• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manus

Just resubbed after a long hiatus. I haven't played any of the Mists content. So how do Monk's fair as a tank/healer? I just rolled one and am curious on how they compare to other tanks and healers.

Berordn

Just resubbed after a long hiatus. I haven't played any of the Mists content. So how do Monk's fair as a tank/healer? I just rolled one and am curious on how they compare to other tanks and healers.

Mistweaver is a passable healer. A large toolkit with a bunch of neat quirks, but it's got a pretty steep learning curve and they're not as strong as your run of the mill discipline priest.

Brewmaster is a remarkably strong tanking spec thanks to its active mitigation, does a lot of damage and is just fun to play in general, but leveling as one is pretty painful because of the slow rollout of abilities.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1308827-Patch-5-4-New-Icons?p=21421689#post21421689

The Sha weapon icons are primarily purple with the eyes and other crap.

I don't think that post shows all of them, but there's a 2H Axe, 2H Sword, Staff, and one or two other things in that post I linked.
(Should be more, since I'm sure it's a full set of weapons I saw someplace else.)

Basically kinda like the Corrupted Weapons from T14.

http://ptr.wowhead.com/news=215001/...mar-dungeon-journal-and-tier-16-weapon-models

They aren't sha-touched or legendary, that's for sure. It's just the staff and Gorehowl. They've already said the only legendary is the cloak, and it should be relatively easy to get so you get it early and use it the whole patch.

Be careful with talking about speculation like its all but confirmed, it's just weapons going along with the theme of the raid.

Sciz

The healing spec is alright. It's mechanically the most different healer; they've got an extra resource on top of mana, their AOE is tied to their HoT, their weak heal is channeled but buffs their other two direct heals, their strong heal is also a HoT, and they can punch stuff to heal people fairly effectively. That last point makes the spec a pretty good option to level as, since you can get fast dungeon queues and still play like dps or really annoy people in pvp.

The tanking spec is some of the most fun you can have in the game once the toolkit comes together. It plays a lot like a dps spec and you'll go splat harder than any other tank if you do it wrong, but in turn you get a counter for everything, great self-healing, great damage output, and strong mobility. It also shares gear with the dps spec with minimal fuss, which is nice.

Magnus

So, wow, is Disc really the OP healing monster everyone's suggesting it is? My main is a priest, and I use to main heal and lead my healers back in the Wrath days. Was almost always Holy though. Is this the time to try Disc out for 5mans and such?

I swear I saw a Disc outpacing me (as Shadow) in damage the other day in a 5man while in the group as a healer. wtf? I mean, yeah, he was in 500+ epics and I was in lowly blues for the most part, but damn? Is that how strong Disc is now? Offensively healing the way Monks are supposed to?

I've been back for several weeks now, and even played actively in Sept/Oct, but I still feel so out of touch with developments in Pandaria/5.0+.

edit-

I'm still having trouble with soloing Kael at 90 as a Mage (my third 90), because I'm evidently a terrible mage. Suggestions? I'm in mostly blues, average iLevel is 440.

I have like no problems at all doing it on my main (Priest) and my Paladin (super fucking easy, even when I was in level 85-90 quest greens).

Also, suggestions for the easiest classes to solo the asshole on at 90? I imagine DK, Hunter, Warrior? I have all of them in the 63-82 range. I'll cap 'em for more chances at that goddamn mount, I swear I will.

Sciz

I swear I saw a Disc outpacing me (as Shadow) in damage the other day in a 5man while in the group as a healer. wtf? I mean, yeah, he was in 500+ epics and I was in lowly blues for the most part, but damn? Is that how strong Disc is now? Offensively healing the way Monks are supposed to?

That'd be a combination of Disc being pretty kickass and 40+ item levels of gear being an enormous gap.

ZenaxPure

My healing Monk friend usually pulls about 70-80k dps on bosses in H Scenarios (He is 510 ilvl), that item level goes a long way. Even as dps, people are already sustaining like triple the amount of dps they were doing at the start of the expansion in blue/green gear.

Honestly I think that is my suggestion to your Kael problems as well, get better gear, it matters a lot. 440 ilvl is barely above what people in heroic dragon soul gear were at (anywhere between 410 and 415), honestly I would assume your mage does less dps than a level 85 mage in H DS gear would do. That plus mages having the worst survivability for soloing raid bosses puts him in a pretty shitty situation.

ch0mp

So, wow, is Disc really the OP healing monster everyone's suggesting it is? My main is a priest, and I use to main heal and lead my healers back in the Wrath days. Was almost always Holy though. Is this the time to try Disc out for 5mans and such?

I've been back for several weeks now, and even played actively in Sept/Oct, but I still feel so out of touch with developments in Pandaria/5.0+.
Heals can put out fairly good DPS if they want to. Gear inflation and any competent tank means they don't really need to heal much.

Acidote

Must have to be pretty well geared. I'm 514 or so and even popping everything (except heroism I guess, since I never really think about using it on those easy old fights) I can only get him down to around 20% before I can't target him any longer. I think this week was my best with 18% remaining health. The rest of the fight is super easy so no worries there, just noting that I haven't been able to drop it that fast. Even with heroism I can't see that doing the extra 18% of the health.

Onyxia I was able to get down quickly with that method, though. I'd fight her on the opposite side of where she rises up for phase two so I pop primal fire elemental, ascendance, wolves, stormlash, and then go nuts on her. Usually I'd get her to like 15% before she'd even lift up and it'd start phase three but still require her to fly over to the other side. By then she'd be down to 0.1% or whatever it sticks at and she'd land and fall over dead. But now that I have the mount I don't have to worry about that one.

535 the last time I killed him right after getting the 608 cloak (Profile). Although we're stuck on progression, some people left for the summer and it has been hard to find replacements. We're just about to kill HM Ji'kun with the new (undergeared with the rest of us) players. And Onyxia doesn't bug, she just rushes with 1hp or whatever where she starts flying and then she gets to the floor automatically.

Fjordson

Welp, couldn't stay away any longer. Reupped my account for 3 months :lol

Not sure whether to level my disc priest (which I really like so far) or work on my 90 hunter (coming in at a whopping 453 item lvl).

strafer

Not a fan of DK 16. Looks like something out of Skyrim.

tier16_deathknight_male.jpg

rallaren

I can't believe there's only one bodytype for each male and female of each race! All that raiding in vanilla with more variation in physical appearances would have made it much more fun. Seriously!

Shouldn't complain I guess. It could've been the other way around!

Edit:
I can't believe
Look what this game made me say!

Westlo

I hope they don't let people use XP potions whent hey raise the level caps. As someone who enjoys the server first races... that would kind of suck if everyone is on steroids.

If it happens I bet it will be like heirlooms and only work upto the current expansion, so if released with 5.4 it will only work upto level 85, after the next expansion upto 90 etc.

Clipse

I can't believe there's only one bodytype for each male and female of each race! All that raiding in vanilla with more variation in physical appearances would have made it much more fun. Seriously!

My OCD is grateful WoW doesn't have deep character customization lol.

After making a toon in the FF14 beta, which I think has way too many customization options, I just knew in the back of my mind that I would never truly be satisfied with my toon.

Magnus

My healing Monk friend usually pulls about 70-80k dps on bosses in H Scenarios (He is 510 ilvl), that item level goes a long way. Even as dps, people are already sustaining like triple the amount of dps they were doing at the start of the expansion in blue/green gear.

Honestly I think that is my suggestion to your Kael problems as well, get better gear, it matters a lot. 440 ilvl is barely above what people in heroic dragon soul gear were at (anywhere between 410 and 415), honestly I would assume your mage does less dps than a level 85 mage in H DS gear would do. That plus mages having the worst survivability for soloing raid bosses puts him in a pretty shitty situation.

Shit, I didn't even think about that. Of course the new level cap fucks with ratings, so of course I'm struggling to even do the damage I once did. Argh. I need to fast track this Mage to epics.

Sciz

Be sure to read guides. If you don't keep Shuffle up and use Elusive Brew generously, you're a Rogue with threat issues.

Threat issues? The only threat issues I ever have is that it's basically impossible to let the other tank have any unless I just stop attacking for a few seconds.

Threat issues? The only threat issues I ever have is that it's basically impossible to let the other tank have any unless I just stop attacking for a few seconds.

He means rogues who pull aggro, like they used to back in the days before tricks of the trade and misdirect. 'after two sunders you can start to do damage' etc.

I miss those days :D

cdyhybrid

Welp, couldn't stay away any longer. Reupped my account for 3 months :lol

Not sure whether to level my disc priest (which I really like so far) or work on my 90 hunter (coming in at a whopping 453 item lvl).

If you like healing, Disc Priests are probably the most overpowered thing in the history of video games.*

*may be some very minor exaggeration

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Not a fan of DK 16. Looks like something out of Skyrim.

It looks like Skyrim if Skyrim armor were gaudy, blingy and terrible. Warcraft hasn't really had good armor designs for a very long time.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
He means rogues who pull aggro, like they used to back in the days before tricks of the trade and misdirect. 'after two sunders you can start to do damage' etc.

I miss those days :D

I know i don't. Everytime i do a heroic with a tank doing 15k DPS with my mage who does 115k, it reminds me of those days where all the aggro is on me, and it sucks.

ZenaxPure

Shit, I didn't even think about that. Of course the new level cap fucks with ratings, so of course I'm struggling to even do the damage I once did. Argh. I need to fast track this Mage to epics.

Well, T14 LFR stuff is like 483 (476 for MSV) which is like 40 ilvls above what your mage is currently rocking. That gear alone would see a substantial dps boost for you.

Ah yes, back when we had to Vanish regularly to clear agro. Unless Vanish didn't work, in which case you died. I died a lot.

My guild actually had some damn good tanks. As long as I was popping feint on cooldown I didn't have to vanish very often, could save it for if we were wiping and I didn't want to run back. Though, when I got lazy with feint some bad things could happen, like pulling threat on Nef and having him breath the entire raid.

Bad times.

I know i don't. Everytime i do a heroic with a tank doing 15k DPS with my mage who does 115k, it reminds me of those days where all the aggro is on me, and it sucks.

I really miss is having to pay attention to tank threat, all other things being equal. Threat hasn't been anything meaningful since TBC when hit/expertise were the sort of 'final frontier' on tank gearing. Now it's the default that tanks never lose threat and you can literally raid without a threat addon of any kind as long as you have target of target frames. Also it was fun watching inattentive rogues get eaten.

Besides, what heroic mob is going to kill you these days? We're not talking about Heroic Shattered Halls :)

Berordn

Might've been fun for DPS, but I personally think tanking's a lot more engaging when you're concerned more about survival and execution than maintaining a perfect threat rotation. Active mitigation makes you pay a lot more attention to stuff and is pretty fun to execute.

The main issue is that heroics have been outmoded content since 5.1.

Bisnic

Besides, what heroic mob is going to kill you these days? We're not talking about Heroic Shattered Halls :)

One mob sure, but when you have 6 of them after you because a Frost Bomb + Frost Orb + Glyphed Ice Lances gives you 250k DPS, well its a little more problematic. ;)

At least it gives the healer something a little more challenging for once.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Ah yes, back when we had to Vanish regularly to clear agro. Unless Vanish didn't work, in which case you died. I died a lot.

I can see why the threat mini-game was removed though. Aggro is a pretty dumb concept when there's practically nothing in the game that alerts you to its existence.

I can see why the threat mini-game was removed though. Aggro is a pretty dumb concept when there's practically nothing in the game that alerts you to its existence.

The way encounters make room for tanks in WoW might be why I hate tanking to be honest. There's some fun in feeling like the most important and informed part of a raid, but that's taken from you half the time in a raid environment when your job switches to 'tank the adds' or 'just stand there to soak cleave or tank swap when the better-geared tank gets too many stacks of a debuff.' Even if you are the main tank doing your job perfectly, you run into retarded things like hitboxes on raid bosses preventing efficient repositioning or fuzzy edges on ability radiuses. I don't know how the tanks I know put up with these awful mechanics getting in the way of an otherwise very smooth MMO combat system.

Bisnic

Well, with the default UI, there is a % rating above your target that tells you how much aggro you got, and you see a yellow(watch your threat!)/red(you got aggro!) glow around your avatar when your threat gets high, plus a small drum sound when it reach these colors.

It's not nothing, but it could be better i guess.

Ultratech

Threat's always existed though, and several skills even in Vanilla had stuff that were basically, "Does X to Y damage, but causes a high amount of Threat."

There were quite a few items in the game too that basically had procs or passive effects to reduce the amount of Threat you were putting out.

But far as actual numbers and stuff goes, yeah, there were no real indicators as to how much actual Threat/Aggro you had on an enemy until Wrath, unless you were using Addons.

Angry Grimace

Threat's always existed though, and several skills even in Vanilla had stuff that were basically, "Does X to Y damage, but causes a high amount of Threat."

There were quite a few items in the game too that basically had procs or passive effects to reduce the amount of Threat you were putting out.

But far as actual numbers and stuff goes, yeah, there were no real indicators as to how much actual Threat/Aggro you had on an enemy until Wrath, unless you were using Addons.

I'm referring to its effect on everyone else. Its not the fact that it exists, its that the operation of the mechanic (particularly when threat-capping is a thing) is pretty much invisible. Even in Vanilla, you couldn't actually access threat numbers even with a meter; those numbers were just estimates since the game didn't report threat information until WLK. Basically, you had to cap your DPS based on a theoretical number reported by an addon. Its absurd on its face.

The way encounters make room for tanks in WoW might be why I hate tanking to be honest. There's some fun in feeling like the most important and informed part of a raid, but that's taken from you half the time in a raid environment when your job switches to 'tank the adds' or 'just stand there to soak cleave or tank swap when the better-geared tank gets too many stacks of a debuff.' Even if you are the main tank doing your job perfectly, you run into retarded things like hitboxes on raid bosses preventing efficient repositioning or fuzzy edges on ability radiuses. I don't know how the tanks I know put up with these awful mechanics getting in the way of an otherwise very smooth MMO combat system.

"Soak cleaves" is the laziest fucking two-tank mechanic in the universe. I hate it so much when they decide to force that instead of coming up with something more clever.

Ultratech

I'm referring to its effect on everyone else. Its not the fact that it exists, its that the operation of the mechanic (particularly when threat-capping is a thing) is pretty much invisible. Even in Vanilla, you couldn't actually access threat numbers even with a meter; those numbers were just estimates since the game didn't report threat information until WLK. Basically, you had to cap your DPS based on a theoretical number reported by an addon. Its absurd on its face.

Ahh, gotcha.

Yeah, it is kinda silly in those respects.

Fjordson

If you like healing, Disc Priests are probably the most overpowered thing in the history of video games.*

*may be some very minor exaggeration
Haha, yeah that's what I'm hearing. Maybe I'll level my priest.

Also, what's the best way to get guild rep these days? I have the epic guild tabard from a previous guild, but I'm only friendly. Should I just do dailies and quests? I remember using some sort of Marks of Ulduar trick back when Mists first launched, but I think I read on Wowhead that they god rid of that.

cdyhybrid

Haha, yeah that's what I'm hearing. Maybe I'll level my priest.

Also, what's the best way to get guild rep these days? I have the epic guild tabard from a previous guild, but I'm only friendly. Should I just do dailies and quests? I remember using some sort of Marks of Ulduar trick back when Mists first launched, but I think I read on Wowhead that they god rid of that.

Quests are more than enough.

Fjordson

Quests are more than enough.
Sweet.

Also, wow @ playing WoW with 60+ FPS. I forgot how nice this is. Got a recent laptop (nothing great, cheap one for work) but I forgot that sometimes these things dial down the processor and graphics performance in order to save power. Put all that back up to max and I'm getting perfect FPS on medium settings. Not bad! Even in Stormwind when it's packed with people I'm getting 45 FPS.

Cipherr

I want to fucking CHOKE this game sometimes. Dumb shit that blizzard does and doesn't think through... I get my frames all ready for my priest in Vuhdo, got all my macros and mouseovers written, and have everything perfect, only to have some jackass loot mid combat exposing something I never foresaw coming:

dDucU.png

:Not my image, but shows the problem:

OH HAI THERE UGLY ASS UNNECCESSARY 'YOU FUCKING WON LOOT BRO' BOX THATS UNMOVABLE AND COVERS MY FUCKING HEALING FRAMES. SORRY TANK.... AND HUNTER.... AND WARLOCK...... ALL DEAD NOW, NO HEALS! CANT CLICK LOLOLOL

cdyhybrid

I want to fucking CHOKE this game sometimes. Dumb shit that blizzard does and doesn't think through... I get my frames all ready for my priest in Vuhdo, got all my macros and mouseovers written, and have everything perfect, only to have some jackass loot mid combat exposing something I never foresaw coming:

dDucU.png

OH HAI THERE UGLY ASS UNNECCESSARY 'YOU FUCKING WON LOOT BRO' BOX THATS UNMOVABLE AND COVERS MY FUCKING HEALING FRAMES. SORRY TANK.... AND HUNTER.... AND WARLOCK...... ALL DEAD NOW, NO HEALS! CANT CLICK LOLOLOL

Err, why not just move your frames? Is this the first time you've seen those loot messages or something?

Bisnic

dDucU.png

Can't you just move the frames like the default ones?

Cipherr

Oh I have it moved now of course (I used an addon I got afterwards. Its the fact that when entering UI options I see no box for disabling it or anything referring to it. It doesnt appear in the same space as the loot roll box even though they are clearly related, and I tried clicking them (in the center) and dragging and they wouldnt move when I needed them to. Just an overall pain in the ass for EXTREMELY redundant information thats already spammed to your chat window any fucking way....

I just..........

cdyhybrid

Oh I have it moved now of course (I used an addon I got afterwards. Its the fact that when entering UI options I see no box for disabling it or anything referring to it. It doesnt appear in the same space as the loot roll box even though they are clearly related, and I tried clicking them (in the center) and dragging and they wouldnt move when I needed them to. Just an overall pain in the ass for EXTREMELY redundant information thats already spammed to your chat window any fucking way....

I just..........

I meant move your healing frames :p

Manus

Okay so haven't played WoW since before the release of Panda. I logg on last night and all of my gear and gold on all of my toons is gone. I have old gear and stuff in my bank, but nothing else. I filed a ticket to Blizzard and they said I couldn't get my gear back? I had no idea their was a time table on when items can be restored. I can't even take my toons from 85 to 90 because their bare, I can't even attack anything. Should I file another ticket to Blizzard or what? Any advice?

Bisnic

I was sure there was no problem for them to bring back (most) of your gear. Weird that he said they can't do that.

Maybe try another time? Maybe the guy who answered you was a new employee who doesn't know everything lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom