• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZenaxPure

Ugh, Blizzard needs to really find a way to stop calendar spam, at least with old gold farmer spam you could simply report/ignore the character to keep them away, I can't find anyway to make this calender stuff stop, hate the constant flashing light around the date on the minimap.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Ah man, fuck Taran Zhu. He's going to get killed for sure.

He should have died back in that Shado-Pan Monastery when he was being controlled by a Sha. Damn Panda who thinks he is better than everyone.

Man, I should stay away from this thread, I canceled my sub recently so I could concentrate on other games, and I feel the urge coming back. No. Must not come back so fast. It hasn't been a month already.

Ugh, Blizzard needs to really find a way to stop calendar spam, at least with old gold farmer spam you could simply report/ignore the character to keep them away, I can't find anyway to make this calender stuff stop, hate the constant flashing light around the date on the minimap.

Can't only guild members throw stuff on your calendar?

Tell your friends!

17768_10151510592959034_1718872571_n.jpg

http://bit.ly/2jjClK

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I forgot last tier of LFR was opening today. I'm still only sitting at 1 piece of this tier, but it's always nice to get a new 4piece.

Hopefully 5.3 will hit just about when I'm passing 3k valor, so I'll be ready to start collecting secrets of the empire. It would be nice to be caught up when 5.4 hits and the presumably final stage of the legendary chain hits.

ZenaxPure

Any word on when they will raise the F2P level cap? Should be 30-40 soon imo...

They haven't said anything, but, honestly I don't understand why all of 1-60 isn't free yet. You can get to 20 in an afternoon easy and you don't really get to see much of the game.

Magnus

Mmm, not much really changed, just a bunch of new content. The only major changes I'd say is that Tier 14 LFR now has improved drop rates so you can gear up faster for the tier 15 raid, and, all the world bosses are now tap to faction so you don't need to be in a group to have a chance at their loot as long as your faction has the tag.

The patch, though, was fairly massive. Here is a complete fast and dirty list of just about everything added:
-New isle, Isle of Thunder. Which contains:
-New Daily hub set up in stages, more dailies unlocks parts of the island. This is over on pretty much all servers by now, but, each stage had a solo story scenario you can still do so you can get the story without any of the work.
-New massive raid with 12 bosses + 1 hard mode only bonus boss.
-Weekly group boss quest that awards 150 valor for killing 3 summonable bosses on the isle
-Rare spawns that work like named quest mobs, anyone who attacks gets credit and a chance at their loot. Their loot includes 15 VP (100% drop chance, so effectively each rare spawn kill on the isle is an easy 15 vp), 1 ritual stone that is used to summon the bosses for the weekly, and, a key that is used for the treasure run
-That treasure run being a solo scenario that is more puzzle-y in nature than combat focused. Avoid as many enemies as you can, avoid traps, and do some light platforming to get as many treasure chests as you can in 5 minutes. The chests contain gold, rep items for the new daily rep, harmonies, Elder Charms (it is possible to get 20+ elder charms per week now, but, the new raid uses a different charm that replaced the Elder Charm quest), and keys that are used to unlock special chests at the end of the scenario that can have ilvl 502 epics from the new LFR tier in them.
-New world boss that unlocked with the last stage. His loot is Sha 2.0, drops 2 pieces of tier gear and a bunch of pvp stuff.
-A minor thing, but, worth mentioning I guess. You can find scrolls on the island that let you summon a Mogu ghost to fight. They drop treasure chests that usually contain even more gold, elder charms, and other various stuff like the chests in the treasure run.
-The rare spawns on the island also drop the quest item that begins Warlocks on their epic quest to get green fire. Doesn't concern you if you aren't a Warlock obviously.

-Outside of that they also introduced a second island called Isle of Giants. This island is straight up old school MMO grinding. There are Dinosaurs that are fairly challenging to solo except for the usual classes (hunters, blood DKs, etc.) which drop bones upon death. Get 999 of the bones and you can trade it for a special pet, 9999 of the bones gets you a white raptor mount that looks very similar to the original white raptor from Vanilla that was removed when the epic mounts were changed. Also every Dinosaur on the island has a chance to drop an egg that after 3 days hatches into 1 of 3 different colored raptor mounts (Black, Red, or Green). There is also another new world boss here who drops loot on par with loot from the normal mode of the newest raid tier.

-Daily fishing event that changes what zone it is in each day. This is mostly useful because the area where it occurs has massive amounts of 1 type of fish so you can stock up fast. There is also a boss you can fish up who generally drops an entire stack of fish, and, has a chance to drop the heirloom fishing book and the 3 rare fish you turn into Nat Pagle for his friendship rep.

-And lastly more pet battle stuff, bunch of new pets, new quest chain, and so on.

Oh also there's already a new patch on the PTR that will probably be out within a month or so.

Thanks so, so much man. Sounds like most of that was 5.2? And a whole set of new changes is coming for 5.3?

Or is what you posted mostly upcoming/5.3?

I'm only confused because you started by saying not much changed, but then go on to list tons of new stuff! Haha

ZenaxPure

Thanks so, so much man. Sounds like most of that was 5.2? And a whole set of new changes is coming for 5.3?

Or is what you posted mostly upcoming/5.3?

All of that is 5.2

5.3 is even more stuff I didn't bother to list. It's a "small" patch though (since their plan is small -> big -> small ->big) so it won't add as much stuff, but there is still a lot being added.

Kenai

I had no idea Tillers farming provided rep for other factions.

I just hit Revered with Golden Lotus. Should I begin Shado-Pan/August Celestials dailies or begin Tillers farming instead? I haven't touched any of it at all yet.

I like using it to get boosts that I have double rep on, since 40 produce can actually be a decent chunk of change depending on your server. Otherwise, focus on the rep that has gear or vanity items you want.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Does Gaf have 1 tank, 1 healer, and 2 other DPS that are bad enough dudes for challenge modes? I've lusted after the warlock set ever since I saw it.

Lei Shen is a lot of fun, even in LFR. First time, on my lock right as the wing went live, I had a group with a good number of people that were familiar with the fight, but as a lot of abilities still require good execution from most of the raid, it took us one wipe to get him down. Just now on my DK I had a group where not a single person knew what to do, so it took us six wipes and quite a lot of typing/explanation on my part, but it's nice seeing people actually learn and adapt to things as opposed to say, Dumuru, where half the raid instantly died regardless.

Lei Shen is the first fight I've done since coming back for MoP that makes me (only slightly =P) wish I was still doing heroic raiding, hah, it must be pretty amazing at that level (yeah, I've watched the videos, but after doing it even in LFR it's much easier to overlay the added mechanics in your mind and imagine it).

What's different about Lei Shen apart from the damage from his abilities? Do the conduits cap at a certain strength like Dark Animus does? Does he destroy the 'worst' pillar regardless of current energy? Is Bouncing Bolt less horrible?

Magnus

Does Gaf have 1 tank, 1 healer, and 2 other DPS that are bad enough dudes for challenge modes? I've lusted after the warlock set ever since I saw it.

When/if I ever come back, I'd love to be part of a regular team attempting this.

I forget how exactly LFD/LFR/ETC modes worked with regards to cross-server specifics; could we form a 5-man challenge team cross-server? (if not cross-faction)

Additionally, I imagine my gear being around the challenge level being inconsequential, since all your gear at current raiding level would be scaled down anyway?

My main was a shadow priest for the record, though I'm capable of healing I guess...though I'm rusty there. Actively raided as shadow throughout Cata to 5.0 LFR, and Holy from BC to early Cata.

ZenaxPure

I forget how exactly LFD/LFR/ETC modes worked with regards to cross-server specifics; could we form a 5-man challenge team cross-server? (if not cross-faction).

You can invite and play with people cross-server in everything but the latest tier of raiding, but, you still need to be same faction/region which Anoregon did not include!

I say this because I'd be interested as well, but I'm US/Alliance and I think most people here play Horde.

Reporting in.

First, and I know you're all really, really eager to know about this, but we did NOT defeat Horridon last week. Six weeks and counting.

Secondly, myself, a guild healer, and our guild's main tank/Guildmaster hit the last wing of LFR. Lei Shen is a fun fight, but it's sad how many times all of us had to say "STAND IN THE BLUE SWIRLY SPOTS SO WE DON'T GET ADDS" after each wipe before people finally figured it out. Honestly, I don't feel that the mechanics are that bad. It was fun.

I got some new tier shoulders, a secret of the empire, a new chest that I don't need but will swap to just to optimize my stats (stop putting hit on every piece of leather please, Blizzard) and tier helmet I used only for transmog because I already have a 522 from Jin'roku. And I don't even like the helm that much, so I went back to hide headgear anyway.

WILL REPORT AGAIN IF/WHEN WE LOSE ON SATURDAY. Fuck my life.

Enosh

yay
last day before EU reset kinda happy we managed to kill it before we do it in lfr tomorrow (*looks at time*, or rather latter today) ^^

starting heroics now, will see how that will go

mclem

Reporting in.

First, and I know you're all really, really eager to know about this, but we did NOT defeat Horridon last week. Six weeks and counting.

And in *my* ongoing saga... we did! The nerf made all the difference, and indeed, the difficulty now feels like what we'd expect at that stage of the instance. A 7% wipe on Thursday becoming a oneshot kill the following Monday. A few tweaks to positioning to make the pickups easier made a massive difference, too.

Of course, now we're wiping on Council, but still...

And in *my* ongoing saga... we did! The nerf made all the difference, and indeed, the difficulty now feels like what we'd expect at that stage of the instance. A 7% wipe on Thursday becoming a oneshot kill the following Monday. A few tweaks to positioning to make the pickups easier made a massive difference, too.

Of course, now we're wiping on Council, but still...

Awesome. I'm happy for you!

While we were in our LFR group, we were discussing the fact that a couple of members being a little drunk probably didn't help us out as much as it should have. :p

It wasn't completley wasted. We did get to door 4, and at one point we had everyone up with the dinomancer having spawned before it all went to hell. If things continue at this rate, we might actually see the last phase this week. :p

Council really just doesn't seem as bad. I'm just gonna stick a clone on Sul and beat the hell out of everyone else. Have you beaten any of them before you wipe?

Clipse

I'm weak. Quit 3 months ago, but I gave in tonight.

Ran LFR ToES and got 3 pieces of loot (1 of which I can actually use) and the last 2 Sigils of Wisdom I needed, but nothing off Sha or Galleon. Not bad for my first night back.

I'm weak. Quit 3 months ago, but I gave in tonight.

Ran LFR ToES and got 3 pieces of loot (1 of which I can actually use) and the last 2 Sigils of Wisdom I needed, but nothing off Sha or Galleon. Not bad for my first night back.

You'll never escape.

Unless the next expansion is complete garbage, I'll probably be in for that, too. I'm just too emotionally attached to my cute spacegoat(s).

Grats on the lootiebooties.

Tarazet

Gunning for two fist weapons off Twin Consorts
if I ever get into an LFR

I'd be happy with a staff from Horridon, damn thing never drops. I'd be happy to give up the Sha-Touched gem for my tank set, it's just not necessary. Then I'd have a 491 staff with Dancing Steel and the +500 Agi gem for offset, and a 502 or 522 with Colossus for the main set. It's hard to complain, though. When you're 1/12 on the current tier's normal content and you're geared at an ilvl equivalent to the world's elite guilds prior to 5.2 (508), and your worst piece of gear is a 491 Sha-Touched staff, it's hard to feel bad about that.

I've noticed that the better my gear has gotten, and the more choices I've gotten via raiding, a couple of interesting things have happened. My main stat has gone down, my Stamina has dropped, and I've got Crit absolutely coming out of my ears. I'm at nearly 10,000 Crit rating on my gear in caster form, unbuffed, and 47% chance to crit in bear with raid buffs. As a result, my DPS has also been declining little by little, but my damage intake has also been going steadily down at basically the same rate. (If I get those 522 trinkets with their Agi procs to go off, I can use my cooldowns to come close to where I was before, too.)

I'd be happy with a staff from Horridon, damn thing never drops. I'd be happy to give up the Sha-Touched gem for my tank set, it's just not necessary. Then I'd have a 491 staff with Dancing Steel and the +500 Agi gem for offset, and a 502 or 522 with Colossus for the main set. It's hard to complain, though. When you're 1/12 on the current tier's normal content and you're geared at an ilvl equivalent to the world's elite guilds prior to 5.2 (508), and your worst piece of gear is a 491 Sha-Touched staff, it's hard to feel bad about that.

I've noticed that the better my gear has gotten, and the more choices I've gotten via raiding, a couple of interesting things have happened. My main stat has gone down, my Stamina has dropped, and I've got Crit absolutely coming out of my ears. I'm at nearly 10,000 Crit rating on my gear in caster form, unbuffed, and 47% chance to crit in bear with raid buffs. As a result, my DPS has also been declining little by little, but my damage intake has also been going steadily down at basically the same rate. (If I get those 522 trinkets with their Agi procs to go off, I can use my cooldowns to come close to where I was before..)

You too? :(

I'm currently 508/510 myself. The reason for that is because I have Horridon's Staff from Raid Finder that I'm not using. :/ If I could give it to you right now, I would.

Tarazet

You too? :(

I'm currently 508/510 myself. The reason for that is because I have Horridon's Staff from Raid Finder that I'm not using. :/ If I could give it to you right now, I would.

We haven't even attempted Horridon yet, actually. We started raiding about a month ago and we've cleared Jin'rokh 3 times, but we spent a lot of time clearing all of the T14 content first to gear people up and get them used to working together. It was a good idea, because it got folks caught up, but we're on the back foot now. We're dedicating all weekend to ToT now. I just hope the people who are making stupid mistakes will realize that won't cut it in content that's actually relevant.

Well I've gotten my alt pally to 90. Was doing a bunch of chain heroics and not getting any gear to drop... I've finally gotten into the low tier of LFR by purchasing 3 pvp items. I must say, playing ret is a blast. I actually like the simple rotation and minimal abilities used. I had much more luck getting things to drop for my rogue. I think i got a piece of gear off of every boss in MV, both wings. On my pally, I've ran MV, both wings, at least twice and only gotten a non-tier helm and chest. Still, I'm having fun. So, that's 3 90's for me currently. I've got an 86 warrior that I'd like to level to cap also, but sheesh i'm not looking forward to that right now.

Twinson is the man! Watch out or he'll punch you in the face. If anyone knows where the name came from, you're awesome.

mclem

Council really just doesn't seem as bad. I'm just gonna stick a clone on Sul and beat the hell out of everyone else. Have you beaten any of them before you wipe?

No; the first time Sul becomes active basically wipes the add tank out and everything ensues from that quite rapidly. I think we haven't quite fully registered the healing and CDs required for that bit yet, and when that clicks, it'll get easier.

Also, swapping tanks seems a bit iffy currently. We're okay at making the swap before one freezes, but we drop distressingly low in the process.

Is it the mob with max health who gets empowered each time? I noticed that while we were putting a start together it seemed random but once we'd locked one down the order was consistent - because the pattern of damage we dealt to the mobs was?

cdyhybrid

You'll never escape.

Unless the next expansion is complete garbage, I'll probably be in for that, too. I'm just too emotionally attached to my cute spacegoat(s).

Grats on the lootiebooties.

Next expo will either be South Seas (pirates + Azshara + tropics) or war with the Burning Legion. Either way, it'll be fucking awesome.

I've noticed that the better my gear has gotten, and the more choices I've gotten via raiding, a couple of interesting things have happened. My main stat has gone down, my Stamina has dropped, and I've got Crit absolutely coming out of my ears. I'm at nearly 10,000 Crit rating on my gear in caster form, unbuffed, and 47% chance to crit in bear with raid buffs. As a result, my DPS has also been declining little by little, but my damage intake has also been going steadily down at basically the same rate. (If I get those 522 trinkets with their Agi procs to go off, I can use my cooldowns to come close to where I was before, too.)

I'm currently using the staff off Horridon. Update so far: some offspec/duplicate items off the Tortos-Ji Kun raid, set chest and nothing else off the Durumu-Animus raid, 9 stacks of fail for double gold on Lei Shen (got into the raid at 3 stacks or so). Currently in the queue for the first two bosses of the new LFR (Qon, Consorts), been in queue for 52 min and it says average wait time is 1 hour.

ZenaxPure

Next expo will either be South Seas (pirates + Azshara + tropics) or war with the Burning Legion. Either way, it'll be fucking awesome.

Based on what we know about Wrathion's quest chain next patch it will without a doubt be about the Burning Legion. Real question is will they try to shoehorn use the South Seas as the "continent" where it all happens. Still really hope they don't myself, Azshara needs her own xpac damn it!

Robin64

Well they can't really use Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms as the stage for the attack, as awesome as that would be, given they've only just changed for Cataclysm.

South Seas might very well be a good Azeroth beachhead for the Burning Legion, far less resistance there for landing and setting up.

Slayerx

Tanked Lei Shen on lfr and it was really fun *.* me and the other tank went in mostly blind (we did ask for advice though). I tanked him for most of the fight and only asked the other guy to take him for stacks in the last phase.

My guild is supposed to start raiding this week so we will see what happens, looking forward to it but I hope I don't turn into that person who gets annoyed and whines all the time (who am I kidding, this is unavoidable >_<).

TimeKillr

Wow, the Horridon nerf really makes a huge difference.

My guild wasn't able to raid last week, but we got in this week.

Before we could barely clear the first door, now we always get to the third and we got to Jalak twice.

It's pretty cool, but I still find this boss fight is too early in the progression. It's hard to learn as you can't just learn it in bits and pieces then master it - you gotta perfect *everything* at once.

We have a good chance of downing him tonight, so let's hope!

Bizazedo

Wow, the Horridon nerf really makes a huge difference.

My guild wasn't able to raid last week, but we got in this week.

Before we could barely clear the first door, now we always get to the third and we got to Jalak twice.

It's pretty cool, but I still find this boss fight is too early in the progression. It's hard to learn as you can't just learn it in bits and pieces then master it - you gotta perfect *everything* at once.

We have a good chance of downing him tonight, so let's hope!

It's definitely a fight that asks "So, who's the weak link on your team?"

Not sure that's a bad thing, though.

TimeKillr

It's definitely a fight that asks "So, who's the weak link on your team?"

Not sure that's a bad thing, though.

Definitely not, and we had 2 paladins healing last night, which means we could solo tank Horridon and I was on add duty all the time. It definitely helped as we could tank Horridon further away from the group and I got a much better handle on the adds, where they spawn, etc.

It's definitely doable now, though.

Anoregon

Got 522 set gloves off Nalak last night. Feelsgoodman.

Bizazedo

Definitely not, and we had 2 paladins healing last night, which means we could solo tank Horridon and I was on add duty all the time. It definitely helped as we could tank Horridon further away from the group and I got a much better handle on the adds, where they spawn, etc.

It was doable before :). It was no Rathe Council (+10 for those who get the reference).

It definitely is far more lenient, now, in class composition. 10 man was brutal with what was required and I do agree with you, the change was a good one.

Got 522 set gloves off Nalak last night. Feelsgoodman.

Same. Felt good, and yet, I want the legs!~

TimeKillr

It was doable before :). It was no Rathe Council (+10 for those who get the reference).

It definitely is far more lenient, now, in class composition. 10 man was brutal with what was required and I do agree with you, the change was a good one.

For sure - that's exactly what I meant. The class comp required to down it before was horrible. It's still annoying but at least you can burn the dotters down before they put too many dots, curses, etc.

It makes a huge difference!

ZenaxPure

Well they can't really use Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms as the stage for the attack, as awesome as that would be, given they've only just changed for Cataclysm.

South Seas might very well be a good Azeroth beachhead for the Burning Legion, far less resistance there for landing and setting up.

I kinda want to go to a new planet myself, Argus seems like it would make a ton of sense if it was a Burning Legion themed expansion. Could even make one of the portals in Outland lead to it and use that as an excuse to update TBC questing. Sounds like a win-win for everyone!

Edit: Will say though to add to a South Seas expansion point, Azshara has obviously summoned the Burning Legion in the past, so I wouldn't put it past her to try again. Still would be awesome to go to a new planet though. We're really down to like 2-3 more expansions top that can involve truly old lore before pretty much everything but the Titans is new. Kind of exciting in a way.

mclem

You only need one HoP to get a *reasonable* one-tank-on-all-adds approach. Don't forget that the adds from the third door are largely untankable, so you can use that to do a tank swap without dealing with a tank having more difficulty with the adds. We go with a situation of me on the first door, HoP on Horridon tank, me on the second door, tank swap, me on Horridon for the third door, tank swap, me on the fourth door.

(One other nice advantage of me on Horridon on the third: when I don't need damn near every GCD just to control the adds, I can help out on the cleansing. Makes the diseases more manageable)

cdyhybrid

Same. Felt good, and yet, I want the legs!~

Bleh Luclin/PoP.

Back in my day we had to give our guild our phone number so they could call us at 3 in the morning if Ragefire spawned.

Berordn

I kinda want to go to a new planet myself, Argus seems like it would make a ton of sense if it was a Burning Legion themed expansion. Could even make one of the portals in Outland lead to it and use that as an excuse to update TBC questing. Sounds like a win-win for everyone!

Edit: Will say though to add to a South Seas expansion point, Azshara has obviously summoned the Burning Legion in the past, so I wouldn't put it past her to try again. Still would be awesome to go to a new planet though. We're really down to like 2-3 more expansions top that can involve truly old lore before pretty much everything but the Titans is new. Kind of exciting in a way.

Early in the expansion I guessed that the next expansion would be taking place on the Blue Child, since they made a point of adding it back into the skyboxes, but with all the Dalaran and Jaina stuff going on the absence of Kul'tiras is becoming noticable.

Tarazet

I'm trying to formulate my strategy for tanking Horridon, and I came up with some out-of-the-box ideas that would help me out as a Druid. I'm picturing dropping an Ursol's Vortex on the group of adds I'm on and leaving them there while I go pick up new ones, or using it on the third door to keep the adds close to each other, even for a few seconds, without getting the ranged in the mix. Nature's Vigil and Berserk together once I have 2-3 elites up. Glyph of Fae Silence against the Dinomancer. All of this seems like they could work to trivialize those parts of the encounter.

ZenaxPure

Early in the expansion I guessed that the next expansion would be taking place on the Blue Child, since they made a point of adding it back into the skyboxes, but with all the Dalaran and Jaina stuff going on the absence of Kul'tiras is becoming noticable.

Man I didn't even think about going to a moon, but, that would actually be a valid place to travel to and explore. Especially since they could play it off as a Titan construct (which would be completely believable). That's a pretty awesome idea.

Finally able to "solo" Onyxia (with some help from my fiancee). I'm a clothie and finally geared well enough at 486 to take her down fast enough. Feelsgoodman.

Man I didn't even think about going to a moon, but, that would actually be a valid place to travel to and explore. Especially since they could play it off as a Titan construct (which would be completely believable). That's a pretty awesome idea.

oh man. I am into that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom