• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Wow, I had no idea about that grummlepack. I don't even have it on my 90 lock. Big ups, gaf.

I'm looking to jump back into this game now that my semester is over, and not having gotten very far into the game during my first go at it. Can someone give me a scroll of resurrection? I'd really appreciate it, just PM me please.

Tarazet

The last wing of ToT LFR is frustrating. Not only do I always join a group that have killed the first 2 bosses, but these groups can't even do Lei Shen properly once the 2nd phase starts. The biggest problem(I think) is how many tanks go in there and say "this is my 1st time fighting this guy". Ugh. Learn it as DPS first man, if you screw up or die, at least its not gonna fuck the rest of the group...

The first two bosses are faceroll easy. Lei Shen isn't, but when I ran it as a tank, I just made sure I was never between the platforms, picked up adds, and told the other tank to taunt when I had Decapitate on me.. everything went beautifully.

vilmer_

Just having a random WoW flashback here, does anyone remember the cm Katricia from the early/old WoW forums? I remember there being rumblings of her being fired but I never really knew what happened, nor did anyone else I don't think. She was like a rock in keeping the forums under control in the early days I really don't know how she did it/coped. Suddenly she was gone one day without a word of farewell. Would be interesting to see what she is up to nowadays.

Berordn

There is not from my recollection. Actually off the top of my head I can't think of any real frost inspired head pieces. Plenty of fire or arcane, but I can't think of any frost. I assume one has to exist though.

There's an old Glacial set, but most of the pieces ceased to exist once Wrath rolled around. A couple survived as 80 patterns, though.

Other than that there's the original Frostfire, but that's pretty loose.

ZenaxPure

I'm gonna say, I wish blizzard could do something about the language barrier in the game, or something else to make life easier. I was just in on a Lei Shen kill where multiple people did not speak english. Makes organizing that shit really hard since it seems a few of them were in there for their very first time. Wouldn't stand in swirls, ran around like crazy people, etc. Normally it doesn't matter in LFR but not being able to communicate with people on Lei Shen is super annoying.

Other than that there's the original Frostfire, but that's pretty loose.

Original frostfire was my first thought too, but yeah, it doesn't invoke the feeling of a frost mage that well.

cdyhybrid

I'm gonna say, I wish blizzard could do something about the language barrier in the game, or something else to make life easier. I was just in on a Lei Shen kill where multiple people did not speak english. Makes organizing that shit really hard since it seems a few of them were in there for their very first time. Wouldn't stand in swirls, ran around like crazy people, etc. Normally it doesn't matter in LFR but not being able to communicate with people on Lei Shen is super annoying.

Original frostfire was my first thought too, but yeah, it doesn't invoke the feeling of a frost mage that well.

Always fun when the Brazilians pop cooldowns and AOE down the little robots while Dark Animus is powering up.

Any Mistweavers here? Having a bit of an indecisive moment. Currently have WW as main spec, and BrM as offspec. Just finished gearing my BrM and going to start learning it. The short healer queues are very tempting though, so I'm wondering if I should have MW be one of my specs. Are MWs fun to play? Difficult? I've never healed before but I think I could figure it out. I really only tanked for a bit in Heroic dungeons in Cata with my DK, but I'm not too concerned about learning that either.

Tarazet

Always fun when the Brazilians pop cooldowns and AOE down the little robots while Dark Animus is powering up.

Any Mistweavers here? Having a bit of an indecisive moment. Currently have WW as main spec, and BrM as offspec. Just finished gearing my BrM and going to start learning it. The short healer queues are very tempting though, so I'm wondering if I should have MW be one of my specs. Are MWs fun to play? Difficult? I've never healed before but I think I could figure it out. I really only tanked for a bit in Heroic dungeons in Cata with my DK, but I'm not too concerned about learning that either.

It works like this: Drop your statue. Use Renewing Mist on cooldown, puts 3 stacks of a HoT on the target and 2 will jump to nearby players. Channel Soothing Mist on your main target and, while still channeling on that target, spend your Chi on Enveloping Mist for a strong single-target HoT, or cast Surging Mist for a big instant heal. Use Uplift to heal everyone with the RM buff on them.

It's not hard, just a little whack-a-moleish since your "smart heals" don't always behave the way you expect them to.

There's also a method that has you attacking in melee to heal through Eminence, which is nice because it is duplicated by your statue, but you have to be careful to use your actual melee abilities only to keep the necessary buffs up (from Tiger Palm and Blackout Kick), and use Expel Harm in place of a Jab whenever you can, or you blow through your mana in no time.

ZenaxPure

Without even reading it is it
about baby being crushed
?

It is, it is indeed a pretty sad story overall.
Dezco is asked by Chi-Ji to give one of his children to serve in the Golden Lotus but decides to go back to Mulgore instead to keep his family together. But, they get attacked by the invading Mogu on the way out, so the attempt to keep his family together blew up in his face resulting in the death of one of the babies.

I feel bad for Dezco, his life has pretty much been shit since he came to Pandaria. Even through the story he is depressed, he gets the back end of all the Horde politics at the Shrine and has to try to keep the turmoil inside the faction under control while they live there.

Aesthet1c

Raiding GAF! Can anyone help me out with Megaera? My guild is having issues killing her.

Here is what we have tried so far:

Three healing, killing GRGRGRG. This goes super smooth until about the 5th or 6th head, by then the damage is just way too high and our healers start going OOM.

Four healing, killing GRGRGRG. This almost seems like sixes with three healing. Now the healing is good, but because the heads are taking longer to kill, the healers are having to heal the tanks longer and resulting in about the same mana/healing problems on the 5th or 6th head.

Three healing, killing GRGBRGR. I think this one might be our safest bet. This way the blue head's damage never stacks way too high, but now our raid and healers complain about kiting the ice beam, and how it's too difficult, especially if it's a healer that we can't afford to lose for the time it takes to kite the ice beam.

Also, just to note we are managing cooldowns pretty well so we never really have problems on the rampages, it's always the tanks on the heads. All of our healers pull around 60-70k healing per second, and our dps is anywhere from 100k-150k.

What are your strategies and what have you guys found that works best? Thanks!!

Tarazet

Raiding GAF! Can anyone help me out with Megaera? My guild is having issues killing her.

Here is what we have tried so far:

Three healing, killing GRGRGRG. This goes super smooth until about the 5th or 6th head, by then the damage is just way too high and our healers start going OOM.

Four healing, killing GRGRGRG. This almost seems like sixes with three healing. Now the healing is good, but because the heads are taking longer to kill, the healers are having to heal the tanks longer and resulting in about the same mana/healing problems on the 5th or 6th head.

Three healing, killing GRGBRGR. I think this one might be our safest bet. This way the blue head's damage never stacks way too high, but now our raid and healers complain about kiting the ice beam, and how it's too difficult, especially if it's a healer that we can't afford to lose for the time it takes to kite the ice beam.

Also, just to note we are managing cooldowns pretty well so we never really have problems on the rampages, it's always the tanks on the heads. All of our healers pull around 60-70k healing per second, and our dps is anywhere from 100k-150k.

What are your strategies and what have you guys found that works best? Thanks!!

The tanks take enormous amounts of damage, but we still 3 healed it and used your first strategy for the kill. On our kill, the DK was ilv 493 and tanked blue/green, I was ilv 510 Druid tank in full Rage build and went red/blue, and I spec'd Dream of Cenarius just to boost my self-healing. I was spamming the shit out of Frenzied Regeneration, and both of us sustained 18k HPS on ourselves throughout the encounter. Almost all of the damage is elemental, so you have to make sure your tanks are adjusting accordingly and using the right abilities to mitigate the damage. A dodge/parry Paladin will have a lot of trouble dealing with the sheer amount of magic damage, but between Seal of Insight and Glyph of Battle Healer, a Haste build can put out some pretty impressive numbers with high Vengeance.

ZenaxPure

Thanks for the heads up on that story, it's definitely one of the better ones they've put up.

Apparently the previous one about the Shado-Pan (I think it's about the Shado-pan?) is pretty good too, I haven't read it myself yet, need to do that. For that matter I actually need to finish up the faction leader stories, I didn't read a couple of them, they were surprisingly awesome. I just hate reading stories from the discomfort of my computer chair.

Aesthet1c

The tanks take enormous amounts of damage, but we still 3 healed it and used your first strategy for the kill. On our kill, the DK was ilv 493 and tanked blue/green, I was ilv 510 Druid tank in full Rage build and went red/blue, and I spec'd Dream of Cenarius just to boost my self-healing. I was spamming the shit out of Frenzied Regeneration, and both of us sustained 18k HPS on ourselves throughout the encounter. Almost all of the damage is elemental, so you have to make sure your tanks are adjusting accordingly and using the right abilities to mitigate the damage. A dodge/parry Paladin will have a lot of trouble dealing with the sheer amount of magic damage, but between Seal of Insight and Glyph of Battle Healer, a Haste build can put out some pretty impressive numbers with high Vengeance.

Awesome, thanks for this!

Unfortunately I'm a warrior and can't do much outside of barrier as often as possible. I have a couple self heals but they are all on long cool downs. I'm also 510, so maybe after getting a little more gear in the raid will be what helps push us over.

Giggzy

How quickly can you obtain justice points to buy the heirloom pieces? I bought the 3 from the guild vendor, but I'd also like to chest and shoulders. Is it worth the time for the extra 20%?

Tamanon

Banned
How quickly can you obtain justice points to buy the heirloom pieces? I bought the 3 from the guild vendor, but I'd also like to chest and shoulders. Is it worth the time for the extra 20%?

It's pretty quick. To get a heirloom armor piece is usually 4 heroics, maybe 5. So I just look at it as a bonus for doing my daily heroics.

Bizazedo

Awesome, thanks for this!

Unfortunately I'm a warrior and can't do much outside of barrier as often as possible. I have a couple self heals but they are all on long cool downs. I'm also 510, so maybe after getting a little more gear in the raid will be what helps push us over.

510 should be enough.

Just focus on saving Barrier for the breath / magic style attacks (build your rage for it, I was able to pop a max Barrier and a little follow up one during it) and shield block during the melee heavy parts.

Amusingly, for our raid it wasn't the tanks taking a dive. The raid group itself was taking too much damage.

Sethos

Banned
Is it just me or are we reaching a point where there's just too many damn spells and abilities for some classes? Looking at my hotbar for some of my classes and they are filled to the brim with attacks, buffs and whatnot. Normally I'd just skip 'useless' abilities but some of these abilities are almost a requirement to have on your bar for full effectiveness.

Just levelling a Death Knight and the stuff you need in a normal rotation is just getting a bit much. Stuff like Blood Tap is a nice control but it's some of that minor crap that just feels badly implemented, constantly having the horn of winter in the rotation, diseases, pestilence and oh you might need Icy Touch instead of Howling Blast in case you don't want to aggro everything around the mob.

Oh and here's 2-3 active mitigation spells, here's TWO silences, also need death grip to pull some mobs oh and let me tell you about outbreak which is also a part of the rotation and plague leech that removes your diseases at the end of their tick so you activate a depleted rune, for maximum DPS! You can't just skip this stuff if you want to be effective, everything has its place in some situations but it's just getting out of hand.

The amount of key binds I have right now is crazy. I can barely press anything outside of my W,S,A,D that doesn't activate a spell or an attack. When I have to spend 15-20 minutes placing spells in my bar, moving around abilities, finding "accesible" hotkeys for stuff I need to press all the time, we've kind of reached a critical point.

Don't get me wrong, I love variation and I love diversity but when you have abilities that you just 'need to press' for rotation that isn't an actual attack just gets annoying. Having to constantly use Horn of Winter just to get the 10 runic or spend the blood tap charges.

Wish they would go over some of these classes with a comb, see if they can't optimize them a bit, consolidate a few things or do passive buffs instead of just hitting a key to gain X of that. My biggest nightmare is placing a talent or gaining a level that gives me an ability that requires activation and isn't a passive.

Maybe that's just me not being hardcore enough.

Bizazedo

Maybe that's just me not being hardcore enough.

I'd actually say the button bloat for some classes is fine, and that the real problem is unforgiving raid bosses where if you're not maximizing it's wipe after wipe after wipe.

I.e., being an ultimate badass doesn't make it easy, it's somewhat required. Especially if you have baddies in your guild, which most casuals do.

It varies from class to class, though.

Giggzy

I completely agree about the spell bloat. As a shaman it gets pretty ridiculous with all the totems. If it wasn't for having a razer naga then I'd be screwed. I have key binds from 1-12 on the mouse, and then ctrl and shift variants of 1-12. That's 36 key binds total which is absolutely insane. Nearly everyone is important too. That mouse has been a life saver.

Tarazet

510 should be enough.

Just focus on saving Barrier for the breath / magic style attacks (build your rage for it, I was able to pop a max Barrier and a little follow up one during it) and shield block during the melee heavy parts.

Amusingly, for our raid it wasn't the tanks taking a dive. The raid group itself was taking too much damage.

Also, if you can, pool your Rage for the beginning of each phase when the debuff from the last head is still falling off. That's when you will be taking the highest damage.

I feel like the only player these days that doesn't use additional keybinds other than 0 through 9 for abilities. And most of those (7, 8, 9, and 0) I don't even use by pressing the key because my hand would get out of place if I tried. But those also aren't abilities I need to click every fifteen seconds or less and are relegated to things like my damage mitigation abilities (as a shaman, so not super important for my role).

But yeah, it does feel like there's a bit of bloat. I'm curious how many shamans actually actively use bind elemental, or even hex for that matter. Probably normal/heroic raiders? When I try to CC at all in LFR nobody cares and just attacks the mobs anyhow.

Also, for totems I use FloTotem I believe it's called so it adds a totem action bar and I've become quite comfortable with quickly clicking the totem I need. Most are simply on timers, like searing totem, so it's easy enough to prepare for when I need to place another. The situational ones I'm fairly quick on clicking as well but generally I know most the fights going into them so again I'm ready with my mouse to click to drop a tremor or earthbind totem as needed.

So last night I jump on for the first time in a week and decide to do LFR Pinnacle because I hadn't done it yet. Was a decent run; first two bosses go down fine and we only wiped once on Lei Shen because someone started it too early and half the raid was eating and unprepared.

We lost a couple of people on Lei Shen (I admit I was one of them in the last 3% of his life - still not sure what happened) but overall got him down. The amount of anger afterwards really surprised me though. At least five people who were still alive started full on bitching about the dead and how they probably got gear and they didn't and it really just soured the mood.

I understand about being upset when you've been trying and stuff doesn't drop. I was happy to have downed him and had a fairly smooth run with my limited time on. Now I was reading that poison, and while I didn't win any gear, it still made me shake my head.

I dunno, I always just found it courteous to complain to the guild or to friends if I had runs where nothing dropped. They have your back. But to ruin someone else time because of it... blah. Hell, I have even shaken my fist at certain bosses in raid chat but I never once gotten angry at someone else because they got lucky. I guess I just wish some people were not assholes about it.

Tarazet

I feel like the only player these days that doesn't use additional keybinds other than 0 through 9 for abilities. And most of those (7, 8, 9, and 0) I don't even use by pressing the key because my hand would get out of place if I tried. But those also aren't abilities I need to click every fifteen seconds or less and are relegated to things like my damage mitigation abilities (as a shaman, so not super important for my role).

But yeah, it does feel like there's a bit of bloat. I'm curious how many shamans actually actively use bind elemental, or even hex for that matter. Probably normal/heroic raiders? When I try to CC at all in LFR nobody cares and just attacks the mobs anyhow.

Also, for totems I use FloTotem I believe it's called so it adds a totem action bar and I've become quite comfortable with quickly clicking the totem I need. Most are simply on timers, like searing totem, so it's easy enough to prepare for when I need to place another. The situational ones I'm fairly quick on clicking as well but generally I know most the fights going into them so again I'm ready with my mouse to click to drop a tremor or earthbind totem as needed.

CC, I use so infrequently that I just type /cast Hibernate because it's faster than finding the spell. The only use I've found for it was the vicious bat trash before Tortos, anyway. Druids have it a bit easier because we have different bars for each of our forms, but we still don't have enough space on those bars for each ability that might be useful.

Even within my core role, I might not press every button in every encounter. Maybe there are no interruptible spells, or I can't stun anything, or there's no melee damage so I don't use Savage Defense. But I have to make sure everything is available, so I use a lot of keybinds. I use 1-6, QERT, F, G, Z, X, C, and the F1-12 keys.

Berordn

I dunno, I always just found it courteous to complain to the guild or to friends if I had runs where nothing dropped. They have your back. But to ruin someone else time because of it... blah. Hell, I have even shaken my fist at certain bosses in raid chat but I never once gotten angry at someone else because they got lucky. I guess I just wish some people were not assholes about it.

It's like the people who encourage you to lose in battlegrounds so they can get their honor and move onto the next one. At some point most of us would've stepped back and said "If I'm not having fun just playing the game why am I still chasing that dangling carrot," but they continue to fail to make the logical connection.

The act of obtaining gear is more interesting than downing the boss or winning the match to them, I guess.

cdyhybrid

I have 1-9, Shift 1-6, Alt 1-3, Ctrl 1-3, Ctrl C X C, Alt Q W E all bound and use them fairly regularly. And I play a class with a very simple rotation.

It's like the people who encourage you to lose in battlegrounds so they can get their honor and move onto the next one. At some point most of us would've stepped back and said "If I'm not having fun just playing the game why am I still chasing that dangling carrot," but they continue to fail to make the logical connection.

The act of obtaining gear is more interesting than downing the boss or winning the match to them, I guess.

You're assuming people are always saying that even when their teammates are trying to actually win. Usually it's because half your team is just farming kills in the middle of the map the whole game and being useless. Part of the reason I don't PvP in this game anymore, it's just not worth the time.

Sciz

Is it just me or are we reaching a point where there's just too many damn spells and abilities for some classes? Looking at my hotbar for some of my classes and they are filled to the brim with attacks, buffs and whatnot.

Yes. I'm out of good keybind space on alts by the time I reach the 70s or so. The hunter I'm leveling at the moment is particularly bad about it; the class has a crazy amount of abilities, most of the talents are additional cooldowns, and god help me if I want to keybind any pet abilities as well.

I completely agree about the spell bloat. As a shaman it gets pretty ridiculous with all the totems. If it wasn't for having a razer naga then I'd be screwed. I have key binds from 1-12 on the mouse, and then ctrl and shift variants of 1-12. That's 36 key binds total which is absolutely insane. Nearly everyone is important too. That mouse has been a life saver.

I have one of those. How do I set up the shift key binds? 12 buttons isn't enough. I click on my second hot bar, but I'd like to key them to the mouse if I could.

We're all spread out. ZenaxPure, RoninChaos, and myself just recently started doing stuff together through Real ID stuff so really any server works out. If you want a new place to start I'm on Shadowsong-US which is a bit Alliance heavy and PvE. I have my draenai shaman there. Though to be honest I'm fairly certain I'll let my subscription lapse at the end of the month for at least a month or two so I can focus more easily on some other stuff.

If you need a scroll of resurrection just let us know.

Speaking of which, I'll be down to do some stuff this weekend. I have a work conference I'm attending from wednesday-friday so I can't do anything until friday or saturday. But I'll make sure I'm available at some point on the weekend so we can finish your ICC achievements.

Speaking of which, I'll be down to do some stuff this weekend. I have a work conference I'm attending from wednesday-friday so I can't do anything until friday or saturday. But I'll make sure I'm available at some point on the weekend so we can finish your ICC achievements.

We'll see. Friday I confirmed raiding with my guild but I'm a new member so I imagine if ten regulars show up I'll be on the sidelines and will be free. As for the weekend, really just depends on plans with the girlfriend. I'm probably free, since I believe she's working this weekend, but I'll know for sure a little later. Also, got a few big improvements on resto gear so that healing boss should probably be no issue. Also, figured out one more thing I was doing incorrectly, I believe, so my healing rotation got a little smoother.

That awesome feeling when a boss drops you loot in LFR for the first time after weeks and out of the two items he can drop you it's the one you don't want =/

Naka

Giggzy

I have one of those. How do I set up the shift key binds? 12 buttons isn't enough. I click on my second hot bar, but I'd like to key them to the mouse if I could.

Go into the key binding menu and scroll down to whichever action bar you're wanting to set binds on. When inserting the key to bind just hold shift and click 1 on the mouse. It should set the bind to shift-1 for that slot. Then proceed to do the rest of them the same way but just adding a different number in.

We'll see. Friday I confirmed raiding with my guild but I'm a new member so I imagine if ten regulars show up I'll be on the sidelines and will be free. As for the weekend, really just depends on plans with the girlfriend. I'm probably free, since I believe she's working this weekend, but I'll know for sure a little later. Also, got a few big improvements on resto gear so that healing boss should probably be no issue. Also, figured out one more thing I was doing incorrectly, I believe, so my healing rotation got a little smoother.

Okay, cool. We will make it happen. :)

That awesome feeling when a boss drops you loot in LFR for the first time after weeks and out of the two items he can drop you it's the one you don't want =/

This was on my DK. I just want to follow up with my warlock too, though.

cryeaxq5.jpg

/wrists

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

That's me and the healing shield that Tortos can drop. He can drop like 4 items for my class/spec, and the shield is the only upgrade for me. Of course, I got everything except this so far.

I hate RNG sometimes... On one side I have a bunch of LFR items at lvl 483/502, a bunch of items at 496/522 bought with VP. And on the other... a shield and shoulders at 463 and its been like that since last year.

Tarazet

That's me and the healing shield that Tortos can drop. He can drop like 4 items for my class/spec, and the shield is the only upgrade for me. Of course, I got everything except this so far.

I hate RNG sometimes... On one side I have a bunch of LFR items at lvl 483/502, a bunch of items at 496/522 bought with VP. And on the other... a shield and shoulders at 463 and its been like that since last year.

I have yet to get a belt to drop from any LFR, oddly. If it wasn't for the Dominance Offensive piece (and soon the SPA piece), it would still be a blue. But I've gotten at least 12 necks and 10 bracers. As for normal modes, Jin'rokh has dropped the Exp/Agi trinket for us 3/5 times. I got it on a bonus roll and no one else in our group wears Agility gear.

Berordn

You're assuming people are always saying that even when their teammates are trying to actually win. Usually it's because half your team is just farming kills in the middle of the map the whole game and being useless. Part of the reason I don't PvP in this game anymore, it's just not worth the time.

I'm talking about the ones who do it from the start of the match because "Alliance never wins WSG." Stupid teammates are their own issue, but people encouraging you not to do anything is frighteningly common now.

ZenaxPure

Go into the key binding menu and scroll down to whichever action bar you're wanting to set binds on. When inserting the key to bind just hold shift and click 1 on the mouse. It should set the bind to shift-1 for that slot. Then proceed to do the rest of them the same way but just adding a different number in.

I hate the default method of changing keybindings. Honestly Blizzard should change their whole action bar system so it isn't garbage. But in the mean time I wish more people would use some sort of bar addon, I use Dominos myself but I'm pretty sure most bar addons work the same way nowadays. The ability to just open a menu called keybindings and then actually move your cursor over the ability and set whatever binding you want to it is absolutely god send, one of those things I don't think I could live without.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom