• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

strafer

"Oh, yeah. Oooh, ahhh, that's how it always starts. Then later there's running and screaming."

:p

ian_laugh16jkt5.gif

Ultratech

when is it worth using valor points to upgrade items? When its almost the best you can get in that slot or not?

That's about how I'd do it.

Like if you've gotten some 516 or 522 items (from Heroic Scenarios or World Bosses) and you don't raid Normal ToT, I'd say those are good candidates for upgrades.

But it's also pretty helpful for weapons and some other stuff.

when is it worth using valor points to upgrade items? When its almost the best you can get in that slot or not?

If you have ToT weapons and trinkets, regardless if they're LFR/Reg/Heroic, upgrade the asap especially if you're dps. You'll notice a nice jump in dps as weapons are pretty much the biggest increase you can get, and trinket procs get a nice and healthy boost as well.

After that, upgrade your chest, legs and helm since they have the largest stat budgets of all gear slots, and you will gain the most stats wise with each upgrade.

ZenaxPure

It's good to know that after almost 9 years Blink can still go down instead of forward leading me to fall through the world to my death.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Rewards from Mogu coins have been worse than before since 5.3 went live... i thought they were supposed to make it so that if you get unlucky many times, you'll have more chances on the next coins?

Slayerx

What is the drop rate on the new raiding pets? I did ssc/tk/kara and only got 1 pet from void reaver :( Doing Vashj' with 99 stacks of her buff was hilarious, like I had to click on name plates to select mobs near her.

Regarding the 5.4 feature, Mumper is saying its a very big feature they've been talking about for a long time and GC is saying now it can never live up to the hype :( Who to believe?! Since Tom Chilton said that it was to do with old content I am guessing scaling for everything, zones/raids/dungeons.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
What would be the point of scaling zones? It would be nice during lvling so you can continue quest chains without being 5 lvls too high, but once you're 90, you don't care if Desolace is scaled to your lvl.

Slayerx

Helping out friends and new players without trivialising content and one shotting everything, maybe when you level yourself you can go to any vanilla zone instead of Outlands at level 60 and get scaling rewards from quests. This will open up levelling experience even more, go anywhere you want. They could make levelling non face roll, stuff wil kill you if you are not playing well.

By scaling zones I mostly mean scaling the player down though.

ZenaxPure

Oh godddd, was checking out the latest blue posts on MMO champ and ran across this guy complaining about the legendary meta gem scenario. After that one got locked he had another one saying that it's impossible despite the fact he is 515 equipped.

I just can't even comprehend it, it is challenging but not THAT challenging lol.

I hope Blizzard never nerfs it (or at least not this expansion) if you can't finish that thing you don't deserve the meta gem.

What would be the point of scaling zones? It would be nice during lvling so you can continue quest chains without being 5 lvls too high, but once you're 90, you don't care if Desolace is scaled to your lvl.

Well generally in other MMOs the point of level scaling zones is so that higher level friends can play with you without just one shotting everything, but really the problem with it in WoW would be the lack of any real motivation. Even if you could repeat quest chains, most people would just level an alt to do that

They would have to create new systems and rewards to make level scaling in old zones actually matter.

Enosh

Rewards from Mogu coins have been worse than before since 5.3 went live... i thought they were supposed to make it so that if you get unlucky many times, you'll have more chances on the next coins?
I'm starting to think this was just some elaborate experiment to see if people fall for it -.-

After months of checking the BMAH since I resubbed, Plagueheart Sandals are up! I can finally finish off my T3 set, even if I feel dirty about it =P Never did get the boots in Naxx cause I was always saving dkp for something better -_-

Hoping I can get them for cheap. I mean, who in their right mind would pay tens of thousands of gold for boots right?!

You know what new feature would be nice for 5.4? Adding the ability to join heroics, LFR raids or BGs while playing an alt.

For example, you join a LFR queue with your lvl 90, and rather than wait 30 mins on him doing nothing, you can go play a low lvl alt and the LFR window will pop up while playing that alt and the game will automatically log you on your 90 during the loading screen if you click accept. That would be nice.

As an altoholic I've been wanting that feature for ages. I hope Blizz gets it together and implements it.

CRZ is the best! Horde lock also bidding on boots with "friends" that keep me from bidding?
Get invited by a 90 on a PVE realm
Disappear completely from Horde lock's pov
Get unflagged and keep bidding stress free from a different realm <3

ZenaxPure

CRZ is the best! Horde lock also bidding on boots with "friends" that keep me from bidding?
Get invited by a 90 on a PVE realm
Disappear completely from Horde lock's pov
Get unflagged and keep bidding stress free from a different realm <3

Won't lie, me and a friend use it all the time to check on rare spawns between both of our servers (since we both want specific items). It's pretty nifty. Also in the heyday of Golden Lotus dailies he would use it to come do the quests on my server since his character is on a crowded high pop server and my server is medium pop which feels "just right" for questing.

Won't lie, me and a friend use it all the time to check on rare spawns between both of our servers (since we both want specific items). It's pretty nifty. Also in the heyday of Golden Lotus dailies he would use it to come do the quests on my server since his character is on a crowded high pop server and my server is medium pop which feels "just right" for questing.

Haha, yeah, I've done the same to get fun things like the Crystal of Insanity or the fireworks launcher. My lock is on a PVP server with something like a 10:1 ratio of Horde to Alliance, so I put him on a PVE realm to do things that would be a fucked otherwise, a good recent example being the Barrens commanders.

You can do this yourself if no one is available and you have access to another account and a character on another server (my DK is on a PVE server, for example). I get on my DK, start up another WoW, log on to a friend's account, get on a character (any server), invite that character, give them lead, switch to my lock, invite my lock, and my lock will stay on the PVE realm until he leaves the group, even with both the other party members offline.

Man...

I pugged Horridon 10-man last night and we got him down in eight tries (during enrage time with two people standing *chuckles*). Felt good. Also felt a bit like old times because it tended to be people I've seen around Two Moons on the server but hadn't really grouped with. People were talking and joking on Mumble and I even added a couple of them to my friends list.

I do love that I can still find those moments in this game.

Rokal

I think if it's scaled anything it will be scaled 5 mans. Scaled zones don't make much sense unless there is a way to repeat old quests (which isn't impossible I guess) and scaled raids are victims of time.

I think this is probably what we're going to get. Scaled versions of old dungeons and a reward system to support running them. I imagine this is the sort of thing that will follow us between expansions, so that there is a level 95 (100, 105, etc.) version of Hellfire Ramparts to run when you hit the level cap in the next expansion and you'll actually get something for running it.

It'll certainly be a way to keep 5-mans from getting stale, especially if they add or change bosses and mechanics periodically.

cdyhybrid

So many people bitch about there not being new 5 mans that I wouldn't be surprised. I never understood it because 5 man dungeons are so pointless right now. Unless you need JP you'll run maybe 5 before you're geared enough for LFR.

ZenaxPure

I think this is probably what we're going to get. Scaled versions of old dungeons and a reward system to support running them. I imagine this is the sort of thing that will follow us between expansions, so that there is a level 95 (100, 105, etc.) version of Hellfire Ramparts to run when you hit the level cap in the next expansion and you'll actually get something for running it.

Something that I found interesting Blizz said a while back (I think it was in the live Q and A? Whatever, doesn't matter I guess) is that the warlock scenario (and preseumbly other scenarios I guess) can scale with your level, so if a warlock does the green fire quest at 95 everything will just automatically scale in numbers. I wonder if they could apply that to dungeons or if they would just choose to ever cap dungeons challenge mode style. Either way I feel like that if this upcoming feature doesn't do it, it's something Blizzard will do some day because it just kinda makes sense in a lot of ways.

So many people bitch about there not being new 5 mans that I wouldn't be surprised. I never understood it because 5 man dungeons are so pointless right now. Unless you need JP you'll run maybe 5 before you're geared enough for LFR.

Well, those people aren't very good at making their argument. I don't even think that they really want new 5 mans exactly, I think it's more that each patch they want new gear they can go grind JP for. It's just in wotlk and cata these were (almost) ALWAYS accompanied by new 5 mans, thus the expectation becomes bring a new 5 man so we can grind a new set of gear for our 11 alts.

I can't really relate to that since chain running easy mode 5 mans makes me want to kill myself, but, it's pretty apparent that wotlk and cata bred a type of person that enjoys that. I totally read a post of a man that maintained over 20 alts in Cata through 5 mans. That kind of play is just impossible nowadays. There literally isn't enough hours in a week to take 20 (or even 10 or 11) characters through LFR unless they are tanks or something.

cdyhybrid

Well, those people aren't very good at making their argument. I don't even think that they really want new 5 mans exactly, I think it's more that each patch they want new gear they can go grind JP for. It's just in wotlk and cata these were (almost) ALWAYS accompanied by new 5 mans, thus the expectation becomes bring a new 5 man so we can grind a new set of gear for our 11 alts.

I can't really relate to that since chain running easy mode 5 mans makes me want to kill myself, but, it's pretty apparent that wotlk and cata bred a type of person that enjoys that. I totally read a post of a man that maintained over 20 alts in Cata through 5 mans. That kind of play is just impossible nowadays. There literally isn't enough hours in a week to take 20 (or even 10 or 11) characters through LFR unless they are tanks or something.

That's just lunacy. Luckily, it doesn't seem like Blizzard listens to this crazy fringe player base when they make their decisions. It also bothers me that it seems like half of every MMO-Champion update is people bitching about the existence of LFR. LFR is almost the sole reason I'm playing.

ZenaxPure

That's just lunacy. Luckily, it doesn't seem like Blizzard listens to this crazy fringe player base when they make their decisions. It also bothers me that it seems like half of every MMO-Champion update is people bitching about the existence of LFR. LFR is almost the sole reason I'm playing.

Unfortunately in this case I don't think it's just solely crazy people. There are plenty of casual people who in wrath and cata enjoyed taking care of multiple alts and gearing them up as much as they could without raiding.

I agree LFR is one of the main reasons I am still subbed right now, but, the reality is it's just too time consuming for altoholics. Even if you only have 4 or maybe even 5 alts you enjoy playing, LFR just isn't a good way to gear all of them up, it's very time consuming to run the actual instance (unless you're a tank or healer) and it's not entirely guaranteed your group will finish the wing (though determination has lessened that to an extent). Also that's not including the people who just don't enjoy raiding who haven't really had an alternate way to earn a full set of gear since MoP launch (each daily hub since then has only covered specific slots) until this patch (but H scenarios/challenge mode and barrens is all gated), or those people who really only play at odd hours because of work or current life situations and can barely even get a full clear of LFR in on one character because of wait times at like 4 in the morning.

It makes sense when you think about it, even though raiding got more main stream in wrath blizzard started the trend of allowing you to run 5 mans for nearly a full set of gear. That practice went on for essentially 4 years up until now, so it's not surprising after 4 years of being so used to gearing up a certain way people are suddenly having a huge outcry about it because that style of playing just doesn't exist in MoP.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

I thought they said no 5 mans because they take like 8 months to program.

CassSept

Or cancel a raid and use that instead.

R.I.P., War of the Ancients raid ;-;

4.3 being War of the Ancients was such an exciting thought. Instead we got an expansion with one tier less than the previous ones (in the same time frame), a final raid consisting of almost only recycled assets and a 3-boss instance at the Pond of Eternity. Ah, what could have been.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
4.3 being War of the Ancients was such an exciting thought. Instead we got an expansion with one tier less than the previous ones (in the same time frame), a final raid consisting of almost only recycled assets and a 3-boss instance at the Pond of Eternity. Ah, what could have been.

I didn't mind there being only 3 tiers in Cataclysm. I minded Firelands being half the length of either Ulduar or Throne of Thunder.

Berordn

I didn't mind there being only 3 tiers in Cataclysm. I minded Firelands being half the length of either Ulduar or Throne of Thunder.

In two tiers, MoP already has more bosses than the whole of Cata. Assuming they don't half-ass it with 5.4, there's no way they can't win.

ZenaxPure

Well to be fair Vanilla was the only time that they actually had 4 fully realized raid tiers each spaced a reasonable amount of time apart. At least in Cata (and MoP) they are being honest about cutting the 4th tier and not trying anything to dumb.

They've had millions of subscribers for almost a decade. Time to pay it forward.

Feels like they are finally getting to that point. But, GC has tweeted a few times that the main thing holding them back is artists to design the dungeons and such, which they constantly try to hire. Maybe someday they will get to that point, but at least in MoP everything else has been coming at a really fast pace.

Rokal

Firelands was disappointing at the time after coming out of T11 but in retrospect it was a pretty good tier. The fights were interesting at least and pre-nerf the normal mode balance felt perfect for my guild. If I had known how shitty Dragonsoul (T13) would be at the time, I would have appreciated Firelands (T12) much more.

MoP raids have been pretty great so far, content and pace-wise. ToT loses a few points for starting as a troll instance and having very stale mechanics for tanks, but I still had fun all the way to the end.

Tarazet

Firelands was disappointing at the time after coming out of T11 but in retrospect it was a pretty good tier. The fights were interesting at least and pre-nerf the normal mode balance felt perfect for my guild. If I had known how shitty Dragonsoul (T13) would be at the time, I would have appreciated Firelands (T12) much more.

MoP raids have been pretty great so far, content and pace-wise. ToT loses a few points for starting as a troll instance and having very stale mechanics for tanks, but I still had fun all the way to the end.

Yes, tanking normal ToT was not hard compared to what the DPS have to deal with. There's just a lot of gear checks, and all I had to do was throw a few Stamina gems at the problem and it went away.

ZenaxPure

Yeah, my guild actually had a lot of fun with Firelands at the time, especially since the trash design was a clusterfuck homage to Molten Core. Our problem came from the fact that the Heroic versions of almost all the fights were completely fucking shitty. Half the new mechanics didn't add anything to the fights and the more interesting mechanics were really punishing to 10 man guilds since if you didn't have specific class/specs to deal with them the fight became about 10x more terrible.

That said almost every one of the normal mode versions of the fights are some of my favorites in the game. I loved that the raid split up on Beth, I love how everyone on Alysrazor had their own special task they had to do, guiding rhyolith around to step over volcanoes was interesting, domo is probably one of the more original fights the game has ever seen, and Ragnaros had a proper epic feeling to him that fit his character. Something like Ulduar certainly had more bosses than FL but only about half of those bosses were as interesting as the FL fights. Stuff like Auriaya, Razorscale, Vezax, and Ignis while fun didn't really feel very "special".

Not that I think a smaller raid tier is better though, I much prefer the grand size of Ulduar or ToT to that of Firelands or Sunwell.

sqwarlock

I've never been a raider, and I'm exactly what you described in your opening paragraph. I'm not crazy, I just play differently. WoW is an escape for me at the moment, and there's times where I'll spend an entire night just flying around farming mats because I enjoy the low-stress activities.

I came back to WoW just over a month ago, and I don't even have a 90 yet so I can't comment on what LFR is like. I'm sure I'll like it, but I'd appreciate it if I wasn't called part of the "crazy fringe player base" just because I happen to enjoy 5-man dungeons.

Angry Grimace

Well to be fair Vanilla was the only time that they actually had 4 fully realized raid tiers each spaced a reasonable amount of time apart. At least in Cata (and MoP) they are being honest about cutting the 4th tier and not trying anything to dumb.

Feels like they are finally getting to that point. But, GC has tweeted a few times that the main thing holding them back is artists to design the dungeons and such, which they constantly try to hire. Maybe someday they will get to that point, but at least in MoP everything else has been coming at a really fast pace.

Yeah, but Vanilla was also the base game in its entirety.

ZenaxPure

I've never been a raider, and I'm exactly what you described in your opening paragraph. I'm not crazy, I just play differently. WoW is an escape for me at the moment, and there's times where I'll spend an entire night just flying around farming mats because I enjoy the low-stress activities.

I came back to WoW just over a month ago, and I don't even have a 90 yet so I can't comment on what LFR is like. I'm sure I'll like it, but I'd appreciate it if I wasn't called part of the "crazy fringe player base" just because I happen to enjoy 5-man dungeons.

Well I wasn't the one that called it crazy! I just don't really like it myself (as in, chain running dungeons like crazy. I love 5 mans when they are challenging but not as something to throw hours and hours of time at each day), but, I agree that it is certainly a facet of the game that a large amount of people are a part of for various reasons, and it currently doesn't exist at level 90 in any fashion whatsoever.

sqwarlock

Well I wasn't the one that called it crazy! I just don't really like it myself (as in, chain running dungeons like crazy. I love 5 mans when they are challenging but not as something to throw hours and hours of time at each day), but, I agree that it is certainly a facet of the game that a large amount of people are a part of for various reasons, and it currently doesn't exist at level 90 in any fashion whatsoever.

Yeah I know you didn't call it crazy, but I felt your post was more accurate to reply to and just quoted from that other post above yours for the crazy part.

I will say that if, at 90, I won't be able to play like I did in Wrath and Cata I won't make a big stink about it. If anything I'll just roll more alts and level them to 90 to sit and wait for the next expansion while one or two of my characters get the true max-level focus.

ZenaxPure

I will say that if, at 90, I won't be able to play like I did in Wrath and Cata I won't make a big stink about it. If anything I'll just roll more alts and level them to 90 to sit and wait for the next expansion while one or two of my characters get the true max-level focus.

Well, the thing with MoP is there is infinitely more things to do at level 90 outside of simply gearing up, and, especially true in this patch there are multiple ways to gear up a character (real raiding, LFR, questing, heroic scenarios/daily challenge mode dungeon) but the 5 man model used in wrath and cata has been totally gutted. We are 3 patches into the expansion (with the 4th supposedly going to PTR soon) and the only thing you can spend JP on is blue gear that is literally almost 100 ilvls lower than the current best (upgraded) gear in the game, and it's the stuff that has been there since launch.

ZenaxPure

I personally prefer heroic scenarios to 5 mans right now, don't know if I am the only one.

Nah I am there with you, but honestly I prefer scenarios to normal old 5 mans in general since what they lack in difficulty they generally made up for with creativity. Now we get the best of both worlds, I've totally been running them on 4-5 characters per day. Been good times except for the one time those assholes stood in the lightning of Brewing Storm after I told them not to, jerks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom