• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bizazedo

Man I didn't even think about going to a moon, but, that would actually be a valid place to travel to and explore. Especially since they could play it off as a Titan construct (which would be completely believable). That's a pretty awesome idea.

Bleh Luclin/

I doubt they'll do the moon due to Everquest and the number of EQ veterans at Blizzard, but if done right, maybe I suppose..

I liked PoP, though, cd :).

Hey all, I'm looking at getting back into WoW. Can anyone send me a scroll of resurrection? Please PM me. Thanks a lot!

Edit: Got one, thanks!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The Titans are a shitty contrivance at this point. WoW explains everything by saying the Titans just left a bunch of shit everywhere and forgot to clean up their mess because their planet needed them.

The Titans are a shitty contrivance at this point. WoW explains everything by saying the Titans just left a bunch of shit everywhere and forgot to clean up their mess because their planet needed them.

Used to be their shitty contrivance was old gods.

Sargeras went insane? And old god did it!
Teldrassil corrupted? An old god did it!
Azol-Nerub twisted? An old god did it!
Keepers missing? An old god did it!
Half of Kalimdoor undermined by Silithid? An old god did it!

Also does anybody know what the framrate-destroying effect in P3 Lei Shen is so I can turn it down before next week's LFR runs? Someone was seriously crushing my machine the other night and I didn't have time to play with my settings and stay out of whip.

mclem

Well, that was amusing.

Just did the final part of LFR followed by the third part since we had some time left over. My cotank has been getting increasingly frustrated with the quantity of drops heading his way.

Iron Qon down, I get a neck. He gets gold.
Twin Consorts, I get a sword. He gets gold.
Lei Shen, we both get gold.

Durumu, I get gloves. He gets gold.
Primordius, I get the shield. He gets gold.
Dark Animus, we both get gold.

He was furious by the time the shield dropped.

Hey all, I'm looking at getting back into WoW. Can anyone send me a scroll of resurrection? Please PM me. Thanks a lot!

US or EU?

Darkspear Rebellion Aid Vol'jin's troll uprising during Patch 5.3: Escalation. Pit Vol'jin's troll uprising against Garrosh Hellscream's Horde during Patch 5.3: Escalation. Rewards Title: The Hordebreaker. 5 points.

Hell yeah, now that's a title, go Alliance woo! XD

Orca

So friends talked me into resubbing and swapping some characters over to the server they're on - Shadowsong I think it was.

Man, things have CHANGED since I last played. My two max levels were 70, so whenever that was...it's been so long that I forgot when I quit.

Is there someplace to catch me up on the differences? Specializations and the level-unlocked talents are new to me. I was tempted to start a new guy to experience it all from the start.

strafer

Mounts

Azure Water Strider stops walking on water when damage is taken.
Crimson Water Strider stops walking on water when damage is taken.
Golden Water Strider stops walking on water when damage is taken.
Jade Water Strider stops walking on water when damage is taken.
Orange Water Strider stops walking on water when damage is taken.

haha

Sethos

Banned
Christ, I've been going through a million LFRs it feels like and getting nothing but gold, gold and more gold. So I'm doing the terrace and I get a new belt woo! ... Then the exact same belt with a coin ... and the exact same belt on the next boss.

This game hates me.

mclem

A thought about the events of 5.3 (and indeed, 5.4):

I can't help wondering if these are going to be temporary, get-em-while-they're-there quests and achievements. In an expansion or two's time, the leftovers from them are going to look awfully odd to players who are starting the game fresh and levelling in Durotar. Admittedly, the game's done okay with the 'levelling time travel' in the past (1-70 being set *after* 70-80, effectively, then back to the original timeline for 80-90), but that's been alleviated somewhat by the fact that 70-80 is on a completely distinct continent, whereas this chunk of storyline is going to affect other areas too.

Perhaps clever use of phasing will avoid the issue.

Christ, I've been going through a million LFRs it feels like and getting nothing but gold, gold and more gold. So I'm doing the terrace and I get a new belt woo! ... Then the exact same belt with a coin ... and the exact same belt on the next boss.

This game hates me.

That's about in line with my LFR experiences too =P

ZenaxPure

Man, things have CHANGED since I last played. My two max levels were 70, so whenever that was...it's been so long that I forgot when I quit.

Is there someplace to catch me up on the differences? Specializations and the level-unlocked talents are new to me. I was tempted to start a new guy to experience it all from the start.

That would be TBC. Really all you need to know about talents is that EVERYTHING you got from talent trees before is now just rolled into your class/spec. As you level you unlock passive abilities that were those passive abilities you got from the talent trees anyway.

Also worth mentioning I guess is that every spec for every class in the game is legit now. TBC was moving a bit in that direction but things were still specialized quite a bit, but nowadays you can play whatever you want and be good at it.

Also your choice is probably the right one, Cataclysm completely revamped the 1-60 leveling experience. Every zone (save a few specific cases) got new quests and the whole process has been sped up. It will only take you a week or so (if you play every night) to get a character to where your other ones are.

Sciz

Weird though, I thought only the Azure Water Strider was actually implemented in-game.

They're all in the files, Azure's just the only one available. Sweeping changes like this get applied to everything regardless of whether or not players can actually get it, just in case they ever can.

Tarazet

I finally got lucky with a high-powered group, and we completely trivialized the Change of Command legendary quest. The item to socket the weapon isn't too expensive, so I bought it and put a yellow Crit gem in it. Then I did the last solo scenario and reached Exalted with Black Prince, so all that's left is to run the shit out of ToT for the next month or so.

Also worth mentioning I guess is that every spec for every class in the game is legit now. TBC was moving a bit in that direction but things were still specialized quite a bit, but nowadays you can play whatever you want and be good at it.

I should note that what this means is, everything is viable at 90 in a raid group. If you're trying to level a Monk healer, a Balance Druid, an Affliction Lock.. it's not very pleasant, though those classes can be excellent at endgame.

Robin64

Mmm...

Goldshire said:
9_G.jpg
Stranglethorn Arena said:
Westfall said:

More here: http://www.iindigo3d.com/wowalpha/album/

Kinda like the alpha human females.

ZenaxPure

I should note that what this means is, everything is viable at 90 in a raid group. If you're trying to level a Monk healer, a Balance Druid, an Affliction Lock.. it's not very pleasant, though those classes can be excellent at endgame.

I actually always found Affliction to be the best leveling spec for warlocks honestly, though, haven't done one since the major changes in MoP I guess.

That said, leveling as a healer/tank is pretty viable nowadays thanks to dungeon xp, I've been doing a new priest entirely as disc through there.

Robin64

I actually always found Affliction to be the best leveling spec for warlocks honestly, though, haven't done one since the major changes in MoP I guess.

That said, leveling as a healer/tank is pretty viable nowadays thanks to dungeon xp, I've been doing a new priest entirely as disc through there.

I was trying something similar, levelling as disc through Battlegrounds. As soon as I hit 10, I went there. Problem is, fully heirloomed players are godly, nobody protects their healers and there's no gear from it. Bleh. It's a bit of a slog. :\

ZenaxPure

I was trying something similar, levelling as disc through Battlegrounds. As soon as I hit 10, I went there. Problem is, fully heirloomed players are godly, nobody protects their healers and there's no gear from it. Bleh. It's a bit of a slog. :\

I have wanted to do something similar but the xp from BGs that aren't AV is pretty inconsistent. At least in my battlegroup that is, Alliance wins AV like 90% of the time and the matches are like 15 minutes at the longest. Actually got my shaman from 89 to 90 through AV in about 7ish hours which is almost on par with Dread Wastes if you don't have rest xp.

Robin64

Yeah, once AV unlocks it will be great. I can just run to the boss and spam heal the tank. Sadly that's not open til level 45, so right now I have to put up with WSG which mostly consists of bots killing each other in the middle. Not sure if I want to break my own criteria and do dungeons too, maybe just until AV unlocks.

Westlo

whats the current rogue leveling spec? Pretty much was always combat before but I guess things changed. Also mainly intend to level via dungeons since I'm using RAF.

ZenaxPure

whats the current rogue leveling spec? Pretty much was always combat before but I guess things changed. Also mainly intend to level via dungeons since I'm using RAF.

Combat is best for dungeons until you have fan of knives, then mutilate becomes pretty excellent since you will have infinite energy in 5 mans. Sub is pretty meh for dungeons in general.

If you end up questing in Pandaria any spec will work since you will not pull more than 1 mob at a time without dying so bladeflurry loses most of its usefulness.

Yeah, once AV unlocks it will be great. I can just run to the boss and spam heal the tank. Sadly that's not open til level 45, so right now I have to put up with WSG which mostly consists of bots killing each other in the middle. Not sure if I want to break my own criteria and do dungeons too, maybe just until AV unlocks.

I can't even stand WSG at max level honestly. It's alright in RBGs but CTF with PUGs is well... usually not fun. But yeah, that is pretty much why I haven't leveled an alt through BGs yet even though I really want to, all you really have till AV is AB which is tolerable I guess but the xp isn't consistent.

ZenaxPure

When did Feral Druids become viable in raids and stuff? I remember in Vanilla they weren't so much.

Eh, TBC started moving it forward. I didn't see a ton of cat druids in TBC raiding but my guild had a token bear druid we pulled out on some fights. Wrath is where it really started to shine with hybrid classes being able to do whatever they wanted, though.

CassSept

Cats started to shine in WotLK, but Bears became highly desirable in late TBC.

In Sunwell Bears were amazing tanks, to the point that for the guilds that only cleared T6 after 2.4 and had to farm gear in order to down Brutallus (those that farmed BT/MH for months before SWP it was breeze) Feral tank(s) were almost a necessity.

They were exceptional tanks. I remember my guild went through several Bears during SWP progress because they couldn't count to three but were still better because they didn't die as fast as warriors. Ridiculous.

mclem

So we downed Horridon! That was super stressful :)

Council is a bitch of a fight, though. At least we got something new to work on...

Actually, on that note: I love MoP dearly, but it could really do with a bit less linearity in the raids. A bit of choice for what to work on would make our life a lot easier when we have to deal with not having a second tank occasionally.

Nokterian

Playing and leveling my Pandaren Monk. I love the brewmaster and good survival in leveling works pretty good. Also when i have the 50% xp buff,my heirloom gear and guild xp and rested xp i level up so damn fast. Yesterday i went from level 31 to 36 is less then 2 hours. It is insane haha but it does help a lot when you have none and do it normal it takes it back to what you have in the beginning just your rested xp.

TimeKillr

Actually, on that note: I love MoP dearly, but it could really do with a bit less linearity in the raids. A bit of choice for what to work on would make our life a lot easier when we have to deal with not having a second tank occasionally.

I agree with you. I miss some of the Cata raids where you could just pick and choose who to do first (and ICC was great for that too with letting you choose the wings in any order).

Right now if you're stuck at a boss, you're stuck at it no matter what, which is pretty shitty.

AFAIK there's no single tank fights in ToT, right? Everything is 2 tanks (from what I've seen in LFR anyway) so there's no point in me having a DPS spec anymore, which kinda sucks. I loved DPSing Spirit Kings and the first boss of HoF, it was a nice break from the usual routine.

And omg Council was nerfed and it's still a clusterfuck. We need to get Sul down faster, or manage the empowered boss better or something, because it's ridiculous. We typically get Sul down to like 25% but by then we're dying.

We're also trying to do it this way:

Kill Sul first but deal with empowered
I tank Mar'li exclusively because I have great tools against her spirits (Chillblains + Icy Chains = root for 3 seconds that can't break + death grip just in case) but my magic defense is unbelievably sucky (2 interrupts and AMS), while if our warrior tanks it, he sucks at stopping the Loa since he has no real tools but he has 2 interrupts and 2 ways to get rid of the damage from the spells.

Our MT is also trying to live through being stunned, which I think might be a mistake, but then again when I get both Mar'li and Malak I'm almost insta gibbed because I get destroyed by the casts. We'll have to figure something out for that tonight.

Mudo

Sorry for my 2nd newb post in this thread in a week. I reactivated my old account and make a Panda Monk and just got done the first area and chose Alliance. The talent tree seems....shockingly different now and I want to make sure I understand it: 6 tiers and you pick 1 thing every 15 levels. I got that, and I understand that all monks learn a stock group of things as they level up, but on Wowpedia, under each specialization there is *another* list of abilities. I'm a Windwalker and it looks like on top of the talent thing and the base abilities there is another group of things you learn by level depending on your specialization. Is this correct? I'm just trying to make sense of how the system works now as I was having a hard time finding the information online in any concise manner....

I liked the first 12 levels - it's very pretty and the music was pleasant. I thought the quests were sorta throw-away for the most part, though. I remember lots of crazy things happening in quests from the beginning of Cataclysm that seemed more "epic" than these, but eh, the story isn't really why I'm playing lol.

Tamanon

Banned
Sorry for my 2nd newb post in this thread in a week. I reactivated my old account and make a Panda Monk and just got done the first area and chose Alliance. The talent tree seems....shockingly different now and I want to make sure I understand it: 6 tiers and you pick 1 thing every 15 levels. I got that, and I understand that all monks learn a stock group of things as they level up, but on Wowpedia, under each specialization there is *another* list of abilities. I'm a Windwalker and it looks like on top of the talent thing and the base abilities there is another group of things you learn by level depending on your specialization. Is this correct? I'm just trying to make sense of how the system works now as I was having a hard time finding the information online in any concise manner....

I liked the first 12 levels - it's very pretty and the music was pleasant. I thought the quests were sorta throw-away for the most part, though. I remember lots of crazy things happening in quests from the beginning of Cataclysm that seemed more "epic" than these, but eh, the story isn't really why I'm playing lol.

You've got it right. Basically your specialization determines what abilities you learn. Then on top of that, you can pick talents every 15 levels. This way your Windwalker spec will give you mainly abilities that deal with your ability to deal damage, while a Brewmaster would get skills to help them tank.

Mudo

You've got it right. Basically your specialization determines what abilities you learn. Then on top of that, you can pick talents every 15 levels. This way your Windwalker spec will give you mainly abilities that deal with your ability to deal damage, while a Brewmaster would get skills to help them tank.

Perfect, thanks! This makes the rather plain/simple looking talent trees easier to come to grips with!

mclem

I agree with you. I miss some of the Cata raids where you could just pick and choose who to do first (and ICC was great for that too with letting you choose the wings in any order).

Right now if you're stuck at a boss, you're stuck at it no matter what, which is pretty shitty.

AFAIK there's no single tank fights in ToT, right? Everything is 2 tanks (from what I've seen in LFR anyway) so there's no point in me having a DPS spec anymore, which kinda sucks. I loved DPSing Spirit Kings and the first boss of HoF, it was a nice break from the usual routine.

One tendency I have is I like to do thought experiments about different ways of doing fights that differ somewhat from the accepted strats. Our strategy for Void Reaver was *vastly* different from what was generally taken as gospel, and it worked for us. In particular, I'm always alert to try to figure out ways that fights can be single-tanked - on Tuesdays my normal cotank can't make it so I'm usually coupled with a weaker alt tank, which made me come up with strategies for Horridon and Lei Shi which while they weren't single-tank, *did* focus on ensuring I was able to take on all the tougher jobs. I was much more comfortable single-tanking Deathwing (both fights), Zon'ozz and Hagara, too, even though the usual strats would generally throw another tank into those.

Anyway, from the play I've done: I reckon it's possible to single-tank Council with good CD usage. I've been wondering if there's a Dark Animus strategy which would work for it, too. Not sure about that yet. It's still sparse on options, though.

Giggzy

Anyone here play a shaman at max level? I haven't played since the first month of MoP but I'm getting the itch again. I'm hesitant to play the shaman again because I really don't like the totem system. It seems like such an outdated concept. At the same time though I have no desire to level other characters to 90.

Do you other shamans enjoy the class? What spec do you use and why do you enjoy it?

scoobs

Totem system always confused the hell out of me. I left my shaman @85 and have no intention of leveling him. Blizzard hasn't ruined any classes ... all are good right now in one way or another

Kenai

I actually quit my (Resto) Shaman. I really liked the class during WotLK but I just "dealt" with it for most of Cata, finally redeeming myself in DS. Then it felt like crap again in MoP beta so I rerolled Monk-y and never looked back. I hated the fact that how good my Resto Shaman felt in a fight is entirely dependent on how effective Healing Rain is for that fight.

If you liked Shaman, it is almost the same as Cata healer-speaking, just with more CDs. Drop Healing Rain, use Riptide, keep Earth Shield up, use the same couple of totems that matter. Most totems are just rotational abilities or CDs rather than buffs, that's the only real change I can think of. All of the Shaman specs got buffs/new CDs, actually, but if you are talking Ele/Enh I couldn't tell you much beyond that.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Shaman are boring without the totems. It's what define the class.

Blizzard has fucked up so many classes now.

Getting rid of buff totems was needed. Having to deal with totem mechanic for things that other classes brought as passive buffs was just stupid.

ZenaxPure

Do you other shamans enjoy the class? What spec do you use and why do you enjoy it?

I have a Elemental shaman that I love playing, probably my third favorite spec in the game overall. Elemental is fun because the rotation is designed with no wasted space. The core rotation (before level 90 talents) is only 4 abilities but all 4 of those abilities work together. Flame shock buffs your lava burst damage and lightning bolt builds charges of a buff that makes your earth shock do more damage, in addition flame shock ticks also have a chance to reset the cooldown of lava burst so when you are using lightning bolt you're better off not queuing the next one until as late as possible to see if lava burst is reset, so no need to just mash away spamming the lightning bolt button as hard as you can. Two of the level 90 talents give you another button to hit but given how small the core rotation is by default these abilities aren't terribly offensive nor ruin the rotation even if they don't really add anything to it either.

Anyway, as others have said totems are pretty awesome now. The only totem you have to "maintain" as dps is your fire totem because it deals damage. Fire elemental is a cooldown, does massive amounts of damage when it's out and then otherwise you just use searing totem which lasts a full minute anyhow. All the other totems are entirely situational now and feel "strong" when you use them (healing stream totem heals for a decent amount each tick instead of a very small amount but only lasts 15 seconds, a totem that puts a bubble around you to absorb damage for a short time, etc).

Giggzy

You guys are giving me some motivation to stick with him, thanks.

Now I'm not sure what spec to go. I'm enhancement at the moment but have some gear for elemental too. Question, does gear between elemental and restoration interchangeable? Same stats that they go after? Kill 2 birds with 1 stone type of deal.

Tarazet

You guys are giving me some motivation to stick with him, thanks.

Now I'm not sure what spec to go. I'm enhancement at the moment but have some gear for elemental too. Question, does gear between elemental and restoration interchangeable? Same stats that they go after? Kill 2 birds with 1 stone type of deal.

You'll use the same pieces of gear, but you need a lot more Spirit to heal than you do to DPS. They try to force players who can use the same gear to maintain different sets by balancing the stat priority differently.. it's the same with Feral vs. Guardian Druid. If you try to tank in cat gear, you'll go squish, and if you try to DPS in tank gear, you'll do less DPS than you did as a tank..

Berordn

Elemental and Resto are a little better though, since much of their regen isn't spirit based and all the secondary stats on ele gear are viable throughput stats.

ZenaxPure

Also, as far as enhancement vs. elemental it all comes down to personal taste. I've never been a fan of enhancement myself because all of your abilities are tied to a cooldown. All of my favorite specs to play are centered around your abilities not having a cooldown and you knowing when to properly use them. But, again, all comes down to personal taste, a good friend of mine absolutely loves Enhance because "it's a bunch of buttons to hit" (his exact words) which is valid enough I guess. All comes down to what you want from a rotation, but, shaman has good diversity because Ele and Enhance play absolutely nothing like each other.

TimeKillr

One tendency I have is I like to do thought experiments about different ways of doing fights that differ somewhat from the accepted strats. Our strategy for Void Reaver was *vastly* different from what was generally taken as gospel, and it worked for us. In particular, I'm always alert to try to figure out ways that fights can be single-tanked - on Tuesdays my normal cotank can't make it so I'm usually coupled with a weaker alt tank, which made me come up with strategies for Horridon and Lei Shi which while they weren't single-tank, *did* focus on ensuring I was able to take on all the tougher jobs. I was much more comfortable single-tanking Deathwing (both fights), Zon'ozz and Hagara, too, even though the usual strats would generally throw another tank into those.

Anyway, from the play I've done: I reckon it's possible to single-tank Council with good CD usage. I've been wondering if there's a Dark Animus strategy which would work for it, too. Not sure about that yet. It's still sparse on options, though.

I would think solo-tanking Council would be a total bitch, if only for the fact that Mar'li is a nightmare. If you tank all 3 together, her spirits will reach their targets faster than anybody can kill them, which would be a huge problem. The only way to make that work is to kite Sul and Malak when she starts casting, and hope that the DPS is on the ball, but then you have incoming damage from Sul + Malak + Mar'li, which is a lot :)

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Super random but I haven't played this game since exactly 1 month after Cata came out. I logged on yesterday with a free 10 day trial and my guild is totally gone/dead. How is this game now looking at it from a strictly solo perspective? I always had a guild for raiding/pvp but now I'm thinking about just playing the game as casually as possible.

I guess what I'm asking is, has the old school "grind your dailies then log style" of solo play evolved at all?

cdyhybrid

Super random but I haven't played this game since exactly 1 month after Cata came out. I logged on yesterday with a free 10 day trial and my guild is totally gone/dead. How is this game now looking at it from a strictly solo perspective? I always had a guild for raiding/pvp but now I'm thinking about just playing the game as casually as possible.

I guess what I'm asking is, has the old school "grind your dailies then log style" of solo play evolved at all?

LFR lets you see all the raids now. Probably the biggest difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom