• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZenaxPure

You can't put Sha-Touched gem in it though. :( I will miss that +500 int gem.

Don't forget you can still put the extra gem slot from the 5.1 stuff on that weapon though, they are pretty cheap too.

Hey guys, I jumped in to WoW with both feet and bought myself the games up until Cataclysm. Currently I'm a level 22 Worgen Rogue. I have one question though: I'm finding the game rather easy. I'm doing all the quests in an area and one or two dungeons and I'm still not finished the level 10-20 area and am at level 22. Should I be moving on? It feels wrong to leave things behind. Should I be trying to find dungeons in the world, or should I be "cheating" and teleporting to them with the dungeon finder?

The leveling experience is pretty easy, don't worry about it. As for your level, dungeons give bucket loads of xp so you can often out level a zone if you run a dungeon or two. As for staying there, it's all up to you. As long as the quests aren't gray in your quest log they will still give a decent amount of xp, but, going to the next zone will give more if you're looking to level faster.

I think the important thing to note there is you can always go back later if you just want to see the story, and, there is usually 3 to 4 zones per your level range until you reach level 60, so, you can't really do all of them on 1 character while leveling.

Hey guys, I jumped in to WoW with both feet and bought myself the games up until Cataclysm. Currently I'm a level 22 Worgen Rogue. I have one question though: I'm finding the game rather easy. I'm doing all the quests in an area and one or two dungeons and I'm still not finished the level 10-20 area and am at level 22. Should I be moving on? It feels wrong to leave things behind. Should I be trying to find dungeons in the world, or should I be "cheating" and teleporting to them with the dungeon finder?

Going to dungeons without using LFG will be mostly impossible unless you're in a very busy guild with alts because nobody is looking to group up for them in the world. Everyone uses LFG. At 90 you'll occasionally see stuff form through trade chat but it's not common and mainly just raiding.

As for leaving the area before finishing all the quests? Up to you. I generally finished up an area without leaving unless things simply went gray. If they were green all the way through I'd just stick there until I got the zone achievement. Some people likely jet from place to place and that's just their style. I also don't queue for dungeons much as I level since I really like the quests and it does screw up the leveling pace. I'll try to do each dungeon once or twice and then drop it. But I've also ran all of them a billion times so being your first time in you'll benefit from the gear drops more since you don't have heirloom gear. And everything is new to you so dungeons are probably pretty damned awesome still.

Oh, and yeah, it'll be easy. You'll die extremely rarely while leveling until you hit Outlands and only there will you probably find some situations of being swarmed by too many mobs or a surprise elite you didn't expect to be roaming around.

You can move on whenever you hit each 5 level breakpoint unless you want to experience the story.

And don't bother finding the dungeons, it's not cheating, it's just the method for getting to them now.

Damn that's a dilemma, I'm really starting to enjoy the story in the area I'm in, but I'm also crazing a challenge. I just feel like I'm steam rolling everything, but there's this cult doing a dig to find some sort of Old One-esque god...

Thanks for all the advice guys, I'm really enjoying the game, can't believe how late I am getting in to it haha.

Extra gem slot? Can't believe i missed that, where is it?

Completing the legedary quest through 5.1 gives you an item that allows you to add a prismatic gem slot to any sha-touched weapon or those dropped in Throne of Thunder. I think the item is called Eye of the Black Prince?

ZenaxPure

Completing the legedary quest through 5.1 gives you an item that allows you to add a prismatic gem slot to any sha-touched weapon or those dropped in Throne of Thunder. I think the item is called Eye of the Black Prince?

Yeah, and you can buy extras from the vendor inside wrathion's inn for a measly 3k gold or so.

ZenaxPure

No wonder i didnt know about this, i havent done the 6k valor quest yet. =/

Just get 3k and you'll be fine for when 5.3 hits. I imagine if you have your sha touched gem already you should be on the road to getting 3k pretty soon.

Damn that's a dilemma, I'm really starting to enjoy the story in the area I'm in, but I'm also crazing a challenge. I just feel like I'm steam rolling everything, but there's this cult doing a dig to find some sort of Old One-esque god...

I wouldn't sweat it, the leveling experience is intentionally easy, there is a ton of challenging things to do at max level, and, hitting max level doesn't take very long (and is even faster once you have 1 max level character).

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Just get 3k and you'll be fine for when 5.3 hits. I imagine if you have your sha touched gem already you should be on the road to getting 3k pretty soon.

I wouldn't sweat it, the leveling experience is intentionally easy, there is a ton of challenging things to do at max level, and, hitting max level doesn't take very long (and is even faster once you have 1 max level character).

Lol, im not gonna stop at 3k valor then forget about my character until 5.3. I'll get that 6k sooner or later by simply doing heroics/scenarios/lfrs like always.

ZenaxPure

Lol, im not gonna stop at 3k valor then forget about my character until 5.3. I'll get that 6k sooner or later by simply doing heroics/scenarios/lfrs like always.

Well I didn't say stop ;). I am just saying at this point depending on where you are in the chain it might not be even possible to get to 6k before the patch drops.

Ok cool, I was kinda worried I'd broken the game or done something wrong somewhere. Back to questing!

Vyroxis

Banned
So I went back into WoW full steam ahead to play with some friends. Got the expansion, studied up on all the changes, grabbed some heirlooms off by bank toon and started leveling a new healer. That was a month ago.

Today, I deleted my healer and my bank toon. Why? Because fuck people who insist you do shit you hate to raid with them. I have never leveled a crafting profession in any MMO. Ever. I have always taking various gathering professions as extra income while leveling. But today I got my toon ready to raid, all my gear was enchanted and gemmed, and I was ready to go. Just for the guild leader to tear into me for not having any crafting bonuses at all, and tell me I can't raid with them until I do. And the best part was two of my friends agreeing with him, and saying I wouldn't be of any value without a couple extra measly stat points. If I had known that bullshit was going to be a requirement, I wouldn't have wasted my time and money this past month. Stupid fucking asshole bullshit. Jesus fuck I hate the min/maxing bullshit that comes with this games playerbase.

/END RANT

So I went back into WoW full steam ahead to play with some friends. Got the expansion, studied up on all the changes, grabbed some heirlooms off by bank toon and started leveling a new healer. That was a month ago.

Today, I deleted my healer and my bank toon. Why? Because fuck people who insist you do shit you hate to raid with them. I have never leveled a crafting profession in any MMO. Ever. I have always taking various gathering professions as extra income while leveling. But today I got my toon ready to raid, all my gear was enchanted and gemmed, and I was ready to go. Just for the guild leader to tear into me for not having any crafting bonuses at all, and tell me I can't raid with them until I do. And the best part was two of my friends agreeing with him, and saying I wouldn't be of any value without a couple extra measly stat points. If I had known that bullshit was going to be a requirement, I wouldn't have wasted my time and money this past month. Stupid fucking asshole bullshit. Jesus fuck I hate the min/maxing bullshit that comes with this games playerbase.

/END RANT

I know you went to play with friends but if you were enjoying playing you could have just left the guild for a friendlier one? I've done raiding off-and-on since Burning Crusade, mostly with randoms and occasionally with guilds (mine or others looking to fill a spot) and I've never once been questioned on my professions. Occasionally I've had someone get at me if I wasn't fully enchanted or gemmed up but even that's rare (I haven't enchanted every piece of gear all MoP and I still do just fine).

Now if you were in a guild that was trying to get through ToT Heroic or something I could understand a little more why they'd be so particular but the stat bonus from a profession isn't going to be enough to make or break a raid.

Tamanon

Banned
Man, the weapon is so incredibly important for Retadins. I upgraded my Lionheart to the 502 version today from the 476 and already feel much more powerful. Can't wait for 5.3 buff too!

/END RANT
Couldn't you have joined another guild? Seems like deleting your characters over that is a bit of an overreaction. Unless you were planning to do this for some time.

Tamanon

Banned
So how do you earn money in early levels ? level 20 gear and under are in 200 gold...damn, My mage only have like 3 silver coins

Don't buy anything from the AH early on, stuff on there is designed only for people who are playing their 5th or 6th character.

Otherwise, just questing and not buying gear will get you a steady stream of money. Also, Archaeology/Gathering professions are pretty good revenue streams early on.

The main way to make money in the game though is not to spend it on something that will be upgraded in a couple hours.

Vyroxis

Banned
Couldn't you have joined another guild? Seems like deleting your characters over that is a bit of an overreaction. Unless you were planning to do this for some time.

I went back to level and raid with my friends. And they won't leave the guild,as they have been in it since Wrath. So if I can't raid with them, no point in playing. And this is what happens every time I come back, some dickhead manages to make my experience in the game miserable enough to not bother. But now with all my heirlooms gone along with the giant pile of gold I had accumulated over several expansions of farming and being a cheapass, I can safely say there is no going back again.

The anchor point on this staff... -_-

wowscrnshot_050513_14maley.jpg

trying out 10 day pandaria trial, haven't played since cataclysm launch.

My EU server, Ahn'Qiraj is quiet... went on the forums. Theres a thread started near 2 years ago still getting posts in it requesting a merge. Oh dear. Be damned if I'm pay £60 to move all my chars.

ZenaxPure

But now with all my heirlooms gone along with the giant pile of gold I had accumulated over several expansions of farming and being a cheapass, I can safely say there is no going back again.

Hah, you say that, but, if that temptation seeks you again in the future, a few easy clicks Blizzard can restore your characters. I dunno though, on one hand I don't see much use in gathering professions because the lack of stat bonus and the fact that they kinda make shit gold compared to crafting professions, but, at the same time I've been in leadership positions in guilds since wrath when profession bonuses got added and I seriously couldn't give a single fuck if people have them or not. I mean, it obviously gives you an edge, but, there is like 20 other things I could have changed if I had really wanted an edge, for example, raiding more than 9 hours a week.

tl;dr, fuck 'em, guild probably isn't that good anyway.

The anchor point on this staff... -_-

That's just a Monk thing, better get used to it.

What server is everyone on now? I'm looking into getting back into this.

We're all spread out. ZenaxPure, RoninChaos, and myself just recently started doing stuff together through Real ID stuff so really any server works out. If you want a new place to start I'm on Shadowsong-US which is a bit Alliance heavy and PvE. I have my draenai shaman there. Though to be honest I'm fairly certain I'll let my subscription lapse at the end of the month for at least a month or two so I can focus more easily on some other stuff.

If you need a scroll of resurrection just let us know.

zychi

Banned
Or if you have an Android device or iPhone, just download the free one.

My issue with this is, the last time I used the ios authenticator, it couldn't sync properly. 2 days after Heart of the Swarm was released, I finally had it reset by Blizzard CS.

I just use the SMS message way now.

vilmer_

trying out 10 day pandaria trial, haven't played since cataclysm launch.

My EU server, Ahn'Qiraj is quiet... went on the forums. Theres a thread started near 2 years ago still getting posts in it requesting a merge. Oh dear. Be damned if I'm pay £60 to move all my chars.

I quit playing around the same time, came back a couple times for brief stints though. My original server Icecrown is in a very sad state nowadays compared to early Cata :(

Magnus

I've come back for a bit. Been away since December.

So much seems to have changed, again. I barely had a handle on how everything worked in 5.0, nevermind where shit is now. Plenty to read up on.

Still in heroic 5man blues and just a bare smattering of LFR Vaults epics. Gear's at iLevel 469.

I'm glad I'll get to see all the content via all the new LFR stuff that's become available over 2013 so far, but damn...bosses really do feel like loot pinatas. Starting to wonder what the point's going to be if I only plan on LFRing (and I definitely can't go back to regular Normal/Heroic raids).

I just wish solo content was more of a challenge.

I know there's awesome new challenging content for 3 and 5-man groups - heroic Scenarios, challenge mode, etc, but just getting buddies together and online these days is such a challenge. Lots of old friends and I are game, but our schedules never line up. Alas.

Tamanon

Banned
LFR gets a bit rougher after Mogu'Shan Vaults. Throne of Thunder still gives a good challenge at LFR level.

Nalak though, he is the definition of a Loot Pinata, even moreso than Galleon.

Magnus

Brawler's Guild. Especially with 20 or so new fights coming next patch, though given your ilvl I doubt you could finish the final rank before next patch.

Oh right! That hit in 5.1 or something? I do have plenty to see and catch up on...I just feel as though what I've done so far (Isle of Thunder stuff, some world bosses, LFR) has been so fucking boring and easy.

Sciz

Oh right! That hit in 5.1 or something? I do have plenty to see and catch up on...I just feel as though what I've done so far (Isle of Thunder stuff, some world bosses, LFR) has been so fucking boring and easy.

You can always go play with dinosaurs on Isle of Giants.

ZenaxPure

Oh right! That hit in 5.1 or something?

It did. You need around a 500 ilvl to meet the DPS requirements at the max rank. But, it really is a good solo challenge kind of thing, the rank 8 fights especially are really rough, less than 15 people on my medium pop server has finished all 4 of them. I actually find it fun just to go watch other people do them even if I am not in the mood to fight myself, most people are pretty friendly too and I've actually made some real ID friends hanging out down there. Love it.

Even if you don't enjoy running LFR I find the guild still gives a good reason to go each week, any extra DPS you can squeeze out goes a long way since the fights have something like 2 minute enrage timers.

RPGCrazied

LFR is stupid easy. Yes.

Yeah? But I've been reading on some of the bosses on wowhead, and it seems they can do debuffs on you that can hurt you or wipe the raid if your not close or to far from the group or boss? I've died a couple times in the vaults, just me, and it feels kind of embarrassing. lol

ZenaxPure

Yeah? But I've been reading on some of the bosses on wowhead, and it seems they can do debuffs on you that can hurt you or wipe the raid if your not close or to far from the group or boss? I've died a couple times in the vaults, just me, and it feels kind of embarrassing. lol

The only way you aren't going to die on those bosses is by getting in there and learning the fights for yourself. A video or written guide can only take you so far, those aren't bad things, but you shouldn't be worried about fucking up, that's a part of the raiding experience, LFR or not.

RPGCrazied

The only way you aren't going to die on those bosses is by getting in there and learning the fights for yourself. A video or written guide can only take you so far, those aren't bad things, but you shouldn't be worried about fucking up, that's a part of the raiding experience, LFR or not.

I guess your right. The first time I was doing the vaults, I died at the spirit kings. Flanking orders got me. Then I got one shotted at elagon. I had no idea the floor beneath you disappears. lol.

Acidote

The LFR is perfectly viable on normal mode. That's how we kill it, just make sure to have your two best healers there.

Bisnic

The last wing of ToT LFR is frustrating. Not only do I always join a group that have killed the first 2 bosses, but these groups can't even do Lei Shen properly once the 2nd phase starts. The biggest problem(I think) is how many tanks go in there and say "this is my 1st time fighting this guy". Ugh. Learn it as DPS first man, if you screw up or die, at least its not gonna fuck the rest of the group...

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I was recently lamenting the fact that there is no fairly easy to make bag with windwool, making all bags beyond 16 slotters more expensive than I would like. My 85 monk is still rocking all netherweave, for pete's sake. But then I remembered I can go solo 10man ony and sarth for a pair of 22 slot bags, and there is a 24 slot bag from a ZA quest that I would imagine is soloable at 90. So that just leaves my miserly ass with only one embersilk bag to buy.

Tamanon

Banned
I was recently lamenting the fact that there is no fairly easy to make bag with windwool, making all bags beyond 16 slotters more expensive than I would like. My 85 monk is still rocking all netherweave, for pete's sake. But then I remembered I can go solo 10man ony and sarth for a pair of 22 slot bags, and there is a 24 slot bag from a ZA quest that I would imagine is soloable at 90. So that just leaves my miserly ass with only one ebonweave bag.

And don't forget the quest in Kun-Lai for a 24-slotter.

http://www.wowhead.com/item=88397/grummlepack

Bisnic

I was recently lamenting the fact that there is no fairly easy to make bag with windwool, making all bags beyond 16 slotters more expensive than I would like. My 85 monk is still rocking all netherweave, for pete's sake. But then I remembered I can go solo 10man ony and sarth for a pair of 22 slot bags, and there is a 24 slot bag from a ZA quest that I would imagine is soloable at 90. So that just leaves my miserly ass with only one ebonweave bag.

You can get a 22-24 slots bag from a quest in Kun-Lai Summit too, the quest is near the middle of the map, although I guess you might have to do some quest chains first to unlock it.

Don't forget Forge of Souls 5 man in the Icecrown Citadel, the first boss drops a 20 slot bag on normal and 22 slots on heroic I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom