• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody know a spot to get really high res blizzard artwork? ALl the stuff on their site stops at like 1600xwhatever. I'm running 1920x1200 so none of the art is suitable for wallpaper.

ZenaxPure

Sorry man, added a spoiler tag to be safe.

Don't sweat it, there is so many bosses being added in 5.3 it doesn't hurt to see what one is like. I will say though that guy actually looked a bit on the easy side. Guess it will just depend how much HP he has and how crazy it gets.

strafer

The WoW Community ladies and gentlemen.

wowcommunityf4zp2.jpg

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
The WoW Community ladies and gentlemen.

http://abload.de/img/wowcommunityf4zp2.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I saw this yesterday and it made me laugh at how stupid it is :

[QUOTE=Player]You forced me to do what I don't like or even hate: scenarios, dailies, pet battles, brawler guild and etc.[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=Blizzard]I can understand scenarios and dailies. Why would you do pet battles and brawler's guild if you don't enjoy them? (Source)[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=Player]There are achievements for pet battles? You have to gain them even if you hate it.Just so others can see big numbers[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=Blizzard]Achievements are the epitome of optional. If you're saying you are forced to do achievements then... I don't know. More gin. (Source)
[/QUOTE]

CassSept

Some of them are right though, the quality of the playerbase went down over the years.

They don't know that they are the root of the problem though. There were always stupid players but Jesus, looking at these blue posts it seems like the percentage of dumb posts increased over the years exponentially.

(PS. Those that want the times of TBC back probably overlap with the group that whined in TBC about game being too hard and raids being inaccessible)

ZenaxPure

Eh more players brings in more bile, the game like doubled its subscriber base since TBC. To be honest though I doubt there are a lot of vanilla/tbc players left anymore anyhow. I have to imagine at this point most people playing started the game in late tbc onwards. I agree though, I wouldn't be the tiniest bit surprised if people whining about old times were the same people whining about how much of a time sink old raiding was at the time. Because internet.

At times I actually wish blizz would release like 1 vanilla or TBC server so people could go back and actually properly remember all the bullshit.

Remember this thing? Lol

I'd feel ashamed that I did the ENTIRE chain but never did Hyjal if not for the fact Hyjal was the worst raid in this entire game. So I'm pretty glad I missed out, especially as a rogue back when we didn't have an AOE.

strafer

Eh more players brings in more bile, the game like doubled its subscriber base since TBC. To be honest though I doubt there are a lot of vanilla/tbc players left anymore anyhow. I have to imagine at this point most people playing started the game started in late tbc onwards. I agree though, I wouldn't be the tiniest bit surprised if people whining about old times were the same people whining about how much of a time sink old raiding was at the time. Because internet.

At times I actually wish blizz would release like 1 vanilla or TBC server so people could go back and actually properly remember all the bullshit.

Remember this thing? Lol

I'd feel ashamed that I did the ENTIRE chain but never did Hyjal if not for the fact Hyjal was the worst raid in this entire game. So I'm pretty glad I missed out, especially as a rogue back when we didn't have an AOE.

Of all the 255 people in my last guild, I'm the one still playing the game.

They all left after wotlk.

ZenaxPure

Of all the 255 people in my last guild, I'm the one still playing the game.

They all left after wotlk.

I've moved guilds plenty of times since vanilla, but, out of the 50ish consistent raiders we had in my vanilla guild only about 6 still play the game. A lot of them didn't even make it through tbc to be honest.

Edit: Actually that reminded me, it was pretty similar to how things still go today. Near the end of naxx we were struggling to get 40 people on each night. First week of TBC we constantly had about 80 people online, 2ish months later we were then struggling to get 25 people to do Gruul. Pretty funny honestly.

strafer

I've moved guilds plenty of times since vanilla, but, out of the 50ish consistent raiders we had in my vanilla guild only about 6 still play the game. A lot of them didn't even make it through tbc to be honest.

Edit: Actually that reminded me, it was pretty similar to how things still go today. Near the end of naxx we were struggling to get 40 people on each night. First week of TBC we constantly had about 80 people online, 2ish months later we were then struggling to get 25 people to do Gruul. Pretty funny honestly.

I wasn't even in a guild in vanilla, I joined a guild mid TBC.

Because a lot of my friends joined then. They were still playing Counter Strike back then. <.<

The community does seem much shittier now. I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that you don't really NEED anybody to do anything these days. I know a lot of people just scream that the game was ruined by this stuff, and I don't agree. However, I do think these things have contributed to the community getting shittier. Other players are just bodies to fill spots for most people now. If you don't have a guild, LFR. If you want to run five mans, you have LFG. If you want to pvp then you can queue up, etc.

CassSept

Hyjal as rogue back then was ridiculous. With a friend rogue we would hide in the towers in Horde base, launch second Ventrilo to sit simultaneously on a second channel and play freaking Parcheesi for hours :lol

Fan of Knives announcement was an amazing day, even if it's first iteration was subpar (10s cooldown LOL)

ZenaxPure

Hyjal as rogue back then was ridiculous. With a friend rogue we would hide in the towers in Horde base, launch second Ventrilo to sit simultaneously on a second channel and play freaking Parcheesi for hours :lol

I always love how many anti-rogue things there were in the raids before wrath. My personal favorite was Shazz where our rogue crew just sat in a line off to the side shooting arrows at the boss for 6 minutes.

Thoraxes

Man, Lei Shen is one of those fights that is way easier on 25. Had to do in 10m cause of attendance and the RNG on some of those P2 abilities is ridiculous in 10m.

I also raided old school vanilla and so much of people's complaints feel unfounded. Blizzard has allowed almost anyone coming in to do anything. What stopped you from raiding before was gear. Now is easier to get gear and easier to see all the content. I don't think that is a bad thing.

I think people are also underestimating how cool all those raids were the first time. And how cool it was the first time you got out into the world and realized just how big it actually is. That feeling will never be replicated and I think people want it to be replicated desperately.

Also. As much as I like mists, and I know the story of pandarans, etc. it does seem like a lot of people are like " OMFG PANDAS?! That do Kung fu? LOLOLOLOLOL" and that has to be hurting the game too.

At this point I wonder if its too hard for people to jump on and that's a reason for the decline. There's a ton of content in this game that is almost trivialized by the leveling process. You can't really BE in a zone for very long before you out level it. It means you don't get attached to what you're doing and it's "on-to-the-next-one" style play.

Enosh

The community does seem much shittier now. I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that you don't really NEED anybody to do anything these days.
I really can't agree with that

I played in vanilla and like half of TBC, missed wrath, you still had people leave when item X didn't drop from boss Y, which at those time meant that person was hard to replace, people being elitist in dungeons, being dicks in raids etc etc

the one that there was less of was "ninjaing" in dungeons
for one thing, if you were really good geared you didn't need to do 5 mans in vanilla, iirc tbc introduced some badges latter on? wasn't there anymore for that, so there was less fear of priest in full t2 coming in and needing on a blue chest for shit and giggles and also there wasn't the same attitude to off spec gear, respecing was costly and on top of that classes usually had 1 useful spec anyway so people didn't really need on gear for their OS like they do now

Tarazet

I really can't agree with that

I played in vanilla and like half of TBC, missed wrath, you still had people leave when item X didn't drop from boss Y, which at those time meant that person was hard to replace, people being elitist in dungeons, being dicks in raids etc etc

the one that there was less of was "ninjaing" in dungeons
for one thing, if you were really good geared you didn't need to do 5 mans in vanilla, iirc tbc introduced some badges latter on? wasn't there anymore for that, so there was less fear of priest in full t2 coming in and needing on a blue chest for shit and giggles and also there wasn't the same attitude to off spec gear, respecing was costly and on top of that classes usually had 1 useful spec anyway so people didn't really need on gear for their OS like they do now

We had to pug a healer last night. We got Megaera down, and a DPS trinket dropped. The pug rolled on it, won the roll, but our guild wouldn't give it to him because he was in there as a healer and we had DPS casters in the guild who needed it. He accused us of changing the rules on him, said he wasn't interested in healing gear and left group. Really? People go into raids as a pug expecting to get gear on their offspec, over people in the guild who need it for main spec?

We had to pug a healer last night. We got Megaera down, and a DPS trinket dropped. The pug rolled on it, won the roll, but our guild wouldn't give it to him because he was in there as a healer and we had DPS casters in the guild who needed it. He accused us of changing the rules on him, said he wasn't interested in healing gear and left group. Really? People go into raids as a pug expecting to get gear on their offspec, over people in the guild who need it for main spec?

If they go in expecting stuff for the OS they should still understand the generally used rule of main spec first, off spec second. It's just silly to assume otherwise.

As for the image posted above by Zenax, I absolutely loved having to earn keys and get attuned for places. I don't know why it was something I cared about so much but I was really happy to earn the Keymaster achievement and I was generally always pushing to earn every attunement I could. The one thing I was most sad about was not earning the titles from attunement since I didn't play "seriously" until the last few months of Burning Crusade and wasn't able to finish making enough progress for Hand of A'dal or whatever the other one was. Pretty sure I was fairly close to one of them, too.

That reminds me that Keymaster didn't become a Feat of Strength, did it? I don't recall seeing it when skimming through them. I wonder if I simply haven't logged on the character that earned it and that's why I don't see it? Huh.

B-Dex

I've been doing some dungeon runs on my dwarf rogue and a paladin ninja's the entire fang set of leather from wailing caverns and an arms warrior ninjad a huge upgrade dagger from shadwofang keep.

Baffling.

Tamanon

Banned
Yeah, the lack of role-specific rolling on the lower dungeons can be a little bit annoying. Just put it out of your mind, as it gets better once you hit the 30s there.

cdyhybrid

Some of them are right though, the quality of the playerbase went down over the years.

They don't know that they are the root of the problem though. There were always stupid players but Jesus, looking at these blue posts it seems like the percentage of dumb posts increased over the years exponentially.

(PS. Those that want the times of TBC back probably overlap with the group that whined in TBC about game being too hard and raids being inaccessible)

The community does seem much shittier now. I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that you don't really NEED anybody to do anything these days. I know a lot of people just scream that the game was ruined by this stuff, and I don't agree. However, I do think these things have contributed to the community getting shittier. Other players are just bodies to fill spots for most people now. If you don't have a guild, LFR. If you want to run five mans, you have LFG. If you want to pvp then you can queue up, etc.

The "community" (if WoW even has something that can be called that) was always shitty. Blizzard is just giving them a platform now with the Twitter convos. Everytime I read those on MMOC it makes me worry, because if they listen to these idiots at all they'll ruin the game.

Berordn

...did he tell you guys that he wanted DPS gear when he joined? I understand rolling if you give the group fair warning beforehand, but acting like that is just being a dick otherwise.

ZenaxPure

As for the image posted above by Zenax, I absolutely loved having to earn keys and get attuned for places. I don't know why it was something I cared about so much but I was really happy to earn the Keymaster achievement and I was generally always pushing to earn every attunement I could. The one thing I was most sad about was not earning the titles from attunement since I didn't play "seriously" until the last few months of Burning Crusade and wasn't able to finish making enough progress for Hand of A'dal or whatever the other one was. Pretty sure I was fairly close to one of them, too.

Well that's probably why you loved it. Right at launch it was all a giant fucking mess. You had to constantly jump between 5 mans and raids for no reason other than time sinks to keep the raids away from you. Not to mention trying to recruit people during SSC/TK became really annoying until Blizzard added the item that let you automatically attune people (which of course lead them to realize the whole process was insane so they should ditch it going forward).

I actually don't have a problem with attunements, problem is the only one I feel like they've ever pulled off correctly is the Onyxia one, had an epic feel, was lengthy but didn't feel padded, had a natural sense of progression that lead you from dungeons to a 40 man raid eventually (instead of mixing the order up). Pretty much all the other ones have been lazy cop-outs (BWL, Naxx 40 man, Malygos, ToeS) or convoluted messes like AQ (even if this one was epic as fuck) and the TBC stuff.

Well that's probably why you loved it. Right at launch it was all a giant fucking mess. You had to constantly jump between 5 mans and raids for no reason other than time sinks to keep the raids away from you. Not to mention trying to recruit people during SSC/TK became really annoying until Blizzard added the item that let you automatically attune people (which of course lead them to realize the whole process was insane so they should ditch it going forward).

I actually don't have a problem with attunements, problem is the only one I feel like they've ever pulled off correctly is the Onyxia one, had an epic feel, was lengthy but didn't feel padded, had a natural sense of progression that lead you from dungeons to a 40 man raid eventually (instead of mixing the order up). Pretty much all the other ones have been lazy cop-outs (BWL, Naxx 40 man, Malygos, ToeS) or convoluted messes like AQ (even if this one was epic as fuck) and the TBC stuff.

I think I just like how epic the attunement quests felt back then. Even if it didn't make a ton of sense having to go between instances and raids I didn't mind that all, too much. It was so tough to gear as a pally tank back then, anyhow, that I was always running instances while attempting to get some raiding done as an OT. I did find it silly that Kara and and Gruul's were generally easier than trying to tank a heroic. Heroics were brutal.

How would you feel if they brought back a similar attunement system but instead it was used to summon an optional boss, e.g. Nightbane in Kara?

Staab

I thought the raiding process in TBC was great, the attunement required effort and some getting together with guildies (the heroics were really hard and not the cakewalk they currently are), it also spaced content well and was very progressive.
The only issue with it was the time requirement due to having people catching up all the time.

So, when does 5.3 hit, is it this week ? Waiting for it until I level my alts !

CassSept

The only attunement I'm a fan of is MC-style time-saving. You can still get in if you're not attuned, but it saves you a lot of time.

Yeah, MC attunement was great

Granted, I didn't start playing until TBC, but I can imagine the pain that attunement must have brought.

Attunement in TBC was epic in theory, but errr, let's say running around Shatt for 2 hours to get Arca pug only for it to wipe on the first boss... that wasn't what I'd really call the epitome of epicness.

ZenaxPure

How would you feel if they brought back a similar attunement system but instead it was used to summon an optional boss, e.g. Nightbane in Kara?

Personally I don't care if they do attunements or not, but if they did them I would want them to involve going forward only, not going backwards. My problem with the BC stuff mostly centered around that. To get attuned with SSC you had to do part of a 5 man heroic and then go kill 2 bosses in the previous raid tier (gruul and nightbane). Which meant at least one person had to go do the entire Nightbane chain, which made him mandatory to do and unless you wanted the whole process to take multiple weeks it meant you needed at least 2-3 people to do his chain. By that token as well it made doing all the Kara attunement stuff mandatory as well, which in turn made getting your keys to access heroic modes mandatory, and of course you couldn't do anything of the Hyjal stuff without doing everything before it. It was pretty much the definition of not skipping content. Makes recruitment annoying for pretty obvious reasons. It's kinda like the MoP legendary chain instead of giving you a cool reward it punished you by not allowing you to raid.

It was just a blatant time sink to force you to replay content you had already done to enter the next raid even if you could walk in there and fight the bosses and be fine. The general response blizzard has gotten from cutting edge raiders is that they don't typically like artificial gates stopping them from doing raids, I can't really think of a single time Blizz has done it where the response was totally positive.

Tarazet

...did he tell you guys that he wanted DPS gear when he joined? I understand rolling if you give the group fair warning beforehand, but acting like that is just being a dick otherwise.

Nope, he didn't say he would be rolling on caster stuff. He just did the one pull, got ticked when he couldn't roll for off-spec over the guildies' main spec, and left. Total dick move.

Personally I don't care if they do attunements or not, but if they did them I would want them to involve going forward only, not going backwards. My problem with the BC stuff mostly centered around that. To get attuned with SSC you had to do part of a 5 man heroic and then go kill 2 bosses in the previous raid tier (gruul and nightbane). Which meant at least one person had to go do the entire Nightbane chain, which made him mandatory to do and unless you wanted the whole process to take multiple weeks it meant you needed at least 2-3 people to do his chain. By that token as well it made doing all the Kara attunement stuff mandatory as well, which in turn made getting your keys to access heroic modes mandatory, and of course you couldn't do anything of the Hyjal stuff without doing everything before it. It was pretty much the definition of not skipping content. Makes recruitment annoying for pretty obvious reasons. It's kinda like the MoP legendary chain instead of giving you a cool reward it punished you by not allowing you to raid.

It was just a blatant time sink to force you to replay content you had already done to enter the next raid even if you could walk in there and fight the bosses and be fine. The general response blizzard has gotten from cutting edge raiders is that they don't typically like artificial gates stopping them from doing raids, I can't really think of a single time Blizz has done it where the response was totally positive.

I guess I'm thinking of it as a counter to how they do stuff like Agalon or Ra-Den. Those heroic bosses will only be seen by the tiniest fraction of WoW players (excluding going back when you're ten levels higher than the content). So instead what if there was some fairly tough attunement stuff, perhaps something similar to the legendary quests now, that in the end allowed you to fight an optional boss. And let that boss be stupidly difficult so even those that aren't properly geared/skilled that took the time to earn the ability to fight the boss won't be able to take him down with ease.

Eh, I just like the long, tough quest chains and miss that content out of everything else that has changed.

RPGCrazied

Wow, those Sha touched weapons must be rare. The empress even has some shoulders for me, but after 5 kills she hasn't gave me anything but gold. lol. Also on the boss that mutates people? I have yet to be mutated. Is it random, or certain class that gets hit?

Berordn

Wow, those Sha touched weapons must be rare. The empress even has some shoulders for me, but after 5 kills she hasn't gave me anything but gold. lol. Also on the boss that mutates people? I have yet to be mutated. Is it random, or certain class that gets hit?

It's random, just like your shot at loot. Hopefully 5.3 drops next week so that everyone gets their roll protection at last.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I hit 90 on my monk yesterday and started doing heroics. Less than half the dps of my lock, lol. I guess 60 item levels matter.

Fjordson

I also raided old school vanilla and so much of people's complaints feel unfounded. Blizzard has allowed almost anyone coming in to do anything. What stopped you from raiding before was gear. Now is easier to get gear and easier to see all the content. I don't think that is a bad thing.

I think people are also underestimating how cool all those raids were the first time. And how cool it was the first time you got out into the world and realized just how big it actually is. That feeling will never be replicated and I think people want it to be replicated desperately.

Also. As much as I like mists, and I know the story of pandarans, etc. it does seem like a lot of people are like " OMFG PANDAS?! That do Kung fu? LOLOLOLOLOL" and that has to be hurting the game too.

At this point I wonder if its too hard for people to jump on and that's a reason for the decline. There's a ton of content in this game that is almost trivialized by the leveling process. You can't really BE in a zone for very long before you out level it. It means you don't get attached to what you're doing and it's "on-to-the-next-one" style play.
I also wonder if some people are in a situation like me, where people they know have given up the game for one reason or another, and thus the game isn't quite as special as it was back in the vanilla days.

This is all sort of anecdotal and will not match everyone's experience, but I knew so many people that played WoW in vanilla and BC. Even my older brother and two of my cousins played it. There was group of like 15-20 of us on our server (shout out to Laughing Skull-US) and it made the game a ton of fun. I always had someone I knew to play with. Would hop on Venttrilo and there would always be at least 4-5 people online, no matter what time it was. It also helped that I was a teenager and basically didn't have shit to worry about outside of homework and WoW :lol we could just hang out and play until 6 AM without giving it a second thought.

But now I'm older, got married, I have this annoying "job" thing, and almost everyone I knew back then has been away from the game for years. I still have fun with the game and I honestly believe Blizzard has made a lot of improvements to it over the years, but the social aspect simply isn't the same for me. And that's totally independent from the actual game so there's really nothing Blizzard can do to make my current experience match up with the vanilla and BC days.

The one thing that Blizzard themselves changed that I did enjoy is the isolated server community. I remember getting to know lots of people on Alliance outside of my real life friends, same with some of the top Horde guilds (especially when it came it PvP) through the forums, and it was pretty neat. There were plenty of assholes, especially when people found out that Leeroy Jenkins and his guild played on our server, but overall it was a great community. Possibly because you had to co-exist with your server's faction if you had any hope of doing any sort of group content.

But I don't begrudge Blizz for changing that and I know what I described above is completely anecdotal and not how it went for everyone in vanilla and BC.

Bizazedo

They need to hurry up with that shit. I'm holding off on leveling my warrior because I'd this. He's at 85.

Not messing with you. You're a Fighting Game dude, I can't even if I wanted to.

But why wouldn't you just get to 90 if you had the time? I've seen a few people say they were waiting, what specifically for?

Tarazet

But why wouldn't you just get to 90 if you had the time? I've seen a few people say they were waiting, what specifically for?

Why do it now if it will take 30% less time after the patch? The 85-90 grind is OK the first time, horrible after that.

Berordn

Yep. I have 4 85's that I'm not touching until next patch. I can't go through it a 3rd time that slowly.

I kept saying this but I started a shaman a few days ago that I got to 85 earlier today (thanks to a combination of RAF granted levels and guildies wiling to run me through stuff), and now I kind of don't want to stop... My love for chain lightning is slowly overpowering my love for efficient leveling.

Do we know each other?

It's about efficiency. I have a family now, and if I can spend less time leveling then I will. I'm planning on getting my other characters to 85 and then slowly level them up to 90 over the summer.

Tamanon

Banned
They've been doing mainly tweaking for a month or so,so I imagine next week? Hopefully.

Another build probably coming out tonight, we'll see if it's labeled release.

I just make sure with each build they don't take away my Retadin buff, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom