• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarazet

Activated my 10 day MoP trail and started playing as a Panda monk. Holy fuck balls what a boring class. I'm level 12 now and just finished all the starter quests (which were very boring as well, compared to the goblin starters). Does it get any better or am I better off spending my 10 day trial playing another class?

Also, are talents gone?

I have a level 87 Monk. He will be my 5th 90. The amount of damage he's doing to mobs out in the world is unbelievable. Yeah, he's got the Spear of Xuen, but so did my Druid, and he's doing twice as much damage.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
By the way, anyone have been unable to votekick for the past month because of always getting a "cannot get kicked for another 2 hours" message?

I suppose i get that because i votekicked too much in LFR in the past, but isnt that suppose to come back to normal sometimes? I'm surprised i only got that right now and not months ago, its not like ive been votekicking more than usual recently.

Sec0nd

I'm going to assume you're Windwalker. But most classes are relatively boring early on, they like to layer the abilities on. Monks are fun though, IMO. It just takes a while to get all the abilities you need. But once you do, they do things rather efficiently.

Yeah I guess they are all a bit boring during the early levels. Difference is that other classes get interesting and different looking attacks compared to the Monk imo. Monks just got random attacks that make him smack dudes. I don't really intent on playing longer than the trial lasts so I'm probably going to start a new character. What character do you guys think is the most fun during the early levels?

ZenaxPure

Yeah I guess they are all a bit boring during the early levels. Difference is that other classes get interesting and different looking attacks compared to the Monk imo. Monks just got random attacks that make him smack dudes.

Not gonna lie this made me laugh considering for melee classes monks have the most interesting and varied amount of animations since each attack has a unique animation where as stuff like warriors/rogues just get stock race animations (dual wield warrior looks exactly the same as rogue outside like 2 abilities if you are the same race) and stuff like paladin/enhance shaman use those same animations but with weird sparkles on 80% of their attacks.

I am pretty jealous of monks as a rogue, their animations are amazing.

Also to answer your question: there are no fun classes at early levels imo, not a single one. Most classes are still getting key abilities in their rotation in the 60 or 70s range. It's probably one of my more annoying complaints with the game, I almost wish WoW had some sort of monster power toggle like D3 and access to abilities sooner if you wanted. The low level quest experience is not fun unless it is literally your first time playing the game.

RPGCrazied

DPS should never attack Horridon right? I got yelled at my first time, cause I was attacking it. Then it targeted me an was going to charge. I felt bad. My second time in I didn't touch the boss and just did adds, until the named troll came out then I killed that. By that time Horridon was basically dead.

Sciz

DPS should never attack Horridon right? I got yelled at my first time, cause I was attacking it. Then it targeted me an was going to charge. I felt bad. My second time in I didn't touch the boss and just did adds, until the named troll came out then I killed that. By that time Horridon was basically dead.

Adds take priority, and certain adds take priority over others. Horridon is what you kill when there's nothing else left. Being charged is entirely random, though.

RPGCrazied

Adds take priority, and certain adds take priority over others. Horridon is what you kill when there's nothing else left. Being charged is entirely random, though.

What adds need to die first? Spellcasters? I see a rogue type, and hunter type. Maybe even a warrior type.

RPGCrazied

For lfr, the only one that matters is the second door's gurubushi venom priests. They're venom volley can be annoying (and needs to be interrupted).

Thanks for the tip.

Also, damn that dancing steel enchant isn't cheap. 3k, lol. I went ahead it put it on my claw, won't be getting that fist weapon in ToT anytime soon.

TheYanger

Yeah I guess they are all a bit boring during the early levels. Difference is that other classes get interesting and different looking attacks compared to the Monk imo. Monks just got random attacks that make him smack dudes. I don't really intent on playing longer than the trial lasts so I'm probably going to start a new character. What character do you guys think is the most fun during the early levels?

You can play below level...30? 20? indefinitely, don't need a trial to do that. The trial is so you can use higher level toons to actually see panda zones afaik, if that's an option. Otherwise, no real time pressure. DPS monks are pretty simplistic, fun and effective, but simple. Tanks and Healers are complex and really fun. Low levels? who knows, you get like 3 buttons that do anything.

What adds need to die first? Spellcasters? I see a rogue type, and hunter type. Maybe even a warrior type.

After you've been in the fight a couple times you'll grow familiar with the adds a bit more. Typically I focus on the one's with most health because they also tend to be the most dangerous. On the first door I believe it's the guys that form the sand pools. The third door it's the frozen warlords, I believe, that drop the frozen orbs. Feel free to hit Horridon a bit at the very beginning for about twenty seconds before the first door opens and then in between doors when all the adds have been killed. Dinomancers obviously are your main focus when they come down and click the orb it drops at 50% health if you can and nobody else has done it as that's what gets Horridon to crash into the gates.

That fight is progressively becoming my most frustrating one because people are so concerned with being #1 on the damage meters that they only attack Horridon and things can get really messy. Especially because a door will be open and the war god will get spawned and things can go to Hell fairly quickly.

If it says Horridon is going to charge you you're best move would be to run to the side away from other groups of people but it's not super important. A lot of people just don't care and soak the hits because they don't want to move. Regardless, as said, the charge is done randomly to people and just means that he's going to double swipe where he charges the person so if it's you keep running sideways to get out of the swipe.

You know what? I really can't wait for Flex raids as that'll hopefully allow fights you don't beat your head against but also require proper mechanics and awareness. And it's essentially with people you know, or at least have to be more accountable, so they won't play as stupidly.

Why don't you jump into the other wings? I know from your previous posts that you're typically very cautious moving forward with your LFR runs but I think you'd enjoy the possibility of all the gear you could be getting from doing nine other boss fights. And I doubt anyone's going to call you out or get upset about your performance as long as you're not running forward and pulling the boss before people are ready. And just be open and ask someone to whisper you fight details and usually at least one person will give you the absolute basics you need to know, be it either who to attack, attacks to watch out for, or particular movement needed or something. And just be ready to die. It's your first time in there. Most of us died on our first time on certain bosses. I died multiple times on Durumu before I finally recognized what to do correctly. Ji Kun was a mess as well. The more LFR you do the more comfortable you'll get and more confident you'll be going forward.

Ultratech

Basically, it boils down to:

-Adds up? Kill adds!
-Dinomancer up? KILL HIM DEAD and grab the orb.
-No adds up? DPS Horridon!
-Don't stand in front or behind Horridon (unless you're Tanking)

(As long as you make sure not to drop him below 30% before the doors are finished because that's actually a concern with high gear levels)

Heh, I was in a group that actually did this the other night. Horridon apparently hit 30% right as the 4th gate was wrecked, and Jalak came out.

Hardly knew what was going on before the Tank on Horridon just dropped. (Luckily, I was able to step in, tank, and get a brez on him)

Activated my 10 day MoP trail and started playing as a Panda monk. Holy fuck balls what a boring class. I'm level 12 now and just finished all the starter quests (which were very boring as well, compared to the goblin starters). Does it get any better or am I better off spending my 10 day trial playing another class?

Also, are talents gone?

Heal Monk is one if not the most boring healing class so far.

RPGCrazied

Why don't you jump into the other wings? I know from your previous posts that you're typically very cautious moving forward with your LFR runs but I think you'd enjoy the possibility of all the gear you could be getting from doing nine other boss fights. And I doubt anyone's going to call you out or get upset about your performance as long as you're not running forward and pulling the boss before people are ready. And just be open and ask someone to whisper you fight details and usually at least one person will give you the absolute basics you need to know, be it either who to attack, attacks to watch out for, or particular movement needed or something. And just be ready to die. It's your first time in there. Most of us died on our first time on certain bosses. I died multiple times on Durumu before I finally recognized what to do correctly. Ji Kun was a mess as well. The more LFR you do the more comfortable you'll get and more confident you'll be going forward.

I barely got past the first 3 bosses. I want to get them farmable before moving on. The only one I have a problem with is Horridon, the other ones seem easy to me. And since the weapon I want can drop from the first set of bosses, I don't need to move on just yet. I don't want to full clear ToT until I'm on the quest to pick up those quest runestone thingies.

Ultratech

I barely got past the first 3 bosses. I want to get them farmable before moving on. The only one I have a problem with is Horridon, the other ones seem easy to me. And since the weapon I want can drop from the first set of bosses, I don't need to move on just yet. I don't want to full clear ToT until I'm on the quest to pick up those quest runestone thingies.

You might as well, since after the 3k Valor quest and some quests after that, you're gonna have to do another quest collecting Secrets of the Empire, which drop from ToT bosses.
(Which as mentioned previously, is gonna take several weeks on its own.)

Also, here's a little collection of short guides to each ToT LFR Wing:
Throne of Thunder LFR Guides

Cipherr

Whats the easiest class to tank with? My mage just hit max level and I am going to want a tank leveled too.

I have a 85 prot pally, but I need something as simple as possible, so Im not against grabbing all heirlooms and leveling something else if need be. I am really bad a tanking. I have done DPS at a high level forever as a hunter, but tanking/healing is totally new to me, and nearly required learning the game from the ground up again.

Sec0nd

You can play below level...30? 20? indefinitely, don't need a trial to do that. The trial is so you can use higher level toons to actually see panda zones afaik, if that's an option. Otherwise, no real time pressure. DPS monks are pretty simplistic, fun and effective, but simple. Tanks and Healers are complex and really fun. Low levels? who knows, you get like 3 buttons that do anything.

Oh what the heck lol. I did not know this.

ch0mp

Whats the easiest class to tank with? My mage just hit max level and I am going to want a tank leveled too.

I have a 85 prot pally, but I need something as simple as possible, so Im not against grabbing all heirlooms and leveling something else if need be. I am really bad a tanking. I have done DPS at a high level forever as a hunter, but tanking/healing is totally new to me, and nearly required learning the game from the ground up again.
I do believe, although not from experience, that pally tanking is one of the easier classes to play.

profit

I'm digging the T16 for warriors.

warrior_tier16_male.jpg

uzit88

Is there a active gaf guild around? Alliance or Horde? I am looking to jump back and need a fresh start. My 90 is on a dead server and have no desire going back to him lol!

Let me know server name etc :)

profit

Is there a active gaf guild around? Alliance or Horde? I am looking to jump back and need a fresh start. My 90 is on a dead server and have no desire going back to him lol!

Let me know server name etc :)

I dont really think there is as of this moment. I'm pretty sure that every attempt to do it has failed. You can play together across server thanks to battle.net though.

ZenaxPure

I dont really think there is as of this moment. I'm pretty sure that every attempt to do it has failed. You can play together across server thanks to battle.net though.

Yeah. Not much point in a proper guild to be honest. As long as you are the same faction and region you can group up with anyone on any server to do like 90% of the content in the game.

I jumped back in, and rather than playing any of my 85's I wanted something new so I decided on a belf pally (arthas), gotta say I'm really enjoying it so far; it's been a while since I've leveled a toon from 0. I've got all the heirloom items + the guild bonuses so I think I hit 20 in 3 hours last night. When did they make such a big change to the way leveling works? Is all of 1-80 this quick? What about after 80? Getting excited just talking about it, plan to go Holy at 85-90.

ZenaxPure

When did they make such a big change to the way leveling works? Is all of 1-80 this quick? What about after 80? Getting excited just talking about it, plan to go Holy at 85-90.

They gradually make changes to how leveling works each expansion. Vanilla levels got a xp nerf at some point in BC, heirlooms made things faster in wrath, more heirlooms in cata + redesigned world made the flow faster, MoP reduced xp for cata levels and also a while back even reduced the xp needed from 85-90 by 33%. Done a few other things as well I believe, just can't recall when.

They tend to make the leveling experience faster each expansion so you don't have to spend years getting to max level.

Tarazet

Paladin tanking means timing an active ability with a 3 second duration to negate boss' abilities, which can be tricky. But no other tank gets active mitigation that powerful, and Sacred Shield is outright broken, it's so good.. but the easiest tank to play is a Death Knight. You have a very simple rotation, refresh your diseases with Blood Boil every 30 seconds or so, and heal back the damage you take with Death Strike healing. They're not the most powerful or the most survivable tanks, but they are the easiest.

They gradually make changes to how leveling works each expansion. Vanilla levels got a xp nerf at some point in BC, heirlooms made things faster in wrath, more heirlooms in cata + redesigned world made the flow faster, MoP reduced xp for cata levels and also a while back even reduced the xp needed from 85-90 by 33%. Done a few other things as well I believe, just can't recall when.

They tend to make the leveling experience faster each expansion so you don't have to spend years getting to max level.

Ahh, I see. Yeah I knew about the other expacs but I did not know about the 33% cut from 85-90, that's really good to hear as well. Hopefully I can get to 80 over the weekend :D

mclem

Each door has trashy adds coming out from the door, three major adds that jump down from above (one on its own), then a dinomancer.

The biggest threat is generally those major adds, they've usually got an ability that leaves void zones all over the place. On the first door, it's Wastewalkers; they leave sand traps which grow and slow. Second door, Venom Priests, with a nasty AOE poison attack. Third door, Frozen Warlords, who drop painful frozen orbs. Fourth door, Warbears, who have Beast Shamans mounted on them; when the bear dies, the shaman comes into play and drops lightning totems.

We had most difficulty when learning the fight with the Venom Priests and the third door in general (trash mobs randomly fixate on that one and deal a nasty stacking disease) . Planning for interrupts on the venom priests and ensuring they die before they do the AOE poison bolt or spawn a Venomous Effusion (a clone of themselves with the same abilities but less health) is effective. On the third door is when we use heroism to get rid of the poor-control section as rapidly as possible.

We also try to keep people grouped as much as possible so the trash mobs which come from each gate go through the tank to get to the DPS. I'm always having to prompt people to take into account the tank's position when placing themselves!

All that's for Normal, mind. LFR is significantly simpler!

mclem

I do believe, although not from experience, that pally tanking is one of the easier classes to play.

It certainly *used* to be, but it's got considerably more involved with MoP. It's probably still easiest to tank adequately with, but it's just as hard as the others to tank well with.

Bizazedo

The nerf to the HP of the adds on Horridon was a weird surprise (none of us read the notes) last night when we started this weeks run. They die soooo fast now.

Cipherr

Paladin tanking means timing an active ability with a 3 second duration to negate boss' abilities, which can be tricky. But no other tank gets active mitigation that powerful, and Sacred Shield is outright broken, it's so good.. but the easiest tank to play is a Death Knight. You have a very simple rotation, refresh your diseases with Blood Boil every 30 seconds or so, and heal back the damage you take with Death Strike healing. They're not the most powerful or the most survivable tanks, but they are the easiest.

This is the part that bothers me. I think about trying to time that stupid shield slam thing in order to mitigate boss swings and it even SOUNDS annoying. But I can see where it would be strong.

I dunno man. I like my paladin, but I hate what they did to the rotation/skills/feel from Cata to Pandarea. Makes me sick....

I find brewmaster tanking to be pretty straight forward. Just need to keep Shuffle up and use your cooldowns as needed(which is true for every tank).

Death Knight is pretty straight forward as well once you get used to the rune system (if you are new to DK).

This is the part that bothers me. I think about trying to time that stupid shield slam thing in order to mitigate boss swings and it even SOUNDS annoying. But I can see where it would be strong.

I dunno man. I like my paladin, but I hate what they did to the rotation/skills/feel from Cata to Pandarea. Makes me sick....

You mean use some skills the charge your bar then use your shield to deplete the bar and again?

I m a bit confused with that mechanic

TheYanger

Pally tanking is a joke, it runs off of the same broken system as ret basically. The fact that you can have a 'rotation' as a tank is sad, it's basically the same for druids. Complete braindead specs, still somewhat fun but yeah. DKs and Brewmasters definitely have the highest skill caps in terms of having an effect on your survivability, and warriors are kind of in the middle.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Pally tanking is a joke, it runs off of the same broken system as ret basically. The fact that you can have a 'rotation' as a tank is sad, it's basically the same for druids. Complete braindead specs, still somewhat fun but yeah. DKs and Brewmasters definitely have the highest skill caps in terms of having an effect on your survivability, and warriors are kind of in the middle.

Brewmaster is the most fun tank imho. :3

Ripclawe

Banned
so I have been soloing a lot of the instances that i passed up since the beginning of the game and I noticed just a drop in storytelling and fun from the classic to Cata that I never noticed before.

The best way to sum it up is class/some of burning crusade had character, but wrath/cata felt like work. You have to do it but you don't have fun.

Ultratech

Heh, this makes me think of my so-called Bear tanking which basically boils down to hitting everything (Thrash, Maul, Lacerate, etc.), activating Savage Defense (or Frenzied Regeneration) when needed, and trying not to die.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom