• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Apparently the two hours we played a few months ago using the 10 day trial will exclude us from the scroll of rez. That's a shitty way to lose two returning customers. FF14 it is!

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
That is sucky :(

With the scroll of resurrection do you get all the expansions except MoP?

Yeah but I already had cata. Woulda just been buying Pandaria. It's pretty effing weird they count free time, that they give, against you.

Yeah but I already had cata. Woulda just been buying Pandaria. It's pretty effing weird they count free time, that they give, against you.

sounds like they didnt want to spare the time to have someone code it correctly to account for that.

I checked my account and it seems to just have PoM and a starter pack. I thought for certain I had the other expansions. I remember fighting in the ice continent! Would anyone be willing to scroll me? PoM isn't really going to benefit me right now since I'm starting from scratch?

Berordn

sounds like they didnt want to spare the time to have someone code it correctly to account for that.

I checked my account and it seems to just have PoM and a starter pack. I thought for certain I had the other expansions. I remember fighting in the ice continent! Would anyone be willing to scroll me? PoM isn't really going to benefit me right now since I'm starting from scratch?

Wrath of the Lich King is included in the Battle Chest now. It's baseline.

For the past week I've been "camping" Time-Lost Proto Drake by running the game in windowed mode and either listening for npcscan to alert me or just spot the red screen flash by having the window visible under my browser. With me barely focusing on the game it's allowed me to camp for roughly 50-60 hours without me putting any effort into it. I've killed Vyragosa three times and been in the zone for a number of TLPD spawns and such.

Tonight I got in my spot and almost immediately dozed off. I got DC'd due to being afk (takes what, thirty minutes or so?) and about an hour later I logged back on to see TLPD was cached. So yeah, in the roughly twenty minutes I was asleep and still logged in I missed it spawning at my regular spawn camp. Oh well, I'm not too upset because it sure seems to be spawning a lot more often than I had thought it would (in the past week I'm aware of six or seven spawns (three in a row!)) and also it's taking me minimal effort and attention to camp so if it takes another week to actually get it that's not too much for me to worry about as I'm just doing other stuff while camping anyhow. I have the first two lines of chat visible so most of my effort has been to reply to chat stuff and move my character an inch every twenty minutes or whatever so I don't get kicked for being afk.

Just thought I'd vent a bit since it's still a bit annoying to be so close to getting it and missing it. On the bright side, six more days and I'll have all mounts and pets from the argent tournament. Toying with the idea of keeping up with it to sell the pets for 1k or so. It's a decent enough profit. Currently at 172 mounts. Still unsure how I'll hit 200 but I'll keep going for it.

Sciz

Currently at 172 mounts. Still unsure how I'll hit 200 but I'll keep going for it.

I'm sitting at 209 at the moment with no retired mounts and only a couple promotional ones. Nothing for it but to farm those rare drops religiously and horde hoard as much gold as you can.

I'm sitting at 209 at the moment with no retired mounts and only a couple promotional ones. Nothing for it but to farm those rare drops religiously and horde as much gold as you can.

Yeah, already know that's where I'm going to get them. Off the top of my head, let's see...

To buy: Ruby Panther, Mekgineer's Chopper. Oh, and one more argent tournament mount I'll have in six days.

Impossible to buy (heh): The runeforging big mammoth thinger, Geosynchronous World Spinner, the other Engineering rocket thinger. Also, the stuff that isn't BoP like Crimson Deathcharger (or whatever the Shadowmourne mount is called). And the Onyx Panther.

I simply don't do enough to really earn the gold to buy these up. I'm sure I could eventually get them but it's slow going.

Rare farms I do currently or can solo but not focusing on: Vitreous, TLPD, Aeonaxx, Poseidus, ZG Panther, ZG Raptor, Vortex Pinnacle drake, Alysrazor mount, Blue Drake, Ashes of A'lar, Rivendare's Impossihorse, Throne of the Four Winds (done with two other players)

Rare from raids I can't solo: Invincible, Experiment B-12, Handmaiden's, Blazing Drake, Mimiron's Head, Elegon's sparkle dragon and everything else from Pandaria including world bosses.

Meta achievements to finish: ICC 25m and everything above that. I can reasonably expect all pre-MoP ones to be fairly easy to get in a good group or two. Oh, and the first achievement is needed for Ulduar 25m. Six total for pre-MoP that I don't have.

So yeah, I know nobody really cares about mounts I have left, heh. But that's pretty much where I stand. I know there's at least one or two pvp mounts I don't have and likely won't get (rated battleground and possibly something else?).

Oh, and there's some other world ones that I just remembered. Two more Isle of Giant raptors and the Direhorns from Warbringers. That's 21 I can "reasonably" expect that I'll eventually get from rare drops, bought, and metas. And then some direhorns and raptors and that's pretty much enough to top me off over 200. But only just barely. We'll see! I'd really like to get it before the next expansion because then it'll feel like a gimme when they give another easy faction that gives 12 mounts.

Ultratech

Yeah, already know that's where I'm going to get them. Off the top of my head, let's see...

Meta achievements to finish: ICC 25m and everything above that. I can reasonably expect all pre-MoP ones to be fairly easy to get in a good group or two. Oh, and the first achievement is needed for Ulduar 25m. Six total for pre-MoP that I don't have.

So yeah, I know nobody really cares about mounts I have left, heh. But that's pretty much where I stand. I know there's at least one or two pvp mounts I don't have and likely won't get (rated battleground and possibly something else?).

Oh, and there's some other world ones that I just remembered. Two more Isle of Giant raptors and the Direhorns from Warbringers. That's 21 I can "reasonably" expect that I'll eventually get from rare drops, bought, and metas. And then some direhorns and raptors and that's pretty much enough to top me off over 200. But only just barely. We'll see! I'd really like to get it before the next expansion because then it'll feel like a gimme when they give another easy faction that gives 12 mounts.

I think I'm at about 140 right now? I could probably get a few of the Argent Tournament mounts since I've been running some of the stuff on my Herald Druid.

The Meta achievement mounts aren't terribly hard to get, but there's usually one or two sticklers in there that will hold you up.

-ICC: Vampire and Been Waiting a Long Time For This; Other than those two, everything else is pretty easy nowadays.
-T11: Hmm...I know there's some tricky ones like the Interrupts for the Omnitron bots, Stay Chill, the Cho'gall achievement, and maybe the Nef one.
-T12: Only the Pentient and Barrel Roll; Especially Barrel Roll...
-T13: Holding Hands and Deck Defender;

I'm just glad I finally got them all outta the way not too long ago.

I got two Titan Runestones this week. It felt like winning the goddamn lottery.

I was 19/20 Secrets with 4 bosses left on ToT.

Didn't get a damn one. :(

I'm an expert

So a happy ending to the scroll of rez thing, I called up customer service, they said not an issue, they just transfered the char I wanted and that was that. Insanely easy, didn't ask for much but the name of the char and the server/faction.

The Meta achievement mounts aren't terribly hard to get, but there's usually one or two sticklers in there that will hold you up.

-ICC: Vampire and Been Waiting a Long Time For This; Other than those two, everything else is pretty easy nowadays.
-T11: Hmm...I know there's some tricky ones like the Interrupts for the Omnitron bots, Stay Chill, the Cho'gall achievement, and maybe the Nef one.
-T12: Only the Pentient and Barrel Roll; Especially Barrel Roll...
-T13: Holding Hands and Deck Defender;

Heh, I already have most some parts of the meta and mainly got through the hard ones. For Ulduar25 I only have the first achievement and since I can't solo that I need a group of people willing to go in just for that first boss, heh.

ICC25 I'm only missing Full House. We tried as a group of three and the mind control kept causing us to wipe. Looked it up and it seems it might be possible to solo. Not sure if my class can try but since I did a heroic 10m first boss kill (was all I needed for that meta) I can't change it to 25m for the second boss until next week.

T11 - Have never once ran these on any character except I do Throne of the Four Winds each week. And we got one of those achievements. Otherwise I don't know these fights at all and will likely just get into a group forming in trade or something.

T12 - Have all heroic kills AND Barrel Roll as I got that the first time I solo'd Alysrazor purely on accident. I have one or two others and only have three or four left to knock out. My group really had issues with the Ambi-turner one when we were going through doing the heroic kills a month ago. And I messed up the kneeling one because they didn't explain it at all, haha. I was the only new person there so they knew to explain it. So they stopped me, had me make a macro for kneeling, and then were just like, "Alright, let's go!" So I see them run forward, I go forward as well, and then break the achievement. Ha! Should have told me why I was making the macro. I just assumed it was something needed for when we engaged the boss.

T13 - Holding Hands seems possibly the roughest just because it takes actual planning and coordination. I was recently in a Heroic 25m run and one guy on vent spent at least five minutes trying to get everyone organized to do the achievement but there were people obviously not paying attention/caring and so after the extremely lengthy attempt at organizing it everyone just burned the boss and ran around willy nilly. So good.

I've got a couple T14 actually completed and my guild could probably manage a good number of them if that was our focus but they've moved on to ToT, naturally, and are still in the earlier stages of that so they're not really looking to spend a night working on older raid content. It'll likely be skipped until the next expansion and then I go back with random groups to clean stuff up, heh.

Jedi2016

Lol.. I'm almost ready to go to Pandaria on my monk.. hehe. Not exactly a hardcore player these days (I never was, to be honest).

I am liking the experience buff for monks, though. I blitzed through Northrend, sticking with the zones and questlines that I liked, and pretty quickly outleveled zones like Grizzly Hills. My trip from 80-85 looks like it will be only two zones. Doing Hyjal alone got me to 83, and I'm betting that Uldum will get me to 85. While Deepholm is very pretty, I didn't really care for the questing there, and I f'in hated Twilight Highlands on my old toons that I don't play anymore, so I won't miss that zone in the least.

My only goal in the game right now is to hit 90, whenever that happens, I'm not rushing to it (I won't even be using the exp buff once I hit panda-land). Get my cloud serpent. Level my professions and make myself some semblance of decent gear (without bothering with dungeons or raids), and then probably do absolutely nothing until the next expansion hits. Maybe hit up a bunch old dungeons and raids that I can solo, and that'll be that.

I'm basically playing WoW as a single-player game now. It passes the time.

Aomber

I haven't played this since around when MoP released.

Is there still a lot of daily grinding or has Blizzard addressed the issue any further? That's what burned me out at the beginning of the expansion. My main focus was to work on several alts but I didn't really feel like doing that on so many characters.

Eklipsis

I've got 131 mounts so far but I haven't done any of the meta achievements. I need still need one from the Argent Tournament. I've been trying to get groups together to do Warbringers but I've also been leveling and gearing up my pally. I just started playing again after about two years off.

Is there any list of people's toons and servers? Any one play on Draka?

Sciz

I haven't played this since around when MoP released.

Is there still a lot of daily grinding or has Blizzard addressed the issue any further? That's what burned me out at the beginning of the expansion. My main focus was to work on several alts but I didn't really feel like doing that on so many characters.

The 5.0 factions are trivial to get rep with now if you don't mind doing a little rare mob hunting. If you hold out for 5.4, the faction requirements for almost all vendor gear are going away outright.

Ripclawe

Banned
They need to up the xp points or cut down levels again for Cata because it is driving me insane the linear progression of it to level up my characters.

I'm an expert

Damn they really did that transfer well, char was on Skullcrusher horde side in an hour.. now to remember all the horde cities..

Magnus

They need to up the xp points or cut down levels again for Cata because it is driving me insane the linear progression of it to level up my characters.

Me don't understand. Up the XP? Make it longer to level?

Cut down the levels, again? What does this mean? Haha.

Me don't understand. Up the XP? Make it longer to level?

Cut down the levels, again? What does this mean? Haha.

Meaning up the amount of experience earned or cut down the amount of experience needed to level.

Some kid has been chatting with me non-stop while I camp for TLPD and asks questions constantly. Brought up RAF and to verify information I looked it up on Battle.net. I knew I did RAF but completely spaced the part about redeeming the mount for years ago. Check it now and it shows I already redeemed it. Contacted a GM and they confirmed I redeemed it in July of last year but since none of my characters actually have it they mailed it to me. They sent me the X-53 Touring Rocket since that would have been the mount given at the time of redemption. Would have enjoyed the Zhevra a little bit for simply being more unique looking but I can't really complain either way.

No idea how I somehow claimed it but never got it. I also don't remember actually claiming it since the first time I even knew about the redemption process was fairly recently when sending someone a scroll of resurrection. But kind of a neat surprise for the day. Also asked the GM to bump up the drop rate on the Vitreous Stone Drake but he politely declined and said it's frowned upon or he would have done it for himself. I'm now at 164 Slabhide kills. Hmph.

Edit: I think somehow my mount got claimed during a period I didn't play. My achievements pretty much show I stopped between around May 15 to August 29 or so. I bet I could check my debit card statements but ultimately it doesn't matter. So odds are somehow it triggered a claim for the mount and sent it to my mailbox but since I was unsubscribed after thirty days it went away. Now the only mystery is how it was claimed when I wasn't around. Oh well.

potam

Banned
Are there any solo grinds comparable in exp to monkey runs? Just got my shaman from 87-90 in probably ~15 hours, doing a mix of LFD and questing, and I've got a druid and hunter just sitting at 85. I'd rather speed up the process, even if it is just camping one spawn for 5+ hours.

Also, what dailies should I focus on? I remember when I got my pally to 90 when MoP first came out, there were like 85123 factions to do. Is there one that benefits everyone now, or do you still need to do a bunch?

ZenaxPure

Also, what dailies should I focus on? I remember when I got my pally to 90 when MoP first came out, there were like 85123 factions to do. Is there one that benefits everyone now, or do you still need to do a bunch?

None of them. The gear from them is horribly outdated at this point. I'd say only do any of them if you wanted their specific rewards (some have crafting recipes, most have a mount, Shado-Pan has the cool hat, 5.1 reps have the cool progressive story).

Ripclawe

Banned
MOnkey runs got nerfed it seems, at some point Blizzard has to understand people do not want to level up all their toons doing the same quests over and over again

potam

Banned
None of them. The gear from them is horribly outdated at this point. I'd say only do any of them if you wanted their specific rewards (some have crafting recipes, most have a mount, Shado-Pan has the cool hat, 5.1 reps have the cool progressive story).

Good to hear I don't have to attempt to farm rep.

MOnkey runs got nerfed it seems, at some point Blizzard has to understand people do not want to level up all their toons doing the same quests over and over again

At this point in the game, there should be some sort of quest chain that you can do with a new character, assuming you have a max level character (or multiple I suppose to keep the unwashed masses at bay), which would level you up to the newest content.

The way games like this are designed, the non-max level content is just a wall that one must climb over in order to experience the core game held within.

Good to hear I don't have to attempt to farm rep.

At this point in the game, there should be some sort of quest chain that you can do with a new character, assuming you have a max level character (or multiple I suppose to keep the unwashed masses at bay), which would level you up to the newest content.

The way games like this are designed, the non-max level content is just a wall that one must climb over in order to experience the core game held within.

I've always wondered how feasible it'd be to have them give an experience buff based purely off of number of max level characters. Could be as simple as a 10% increase for every max level character so the more you level the quicker it is for the next one. And perhaps cut off the buff at the current content? Still, seems like something that'd be for the general good of playing alts without being too overpowered. Someone with 10 alts to get 100% buff has definitely put the time into the game.

Slayerx

4SurVPb.png

I come back from a 2 week break from breaking bad/mad men marathon and get this. So happy right now.

I'm an expert

War tanking seems off.. like hate is a bit wonky.. or maybe thunderclap ain't what it used to be.

potam

Banned
I've always wondered how feasible it'd be to have them give an experience buff based purely off of number of max level characters. Could be as simple as a 10% increase for every max level character so the more you level the quicker it is for the next one. And perhaps cut off the buff at the current content? Still, seems like something that'd be for the general good of playing alts without being too overpowered. Someone with 10 alts to get 100% buff has definitely put the time into the game.

Just off the top of my head, a simple, yet inelegant solution could be this:

Heirloom vendor has a potion/clickable item with infinite charges, one available to each class. Your 90 warrior could buy "Flask of the Warrior Spirit" for 2500 JP, and when your alt uses it, they get "Warrior Spirit" or whatever, which gives +10% exp until 85. Each of your characters can buy their class's potion/whatever, and each one gives a different exp buff.

Even though that example isn't the best, and I admit I have no real knowledge of the inner-workings of the game, I think it's clear it wouldn't be the hardest idea to implement.

It's like wanting to have multiple playthroughs on your favorite game, and each time having to go through the 24+ hour tutorial which is no fun.

ZenaxPure

Just off the top of my head, a simple, yet inelegant solution could be this:

Honestly I think the simple solution is just vastly buffing heirloom xp. Even though leveling does feel like a wall to get to the endgame content it's still useful in providing you with what all the abilities do and letting you learn how to play the class.

A good example would be my Monk's last adventure. I was level 64, had full heirlooms (minus the ring), the monk xp buff, and the elixir from Krol. I jumped from level 64 to 74 just in that one hour of the elixir duration. That sort of speed felt really good for an alt, but, I think that was like what? Over +400% xp gain I think, once you include the guild perk. Adding bonus xp for each character you had at max level would work as well, EQ2 has it I believe. But, since heirlooms are already a thing I think it would be best off if they just buffed the fuck out of those.

potam

Banned
Honestly I think the simple solution is just vastly buffing heirloom xp. Even though leveling does feel like a wall to get to the endgame content it's still useful in providing you with what all the abilities do and letting you learn how to play the class.

I see what you're saying. I think the best route would be an instanced quest chain for each class. They could even offer respecs/gear packages during the chain so, at one point you're learning each spec of your class. I think they're adding something in 5.4 that will teach you how to tank/heal/dps, though.

I see what you're saying. I think the best route would be an instanced quest chain for each class. They could even offer respecs/gear packages during the chain so, at one point you're learning each spec of your class. I think they're adding something in 5.4 that will teach you how to tank/heal/dps, though.

Proving Grounds doesn't look like they'll outright teach you. It'll simply be a challenge that you can then beat your head against if you aren't playing your class well until you figure out what you should be doing to best it. Which is perfectly fine with me but that's because I know my spec rather well. When I try the resto challenges it'll be a disaster and I can't wait.

Buffing heirloom gear even more would be fine, I just like the idea that the more time you spend leveling alts the more you bonus from it to reward you for time spent. But simply giving a large buff to heirloom would work well enough.

sqwarlock

So I'm finally back home after a 10-day out-of-state vacation, and it turns out I'm going to have a lot more free time to grind some shit out in WoW; I got let go 3 days into said vacation.

profit

So I'm finally back home after a 10-day out-of-state vacation, and it turns out I'm going to have a lot more free time to grind some shit out in WoW; I got let go 3 days into said vacation.
Oh man, that sucks to hear... Did they give any good reason?

Good luck in finding a new job!

ampere

Lol, I was, though they def facked up the old school feel of battle->charge->defensive. Charging in defensive is like wtf.

Hehe it's been that way for a long time now. Pretty sure since early WotLK you could take a talent to charge in Def stance. Stance dancing for a Prot warrior is mostly dead, and for 5 mans it is completely dead.

Fjordson

I'm loving the reputation buff from the Darkmoon Faire (first time the faire has been around since I've resubbed). Getting some nice Golden Lotus and Shado-Pan rep.

I keep telling myself to forget the dailies for a few days, go do some BG's, have fun leveling your priest, but I can't stay away :lol especially with Shado-Pan. I want those mounts!

http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/7559/Up-to-90-of-MMO-Real-Estate-is-Wasted.html

Thought you guys might find this interesting. Especially since you guys were talking about leveling and how old it is. Its ironic because the world is one of, if not THE biggest reason to play an MMO. It has to feel unique and it has to be interesting or people get bored. This guy is saying world creation is by far the biggest time and money sink, so I'm wondering if part of this isn't a tools problem. If EVERYTHING has to be done by hand, it's either because there are no other options OR it requires such precise creation because of the previously mentioned need for the world to be unique because of the genre.

Then again, I feel that WoW has possibly some of the most detailed and artistically made zones of any game I've ever seen. A big problem I had with SWTOR is the zones just seemed big for no real reason. I'd take the Storm Peaks over damn near any zone in any game I've ever played.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom