• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onikaan

Keep thinking about coming back to play through Pandaria.

Where does it rank in the list of expansions? (Your personal opinion, ofcourse).

cdyhybrid

Where does it rank in the list of expansions? (Your personal opinion, ofcourse).

It's probably the best expansion yet, which is why I've stayed subscribed longer than any other expansion aside from maybe Wrath.

RPGCrazied

The worst one. People will say Cataclysm is the worst, but I actually like having a big villain to fight at the end of expansion. And Deathwing is boss. MoP really doesn't have that, well maybe Garrosh, but not really.

Doesn't hold a candle to WoTLK or BC though.

cdyhybrid

The worst one. People will say Cataclysm is the worst, but I actually like having a big villain to fight at the end of expansion. And Deathwing is boss. MoP really doesn't have that, well maybe Garrosh, but not really.

Doesn't hold a candle to WoTLK or BC though.

The leader of one of the player factions, who is involved (in some fashion) with one of the major villains of the entire series (an Old God) isn't a big villain?

RPGCrazied

The leader of one of the player factions, who is involved (in some fashion) with one of the major villains of the entire series (an Old God) isn't a big villain?

I guess, but not as big as Deathwing, Arthas, Kil'jaeden. He said our opinions. :) Of course its going to differ between people.

Draxal

Tied with wotlk as the best. Weaker story, but so many new additional features released in a timely matter compensates for it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Wrath was the best one. Pandaria is pretty cool, but I think we're hitting feature saturation.

I believe you will find very few people that actually think Pandaria is the worst and in general most will believe it's the best. The question has been asked multiple times in this thread and that's the typical way it turns out.

And I'd agree. I think Pandaria has been fantastic. The questing and world itself has been mostly great. Dungeons fall flat for me for both feeling recycled (doesn't really matter that they've explained that the dungeons were often made first and then put into the world, it just means you don't feel as excited moving through a dungeon since it's "been seen" already). Scenarios are something I've warmed up to. I still don't think they're perfect and I think they should offer something extra possible in the goody bag at the end since there's no other loot (perhaps a chance for a pet/mount/etc.). The raids have all be rather good. Flex raiding is getting added with 5.4 and that seems like a great extra step for the raids.

Really I'd say it's pretty much top in most all categories except dungeons. Heroic scenarios offer a proper challenge compared to dungeons, though, and in general I just like the flow of a scenario better. Three DPS can go in and make it through. If any other roles are brought in, though, it's easy to adapt as a tank does just fine and a healer won't feel useless, either.

The world itself is extremely improved with great zones that are fantastic to explore with a ton of rares that all have a chance of dropping a unique item, a load of lore stuff if you're interested in that, hidden treasures, and simply tons of stuff to find and do.

Onikaan

Interesting.

I'd agree that WOTLK was the best expansion.

If I'm coming back it'll be mostly to level (with other returning friends) and Pvp.

I started with Vanilla and this is the longest I've been away from the game (must be a year now). Will I settle back in quickly or can you share any tips to get me back in the flow? I'm concerned I'll be overly rusty, and that it'll ruin my enjoyment.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Interesting.

If I'm coming back it'll be mostly to level (with other returning friends) and Pvp.

I started with Vanilla and this is the longest I've been away from the game (must be a year now). Will I settle back in quickly or can you share any tips to get me back in the flow? I'm concerned I'll be overly rusty, and that it'll ruin my enjoyment.

Its pretty easy to get back into the flow of things honestly. And while I can understand RPGCrazied's view from a story perspective, in pretty much every *other* regard it is arguably the best expansion yet. And I've definitely warmed up to the lore of pandaria as I've been playing it.

And if you've been away that long, you can always send me your email in a PM and I could send you a scroll of resurrection >.>

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Interesting.

Other than class overhauls, the game isn't materially different from Cataclysm. It is true that a lot of classes have been overhauled to the point of being unfamiliar, but not much you can do about that.

Onikaan

And if you've been away that long, you can always send me your email in a PM and I could send you a scroll of resurrection >.>

Thanks, dude. I already re-subbed (for a month to see how things go). But thanks anyway!

Other than class overhauls, the game isn't materially different from Cataclysm. It is true that a lot of classes have been overhauled to the point of being unfamiliar, but not much you can do about that.

What have they done to my Druid? I'm scared to look.

Angry Grimace

Thanks, dude. I already re-subbed (for a month to see how things go). But thanks anyway!

What have they done to my Druid? I'm scared to look.

There are four talent specs available now. If you recall, you no longer have "trees" but instead you have a fixed set of three talents at every 15 levels. A lot of abilities that may have once been baseline or spec locked are no longer baseline/spec-locked and only appear within certain specs (and vice versa), e.g. Treants are available in all specs as a talent and do different things than they used to, but heal spells beyond Rejuv and HT are gone for other specs than Restoration.

I'm not a druid player, so I couldn't comment on all of them. I think the actual class itself plays pretty similarly to Cataclysm if I recall.

Berordn

I'm not a druid player, so I couldn't comment on all of them. I think the actual class itself plays pretty similarly to Cataclysm if I recall.

Yeah, nothing has changed dramatically for any of the individual specs and rotations are mostly the same, Guardian being a minor exception thanks to the AM changes.

CassSept

WotLK was fantastic... until you hit 80. Then everything went downhill. First tier was terrible; second was amazing but at the same time was a relevant tier for the shortest time out of all tiers (greatest injustice in WoW history); ToC was... ToC, a new instance and raid in a single room (+1 for Anub) and raiding the same raid 5+ times a week (because by the time 3.2 hit everyone had at least one well geared alt, mostly thanks to 3.0); ICC was somewhat disappointing (most of the bosses felt uninspired, especially coming this soon after Uldu) and remained the relevant content for a YEAR.

Leveling and overall design of the continent was great, but after that feature wise it fell flat and mostly only became worse as the expansion went on.

I think we can all agree that MoP is the most consistent and developed expansion of them all. Pandaria is amazingly design, and while it is smaller than Northrend it's way more compact and filled to the brim with content (and doing Treasure achievements made me appreciate it even more). I don't want to rank it before we get 5.4, but at the moment I'd say MoP>TBC>WotLK>Cata. Really.

Slayerx

I think MoP is by far the best expansion in terms of content they delivered. Just going through what you can do and the list of features is crazy. Many people point to BC but what was there to do really after the first 6 months? You got all your keys/reps, you got the badge of justice gear, all you do is log in for raids for the rest of the week or AFK in Shat. Although to be fair a lot of people did arena back then.

MoP seems to be a lot more ambitious in terms of features: scenarios, heroic scenarios, brawler's guild, challenge modes, player farm, new forms of content like 5.1 quest chains and battlefield barrens/soon new and improved version in Timeless Isle, 5.4 features like flexi raids, proving grounds and merged realms, pet battles which is a game in itself, I personally spend a silly amount of times hunting new and improved rare mobs. I don't think any expansion can touch this realistically. I also think Pandaria is probably the best designed continent, the geography makes sense, zones are separated organically, the vision is maintained throughout in music and aesthetics. Quest flow and being able to jump from hub to hub is a massive step in the right direction after wotlk and cata.

I don't know if it's been datamined yet, but does anyone have an idea of what the mats are gonna be for the engineer mech yet?

Because I kinda need one, and I feel like it's probably going to be a good idea to start farming for them now.

Berordn

I don't know if it's been datamined yet, but does anyone have an idea of what the mats are gonna be for the engineer mech yet?

Because I kinda need one, and I feel like it's probably going to be a good idea to start farming for them now.

30 Living Steel, and 30 Peculiar Energy Source

But as far as rare and expensive mounts go, it's not terribly much. I wouldn't be surprised if they slapped a few of the 16k orbs onto it to up the price a bit.

ZenaxPure

WotLK was fantastic... until you hit 80. Then everything went downhill.

It's pretty funny, this is exactly how I feel about TBC. The leveling experience was pretty great, quest design was MUCH improved (though bad compared by todays standards, but significantly better than vanilla), the normal 5 mans were fun and felt like they served a purpose in the story, and seeing all the new Sci-Fi landscapes was a huge change of pace (Nagrand is still one of my favorite zones in the game). It even got better when I went into Kara which is still one of the best raids they've ever made.

But then, SSC/Tk rolls around. Forget for a second about all the awful attunement stuff that got in the way of recruitment. But here I just went from Kara which had some really unique and interesting fights (Netherspite, Opera Event, Chess Event, etc.) to a raid where about half the bosses only had 1 or 2 mechanics (this dude pounds the ground and throws balls, this guy does nothing but spin in a circle and make you fight your inner demon, oh no he farted on me!). So fucking awful mechanically and the fact that SSC/TK shipped without even being fully completed/tested. Never forget the world first Vashj kill where when they went to loot her ANOTHER Vashj spawned on top of her and started attacking them. What a joke. That's not even including that after those "fun" raids you had the worst raid Blizzard has ever crafted waiting for you to fight wave after wave of fucking zombies. Honestly thought TBC was shit after coming off Naxx 40 man which was absolutely stellar, and well, wasn't a buggy piece of garbage they had to patch multiple times before it worked.

But I agree, MoP is awesome, I still stand by it will be the best expansion as long as they don't fuck 5.4 up (and so far it's looking good). My only disappointment so far is with half of 5.3 really. Heroic Scenarios and the new Brawler's Guild stuff is amazing, but I still think they extremely fucked up the Barrens stuff. The content itself is.... fine, but, the lack of any good rewards like a Mount/unique transmog gear combined with a storyline that took about an hour to finish was just really underwhelming to me. I did it a grand total of 2 times on my rogue and I haven't gone back since.

Slayerx

Yeah, I don't understand at all the lack of rewards for Barrens stuff. I did it a few times to get all the vanity rewards but despite somewhat enjoying going around the zone killing commanders there was no point anymore. Blizzard should learn by now that no-one is going to do anything for "fun" :p Supposedly Timeless Isle combines 5.1 and 5.3 but with more activities?

Lain

So I just saw the solo Sha of Fear kill over at MMO-champion and thought it was a great achievement. I didn't think such a feat could be done. That DK Raegwyn has awesome gears, but still that was something.

Decided I'd start camping for TLPD when I'm done with daily stuff by running in the background and listening for the alert. I've since been in the zone when someone else got the TLPD kill yesterday and have had the next three Vyragosa kills (all around ten hours apart, give or take a couple). Just got one kill about an hour ago and won't likely be aiming to do much tomorrow since I'll be busy but at this pace I don't think it's too unlikely I'll snag the TLPD before long. It's giving me plenty of reading time, though I'm also watching videos and such while lingering in the background. And I've made a couple camping buddies, heh.

Ah yes, the TLPD. I so want that but camping... nah.

Pretty easy to do without having to be bored with it. Have the npcscan add-on. Go into windowed mode (I prefer this for quicker swap to window). Turn off music and ambience. Crank up volume. Park yourself at a spawn point. Then do anything else you want and remember to wiggle your character every thirty minutes or whatever so you don't get auto disconnected.

All three times I killed Vyragosa I wasn't actually staring at the game when it popped. I got my last kill while watching Daily Dota from Giant Bomb. It's a fairly low stress way of going about it.

And I still take care of my other stuff. I did my usual dailies and finished getting the last 320 valor I needed to cap for the week. I just timed that stuff after a Vyragosa kill since I knew there wouldn't be an immediate respawn or anything.

Loxley

So for poops and giggles I decided to start an alt on an RP server, with the aim of playing differently than I usually do. I'm playing with as few mods as possible (really only a cooldown counter and Titan Panel) and I'm going to actually make it a point to take my time and read the quest text as well as not just rely on my map to pin-point the place I need to go. I guess the aim here is just try and enjoy the leveling experience a little more and try and take in the lore on the way.

I'm curious to see how long I can keep this going before I fall back to how I usually play of just skipping quest text and trying to finish the 1-90 content as quickly as possible.

Tarazet

Pretty good chance I'll be doing the 600 cloak quest tonight. Should I do the tank or DPS one? (Feral)

I'll most likely be taking the tank cloak anyway, since when it comes to the legendary piece, I feel like Druids are really missing that strong survival cooldown much more than we're missing that little bit of extra AoE damage. Plus the stats are not that different..

Sciz

Pretty good chance I'll be doing the 600 cloak quest tonight. Should I do the tank or DPS one? (Feral)

I'll most likely be taking the tank cloak anyway, since when it comes to the legendary piece, I feel like Druids are really missing that strong survival cooldown much more than we're missing that little bit of extra AoE damage. Plus the stats are not that different..

There's only one quest, and you can do as many of the challenges as you want (or have specs for, rather). You get your pick of cloak regardless of which one you do.

Tarazet

There's only one quest, and you can do as many of the challenges as you want (or have specs for, rather). You get your pick of cloak regardless of which one you do.

Cool, I might have to try all three. (Four? Is melee different from ranged?)

Woo

untitled-1l5sht.jpg

Took enough bosses this week to get the last two shards to the point where I was beginning to think I would get super-trolled with just one -_-

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Was lucky enough to do the Nalak part of the legendary chain on my two 90s on a single fight by logging off between both attempts. Didn't know there was going to be a legendary meta gem after this, nice surprise!

Now, to get those 12 damn items on each of them... at least i wont have to do all 4 wings this time.

Ultratech

Finally got a Tank trinket off Lei Shen tonight.

Was kinda funny since some stupid Hunter pulled before we got there, but we ended up having no issues with the fight itself.

World Bosses just gave me Gold except Oondasta who had a Primal Egg in his shiny poop.

Woo

Took enough bosses this week to get the last two shards to the point where I was beginning to think I would get super-trolled with just one -_-

Man, I need to go back on my DK and finish that up.

Still gotta do Infusions, but I keep putting it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom