• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sciz

It'd be a letdown to go through all this effort and not get a weapon at the end of it, but I imagine they haven't figured out how to split that across LFR/normal/heroic and keep everyone happy.

It'd be a letdown to go through all this effort and not get a weapon at the end of it, but I imagine they haven't figured out how to split that across LFR/normal/heroic and keep everyone happy.

They like adding things on, maybe it will be something that adds a legendary proc to a SoO weapon. And maybe changes the appearance too.

ZenaxPure

Is there a time limit for completing the legendary quest chain?

Not currently, they haven't said anything about ever removing it either.

They probably won't either, when it's all said and done it will be the longest quest chain ever in the game, even next expansion it will take months to complete in its current form if you decide to do it.

Tomboy

Neo Member
Not currently, they haven't said anything about ever removing it either.

They probably won't either, when it's all said and done it will be the longest quest chain ever in the game, even next expansion it will take months to complete in its current form if you decide to do it.
Excellent. Thanks.

ZenaxPure

Hello there.

We agree and feel that Titan Runestones drop too rarely. We are going to make some changes to Lei Shen.

For players that are on the legendary quest line, Lei Shen will now always drop a Titan Runestone. This is similar to what we did with rare drops in the past and will help players that have been experiencing really bad luck.

This change is still undergoing testing and is scheduled to take effect next Tuesday with the raid resets.

Well that's fairly nifty. I think that means all I need is 1 more to drop next week (outside of the Lei Shen one) and I will be on my way to a cape. I had really good luck with them this week.

Was 4/12 on bosses dropping Secrets of the Empire, got a Green Proto Drake out of my Oracles egg, and Malygos dropps the Azure Drake mount. Not a bad day at all.

Ran all the other usual mount places and they didn't drop, so the luck didn't roll through and get my Onyxia mount or Ashes. Oh well!

Westlo

holy fuck @ the 5.3 loot bag exploits, blizzard you dun goofed, up, lawl @ being able to get a full set of 516 gear by this method since you could "open" 40-50 bags with one single cache. they seem to have banned a lot of people but what a fuck up lol.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Gathered all my Wrath heirlooms on one toon. Going to take advantage of the deal and transfer one of them to my new main server.

I know its silly, but it feels really weird doing this. Mind you the server is dead as a door knob, but it was my home. For years. The toon I'm transferring was a toon still sitting at 70 from my BC days, but was my first max level character. It feels almost... sad, leaving destromath behind.

cdyhybrid

Gathered all my Wrath heirlooms on one toon. Going to take advantage of the deal and transfer one of them to my new main server.

I know its silly, but it feels really weird doing this. Mind you the server is dead as a door knob, but it was my home. For years. The toon I'm transferring was a toon still sitting at 70 from my BC days, but was my first max level character. It feels almost... sad, leaving destromath behind.

I left the server I started on Day 1 of Vanilla for a much more populated one, haven't looked back at all. The game is so much better on a higher population server.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
I left the server I started on Day 1 of Vanilla for a much more populated one, haven't looked back at all. The game is so much better on a higher population server.

Oh I agree, the server I'm on now is only a few thousand people away from being a "full" and I love it. Its more just a sentimental thing.

Westlo

I've played Proudmoore, Blackrock and now and from hereon Frostmourne, full servers 4 life. Though they suck @ the start of an expansion but it pays off after that period. What I really loved about playing on Proudmoore and Blackrock, which were the unofficial Aussie servers was due to them having a lot of americans and aussies, it felt busy no matter the time of day you were on.

strafer

I started out on Executus (PVP) EU, Before realising that PVE was superior and you don't get attacked every damn time.

Then I jumped to Stormrage and now finally Draenor.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

Former GM/QA Blizzard employees are a dime a dozen, no reason why it would be faked. That said, most of those don't know anything worth knowing apart from annecdotes mostly.

Edit:

https://twitter.com/Ghostcrawler/status/342510504079679488

Ghostcrawler said:
Dear random AMA dude, you didn't beat me at Magic in high school as often as you claim. In fact, the game wasn't invented until years later.

:)

Well that's fairly nifty. I think that means all I need is 1 more to drop next week (outside of the Lei Shen one) and I will be on my way to a cape. I had really good luck with them this week.

How long has it been? I just started that, zero so far for my first week. Shocking I know.

ZenaxPure

How long has it been? I just started that, zero so far for my first week. Shocking I know.

It's been about 5 and a half resets (finished my secrets with one of the runestone wings) since I started the runestone quest. I think I got at least one per week except for 1 week, and then multiple most weeks. Drop rate seems a lot more random than the secrets but this change should help even it out for people still on the quest.

cdyhybrid

I started out on Executus (PVP) EU, Before realising that PVE was superior and you don't get attacked every damn time.

Then I jumped to Stormrage and now finally Draenor.

I moved from a PvE server to a PvP server. Luckily, the PvP server is Horde dominated, so the only Alliance threat will be guilds that run around and gank people 20 on 1 out in the middle of nowhere, or camp flight points in remote towns. Even then, they don't last more than 30 minutes.

Ugh I just can't quit this game after playing for so many years. I always resub within a week of my account running out of time... I just resubbed, logged in and within 5 minutes of not having any idea wtf to do I alt+f4ed =[ Any ideas for having fun solo? lmao

Berordn

Ugh I just can't quit this game after playing for so many years. I always resub within a week of my account running out of time... I just resubbed, logged in and within 5 minutes of not having any idea wtf to do I alt+f4ed =[ Any ideas for having fun solo? lmao

I've been running old raids for fun and profit on my monk. Seeing what you can push alone is fun.

Collect wild pets, collect transmog gear, level your professions and reputations, Brawler's Guild etc etc etc

Sciz

Is brawler's doable as a LFR\PVP geared boomie? =[ Boomies get screwed so much most of the time

The further north of 500 you can get, the better, but you can get pretty far even in mediocre gear. Spec doesn't particularly matter, although bursty ones will find their lives a fair bit easier.

The further north of 500 you can get, the better, but you can get pretty far even in mediocre gear. Spec doesn't particularly matter, although bursty ones will find their lives a fair bit easier.

I was able to reach Rank 7 at around a 500 ilvl and got through that at around 502 and have been stuck at Rank 8, though I haven't tried all that many times to make progress past that. That's all as enhancement shaman. So if you know enough about the classes to consider how you'll do in comparison that might give you a decent idea.

And seriously, Hexos sucks. I keep having to fight it and get absolutely nowhere.

ZenaxPure

If you are good at your class LFR gear is more than enough. I'm currently on the final fight with Ahoo'ru and I am only 515 equipped. I finished the rank 8 special bosses before 5.3 at around a 505 ilvl and that's probably not even entirely accurate since I killed 3 of them a long time ago when I was probably around ilvl 500 (been so long I can barely remember), mostly just Disruptron that held me back since he was ultra buggy.

To give some perspective, my friend's warlock is only 485 equipped (which was pretty high for an alt at the start of 5.1) and he made it all the way to Battletron which is 1 fight from the extra bonus bosses.

Marven

Agreed, that is pretty need. I think that might kill my guild's 10 man raids groups but eh that might not be so bad.

Preview, for those who don't know what we're talking about.

ZenaxPure

Expected, but I wasn't expecting it to be flexible. Another raid difficulty makes so much sense at this point but being able to scale based on the number of people is just so smart for those types of guilds where you might not have enough people for 25 one night etc. Some pretty smart shit.

Crap. I'm at work and I can't go ro battlenet.

Can anyone give me a summary?

Scaled raids
Pick any number of people between 10 and 25 and the number values scale
Harder than LFR, easier than normal, gear is between LFR and normal.
On a different lockout than LFR/normal meaning you can raid 3 times a week I guess
Can still earn raid achievements in this difficulty

Oh also left out a big thing, uses the LFR loot system. At first glance I was like "weird" but then suddenly a random UBRS memory flooded back to me and I immediately was like "ok this is meant for pugs as well, might be for the better". Also probably really hard to use the traditional loot system since you can have people coming and going, where exactly would you draw the line of "at this many people the boss drops x amount of loot".

RPGCrazied

Well, flexiable mode isn't for me. Cause my guild/server is dead, and I have not many b.net friends. I will have to stick with LFR I guess.

cdyhybrid

Interesting idea. Does the loot ilvl scale with the amount of people in the raid?

This would have been nice for my guild a few weeks ago, but we've recruited enough people to consistently field 25 now.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't get the point of Flexible Raid. Is that really the "new feature" for 5.4?

Tamanon

Banned
I like the Flexible Raid idea. My guild usually has 2 10-man groups and this'll let us condense it, or allow more people to attend raids without having to commit to a 25-man.

Flex Raid Info

After reading the preview and thinking a little bit about it, do you think this is eventually the way their whole raiding structure will go? Keep the four difficulties (LFR, Flex, Normal, Heroic) but allow for flexibility overall?

I really can't see a good reason why not. They could keep things essentially as they are now for Normal/Heroic while still scaling the difficulty. Also put more limiters into gear dropping (don't use the LFR rules, drop set amounts based off of amount of people that join).

The amount of gear dropping and properly working out good scaling values seem to be the things that'd require the most work to sort out. But figuring out health and damage coefficients doesn't seem like something that'd take drastically longer once they had a good grasp on designing things that way.

Just seems to me that this could be the direction things go instead of splitting things between 10 and 25 man for guilds wanting to do normal and heroics.

Draxal

I don't get the point of Flexible Raid. Is that really the "new feature" for 5.4?

I wish they had it in wrath. It's pretty much meant for a 25 man guild that has a great ten man core but lot of bad stragglers, which is really what killed 25 man raiding, pretty much impossible to keep that quality for 25 raiders.

ZenaxPure

This sounds like something a lot of people will be doing through open raid.

Pretty much. Since it can be done cross realm you can just hop into a raid and start recruiting friends across Bnet.

My only real question is how are they going to scale for healers/dps? What if your raid somehow ended up with 10 healers and 3 dps or something. Curious to know.

I don't get the point of Flexible Raid.

So here is the point of it in a nutshell. Casual guilds have been on the decline for a pretty long time because the difficulty of raiding since Cata, 25 mans break down into 10 mans or just die altogether, especially if they lose a key player or two.

With this system those guilds can be in an atmosphere where they thrive. The difficulty is set lower than normal meaning it's probably going to be easy enough that X amount of good players can carry their not so good family/friends through the raid and have fun doing it as a big happy family. But oops, wait a second, one of DPS decided to go fuck his girlfriend and this family of 3 decided to go out to dinner (Legit example I've seen happen before). Who cares, the raid difficulty will just scale down so missing those people won't matter. It's a really smart idea for these types of guilds.

A side effect should also be a lot more raid PuGs going on assuming the difficulty is actually pretty easy.

Slayerx

Also this system allows a sort of cross realm guilds/raiding for current content and since you get meta achievements it's a legitimate way to raid.

Enosh

soo basically the beer league people have been asking for (aka easier than normal, no match making) but with the added benefit of not having to cancel a raid if under 25 people show up or having someone sit out if over 10 show up

cool I guess
don't like having 3 locks out really
then again will probably drop lfr for my alts and do this if there is a reasonable pug completion rate

Draxal

Pretty much. Since it can be done cross realm you can just hop into a raid and start recruiting friends across Bnet.

My only real question is how are they going to scale for healers/dps? What if your raid somehow ended up with 10 healers and 3 dps or something. Curious to know.

So here is the point of it in a nutshell. Casual guilds have been on the decline for a pretty long time because the difficulty of raiding since Cata, 25 mans break down into 10 mans or just die altogether, especially if they lose a key player or two.

With this system those guilds can be in an atmosphere where they thrive. The difficulty is set lower than normal meaning it's probably going to be easy enough that X amount of good players can carry their not so good family/friends through the raid and have fun doing it as a big happy family. But oops, wait a second, one of DPS decided to go fuck his girlfriend and this family of 3 decided to go out to dinner (Legit example I've seen happen before). Who cares, the raid difficulty will just scale down so missing those people won't matter. It's a really smart idea for these types of guilds.

A side effect should also be a lot more raid PuGs going on assuming the difficulty is actually pretty easy.

Basically, my 25 man wrath guild had a ten man that got the first server kill of LK (mind you we were on a really bad server.) But our 25 man got like the 13th kill and it required like max stacks of the ICC buff. The core ten man was good friends with the rest of the guild but it just couldn't survive all the bad players.

Also this system allows a sort of cross realm guilds/raiding for current content and since you get meta achievements it's a legitimate way to raid.

Looks like a return to the common trade call out of offering to run you through a raid with you not needing to do anything so you can get the meta mount in exchange for a large chunk of gold.

Entropia

No One Remembers
My one kind of "err, why?" for this Flex Raid is having it as a separate sort of 'difficulty' from normal. Why not have it so that I can do normal raid if I have 10-25 people? Then heroic raids would require a set 10 and 25.

Draxal

My one kind of "err, why?" for this Flex Raid is having it as a separate sort of 'difficulty' from normal. Why not have it so that I can do normal raid if I have 10-25 people? Then heroic raids would require a set 10 and 25.

Normal is too hard for alot of guilds. GC has stated they really need to add another difficulty level and I agreed with him.

The only thing I can guess is that with the no ilvl restriction to join in on a flex raid this allows them to bring in a couple members that aren't serious enough to gear up for LFR and still experience the raid content. But it won't be as hard as Normal because that would crush the undergeared clinger-on.

And this probably explains their ilvl difference between LFR and Normal we got with ToT. With it changing to a 20 ilvl difference I'm going to guess that Flex will be 8 higher than LFR and Normal being 12 higher than Flex.

Entropia

No One Remembers
The only thing I can guess is that with the no ilvl restriction to join in on a flex raid this allows them to bring in a couple members that aren't serious enough to gear up for LFR and still experience the raid content. But it won't be as hard as Normal because that would crush the undergeared clinger-on.

And this probably explains their ilvl difference between LFR and Normal we got with ToT. With it changing to a 20 ilvl difference I'm going to guess that Flex will be 8 higher than LFR and Normal being 12 higher than Flex.

Normal modes are the same though. There's no ilvl requirement and the raid can bring in an undergeared person if they desire.

ZenaxPure

I think Wibble is right. I wouldn't be surprised if this system eventually replaces at least normal mode raiding. Heroic might be a bit more sketchy.

Actually for that matter I wouldn't be surprised if LFR could eventually cap at 40 people. Could probably bring DPS wait times down a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom