Wrath. As far as how to level...how do you want to level? You can do whatever you like at this point. If you enjoy questing, just follow questlines through zones they flow very naturally now, and there are 'boards' in each of the major cities that will always direct you to level appropriate zones so if you leave questing to do some dungeons you can pick right back up.

It really is as much up to you as you want.

RkOwnage

Still looking for any kind of GAF Alliance guild. Friction has said he has one but he is the only member, looking for a group of people to chat with while I play. I don't expect any kind of raiding spot or anything like that, just a community to talk w/ while I play. Otherwise I get bored and quit :(

mclem

Still looking for any kind of GAF Alliance guild. Friction has said he has one but he is the only member, looking for a group of people to chat with while I play. I don't expect any kind of raiding spot or anything like that, just a community to talk w/ while I play. Otherwise I get bored and quit :(

I assume you're talking US? My guild's a friendly EU one; I'm the only GAFfer (well, one other recently got their membership through, but we're not a 'GAF guild'. If you just want reasonable company, we'd fit the bill.

So I played the startet Edition of WOW (with pandarean expansion). I tought Silvermoon would look different, its have the same locations and quests, I heard other factions locations changed drastically after Cata.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom