• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

strafer

That fucking green proto drake egg. Started in the beginning of wotlk and bought as soon as I finished the quest line. Took 5 ½ months. Then I got it. :/

NEVER AGAIN.

ampere

which reminds me....still on 5 runestones what a shit game, supposedly next stage will be really short.

I wouldn't say "shit game", but I agree the Titan Runestone collecting quest is miserable and before they changed Lei Shen to always drop one I was on track to take about 6 months to finish the quest. I think I've gotten 4 from 10 weeks of full clears other than from Lei Shen after the the hotfix that made him always drop one.

Very poorly designed quest, at least I will finish it soon.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Yeah, dire horn is a very cool mount.

Blue protodrake is not too bad since you can do it every day, its just dumb luck RNG :/ which reminds me....still on 5 runestones what a shit game, supposedly next stage will be really short.

I got my blue protodrake the hardest way... by doing Utgarde Keep with a 5 man group back when WOTLK was current content and winning the roll. I wasn't even farming for the thing, it just happened to drop!

Ceebs

Randomly got my green drake from loot satchel for tanking 5 mans, wasn't even trying for it really. As for Ravenlord I was running it ages ago with my buddy when it was only available to Druids, when it dropped one day I passed and gave it to him. I got mine a few weeks later, karma is real :eek:

Wow I hate you. I did that dungeon every day in BC once I finished the quest to spawn the bird, and at least 4 times a week during what I played of wrath and NEVER saw the mount drop.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I expect to see WoW go F2P, but that point is several years off at least.

People expect it to happen when the sub numbers drop even more, it makes sense to them since MMOs always do it whenever they're in a nose dive.

As far as the people running and invested in the company are concerned, a loss of 4~ million customers is a nosedive. It will go F2P soon, and start making tons more money. They always make a ton when its F2P.

You will eventually come to the realization that the majority of people playing the game don't give a fuck about pvp.

I've been on 3 servers in MoP, and it seems to really vary from server to server. Trade chat is either full of people LF people for raids, or full of people looking for RBGs.

I think with the advent of LFR, people care about Raiding less. It definitely made me into a hardcore pvp nerd.

Berordn

I think with the advent of LFR, people care about Raiding less. It definitely made me into a hardcore pvp nerd.

I don't think it's that they care less, just that it's less of a concern for them to do organized 10s and 25s. When you can click a button to get into a raid instance without the hassle of organization, guild drama or fight execution, that's going to appeal to a lot of people.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Well, also I think this expac has something to be desired with the raids. They look cool and awesome and stuff, but there was just something about the theme of BC and WotLK. I didn't realize I would care so much about what kind of enemies I was fighting.

I know I'm in the minority, but I've heard the sentiment before as well.

Finished The Jade Forest tonight. Yeah that may be the best zone in the game from a pure enjoyment factor. Really like how they tie the whole zone together with the story stuff. Hope this level of quality keeps up (if it does I may just burn through all the quests straight through after hitting 90)

I kinds lost the chain quest when I helped the shadopan, I dont know how to start the Horde invasion to Pandarea

Berordn

Well, also I think this expac has something to be desired with the raids. They look cool and awesome and stuff, but there was just something about the theme of BC and WotLK. I didn't realize I would care so much about what kind of enemies I was fighting.

I know I'm in the minority, but I've heard the sentiment before as well.

The Mantid and the Sha have a lot of buildup if you've been questing so the theming works. The T14 raids are just boring. Heart of Fear is a pretty lame looking zone with almost nothing in it, and MSV and Terrace are the same architecture you see in the Vale, so that does it no favors.

ToT by comparison is a massive, well-crafted zone with a lot of scenery and it works to make the place seem more like a massive dungeon on the scale of Ulduar. The Thunder King had been hinted at the whole time and is a pretty good place to extend the story to.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
The Mantid and the Sha have a lot of buildup if you've been questing so the theming works. The T14 raids are just boring. Heart of Fear is a pretty lame looking zone with almost nothing in it, and MSV and Terrace are the same architecture you see in the Vale, so that does it no favors.

ToT by comparison is a massive, well-crafted zone with a lot of scenery and it works to make the place seem more like a massive dungeon on the scale of Ulduar. The Thunder King had been hinted at the whole time and is a pretty good place to extend the story to.

It's just my opinion, and I know not a lot of people have played WC3/TFT, but it just feels like the stuff relevant to those two games were much better done.

It doesn't feel like we're fighting Villians anymore, we're fighting bad guys.

Sciz

I'll never understand how WC3's plot developed a fanbase. It was the beginning of Blizzard's bad writing, not the end of their good.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I'll never understand how WC3's plot developed a fanbase. It was the beginning of Blizzard's bad writing, not the end of their good.

Aye, the shift from WC->WC2->WC3 is pretty drastic. The WC2 manual and lore are so well done.. and then..

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Standard 1% chance mount. Though the world bosses are slightly different in that bonus rolls will give you a second chance for the week.

Raid mounts are usually 2%.

People expect it to happen when the sub numbers drop even more, it makes sense to them since MMOs always do it whenever they're in a nose dive.

As far as the people running and invested in the company are concerned, a loss of 4~ million customers is a nosedive. It will go F2P soon, and start making tons more money. They always make a ton when its F2P.

Is there any evidence to support any of this? Because I think there isn't. I'm talking the facts down to the premise; this is all speculative.

Cipherr

Is there any evidence to support any of this? Because I think there isn't. I'm talking the facts down to the premise; this is all speculative.

Not really. Scale matters, and somehow noone ever considers this. The game still has like, what 7-8 million subscribers? Its just flat out not comparable to the LOTRO's and SWTOR's that go F2P when they crash below 300k active subscriptions.

People pretend like its the exact same thing, but its not.... I'm sure they want infrastructure in place for WoW's twilight years in the future, but it is nowhere near needing to go F2P right now, and it wont. For now they will make the sub money on top of the money in the store for vanity items and stuff like exp potions. They can have their cake and eat it too when the game is this successful.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
I don't think it's that they care less, just that it's less of a concern for them to do organized 10s and 25s. When you can click a button to get into a raid instance without the hassle of organization, guild drama or fight execution, that's going to appeal to a lot of people.

Hell, for me I don't even mind that stuff, its that traditional raiding does not work well for me at all because of my schedule. Being able to just queue up and raid whenever is convenient for me, is a godsend.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Not really. Scale matters, and somehow noone ever considers this. The game still has like, what 7-8 million subscribers? Its just flat out not comparable to the LOTRO's and SWTOR's that go F2P when they crash below 300k active subscriptions.

People pretend like its the exact same thing, but its not.... I'm sure they want infrastructure in place for WoW's twilight years in the future, but it is nowhere near needing to go F2P right now, and it wont. For now they will make the sub money on top of the money in the store for vanity items and stuff like exp potions. They can have their cake and eat it too when the game is this successful.

Growth > all. WoW isn't making as much money and there's less for the pile, that's all they care about.

Draxal

I've been on 3 servers in MoP, and it seems to really vary from server to server. Trade chat is either full of people LF people for raids, or full of people looking for RBGs.

1. Wow is a very old game, you'll find very few people consistently raiding that entire time. It's a reason why Blizzard has done so many pve system changes, recently as the the entire concept of raiding is old.

2. Pandaria raiding badly needed a middle ground type of raiding as the jump in difficulty from lfr to normal was too old.

3. Imho, mmo Themeparks rpg pvp sucks compared to other forms of pvp games (HI MOBA), and wow really hasn't done itself in any favors with all the nonstop system changes.

Ahhh finally got my 600 cloak

Hated the fact for the quest after the Titan Runes quest,
that one of Wrathion's attacks for the Ranged DPS challenge does not match up with the pattern on the floor. Read up on how other people were having trouble with it and it seemed that the attack was shifted more in one direction than what was shown on the floor. Also if it wasn't for the trick with the adds, I don't think I would have been able to complete it as soon as I had.

Fjordson

Was doing dailies with a hunter buddy of mine from my guild, and he was saying that Marksmanship will probably be stronger than BM next patch because of nerfs. Sucks if true, I'm going to miss all of these BM-only pets I always use =[

Slayerx

Cata gets a lot of shit (rightfully so) but to be honest it had the best dungeons. They are all massive and look gorgeous, better than 90% of WoW raids. Just finished Vortex Pinnacle and it always amazes me, especially the clouds enveloping the pillars. It blows my mind that they would spend all their design and art effort on freaking dungeons over raids. The only good looking raid was Firelands (apart from ToFW) and it suffered from being too orange. What a terribly mismanaged expansion, it could have been so much more and it hurts that I can still see all the ingredients in place for greatness :(

ZenaxPure

I actually don't hate Cata myself (it just had shit all to do and I only logged in 9 hours a week to be productive) but, yeah, I really enjoyed the dungeons as well. Throne of Tides is still the best looking dungeon they've ever made imo.

Also not completely on the same topic, but, I also really loved the Cata soundtrack. Firelands music was amazing and The Shattering is my favorite version of the login screen music.

I think it's amusing that the only Cata zone I really disliked was Uldum seeing as how I always see that listed as the best zone from that expansion or listed as one of the best zones overall. Probably due to the color palette or something but generally I just hate that zone. It's always the last one I want to finish up when leveling or clearing up achievements.

Deepholm is the best Cata zone by far.

Fjordson

What mouse do you guys all use? I need to pick up a new gaming mouse. Preferably nothing more than $50 or so. Not really sure what people are into these days, I've just been using an MX518 for like years and years.

I had a lot of fun in Cata too. I'm not a huge raider but I enjoyed the content/zones/dungeons and old world revamp.
Same here had fun in Cata as well. Though once I finished with the new content in zones and leveling I lost interest pretty quickly.

MoP has already held my attention for much longer.

This one looks nice for MMO's http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Vengean...0&skuId=8324318&st=M65&cp=1&lp=3#tab=overview - could get it for $19 with this $50 gift card I have at Best Buy.

ZenaxPure

What mouse do you guys all use? I need to pick up a new gaming mouse. Preferably nothing more than $50 or so. Not really sure what people are into these days, I've just been using an MX518 for like years and years.

I bought a WoW steel series mouse at xmas last year and I've greatly enjoyed it. Really comfortable, main reason I wanted it was it has 13 mouse buttons but they are positioned in a fairly comfortable way (though my hands are too small to really make use of it fully). It also comes with some custom WoW software that lets you change the binding of each button based on what character you are logged on and stuff, I generally don't use that feature though.

Only downside is a new one is rather expensive, I bought an older model that was used for $40 or so. Probably not really worth it unless you are big on mouse keybindings, which, I am. About 20 of my total bindings are on the mouse (including modifiers).

Magnus

Wireless logitech. Nothin' fancy. Having two new buttons where my thumb rests on the side is a revelation for extra things like autorun and whatever else I want to map to them. Wish I had that in my raiding days, haha!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Growth > all. WoW isn't making as much money and there's less for the pile, that's all they care about.

Yeah, it went from making insane amounts of money to making slightly-less insane amounts of money, so they should totally blow the model up. There's no evidence to support any of the things you're saying, from the stockholders having a riot (that isn't how it works), to F2P being a huge cash cow that could replace 7-8 million users's monthly fees, to Blizzard caring about nothing but "the pile."

mclem

Sea Turtle is my favorite mount story. I put off farming it FOR YEARS. I was just like "Oh I will get around to it someday I am sure". Wrath goes by I don't bother, Cata goes by I don't bother, in MoP when we discover they are putting in another mount achievement (150) I decide now is the time. I get my preparations complete, load up my list of podcasts that need to be played, head to a place I know people won't be at, and start to fish. Get the thing on like my first or second cast. Was oddly disappointing because I was mentally prepared to fish for hours.

One day I'll finally get around to doing all that coin fishing in Dalaran. Probably sometime when I want to level fishing.

ZenaxPure

One day I'll finally get around to doing all that coin fishing in Dalaran. Probably sometime when I want to level fishing.

I actually thought that one was kinda fun since the gold coins give you a buff to get more coins while it's active. Felt a lot more engaging than your typical fishing grind.

CassSept

Pandaria can still surprise me, wow. I was just flying around doing some archeo stuff*, when I met a weird elite mob. It was in a pretty desolate spot, I didn't remember it being a quest objective, it wasn't a rare mob, it was just an unusual elite named goat. So I killed it and wow, it dropped Bag of Kafa Beans, a three-charge 20-second ultra-fast summonable mount. Through comments i also learned there are actually two more items like that in other places in Pandaria. Love that.

*archeo in Pandaria is still bullshit, whoever thought Collector achievements were a good idea to give the profession some longevity in Pandaria should be shot in the face

Bisnic

Pandaria can still surprise me, wow. I was just flying around doing some archeo stuff*, when I met a weird elite mob. It was in a pretty desolate spot, I didn't remember it being a quest objective, it wasn't a rare mob, it was just an unusual elite named goat. So I killed it and wow, it dropped Bag of Kafa Beans, a three-charge 20-second ultra-fast summonable mount. Through comments i also learned there are actually two more items like that in other places in Pandaria. Love that.

*archeo in Pandaria is still bullshit, whoever thought Collector achievements were a good idea to give the profession some longevity in Pandaria should be shot in the face

Yeah, i abandoned archeology pretty fast in MoP compared to Cata. The fact that there is only 3 blue items (or something like that) that can be obtained pretty quickly made me stop doing it after the first weeks. I don't fucking care about achievements unless there is a title or mount linked to them.

ZenaxPure

Yeah, i abandoned archeology pretty fast in MoP compared to Cata. The fact that there is only 3 blue items (or something like that) that can be obtained pretty quickly made me stop doing it after the first weeks. I don't fucking care about achievements unless there is a title or mount linked to them.

Well, there is actually a title for completing your personal collection of pristine items. A pretty cool one as well, but, getting a pristine version of every MoP artifact is extremely time consuming.

Bisnic

Well, there is actually a title for completing your personal collection of pristine items. A pretty cool one as well, but, getting a pristine version of every MoP artifact is extremely time consuming.

Even with a title, i feel like its not enough. I used to do archaeology to pass time while waiting for the long queues of Cata heroics(back when it was 45 mins for a DPS... ugh). But now, with 10 mins for a heroic and 15-30 mins for a LFR, its not worth it. I read GAF or watch TV instead, less of a waste of time. :p

mclem

Without cross-referencing against a list, is there a way to know that you've got the complete set of drops for a given Archaeology field? I'm miles behind on it - just starting out in Outland - and I'm wondering if I've polished off everything from 1-60 EK and Kalimdor before getting too deep.

Bisnic

Without cross-referencing against a list, is there a way to know that you've got the complete set of drops for a given Archaeology field? I'm miles behind on it - just starting out in Outland - and I'm wondering if I've polished off everything from 1-60 EK and Kalimdor before getting too deep.

I doubt you got everything in 1-60, some stuff like the epic troll sword of night elf trinket can take a ridiculous long time to find. I used to check wowhead to see what i was missing.

I either knew and forgot or never actually realized that but that's definitely a title I'd love to use if I had it. Makes me actually want to work on getting more of those pristines since I stopped quite early on into MoP after maxing archaeology. Not that I think archaeology is incredibly fun but the titles make it worth it. While I use "the Beloved" a bit now that I have it I tend to always go back to "Professor".

One thing I'd really like is if they continue to put in good UI stuff for collecting stuff, much like the pet viewer. Put something in place for titles to show which are all available and how they're earned. Tabards need a place to go other than taking up spots in bags. Include those new Brawler's shirts while they're at it since I don't see a way to rebuy them once earned. I know they've said they're working on updating the mount viewer to make it more similar to the pet viewer but that would likely have to wait for the next expansion.

It'd simply be nice to have an in-game method of keeping track of stuff like that without having to resort to searching through websites to figure it all out.

CassSept

I believe there is no such thing in-game, but there are always add-ons. I'm using Minimal Archaeology for this purpose, it's pretty nice.

And you shouldn't go back to get everything as you will get a lot of fragments from doing it in Pandaria. I'm currently in the process of doing Collector achievements and in the meantime it's filling out all the other races too.

Got my paladin to 86 last night and I'm really digging holy so far, it's a nice change of pace from a resto shammy (granted I haven't touched one in Pandaria). Instance grinding in between questing as holy seems to be okay, sure the killing is slower but doesn't seem to be too bad; Holy Shock crits <3 <3

So you are not forced to equip your best ilvl gear to enter Dungeons with specific ilvl, you just have to have them in your bags to count, woot?

Entropia

No One Remembers
So you are not forced to equip your best ilvl gear to enter Dungeons with specific ilvl, you just have to have them in your bags to count, woot?

Correct.

This is beneficial to hybrids. Example, I have a Prot/Ret paladin, let's say I get a piece of Holy gear that has a higher ilvl for a slot. I'll just hold onto it so I get eligibility for LFR and what not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom