• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheYanger

Finally fucking beat disruptron. Fuck you stupid anti-melee ass boss. Just need my RNG blingtron and RNG paper covered rock (and the blind hero of course) until I'm totally finished with Brawler's.

ttk

WTF, even with the new protection rolls thingy, I simply cannot get the sha touched weapon from the empress. Fought her 3 times today, used charms, got nothing but gold and failbags with gold.

Wait, what?
I thought you only had one shot per week.
Are you saying it's possible to use a charm, and get loot even if you've already killed the boss that week? Why the hell did I not know this?

Robin64

Wait, what?
I thought you only had one shot per week.
Are you saying it's possible to use a charm, and get loot even if you've already killed the boss that week? Why the hell did I not know this?

Because it was once hard to get so many charms to keep trying all the time. ;)

Kenai

Finally fucking beat disruptron. Fuck you stupid anti-melee ass boss. Just need my RNG blingtron and RNG paper covered rock (and the blind hero of course) until I'm totally finished with Brawler's.

I embarrassed myself pretty badly trying to kill the Bear and Lady Fair (I just wanted the shirt cause <3 GoT). Granted I was MW spec, but I killed Razorgrin as MW too (an anti-melee king among kings) so I thought I could do it. But those trampolines were impossible for me while being mauled by a bear.

Robin64

If blizzard does an item squish and I can't go back and solo old content then I'm pretty much done with the game.

If you only have 10% of the health you have now and only do 10% of the damage you do now, all the mobs in the game, even old bosses and whatnot, would be set to do 10% less damage than they do now.

No need to worry.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
If you only have 10% of the health you have now and only do 10% of the damage you do now, all the mobs in the game, even old bosses and whatnot, would be set to do 10% less damage than they do now.

No need to worry.

Word. Blizzard has even recently adjusted some old raid mechanics to make them soloable. They wouldn't get rid of that possibility.

mclem

I'm starting to worry that I might be too essential.

We raid Weds/Thurs/Mon/Tue (EU, so the reset is Wednesday morning). I'm the guild leader and MT. On Tuesday my usual cotank can't make it, so that's generally a lighter raid with an alt tank

Four weeks ago, we got our first 10-man Council kill on the Thursday. Had a few goes on Tortos, but mostly had to leave it for the Monday. Except... I was going on holiday, my first significant holiday in years; away for three weeks. I'd promoted a few extra officers to cover my absence, and left them to it.

The remainder of that week, they attempted Tortos, and didn't have much luck, but that's fine; it's a new boss, I don't expect notable work on the first day!

The problems came later. On the first full week without me, 7 wipes on Horridon before getting the kill, and a whopping 32 on Council with no kill. The second week... there's no logs. I *think* - from reports - they didn't get Horridon at all that week.

Third week, seventeen wipes on Horridon, but at least he was downed - and people just didn't turn up for the Monday raid to push Council.

Then I got back (and, fortunately, patch 5.3 hit, which probably helped somewhat!). Oneshots on Jin'rokh and Horridon, with Council taking a reasonable number of wipes on the first day (but we got it quite rapidly on the second). This week, oneshots on all three, meaning we've got a massive chunk of raid time all ready for progression. Things seem pretty much back to normal - if not slightly better than before I went, which I'd put down to the patch. I don't want to believe it's all down to me, but I get the impression from a few private chats that morale was really low while I wasn't around. The good news is that no-one left as a result of the off weeks, but some are taking sabbaticals; I'm hoping our recent performance will encourage them to rejoin us once they're comfortable with doing so.

I should point out that my worry about being too essential isn't a fear-of-burnout thing - I'm very careful to manage my playtime to avoid that, so while I wouldn't claim to be as fresh as new-patch-day all the time, I'm always perfectly happy to be there. It's just a worry that if circumstances mean I can't play for a significant chunk of time, the guild might really be in trouble.

As an aside: The RNG is taking the piss out of my cotank. On our very first run, I got the weapon from Jin'rokh; it didn't drop again for weeks on end. Finally, this week, it dropped for him.

I then used a Mogu Rune of Fate, and got the same weapon - Thunderforged.

He was livid.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to transition up to 25s - a long-term project, but it's one the majority of the guild are interested in. There's one guild with a bunch of old friends in which always seems on the brink of collapse, that's certainly one potential vector for it.

cdyhybrid

We raid Weds/Thurs/Mon/Tue (EU, so the reset is Wednesday morning). I'm the guild leader and MT. On Tuesday my usual cotank can't make it, so that's generally a lighter raid with an alt tank

Four weeks ago, we got our first 10-man Council kill on the Thursday. Had a few goes on Tortos, but mostly had to leave it for the Monday. Except... I was going on holiday, my first significant holiday in years; away for three weeks. I'd promoted a few extra officers to cover my absence, and left them to it.

The remainder of that week, they attempted Tortos, and didn't have much luck, but that's fine; it's a new boss, I don't expect notable work on the first day!

The problems came later. On the first full week without me, 7 wipes on Horridon before getting the kill, and a whopping 32 on Council with no kill. The second week... there's no logs. I *think* - from reports - they didn't get Horridon at all that week.

Third week, seventeen wipes on Horridon, but at least he was downed - and people just didn't turn up for the Monday raid to push Council.

Then I got back (and, fortunately, patch 5.3 hit, which probably helped somewhat!). Oneshots on Jin'rokh and Horridon, with Council taking a reasonable number of wipes on the first day (but we got it quite rapidly on the second). This week, oneshots on all three, meaning we've got a massive chunk of raid time all ready for progression. Things seem pretty much back to normal - if not slightly better than before I went, which I'd put down to the patch. I don't want to believe it's all down to me, but I get the impression from a few private chats that morale was really low while I wasn't around. The good news is that no-one left as a result of the off weeks, but some are taking sabbaticals; I'm hoping our recent performance will encourage them to rejoin us once they're comfortable with doing so.

I should point out that my worry about being too essential isn't a fear-of-burnout thing - I'm very careful to manage my playtime to avoid that, so while I wouldn't claim to be as fresh as new-patch-day all the time, I'm always perfectly happy to be there. It's just a worry that if circumstances mean I can't play for a significant chunk of time, the guild might really be in trouble.

Have you considered having your "second-in-command" (if anyone fits that description) practice running raids? You could just give them pointers as you go along. Or if you don't have a specific person in line, just have all the officers rotate. Probably easier to just do it on days where you're going to be killing easier content, stuff that's already on farm.

As an aside: The RNG is taking the piss out of my cotank. On our very first run, I got the weapon from Jin'rokh; it didn't drop again for weeks on end. Finally, this week, it dropped for him.

He was livid.

We killed Heroic Jin'Rokh yesterday and I got a ring off my coin :D Two of the Agi helms dropped but I didn't get either one though :( 517 ilvl and still stuck with a 483 helm. Those two were the first helms above 483 that I've ever seen drop, and I've run LFR every week and normal ToT almost every week.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to transition up to 25s - a long-term project, but it's one the majority of the guild are interested in. There's one guild with a bunch of old friends in which always seems on the brink of collapse, that's certainly one potential vector for it.

You could try absorbing/partnering with another 10-man just to get bodies, but the answer is going to be regular old recruiting.

TimeKillr

He was livid.

We are sort of in the same situation - I'm co-tank and when I'm not there, the progression grinds to a total halt.

And now I won't be available on tuesdays (we raid tuesday/wednesday/thursday) so it means that pretty much every week I'll start on Tortos since they can't do it without me, apparently.

When I'm there on tuesday, we typically get to Mageara (and now we could probably do her on tuesday too)... This week, I'm not there tuesday, we start on Tortos. We one-shot Tortos, one-shot Mag, 3-shot Ji-Kun... It's ridiculous how if I'm there, we down bosses. If I'm not, nothing happens. :(

mclem

Have you considered having your "second-in-command" (if anyone fits that description) practice running raids? You could just give them pointers as you go along. Or if you don't have a specific person in line, just have all the officers rotate. Probably easier to just do it on days where you're going to be killing easier content, stuff that's already on farm.

It's not running them that's the problem - other officers did take over the leadership roles adequately - it's... well, I really don't know. Motivation? Suggesting ideas? Keeping discussion flowing? Cheering people up? Actual gameplay performance?

You could try absorbing/partnering with another 10-man just to get bodies, but the answer is going to be regular old recruiting.

I know, but this is fairly low-pop server; it seems extremely hard to get people to notice us. I've toyed with thoughts of a server transfer from time to time, but given how many people no longer in our guild have fond memories of us, I'm thinking that having a well of people who, if everything falls apart in their current, could consider returning may be our best asset.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
That bat looks pretty cool.. but 25$? Damn.

I posted on MMOChampion in the hope of being one of the 10 to win it for free, but i know chances are slim with so many people.

As this is my summer game, I picked up pandaria to start off with a months worth and will go from there! Excited to get back, I miss my auction housing!

forrest

formerly nacire
Really expected to see the Fey Dragon on the store and the Bat mount as the Org Raid meta. Oh well another cool mount I wont own. They did drop the ball on not making a walking/running animation for it. Bats have such cool ground locomotion.

Rodimus

Banned
All the mounts in the pet store are $25, so I don't see why this is such a shock.

I have 3 90s (Mage, Lock, Rogue) and have been playing since launch but never really PLAYED a Priest too much. So I rolled a new Priest the other night on Stormrage and I'm in my 30s now.

It just seems like the LFD people in the mid-30s have gone full retard. The last three groups I've been in had one idiot (either a huntard or shaman) pulling whole groups of things while the tank was trying to handle his pull. If I see some dumbass pulling that shit, I drop from the group.

Tamanon

Banned
Weird, I play an inordinate amount of 30s dungeons(altitis so bad), and that's usually where groups start to play like normal groups. I think because the dungeons are generally laid out with completely separate trash groups.

Now Scholo can get a bit dicey in the 40s, but not too bad.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Got 4 secrets this week and still have pinnacle left. RNG don't fail me now, would love to end up with 6 this week bringing me to 10 total.

RPGCrazied

Yeah, the bat mount is kind of a kick to the crotch, specially since the event that is in game currently. Would have been awesome to get the title with this mount at the end of the event, but no, we want you to pay up $25.

vocab

Completed all of Jade Forest today. Pretty fun zone. I'm gonna do Temple of Jade Serpent next, and then go into Valley of Four Winds. I'm confused about how the valley of four winds, and Krasarang wilds story connect. Do I do some valley and then Krasarang?

Bisnic

Completed all of Jade Forest today. Pretty fun zone. I'm gonna do Temple of Jade Serpent next, and then go into Valley of Four Winds. I'm confused about how the valley of four winds, and Krasarang wilds story connect. Do I do some valley and then Krasarang?

Go into the Valley first, you'll get a bunch of quests soon after that both leads you do Krasarang or continue into the Valley.

Kenai

Go into the Valley first, you'll get a bunch of quests soon after that both leads you do Krasarang or continue into the Valley.

Yea, you can choose to follow Chen for awhile and eventually your faction into the summit area, or follow the four disciples into outer valley or the jungle, which also has your faction doing different stuff. I usually prefer Kun-lai cause I'm a Grummle fan and the Vale quest is there, but it doesn't really matter.

Rokal

So I posted a while back asking how to equip my newly minted 90 DK and have now gotten into Scenarios and such. However, doing the dailies all over Pandaria is getting to be a chore, and I'm not sure if there's one or two factions I should concentrate on in order to get better geared for Heroics.

Should I just juggled all of them, or concentrate on a few? Opinions?

Arguably none of them are important anymore. Most of the rep factions offered VP gear and there is only one set of VP gear worth buying in 5.2/5.3: 522 ilvl gear from the shadopan assault faction. You can get that rep by doing the Isle of Thunder stuff and Throne of Thunder LFR. You can also gear up quickly in earlier versions of LFR.

To qualify for those, run scenarios/heroics, buy VP gear from the Isle of Thunder NPCs (shadopan assault faction) and some other pieces from the Kirin Tor faction on the same island.

You can also find some cheapish upgrades in the AH. Are you playing on Proudmoore?

Tarazet

Last week we saved our guild lockout, so we'll be doing Twins and then probably on to Lei Shen tonight, since us tanks are pretty bright and we downed Iron Qon with one day of progression and learning. I've done my homework, so I'm pretty sure I'm prepared. I hope the rest of the raid is.

Bisnic

Arguably none of them are important anymore. Most of the rep factions offered VP gear and there is only one set of VP gear worth buying in 5.2/5.3: 522 ilvl gear from the shadopan assault faction. You can get that rep by doing the Isle of Thunder stuff and Throne of Thunder LFR. You can also gear up quickly in earlier versions of LFR.

To qualify for those, run scenarios/heroics, buy VP gear from the Isle of Thunder NPCs (shadopan assault faction) and some other pieces from the Kirin Tor faction on the same island.

You can also find some cheapish upgrades in the AH. Are you playing on Proudmoore?

The problem with what you're suggesting is that he is a new 90 and the only item he'll be able to buy from Shado-Pan Assault right now is the 522 necklace. He'll be unable to get rep unless he join the LFR ToT, and that requires, what, 480 average item lvl? A fresh 90 just can't do that. For now, all he can do is buy the 522 necklace and keep doing heroics for 463 blues and do the older LFRs until he can reach 480. So, unless he can reach 480 very quickly, which I doubt, he'll have to buy some of the 496 epics from the dailies factions in Krasarang or Isle of Thunder at least.

ZenaxPure

Yeah, Disruptron is pretty fucked, it took me around 200 attempts to beat his buggy ass. I'm going to bet his bugs still aren't fixed either which makes it all the more depressing.

I'm currently on the Nibbler Snake who is pretty easy overall but his DPS requirement is pretty tight when you're only at 515 equipped ilvl. Haven't tried very many times yet since even this far into the patch there is usually like a 10 person waiting line at the guild which is just too long for my taste. Of course that also means when I do go there to try (only 2 or 3 people around at like 5 in the morning) there is no buff groups to be had, not that that bothers me much though.

So, unless he can reach 480 very quickly, which I doubt, he'll have to buy some of the 496 epics from the dailies factions in Krasarang or Isle of Thunder at least.

480 is pretty fast actually, even faster in 5.3 considering you can get a free ilvl 489 item every week. He's best off saving his VP for shado-pan assault stuff honestly, or perhaps upgrading a weapon he gets in HoF/Terrace. Takes 3 weeks to cap vp and getting 480 within 3 weeks.... is kind of a complete joke. You get access to more Shado-pan Assault gear right after your very first Zandalari wing ToT clear since it's enough to push you to friendly.

The problem with what you're suggesting is that he is a new 90 and the only item he'll be able to buy from Shado-Pan Assault right now is the 522 necklace. He'll be unable to get rep unless he join the LFR ToT, and that requires, what, 480 average item lvl? A fresh 90 just can't do that. For now, all he can do is buy the 522 necklace and keep doing heroics for 463 blues and do the older LFRs until he can reach 480. So, unless he can reach 480 very quickly, which I doubt, he'll have to buy some of the 496 epics from the dailies factions in Krasarang or Isle of Thunder at least.

One tip that wasn't given that can help is to go to Isle of Thunder first before LFR, kill one of the rares there, get the key for the treasure run, and then grab a bunch of elder charms in there. That'll allow plenty of extra rolls for LFR and help gear up to 480 just a bit quicker.

Do the new 5.3 quest chain for a pair of 502 boots. Then there's little reason not to spend the 500 valor to upgrade those if for some reason you're getting close to hitting the total valor cap.

One other thing to consider is looking into which faction has a valor ring since you can only equip one of them through Shado-Pan Assault.

ZenaxPure

I have never loathed a fight so much as I do Nibbleh.

I don't know if you're melee or ranged, but, I found as melee that toggling run to walk makes it less annoying. You can just constantly move backwards without having to worry about getting out of range.

Sciz

I don't know if you're melee or ranged, but, I found as melee that toggling run to walk makes it less annoying. You can just constantly move backwards without having to worry about getting out of range.

Melee. I've tried the walking backpedal; sometimes it works, sometimes I end up just a hair out of range the whole way, and sometimes the damn thing just sits in place for a moment and enrages, and I can't tell what I'm doing differently to cause the variances.

ZenaxPure

Use RP walk and backpeddle works better. Packpeddling you move too fast and have to stutter step.

Yeah, that's what I mean when I say toggle run to walk. The 4 or so times I've tried him I found it to be the perfect speed as melee since you can just hold down the back button without ever letting go. Sometimes it can make turning corners weird, but otherwise it's perfect.

Sciz

Use RP walk and backpeddle works better. Packpeddling you move too fast and have to stutter step.

Yeah, the inconsistent behavior I've been running into is with the walk toggle on. I actually get more consistent results out of doing a mad little looping dance without it, but then I run out of room before it runs out of health, so that doesn't work out either.

Suppose I'll keep walking and see if I can hit the sweet spot more reliably.

I wonder if that would work on Primordius. I don't want to move too fast and range my healers, but I have to stay away from the healing slimes.

Post-patch, with the damage reduction down to 35%, normal Primordius is Patchwerk 2.0. Drag him to the middle and melt the sucker.

Pollux

Right click their portrait, choose the option and type it in? Or does it still not take?

Still doesn't take, tried multiple times and nothing. Even tried reloading the UI a few times. Still didn't work.

I just signed off and will try again later tonight.

Westlo

One tip that wasn't given that can help is to go to Isle of Thunder first before LFR, kill one of the rares there, get the key for the treasure run, and then grab a bunch of elder charms in there. That'll allow plenty of extra rolls for LFR and help gear up to 480 just a bit quicker.

if you get the saurok skin it's quicker imo to just find a treasure trove in that area, I always get a chest within 5 minutes doing that.

Bisnic

So i got 6 secrets of the empire in my first complete run of LFR ToT.. is that supposed to be good?

So i got 6 secrets of the empire in my first complete run of LFR ToT.. is that supposed to be good?

I got 6 last week on my lock, and 4 for 6 bosses on my DK this week so far... But my lock that only needed two more? Just. One. RNG is only nice to you when you don't need it. Fact! *endless grumbling* :<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom