• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Entropia

No One Remembers
I'm up to a point where I only do dailies to get 50 lesser charms and never touch them for the rest of the week. There's no point in continuing to do dailies when you're exalted and have enough gold. 2000-3100 lesser charms? Damn. Aren't you getting tired of doing those ToT dailies?

Seriously.

I had a stockpile of a few hundred at the start of the expansion. As I got through the factions and didn't need to do dailies my supply slowly dwindled. Hell I went a couple weeks without Mogu Runes as a result.

Bizazedo

I'm up to a point where I only do dailies to get 50 lesser charms and never touch them for the rest of the week. There's no point in continuing to do dailies when you're exalted and have enough gold. 2000-3100 lesser charms? Damn. Aren't you getting tired of doing those ToT dailies?

I don't do as many as I used to, but, PvP dailies on Isle (Conquest points in case I'm feeling RBG-lazy later in the week) and the sunreaver bounty (lazy way to get Great Banquets) + I usually bang out the Golden Lotus ones when waiting for an LFR or BG queue to pop (always hoping for Skyshards).

If I'm still waiting and the White Tiger dailies are up, those are lightning quick.

That's mostly it. Well, lies, I did do all of the Klaxxi one day last week again to help push the new guild I'm in to level 15.

Additionally, with how much better our gear is now, you can shred them easily and quickly. That + low pop server means the PvP dailies I've done in as little as 7 minutes.

And there's never enough gold. I got into a bidding war (and lost) for Dreadnaught shoulders a few weeks ago, capped out at 110k before I said screw it and went to bed.

Never enough.

RPGCrazied

Encourage me to do heart of fear. I really don't want to wipe the raid. Do I read right some bosses can debuff you, and if you are close to the group you hurt them? Ugh, my sha touched weapon is in there.

Plus I'm still on the first quest from wraithon. I only have 5 power sigils and 1 wisdom.

Berordn

Encourage me to do heart of fear. I really don't want to wipe the raid. Do I read right some bosses can debuff you, and if you are close to the group you hurt them? Ugh, my sha touched weapon is in there.

Plus I'm still on the first quest from wraithon. I only have 5 power sigils and 1 wisdom.

The LFR versions of those instagib mechanics are neutered to the point of triviality or nonexistent. The fact that you know to be looking out for that already makes you a better raider than most of the people in it.

RPGCrazied

The LFR versions of those instagib mechanics are neutered to the point of triviality or nonexistent. The fact that you know to be looking out for that already makes you a better raider than most of the people in it.

Oh ok. I already have everything from the vaults. Except my wrist armor from spirit kings, but he doesn't want to give those up.

cdyhybrid

I do a bunch of dailies because I'm poor :p Mainly Shado-Pan (for the Shado-Master title) and Isle of Thunder for keys/Elder Charms.

Guess it's time to start saving Valor, going to upgrade my Weapons and Rune of Re-Origination first.

I wonder if
Sha of Pride
will be 5.4 or 5.5? I know it gets introduced in 5.3.

Berordn

I do a bunch of dailies because I'm poor :p Mainly Shado-Pan (for the Shado-Master title) and Isle of Thunder for keys/Elder Charms.

Guess it's time to start saving Valor, going to upgrade my Weapons and Rune of Re-Origination first.

I wonder if
Sha of Pride
will be 5.4 or 5.5? I know it gets introduced in 5.3.

The implication seems to be that it's the one that's influencing Garrosh and will die in 5.4, and with all seven Sha dead that lead to a resurgence of someone else.

'They do not die; they do not live. They are outside the cycle.'

Oh ok. I already have everything from the vaults. Except my wrist armor from spirit kings, but he doesn't want to give those up.

Some quick tips for you for HoF. I'm going to assume you're a dps? These should get you through everything without worrying about every single mechanic:

First boss - Nothing special. When he shoots out spiraling light disc things try to circle around him to not be hit. They won't instant kill you but it'll be nicer to the healers.

Second boss - When he disappears and targets someone stack on that person.

Third boss (Garalon) - For the love of god don't go underneath him into the purple circle and be bad. Try to get into the smaller dotted circles around the legs and destroy each leg each time you can. Otherwise attack the body if all legs are destroyed.

Fourth boss - Not much to know as dps. I prefer to kill menders first but some LFR groups change it up. Aim to follow the group. Click on amber trapped people if near you.

Fifth boss - Attack in this order: Mutated construct during phase one and two (these are other raiders turned into larger orange monsters), Giant orange construct thing (this is phase two), the boss (phase one when no mutated constructs and all of phase three when he teleports to the center of the room). If you get mutated yourself attack the boss in phase 1 and 3 and press your "2" button when it auto-casts some ability. You have a few seconds to hit the button to stop it. Again, won't wipe the raid but will ease things and less children will get angry. Always be attacking the boss or the giant construct if you're mutated. During phase three, if mutated, that's when you use your last ability to soak up the pools that have formed.

Sixth boss - Nothing too crazy for dps, honestly.

The fifth boss is definitely the hardest mechanic wise. Just know your target priority to be helpful as most ignore it. If you get mutated that can stress a new player out but it's not bad. Again, know the priority and stop your explosion cast with the "2" key as it's casting. Don't drink the pools in phase one or two and hope others are attacking you as they should be so you can break free from the construct.

I like the first wing of HoF and the second wing is kind of boring as only one boss has any actual skill to it and the other two are just dps pinatas. Hopefully these help. They have a lot of mechanics listed in the dungeon journal but most you really don't even need to think about in LFR. In normal you'd want to know how to handle them better but I wouldn't stress it in LFR. Nobody else does.

cdyhybrid

The implication seems to be that it's the one that's influencing Garrosh and will die in 5.4, and with all seven Sha dead that lead to a resurgence of someone else.

'They do not die; they do not live. They are outside the cycle.'

I'd imagine it will be involved with the Garrosh raid.

Garrosh is too poorly designed to be a good victim for that. Depictions of that cardinal sin in media and stuff are usually more complicated than "I'm a raging asshole" :p

See: The haemonculus Pride in FMA or something.

Berordn

Garrosh is too poorly designed to be a good victim for that. Depictions of that cardinal sin in media and stuff are usually more complicated than "I'm a raging asshole" :p

See: The haemonculus Pride in FMA or something.

Nobody said anything about him being a victim. All we know for certain is that he's interested in Y'shaarj which leads to his destruction of the vale to find its dark heart for the purposes of empowering himself.

iboh

Banned
The problem is he is not saying his opinion, he is simply stating facts.

Like I said before, its your opinion, what he is stating is not facts. Its perception. Thats fine if you all like it. Someone asked how the expansion was, I gave my opinion/2 cents worth. I think its mediocre. The game HAS been dumbed down, and I personally dont find it fun, and this is coming from someone who had done just about everything in game before, who had raided with some of the best guilds in the game, and on servers. If it suits you? Great! But I think its their third best expansion, and its not even close.

Berordn

Like I said before, its your opinion, what he is stating is not facts. Its perception. Thats fine if you all like it. Someone asked how the expansion was, I gave my opinion/2 cents worth. I think its mediocre. The game HAS been dumbed down, and I personally dont find it fun, and this is coming from someone who had done just about everything in game before, who had raided with some of the best guilds in the game, and on servers. If it suits you? Great! But I think its their third best expansion, and its not even close.

Except no, the fact remains that everything you listed is pretty much factually inaccurate. You're free to feel the game is mediocre (though why you'd make a point of arguing that in a thread of people who actively play the game continues to baffle me), but much of what you listed is just wrong.

You can't really claim the the game has dumbed down or lacks community because of LFR and then ignore the higher difficulty of normal modes and the continued rising difficulty of heroic, especially when it took more than a month for the current tier's world first race to finish. You also can't claim that certain facets of the game are mandatory and inherently unfun and then claim that they're unrewarding and optional in the same sentence.

You're of course free to disagree that the game is fun or interesting, but just because you no longer feel the drive to tackle harder content or play with a group you cannot actually claim that the game is "dumbed down" because a watered down version of the actual content is available to the lowest common denominator. There is no "perception" to the claim that they develop the game in a way that fosters group and community play - they've outright stated that all the changes to guilds and raiding have been done to encourage that, and everything else is to just throw a bone to the occasional solo players.

Sciz

I think its mediocre. The game HAS been dumbed down, and I personally dont find it fun, and this is coming from someone who had done just about everything in game before, who had raided with some of the best guilds in the game, and on servers. If it suits you? Great! But I think its their third best expansion, and its not even close.

It just comes off as odd that you put Wrath and BC on a pedestal and criticize MoP for heroic modes/dailies/point grinding, when all three of those are conceits that were introduced in Wrath and BC to begin with. From a mechanical standpoint there isn't much different between them. The slow death of the server community I can give you, maybe.

Bizazedo

It just comes off as odd that you put Wrath and BC on a pedestal and criticize MoP for heroic modes/dailies/point grinding, when all three of those are conceits that were introduced in Wrath and BC to begin with. From a mechanical standpoint there isn't much different between them. The slow death of the server community I can give you, maybe.

Pretty much.

I mean, don't get me wrong, there are valid arguments in WoW. Go back several pages and you might even come across some.

Berordn is right, though, in that a lot of your specific arguments, iboh, are just not true. And that's coming from someone who has a personal dislike of Challenge Dungeons (only due to the speed run nature of them. I prefer the challenge to come in just finishing something, like lower BRS 5 man back in "the day").

Despite my personal disdain for them, they're not easy and they take planning and preparation. They're definitely a challenge.

Getting to the highest brackets of an RBG is also not easy. Nor are Arenas.

As for communities....that was always overblown. At least if you were in a good guild. Once you get into a good guild, you more often than not begin to dislike the people on your side.

cdyhybrid

WoW's community aspect was never going to match, say, Everquest's, when they decided to go with a quest-based model rather than a camp-and-grind-mobs model for leveling. Natural improvements in technology and "quality-of-life" also diminished that sense of community, much like technology in real life.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
WoW's community aspect was never going to match, say, Everquest's, when they decided to go with a quest-based model rather than a camp-and-grind-mobs model for leveling. Natural improvements in technology and "quality-of-life" also diminished that sense of community, much like technology in real life.

Its hilarious when they try and take those things away.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I honestly kind of wish WoW would just go away and something else would take its place with regards to the other people playing it.

I'm just tired of the World of Warcraft. The expansions are cool and all, but its like 5 zones to spend 2 years in.

Bizazedo

I honestly kind of wish WoW would just go away and something else would take its place with regards to the other people playing it.

I'm just tired of the World of Warcraft. The expansions are cool and all, but its like 5 zones to spend 2 years in.

Agreed, I just think ..... I don't know if it's possible.

Vanilla WoW was at the perfect time and (almost) the perfect difficulty level. It had the crush of EQ / UO / etc gamers coming in as it was the new hot shit, Everquest was crashing under the badness that was..GoD? I can't remember, but it was bad. So people had the perfect time to explore something new.

And it brought in Blizzard fans into a game far more accessible than the prior MMO's with actual difficulty that made certain things an accomplishment.

Problem now is, the current WoW is nothing like the old WoW and a lot of the oldtimers don't play anymore, either because of the dreaded "real life" or they don't like the direction WoW took. WoW has evolved and the current audience might actually hate vanilla WoW (even me, who loved it, but might not again due to real life).

Either way, that means if someone clones current era WoW, an oldtimer who preferred the immersion (difficulty provokes arguments among you guys) of the old might be uninterested. They aren't even vested in it which might be the only thing keeping them NOW. If the real life excuse got them, they won't have time for it.

Anyone loving the current difficulty and conveniences isn't going to go for a vanilla style WoW game because it's too hard, both by intention and by design. It's to limit the impact of "That person is better than you" and "Even Little Timmy can play".

(Think about it, a lot of the difficult challenges in-game might as well be a sectioned off part of the game only certain kids get to see in the current expansion and it doesn't matter. Even things as small as transmog and LFR / Normals just being re-colored gear reduce the impact of the new gear e-peen status. Add in PvP Resilience and Power and their impact is limited even there).

Finally, to get a game to as polished a point as WoW now? A kajillion dollars. Not possible. And even though it's not possible and most would agree it's not, it'd still be unfairly judged versus WoW.

strafer

How can you say that.

You're breaking my heart.

Berordn

How can you say that.

You're breaking my heart.

I don't completely disagree. I would've liked it if I could've moved onto say, ToR back when it launched and still have my guild and people to raid with, but shortcomings in the game itself and the fact that WoW still exists kept that from happening.

RPGCrazied

Some quick tips for you for HoF. I'm going to assume you're a dps? These should get you through everything without worrying about every single mechanic:

First boss - Nothing special. When he shoots out spiraling light disc things try to circle around him to not be hit. They won't instant kill you but it'll be nicer to the healers.

Second boss - When he disappears and targets someone stack on that person.

Third boss (Garalon) - For the love of god don't go underneath him into the purple circle and be bad. Try to get into the smaller dotted circles around the legs and destroy each leg each time you can. Otherwise attack the body if all legs are destroyed.

Fourth boss - Not much to know as dps. I prefer to kill menders first but some LFR groups change it up. Aim to follow the group. Click on amber trapped people if near you.

Fifth boss - Attack in this order: Mutated construct during phase one and two (these are other raiders turned into larger orange monsters), Giant orange construct thing (this is phase two), the boss (phase one when no mutated constructs and all of phase three when he teleports to the center of the room). If you get mutated yourself attack the boss in phase 1 and 3 and press your "2" button when it auto-casts some ability. You have a few seconds to hit the button to stop it. Again, won't wipe the raid but will ease things and less children will get angry. Always be attacking the boss or the giant construct if you're mutated. During phase three, if mutated, that's when you use your last ability to soak up the pools that have formed.

Sixth boss - Nothing too crazy for dps, honestly.

The fifth boss is definitely the hardest mechanic wise. Just know your target priority to be helpful as most ignore it. If you get mutated that can stress a new player out but it's not bad. Again, know the priority and stop your explosion cast with the "2" key as it's casting. Don't drink the pools in phase one or two and hope others are attacking you as they should be so you can break free from the construct.

I like the first wing of HoF and the second wing is kind of boring as only one boss has any actual skill to it and the other two are just dps pinatas. Hopefully these help. They have a lot of mechanics listed in the dungeon journal but most you really don't even need to think about in LFR. In normal you'd want to know how to handle them better but I wouldn't stress it in LFR. Nobody else does.

Thanks man. I went ahead an sucked it up. First boss is kinda easy, but I died when he had like 2% health, attunement got me. Though I did good on the other platforms. 2nd boss I didn't die at all. The only thing I had a problem with was the running down the hall of tornadoes, but I have an advantage, cloak of shadows and sprint helped ease this. 3rd boss I didn't die, but was having a hard time which leg to attack, and which circle not to enter. I made it clear not to get in the big purple one. Can you get in the dotted circle one? Or avoid all circles?

Didn't get a single item, had no charms, so I guess all I got was gold. Yay? You can rerun it even after you kill bosses for gear right? It only matters if you get something, then its like a week wait from that boss?

Bizazedo

Didn't get a single item, had no charms, so I guess all I got was gold. Yay? You can rerun it even after you kill bosses for gear right? It only matters if you get something, then its like a week wait from that boss?

You can spend coins on every kill (for dungeon raid kills, not world bosses), but without using a coin you only get one chance a week per boss.

Also, you should never expect an item every LFR run. To the dark side does that path lead.

TheYanger

I don't completely disagree. I would've liked it if I could've moved onto say, ToR back when it launched and still have my guild and people to raid with, but shortcomings in the game itself and the fact that WoW still exists kept that from happening.

Right, when it comes right down to it, WoW is still more fun than other MMOs. It shouldn't be that hard to make a better game these days, but clearly it is proving to be. I love the 'new' experiences with a new game, but every mmo that comes out now is just far too shallow and shitty once you get far enough. That's the real issue with most of them, lack of depth. I had a ton of fun in ToR until the cap...then there was NOTHING to do worth a damn. WoW was pretty broken at max level at release, but it still had a shitload of things to do and it took time to do them compared to what we get now. People can bitch about wow being too casual friendly or easy or whatever, but when I sit back and don't push so hard, I just find a huge wealth of options on how I can spend an evening, and unless I make it awful for myself it can be relaxing and rewarding to do almost all of them.

RPGCrazied

You can spend coins on every kill (for dungeon raid kills, not world bosses), but without using a coin you only get one chance a week per boss.

Also, you should never expect an item every LFR run. To the dark side does that path lead.

Even if you don't get anything? That's kinda lame. And teh fact you can't use lesser charms for elder charms anymore. I have like 700 lesser right now.

Tamanon

Banned
Go to the Isle of Thunder, easy to get Elder Charms there. Especially on the treasure run you can get from the Key to the Palace of Lei Shen each week.

cdyhybrid

I would have agreed with you in Cata, but MoP has fixed a lot of the reasons I wasn't enjoying the game anymore.

Even if you don't get anything? That's kinda lame. And teh fact you can't use lesser charms for elder charms anymore. I have like 700 lesser right now.

5.3 is putting in protection against unlucky loot streaks. The longer you go without an item drop in LFR, the more likely you are to get one.

Zertez

Uh, in LFR rolls are not tied to any set number like normal raid bosses. In theory all 25 people can receive an item from a boss kill in LFR. And even further into crazy theory town if 25 people all use an extra roll everyone can get 2 items off 1 boss kill so 50 items total.

You use it, and an item will just drop into your inventory. You don't roll against anyone else.

Thanks for the replies, that sounds crazy considering how tough attaining gear in mmo's use to be. I still have nightmares over rare drops in EQ and losing out on rolls or dkp. A short followup question, is the item that you get automatically come from a random table or is the item geared for your class or caster in the case of a warlock? For example as a Warlock, is the item that is given to you a piece of cloth gear or do you have a chance of getting plate armor or warrior weapons?

Berordn

Thanks for the replies, that sounds crazy considering how tough attaining gear in mmo's use to be. I still have nightmares over rare drops in EQ and losing out on rolls or dkp. A short followup question, is the item that you get automatically come from a random table or is the item geared for your class or caster in the case of a warlock? For example as a Warlock, is the item that is given to you a piece of cloth gear or do you have a chance of getting plate armor or warrior weapons?

It will only ever be a piece of gear you can use. As a warlock you'd only be getting standard Int and Int/Hit cloth, as well as DPS trinkets and weapons.

RPGCrazied

Also, in LFR, why in general is everyone an asshole? lol, one of the times I died nobody would res me, and I had to run back. Really? Takes 5 secs to res someone.

Thanks man. I went ahead an sucked it up. First boss is kinda easy, but I died when he had like 2% health, attunement got me. Though I did good on the other platforms. 2nd boss I didn't die at all. The only thing I had a problem with was the running down the hall of tornadoes, but I have an advantage, cloak of shadows and sprint helped ease this. 3rd boss I didn't die, but was having a hard time which leg to attack, and which circle not to enter. I made it clear not to get in the big purple one. Can you get in the dotted circle one? Or avoid all circles?

Add me on Real ID and I'll run with you on the raids you haven't tried and help explain the fights as you go. I could use the valor so not a big deal for me to run them. My real ID is LordWibble#1924

And on Garalon you can enter the circles around his legs and you'll want to do that because you do more damage. I can't recall what the buff is but it's something like 50% more damage or maybe even 100%. As melee it's fairly easy for me but for ranged I can imagine that gets annoying. The only circle you stay out of is the large, purple one under him.

ZenaxPure

I'm still not terribly convinced that we won't be seeing Y'shaarj this expansion...

I actually assume he'll be the final boss with Garrosh being the next to last boss, or perhaps they will be one in the same.

I haven't really done ToT dailies since our server got done (though I was doing them up until that point). Most of my charms currently come from Lotus and 5.1 dailies. I do Lotus because I still need like 3 skyshards now to get Alani, and I do 5.1 stuff because I need a few hundred more commissions to get my rat crate for the pet. Technically I could just mindlessly grind both of those things out if I wanted, but that would be boring and why not also get charms and VP while I work towards those things?

The best part of the Golden Lotus ones is that there is no limit to how many Skyshards you can have so I will probably just continue doing Lotus for the rest of the expansion, I assume by the end I will be able to sell a few Alanis and make some nice gold off of it. I know on my server at least Alani usually sells for tens of thousands of gold.

ZenaxPure

Pretty sure the limit to skyshards is 0 since I'm fairly certain they don't exist.

Haha, they are some really fucking random items I will give you that. I haven't seen a single one in about a week, but, 2 weeks ago I got 2 in the same day. I think the majority of mine has actually came from the treasure chest at the end of the lotus dailies.

Berordn

Pretty sure the limit to skyshards is 0 since I'm fairly certain they don't exist.

I got four in the first month of MoP and I haven't seen one since. I still run Lotus dailies at least once a week for the lesser charms with how easy they are to blow through now, and I haven't seen one drop in months.

Alex

Right, when it comes right down to it, WoW is still more fun than other MMOs. It shouldn't be that hard to make a better game these days, but clearly it is proving to be. I love the 'new' experiences with a new game, but every mmo that comes out now is just far too shallow and shitty once you get far enough. That's the real issue with most of them, lack of depth. I had a ton of fun in ToR until the cap...then there was NOTHING to do worth a damn. WoW was pretty broken at max level at release, but it still had a shitload of things to do and it took time to do them compared to what we get now. People can bitch about wow being too casual friendly or easy or whatever, but when I sit back and don't push so hard, I just find a huge wealth of options on how I can spend an evening, and unless I make it awful for myself it can be relaxing and rewarding to do almost all of them.

I doubt I'll ever have much of a stint in WoW again (I admit LFR and Daily Quests are the major avenues I dislike in the modern game, as well), but this is very true. Any new MMO that comes out is, at best, an amusing run to the cap but none of them have the depth or design on any level to possess any staying power.

Lookin' towards FFXIV 2.0 next, seems like it's been retrofitted to be a complete WoW clone, and I assume it'll be fun until cap then I'll never touch it again. No one in the genre wants to experiment, they just want to imitate then take meek swings at the crown. It's an amusing state for the genre considering the WoW-method is by far the most expensive and update demanding model.

Right now, only Titan and EQ Next seem like they could be appealing, longer term MMOs in the future. Never actually been a fan of EQ, but man, it's nice just to see the word sandbox in an MMO article again. You'd figure with some of these modern successes in gaming sandbox MMOs would have had at least a minor comeback by now.

cdyhybrid

I doubt I'll ever have much of a stint in WoW again (I admit LFR and Daily Quests are the major avenues I dislike in the modern game, as well), but this is very true. Any new MMO that comes out is, at best, an amusing run to the cap but none of them have the depth or design on any level to possess any staying power.

Lookin' towards FFXIV 2.0 next, seems like it's been retrofitted to be a complete WoW clone, and I assume it'll be fun until cap then I'll never touch it again. No one in the genre wants to experiment, they just want to imitate then take meek swings at the crown. It's an amusing state for the genre considering the WoW-method is by far the most expensive and update demanding model.

Right now, only Titan and EQ Next seem like they could be appealing, longer term MMOs in the future. Never actually been a fan of EQ, but man, it's nice just to see the word sandbox in an MMO article again. You'd figure with some of these modern successes in gaming sandbox MMOs would have had at least a minor comeback by now.

EQ is probably one of my most fondly remembered games, but I've accepted that that experience will probably never be possible again. WoW will be the last MMO I play. If they keep doing things the right way like they have been with this expansion, I'll keep playing. Otherwise, I'll just quit. Only way I could even consider getting back into another one is if it's got monster resources behind it and it's based on an IP I'm interested in. Say, World of Starcraft or something. But I'd have to love the IP and the game would have to have the polish/depth/design quality of WoW.

I was in the same boat, my main only had 1. But, when they made the shards BoA I had enough on other characters to boost me up to 5 so I decided to actually start trying for it again.

I've pretty much given up on the alt thing for now. Barely have enough time to get enough done every week on my main.

ZenaxPure

I've pretty much given up on the alt thing for now. Barely have enough time to get enough done every week on my main.

Well, actually, most of the shards on my alts just came from killing random shit in the Vale, wasn't even doing the dailies. It worked out nicely.

In general though I only play alts when I want something a little different than my main. Typically (and this is ESPECIALLY true in MoP) at the start of a patch all I play is my rogue, but, as time goes on and I do everything I want in a patch I will start spending more time on an alt than I do on my rogue (or go play something else entirely different, which is what I'm about to do when Sleepy Dogs gets done downloading from PSN!). As of late that has been my DK, even decided to go through the Brawler's Guild with him! Was pretty fun getting up to rank 8 on a different character, especially a class I know so little about, I've learned a lot through it!

Number one thing I learned, fuck death pact when you are doing hard solo stuff as DPS, Death Siphon is the shit.

Zertez

It will only ever be a piece of gear you can use. As a warlock you'd only be getting standard Int and Int/Hit cloth, as well as DPS trinkets and weapons.
Thanks for the reply. It seems like a good system, but figured there had to be some catch like you had a chance to get something you cant use. It almost seems too easy to gear up, but Im use to the old way of spending months raiding to gear up, so this seemed to be to good to be true. It sounds like a nice system to gear up pretty quickly to handle the newest raids/dungeons.

The elitist in me feels like this is too easy for people to get great gear, on the other hand it was sad to watch great dungeons with many fun encounters stay out of reach for 90 percent of the fanbase like in EQ. Many high end dungeons were only cleared by very few and then sat empty as the next dungeon was released. It is poor design when your best content is out of reach by the majority of the players.

As Ive gotten older I think everyone should get a chance to see the best dungeons and experience the fights while they are still relevant and not out of date. For example in EQ the North Wing in Temple of Veeshan or Naxx when it was first released was accessible to a small percentage of players. Both dungeons had fun encounters and fights, but the first few encounters were a gear/raid check and most never got past them to see the cool stuff.

Im sure some of the high end raiding guilds were upset with some of these changes, but it makes little business sense to spend a lot of resources on content for a very small fraction of your fanbase. If opening the content to more people was necessary to justify spending the resources on new raiding dungeons, Im ok with it. Im sure they have heroic versions that are more difficult and offer better versions of loot and probably unique mounts, so high end guild can still feel elite or get rewarded for beating the toughest encounters.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Even if it feels like its too easy to get gear with the new system, it can still take weeks/months before you get the drop you want from a LFR raid. If a boss drops cloth bracer, cloth helm and gloves and you only need the bracers, you might still get the other drops again and again or just gold if you're unlucky. For example, I've been trying to get epic shoulders and shield for my holy paladin since last year... and no luck yet. If you don't get loot, you get something like 28 gold.

ZenaxPure

Well, the thing you have to keep in mind is that the gear is actually significantly worse than what you can get if you are part of a guild that does hard modes (or even normal modes). By default the heroic gear this tier is 33 item levels higher than the gear you can get from the LFR version of the same raid. To make things even crazier the items in Normal and Heroic have a chance to be "thunderforged" when they drop which means they have an even higher item level, 39 item levels higher to be exact for the heroic gear.

The stuff that drops in the most recent tier of LFR is worse than what you can even get in the previous tier on heroic mode (those items were ilvl 509, 7 ilvls higher than current tier LFR loot). So, in reality even though LFR gear is better than just plain old blues if you group with someone in full heroic gear (and you know they don't suck at the game) they will completely destroy you at healing/dps/survivability, you won't really even be close to their output. To clarify that, the difference between people in full heroic gear and people in LFR gear is pretty much the difference of people in MC gear compared to people stuck in their blues in Vanilla. The concept is exactly the same, it's just coloring of the loot has shifted to tags on the loot (LFR has the shame tag of "Raid Finder" while heroic gear has the tag "Heroic" on all the items).

As for the speed of it all, Blizzard thought ahead on that and when the newest raid tier came out they did something like double the drop rate of the gear in the previous tier, and, made it so you have nearly endless Elder Charms so you can keep doing those bonus rolls. It's worth noting if you didn't realize (may as well point it out since plenty of people don't seem to know) that even though you only get chance at loot once per week, if you do the raid again you can still use the bonus rolls, which means for the previous tier of content it's pretty realistic that you can have a full set of gear within a week if you sink the time into it. But, if you go into the current tier you will see significantly lower drop rates, your speed to get gear will be about on par with what it would be if you were just doing normal raiding. Of course there are the extremely unlucky people who go weeks and weeks without seeing a new item, but, blizz is adding RNG protection in the new patch so the longer you go without getting something the better your chances will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom