• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

sqwarlock

Well, the thing with MoP is there is infinitely more things to do at level 90 outside of simply gearing up, and, especially true in this patch there are multiple ways to gear up a character (real raiding, LFR, questing, heroic scenarios/daily challenge mode dungeon) but the 5 man model used in wrath and cata has been totally gutted. We are 3 patches into the expansion (with the 4th supposedly going to PTR soon) and the only thing you can spend JP on is blue gear that is literally almost 100 ilvls lower than the current best (upgraded) gear in the game, and it's the stuff that has been there since launch.

So it's either that low-ilvl blue gear or heirlooms for JP? Well that's...interesting. Still, whatever it takes to gear up my characters, that's what I'll do. I only used the "chain run 5-mans" method because it was the path of least resistance at that point in time. Scenarios sound really interesting, and I'm looking forward to trying them out. Also looking forward to all the level 90 content I've heard about. The hard part is deciding which of my characters I want to take to 90 first, since I have four 85s all waiting for it.

cdyhybrid

I've never been a raider, and I'm exactly what you described in your opening paragraph. I'm not crazy, I just play differently. WoW is an escape for me at the moment, and there's times where I'll spend an entire night just flying around farming mats because I enjoy the low-stress activities.

I came back to WoW just over a month ago, and I don't even have a 90 yet so I can't comment on what LFR is like. I'm sure I'll like it, but I'd appreciate it if I wasn't called part of the "crazy fringe player base" just because I happen to enjoy 5-man dungeons.

Do you have 10+ alts all running heroics for hours a day? If not, I wasn't calling you crazy :D I would actually love new 5-mans, I was just saying I think it's crazy that someone would care enough about them to actually threaten to quit over the lack of 5-mans. Of course, most of the people who GC responds to (and get posted on MMOC updates) are probably a minority.

At this point, with the existence of LFR, it's like complaining there isn't enough new content at level 80 and threatening to quit over it. There is easily accessible content as a next step in progression. Yes, it can take longer to put together a full set of gear, but even if you can only play for one hour, that's still enough time to do one LFR with a DPS queue.

ZenaxPure

So it's either that low-ilvl blue gear or heirlooms for JP? Well that's...interesting. Still, whatever it takes to gear up my characters, that's what I'll do. I only used the "chain run 5-mans" method because it was the path of least resistance at that point in time. Scenarios sound really interesting, and I'm looking forward to trying them out. Also looking forward to all the level 90 content I've heard about. The hard part is deciding which of my characters I want to take to 90 first, since I have four 85s all waiting for it.

Well, I actually forgot to mention the kicker of it all. That gear you can buy with JP is actually a lower ilvl than what you can get in dungeons as drops, and, the more hilarious (sad?) part is that you can buy ilvl 470 epic gear from pvp vendors with honor and you can still exchange JP for honor so technically you're better off just turning all your JP into honor since you get better gear for it (pvp stats don't eat into the item budget meaning same ilvl pvp gear and pve gear is mostly equal stat-wise).

sqwarlock

Do you have 10+ alts all running heroics for hours a day? If not, I wasn't calling you crazy :D I would actually love new 5-mans, I was just saying I think it's crazy that someone would care enough about them to actually threaten to quit over the lack of 5-mans. Of course, most of the people who GC responds to (and get posted on MMOC updates) are probably a minority.

At this point, with the existence of LFR, it's like complaining there isn't enough new content at level 80 and threatening to quit over it. There is easily accessible content as a next step in progression. Yes, it can take longer to put together a full set of gear, but even if you can only play for one hour, that's still enough time to do one LFR with a DPS queue.

Oh hell no hahaha. I will admit that a player fitting your profile does seem a bit crazy. I also tend to see the MMOC forums as the "crazy" outliers in the community. For example, the thread full of rage over Darkmoon Faire going CRZ.

Well, I actually forgot to mention the kicker of it all. That gear you can buy with JP is actually a lower ilvl than what you can get in dungeons as drops, and, the more hilarious (sad?) part is that you can buy ilvl 470 epic gear from pvp vendors with honor and you can still exchange JP for honor so technically you're better off just turning all your JP into honor since you get better gear for it (pvp stats don't eat into the item budget meaning same ilvl pvp gear and pve gear is mostly equal stat-wise).

That just sounds odd. Was there a reason given for devaluing JP like that?

Berordn

It's actually 476, excluding weapons. Easiest way to gear up.

ZenaxPure

It's actually 476, excluding weapons. Easiest way to gear up.

Er yeah, was thinking about the weapon when I typed that haha. 476 gear and 470 weapons.

That just sounds odd. Was there a reason given for devaluing JP like that?

Not really. They clearly had no idea what they were doing with JP at the start of the expansion, the gear was also tied behind reps along with the VP gear (which is also tied behind reps) but the rep requirement was so high that by the time you had hit the needed rep chances are you were already raiding by that point meaning you didn't need the gear anyway.

CassSept

Well to be fair Vanilla was the only time that they actually had 4 fully realized raid tiers each spaced a reasonable amount of time apart. At least in Cata (and MoP) they are being honest about cutting the 4th tier and not trying anything to dumb.

Well, there were four tiers in TBC, but I guess you can't talk much about spacing when the first was available at launch, second was at launch but very rough and unfinished and third was dumped less than 4 months after them. Well, at least they were somewhat spaced in the sense that you had to go through them one after another, due to either gear requirements or attunements.

I didn't mind there being only 3 tiers in Cataclysm. I minded Firelands being half the length of either Ulduar or Throne of Thunder.

That's what I mainly meant, yeah. A throwaway boss or two to pad the tier and it would had looked better. Ulduar had 4 filler bosses and even then one of them had an interesting mechanic (Kologarn).

mclem

Maybe someday they will get to that point, but at least in MoP everything else has been coming at a really fast pace.

I'm really starting to feel like they might actually be able to realise their longstanding goal of 'one year between expansions' this time. Of course, it's somewhat dependent on there having been enough development on the *next* expansion while all this has been going on, but their scheduling for MoP has been excellent.

Not really. They clearly had no idea what they were doing with JP at the start of the expansion, the gear was also tied behind reps along with the VP gear (which is also tied behind reps) but the rep requirement was so high that by the time you had hit the needed rep chances are you were already raiding by that point meaning you didn't need the gear anyway.

I'm thinking JP->Crafting Mats is the way forward.

Westlo

So many people bitch about there not being new 5 mans that I wouldn't be surprised. I never understood it because 5 man dungeons are so pointless right now. Unless you need JP you'll run maybe 5 before you're geared enough for LFR.

they want 5 mans but they also want them like the Hour of Twilight and Lich King 5 mans. Just as good as previous tier normals but in 5mans!

lordmrw

I'm really starting to feel like they might actually be able to realise their longstanding goal of 'one year between expansions' this time. Of course, it's somewhat dependent on there having been enough development on the *next* expansion while all this has been going on, but their scheduling for MoP has been excellent.

I'm thinking JP->Crafting Mats is the way forward.

so far everything from that leaked document seems to have come true and from what I remember of it the next expansion seems slated for around June or July. They've been better about getting content out in a reasonable time frame and even Pandaria came 9 months after Dragon Soul.

thinkin of getting into WoW. Never played a big MMO, the only MMO's i've played were free Korean MMOs, like Maplestory and Dungeon Fighter Online. Are their guides on how to build your character and where to farm for items?

ZenaxPure

thinkin of getting into WoW. Never played a big MMO, the only MMO's i've played were free Korean MMOs, like Maplestory and Dungeon Fighter Online. Are their guides on how to build your character and where to farm for items?

Building your character isn't a big deal because the only penalty for wanting to change your talents, enchants, gear gems, etc. is gold, which is very easy to get nowadays for purposes such as those.

As for "farming items", WoW has a very rigid structure on where to get gear for your character, it's designed in such a way you don't really need guides to tell you how to get stuff. As for crafting materials those are about in the same boat, it's super obvious. Want leather? Skin dead animals. Want herbs? Pick them off the ground from zones. And so on.

But still, WoW has a huge player base which means you can easily find out info about anything you need in the game very easily.

ZenaxPure

Any word on the source of the faerie dragon mount yet?

I'm hoping it is a pet store mount so I can get it day one.

Well, they just released a new pet store mount so I don't think they would release another one so close. All the other mounts on the store have been spaced apart pretty well I believe? If it is a pet store mount I imagine it won't show up until near the end of the expansion.

Berordn

More or less. We know a standalone Battle.net client has been on the table for some time now, alongside 3rd party Battle.net 2.0 integration.

Draxal

Feels like they are finally getting to that point. But, GC has tweeted a few times that the main thing holding them back is artists to design the dungeons and such, which they constantly try to hire. Maybe someday they will get to that point, but at least in MoP everything else has been coming at a really fast pace.

He made a recent tweet that they might be able to do something about it. (I just think there was too much pressure or whatever).

I think implementing challenge modes in this scenario complicates things as well. I think they would have to introduce new challenge modes and a suitable reward for doing so.

I kinda wished they rename heroic scenarios to challenge scenarios right now, as the fact that you can q to heroic instances but not heroic scenarios but you need premade groups for challenge modes and scenarios is a naming convention that bothers me for some weird reason. I just think it results in utter confusion for new people.

sqwarlock

Well, they just released a new pet store mount so I don't think they would release another one so close. All the other mounts on the store have been spaced apart pretty well I believe? If it is a pet store mount I imagine it won't show up until near the end of the expansion.

Could be used as a tie to the next expansion, maybe? I know the Heart of the Aspects was more of a Dragon Soul tie-in, but it resembles the cloud serpents enough that I always saw it as a tie-in to MoP as well. Then again maybe that's what the bat mount is.

I just came back to the game after only playing a month of MOP when it launched and I've been doing some Raid Finder. Is there a limit to the amount of gear you can receive in LFR per week? I did the first raid on the list and got a bunch of loot (only one which I actually needed) and then I did 4 raids last night and got nothing but gold and more gold with extra rolls.

Ultratech

I just came back to the game after only playing a month of MOP when it launched and I've been doing some Raid Finder. Is there a limit to the amount of gear you can receive in LFR per week? I did the first raid on the list and got a bunch of loot (only one which I actually needed) and then I did 4 raids last night and got nothing but gold and more gold with extra rolls.

Typically, you're only eligible for loot once per boss (you can check this in the Raid Finder tab if you hover over an icon in the window.)

But you can use as many bonus rolls as you want on any boss in LFR per week.

And yeah, getting gold sucks. :/

Typically, you're only eligible for loot once per boss (you can check this in the Raid Finder tab if you hover over an icon in the window.)

But you can use as many bonus rolls as you want on any boss per week.

And yeah, getting gold sucks. :/

I know that. I didn't do the same raid 5 times. I did 5 different raids.

Touchdown

Banned
I can't find a pug to do ToES for my nice tier 14 bear mask for my druid. :( ( I have the LFR version but i like the reg colors better :( )

With them having not announced where the Faerie Dragon mount comes from and having just released a new Blizzard Store mount, what are the odds it'll be the next mount from a trading card pack? There's a new set due for release in July from what I saw Googling around. They did just have a new mount in their February set (Ghastly Charger, I believe?) so perhaps they space them out more? I don't follow the TCG so I'm not certain how often they include mounts in the decks.

But it'd be a pretty big bummer if that's where the mount came from. Just thought about it and that seemed like a likely place.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
With them having not announced where the Faerie Dragon mount comes from and having just released a new Blizzard Store mount, what are the odds it'll be the next mount from a trading card pack? There's a new set due for release in July from what I saw Googling around. They did just have a new mount in their February set (Ghastly Charger, I believe?) so perhaps they space them out more? I don't follow the TCG so I'm not certain how often they include mounts in the decks.

But it'd be a pretty big bummer if that's where the mount came from. Just thought about it and that seemed like a likely place.

I keep hoping they'll make a rare-spawn mount with 50 spawn points in every zone just so you could randomly get an ultra rare mount while just doing whatever in any given zone.

I keep hoping they'll make a rare-spawn mount with 50 spawn points in every zone just so you could randomly get an ultra rare mount while just doing whatever in any given zone.

They could just add an extremely low drop rate to all the rares in Pandaria, in that case. If they could make a drop server wide they could have a chance for the mount to be looted (by a single person) every three hours but only 1/20 of the time it's the mount and the other 19/20, if you're lucky to have looted the correct rare, it'll just be some faerie dust junk you sell for 10g or something.

Guess I wouldn't mind this since I still randomly kill rares but I don't see this being something they'd do this far into Pandaria. Could be something to implement for rares in the next expansion, though?

So 3 weeks since 5.3. Nine bonus rolls used on Iron Qon. Zero loot.

I guess I can't be too mad about it, it's my own fault really, for not interpreting the "bad luck streak protection" correctly. It doesn't protect me from bad luck streaks, it protects the bad luck streaks. How could I have been so silly to think otherwise.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
8 rolls on Heroic Jin'Rokh and still nothing.

17 kills in total and still no plate DPS belt. 496 belt forever.

Fun fun fun

cdyhybrid

I have given up on loot. I just run LFR ToT and weekly quests until I'm Valor capped, do my daily Heroic Scenario and farming, and then level my alt (Pally, will be Prot at 90). If I'm uber bored I might run older LFRs for Sha Crystals to turn into Dancing Steels to sell.

sqwarlock

I really, really don't want this to be the source for that mount. At least if it's a store mount I'm only getting gouged by Blizzard. A TCG mount means either getting gouged by Blizzard by buying however many boosters I need to get it, or by some random internet person that's selling the code.

Fuck my life.

The solo fight against Wrathion is brutal as a windwalker. He spawns these adds that have 400k health that I MUST kill that hit for 30k a pop.

There's got to be some kind of trick to doing this. I can't see any melee besides a Shaman or a Paladin being able to pull it off.

Has anyone done this as a melee DPS yet?

Tarazet

Fuck my life.

The solo fight against Wrathion is brutal as a windwalker. He spawns these adds that have 400k health that I MUST kill that hit for 30k a pop.

There's got to be some kind of trick to doing this. I can't see any melee besides a Shaman or a Paladin being able to pull it off.

Has anyone done this as a melee DPS yet?

You mean the Thunder Forge encounter? It's really just a DPS race. You click the anvils whenever he casts Insanity and the remaining adds all get one-shotted. You can kite them, kill them, whatever works best, but keep damaging the boss, because if you run out of anvils before you have access to the lance, you're boned. Use the healing beams too.

You mean the Thunder Forge encounter? It's really just a DPS race. You click the anvils whenever he casts Insanity and the remaining adds all get one-shotted. You can kite them, kill them, whatever works best, but keep damaging the boss, because if you run out of anvils before you have access to the lance, you're boned. Use the healing beams too.

No, I did that already.

I'm talking about the step after you turn in the runestones. You have to go and get blessings from the Pandaria celestials, and complete one of their challenges. My challenge is with Xuen, the White Tiger, and you have to defeat Wrathion in solo combat.

Cool concept, but he spawns five adds with 400k each that hit me for 30k each. He does this multiple times and you have to kill them.

I don't know what to do. I can only get him down halfway (31 million health) before I just get overwhelmed.

Magnus

Has this been mentioned in the thread?:

I may have to take advantage of this and move a couple things around...

6841_10151592888904034_1596448820_n.jpg

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

Hm... does that include race change? My 2 mains are female draeneis, and i almost want to change my mage to something like a dwarf in preparation to the upcoming model update, and just because i want 2 different races.

My paladin will stick to female draenei, as the CrystalForge set and the Aldori Legacy Defender shield fits too perfectly.

Clipse

Nice timing, Blizz. Been getting bored of how my goblin looks in all my transmog sets.

Would kind of miss the rocket jump racial though, especially since Pandaren's quaking palm thing is useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom