• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you horde or alliance? I play alliance on Shadowsong so if you need anything feel free to hit me up. I play solely on my shaman named Hugmytotems.

How long have you been there? Shadowsong was my first server years ago before the split to Shu'halo right before BC. The tales of drama I could tell about that server.

Looks like Pie Vendor is still around. They split off from the guild we left shortly before we did.

Trespass is still around as well. My first "holy shit" moment in the game was watching a couple of 60s and 50s from Trespass try to kill Tyrande back in '04.

mclem

Just popping in to say that Mar'li only attacks whoever she has threat on.

Ah! Fair enough. In which case, I'm thinking you could be sneaky. Build threat on her and *then* move away. Nothing will compete with you on threat if she's not the nuke target and you can maintain a safe distance for the healing loa. And when she *is* the nuke target, it'll be the shadowed loa rather than the healing loa, so it won't really matter if the other mobs are within easy range of her; a chance to replenish threat on her.

I wonder if her tendency to cast on a given mob might be why health bars get a bit scary whenever we do the Malak changeover; if someone picks up Malak but still has Mar'li attacking for a few moments, that's a bit of a spike the healers may need warning about.

mclem

Lei Shen makes me hate LFR. wasted 2 hours last night because people can't figure out that you actually want to stand in things sometimes.

We got it on our fourth try. Which - probably not coincidentally - is the one where we managed to correctly deactivate the chain lightning conduit after the first survival phase. Knocking that one out basically takes away any need to be spread out.

TheYanger

I think you guys mean they will cut WSG and Twin Peaks, I make sure to blacklist them on all of my characters before going to pvp, worst BGs ever for normal BGs.

Honestly Strand is probably my second favorite battleground (right behind Temple), it's usually over in less than 10 minutes and the objective is so clear and obvious that even random terrible players can even contribute. It's like a breath of fresh air compared to wsg/twin peaks that can last 20 minutes.

As for the bigger battlegrounds, I actually don't think they will remove them, but certainly will change them. On Holinka's twitter a few weeks ago he said that they are considering turning the large BGs (maybe even including WG and TB) back into big-ass "epic" games again and putting them in a different tab in the honor screen, so you could que for either a short BG or a long BG, and they would change those longer ones to give more honor/conquest.

I've never met ANYONE that didn't deactivate Strand and Isle. Ever. The CTF maps are fine, twin peaks is one of the best BGs honestly. Strand used to be fun but the vehicles have had so many changes over the years, they're basically demigods as it stands if your team is remotely competent. It's just not fun. Ditto Isle. AV would get disabled third if I could, although it used to be a fun bg it's just too zergy now, but at least it ends fast.

ZenaxPure

I've never met ANYONE that didn't deactivate Strand and Isle. Ever. The CTF maps are fine, twin peaks is one of the best BGs honestly. Strand used to be fun but the vehicles have had so many changes over the years, they're basically demigods as it stands if your team is remotely competent. It's just not fun. Ditto Isle. AV would get disabled third if I could, although it used to be a fun bg it's just too zergy now, but at least it ends fast.

Yeah, I pretty much am on the other side of the fence for all of that except AV (it is pretty boring since it's just a zerg). I just can't stand how long the CTF games are. I always almost hit the 20 minute mark in them which is just more time than I want to spend in a single random BG. Strand on the other hand can have matches that are less than 5 minutes.

I've only EVER enjoyed the CTF maps when I did them in RBGs, otherwise I find them trash.

strafer

One of the core values we live by here at Blizzard is “Embrace Your Inner Geek.” We play countless games, we collect comics and card games, we love cutting-edge technology and computer hardware, we’re fascinated by science and discovery, and many of us are movie buffs. Movies represent the combined imaginations of talented writers and visionaries, artists and operators, editors and producers, that can culminate in an awesome cinematic experience.

Coming in a future patch, characters with the Engineering profession will be able to produce this mechanical homage to the company that brought us award-winning television shows like Lost and Fringe, and are continuing the epic Star Trek and forthcoming Star Wars film sagas. Everyone has a chance to get their hands on this pet, allowing them to show off their mutual appreciation for Bad Robot, and the stories they’ve brought to our TVs and movie screens.

We hope everyone enjoys this new pet!

It’s with this motivation that we express our respect for JJ Abrams' Bad Robot Productions.

YI5U7JFYPZNQ1365037874907.jpg

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Just realized why my shaman felt so effing weird..not dropping all totems at once. They took it out eh. Damn. Maybe I should level my tank. =(

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Yeah I have it..it's annoying because it still displays timers for the fake totems too. Bleh.

Just realized why my shaman felt so effing weird..not dropping all totems at once. They took it out eh. Damn. Maybe I should level my tank. =(

But there's no reason to want this any longer. The reason it was helpful in the past is that you were dropping buffing totems so being able to drop four at once meant you were saving three global cooldowns. If they had it now you'd be dropping a selection of situational totems all at once (and a dps fire totem, of course). I suppose being able to drop the healing stream totem at the same time as a fire totem would be handy to save a global cooldown but really it's not needed.

I don't really see how this would want you to change to a different character since you can drop a fire totem in the same time it took you to drop four at a time and you still get all the buffs. The same end result.

I'm an expert

But there's no reason to want this any longer. The reason it was helpful in the past is that you were dropping buffing totems so being able to drop four at once meant you were saving three global cooldowns. If they had it now you'd be dropping a selection of situational totems all at once (and a dps fire totem, of course). I suppose being able to drop the healing stream totem at the same time as a fire totem would be handy to save a global cooldown but really it's not needed.

I don't really see how this would want you to change to a different character since you can drop a fire totem in the same time it took you to drop four at a time and you still get all the buffs. The same end result.

It's basically the gcd thing, especially in pvp.

I don't know why I do this to myself every week.

I'm ready to hurry up and go home, so it can hurry up and be tomorrow, so we can hurry up and raid, knowing it's likely we'll lose.

I WANT TO WIN AND MOVE ON. The other bosses up ahead aren't even this bad. I hate that fucking dinosaur.

It's basically the gcd thing, especially in pvp.

I never do any PVP so I suppose that's an area I didn't really consider. But yeah, you do lose a global cooldown to place both a fire and water totem. I guess in PVP you might want two situational down right at the start (earthbind and grounding? I don't know what's good for PVP).

I'm a pure PVE'er and I really enjoy only having to worry about placing one, occasionally two, totems at a time. If I want to get real wacky I can do all four if things time out (in)correctly with an earth elemental, searing, healing stream, and stormlash but I don't think that's actually ever come up.

Not sure if you use any add-ons for it but I really enjoy FloTotem I believe it's called. It's a simple totem bar that I put above my action bar and all of them are easily available for use.

Edit:
How long have you been there? Shadowsong was my first server years ago before the split to Shu'halo right before BC. The tales of drama I could tell about that server.

Looks like Pie Vendor is still around. They split off from the guild we left shortly before we did.

Trespass is still around as well. My first "holy shit" moment in the game was watching a couple of 60s and 50s from Trespass try to kill Tyrande back in '04.
Just remembered seeing you ask this. I've only been there since August. Character was on Deathwing, I believe, but my girlfriend plays occasionally on Shadowsong and I really wanted to get off of a PVP server when cross realm zones hit as I only found myself endless frustrated by all the deaths. I like the server but I don't really know too many people. I chat randomly with folks and recognize some guild names but that's about it. My guild, The Chosen Ones, was just a random Level 25 guild I got into when I moved over so I'd have the experience boost from a guild. They're nice but now there's hardly ever anyone on. They used to raid in Cata but there's only about four of us that are geared enough for even MSV, sadly. Sort of thinking of looking for a more active guild just so there's people to chat with when I'm bored and flying around between places. For awhile now the most people I'll find online at one time is four, and usually one or two of those are just in remote chat. If you know an active, but not overly serious, guild on the Alliance side I'm all ears.

I'm an expert

I never do any PVP so I suppose that's an area I didn't really consider. But yeah, you do lose a global cooldown to place both a fire and water totem. I guess in PVP you might want two situational down right at the start (earthbind and grounding? I don't know what's good for PVP).

I'm a pure PVE'er and I really enjoy only having to worry about placing one, occasionally two, totems at a time. If I want to get real wacky I can do all four if things time out (in)correctly with an earth elemental, searing, healing stream, and stormlash but I don't think that's actually ever come up.

Not sure if you use any add-ons for it but I really enjoy FloTotem I believe it's called. It's a simple totem bar that I put above my action bar and all of them are easily available for use.

Whether I'm playing hardcore or casual, pvp will always be my main focus in this game. It's the only thing that keeps me entertained. Pve is boring for someone like me who's been with it since the beginning. 2600 in bg9!! is still the warcry of my old friends lol.

Whether I'm playing hardcore or casual, pvp will always be my main focus in this game. It's the only thing that keeps me entertained. Pve is boring for someone like me who's been with it since the beginning. 2600 in bg9!! is still the warcry of my old friends lol.

I'm so laughably bad at pvp. Especially on my shaman. I used to pally tank for a few years and I was able to survive and do some real damage in some scenarios that way but even then I didn't really do a ton of battlegrounds. I also did some 2v2 with my roommate (I think we ended around 4-35) and some 3v3 (something like 10-10?). I'm simply miserable at it. But I also don't use pvp gear, spec for it, or really change anything, haha.

Yesterday I went around with a group to kill warbringers and while waiting for one to spawn the shadow priest and warrior dueled until they finally just gave up after about five minutes. The priest then dueled me and I'm not certain I did any damage to him at all before he killed me in about ten seconds. I don't even know what to do. I think I was still working on his shield and I was dead.

Instead I do just about anything else. Achievements are the driving force in giving me something to pursue (which is really why I've done any pvp at all). I collect mounts and pets. I try to clear all the pve content available. I do the absolute dumbest grinds, barring "the Insane" title. Somehow I'm satisfied getting as many reps to exalted that I can and hunting for the obscure mounts and such. I've fallen WAY behind on pet battles, though. Ugh, I'm so afraid of even trying to get into that at this point with the hundreds of pets out there.

ZenaxPure

Instead I do just about anything else. Achievements are the driving force in giving me something to pursue (which is really why I've done any pvp at all). I collect mounts and pets. I try to clear all the pve content available. I do the absolute dumbest grinds, barring "the Insane" title. Somehow I'm satisfied getting as many reps to exalted that I can and hunting for the obscure mounts and such. I've fallen WAY behind on pet battles, though. Ugh, I'm so afraid of even trying to get into that at this point with the hundreds of pets out there.

I feel you man, I am the same way. The only reason I came back to the game in wotlk was for achievements. I joined some old friends for casual raiding, but, the rest of my time was spent going after achievements. When I started collecting mounts I pretty much fell in love with that and spent a loottttttttt of time doing it, still do. Didn't really get into pet collecting until this expansion though, mounts always had a practical use unlike pets so I never bothered with them, but, now that you can fight with them I've actually went out of my way to collect as many as I can.

SRTtoZ

Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny

=)

lol yep. So hows Shaman healing? Still crap compared to every other class? I know they buffed every healer in the past few months but didnt change a THING for Shaman which is a shame.

lol yep. So hows Shaman healing? Still crap compared to every other class? I know they buffed every healer in the past few months but didnt change a THING for Shaman which is a shame.

The most recent update on the PTR has buffs for shaman healing:

Chain Heal had a ~18% increase to healing and SP scaling.
Earthliving had a 20% increase to healing and SP scaling.
Healing Rain had a 20% increase to healing and SP scaling.
Healing Rain now costs 36.6% of Base Mana, down from 43.1%.

I'm looking forward to the buffs enhancement is getting in 5.3 from what the patch notes have shown.

SRTtoZ

The most recent update on the PTR has buffs for shaman healing:

Chain Heal had a ~18% increase to healing and SP scaling.
Earthliving had a 20% increase to healing and SP scaling.
Healing Rain had a 20% increase to healing and SP scaling.
Healing Rain now costs 36.6% of Base Mana, down from 43.1%.

I'm looking forward to the buffs enhancement is getting in 5.3 from what the patch notes have shown.

ahh nice, finally. Any idea when 5.3 is supposed to hit? the next few weeks or so?

ahh nice, finally. Any idea when 5.3 is supposed to hit? the next few weeks or so?

I haven't been following the timing of things but I would imagine three weeks sounds about right. It's a smaller patch compared to 5.2 and it's been in the PTR for perhaps a month now? I don't quite recall.

I think the main changes will be three new scenarios, heroic scenario versions for six of them (I believe), additions to the Brawler's Guild, more pet battles changes and new pets, and I'm fairly certain some PVP changes in gearing and such? I think a new battleground? And then of course the usual patch stuff with some balance changes and general tweaks.

SRTtoZ

I haven't been following the timing of things but I would imagine three weeks sounds about right. It's a smaller patch compared to 5.2 and it's been in the PTR for perhaps a month now? I don't quite recall.

I think the main changes will be three new scenarios, heroic scenario versions for six of them (I believe), additions to the Brawler's Guild, more pet battles changes and new pets, and I'm fairly certain some PVP changes in gearing and such? I think a new battleground? And then of course the usual patch stuff with some balance changes and general tweaks.

Yea I was just reading that. So I think for now I'm gonna start a new toon since I have all the heirlooms and play him until my Shaman gets a healing buff. Leaning towards a Lock.

Slayerx

I was under the impression that shaman buffs were on live version shortly after 5.2 launch via hotfix, the ptr stuff is tooltip changes.

Orca

Are you horde or alliance? I play alliance on Shadowsong so if you need anything feel free to hit me up. I play solely on my shaman named Hugmytotems.

Alliance - mage named Aeril. I haven't played much yet though, still getting accustomed to the new job.

I was under the impression that shaman buffs were on live version shortly after 5.2 launch via hotfix, the ptr stuff is tooltip changes.

Looks like you're correct with the healing buffs as those were part of an older hotfix now that I've looked back. But I checked through all the hotfixes for 5.2 and none of them have the enhancement buffs so I'm guessing those haven't been put to live yet? I could be wrong but it's definitely not included in the hotfix notes.

CassSept

I've been impressed with how they've handled Lor'themar.

True, they promised they would eventually develop Lor'themar but I doubted they could deliver on it. Somehow they managed to pull it off.

However, I think Vol'jin will become the new warchief. Maybe in SoO ending cinematic or some 5.5 event.

ZenaxPure

True, they promised they would eventually develop Lor'themar but I doubted they could deliver on it. Somehow they managed to pull it off.

However, I think Vol'jin will become the new warchief. Maybe in SoO ending cinematic or some 5.5 event.

Yeah, I don't see it being anyone other than Vol'jin either, but, who knows Blizz may surprise us. I think it'd make more sense to be part of some 5.5 event than right when we finish the siege, but who knows!

Tamanon

Banned
There's still the possibility Vol'Jin dies or sacrifices himself somehow in the siege. That would leave Baine or Lor'Themar.

I'm an expert

Geezus lol..now I'm looking at my war's changes and..yeah..geezus..

CassSept

There's still the possibility Vol'Jin dies or sacrifices himself somehow in the siege. That would leave Baine or Lor'Themar.

Lor'Themar would be an interesting pick but Jesus Christ, imagine the outrage over a Blood Elf becoming leader of the Horde :lol

Kenai

I dunno. I think the lore-people might flip out but Blood Elves are pretty damn popular and aesthetically appealing to a lot of the playerbase, Alliance and Horde alike. Plus, what better way to make up for so many years of neglect, and get people to actually visit Silvermoon City? It was mentioned earlier in the thread, but I agree with the sentiment that the Kirin Tor offensive/Sunreaver Onslaught has been the most interesting development in years from the faction leaders. I'd complain that they should do the same for the Draenei as well, but if the musings about
the next expansion being a Legion invasion
are true, then they will surely play a huge role in that.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Anyone here play a shaman at max level? I haven't played since the first month of MoP but I'm getting the itch again. I'm hesitant to play the shaman again because I really don't like the totem system. It seems like such an outdated concept. At the same time though I have no desire to level other characters to 90.

Do you other shamans enjoy the class? What spec do you use and why do you enjoy it?

I like the way that totems work now. They're aura buffs and don't require to me to click to buff the raid or anything.

I think it makes the totem mechanics that they're used as needed rather than "down all the time".

I play as Elemental and I still love the class. I've been playing since Vanilla.

Edit: RE: PvP... I'd say Strand or IoC would be cut if they did do any cuts. I honestly don't mind Strand as much as people seem to dislike it, but it doesn't seem as fun as a simple CTF or node-control map.

Slayerx

Hmmm, just got the second ominous seed from tilling in the space of 2 days, I wonder how much the pet sells for.

Edit: oh 100g -_-

ZenaxPure

Hmmm, just got the second ominous seed from tilling in the space of 2 days, I wonder how much the pet sells for.

Edit: oh 100g -_-

Used to be more expensive (when I originally got mine they were going for about 2k) but I assume given how more and more people have been doing farm stuff over time it drove the prices down. Somehow despite farming on almost a daily basis between 4 characters I've never gotten one.

Slayerx

Used to be more expensive (when I originally got mine they were going for about 2k) but I assume given how more and more people have been doing farm stuff over time it drove the prices down. Somehow despite farming on almost a daily basis between 4 characters I've never gotten one.

And after saying all this firefly drops in the tanking bag lol. Something tells me this 32k auction house price is wishful thinking.

Ripclawe

Banned
Golden Lotus Rep grind is making me insane..... why is this the first one to make me go insane???? Something about it pisses me off and I think because the rep points from each quest is way too low.

Slayerx

Golden Lotus Rep grind is making me insane..... why is this the first one to make me go insane???? Something about it pisses me off and I think because the rep points from each quest is way too low.

It was even worse on Frostmourne during release, it took minutes of running around to just find an untapped mob. Sometimes 30 minutes just to finish one hub.

Hmmmmm, 8 people from my friend list on in WoW, this doesn't really happen.... Just went to an lfr to get tier 14 gloves and they actually dropped, why can't Throne of Thunder work like this :( My incredible luck from t14 didn't carry over this tier.

Perhaps you're already doing this but invite other folks out there doing dailies into parties. Most will accept and for most the quests it means you'll blaze through them since most don't require individual items (the little guys that drop the barrels is the one that comes right to mind). Most the times I did dailies out there I had at least one other person in a party with me and usually it was appreciated since it cut down the time for both and removed some frustration from tagging.

I actually liked the Golden Lotus compared to August Celestials or Shado-Pan.

Edit: Is the Ominous Seed for the Terrible Turnip? I've never been able to get one of my own but noticed a couple for 25g or so on the AH and nabbed myself one finally. That was a huge price difference from earlier on when I actually thought about getting one.

ZenaxPure

Edit: Is the Ominous Seed for the Terrible Turnip? I've never been able to get one of my own but noticed a couple for 25g or so on the AH and nabbed myself one finally. That was a huge price difference from earlier on when I actually thought about getting one.

It sure it. He can be useful if you want to capture pets without any risk since he has false swipe weakening blow.

On the topic of Golden Lotus I liked it myself as well. I think it was a bit too long (should have just been 1 or 2 hubs, not 3) but I thought it was pretty damn amazing how much quest variety there was to it. 5 different hubs total with even more different quests per hub. I still do Lotus quests when I need vp since I still need 5 more Skyshards (so it makes sense to just go through them since you get them from any vale kills and you can get them from the treasure chest from the Lotus boss quest) and I have actually ran into a few times where I got a set of quests I had never seen before despite hitting exalted. Kinda blows my mind really.

It sure it. He can be useful if you want to capture pets without any risk since he has false swipe weakening blow.

On the topic of Golden Lotus I liked it myself as well. I think it was a bit too long (should have just been 1 or 2 hubs, not 3) but I thought it was pretty damn amazing how much quest variety there was to it. 5 different hubs total with even more different quests per hub. I still do Lotus quests when I need vp since I still need 5 more Skyshards (so it makes sense to just go through them since you get them from any vale kills and you can get them from the treasure chest from the Lotus boss quest) and I have actually ran into a few times where I got a set of quests I had never seen before despite hitting exalted. Kinda blows my mind really.
I've been considering it for more skyshards. And the gold and VP are always something I can use. Also, there's still a couple achievements from that zone I never got around to working on so I could always work on cleaning those up.

Gosh, now I really want to do those dailies! Have a short rough draft I need to get online in the next couple hours but probably hop on afterwards just to do those dailies again. Oh, and finally finish ranking up my cooking student or whatever he's called. So much to do!

ZenaxPure

Oh, and finally finish ranking up my cooking student or whatever he's called. So much to do!

Nomi is awesome. Takes a pretty long time to finally get him to max rank (since you can't even start without that one achievement) but he is quite literally free gold ever day giving you good food and a token, pretty amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom