• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magnus

Figures....it was the first try on the Mage (thanks to everyone's advice here to just gear the damned thing up)...

At least 100+ kills over the years, and this is the third time I've seen it drop, ever.

A Val'anyr and the Ashes, and the Amani War Bear....I'm so fucking happy.
Still can't believe it. Never have I uttered a louder "Fuck Yes" over anything in a game, haha.

FECZVXll.jpg

4SurVPb.png

I come back from a 2 week break from breaking bad/mad men marathon and get this. So happy right now.

BROTHER.

What a great week. I'm still giddy every time I mount up!

Magnus

The only ones I can realistically farm that I also want, are:

The Raven Lord
The Blue/Green/Violet Protos
The Ironbound Proto (need a few more Ulduar 25 APs in a group)
The Bloodbathed Frostbrood Vanquisher (couple more ICC 25 APs needed in a group as well)

I have the Amani War Bear, the Flying Disc, the Engineering copter and Flying Carpet (for those professions) and the Ashes for all already though; really can't complain for more. Very, very happy.

All the non-Proto Dragons/Drakes look terrible as far as I'm concerned (the Wrath 3.0 drakes, including Sarth/Maly's drakes, the Onyxia drake – which looks completely fucking awful – and the Cata drakes – from the standard expansion launch ones, like the Alch mount, to the Dragon Soul/Legendary staff ones). I really, really don't like any of them. They all look stunted, awkward, have bizarre necks, or seem goofy. Don't get me started on the Netherwind ones from BC.

Protos look downright fucking MEAN, and have incredible bodies, animations, etc. Their colours tend to be better too, IMO. Love the glowing runes on their bodies as well.

scoobs

I've been farming the flame of alysrazor mount every week, i recommend u all do the same... so easy to solo now. I farm that, zg raptor (every day), and ashes every week.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Mount farming might be the only cosmetic thing in this game I never got. Except the 280 (or was it 300? whatever) fliers back in the day that showed you were a rich pimp. Otherwise, meh.

Bizazedo

Anyone gotten their Kara mount yet? :p

Been farming that motherfucker since 80. No luck so far.

Yeah, got it pretty early on in my farming attempts. Rivendare still eludes me, though.

I did get Onyxian drake during Midsummer world event this year on a completely random "Hey, I'm flying by putting out some fires, lets kill Onyxia!" type thing.

Same with the mammoth in the Winterspring, had just won the BG and wandered in to whack a few bosses for giggles. Bam, mount drop.

bcl0328

is it still hard to get the time-lost proto drake? i farmed that thing for months when i used to play. i set up timers, had mods, mapped out its path. found it dead quite a few times.

ZenaxPure

Decided to start the mount farming thing. God help my soul.

I'm using this as a guide. Anything else I should be looking at?

To be honest you don't really even need a "guide". There are only x amount of mounts in the game and to get the 200 achievement you need... most of the ones still available in the game. You just need a check list more than anything.

I actually enjoy using the built in WoW armory mount feature, you can toggle it to only show mounts you don't have.

Decided to start the mount farming thing. God help my soul.

I'm using this as a guide. Anything else I should be looking at?

That guide should be all you really need. Generally it's just a matter of being aware they exist as the road to getting them is typically little more than patience and time to run things a lot.

is it still hard to get the time-lost proto drake? i farmed that thing for months when i used to play. i set up timers, had mods, mapped out its path. found it dead quite a few times.

I'm fairly positive it spawns more commonly than it originally did due to CRZ, either because it's sharing spawns between realms or they bumped up its chances to spawn instead of Vyra because of the influx of people. I've camped most of the last eight days and have kept communication up with people from both factions and, while it could still be low chances and we've had a crazy week, it's seemed really close to about 50% chance of it being TLPD spawn instead of Vyra. It's probably been closer to a third, but still, I know of about 6 TLPD spawns in the last eight days and there's only been around 8 Vyra spawns.

But yeah, still pretty tough to snag in general. And more people camping now to deal with.

vocab

With the introduction of cross realm zones, it's actually a lot harder because you have to compete with your battlegroup now to get rare spawns in old content.

My summary of this week in wow.

Did all of normal 10 man ToT for the first time. I only had LFR experience, so joined a real good pug that two people from my guild were in. Got a 522 trinket, tier shoulders, and chest.

Farmed 20-30 war bringers. Made a lot of money. Got exalted with Shado Pan, and Klaxxi without ever doing a single daily. Two mounts dropped. I got one.

Learned Blood. Soloed Al'Akir as my first real test.

Farmed some dinos with some friends. Got my self 4 pets, a primal egg, and 2-3k bones.

Went to Darkmoon Faire for the first time since vanilla. Wow, it's no longer the worst thing ever.

bcl0328

wow, cross-realm zones. this game really has changed a lot. so is there anything that isn't cross-realm anymore? i know they had C-R dungeons and raids after i quit. did they do this because of low pop servers? more people quitting? i remember being on a low pop server and it sucked because there was literally no alliance on our server and they never did free transfers for us. seems like cross-realm zones would've helped that issue.

With the introduction of cross realm zones, it's actually a lot harder because you have to compete with your battlegroup now to get rare spawns in old content.

My summary of this week in wow.

Did all of normal 10 man ToT for the first time. I only had LFR experience, so joined a real good pug that two people from my guild were in. Got a 522 trinket, tier shoulders, and chest.

Farmed 20-30 war bringers. Made a lot of money. Got exalted with Shado Pan, and Klaxxi without ever doing a single daily. Two mounts dropped. I got one.

Learned Blood. Soloed Al'Akir as my first real test.

Farmed some dinos with some friends. Got my self 4 pets, a primal egg, and 2-3k bones.

Went to Darkmoon Faire for the first time since vanilla. Wow, it's no longer the worst thing ever.

you're making wow sound fun. i can't get sucked back in T_T

Tamanon

Banned
Edumacate me; what is this, how do I do it, I need money, PLZ SEND HELP.

Get a couple people to do it, and just fly between the Warbringer locations. If you catch them, they drop rep tokens and bags of goods which have a lot of professions stuff in them.

wow, cross-realm zones. this game really has changed a lot. so is there anything that isn't cross-realm anymore? i know they had C-R dungeons and raids after i quit. did they do this because of low pop servers? more people quitting? i remember being on a low pop server and it sucked because there was literally no alliance on our server and they never did free transfers for us. seems like cross-realm zones would've helped that issue.

you're making wow sound fun. i can't get sucked back in T_T

CRZ are for zones pre-MoP. I believe Stormwind also doesn't have any CRZ since people still stack in it well enough. It'll combine servers on a per realm basis based off of the population. So you won't always share one zone with the same four other realms if for some reason there's a lot of people from your realm or whatever. But you can group, chat, and do most the basic stuff like that.

Virtual Realms or whatever they're calling it look to be coming with the next patch, 5.4. This will essentially combine existing realms (without actually merging them together) so you'll be able to join guilds, share auction house, and really do anything with people from other realms with your realm. I do believe this is going to be used for low population servers. It's not like Illidan and Stormrage realms will be pushed together, heh. Or at least, I'd hope not.

Entropia

No One Remembers
CRZ are for zones pre-MoP. I believe Stormwind also doesn't have any CRZ since people still stack in it well enough. It'll combine servers on a per realm basis based off of the population. So you won't always share one zone with the same four other realms if for some reason there's a lot of people from your realm or whatever. But you can group, chat, and do most the basic stuff like that.

Virtual Realms or whatever they're calling it look to be coming with the next patch, 5.4. This will essentially combine existing realms (without actually merging them together) so you'll be able to join guilds, share auction house, and really do anything with people from other realms with your realm. I do believe this is going to be used for low population servers. It's not like Illidan and Stormrage realms will be pushed together, heh. Or at least, I'd hope not.

Yeah, I'm actually really looking forward to those Virtual Realms. I'm not on a realm that would be eligible (I'm pretty sure...), but I think it's a great idea and compromise of people who always shouted to shut down and merge the low pop servers.

ampere

Yeah, I'm actually really looking forward to those Virtual Realms. I'm not on a realm that would be eligible (I'm pretty sure...), but I think it's a great idea and compromise of people who always shouted to shut down and merge the low pop servers.

Virtual realms sound like a godsend. I'm on US - Eredar Alliance... my guild is the only Alliance guild that is more than 3/12 normal (a few more show up on Wowprogress, but they have all transferred realms). Horde side looks fine, but I really prefer playing Alliance so if they didn't come up with Virtual realms I'd probably have to faction or server transfer for the next expac.

If you have a tank spec, soloing Warbringers can be very lucrative. I soloed them/killed them in groups to get the mounts and made a lot of gold/profession mats.

ZenaxPure

Get a couple people to do it, and just fly between the Warbringer locations. If you catch them, they drop rep tokens and bags of goods which have a lot of professions stuff in them.

To expand on this further, those profession bags have a lot of shit in them. For example the enchanting version had 1 sha crystal, 5 or so shards, 15 essences, and 50 dust. In addition to dropping from Warbringers they also drop from the Scouts and they drop from the rare spawns in Townlong. Pandaren/Mogu Caster rare spawn drops a bag with enchanting mats, Yaungol drops one with herbs, Hozen drops one with banquets, and so on. Each of the Townlong rare spawns can drop the same profession bag as the Warbringers/Scouts so I usually fly to Townlong every couple of hours to see if any are up. There is also a lower quality bag ANY rare spawn in Pandaria can drop that has less supplies in it. Either way, you should kill all of them you come across.

To be honest, though, if you are looking to make easy and stable money you should grow crops on your farm every day. If you have any crafting professions you can easily get mats for them, and, if you don't you can simply grow items and sell them on the AH.

sqwarlock

Oh man, that sucks to hear... Did they give any good reason?

Good luck in finding a new job!

Well I was a contractor and they just decided to not renew me, even though I'd been told previously that I was extended through the end of the year. No biggie, didn't like my job much anymore so I'm glad to be out.

Magnus

Sorry, still unsure what Warbringers are. Is this 5.3 content?

I only just returned to the game a month ago and am sort of making my way slowly through everything. Planned on hitting stuff in order of release: have yet to do any 5.1+ stuff really.

Edit: these mofos?
http://www.wowhead.com/npc=69769/zandalari-warbringer

Do I need to phase into 5.3 content to start seeing and killing em? Or can I just go for it now? Could def use good cash, and have a Paladin around i450 with Prot/Ret specs.

ampere

Edit: these mofos?
http://www.wowhead.com/npc=69769/zandalari-warbringer

Do I need to phase into 5.3 content to start seeing and killing em? Or can I just go for it now? Could def use good cash, and have a Paladin around i450 with Prot/Ret specs.

Yep, it's those. 5 spawn points, respawn time is somewhere between 30 min to an hour.

You might not be able to solo them with 450 ilevel, but give it a shot. The main danger is getting ganked while soloing them.

They have 4 abilities out of a possible 5.

Thunder Crush: frontal cone, just run through the boss or soak with a magic CD
Meteor Shower: just dodge falling meteors, they don't one shot you
Vengeful Spirit: Summons a spirit that melees for ~100k shadow damage per hit, should probably kite
Horrific Visage: Fears you for 8 seconds, can be dangerous with a Spirit nearby, DKs can AMS this
Scarab Swarm: summons little adds with low health, basically a free source of victory rush for warriors lol

CassSept

I know all of this stuff is cool, but this is the most interesting one as it will have a tremendous impact on realm economy, I wonder how it will work out.

I just hope they won't screw up leading to 3.0-like login queues.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I know a lot of people complain about CRZ "ruining" the game, but it at least allows for some nice Horde killing in Ironforge that i wouldn't see otherwise since my realm doesnt have that many Horde. We saved Muradin!

I know all of this stuff is cool, but this is the most interesting one as it will have a tremendous impact on realm economy, I wonder how it will work out.

That's actually what I am waiting for as well. My server is medium population but the economy isn't so hot compared to some other servers I've been on and it really weirds me out at times. For example, going to sell ore to find zero of the particular ore up on the AH is just bizzaro world to me (this was for both Obsidium and Elementium, I believe. I've also ran into it with Ghost Iron Ore once). A lot of the leathers I sell can also be close to none up for me to compare prices with.

So yeah, if it means a few smaller servers I clumped together with mine or something and the AH suddenly has a lot more stuff to pick from and people going to it to buy stuff then I'm pretty excited for those changes.

But maybe it's really just going in for the lowest population servers. The site realmpop.com likely is nowhere close to being accurate in total numbers but if it's able to be used to get an idea on population sizes than my server is likely a bit too big for consideration of clumping with others.

Guess we'll just wait and see, eh?

Ultratech

Yep, it's those. 5 spawn points, respawn time is somewhere between 30 min to an hour.

You might not be able to solo them with 450 ilevel, but give it a shot. The main danger is getting ganked while soloing them.

Yeah, I haven't quite got around to soloing them yet, but I could.

My only problem is that it takes forever to do so, and of course, you run the risk of other people coming up and ganking you in the middle of the fight and stealing your mob.

I usually take one or two other people, just so we can get them down without spending a while on 'em and just in case we run into trouble.

Hell, I'm all for it. The economy on my server (Garithos) is pretty much crap.

Cipherr

I know a lot of people complain about CRZ "ruining" the game, but it at least allows for some nice Horde killing in Ironforge that i wouldn't see otherwise since my realm doesnt have that many Horde. We saved Muradin!

Indeed, we have had a lot of those raids on Stormrage lately and I love it.

Fjordson

Haha, yeah, I've been getting some great world PvP lately thanks to CRZ. It was a little crazy when they first put the feature in, but it seems to have calmed down now. Able to get some pretty epic battles in certain spots now (like yesterday on my server near the Darkmoon Faire portal in Goldshire).

ZenaxPure

I am hoping it revitalizes the AH on my server. It's kinda more dead than it should be. Mainly because even though we're a medium pop server, we're a medium pop casual server at this point - every single good guild on the server (mine included) xferred somewhere else in the past year. There is no market for stuff like flasks/food/potions, and, there is barely a market for gems. There isn't even that much competition anymore either. When I was selling gems a while back for easy gold I really only had to deal with 2 other guys undercutting me, it was almost laid back and we could all specialize in one type of gem and do fine for ourselves (as fine as we could on the server anyway).

Slayerx

*Puts tinfoil hat on*

So I was away from WoW for a few weeks, haven't done LFR in ages, haven't got a single tier piece since ToT came out. Went to LFR yesterday, tier helm, tier shoulders, no token used. Same shit happens to me in Diablo 3 when I come back from breaks, first few packs drop legendary every time.

I'm onto you Blizzard.

Bisnic

I wonder if we'll be able to get 2-3 versions of the legendary cloak for the same character, like the meta gems. My paladin is more of a healer than a DPS, but i really like the animation of the DPS cloak. I want both dammit!

RPGCrazied

Thanks for all the feedback so far, everyone. We’re still pretty early in the exploration process, but we did want to go into more detail about our rationale for introducing an in-game store, as well as provide some insight into what you might ultimately see available there.

For players who are already interested in the in-game items we offer, such as Pet Store pets and mounts, the benefits of an in-game store are pretty clear. We think everyone would appreciate the convenience of being able to make such purchases without having to leave the game, and ultimately that’s our long-term goal for the system, though there’s quite a bit of work involved in retrofitting those existing items into the new system.

First, we’ll be testing the in-game store with some new kinds of items we’re looking into introducing (in Asian regions, at the outset) based on player feedback: specifically, an experience buff to assist with the leveling process, as well as an alternate way to acquire Lesser Charms of Good Fortune. We’ve had a lot of requests from players in different regions for convenience-oriented items such as these, and as with other new ideas we’ve introduced as WoW has evolved—including Pet Store pets, mounts, and more—your feedback plays a hugely important part in determining what we add to the game.

Ultimately it’s still too early in the process to make any final determinations about our plans, but in the meantime, we hope you’ll check out the in-game store once it’s implemented on the PTR and let us know what you think.

This from bashiok on the forums, just lol. Real money for charms? This is going to get ugly if they start selling items other than cosmetic stuff.

Bisnic

This from bashiok on the forums, just lol. Real money for charms? This is going to get ugly if they start selling items other than cosmetic stuff.

I'd rather do dailies for 2 days to get my 50 lesser coins than paying real money for this.

Fjordson

Hmm. In-game store sounds...a bit worrisome. Slippery slope and all that, but we'll see.

Hopefully they won't go too nuts after witnessing the Diablo 3 real money auction house mess.

unless that was just a beta test for WoW =O

RPGCrazied

Didn't they say they would never sell items that offer another player an advantage over another? XP gain is one thing, but charms can be used for runes that can be used for gear?

I guess in the end $$$$ means everything.

Bisnic

Didn't they say they would never sell items that offer another player an advantage over another? XP gain is one thing, but charms can be used for runes that can be used for gear?

I guess in the end $$$$ means everything.

It's not really an advantage anyway, it just saves people from doing a couple of dailies or farming mobs in the Barrens. If its something like 500 lesser coins for 5$, i can see this being pretty popular. That's 10 weeks with no need for dailies for 5$!

I doubt that we'll ever see gear in there though.

scoobs

Hmm. In-game store sounds...a bit worrisome. Slippery slope and all that, but we'll see.

Hopefully they won't go too nuts after witnessing the Diablo 3 real money auction house mess.

unless that was just a beta test for WoW =O

Given how terrible the AH idea went over w/ that game... I'd doubt they'd even consider doing that again for any game... ever

Slayerx

I don't think xp potion and lesser charms will ever come to Western regions anyway, if you look at Asian servers it's a completely different situation. You pay for game time so you may decide to spend money on these things directly instead of spending money to play and get these items.

Ultratech

It's not really an advantage anyway, it just saves people from doing a couple of dailies or farming mobs in the Barrens. If its something like 500 lesser coins for 5$, i can see this being pretty popular. That's 10 weeks with no need for dailies for 5$!

I doubt that we'll ever see gear in there though.

Pretty much, it's just convenience, albeit a little silly.

And like you said, it doesn't take THAT much work just to go out there and get 50.

And even then, you're still limited to the 3 Mogu Runes (or whatever they add for next patch) each week.

ZenaxPure

It's not really an advantage anyway.

Pretty much, you practically trip over lesser charms at this point. I don't see it as being that different from xp to be honest. You do less quests and get more stuff for it. If anything the XP buff would offer more considering how fast it is to get charms. I mean shit, all the charms my shaman got last month were just from me killing rare spawns and I was easily able to get 50 per week.

Bisnic

So im looking at blue posts on the MMOchampion frontpage, and i see a lot of people complaining, wanting LFR to just go away. Is there really so many people who think like that? I think LFR is great, it allows me to do the current raiding content whenever i want and without worrying about spending many hours in them due to difficulty, so that i can go do something else during the evening once im done with it.

Probably just a bunch of stupid elitists who think only THEY should see raid content. I'm glad Blizzard isn't listening to these people. These guys already got the best gear available, raid mounts and challenge that they want from raids, what more do they want?

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
After 9 freaking kills, finally got overgrown lilypad to drop from Sele'na in Valley of four winds.

Now my friend and I can 2-man warbringers without worry.

ZenaxPure

Probably just a bunch of stupid elitists who think only THEY should see raid content. I'm glad Blizzard isn't listening to these people. These guys already got the best gear available, raid mounts and challenge that they want from raids, what more do they want?

Nah man, imo elitist implies that these people are really skilled players. The people on a forum like mmoc are probably 90% people who barely raided at all before LFR was introduced. I assume they bitch because they're too bitter they don't have the ability to not suck at the game and have to be carried through LFR each week.

Ultratech

Finally managed to get a nice transmog for my DK since he's got the Doomed Crown and all.

So im looking at blue posts on the MMOchampion frontpage, and i see a lot of people complaining, wanting LFR to just go away. Is there really so many people who think like that? I think LFR is great, it allows me to do the current raiding content whenever i want and without worrying about spending many hours in them due to difficulty, so that i can go do something else during the evening once im done with it.

Eh...tough to say.

On the one hand, it's nice to experience the content without banging my head up against the wall on progression. More so when people tend to have an idea of what to do.

On the other hand, it really tends to bring out the worst in the community since you'll end up carrying people who do jack shit and think they're all that.
Or even worse, get stuck with one or two assholes who just wanna ruin the whole thing (i.e pulling mobs/bosses early and messing with other stuff).
Then it sorta devolves into a bunch of people fighting and arguing over stupid shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom