• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdyhybrid

Fuck guild drama. I'm in a guild but only as a casual member, and I play with RL friends. No drama whatsoever. Makes it so much more enjoyable. Thank you based Tigole for LFR!

ZenaxPure

Fuck guild drama. I'm in a guild but only as a casual member, and I play with RL friends. No drama whatsoever. Makes it so much more enjoyable. Thank you based Tigole for LFR!

Yeah, the guild I am in with my friends has never had any guild drama, it was nice. I mean there was drama involved when we split away from the other guild but nothing since.

That doesn't mean I haven't seen drama though, like, man I have seen drama in all my major guilds during vanilla and tbc and the previously mentioned start of cata. I was never directly involved in any of it really, just a bystander, which made it really fascinating to watch.

That's about the only thing I miss from 40 mans (and it's not even a positive thing at that) but in a 40 man guild there would be whispers about something, a brewing storm, and an explosion. Things would get chaotic and you had to pick a side, even more cliques than usual would pop up among members, and so on.

Not that I ever want to experience any of that again, but, best reality television I ever saw.

Tarazet

Are Druid tanks broken or something? I was in an MV run with a far more geared Paladin tank (517 to my 505). He took over 25% more damage than I did on Will of the Emperor, and it wasn't because of adds or getting hit by swipes. He just took a shitload more melee from the boss. And this guy is 12/12 ToT and 1/13 heroic ToT.

ZenaxPure

Blizz just updated the PTR notes. Most interesting changes:

Shado-Pan and The August Celestials daily quests no longer have a faction prerequisite to be Revered with the Golden Lotus.
A Test of Valor: Reduced the amount of Valor needed for this achievement to 3000 Valor Points, down from 6000.

The point we're at in the expansion it makes sense to ditch the revered GL considering how the rep tokens work, and the valor being reduced is obviously a welcome change.

Also found the Fire and Brimstone change welcoming as someone who enjoys his Destro lock.

Fire and Brimstone no longer requires a Burning Ember to cast. Instead, the spell causes Immolate, Incinerate, Conflagrate, and Curse spells to consume a Burning Ember when cast, and the effect remains active as long as the Warlock has at least 1 Burning Ember remaining.

Bizazedo

Blizz just updated the PTR notes. Most interesting changes:

, and the valor being reduced is obviously a welcome change.

Acquiring the sigils is going to be a far bigger problem than the valor as time goes on (although 6k was too high, admittedly. I want something for having done that part, though!).

Then again, as it's a Legendary, they might just say screw it and leave it, much like Fragments / etc.

Berordn

Are Druid tanks broken or something? I was in an MV run with a far more geared Paladin tank (517 to my 505). He took over 25% more damage than I did on Will of the Emperor, and it wasn't because of adds or getting hit by swipes. He just took a shitload more melee from the boss. And this guy is 12/12 ToT and 1/13 heroic ToT.

Being a good Protadin is knowing when and where to have Shield of the Righteous up, since that's the most powerful physical mitigation they've got (on an effective two second cooldown, at that). It's got a pretty big learning curve and until that time stacking stamina to the high heavens is probably the best way for learning tanks to mitigate damage. Maybe not as bad as learning active mitigation on a brewmaster, but it's there.

Plus Paladins and Warriors just eat damage for breakfast anyway.

Robin64

"Shado-Pan and The August Celestials daily quests no longer have a faction prerequisite to be Revered with the Golden Lotus."

Perfect, now my tailoring alt can just do August Celestials to get that 28 slot bag pattern without having to do Golden Lotus yet again. I always thought it was really rough that thing was so time consuming to get.

"Shado-Pan and The August Celestials daily quests no longer have a faction prerequisite to be Revered with the Golden Lotus."

Perfect, now my tailoring alt can just do August Celestials to get that 28 slot bag pattern without having to do Golden Lotus yet again. I always thought it was really rough that thing was so time consuming to get.

This kinda sucks. I have been doing those boring GL dailies for weeks now and I'm almost to Revered. I should have just waited. I guess the bright side is that I can get GL rewards now, where if it wasn't a prereq I would have never touched GL stuff.

Tarazet

Being a good Protadin is knowing when and where to have Shield of the Righteous up, since that's the most powerful physical mitigation they've got (on an effective two second cooldown, at that). It's got a pretty big learning curve and until that time stacking stamina to the high heavens is probably the best way for learning tanks to mitigate damage. Maybe not as bad as learning active mitigation on a brewmaster, but it's there.

Plus Paladins and Warriors just eat damage for breakfast anyway.

I did notice he was healing most of it back with Battle Insight/Seal of Insight, but I dunno. I'd rather not be taking damage in the first place personally. I just roll over Savage Defense, keep Tooth and Claw up as often as I can, and use my cooldowns as needed. I barely touch my (glyphed) Frenzied Regeneration unless there's a lot of magic damage and a lot of healing coming in. The result is usually that I get topped up before anyone else, which gives the whole raid a nice safety zone.

ZenaxPure

Yeah, at this point the restriction pretty much had to go considering it's very easy to get exalted with Shado-pan and Celestials before even being able to unlock their dailies. I'm actually surprised they didn't drop it this patch.

Sciz

Maybe not as bad as learning active mitigation on a brewmaster, but it's there.

The priority flowchart is less complicated than people make it out to be, and can largely be summarized as "always pool two chi unless doing so lets shuffle fall off".

The FnB change is nice, but it's still going to be a lot of button spam, unless you're just aoe-ing a LOT of stuff. I wish it could be a toggle that remains active regardless of your ember count, if you don't have enough you just shoot a single target spell.

ZenaxPure

The FnB change is nice, but it's still going to be a lot of button spam, unless you're just aoe-ing a LOT of stuff. I wish it could be a toggle that remains active regardless of your ember count, if you don't have enough you just shoot a single target spell.

Yeah me too, but this will be a tiny bit less annoying at least.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Fuck yeah at the Test of Valor change.

Trickster

You laugh, but that's totally something that'll happen when he's putting out 2H white hits every two seconds fueled by an 80k vengeance stack.

Just to clarify, I know he can and did pull aggro by auto attacking. But he was joking about it, was what I meant.

Anyways, I kinda figured out what I was doing wrong.

Sciz

Just to clarify, I know he can and did pull aggro by auto attacking. But he was joking about it, was what I meant.

Anyways, I kinda figured out what I was doing wrong.

Oh. Well, that's good. I've just taken to spamming healing sphere on people for a few seconds after a tank swap.

Ripclawe

Banned
oh you suck Blizzard... you really really suck...
Shado-Pan and The August Celestials daily quests no longer have a faction prerequisite to be Revered with the Golden Lotus.

Yeah, at this point the restriction pretty much had to go considering it's very easy to get exalted with Shado-pan and Celestials before even being able to unlock their dailies. I'm actually surprised they didn't drop it this patch.

How?

ZenaxPure

Also, championing the rep and doing the farming can get you 2K + per day.

Farm rep confuses me. It's faster to run around killing scouts than the time it takes to get to where you can use the farm for rep gains. That is, speaking as a fresh level 90 who doesn't have the double rep unlocked yet. I don't really understand the purpose of farm rep.

Berordn

Farm rep confuses me. It's faster to run around killing scouts than the time it takes to get to where you can use the farm for rep gains. That is, speaking as a fresh level 90 who doesn't have the double rep unlocked yet. I don't really understand the purpose of farm rep.

I suspect their original intent wasn't that Warscouts and Warbringers were going to be such a lucrative way to earn rep, just something you'd do when a group was rolling around. They really ought to buff the farm rep, at least.

Tamanon

Banned

I do my farm stuff while waiting for my LFD to pop usually. I'm not a fan of flying around looking for the mobs personally.

ZenaxPure

I suspect their original intent wasn't that Warscouts and Warbringers were going to be such a lucrative way to earn rep, just something you'd do when a group was rolling around. They really ought to buff the farm rep, at least.

Probably.

Personally if I was doing it I would not have even added the rep tokens, I would have left the rep the way it was (still added the double rep though) and then taken all the gear and moved it to a VP vendor with no rep attachments. The mounts on their own is enough of a reward for getting exalted with the factions, though, I'd probably threw in some more cool transmog gear like the Shado-pan hat.

Hopefully they get it through their heads that the rep tokens from Guo Lai hall treasure chests should be Bind on Account.

Tarazet

Oh. Well, that's good. I've just taken to spamming healing sphere on people for a few seconds after a tank swap.

You can also switch stance to generate less aggro, as long as you aren't still taking damage. I've found that it works really well to let me continue attacking without pulling the boss. In my case, using Cat Form also lets me apply additional DoTs that I don't have access to otherwise, but every class has some version of this mechanic that lets them continue doing damage without drawing threat:

Warrior: Battle Stance
Monk: Tiger Stance
Druid: Cat Form
Paladin: click off Righteous Fury
DK: Frost Presence

In my case, it's just a temporary thing. I do it long enough to apply my DoTs and lose threat, then switch back to bank Rage..

So in 5.2 an item was added to the game, Survivor's Bag of Coins. It lets you throw a coin to the ground, and propels you through the air in the opposite direction. The item is a direct reference to Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy. Along with this, people discovered an NPC named Reislek's Ghost (Kelsier is a significant character in the books, as well as the "survivor" the item references, and also my DK's name ;D), but for a long time no one could figure out any interactions with it that would yield this item. Seems like a few days ago someone stumbled upon another Mistborn referencing NPC, completely by chance, that was the key to this puzzle. You can check it out in this Reddit thread, along with how to acquire the item (you have to be a rogue).

If you're a fan of Sanderson you owe it to yourself to get this item, and even if you're not, it's just damn fun to use combined with being an amazing reference and a great mini-quest/puzzle associated with obtaining it.

scoobs

I'd just like to jump in here and say FUCK the brawlers guild fight: Disruptron Mk. 3R-Alpha. That might be the single dumbest thing i've ever experienced in this game. Wtf were they thinking lol

ZenaxPure

I'd just like to jump in here and say FUCK the brawlers guild fight: Disruptron Mk. 3R-Alpha. That might be the single dumbest thing i've ever experienced in this game. Wtf were they thinking lol

It's a fun fight, it's just currently bugged. The discs from the cannon are currently not working properly and doing their damage 1-2 seconds before the animation arrives. So, it is quite literally impossible to avoid them right now. You may have noticed taking random damage that you couldn't figure out where it came from, it is those cannon shots.

There is a thread about it on the official bug forums, I even posted in it myself earlier, since I was trying to find out if the laser grids are bugged or working as intended. The 2 side lasers in the Alliance arena keep de-syncing and I've had a few matches where they lined up in a way where it was impossible to jump over them (as I would jump one then end up on top of the other).

Hopefully it gets fixed soon, it's the last rank 8 fight I need to finish.

scoobs

It's a fun fight, it's just currently bugged. The discs from the cannon are currently not working properly and doing their damage 1-2 seconds before the animation arrives. So, it is quite literally impossible to avoid them right now. You may have noticed taking random damage that you couldn't figure out where it came from, it is those cannon shots.

There is a thread about it on the official bug forums, I even posted in it myself earlier, since I was trying to find out if the laser grids are bugged or working as intended. The 2 side lasers in the Alliance arena keep de-syncing and I've had a few matches where they lined up in a way where it was impossible to jump over them (as I would jump one then end up on top of the other).

Hopefully it gets fixed soon, it's the last rank 8 fight I need to finish.

you and me both buddy. I keep gettin him to 30% and then i just die instantly to the insanity that follows

ZenaxPure

you and me both buddy. I keep gettin him to 30% and then i just die instantly to the insanity that follows

Lowest I've gotten him so far is about 45%. I've gotten good at gauging my lag and when I need to jump lasers, so pretty much all my deaths come from the "invisible" cannon shots. Probably could have gotten to 30% faster, but, with how the fight works it makes more sense to save all cooldowns for that last 30% so I take a very slow approach when fighting him.

Westlo

So in 5.2 an item was added to the game, Survivor's Bag of Coins. It lets you throw a coin to the ground, and propels you through the air in the opposite direction. The item is a direct reference to Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy. Along with this, people discovered an NPC named Reislek's Ghost (Kelsier is a significant character in the books, as well as the "survivor" the item references, and also my DK's name ;D), but for a long time no one could figure out any interactions with it that would yield this item. Seems like a few days ago someone stumbled upon another Mistborn referencing NPC, completely by chance, that was the key to this puzzle. You can check it out in this Reddit thread, along with how to acquire the item (you have to be a rogue).

If you're a fan of Sanderson you owe it to yourself to get this item, and even if you're not, it's just damn fun to use combined with being an amazing reference and a great mini-quest/puzzle associated with obtaining it.

Holy fuck I need this, thank fuck my bro is doing RAF with me so I can get my level 5 bank rogue upto speed asap.

cdyhybrid

So once I can put together more gear, I want to start learning how to tank with my Brewmaster offspec. I had some brief tanking experience on my DK in Cata, but it was only Heroics. So I'm not completely new to tanking, but I'm pretty damn close.

Any tips/advice? I'll probably want to start off in Heroics since they're easy and I'll easily overgear them (I'm using duplicate items or items that got upgraded from my Windwalker spec, so my tanking iLevel will be between 483 and 502).

I've read Icy Veins and EJ, and it sounds like I should just cycle through Guard, Elusive Brew (6+ stacks), and Dampen Harm, using Purifying Brew when Stagger gets bad and Fortifying Brew (or Dampen Harm) as an "oh shit" CD or when I know a lot of damage is coming in. Keg Smash on CD and keep Shuffle up 100% of the time.

Robin64

It's amazing how much has changed as they've refined the world, but I do love looking at early maps, like this one of "Azeroth" from the original Warcraft era.

AzerothWC1.gif

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It's actually kinda weird. If Varian were as calm and collected as presented (especially sans Jaina), he'd be able to get all of the races under him sans Orcs.

Robin64

I do absolutely adore the ending of the final Scenario you unlock on Isle of Thunder. Can't remember the exact words, but something like..

Jaina: "There will never be peace between us as long as Garrosh leads the Horde!"
Lor'themar: "That is precisely why we must conserve our strength.."
* Jaina's expression softens
Jaina: "Lord"
Lor'themar: "Lady"

As they bow to each other and leave. Glorious.

Westlo

I do absolutely adore the ending of the final Scenario you unlock on Isle of Thunder. Can't remember the exact words, but something like..

Jaina: "There will never be peace between us as long as Garrosh leads the Horde!"

Yeah I just went through them all in 1 hit (well not counting the initial one), was pretty good. had a real good Trove run than too, best by far I've done... 6 Burial Keys, 600g gold, 19 elder charms, a spirit of harmony, 14 motes, 5 ritual stones

Rokam

So I think I'm done with WoW for a bit, jumped back into SWToR and will probably dick around there for a couple months. Only time I log on now is to run LFR and that has gotten old. Not sure if I'll return in 5.4 or wait till the next expansion. Either way probably won't be posting here much till I resub, so good luck all!

ZenaxPure

Yeah, it gets me super giddy for the Siege. But, I'm also worried though, Blizzard could blow it real easily if they aren't careful since they've spent all expansion actually building it up. In my head I envision something like Hyjal where the races and their faction leaders are all on the battlefield going head to head with whatever Garrosh has up his sleeve. The amount of characters that SHOULD be there is huge, I hope Blizzard finds some spot for them somewhere. All the horde leaders should be there, and then on the Alliance side Varian and Jaina are obvious, but, I'd like to see Tyrande and the Dwarves as well. If anyone has a reason to put an end to Garrosh on the Alliance side other than Jaina, it is Tyrande.

What I hope more than anything, though, is that they do not have a repeat of ICC. Never did like how the raid was different for the factions. It's like "hey guys, this Arthas guy is trying to murder us and stuff, but, let's take a break and try to blow each other's airships up. Because having less people to fight the Scourge with makes perfect sense".

Regardless, I feel like this raid tier above any ever added in the game has to deliver, they've put so much effort into building it up to be this grand event.

Etheus

Neo Member
Could anyone direct me to a place where I can read up on the MoP storyline? I came back for 5.0, went into full addict mode and got burnt out by dailies, don't think I'm coming back, but would like to keep up with the story.

TimeKillr

It's common to all tanks because of Vengeance. I play a Druid, and we have a similar issue to Monks - we generate boatloads of aggro because we stack DPS stats for active mitigation. We might even have it worse, because we stack Critical Strike, and crits generate a lot of aggro. I've gotten used to just hitting Escape as soon as the other tank taunts off of me to stop attacking until he gets Vengeance going.

I do the exact same thing, and I have an understanding with the other tank in the raid that when we do a switch, we go REALLY soft on DPS. As in all I ever do when I'm not actively tanking but must remain on the boss (which isn't *that* often these days) is Death Strikes to build up a nice shield that will get destroyed within 2 hits and keeping my diseases up. Other than that it's all auto-attacks, and the other tank who is a Warrior only does auto attacks, because we keep stealing from each other all the time.

Vengeance is great but it's also a bitch.

Also I feel like I've been having threat generation issues on a lot of crap lately with my DK, and I have a feeling it's due to my lack of Hit/Exp. If a Blood Boil misses on Horridon, it's a bunch of adds who won't focus on me for another 10 seconds, which is kinda dangerous. I think I might start to reforge for it a bit, even though it's not the "community recommended build" or whatever.

I had no idea Tillers farming provided rep for other factions.

I just hit Revered with Golden Lotus. Should I begin Shado-Pan/August Celestials dailies or begin Tillers farming instead? I haven't touched any of it at all yet.

Tarazet

I do the exact same thing, and I have an understanding with the other tank in the raid that when we do a switch, we go REALLY soft on DPS. As in all I ever do when I'm not actively tanking but must remain on the boss (which isn't *that* often these days) is Death Strikes to build up a nice shield that will get destroyed within 2 hits and keeping my diseases up. Other than that it's all auto-attacks, and the other tank who is a Warrior only does auto attacks, because we keep stealing from each other all the time.

Vengeance is great but it's also a bitch.

Also I feel like I've been having threat generation issues on a lot of crap lately with my DK, and I have a feeling it's due to my lack of Hit/Exp. If a Blood Boil misses on Horridon, it's a bunch of adds who won't focus on me for another 10 seconds, which is kinda dangerous. I think I might start to reforge for it a bit, even though it's not the "community recommended build" or whatever.

Even the Icyveins guide mentions that there are substantial benefits to hitting 7.5% hit and expertise. Find the balance that works the best for you.. as a bear, the numbers that work best for me are around 7.0% hit and 12% expertise, with the rest of the free budget going into Crit. That gives me the highest average DPS and Rage generation.

Robin64

I just hit Revered with Golden Lotus. Should I begin Shado-Pan/August Celestials dailies or begin Tillers farming instead? I haven't touched any of it at all yet.

August Celestial dailies are great because you only do, like, four quests. They're so quick. You get sent to one of the four temples and just do a few really easy things there. And after Golden Lotus, it's like a breath of fresh air.

The SO is a huge Mistborn/Sanderson nerd. I'll have to show her this.

Really though, more stuff like this. Even if you don't get the references, it's really interesting.

Sciz

So once I can put together more gear, I want to start learning how to tank with my Brewmaster offspec. I had some brief tanking experience on my DK in Cata, but it was only Heroics. So I'm not completely new to tanking, but I'm pretty damn close.

Any tips/advice? I'll probably want to start off in Heroics since they're easy and I'll easily overgear them (I'm using duplicate items or items that got upgraded from my Windwalker spec, so my tanking iLevel will be between 483 and 502).

I've read Icy Veins and EJ, and it sounds like I should just cycle through Guard, Elusive Brew (6+ stacks), and Dampen Harm, using Purifying Brew when Stagger gets bad and Fortifying Brew (or Dampen Harm) as an "oh shit" CD or when I know a lot of damage is coming in. Keg Smash on CD and keep Shuffle up 100% of the time.

Blackout Kick is your god, and Keg Smash is his prophet. Burning off additional energy is for Jab, Spinning Crane Kick, or Expel Harm as appropriate. Excess chi goes to purifying yellow+ stagger once you've got shuffle under control.

For healing, besides Expel Harm you've got Healing Sphere, Gift of the Ox procs, and what will generally be Chi Wave. They're all immensely useful, moreso when buffed by Guard.

You can burn your cooldowns in series like that to reduce overall incoming damage, but in raid content, you'll find that they're better used proactively or reactively instead of rotationally. Good Guard management in particular is key to playing the spec well (always bank two chi, always buff it with Tiger Palm, and don't forget the glyph for high magic damage fights). Healing Elixirs is preferable for 5-man content where Diffuse Magic and Dampen Harm go completely wasted, but one of those two is almost always better for a raid boss. Don't underestimate Zen Meditation (that 90% damage reduction does apply to the melee hit that breaks it) or Transcendence, either.

Always, always drop your black ox statue. Taunting the statue functions as an aoe taunt for everything around it, and your healers will appreciate the bubbles it generates.

Hit and expertise caps come recommended (though are not strictly necessary; stack to taste). Set up TellMeWhen or WeakAuras or some such to track shuffle, stagger, vengeance, guard, and whatever other timers you like.

Oh, and reload your UI after you log in or the stagger bar won't show up.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

I hated it, but that's mostly because I hate Taran Zhu and his holier-than-thou attitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom