• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZenaxPure

The ivory raptor is back?

No, just a mount that looks very similar to it. Can be obtained with 9999 bones on the Isle of Giants. Was added in 5.2.

Edit: For reference this is the Ivory Raptor. At a glance they look pretty much identical but if you look closer you will notice differences. IMO it served as an excellent way to reintroduce an old mount like that but not make it look exactly the same.

333996.jpg

Sciz

Yeah, and given the repetitious nature of it all it gave me a pretty good idea of how much better my gear and skill was getting over time. At first I fought every kind of dinosaur, some killed me, others did not. Once I got into the groove I discovered that the Skyscreamers were the fastest way to get bones for me, they dropped 16ish at a time and I found them the most enjoyable to fight because you still had to be aware of what was going on as their breath attack hits for about 180k. So it became a game of dumping all my RP, using AMS to absorb the breath and capping, then just simply dodging the other breaths. On the Alliance side of the island there are 4 Skyscreamers that spawn near each other, at first I would pull them one at a time and by the time I was done with the 4th the first would be spawning again. But by the end my DK's gear was good enough that my route evolved so I would pull 2 Skyscreamers at a time, the next 2, use Army to solo a large Direhorn and then kill baby Devilsaurs until the 2 Skyscreamers respawned.

I know what you mean. I did the whole grind in Brewmaster; when I started, I could handle three direhorn hatchlings at once, or three raptors with cooldowns. By the end I could swing groups of five of either type (or occasionally four direhorns and an adult thanks to a mispull), and the only reason I don't pull any more is because it's just hard to get six or more together at once.

Agreed that dps could probably use a type to farm that isn't survivable en masse, but isn't tank-worthy alone. Watching hunters chip away at a single direhorn at a time was just painful.

Huzzah, all done!

I used the bone collecting as a way to pass time while listening to podcasts, and finally finished a few minutes ago. Guess I have to find some new activity to do while listening to them. I hope we see another good grind in the future, I enjoyed working towards my mount.

How long did it take you? Did you do it solo, or with bros?

A friend of mine and I are gonna start working on that.

ZenaxPure

How long did it take you? Did you do it solo, or with bros?

A friend of mine and I are gonna start working on that.

It's hard to say really. I only did it while listening to podcasts, which is generally only about 5 hours a week (but for like 2 weeks I was totally just doing some hardcore minecraft during podcast time instead of bone farming). Would be easy to do the math, but, I didn't start grinding day 1 of 5.2 because I was going to gear up my hunter and do it on him instead (so I could skin them) but turns out I hate hunters at level 90, so I leveled and geared up my DK instead. My DK hit 90 on March 20th, give about 2 weeks for gearing up, and... give or take 30-35 hours to get all the bones? That's a really REALLY rough estimate, because there are plenty of times I alt tabbed to browse the net and take a break, or get some food, stuff like that. Also it's all relative to your gear, when I first started I had a ton of blues so killing mobs took longer than now where I could pull multiple at a time.

As for solo vs. group, I grouped a few times when people was around but I'd say the majority of it was solo. If you and your friend can kill the Adult Direhorns quickly without much downtime between them that would probably be the fastest way with a group of 2. They drop roughly 20 bones each kill. It's worth noting that drops are not shared, so you have to rotate who gets the bones, but, given how many bones the Adult Direhorns drop it's still probably faster for 2 people to do that than killing mobs on your own (since it's pretty much impossible to kill the Adult Direhorns solo as DPS and it can even be sketchy as tank if you aren't geared well plus they have 8mil HP which is time consuming for 1 tank specced person).

After dying once and then looking online for a solo strategy I was able to solo Alysrazor for an attempt at the mount. But it didn't drop. During the flame vortex thing the video I watched landed a bit away on an incline with some fire elementals. All went well until I poorly judged and pulled them all on me while trying to keep myself alive. Was the big elemental spawning more of the little guys? I barely know this raid so I wasn't sure what was going on. I popped a bunch of cooldowns and was constantly around 10% health or lower for a bit and then suddenly healed up to 100% almost instantly and all the elementals died away quickly. Was extremely stressed while having a dozen+ of those little guys hitting me while the vortex was doing global damage to me. Was able to kill Alysrazor right before it landed for the second vortex, though, so that worked out just fine. Also got the Do a Barrel Roll achievement so that was cool.

There's a couple other raid mounts I need to consider adding to my weekly set (currently run TK, Malygos, and Onyxia). And I've been clearing out Slabhide in Stonecore consistently for about 50 kills on that guy. And about a dozen kills on the drake in Vortex Pinnacle as well. They'll all drop one of these days!

And then there's Strat. Ugh.

ZenaxPure

Was the big elemental spawning more of the little guys?

If you're talking about the ramp right outside of Alysrazor's area then yes, he does. That was originally a (fairly shitty) gauntlet where he would keep spawning adds until you made it to the top and killed him.

Also does haste/crit not do too much for Enhance? I can totally kill Alysrazor now before there are tornados, but that fight has always been really broken for assassination rogues I guess, 100% envenom uptime + every GCD going to mutilate or envenom is pretty insane, especially at level 90 where envenom does legit damage.

If you're talking about the ramp right outside of Alysrazor's area then yes, he does. That was originally a (fairly shitty) gauntlet where he would keep spawning adds until you made it to the top and killed him.

Also does haste/crit not do too much for Enhance? I can totally kill Alysrazor now before there are tornados, but that fight has always been really broken for assassination rogues I guess, 100% envenom uptime + every GCD going to mutilate or envenom is pretty insane, especially at level 90 where envenom does legit damage.

Haste at higher ilvls is the best secondary stat for enhance and I stack a lot of it (have around 40.5% haste currently) but my DPS didn't see any crazy increases. I ended the fight at around 105k DPS. My fire elemental is useless in the fight and he's a considerable chunk of my damage. Totems in general are useless, actually, which also means my lava lash is weaker than normal since I'm not getting my five stacks from my searing totem. Also, wolves are useless. It cuts down my possible damage a decent amount from that. I imagine you largely benefit from being able to use your full arsenal while I'm limited a fair bit. Still crazy that you do twice as much damage than me on the boss but it's also the first time I ever did the air phase (and only the second time I'd been in Firelands) so I was sort of learning it as I went. I definitely did more damage during the second flying phase with a better feel for it and hitting more of the fire loop things so I imagine a fully optimized flight phase I could do about 60% of his overall health.

ZenaxPure

Still crazy that you do twice as much damage than me on the boss but it's also the first time I ever did the air phase (and only the second time I'd been in Firelands) so I was sort of learning it as I went. .

Cause assassination is awesome.
KhobXK5.jpg

Or more specifically assassination has always been strong on that fight but everyone was always blowing their load about how awesome Fire Mages were (which they were, but they were always hyped to all hell with nothing being able to touch them).

It certainly is a learning experience, you will do more damage as you do the fight more often but from the sounds of it enhance is kinda getting the short end of the stick.

Alex

Oh for... they should have done this years ago. Really would've helped a lot among my old trials and tribulations with guilds and formations in my later, somewhat more casual years.

If I ever come back, I'll probably get some use out of it.

mclem

The designers are discussing allowing you to at least enter the raid with 8+ people. The intent would be to allow a group to start clearing trash while they wait for a couple stragglers, as the difficulty with less than 10 would still be scaled for 10. It could allow for skilled/geared players to do it with less than 10, but some mechanics just may not be possible as we're not designing for it.

I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop, because right now, I'm seeing nothing about this that I dislike. Provided they nail the balance (there's the 'if', I guess!), it's perfect.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I'm having a continually difficult time balancing my desire to ultimately have a legendary weapon and my desire to not to ToT for no reason other tahn legendary drops for like 10 more weeks.

Hixx

I went in to the Heart of Fear LFR today and I thought it was pretty terrible all around. There's far too much going on visually. So the sonic rings for example on the first boss are much harder to spot than they should be, luckily they are pretty slow and once you've dodged the first one it's pretty hard to let any of them hit you but on higher difficulties can imagine they are a pain.

Second fight the bloody tornadoes. Looking out for the dude with the red arrow on his head when there's a dozen tornadoes obscuring your view is frustrating.

Garalon's not too bad in this regard but the leg animations threw me off a bit, I was following them rather than the circles and I got pretty close to make him Crush a few times.

And the amount of absolute dicks that get in to LFR on a weekend, jesus! Tanks that think they can just take every trash pack solo, LoS the healers... hunters using aspect of the pack during Ta'yaks tornado phase, and fools with pheromones running under Garalon back and forth the entire fight... I just... I do try to do my best in there 'cause I want to get in and out asap but there's times like today where I just get the urge to zone out and zombie my way through it, don't give a shit etc.

I really hope these Flexi raids mean I never have to do LFR again.

/7 months late rant

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Can someone toss me a scroll of resurrection? I've been wanting to get back into the game after not playing for a couple years.

brischultz@gmail.com

Thank you.

Not sure if anyone had sent anything your way yet so I just shot you one.

Though as a heads up with the offers it gives, I'm gonna take a stab and say you're *probably* not interested in my realm.

Onikaan

Had a terrible urge to play WoW again. Not played since Cata.

Any heads up on what's going to be different?

Thanks guys.

ZenaxPure

Any heads up on what's going to be different?

Nearly everything? I dunno, game always changes a lot each expansion, MoP has probably had more drastic changes/new features than any previous xpac though. Would probably take too long to list every little change or new addition honestly haha.

Onikaan

Sent one.

Thanks!

Nearly everything? I dunno, game always changes a lot each expansion, MoP has probably had more drastic changes/new features than any previous xpac though. Would probably take too long to list every little change or new addition honestly haha.

Fair enough. Pretty daunting idea to come back after all this time, no idea.

Why can I see players from other realms? Seems like I'm limited in my interactions with them too.

Tamanon

Banned
Thanks!

Why can I see players from other realms? Seems like I'm limited in my interactions with them too.

Cross-Realm Zones. A lot of the leveling zones have multiple servers on there so you can see more activity in the world.

And after being gone for a while, I always find it easier to start from level 1 personally, at least to play for a while.

Berordn

Thanks!

That's cross-realm, which they introduced to make the world a bit more inhabited than it was in Cata. You can group up with any character on any server and you'll be together out in the world. You can also run dungeons and older raids with them once you're eligible for them.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Okay. About 10 minutes ago, I hit 90.

Wat do?

I want to get myself geared up to run heroics and do LFR. I don't plan on doing traditional raiding (was always difficult in the past for me schedule wise. LFR is a godsend), but I want to be pushing myself to my limit and not the mage equivalent of the afk-autoattackers I've heard people complain about either.

Where should I go from here to get ready for that? What about dailies/important reps/etc.? I haven't been at max level since wrath, and this time I'm not playing with a group of friends to help eachother out so yah. Where do I go to start the legendary questline I hear people talk about/the Hordebreaker/Darkspear Revolutionary stuff?

cdyhybrid

Okay. About 10 minutes ago, I hit 90.

Wat do?

I want to get myself geared up to run heroics and do LFR. I don't plan on doing traditional raiding (was always difficult in the past for me schedule wise. LFR is a godsend), but I want to be pushing myself to my limit and not the mage equivalent of the afk-autoattackers I've heard people complain about either.

Where should I go from here to get ready for that? What about dailies/important reps/etc.? I haven't been at max level since wrath, and this time I'm not playing with a group of friends to help eachother out so yah. Where do I go to start the legendary questline I hear people talk about/the Hordebreaker/Darkspear Revolutionary stuff?

http://www.icy-veins.com/forums/topic/2221-brand-new-90-heres-your-53-to-do-list/

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?

Hixx

Absolutely perfect. Just what I was looking for <3 Thank you so much.

Now everything else I need to know is specifically mage related. Hopefully I get some half-decent responses on the official forums :p

That guide is great. I'm on 20 hours at 90 and have 476 ilvl (spent a fair few hours farming for transmog gear too). Do a few more dailies to get myself enough valour for the 522 neck and I should be able to get into TOT LFR. It's crazy quick now.

zychi

Banned
What add-on is the one that makes the main bar into a bigger grid in the middle of the screen? I see a bunch of arena players on twitch use it and I can't get a straight answer of what it is

ZenaxPure

The second post in that thread mentions it briefly but the PVP honor gear is really easy and fast to get. If you have any excess honor or JP from the past (convert the JP to honor) buy some pvp stuff. The armor is ilvl 476 and the weapons are ilvl 470. You can get into all the tier 14 raids just from that gear. The neck piece and rings especially are ultra cheap, like 1250 honor I believe, and at this point in the expansion you get LOADS of JP from 5 mans now, it's like 100 JP per boss before guild perks I believe.

What add-on is the one that makes the main bar into a bigger grid in the middle of the screen? I see a bunch of arena players on twitch use it and I can't get a straight answer of what it is

A lot of them do that, bartender and dominos to name a couple. I use dominos myself because it's really fucking easy to use but I assume others work just fine as well.

zychi

Banned
The second post in that thread mentions it briefly but the PVP honor gear is really easy and fast to get. If you have any excess honor or JP from the past (convert the JP to honor) buy some pvp stuff. The armor is ilvl 476 and the weapons are ilvl 470. You can get into all the tier 14 raids just from that gear. The neck piece and rings especially are ultra cheap, like 1250 honor I believe, and at this point in the expansion you get LOADS of JP from 5 mans now, it's like 100 JP per boss before guild perks I believe.

A lot of them do that, bartender and dominos to name a couple. I use dominos myself because it's really fucking easy to use but I assume others work just fine as well.

How do you configure it to do that? I have bartender installed, and can't figure it out. If ya could walk me through dominos I'd switch to that.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman

main bar

what do you mean? Action bar? Health Bar?

Action Bar you just make a giant action bar and put it up there, health bar thats just the default UI.

cdyhybrid

Does weak auras replace the action bars? Never used it myself but when he said "turn main bar into a bigger grid" I assume he is talking about action bars since that's what it sounded like but /shrug.

We need more details!

Doesn't replace it, but you can set up icons in the middle of the screen to look like the action bars, reflect cooldowns, etc.

Tarazet

Getting more gear certainly makes the normal encounters a bit of a joke. After we killed Lei Shen last week, we had two people missing this week because of exams. So we pugged an undergeared Disc Priest, brought in our less geared Warlock, and killed the first 8 bosses in about 2 hours this week. Only one wipe on Tortos with about 200k health left when someone missed a kick, it was heartbreaking.

As a bear tank I did 220k DPS on Tortos and 120k on most other fights, beating out most of our DPS. It's positively silly how much that Capacitive gem contributes to our output.

How long does it need to be before you get one of those free 80 character xfer and time options become available? 3months?

Scroll of Resurrections are what gives someone a free level 80 character and a free character transfer for that character, along with seven days of game time and a free, exclusive mount.

Eligibility is still only for those with accounts that haven't been active since March 4, 2012.

Scroll of Resurrections are what gives someone a free level 80 character and a free character transfer for that character, along with seven days of game time and a free, exclusive mount.

Eligibility is still only for those with accounts that haven't been active since March 4, 2012.

Ah dang. Guess Ill take the free 7 days offer that I got in an email then, providing I can remember my password...

Magnus

That speed guide to get geared quick at 90 is awesome. Will employ for future 90's!

Is it super sad that my number one impetus for getting one or two more 90s going is to increase my weekly chances at the fucking Ashes of Al'ar?

:(

Question: Is there any new word on Xmogging the appearance of legendaries onto matching weapon types? I want to see my beloved Val'anyr again.

That speed guide to get geared quick at 90 is awesome. Will employ for future 90's!

Is it super sad that my number one impetus for getting one or two more 90s going is to increase my weekly chances at the fucking Ashes of Al'ar?

Question: Is there any new word on Xmogging the appearance of legendaries onto matching weapon types? I want to see my beloved Val'anyr again.

But do you really want to see dozens of Thunderfuries everywhere you look =X

cdyhybrid

Last I saw they said they might allow it in the future but I never got the vibe it was an imminent thing or anything like that.

ZenaxPure

But do you really want to see dozens of Thunderfuries everywhere you look =X

Yeah... this is kinda my worry about it too.

On one hand I really want to transmog my daggers into my FotF because those daggers are sweet, but on the other hand I dread seeing an endless parade of thunderfury and such. Bloodfang/Judgement on literally every Rogue/Paladin is bad enough.

cdyhybrid

Seeing the same legendaries everywhere doesn't bother me. It won't be as bad as you think, actually. People wanna be unique, and they'll get bored of using the same weapon as everyone else. Besides, this is really the only way these legendaries will ever be seen again regularly.

Magnus

Val seems to be one of the rarer ones; I wish to wield that shit with pride! When I'm healing trash, I sometimes throw it on just to see my delicious bubbles again.

The reactions it gets are great, haha.

ZenaxPure

I just had my first shot at Hexos.

Jesus Christ Blizzard what the hell were you thinking.

It's really not that bad, I ended up getting him in 10ish attempts. The mazes comes in very obvious sets. Once you get used to each set you can do it more on instinct than anything else.

It's really not that bad, I ended up getting him in 10ish attempts. The mazes comes in very obvious sets. Once you get used to each set you can do it more on instinct than anything else.

Am I not wanting the mazes to hit me in the direction of where the boss is facing or not to strike the boss? For some reason my timing has been really far off because I die almost instantly every time and I think it's because I'm doing it wrongly due to that. I believe my focus has been on making sure the maze doesn't hit Hexos himself and that's probably the reason I'm failing? Or I'm just really bad at timing it. In my three attempts my longest was like eight seconds or maybe ten.

Yesterday I did the Barrens weekly and got my boxing glove quest but since it rewards 50 valor I'm waiting for my valor to reset before giving that one a shot. Those commanders for the weekly are really annoying. I did a couple caravans, five commanders, and just did some grinding for the rest of the mats. It didn't take too long and I almost just enjoyed the grind more than the commanders or caravans.

Also, in my continued efforts to run raids for mount chances I did my first Throne of the Four Winds yesterday. Went in by myself not remembering what the debuffs are when you attempt to solo the three bosses and was immediately silenced and taking hefty damage, heh. I was really close to making it back out the entrance but died a couple seconds from reaching it. Got together a few people and we blazed through it with zero trouble at all and we'll likely try for it weekly.

Now to figure out good ways to get a willing group for occasional Ulduar, ICC, and Dragon Soul runs. I might just have to ignore those until the next expansion and hitting the next level cap trivializes most of those raids. Are any of the bosses in ICC optional to reach the Lich King? I'm assuming each wing needs cleared. At least Ulduar only requires around 2/3 of the bosses to be beaten.

ZenaxPure

Am I not wanting the mazes to hit me in the direction of where the boss is facing or not to strike the boss? For some reason my timing has been really far off because I die almost instantly every time and I think it's because I'm doing it wrongly due to that. I believe my focus has been on making sure the maze doesn't hit Hexos himself and that's probably the reason I'm failing? Or I'm just really bad at timing it. In my three attempts my longest was like eight seconds or maybe ten.

Honestly I am not sure if you die if it hits you or hexos, but, I just focused on my character model and was fine. I assume your focus on either one works though since you guys are always facing the same direction.

It's just a thing that takes practice though, like I mentioned before there are obviously "sets" that he uses, the order he uses them seem to be random, but, once you see all of them you will have a better idea of it. There is only one set that I think is insanely difficult, the one with a bunch of short circles in rapid succession where it's so fast it's hard to follow.

Oh also per usual feel free to hit me up if you need help with ICC or ulduar or whatever, I am always down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom