• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome start to the week for me so far.

I go to kill Nalak, but my LFR queue pops as I'm in combat with him. I figure if I go do LFR, I won't actually get kill credit, so I'll fight him when I get out. No big deal. When I'm done with LFR, there's another Alliance group there to kill him. Awesome! No bonus roll. What?

Turns out I did get kill credit for the last attempt. Got a letter from the Postmaster giving me my nice 28 gold Stormtouched fail box. No bonus roll.

Two LFR wings later, no secrets either. Still 18/20. I'm hoping I'll get lucky in the other two wings, but ugh.

Don't even ask me about my raid last week. :(

They bumped up the drop rates in there dramatically to make it easier to gear up for ToT without being able to skip the raids entirely. Loot pretty much rains on you in the T14 stuff.
Thanks for the runs tonight. Hopefully we can finish on Thursday if I can avoid wife agro. Lol

Thanks for the runs tonight. Hopefully we can finish on Thursday if I can avoid wife agro. Lol

Sorry about having to cut things short. My friend broke up with her boyfriend the other night so I went to dinner with her to cheer her up a bit. Hadn't really been planning for it but it'll give us a good opportunity to either snag a healer to help finish up or possibly I could learn how to actually play resto and do a better job. And maybe snag some cheap resto gear.

Edit: Did some reading up on resto and also purchased a few cheap greens and some cheap gems. Nearly doubled my spell power from when we tried earlier and a bunch of extra spirit. Should be a little more prepared. Not comfortable to heal up a heroic or something but I have a better idea of how to handle resto at this point. Still missing about five resto pieces to have a full set and honestly feel like I have tiny heals but oh well!

cdyhybrid

Managed to get my Patron title in one sitting, with minimal PvP frustration. Just need Midsummer Festival and Brewfest now.

Blew a coin on both Galleon and Consorts and no helmet.

ZenaxPure

Well got my last secret and finally did the solo scenario, was quite a bit of fun indeed. A lot longer than I was expecting, but that's not a negative. Hope the next collection part doesn't take too long, though, and I hope I can get my tier hat before I finish up the whole chain.

strafer

Seems like loom shields will be back in 5.3.

heirloomShields.png

And..

triSpecReasoning.png

Sorry about having to cut things short. My friend broke up with her boyfriend the other night so I went to dinner with her to cheer her up a bit. Hadn't really been planning for it but it'll give us a good opportunity to either snag a healer to help finish up or possibly I could learn how to actually play resto and do a better job. And maybe snag some cheap resto gear.

Edit: Did some reading up on resto and also purchased a few cheap greens and some cheap gems. Nearly doubled my spell power from when we tried earlier and a bunch of extra spirit. Should be a little more prepared. Not comfortable to heal up a heroic or something but I have a better idea of how to handle resto at this point. Still missing about five resto pieces to have a full set and honestly feel like I have tiny heals but oh well!

It's all good! I'm going to make some adjustments to my DK as well. I have to help my son with a school project tonight but I'll jump on if I can. If not I should be in Thursday. We need to find a 4th just in case too.

Anybody in the thread have any suggestions for an easy way to do "been waiting a long time for this" in ICC 10 man?

So last night a guildie said she wanted to play a game. She was going to hide in Stormwind, and the first person to find her wins a jewelcrafting panther mount - any color but black. I was doing my dailies in Pandaria and figured it was bullshit so I kept doing them when she said “okay, GO!” About five minutes later, no one can find her and everyone’s whining that she must be cheating.

I said “pffft I can find you,” so I ported to SW and made a macro to target her. Figured she’d be underwater or high in the sky but I found her Noggenfogger’d into a skeleton laying down in the destroyed area next to the Mage Quarter. I won! I requested green, but still didn’t believe it was real until she crafted the damn thing right in front of me. $25k market value. I told her we were BFFs forever now and that I’ll be her port bitch whenever she needed it.

Bizazedo said:
I know how this sounds, but I don't care.

I cannot stand facing Monk Healers in PvP.
racist.

Sounds like Exodus woke up and smelled their adult lives calling.

In the last few years we've certainly picked up the pace, but the "hardcore raider" is a dying breed and it's certainly becoming a more difficult breed to be a part of. What I mean by this is of course the time commitment and the level of shear dedication and determination it takes and costs to be at the very top. This isn't to poke fun, but to just shed light of why many people, and subsequently, many guilds will fall. Raiding for many many hours on end is fun, CAN be exciting, and at the end of it all can really prove who really wants that world first/us first/realm first the most.

Bizazedo

So last night a guildie said she wanted to play a game. She was going to hide in Stormwind, and the first person to find her wins a jewelcrafting panther mount - any color but black. I was doing my dailies in Pandaria and figured it was bullshit so I kept doing them when she said “okay, GO!” About five minutes later, no one can find her and everyone’s whining that she must be cheating.

I said “pffft I can find you,” so I ported to SW and made a macro to target her. Figured she’d be underwater or high in the sky but I found her Noggenfogger’d into a skeleton laying down in the destroyed area next to the Mage Quarter. I won! I requested green, but still didn’t believe it was real until she crafted the damn thing right in front of me. $25k market value. I told her we were BFFs forever now and that I’ll be her port bitch whenever she needed it.
Grats!

I'll be honest, though, I am shocked no one else made a target / focus macro for her. Clever move on her part though to essentially be in plain sight.

I wish!

They're essentially incredibly hard for melee to kill.

Bizazedo

They're like Rogues with heals. Very tricky especially if they disarm you.

My problem is it's like they're tailor made to screw Warriors where the sun doesn't shine.

They can incapacitate me (berserker rage at least, here).

They can ring of peace me which basically means I can't play til it's done as at that point they chase me or put it on the melee trying to peel me off. The most infuriating part of it is there's no real counter to it. I can't rage or stun him out of it.

If I stun him, I can't hit him for the next several seconds. Not enough to put him down, especially. And when the stun wears off, he rolls or chi torpedoes away....

....at which point if I charge him again, he's stunned, and then mostly unhittable again. All this time his cooldowns are recharging and the chances of smashing him are low.

It's infuriating. Even with a glyphed Heroic Leap I can't keep up effectively.

Only thing I can think of is to say screw it and go Dragon's Roar next time.

Really, the only thing that super bothers me is their increased chance to not be hit by anything after a stun. It's something crazy like 75%, so I usually miss every time until it wears off.

I just want to say that the Capacitive Primal Diamond is awesome. It procs quite a bit.

They call me "Lightning Fists". Not really. But they should!

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Another player whispered me because of my transmog set, i'm surprised i dont see more people with it, it does look pretty good on draeneis. :p

Testing that new gifcam thing :
wowjrcxb.gif

Fonz72

Just need to vent/brag for my buddy. I FINALLY talked one of my friends into playing WoW. Did the recruit-a-friend thing and we have been having a pretty good time. Been playing about 3 weeks. So last week he says "I have this sword I can't equip, it's purple, that's good right?" FML! I've been playing for over a year and haven't gotten an epic drop! Then we run Stratholme and the Deathcharger's Reins drop.................Mother FUCKING NEWB get's them!

No, it's all good! I'm very happy for his amazing luck it has pretty much cemented him as a WoW player. Just needed to share that with a crowd that will understand.

ZenaxPure

I'm glad to see they are still doing special dialogue for rogues who have finished the dagger quest chain. Such a minor touch that they could easily not bother with and wouldn't effect anyone but it makes me feel even more cool doing this quest chain as well. That replaces the stuff that he says otherwise when you come back after using the Spear on Nalak. There has been some other stuff as well, when you walk into the tavern for the very first time he talks about how nice it is to see you again and automatically bumps you up to honored rep with him. I hope they keep dropping minor stuff like that as the chain goes forward.

7Fhq0oB.jpg

RPGCrazied

Got another Gara'kal, Fist of the Spiritbinder today! I think its ugly, so I transmogged them with Claw of the phoenix. This has to be the sexiest fist weapon in the game. its just sad you can't display them when they are sheathed. They become invisible.

Kenai

My problem is it's like they're tailor made to screw Warriors where the sun doesn't shine.

They can incapacitate me (berserker rage at least, here).

They can ring of peace me which basically means I can't play til it's done as at that point they chase me or put it on the melee trying to peel me off. The most infuriating part of it is there's no real counter to it. I can't rage or stun him out of it.

If I stun him, I can't hit him for the next several seconds. Not enough to put him down, especially. And when the stun wears off, he rolls or chi torpedoes away....

....at which point if I charge him again, he's stunned, and then mostly unhittable again. All this time his cooldowns are recharging and the chances of smashing him are low.

It's infuriating. Even with a glyphed Heroic Leap I can't keep up effectively.

Only thing I can think of is to say screw it and go Dragon's Roar next time.

Really, the only thing that super bothers me is their increased chance to not be hit by anything after a stun. It's something crazy like 75%, so I usually miss every time until it wears off.

That's the thing though, I don't think it's OP that *one* healer can keep from dying vs one DPS. I actually thought that's how it's supposed to be. Also notice how you seem to have no fear whatsoever of dying from this Monk by itself, which I also think is fine.

Monk healers give up the ability to effectively heal others (unless their healing target stands still) while they are defending themselves. Their only real instant healing spells are ReM (a weak HoT) Chi Torpedo (if they use this to heal they can't run) and Healing Sphere (a really good spell, but really hard to use on moving targets besides themselves). They are most vulnerable right after that Dematerialize (the anti-stun you mentioned). If you coordinate with someone else, it's not hard at all to burst them down afterwards. Just proc it, let it fade (it's quite easy to see the visual). then blow em up. They have to run away (assuming they can), and whoever they were healing is wide open. And if they are alone and decide to try to fight you instead of run, they will just be overwhelmed.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Ok, i gotta ask... is there a known bug about the "A little patience" scenario? I pick the Laborer's tool, but nothing is happening after this. The King has the speech bubble over his head, but i cant talk to him, and there is no indication on the map as to where the 2 camps to build are... i've seen this twice in the past week.

ZenaxPure

Ok, i gotta ask... is there a known bug about the "A little patience" scenario? I pick the Laborer's tool, but nothing is happening after this. The King has the speech bubble over his head, but i cant talk to him, and there is no indication on the map as to where the 2 camps to build are... i've seen this twice in the past week.

yeah, there is some bug that seems to prevent the scenario from starting. Been that way since it launched but it's entirely random when it happens. Wish they would fix it.

Entropia

No One Remembers

Err... am I reading this wrong or is what GC said make no sense?

1) Dual Spec was added in wrath.
2) Dual spec was added primarily for hybrid classes, and for the ability for "pures" to have a PvP/PvE spec (or in some cases, variations on their other build)

Err... am I reading this wrong or is what GC said make no sense?

1) Dual Spec was added in wrath.
2) Dual spec was added primarily for hybrid classes, and for the ability for "pures" to have a PvP/PvE spec (or in some cases, variations on their other build)

I think what he's trying to say is that talent specs (in general/from the beginning) were added to the game so people could feel different. With tri-specs, everyone can do everything anytime, so everyone feels the same? Ionno, it's phrased weird.

ZenaxPure

I think what he's trying to say is that talent specs (in general/from the beginning) were added to the game so people could feel different. With tri-specs, everyone can do everything anytime, so everyone feels the same? Ionno, it's phrased weird.

That is how I read it, mostly because they've said the same thing in the past.

cdyhybrid

People use different talents because most of the time they mean nothing. And the min/maxers are almost always using the same talents, so I dunno what he's getting at.

People use different talents because most of the time they mean nothing. And the min/maxers are almost always using the same talents, so I dunno what he's getting at.

Less focus on talents and more on specs, to my understanding. He's saying they incorporated talent specs so the same class could play differently. By allowing tri-spec everybody would theoretically have all three different specs set so that anyone could swap to any role (within their class) at any time. And that'd take away the bit of uniqueness most players have within encounters. Of course you'd still have to gear properly for the other specs, etc., but the point is essentially the same.

cdyhybrid

Having to gear a third spec and the variety/flexibility it would offer would keep me playing a lot longer than feeling "unique" though.

Having to gear a third spec and the variety/flexibility it would offer would keep me playing a lot longer than feeling "unique" though.

Not me. Good lord, gearing my Monk was bad enough. Then I decided I'd level my Shaman to 90 and gear her, too. And then I decided I'd gear up an elemental set as well.

I'm not even sure how some of you guys can do so many alts. I think my guildmaster seriously has one of each class at 90.

ZenaxPure

I'm not even sure how some of you guys can do so many alts. I think my guildmaster seriously has one of each class at 90.

I've got everything but monk to 90 now, the trick is just knowing what you want to do with your alt. I do LFR on a few of them, but not every single week, others are purely just there because I wanted them for professions (have everything except blacksmith at max now). I tend to go in cycles, I ran through ToT a bit on my ret paladin but haven't done it in like a month, started doing it on my Shaman instead, now I am doing it on my DK. I pvp on my mage when a BG holiday I care about rolls around.

Honestly I'd probably go insane if I tried to seriously play all of them, I prefer to spend my time doing everything I can on my rogue, my alts are just for when I want to do something different.

cdyhybrid

Not me. Good lord, gearing my Monk was bad enough. Then I decided I'd level my Shaman to 90 and gear her, too. And then I decided I'd gear up an elemental set as well.

I've really only been playing my Monk for the past few weeks. Still so much to do that I don't have time for an alt.

Edit: Got Test of Valor now. Also, leveling Enchanting is brutal. I am dead broke.

Acidote

Last night I cleared the whole ToT LFR and 5 normal mode bosses and ended up with one secret of the empire. At this rate I'll be done in 8 weeks. Although no weapons dropped, it looks like things are finally getting better.

strafer

hahahaha

Duke Studlington is a male blood elf that wanders around the Brawl'gar Arena in Orgrimmar - Valley of Honor, using the /flex emote and generally just being overly cocky.

If you talk to him, he will say the following randomly:

I beat up three orcs and a tauren last night, all without breaking a nail.

Do you even lift, bro?

You want a knuckle sandwich, chump?

>.<

Tarazet

Last night I cleared the whole ToT LFR and 5 normal mode bosses and ended up with one secret of the empire. At this rate I'll be done in 8 weeks. Although no weapons dropped, it looks like things are finally getting better.

I ran all 12 bosses, got a boot upgrade and a Secret off of almost every boss. I'm serious - I had 3 when I started, and I'm at 11/20 now.

Bizazedo

That's the thing though, I don't think it's OP that *one* healer can keep from dying vs one DPS. I actually thought that's how it's supposed to be. Also notice how you seem to have no fear whatsoever of dying from this Monk by itself, which I also think is fine.

Monk healers give up the ability to effectively heal others (unless their healing target stands still) while they are defending themselves. Their only real instant healing spells are ReM (a weak HoT) Chi Torpedo (if they use this to heal they can't run) and Healing Sphere (a really good spell, but really hard to use on moving targets besides themselves). They are most vulnerable right after that Dematerialize (the anti-stun you mentioned). If you coordinate with someone else, it's not hard at all to burst them down afterwards. Just proc it, let it fade (it's quite easy to see the visual). then blow em up. They have to run away (assuming they can), and whoever they were healing is wide open. And if they are alone and decide to try to fight you instead of run, they will just be overwhelmed.

Well, honestly, most healers should be able to keep themselves up in a 1 dps on them scenario, so ignoring that little bit for now. Rogues can stunlock them, but otherwise, they should be able to hold up in an arena setting, at least for awhile. I think you're thinking of more of a world pvp scenario whereas I was thinking of Arena / BGs with two teams working together to annihilate each other.

The thing about Monks is due to their defensive abilities + mobility, they can last an indefinite amount of time if they're smart.

They are not most vulnerable after Dematerialize because that's when they wait to use Ring of Peace or their incapacitate move, etc. Or they start rolling / torpedoing away at that point (where, again, you can't stun them to stop this).

You did give me an idea, though, so (no sarcasm, seriously) I wanted to ask you since you seem to know how they work. Are you suggesting the best way is to split the dps, one on his teammates and the other on him? Like what are his biggest heals he can do / how long do they take?

Stupid question, has to be asked.

Did you remember to try and loot the bosses in Normal mode?

The three button spec. <.<
Let's talk about my rotation then.

Offensive buttons
Arcane Power
Mirror Image
Arcane Blast
Nether Tempest
Arcane Missiles
Arcane Barrage
Arcane Explosion
Fire Blast (when Arcane locked)

Defensive buttons
Incanter's Ward
Blink
Blazing Speed
Slow Fall
Greater Invisibility
Ice Block
Frost Nova

I use every single one of those buttons just about every time I log, so why the "three button" hate? Would you prefer spell bloat?

And yes, I'm bored at work right now.

Bizazedo

Let's talk about my rotation then.

Offensive buttons
Arcane Power
Mirror Image
Arcane Blast
Nether Tempest
Arcane Missiles
Arcane Barrage
Arcane Explosion
Fire Blast (when Arcane locked)

Defensive buttons
Incanter's Ward
Blink
Blazing Speed
Slow Fall
Greater Invisibility
Ice Block
Frost Nova

I use every single one of those buttons just about every time I log, so why the "three button" hate? Would you prefer spell bloat?

And yes, I'm bored at work right now.

How many per fight, not how many per log :).

i.e., Slow Fall isn't a common one for PvE (and you should be Frost or Fire, anyways, for PvP).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom