• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berordn

Yeah but virtual realms are not going to make my server look more alive. SW will be as empty as it is right now, no?

No. They're server mergers, plain and simple. Everyone on a virtual realm is effectively on the same realm, everyone on it will be in all the major home cities and Pandaria.

ZenaxPure

No. They're server mergers, plain and simple. Everyone on a virtual realm is effectively on the same realm, everyone on it will be in all the major home cities and Pandaria.

Yep. They are server merges without some of the more negative aspects of it (like having to rename your dude cause someone is an asshole). That is why I see no point in transferring right now. I have hope that my server will end up in a place where it is constantly full but not que time full.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
People are either a lot dumber than I thought, or purposefully being stupid.

The amount of "Why isn't the game F2P then?" With the 3 new helmets and mount announced is baffling. As if 3 helmets could replace 8~ million subs a month.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
People are either a lot dumber than I thought, or purposefully being stupid.

The amount of "Why isn't the game F2P then?" With the 3 new helmets and mount announced is baffling. As if 3 helmets could replace 8~ million subs a month.

I expect to see WoW go F2P, but that point is several years off at least.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

Oh, so if all i want is the feeling to be really in a MMO with people all around me, there's no point to transfer with virtual realms coming.

Berordn

Oh, so if all i want is the feeling to be really in a MMO with people all around me, there's no point to transfer with virtual realms coming.

At the moment it would be inadvisable, anyway. We'll have to see how the virtual realms work in action but if you just want to be on a more populated server that's what they're there for.

5.4 brings outfits for the Perky Pug. So yeah.

Not a fan of the Perky Pug but I'd be up for outfits for more as long as they're earned in the game and not with real money.

I'll be honest, after playing the demo for Final Fantasy XIII-2 one big reason I was interested in picking the game up once I found it cheap enough was because how amused I was dressing up the few pets you get in the demo. It's so dumb but in a way I enjoy. I'd bring out my Magical Crawdad more often if I could have him wearing a top hat.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
First dungeon of Pandaria is surprisingly engaging, a nice change of pace from Cata.

ampere

I would also agree that it is best to wait on server transferring at this point. Virtual Realms should almost definitely fix low pop realms, and like people are saying it's a server merge where you keep your name.

I need to start doing them but it's very difficult to find a group :/ Everyone is scared of them.

Try to find a group on openraid that is doing bronze/silver runs and watch some videos to learn them. Once you learn how each dungeon works you can go for a better time.

Bisnic

So, i just finised the Pandaren starting zone(yeah i know im late), and the face those 2 pandarens do when i managed to hit King Varian was hilarious. Does choosing the Horde have you fight Garrosh in a similar way?

That giant turtle's head was nicely done, the WoW engine have come a long way since 2004.

cdyhybrid

So, i just finised the Pandaren starting zone(yeah i know im late), and the face those 2 pandarens do when i managed to hit King Varian was hilarious. Does the choosing the Horde have you fight Garrosh in a similar way?

That giant turtle's head was nicely done, the WoW engine have come a long way since 2004.
Garrosh throws the player and Ji into the arena in Orgrimmar and says he wants to see the mythical Pandaren fighting style and makes them fight to the death against some huge creatures.

So glad we get to kill him.

Nerokis

Hey, guys. It feels like it's been years since I last played WoW (quit at some point during Cataclysm, and by then had already taken several long breaks), but I have a question for those of you enjoying Pandaria.

I remember when it was first announced, there was a widely spoken "WoW is jumping the shark" sentiment. For some, the Pandaren came out of nowhere, and it was difficult to get excited over an expansion that starred characters players had no previous investment in. This was the first expansion not to feature a central antagonist with a long history in the universe, or to not even have a central antagonist at all.

All this time later, do the Pandaren feel like they're really well implemented into the universe? Are there Pandaren heroes you'd be excited to see play an important role in the future, much like there are Orc/Human/etc. heroes everyone loves?

cdyhybrid

Hey, guys. It feels like it's been years since I last played WoW (quit at some point during Cataclysm, and by then had already taken several long breaks), but I have a question for those of you enjoying Pandaria.

I remember when it was first announced, there was a widely spoken "WoW is jumping the shark" sentiment. For some, the Pandaren came out of nowhere, and it was difficult to get excited over an expansion that starred characters players had no previous investment in. This was the first expansion not to feature a central antagonist with a long history in the universe, or to not even have a central antagonist at all.

All this time later, do the Pandaren feel like they're really well implemented into the universe? Are there Pandaren heroes you'd be excited to see play an important role in the future, much like there are Orc/Human/etc. heroes everyone loves?

There are some interesting characters, but they don't have the history and connections to lore (yet) that characters like Jaina, Sylvanas, Thrall, etc. have. I'd like to see more of them but it's not the same.

Bisnic

Most people got over it with the whole panda drama. Especially since this expansion is pretty good after all.
The only ones still crying about it are people who do not even play this game.

Most heroes of this expansion has been the usual Alliance and Horde heroes. There is maybe two or three noteworthy pandarens, but i doubt we'll see them again. Pandaria was just an excuse for Blizzard to get rid of Garrosh before the return of the Burning Legion. :lol

Fjordson

I think the Pandaren are well implement and I'm enjoying the new lore.

As for iconic Pandaren heroes and whatnot? Hmm. Not really. At least not yet as cdhybrid mentioned.

But all of the new content is top notch I think. Some of the best they've done in years, so that overshadowed any lore shortcomings (and like I said, once I actually started getting into the Pandaria questlines I started enjoying the lore).

And there's actually a lot of shine given to famous Alliance and Horde figures that have been around since long before MoP, so that also helps with the new lore I think.

Ceebs

Finished The Jade Forest tonight. Yeah that may be the best zone in the game from a pure enjoyment factor. Really like how they tie the whole zone together with the story stuff. Hope this level of quality keeps up (if it does I may just burn through all the quests straight through after hitting 90)

I do have a question though. Once I get around to wanting to do the end game stuff how hard will it be to find guilds/pugs just starting the raid content? No desire to go back to the 8 hours a night 5 days a week progression grind I ran back during Wrath though. I assume there are all sorts of shortcuts to bypass the first tier by now, but I would want to still want to see it.

Is it still the same cycle of gear up in max level 5 mans, then the heroics, then the raids?

*Uldum and Hyjal were really the highlights from Cataclysm from what I saw

cdyhybrid

Finished The Jade Forest tonight. Yeah that may be the best zone in the game from a pure enjoyment factor. Really like how they tie the whole zone together with the story stuff. Hope this level of quality keeps up (if it does I may just burn through all the quests straight through after hitting 90)

I do have a question though. Once I get around to wanting to do the end game stuff how hard will it be to find guilds/pugs just starting the raid content? No desire to go back to the 8 hours a night 5 days a week progression grind I ran back during Wrath though. I assume there are all sorts of shortcuts to bypass the first tier by now, but I would want to still want to see it.

Is it still the same cycle of gear up in max level 5 mans, then the heroics, then the raids?

*Uldum and Hyjal were really the highlights from Cataclysm from what I saw

If you're on a well-populated server it won't be a problem at all. I see PUGs being advertised in trade for pretty much every dungeon most of the day.

You can also run LFR to see the fights (although the mechanics will be gimped to make them easy) and you'll be able to gear up for the current tier.

ZenaxPure

Haters gonna hate, Taoshi > every other hero. Best rogue character they've ever had in lore ;_;

Is it still the same cycle of gear up in max level 5 mans, then the heroics, then the raids

Yes and no. By the time you reach max level you should have enough gear to just jump straight into heroic dungeons. At launch they didn't even have normal modes for a lot of the dungeons (heroics are like wrath-level easy this time around). After that you can start raiding, but there are other opportunities as well. Two of the big features this expansion are Scenarios and Challenge mode dungeons. Challenge mode is pretty straight forward (capped ilvl timed dungeon run) with scenarios being more creative 3 man instances with no role requirements. The first heroic scenario and challenge mode dungeon you do per day gives a treasure chest that can have gear in it, this gear is a higher ilvl than anything you can get in the first tier of raiding, and, better than the current tier of LFR gear.

I mention this because I think given where we are in the patch cycle you probably won't have a good shot at getting into a lot of current tier raid PUGs at this point. Realistically it will probably take you a few weeks of gearing up before you get to a point where people will want to take you to the normal modes of the current tier. So your best bet at getting gear in the mean time would be to run LFR a lot and do a daily Heroic scenarios when you get to the required item level to unlock them (and a daily Challenge mode dungeon but these are harder to get parties for unless you have friends). To be honest if you just want to raid on your own time there is no harm in just doing LFR. A lot of us in this thread do it and we're plenty satisfied with it even if it's extremely easy.

Also my post is already too long but it's always worth mentioning that MoP has made an effort to break the mold of that "gear cycle" you speak of. There is A LOT of optional content at max level you can do that isn't just the endless loop of raiding and getting gear. If you want to play the game but not get stuck into just raiding you can always check out stuff like challenge modes (especially since these barely have a gear requirement), the brawler's guild, pet battles, proving grounds next patch, your own custom farm, one of the billion different daily hubs, the various grinding activities they added, and a bunch of other smaller shit. There is a plethora of stuff to do once you hit level 90 that doesn't involve raiding and it can be very relaxing if you get bored of the grind of raids.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I don't get the love for Jade Forest.. it's aight.. but nutin amazing. Soon as I had the chance I went to Valley of Four and was like yep, this my spot. Instantly knew it was the Nagrand of the expansion, and we all know Nagrand is the greatest zone in the game ever.

If you want to play the game but not get stuck into just raiding you can always check out stuff like challenge modes (especially since these barely have a gear requirement), the brawler's guild, pet battles, proving grounds next patch, your own custom farm, one of the billion different daily hubs, the various grinding activities they added, and a bunch of other smaller shit.

..or the real content of the game - pvp.

I'm really bad with character names but I can say Chen Stormstout should continue to show up. That'd be swell. And the one that does story time in the Seat of Knowledge. Those are two memorable pandas.

And let's be honest, a panda is going to become the new Warchief. We all know that's coming and we just don't want to admit it.

In other news my camp for Poseidus this week was unsuccessful. It spawned at one of the other five spawn points. Oh well!

Fjordson

Holy shit. I just killed Oondasta and got the mount: http://www.wowhead.com/item=94228#comments

Is this a common drop or something? Because I've literally never, in my 9 years of playing WoW, gotten a rare mount to drop :lol

Also, I have a really dumb question about world bosses. How do you like...see the loot? Or roll for loot? I've done Sha a bunch, Oon, and Nalak, but I've never gotten to roll for loot and I never see any loot. And I see a lot of talk about rolling for loot or using "bonus rolls" but I've never gotten an option to do that when I kill a world boss.

Has Blizz changed how raid loot works and I'm just ignorant? World bosses are the only things bigger than a 5 man that I've done since Wrath.

Holy shit. I just killed Oondasta and got the mount: http://www.wowhead.com/item=94228#comments

Is this a common drop or something? Because I've literally never, in my 9 years of playing WoW, gotten a rare mount to drop :lol

Also, I have a really dumb question about world bosses. How do you like...see the loot? Or roll for loot? I've done Sha a bunch, Oon, and Nalak, but I've never gotten to roll for loot and I never see any loot. And I see a lot of talk about rolling for loot or using "bonus rolls" but I've never gotten an option to do that when I kill a world boss.

Has Blizz changed how raid loot works and I'm just ignorant? World bosses are the only things bigger than a 5 man that I've done since Wrath.

World bosses, LFR, and soon Flex Raids all have a different loot system. Essentially everyone has an individual chance to win loot. So there's a possibility that every single person gets a piece of loot.

Think of it like this: The game does an internal roll of 100 and if it's higher than 75 you get loot, lower than you get gold. Then if it decides you get loot it does a separate roll to decide what you get for your particular class and spec. And this is on an individual level so it doesn't matter if five other people already got loot.

As for extra rolls you can use Elder Charms or Mogu Runes (purchased with Lesser Charms) to get an extra roll. These are fairly limited so deciding each week how to spend your extra roll can be important.

Elder Charms only come from the Isle of Thunder Trove of the Treasure King solo scenario you run by getting a key on the island from killing rares or looting random rare chests that spawn on the isle. Every week you can turn in a quest costing 50 Lesser Charms to get three Mogu Runes.

Edit: Forgot to add this:

Elder Charms are used on MSV, HoF, and ToES along with Galleon and Sha of Anger

Mogu Runes are used in ToT, Nalak, and Oondasta.

Presumably there'll be a new type used in Siege of Orgrimmar and the world bosses coming with 5.4. If that's the case I imagine they'll continue to be purchased with Lesser Charms and Mogu Runes will come from another method (possibly another solo scenario situation like they brought around for Isle of Thunder in 5.2,

ZenaxPure

World Bosses use the LFR loot system. The game does a behind the scenes roll for your character and if you roll x value you get loot. Keeps it completely separate from everyone else so there is no competition.

Bonus rolls are from charms you can get. Oondasta/Nalak charms are from exchanging 50 lesser charms for 3 Mogu Runes of Fate, Galleon/Sha charms come from doing shit on the Isle of Thunder (the main thing is the treasure run)

edit: dammit wibble, beat me like we all beat gnomes. Also

..or the real content of the game - pvp.

You will eventually come to the realization that the majority of people playing the game don't give a fuck about pvp.

Fjordson

Oh okay, thanks guys. So if I'm not missing out on loot, it's just that the RNG system simply didn't award me any. Got it. Man, so much different than the first few expansions. I have a lot to catch up on.

And that explains what those Lesser Charms are for...I have 435 :lol

Also, this Direhorn mount is awesome. Still shocked I won this thing.

ZenaxPure

Oh okay, thanks guys. So if I'm not missing out on loot, it's just that the RNG system simply didn't award me any. Got it. Man, so much different than the first few expansions. I have a lot to catch up on.

I patiently await the day you get into ToT LFR and come back to this thread full of angry tears.

Fjordson

Honestly. I've seen one person with the mount, and that person wasn't even on my server. It's pretty damn rare.
Wtf. Wild. 9 years in the making baby!

Karma for all my Ravenlord farming. And those Mysterious Eggs in Sholazar...oh god, those eggs.

Eklipsis

No one else wanted to play Show and Tell with Transmog? =/

I go...I was rocking Dragonstalker set but started working on something a little more custom,,,any thoughts or suggestions?

WoWScrnShot_071413_015148_zps5388a72d.jpg

Slayerx

Wtf. Wild. 9 years in the making baby!

Karma for all my Ravenlord farming. And those Mysterious Eggs in Sholazar...oh god, those eggs.
Randomly got my green drake from loot satchel for tanking 5 mans, wasn't even trying for it really. As for Ravenlord I was running it ages ago with my buddy when it was only available to Druids, when it dropped one day I passed and gave it to him. I got mine a few weeks later, karma is real :eek:

Fjordson

Randomly got my green drake from loot satchel for tanking 5 mans, wasn't even trying for it really. As for Ravenlord I was running it ages ago with my buddy when it was only available to Druids, when it dropped one day I passed and gave it to him. I got mine a few weeks later, karma is real :eek:
Fuck, I'm jealous.

I think the Green and Blue Protos are my most wanted mounts ever. I don't even bother with the egg anymore, though =[

This direhorn mount is a nice consolation. Its idle animations when you press jump are sweet.

Slayerx

Fuck, I'm jealous.

I think the Green and Blue Protos are my most wanted mounts ever. I don't even bother with the egg anymore, though =[

This direhorn mount is a nice consolation. Its idle animations when you press jump are sweet.
Yeah, dire horn is a very cool mount.

Blue protodrake is not too bad since you can do it every day, its just dumb luck RNG :/ which reminds me....still on 5 runestones what a shit game, supposedly next stage will be really short.

CassSept

I'm nearing 70 kills on Skadi over the last two months with my two characters and I still can't get Blue Proto, this is ridiculous ;_; I don't think I ever saw it back in WotLK either

Fjordson

I'm nearing 70 kills on Skadi over the last two months with my two characters and I still can't get Blue Proto, this is ridiculous ;_; I don't think I ever saw it back in WotLK either
I saw it twiced during Wrath in 5 mans and lost the roll both times =[

Later on I farmed it by myself for months to no avail. Given up on it at this point.

Do healers get that reward satchel from 5 mans? And can the Blue photo show up in that? Maybe I'll see it after I level up my disc priest. Really my only hope at this point.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?

Took me about 15 kills

>.>

To be fair its probably the RNG gods making up for the fact I ran heroic shattered halls back in BC a good 40-50 times, and swear to god, never saw my dungeon set gloves drop even once.

Took me about 15 kills

>.>

To be fair its probably the RNG gods making up for the fact I ran heroic shattered halls back in BC a good 40-50 times, and swear to god, never saw my dungeon set gloves drop even once.

Took me about 15 kills as well. That's ignoring the 15 I probably ran it in the past, I suppose, when the content was still current. Still, that's not bad. Everyone is going to get their lucky drops while also having some stuff that's very unlucky.

Sea Turtle - Got on my second or third cast into a pool on this character.
Onyxian Drake - Took 10 kills on this character (and only about 12 total across all)
Fiery Warhorse (Kara mount) - Took seven or eight kills (15 total across all)
Green Proto Drake - Maybe 10 eggs?

And then some of my unlucky drops?

Vitreous - Hit 180 Slabhide kills and still nothing.
Old Cranky/Ironjaw - I've caught them twice each and all four took me over 1,000 casts each.
Headless Horseman mount - Everyone flies around on this guy and I never get him to drop each year.

I'm still waiting on ZG mounts, Blue Drake (one of two mounts from Malygos), Ashes of A'lar, Alysrazor mount, and plenty of others. I run those listed right there all weekly. Slabhide I run around four times a day on average.

I find the best way to not get annoyed about rare drops is to not click the corpse expecting to see the corpse but instead get into a rote routine and then when the mount does arrive it'll be a great surprise and you'll feel fantastic. Takes away weekly disappointment and in its place gives you occasional surprises instead of relief that doesn't make up for the months/years of trying for specific mounts.

Or at least that's how I go about it.

Cipherr

Man, I have a 90 Hunter now and a 90 Mage, but all I want to play is my priest. Since I got VuhDo all set up and leveled my disc priest I have really enjoyed playing it. Im starting to get the hang of it, but extreme group damage (in normal runs while leveling) still throws me off a lot. And I find myself struggling to understand when I should use Spirit Shell.

But the more I learn the fights and the bosses abilities in more detail, the more I can figure out how to anticipate big tank damage and big amounts of incoming group damage.

The playstyle is a lot different from ranged DPS. I normally only bothered to learn about fight mechanics that involved myself for the most part. But now I need to know everything about each fight and all of the trash. Its important to be able to anticipate that stuff as a healer. Its crazy how new the game feels trying a healer for the first time.

I also farm the blue drake, but only on my hunter because I can skip to that part using Camo.

Do you all really kill your way through all that crap once a day? It would drive me crazy if I couldnt just stealth past all of it. Takes me only a couple minutes to killem and get out.

cdyhybrid

I also farm the blue drake, but only on my hunter because I can skip to that part using Camo.

Do you all really kill your way through all that crap once a day? It would drive me crazy if I couldnt just stealth past all of it. Takes me only a couple minutes to killem and get out.

Killing trash doesn't take that long, and I can make a little gold off the drops. Besides, it's either that or run in circles in the Shrine :p

CassSept

Oh, RNG gods probably despise me because I've always had terrible luck. The only time I actually had luck was in T9 when the entire Trial of the Grand Crusader started dropping rogue items like crazy. For once I was able to gear up properly, it was weird. Even more so, as that was the time when I seriously considered quitting WoW. It was like the game tried to pull me back in. Those mounts that I farmed in that time dropped relatively fast (MGT and Anzu) too.

Other than that, nope. I guess I got Ashes of Al'ar pretty fast, after only 2 months of solo-farming TK.

Sea Turtle? No. Onyxian Drake? No. Fiery Warhorse? No. RNG event mounts? Not even one. Warglaives? My guild had BT on farm for half a year and not a single glaive dropped, while other guilds were getting them on their first kill. I finally got recently (1.5 month ago?) the main hand one and then... two weeks later main hand again. Green Proto? Oh I got it this week at last, but I'd wager I was at well over 100 eggs by now.

I'm well past disappointment phase right now, I just don't care any more :D

On my paladin I think it only takes me like half a minute more than on my rogue. You only really have to kill 4 packs to get to Skadi, there's no point in killing everything when you can skip almost everything.

Fjordson

Does anyone know of a working mod for queue alerts? Whether for battlegrounds or arenas or scenarios?

I was watching a WoW stream on Twitch earlier, and he had the sound muted and the game alt+tabbed, but every time his BG queue popped a female voice alert came through his sound saying "Queue Ready" (or maybe battleground ready, can't remember).

ZenaxPure

Sea Turtle? No.

Sea Turtle is my favorite mount story. I put off farming it FOR YEARS. I was just like "Oh I will get around to it someday I am sure". Wrath goes by I don't bother, Cata goes by I don't bother, in MoP when we discover they are putting in another mount achievement (150) I decide now is the time. I get my preparations complete, load up my list of podcasts that need to be played, head to a place I know people won't be at, and start to fish. Get the thing on like my first or second cast. Was oddly disappointing because I was mentally prepared to fish for hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom