• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nokterian

I am also on the EU playing on Emerald Dream (one of the first servers at the beginning and still my home until this day). There is still a lot of spots left in my guild,can invite if people want to join? It is a more casual guild and it is level 25 so that is good for leveling. Janis Angels and if you want to find me in-game my nickname is Nokterian just like here and if i am not on there i have my other chars named Ozgiliath and Letji.

More gaffers the merrier i should say! :)

ZenaxPure

So I played the startet Edition of WOW (with pandarean expansion). I tought Silvermoon would look different, its have the same locations and quests, I heard other factions locations changed drastically after Cata.

Everything pre-tbc changed. Anything involved with TBC (which would include Blood Elf and Draenei starting zones) are pretty much exactly the same as they were back at TBCs launch.

SkyandSun

Banned
Can anyone throw a scroll of resurrection my way (will PM account name)? Never used one before so not 100% sure how it works. Am in the EU, if that makes a difference. Thanks:)

Edit: actually I don't think it will work, as my account has been active in the past year (which I think has not to be the case for the scroll to work)...

mclem

Can anyone throw a scroll of resurrection my way (will PM account name)? Never used one before so not 100% sure how it works. Am in the EU, if that makes a difference. Thanks:)

Edit: actually I don't think it will work, as my account has been active in the past year (which I think has not to be the case for the scroll to work)...

It needs to have been inactive from March 4th 2012, I believe.

First time trying the fishing contest, won by 23 seconds phew. Picked the boots though, can never have enough random ports imo, fuck that pole =P

ZenaxPure

First time trying the fishing contest, won by 23 seconds phew. Picked the boots though, can never have enough random ports imo, fuck that pole =P

FFFFFFFFffffff. I have been wanting to try the fishing contest for a long while now (still need the achievement) but I forget every single week.

That said, you did just remind me that the Wanderer's Festival happens tonight though, I keep forgetting to go to that as well, hopefully I will remember today since there is a turtle pet you can only capture during the event.

FFFFFFFFffffff. I have been wanting to try the fishing contest for a long while now (still need the achievement) but I forget every single week.

That said, you did just remind me that the Wanderer's Festival happens tonight though, I keep forgetting to go to that as well, hopefully I will remember today since there is a turtle pet you can only capture during the event.

Haha, I've been forgetting for a few months now too. Only remembered by dumb luck a few minutes before it started this time.

And speaking of dumb luck... if that Horde that harassed me the first time had been more aggressive... or if the next one that kept coming back to dot me multiple times (when I had 38 fish) had followed me when I left for another area... those 23 seconds would have evaporated pretty quickly. At the time the adrenaline was just keeping my mind on fishing, but looking back now, I definitely squeaked by.

Who knew fishing could provide such a rush.

Magnus

I've been missing since 5.1. Any ultra kind posters willing to summarize the main changes in the game since then? I think I stopped playing around January.

ZenaxPure

I've been missing since 5.1. Any ultra kind posters willing to summarize the main changes in the game since then? I think I stopped playing around January.

Mmm, not much really changed, just a bunch of new content. The only major changes I'd say is that Tier 14 LFR now has improved drop rates so you can gear up faster for the tier 15 raid, and, all the world bosses are now tap to faction so you don't need to be in a group to have a chance at their loot as long as your faction has the tag.

The patch, though, was fairly massive. Here is a complete fast and dirty list of just about everything added:
-New isle, Isle of Thunder. Which contains:
-New Daily hub set up in stages, more dailies unlocks parts of the island. This is over on pretty much all servers by now, but, each stage had a solo story scenario you can still do so you can get the story without any of the work.
-New massive raid with 12 bosses + 1 hard mode only bonus boss.
-Weekly group boss quest that awards 150 valor for killing 3 summonable bosses on the isle
-Rare spawns that work like named quest mobs, anyone who attacks gets credit and a chance at their loot. Their loot includes 15 VP (100% drop chance, so effectively each rare spawn kill on the isle is an easy 15 vp), 1 ritual stone that is used to summon the bosses for the weekly, and, a key that is used for the treasure run
-That treasure run being a solo scenario that is more puzzle-y in nature than combat focused. Avoid as many enemies as you can, avoid traps, and do some light platforming to get as many treasure chests as you can in 5 minutes. The chests contain gold, rep items for the new daily rep, harmonies, Elder Charms (it is possible to get 20+ elder charms per week now, but, the new raid uses a different charm that replaced the Elder Charm quest), and keys that are used to unlock special chests at the end of the scenario that can have ilvl 502 epics from the new LFR tier in them.
-New world boss that unlocked with the last stage. His loot is Sha 2.0, drops 2 pieces of tier gear and a bunch of pvp stuff.
-A minor thing, but, worth mentioning I guess. You can find scrolls on the island that let you summon a Mogu ghost to fight. They drop treasure chests that usually contain even more gold, elder charms, and other various stuff like the chests in the treasure run.
-The rare spawns on the island also drop the quest item that begins Warlocks on their epic quest to get green fire. Doesn't concern you if you aren't a Warlock obviously.

-Outside of that they also introduced a second island called Isle of Giants. This island is straight up old school MMO grinding. There are Dinosaurs that are fairly challenging to solo except for the usual classes (hunters, blood DKs, etc.) which drop bones upon death. Get 999 of the bones and you can trade it for a special pet, 9999 of the bones gets you a white raptor mount that looks very similar to the original white raptor from Vanilla that was removed when the epic mounts were changed. Also every Dinosaur on the island has a chance to drop an egg that after 3 days hatches into 1 of 3 different colored raptor mounts (Black, Red, or Green). There is also another new world boss here who drops loot on par with loot from the normal mode of the newest raid tier.

-Daily fishing event that changes what zone it is in each day. This is mostly useful because the area where it occurs has massive amounts of 1 type of fish so you can stock up fast. There is also a boss you can fish up who generally drops an entire stack of fish, and, has a chance to drop the heirloom fishing book and the 3 rare fish you turn into Nat Pagle for his friendship rep.

-And lastly more pet battle stuff, bunch of new pets, new quest chain, and so on.

Oh also there's already a new patch on the PTR that will probably be out within a month or so.

Westlo

Haunting Spirit dupes are finally out, Blizzard seemed to fix the way Blood Spirits were duped (which is why prospecting is so fucking shit right now) but of course they find a way.

I got 27 Haunting Spirits for 132k.

But of course duping doesn't happen according to Blizzard, some top raid guilds with guild banks full of these things must've been hacked, just like the jeweled onyxs, sandstone drakes, queens garnets & blood spirits.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Mmm, not much really changed, just a bunch of new content. The only major changes I'd say is that Tier 14 LFR now has improved drop rates so you can gear up faster for the tier 15 raid, and, all the world bosses are now tap to faction so you don't need to be in a group to have a chance at their loot as long as your faction has the tag.

The patch, though, was fairly massive. Here is a complete fast and dirty list of just about everything added:
-New isle, Isle of Thunder. Which contains:
-New Daily hub set up in stages, more dailies unlocks parts of the island. This is over on pretty much all servers by now, but, each stage had a solo story scenario you can still do so you can get the story without any of the work.
-New massive raid with 12 bosses + 1 hard mode only bonus boss.
-Weekly group boss quest that awards 150 valor for killing 3 summonable bosses on the isle
-Rare spawns that work like named quest mobs, anyone who attacks gets credit and a chance at their loot. Their loot includes 15 VP (100% drop chance, so effectively each rare spawn kill on the isle is an easy 15 vp), 1 ritual stone that is used to summon the bosses for the weekly, and, a key that is used for the treasure run
-That treasure run being a solo scenario that is more puzzle-y in nature than combat focused. Avoid as many enemies as you can, avoid traps, and do some light platforming to get as many treasure chests as you can in 5 minutes. The chests contain gold, rep items for the new daily rep, harmonies, Elder Charms (it is possible to get 20+ elder charms per week now, but, the new raid uses a different charm that replaced the Elder Charm quest), and keys that are used to unlock special chests at the end of the scenario that can have ilvl 502 epics from the new LFR tier in them.
-New world boss that unlocked with the last stage. His loot is Sha 2.0, drops 2 pieces of tier gear and a bunch of pvp stuff.
-A minor thing, but, worth mentioning I guess. You can find scrolls on the island that let you summon a Mogu ghost to fight. They drop treasure chests that usually contain even more gold, elder charms, and other various stuff like the chests in the treasure run.
-The rare spawns on the island also drop the quest item that begins Warlocks on their epic quest to get green fire. Doesn't concern you if you aren't a Warlock obviously.

-Outside of that they also introduced a second island called Isle of Giants. This island is straight up old school MMO grinding. There are Dinosaurs that are fairly challenging to solo except for the usual classes (hunters, blood DKs, etc.) which drop bones upon death. Get 999 of the bones and you can trade it for a special pet, 9999 of the bones gets you a white raptor mount that looks very similar to the original white raptor from Vanilla that was removed when the epic mounts were changed. Also every Dinosaur on the island has a chance to drop an egg that after 3 days hatches into 1 of 3 different colored raptor mounts (Black, Red, or Green). There is also another new world boss here who drops loot on par with loot from the normal mode of the newest raid tier.

-Daily fishing event that changes what zone it is in each day. This is mostly useful because the area where it occurs has massive amounts of 1 type of fish so you can stock up fast. There is also a boss you can fish up who generally drops an entire stack of fish, and, has a chance to drop the heirloom fishing book and the 3 rare fish you turn into Nat Pagle for his friendship rep.

-And lastly more pet battle stuff, bunch of new pets, new quest chain, and so on.

Oh also there's already a new patch on the PTR that will probably be out within a month or so.
Thanks a lot man!

Trickster

Wondering if there are any DK tanks in here that are used to raiding in MoP. I just rerolled to DK tank at few days ago, and was in my first tot raid yesterday, and I kept struggling with getting initial aggro on mobs, as well as on tank switches during boss fights.

Maybe it's just a gear issue, since my gear is pretty lackcluster atm, and I'm kinda getting carried by my guild, who all overgear me immensely. But I'd still like to hear from any DK tank that raids, and hear if this issue of initial and tank switch aggro is something common to DK tanks. if it's not, I'd like to hear what you guys do to get a good amount of aggro on the two situations I mention.

Sciz

A monk. Who overgears me with like 40 ilvl's.

He could undergear you by 40 ilvls and still rip aggro off. Brewmasters do crazy dps relative to other tanks even without a vengeance stack rolling thanks to keg smash being completely bananas and the spec as a whole gearing for dps stats. There's nothing for it, he's just gotta lay off a bit when he's not the active tank.

Trickster

He could undergear you by 40 ilvls and still rip aggro off. Brewmasters do crazy dps relative to other tanks even without a vengeance stack rolling thanks to keg smash being completely bananas and the spec as a whole gearing for dps stats. There's nothing for it, he's just gotta lay off a bit when he's not the active tank.

He does lay off everytime, he joked about pulling aggro if he was just auto attacking :p

It's not really him that's annoying me. Rather it's that I feel like it's hard to do burst threat on my dk. I'm totally screwed on fights like horridon where there's constantly spawning new adds that people attack. Trying to get diseases up properly while also getting some initial burst aggro on them feels very difficult. I bassically can't do jack shit if I'm low on runes and runepower, and 2 new adds spawn.

mclem

I - as a prot pally - had the opposite problem on Horridon; while I was tanking the big guy, my healing aggro would usually cause several mobs to get latched onto me. We ultimately got by by using Hand of Protection to allow the other tank to take Horridon for three doors while I took the remaining one (the third, where the mobs are largely untankable anyway)

It helps immensely as a door tank on Horridon if the rest of the raid works with you on pickups; our big breakthrough was roughly coordinating where the raid as a whole would stand (roughly where the Dinomancer would land). Even if another DPS pulls aggro, at least they're nice and close to you.

strafer

I really love the World of Warcraft Art.

tcg-series6-102-full.jpg

where is 'appear offline' :(

I've got a RealID "friend" who messages me and my fiancee every single day, as soon as he logs on. It's getting really weird especially now that he's claiming to have bought my fiancee a birthday present - "the rarest WoW pet there is." wtf? It's like The Cable Guy.

Where is this feature that should have existed from the beginning?

Bizazedo

Damn - "Defensive Stance now decreases damage taken by 25%, up from 15%."

What was it in vanilla? 33%? 10%?!

I think it was 20%, Fury was 20% to damage or crit, and battle was balanced in vanilla.

In the modern era, it still currently reduces damage by 25% in protection spec, but they reduced it to 15% for Arms and Fury warriors in 5.2.

This change hurt them badly in PvP (they also reduced the range warriors could hit people :(. ), so they're reverting it.

How did I never notice the crypt in Karazhan? Watched some videos, it looks very creepy, I want to go there :(

I was obsessed with that area in Vanilla. Had tons of pictures of it. Room of Upside-Down Sinners is still my favorite area of the game.

Supposedly was blocked with an M rating, but I always took that with a grain of salt.

Berordn

I was obsessed with that area in Vanilla. Had tons of pictures of it. Room of Upside-Down Sinners is still my favorite area of the game.

Supposedly was blocked with an M rating, but I always took that with a grain of salt.

It's probably that and just not having the resources to do anything to do with it at the time. There's lots of ancient Vanilla content in the game that's waiting to find its purpose or be retooled into something else.

mclem

It's probably that and just not having the resources to do anything to do with it at the time. There's lots of ancient Vanilla content in the game that's waiting to find its purpose or be retooled into something else.

Not just Vanilla. There's a bunch of other portals on Outland that could concievably be brought into service.

Tarazet

Wondering if there are any DK tanks in here that are used to raiding in MoP. I just rerolled to DK tank at few days ago, and was in my first tot raid yesterday, and I kept struggling with getting initial aggro on mobs, as well as on tank switches during boss fights.

Maybe it's just a gear issue, since my gear is pretty lackcluster atm, and I'm kinda getting carried by my guild, who all overgear me immensely. But I'd still like to hear from any DK tank that raids, and hear if this issue of initial and tank switch aggro is something common to DK tanks. if it's not, I'd like to hear what you guys do to get a good amount of aggro on the two situations I mention.

It's common to all tanks because of Vengeance. I play a Druid, and we have a similar issue to Monks - we generate boatloads of aggro because we stack DPS stats for active mitigation. We might even have it worse, because we stack Critical Strike, and crits generate a lot of aggro. I've gotten used to just hitting Escape as soon as the other tank taunts off of me to stop attacking until he gets Vengeance going.

It's easy enough to see where it would've fit into the design of Kara. It's somewhat more detailed/finished than other forgotten areas, which usually contain a lot out of place set pieces (doodads!) and environment oddities.

Berordn

It's easy enough to see where it would've fit into the design of Kara. It's somewhat more detailed/finished than other forgotten areas, which usually contain a lot out of place set pieces (doodads!) and environment oddities.

There's plenty of pre-BC Outland and Emerald Dream stuff that was about as detailed too, though the only ways to access them in-game have been removed with dungeon revamps.

ZenaxPure

There's plenty of pre-BC Outland and Emerald Dream stuff that was about as detailed too, though the only ways to access them in-game have been removed with dungeon revamps.

Hah, was about to type this. Some of the custom objects from the Emerald Dream popped up in other places in WoW.

Though, I didn't realize there was still a scene for exploration in WoW, not going to lie. There was dudes going outside the deadmines to the "outland" testing bed in freaking MoP. That guy also has stuff for getting to the Crypts in 5.2, he seems pretty dedicated.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I just noticed Tarren Mill is "Tebren Mill" on that map. They should have kept the name, maybe they wouldn't have had so many people calling it "Tauren mill"

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Zul'Dare, Kul Tiras and Crestfall, where are yoooouuuu~

I doubt you'll see Kul'Tiras for anything other than a portal zone or a battleground. It's not conceivably as large as Pandaria and Blizzard seemed very down on making scattered non-continent expansion content after Cataclysm.

Berordn

I doubt you'll see Kul'Tiras for anything other than a portal zone or a battleground. It's not conceivably as large as Pandaria and Blizzard seemed very down on making scattered non-continent expansion content after Cataclysm.

The last thing they said about Kul'Tiras officially was that it had drifted out to sea after the Cataclysm, so if they made the "South Seas" expansion featuring the Maelstrom and the region around it, it could potentially be the Alliance hub for the expansion (with Kezan, or what's left of it, for the Horde).

Alternatively it's in ruins and a questing zone, and both factions camp out in the Undermine for the time being.

ZenaxPure

The last thing they said about Kul'Tiras officially was that it had drifted out to sea after the Cataclysm, so if they made the "South Seas" expansion featuring the Maelstrom and the region around it, it could potentially be the Alliance hub for the expansion (with Kezan, or what's left of it, for the Horde).

My first stop will be to Plunder Isle to get my own pirate ship I rightfully should own given I'm a Bloodsail Admiral.

I still wish they had player housing. I guess it would have to be instanced and a loading screen threshold is kind of lame, but I still want it.

A player ship would also be cool and probably wouldn't have to be instanced as a house in Stormwind or whatever would have to be.

Bizazedo

I still wish they had player housing. I guess it would have to be instanced and a loading screen threshold is kind of lame, but I still want it.

A player ship would also be cool and probably wouldn't have to be instanced as a house in Stormwind or whatever would have to be.

Yeah, if it'd be a solo instance, it's a shame / kind of sucks.

An instanced area that's server specific, so I can see Bob across the way, would be cool though.

PvP servers'd be a nightmare / awesome, though.

I'd still like to see Guild Airships, personally. Guild Halls if they can't make that happen, I guess.

Tried out a private PvP server that had Guild Airships. It was really cool. I can't imagine the glut of airships on a server like Malganis, though.

ZenaxPure

I only want player housing if they can make it Animal Crossing style where we have an ungodly amount of furniture to furnish our homes with. Pet battles have made me envision housing as a similar thing, I could see myself going to Molten Core weekly to kill Ragnaros for the fiery armchair he would drop, an then there would be profession craftable furniture, pvp themed furniture you buy with honor, and so on.

edit: exactly ^

I think it's worth Blizzard figuring it out though.

Having a house in Skyrim, for example, is really nice. Decorate it to your taste, store a glut of gear and pots, select NPCs to keep you company, etc. Would be fun.

ZenaxPure

I think it's worth Blizzard figuring it out though.

They actually said in the last batch of 5.2 interviews that the farm at halfhill has gotten them a step closer to figuring out how player housing in WoW would work. Your house there is in a way player housing, it just offers no customization. Each friend you get to max you get something from them, one person gives you a mailbox at the end of the road, another puts furniture in your home, another gives you a cat, and so on.

I actually expect to see player housing at some point now to be honest.

Berordn

You laugh, but that's totally something that'll happen when he's putting out white hits every two seconds fueled by an 80k vengeance stack.

Trust him on this. Seriously, trust him on this.

I constantly check RF whenever I'm tanking with him.

Bizazedo

After much inner turmoil, finally left the guild I was in. A lot of the dudes in there are really cool and if we made a 10 man group of our best we could progress very quickly.

Problem is, we had like 16 or so really good guys and wanted to do 25 mans (because 25 mans are more fun / cooler)....but the remaining guys were extremely casual and we just couldn't hit the DPS requirements.

Going back to 10s wasn't likely and I wanted to tank, so departed with much angst. As soon as I did, of course, old guild did put together a good 10 man and plowed through the part where 25 man was having an issue with on Garalon and finished HoF and Terrace normal.

Luckily for me, my new guild started from scratch to work out the kinks, get to know each other, and go for it (BRAND new guild, level 1 etc). Plowed through MSV and 4/6 HoF in 3 hours and the remainder of HoF and Terrace the second night.

It's one of those weird situations where it looks like everyone made out :) (cue guild drama in 5..4....3..)

Berordn

It's one of those weird situations where it looks like everyone made out :) (cue guild drama in 5..4....3..)

I swear that guild drama is linked to the phases of the moon or something. We just had a little power grab in ours but everything seems to have worked itself out in the meantime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom