• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's nothing stopping ranged getting the buff too. Everyone who isn't kiting should be using it.

Yeah, one person in Vent suggested that the range try to stay in one of the circles but then there were complaints that they're more efficient by not having to run around everywhere. I was easily double their DPS, though, so they should probably consider changing things up.

But I was top DPS in there anyhow, even without the double DPS buff the legs gave me.

Acidote

Whole raid cleared one more week, and finally, after two patches and endless raid and LFR runs... a weapon dropped! Just need one more. Although the 12 bosses only dropped one secret of the empire again, 7 weeks to go.

TheYanger

Keep in mind legs are finite, so it's better to only 'cleave' legs and dps the body itself (Cleaving legs while being in circles obviously is ideal), the only exception is: At the start when all four are up, and any other time there is danger of all four being up at once. You're losing free damage any time he's not regenerating a leg, and similarly you're losing free damage if you keep all of the legs dead all of the time. Efficiency is key to actually making the most of the leg buff.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I did Garalon yesterday, and I think people must have stepped into his purple ring at least 15 times during the fight.

Can't believe people still don't get this fight after so many months. Maybe they would get it if stepping only once in the ring was a guaranteed death for them alone. Or maybe not.

Tarazet

I did Garalon yesterday, and I think people must have stepped into his purple ring at least 15 times during the fight.

Can't believe people still don't get this fight after so many months. Maybe they would get it if stepping only once in the ring was a guaranteed death for them alone. Or maybe not.

It is if they are still in the ring when he Crushes.

Tarazet

Keep in mind legs are finite, so it's better to only 'cleave' legs and dps the body itself (Cleaving legs while being in circles obviously is ideal), the only exception is: At the start when all four are up, and any other time there is danger of all four being up at once. You're losing free damage any time he's not regenerating a leg, and similarly you're losing free damage if you keep all of the legs dead all of the time. Efficiency is key to actually making the most of the leg buff.

In essence, you need just enough DPS on the leg to ensure there is exactly one up at a time, and it should always be players who can stand in the blue circle. Any DPS beyond that is better spent on Garalon.

strafer

I don't care what anybody says, I want them to reintroduce Class Quests.

Quests to get your Warlock minions.
Dreadsteed Quest.

Benediction for Priests.

I want them all.

If people don't wanna do them then don't, but I want.

Berordn

Dreadsteed Quest.

Benediction for Priests.

I want them all.

Yeah, I still don't get why they were all outright removed. Most of the instances and objects relating to them still exist in the world.

Dreadsteed Quest.

Benediction for Priests.

I want them all.

I agree, though I fully understand their issue in labor costs vs. game reward since that means there's a segment of the team creating content that only a subset of one class is able to actually enjoy. How many warlocks that take part in their new quest line is the total population in the game? 1%? While we don't know exactly the equivalent content that could get made by that same team is that around the same for one hub of quests on the Isle of Thunder that a much larger percent can enjoy?

Regardless, I still agree and think there needs to be more class specific elements in the game. I've wanted to create a hunter solely because they've been focusing quite a bit on making sure hunters have a load of rare pets with unique challenges attached to them. But they should go back to requiring quests for the Felsteed and Paladin Charger mounts. As a shaman I'd love to have a choice over what my totems look like or something like that. Give me some sort of way of earning a customization for them, even if it means I'm doing something that's earning me rare glyphs that allow it. I'm sure with some thought each class could have its own separate customization elements like that and not all would require grueling questlines, I'd imagine, if some creativity was put into it. Sure, I'd love long, interesting, unique quests to earn things but I'd be up for something else.

RPGCrazied

Ok, went ahead an did the 2nd part of HoF. Wow, 2nd boss in there is worse then Garolon. That mutated stuff gets ugly fast, we wiped like twice. lol. Finally got to empress, of course no claw, even with bonus rolls. But I don't wanna go through that again. :( I did get 2 tier pieces in there, so thats good I guess.

Bizazedo

I know. I read about it online. :) The empress klaxxi drops the claw. I'm still running the first part. I've about got the mechanics down, still have problems with garlon though. Hes an ass. I have yet to enter ToE. I'm no where near geared for ToT.

Sure you are. You constantly overestimate what's required, it's cute :).

As soon as you hit 480 ilvl, start running ToT.

RPGCrazied

Sure you are. You constantly overestimate what's required, it's cute :).

As soon as you hit 480 ilvl, start running ToT.

Yeah, I guess. Its been all easy so far, except the mutated thing. That is not fun. My bracers are holding me back, blue 458 ones. I'm trying to keep doing the first half of bosses, cause one of them drops some, but no luck yet.

ZenaxPure

Yeah, I still don't get why they were all outright removed. Most of the instances and objects relating to them still exist in the world.

This is the big problem. It doesn't make much sense that they were removed. Removing the Paladin/Warlock/Druid Mount/flightform quests actually makes sense, as the game gets older it becomes harder to find people to do those quests at the appropriate level which means you either avoid them or have a higher level friend run you through it, which just means it's an annoyance rather than a proper challenge.

The staff/bow on the other hand is baffling, the zones are still there, the bosses that dropped the items are still there, and so on. About the only thing to change is one of the items you needed for benediction was dropped by the elite demons at max level which of course no longer exist, but, it wouldn't have been very hard to move that item somewhere else.

At the very least with the advent of transmog Blizzard should reintroduce the models to the game (could even be class exclusive) since the models were unique.

Tarazet

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/ghostlands/Tarazet/simple

- LFR staff
- LFR head
- ToT NM neck (replaced valor piece)
- LFR tier shoulder
- LFR cloak
- SPA valor chest
- ToT NM bracer (replaced valor piece)
- LFR tier gloves
- 5.2 valor belt
- SPA valor pants
- LFR boots
- SPA valor ring
- Elite Protectors ring
- SPA valor trinket
- ToT NM trinket

So that's 6 ToT LFR pieces, 3 ToT normal pieces, 4 Shado-Pan Assault valor pieces, and 2 5.1 pieces, and I'm buying the belt next week. RNG has favored me this entire expansion.. I've done a lot less than a lot of people and gotten a lot more useful upgrades.

Sethos

Banned
Man the Death Knight is crazy in some situations, especially when it comes to AoE. Freshly dinged 90, green gear coming out the wazoo. Get teamed up with a bunch of epic geared guys, we say hallo and off we are. I see them slowly build up to 30-40 and 50k and my puny ass just rockets past them at 70k. It fell to 60k as we progressed but 60k / 33% damage done for a fresh 90 is insane -- In my opinion of course.

Man the Death Knight is crazy in some situations, especially when it comes to AoE. Freshly dinged 90, green gear coming out the wazoo. Get teamed up with a bunch of epic geared guys, we say hallo and off we are. I see them slowly build up to 30-40 and 50k and my puny ass just rockets past them at 70k. It fell to 60k as we progressed but 60k / 33% damage done for a fresh 90 is insane -- In my opinion of course.

DK Aoe is pretty good, yeah.

Are you a tank? If so, that makes it even crazier. DK tanks on AOE pulls are just crazy good.

ZenaxPure

No, DPS right now - Frost 2h. Slowly falling in love with him but I still think the rotation is a bit inane.

I thought the frost rotation was a bit annoying myself at first because of how easy it is to accidentally use a km proc on frost strike instead of obliterate (as 2h of course) but as time has gone on I've gotten better at managing the procs and started using blood tap to take advantage of the procs more and I've actually grown to like the rotation. I'm at the point where I am doing numbers similar to my rogue when he was the same ilvl, which is about all I can ask for I guess.

I don't envy the DK rotation.

I've always wanted to try a DPS DK seriously. I have the heirlooms and everything, but it just seems like SO much management that it just doesn't seem to be a good fit for me.

ZenaxPure

It's honestly not that tough to manage. Easier to get respectable numbers than most other hybrids.

Yeah it's not too bad, I mean, there is a lot going on between runes, managing procs, diseases, and even more if you use blood tap but once you get used to it it's like any other rotation where it just feels natural.

DrBo42

I was playing my disc priest last night with a new UI that shows my mana pool for once (I haven't been fully invested in the game in a very long time) and finally noticed that MP is capped by level... I had been sacrificing spirit with the mindset "oh well, the more int I have the more mana I have so at my level it's not a big deal." God damn it.

Nalsh

I just rolled a Frost 2H DK, and I'm having some trouble wrapping my head around the rotation. Still 55 so I've spent very little time with it, but it's pretty out there so far.

Alright, guild got a little further in HoF. Started up on Garalon and got it on the second attempt. Wasn't the smoothest but still wasn't all that bad. The fourth boss took us about five resets because either CC would break somehow/not be renewed or the tank would die or something. Still, wasn't too bad and just had to smooth things over before it went well.

And then there's the Amber Shaper. Probably died ten times on it before we finally gave up for the night. It's a large mix of issues and it's all in phase two. Tanks not picking up the monstrosity when the other tank gets thrown has lead to a number of deaths. Very few people are properly stopping the monstrosity's explosion, let alone not getting their own. And after a few attempts doing what I consider the normal method (DPS constructs to break them free, then attack boss/monstrosity) they decided to try a different method. During phase two if a DPS turned into a construct they needed to keep sucking up pools and all dps focus on the monstrosity. This has lead to the rest of our wipes and I've suggested we don't consider doing that way but for some reason they favor it. Only once did we reach the third phase using that and two people were already dead, three constructs were up, and there were only about four pools remaining in total for them to attempt to survive. It quickly went to Hell.

So, for at least my peace of mind can someone confirm that we should go back to the usual method of DPS down the constructs so they can break free and then attack the monstrosity after that? I noticed that I tend to be the only one focusing on amber striking the boss and always stopping my explosions so until more come to terms with that I don't see how we'll be successful. Amber strikes did an average of around 900k each so those are a large chunk of the monstrosity's total damage if done properly. And it stacks the debuff!

Just a little frustrated since I don't understand why they favor the second method. But whatever. I'm the new guy in the guild so I'll let them sort things out. Besides, I don't think I can join for next week due to other plans.

The game is always putting me on dungeons with US people, ignoring the fact Im from a latin american server and they get mad because Im writting in spanish.

Sciz

Yeah, that's silly. Phase 2 is all about neutralizing the explosions, phase 3 is all about having enough pools left to keep people from dying. Doing the mechanics right provides all the dps you need and makes the healing far easier.

Tarazet

Alright, guild got a little further in HoF. Started up on Garalon and got it on the second attempt. Wasn't the smoothest but still wasn't all that bad. The fourth boss took us about five resets because either CC would break somehow/not be renewed or the tank would die or something. Still, wasn't too bad and just had to smooth things over before it went well.

And then there's the Amber Shaper. Probably died ten times on it before we finally gave up for the night. It's a large mix of issues and it's all in phase two. Tanks not picking up the monstrosity when the other tank gets thrown has lead to a number of deaths. Very few people are properly stopping the monstrosity's explosion, let alone not getting their own. And after a few attempts doing what I consider the normal method (DPS constructs to break them free, then attack boss/monstrosity) they decided to try a different method. During phase two if a DPS turned into a construct they needed to keep sucking up pools and all dps focus on the monstrosity. This has lead to the rest of our wipes and I've suggested we don't consider doing that way but for some reason they favor it. Only once did we reach the third phase using that and two people were already dead, three constructs were up, and there were only about four pools remaining in total for them to attempt to survive. It quickly went to Hell.

So, for at least my peace of mind can someone confirm that we should go back to the usual method of DPS down the constructs so they can break free and then attack the monstrosity after that? I noticed that I tend to be the only one focusing on amber striking the boss and always stopping my explosions so until more come to terms with that I don't see how we'll be successful. Amber strikes did an average of around 900k each so those are a large chunk of the monstrosity's total damage if done properly. And it stacks the debuff!

Just a little frustrated since I don't understand why they favor the second method. But whatever. I'm the new guy in the guild so I'll let them sort things out. Besides, I don't think I can join for next week due to other plans.

When we killed the Amber-Shaper, we killed a bunch of adds on the first phase to spread out pools, then we had one DPS stay up throughout Phase 2 so that the debuff kept getting stacked. The rest of them we got down ASAP. Then during Phase 3 the boss just melted.

I don't envy the DK rotation.

I've always wanted to try a DPS DK seriously. I have the heirlooms and everything, but it just seems like SO much management that it just doesn't seem to be a good fit for me.

Both of the DPS specs of DK are very easy to play, as long as you can read and follow a guide like Icy-Veins. There are no self-buffs to maintain, your diseases get refreshed by your attacks, you have the same 2-3 rune spenders that you use all the time, the RP spenders are easy and the cooldown management is elementary. Just think of the runes as a screwy kind of cooldown system that you can frequently game to use your core attacks more often.

ZenaxPure

Roughly how much JP do you get per Heroic dungeon? Trying to figure out how long it would take to get an heirloom staff for my priest.

100 JP per boss. Guild perks increase that slightly. So all depends on how many bosses are in there.

Oh on that topic though, if you're solo DPS (meaning you have to wait in the que for ~8 minutes or so) don't forget to murder the 5.1 Krasarang rare spawns for the honor badge thing. My rogue has about 15 of them sitting in his bag currently I plan to cash in once 5.3 gets here so I can upgrade a bunch of heirlooms :)

TheYanger

100 JP per boss. Guild perks increase that slightly. So all depends on how many bosses are in there.

Oh on that topic though, if you're solo DPS (meaning you have to wait in the que for ~8 minutes or so) don't forget to murder the 5.1 Krasarang rare spawns for the honor badge thing. My rogue has about 15 of them sitting in his bag currently I plan to cash in once 5.3 gets here so I can upgrade a bunch of heirlooms :)

Sounds like a hassle? Those have a 2 hour duration.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
The game is always putting me on dungeons with US people, ignoring the fact Im from a latin american server and they get mad because Im writting in spanish.

There's 3 latin american servers, and 5 brazilian servers. if they seperated those, it'd be a nightmare with the queue times. Some of those servers are also converted from NA and some people still play there.

Fairly sure it's 24 hours of playtime with those.

good god is there anything in the game like that? I don't think there is.

Sethos

Banned
Both of the DPS specs of DK are very easy to play, as long as you can read and follow a guide like Icy-Veins. There are no self-buffs to maintain, your diseases get refreshed by your attacks, you have the same 2-3 rune spenders that you use all the time, the RP spenders are easy and the cooldown management is elementary. Just think of the runes as a screwy kind of cooldown system that you can frequently game to use your core attacks more often.

You say both DPS specs are very easy to play, I assume you are talking about Unholy and Frost? Because I'd say Frost is far from 'easy to play'.

There's a self-buff to maintain; Horn of Winter and you can't do it only every 5 minute because it also give you runic power thus it becomes a core part of your rotation. Pillar of Frost is also a self-buff.

So two self-buffs to maintain. ( One being a CD, obviously )

Diseases don't get refreshed by your attacks, you have to keep them up.

You constantly have to use a trigger like Blood Tap which doesn't really become a part of the automatic rotation because it's a bit more unpredictable in terms of when you can use which attacks, when you are depleted, when you can use it before reaching max taps.

You have 3 attacks that are part of your primary rotation, two of them being whack-a-mole kind of thing with the procs and the last being a delayed response damage output which might be a haste proc instead.

You have plague leech which takes back your diseases when they are running out, to activate a fully depleted rune and then you can re-apply.

And then come all the other 'service stuff' you need to have going to be effective and some of the triggers to heal yourself, Empower Rune Weapon etc.

This is all part of the 'best DPS rotation' for single-target on the Frost DK. Now, I'm not saying I am struggling with this or I find it particularly difficult once I've done it a million times as I levelled but I certainly wouldn't call Frost 2H 'easy' and of all the classes I've played and seen, the rotation is pretty daunting.

My comment about it being inane is just the ( bit too ) long rotation chain, where a lot of the abilities just feels like service abilities to yourself and 1/3 of the time you are actually doing in-/direct, heavy damage.

Sethos

Banned
this guy just said frost dk is hard

yeah, and ret is even harder. don't get me started on arcane back in 4.2

Ret is almost a fixed, extremely predictable 5-button DPS rotation, how can that be harder.

The only thing you have to worry about as a self-buff is Inquisition.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
it is sarcasm

rotations are no longer hard. affliction used to be hard, subtlety used to be hard, everything now is varying degrees of easy, with frost and ret and destruction being at the easiest of the easys.

Sethos

Banned
it is sarcasm

rotations are no longer hard. affliction used to be hard, subtlety used to be hard, everything now is varying degrees of easy, with frost and ret and destruction being at the easiest of the easys.

So basically, you are talking out of your ass?

ZenaxPure

So basically, you are talking out of your ass?

Yeah.... no longer hard compared to... what? Most rotations have only got more complicated as the game has gotten older. The only ones that have gotten more simple (not to be confused with easy) are the ones that had too much button bloat to begin with.

TheYanger

There are more and less complicated rotations for different classes, but every class has a lot of room for skilled play. Better players WILL always play better, even with the class with the highest skill floor.

Frost DKs are simple but have a lot of very split second decision-making. Some classes like ret paladins are much more 'complex' but a lot less random.

Sethos

Banned
Frost DKs are simple but have a lot of very split second decision-making. Some classes like ret paladins are much more 'complex' but a lot less random.

I just came off a 90 Ret Paladin and now on the 90 Frost DK and I'd have to disagree with that. Ret Paladins are extremely static and have a lot less in the rotation to deal with, plus complete predictability. A properly played Frost DK has almost twice as much in the rotation, it's extremely unpredictable and requires a lot more attention. What I do find odd, from asking around my guild is; people don't even use many of the abilities with the DK when raiding. Some of them use HoW every 5 minutes, that's it. Some don't use Plague Leech either. The only way I'd call DK simple if I stopped using some of these abilities.

TheYanger

A frost DK has a VERY 'simple' basic rotation. I'm not sure anyone can argue that, it's like claiming Arcane mages are super complex. My entire point was that it's a class with a LOT of room for skillful play despite that, because the way it plays is completely unlike anything else. I'm sorry, but Obliterate, Frost Stroke, Howling Blast, Blood Tap make up 95% of the buttons you hit while playing frost. Yeah, there's obviously more but there's more cooldown related stuff for EVERY class.

Ret paladins, in comparison, have a basic rotation priority of like 8 things. It's VERY static which makes it significantly easier to play as long as you have the knowledge of what to hit when, you don't have to react to much. MORE complex, I could describe the basic Frost DK playstyle in far less words than the Ret one, but the complexity of the Frost DK comes in the rapidfire play and the completely twitch based DPS gains you can achieve. On the flipside, Ret has a lot of lining up cooldowns, lots of utility buttons to use, and it's certainly harder to know what to hit without a rotation helper. Similarly, cooldown usage represents huge amounts of a ret's DPS.

Really, my point should be obvious since it's what I said before: Every class is different, 'simple' doesn't mean easy, and 'complex' doesn't mean hard.

Sethos

Banned
I'd have to disagree then. We're talking about a full rotation, boiling every class down to their core abilities make them all seem easy - However that's not how it works. Also wouldn't agree with the fact that taking half your abilities out of the equation and calling the overhead 'skillful play' is very kosher. Yes, Frost DK would be very easy if the rotation was standing around all day applying the two diseases and then repeat the 3 strikes in an orderly fashion ... But it isn't.

The Paladin's full rotation consists of 3 HP building attacks, two finishers one being an 'execute' ability when the mob is below 20% and then whatever your 90 talent is. That's it. Your biggest worry is keeping Inq. up.

The AoE rotation is even simpler.

But I can already see we could have pages of lovely discussion on how we can't agree. So let's just agree to disagree and say; it's all down to preferred playstyle and subjective opinions. You find the Paladin more 'complex', I find it very easy in all aspects. I find the DK a lot more complex, you find it more simple.

On another note: Anyone know when 5.3's due to be released? Some said it might be in a week or two but haven't heard much. Want that Heirloom shield.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom