• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally on the secret of empire quest. I need 20, they drop off bosses in ToT, yes?

Yeah, all the bosses have a chance to drop them. Drop rate seems to be roughly 30%. You'll be on the quest for roughly five weeks. Have fun!

Second week into Titan Runestones and I have four. Done in another month (hopefully)!

RPGCrazied

Yeah, all the bosses have a chance to drop them. Drop rate seems to be roughly 30%. You'll be on the quest for roughly five weeks. Have fun!

Second week into Titan Runestones and I have four. Done in another month (hopefully)!

Didn't they say they would up the drop rate on those? I thought they did. Kinda like sigils. There for awhile, they wouldn't drop at all, now after the patch, they dropped like candy for me.

Berordn

So anyway, this just happened:
biggestbrawls5cjxw.png

It's all about vengeance, Consecration is insane damage with high vengeance.

Here's a pally solo tanking Tortos log. The tank generates healing threat due to high vengeance so the bats go to him and Consecration melts them. It obviously wasn't flawless in this log, a couple deaths due to bats picking someone else.

Holy Wrath does a lot of damage too, but it divides among targets.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-t08rzmg3q3bgnx3w/sum/damageDone/?s=1824&e=2122#Drenos

Consecrate does great damage with high vengeance but has slow ticks and isn't that good in establishing initial aggro. Holy Wrath is the highest damage ability available to Protadins but the split makes it utterly undesirable when tanking more than three mobs, since you'll be lucky to get 10k on any of them without a crit (and in the case of solo-tanking Tortos, I'd have it glyphed to hit him instead).

In terms of initial aggro generation on groups, the only options are Hammer of the Righteous and Holy Prism or Light's Hammer. Without one of those hitting hard, you're bound to lose the bats to a healer or an overeager DPS. Once you've got them though, you shouldn't lose them.

mclem

No no no no no. He couldn't keep it off the DPS. :)

He's just overall a shitty player. He kept doing LFR-worthy stuff in our normal mode raid: he'd pull trash before people were ready, wiped us a few times, complained that we wiped... Everybody's happy he left, really.

He's a Paladin. 514 average ilvl. I don't know about his computer.

Believe me, I know those bats are annoying. But as a Paladin, there are good ways to keep aoe aggro on them. As a DK I have to respec to make sure I get them correctly every time (and we do this gimmick where one of our pally healers throws up RF so they all go to him just in case and I just dump DnD on him). I know they're hard to control at first. But losing aggro when you have 3 good aoe tools (Hammer, Consecrate and Holy Wrath, not to mention he can throw down a hammer and switch to Seal of Truth to have the dot on them) is just bad.

Consecrate's good for *sustaining* threat but it's poor for *burst* threat. Positioning to get good effectiveness out of hammer is tough when you're dealing with a mob descending from *above*; Holy Wrath is the only real option I could find for the pickup. That said, HW is *so* good for this purpose that I don't think there's any excuses if your pally knows it exists!

Edit: Hmmm, interesting difference of opinion above. HW may be only 8-9k per bat, but that seems adequate to grab initial threat. I do ask people not to open up on them until I've shifted them into position by Tortos, maybe that pause is key.

Slayerx

biggestbrawls5cjxw.png

Consecrate does great damage with high vengeance but has slow ticks and isn't that good in establishing initial aggro. Holy Wrath is the highest damage ability available to Protadins but the split makes it utterly undesirable when tanking more than three mobs, since you'll be lucky to get 10k on any of them without a crit (and in the case of solo-tanking Tortos, I'd have it glyphed to hit him instead).

In terms of initial aggro generation on groups, the only options are Hammer of the Righteous and Holy Prism or Light's Hammer. Without one of those hitting hard, you're bound to lose the bats to a healer or an overeager DPS. Once you've got them though, you shouldn't lose them.
Congrats :eek: I should so some brawler's guild lol I stopped at rank 7, probably because I'm terrible. It's mostly because I tank and heal so I have to respec to dps manually to do it.

Berordn

Edit: Hmmm, interesting difference of opinion above. HW may be only 8-9k per bat, but that seems adequate to grab initial threat. I do ask people not to open up on them until I've shifted them into position by Tortos, maybe that pause is key.

Could just be that my usual co-tank is a Brewmaster and SCK is just so good at AoE threat that I'm a bit jaded to the strengths of AoE Holy Wrath.

Sciz

Could just be that my usual co-tank is a Brewmaster and SCK is just so good at AoE threat that I'm a bit jaded to the strengths of AoE Holy Wrath.

Usually when we've got a group of three or four and you taunt one away, I end up picking it back up through keg smash cleave alone. SCK's just the icing on the aoe threat cake.
Breath of Fire is the ice cream on the side.

Totalriot

Just completed Thunderfury! So awesome!

GZ!

I run MC weekly with my DK and my warrior and so far the warrior lootet Garr's half three times and the DK Geddon's two times... I also got the main hand Warglaive three times but no offhand.. Yay luck!

I got my Wrathion cloak yesterday! I don't know how many times I've tried the melee challenge but I could not figure out a way to get rid of the adds. The first wave was OK because I could use all my CDs but after that I had no chance.

I then went to try the tank-challenge and boy this was easy, even with almost no tank gear at all.

My ilvl went 6 levels up after equipping this badboy oO

lordmrw

reading up on the binding farming people have done makes me realize just how insanely lucky I was 3 years ago. After I had stopped running ICC I started farming gear and for whatever reason I did Molten Core every week. The Thunderfury spamming in trade chat made me want to complete it just for the hell of it, and literally the day I looked up the necessary steps both bindings dropped in one run. I didn't realize how rare they were until I looked it up on wowhead and saw posts from people still trying to get them since vanilla.

That reddit pic of the dead server made me realize I made the right choice transferring from my old server. It wasn't quite as bad as that but it was between people waiting for the next patch and progression guilds leaving it was getting close. I transferred to Stormrage because I had made 2 alts there last summer when Dragonsoul became boring and the overflow of people is refreshing. I still do miss my old server (Nazgrel) as its the one I started on.

rallaren

This makes me think about the Warcraft movie and how awesome it has to be, but, probably, won't be. I hope it just get made though.
Great I just had my first nightmarish "real life raiding" dream. Really messed up, I wondered if I was still alive or not for like 30 minutes after waking up becuase of the feeling of being in constant life threatening danger during the whole dream. It was a mix of places in WoW and some other games (mainly MMOs like Tera and Rift) except that it was real in the dream and not computer generated. I think it started outside SSC with sort of a dark, rainy Jurassic Park jungle atmosphere and I was just some guy tagging along for loot or gold or something, we were about 5-10 people. The main person in the dream was someone else I don't know, some (blonde) american celebrity guy I think (might be a guy I played with in vanilla too when I think about it), he was the "group leader" and had some "important quest". The dream ended with him and his wife/gf marrying in Scarlet Monastery. It was f'ed up.

I have only seen Tera and Rift on Twitch and I've only played WoW about 2 times the past year - both 10 day trials.

Final edit: I'm good again at last. It's like something made up by a kindergarten kid. It was just really crazy for a while there, wishing I had a psychotherapeutic hotline number or something close by.

Nugg

Didn't they say they would up the drop rate on those? I thought they did. Kinda like sigils. There for awhile, they wouldn't drop at all, now after the patch, they dropped like candy for me.

They did not, they're still stupidly rare from Durumu through the Twin Consorts. They just made Lei Shen to have a 100% drop rate. This is my 6th consecutive week with zero runestone (not counting the one on Lei Shen).

Robin64

Woah, what the hell, more than 4 people at Shrine? That's such a bizarre sight.

My realm, EU-The Sha'tar, is absolutely dead and doesn't even have CRZ turned on (STILL) for levelling zones. You will have a zone to yourself. That might seem good, but it really kills any immersion.

The problem is, I have so many top or high level characters that migrating them all (and they all work together, really, what with professions) to a new server would cost me £120. NO THANKS.

CassSept

Wow, this really makes me understand all the complaints about WoW being dead more... I had no idea some realms were THAT dead. On mine realm both Shrine and Orgri are constantly full of people.

The picture up there of the Brawler mount made me decide I should look into that some more since I'm likely geared enough. I've been on Hexos with about ten deaths to him and me having done around 10% total damage to him. I just wasn't getting the fight. So I started tonight like that dying repeatedly. Finally I started learning some patterns and getting better at it. After roughly 30 more deaths I finally killed him as the fire was falling on me from the sky. I was going to be pretty angry if he didn't die! I blazed through Rank 8 with only a couple deaths per encounter as things went fairly smoothly. Now on Rank 9 and I'm on everyone's favorite Nibbleh. I died about five times in a row doing the slow walk backwards and only doing about 20% of his health. He was constantly pausing while spitting and he'd grow and kill me. Finally I decided I'd just tap backwards at regular speed and that's been much better. I only gave it three or four attempts and I got it down to around 10% twice and only lost because of bad turning since I still had plenty of time left and more room to move, just accidentally made a poor move. I should get past him soon and it sounds like the next boss is easy. And that leaves the last one for Rank 9. I'm uncertain how I'll do on it but I have high hopes.

Oh, and I got this guy:

So I was doing this brawler stuff way longer than I intended and stopped around 5:30am. Following that I figured I'd plant myself in my camping spot and then lie down and fall asleep soon after. My usual spot was taken by a horde but none of the other spots had anyone at them. Instead of taking the popular frozen lake spot I instead went north to Ulduar spawn and went afk. I wasn't paying much attention to the game following that and only looked to it later to move a step so I didn't get booted for being afk and I saw npcscan showed TLPD spawned! I frantically started flying around clicking like mad hoping to catch it but I had low hopes. First started along the path that runs in front of Ulduar but passed someone going the opposite direction so I ruled that out because they were likely flying the paths hoping to get TLPD. I turn back and bumble around the other way before I decide I still want to check that northernmost route. Sure enough, he's flown all the way out to Snowdrift Plains on the other side of the zone and was still alive. It was too high for me to hit initially and he wasn't aggroing to me flying in his face but thankfully no one else came up and I was able to get it with a ranged attack. I took some screenshots.

Took roughly ten days of camping. I wasn't camping the whole time and my version of camping means leaving it running in the background with the game window visible below my browser so I could catch the red flash and hear the alert (if I was wearing my headphones). This was effective for the seven or so Vyragosa kills but I completely missed the TLPD alert somehow. And this is after the previous miss earlier in the week when I dozed through the spawn while I was logged in and camping.

And now for Aeonaxx!

Edit:
They did not, they're still stupidly rare from Durumu through the Twin Consorts. They just made Lei Shen to have a 100% drop rate. This is my 6th consecutive week with zero runestone (not counting the one on Lei Shen).

Fairly certain he was referencing the Secrets of the Empire getting a boosted drop rate. And that seems like something I recall reading but I don't believe it's in the 5.4 PTR patch notes so perhaps a tweet or blue reply? I could be wrong.

RPGCrazied

Fairly certain he was referencing the Secrets of the Empire getting a boosted drop rate. And that seems like something I recall reading but I don't believe it's in the 5.4 PTR patch notes so perhaps a tweet or blue reply? I could be wrong.

Yeah. Its the quest right after the BG's and killing the 93 elite, which I had to pay someone off to help me. ;/

Oh well!

J-Roderton

Can you still buy the game time cards for WoW? Looking to resub, but I'm a little low on cash. Hoping I could trade in a few games and get some time.

Acidote

So, I just went to kill Arthas with a friend to do him a favour and I almost bugged it because I didn't die in that special phase. Oh, and this:

jbhoywcl1JDunJ.jpg

:)

Magnus

So, I just went to kill Arthas with a friend to do him a favour and I almost bugged it because I didn't die in that special phase. Oh, and this:

jbhoywcl1JDunJ.jpg

Oh shit!

Nice!

2% drop from Heroic 25m Arthas, right?

Edit- nvm, Wowhead says 4%.

Edit2- nvm, that 4% probably includes the mount's former drop rate of 100%. lol.

ampere

http://abload.de/img/biggestbrawls5cjxw.png[IMG]

In terms of initial aggro generation on groups, the only options are Hammer of the Righteous and Holy Prism or Light's Hammer. Without one of those hitting hard, you're bound to lose the bats to a healer or an overeager DPS. Once you've got them though, you shouldn't lose them.[/QUOTE]
Grats on the mount.

I'm working on Mingus Diggs, but it's really hard as melee :(

Fair enough about consecration, wasn't sure if you understood vengeance's effect, but you meant initial threat. Nothing competes with snap threat master skills Keg Smash and Dizzying Haze anyway :P
Though I'm sick of kiting bats, that's my least favorite fight...

[quote="Acidote, post: 69596106"]So, I just went to kill Arthas with a friend to do him a favour and I almost bugged it because I didn't die in that special phase. Oh, and this:

[IMG]http://i6.minus.com/jbhoywcl1JDunJ.jpg

Congrats fellow Invincible rider :). That's my favorite mount in the game.

sqwarlock

So I've never soloed any old raids before, and I have an itch to do so. Unfortunately, my only 90 is a priest, and I'm guessing they're not too good at soloing old content. I've got a 490 ilvl, but that's for my Disc spec (don't have a dedicated Shadow set at the moment).

What I'm wondering is: what is the most recent raid I'd be able to solo?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
So I've never soloed any old raids before, and I have an itch to do so. Unfortunately, my only 90 is a priest, and I'm guessing they're not too good at soloing old content. I've got a 490 ilvl, but that's for my Disc spec (don't have a dedicated Shadow set at the moment).

My mage can easily solo some of the WOTLK raids. But haven't tried ICC, Ulduar or the Argent Tournament raid though. You probably wouldnt have any trouble as a priest since you can heal yourself, it will just take longer to kill stuff.

J-Roderton

cdyhybrid

Unless they accommodate soloing I'll never be able to do ICC with my main... Valithria :(

We 5/6-manned all the 25man achievements on Heroic last nice aside from the Blood Prices, half of Blood Queen, and LK. Was the first time I'd seen the raid, I quit for a while right before ICC went live. Must have been hardcore as hell learning that raid back when it was current content.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
We 5/6-manned all the 25man achievements on Heroic last nice aside from the Blood Prices, half of Blood Queen, and LK. Was the first time I'd seen the raid, I quit for a while right before ICC went live. Must have been hardcore as hell learning that raid back when it was current content.

On Heroic 25, sure, but WLK 10 mans were very easy. I'd say they were marginally more difficult than LFR, and generally what I'm expecting Flex Raid to be.

Magnus

Transmog sharing time?

(My character's name was Leoben back on Suramar, after the BSG Cylon - was taken on Mal'ganis, so, in keeping with the Asian flair of MOP, I decided to append Bento Box and roll with it, lol)

I'm rocking some green Raiden/asian hat (wtb other colours/textures on the same model - advice?), the Cloth healer set from Sunwell Plateau, my beloved Val'anyr, and the Inscribed Red Fan I bought so I'd have something in my Off-Hand while in town with Val, haha.

vocab

Im really not sure of the dps output a disc preist has, but you should start small and try Malygos.

Magnus

7 years later, finally getting rid of my last 16-slotter in the bank. Feels good man.

lol

They're all 20+ now, a mix of Quest Rewards, Dragon/Mag-bag boss drops, 1 36-slot Ench bag, Frostweave bags or better.

sqwarlock

Grrrrr, just tried to solo Sartharion 3D in my shadow spec about 6 times. That one drake that enrages gets me every fucking time. If it weren't for that one drake, it'd be easy as shit.

Tarazet

I've rolled every class now, decided that my primary alt has to be a Night Elf Druid to go with my Troll Druid. It just can't be any other way. Druids are too good.

sqwarlock

I've rolled every class now, decided that my primary alt has to be a Night Elf Druid to go with my Troll Druid. It just can't be any other way. Druids are too good.

I really want to level a druid alt, but I don't want to go feral cat because they seem too similar to my rogue for my taste. How's balance or resto for leveling?

Tamanon

Banned
I really want to level a druid alt, but I don't want to go feral cat because they seem too similar to my rogue for my taste. How's balance or resto for leveling?

Balance is good for leveling. They now hit really hard, which makes soloing easy.

Resto is still slow solo, but perfect in dungeons.

ZenaxPure

Grrrrr, just tried to solo Sartharion 3D in my shadow spec about 6 times. That one drake that enrages gets me every fucking time. If it weren't for that one drake, it'd be easy as shit.

Sarth 3D is rough. I wasn't able to solo it until I was around 515 ilvl or so AND changed every single glyph and talent I had to be defense heavy. Even then it took me like 20 attempts though.

Granted I am a rogue and we have insane defensive CDs, I am not sure how a priest would do it.

edit: I guess I should mention this was 25 man. I imagine 10 man is considerably easier.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
A bit too fast but it was the best I could do without splitting it into two files:

wowcinematicqeuly.gif

Sarth 3D is rough. I wasn't able to solo it until I was around 515 ilvl or so AND changed every single glyph and talent I had to be defense heavy. Even then it took me like 20 attempts though.

Granted I am a rogue and we have insane defensive CDs, I am not sure how a priest would do it.

edit: I guess I should mention this was 25 man. I imagine 10 man is considerably easier.

Is this with killing the drakes or just burning down Sarth? I've done 3D10 solo when I was lower geared by just burning but I've read it still counts if you just kill each drake as it comes down. I imagine I could do 3D25 now if I used that method.

Edit: By killing drakes I mean when they join the fight one at a time. Not before, obviously.

ZenaxPure

Is this with killing the drakes or just burning down Sarth? I've done 3D10 solo when I was lower geared by just burning but I've read it still counts if you just kill each drake as it comes down. I imagine I could do 3D25 now if I used that method.

Edit: By killing drakes I mean when they join the fight one at a time. Not before, obviously.

Nah I just burned Sarth. You can't kill each drake since the second drake makes Sarth immune to attacks and opens a portal you have to go through, but, going through the portal solo resets the fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom