• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Got my paladin to 86 last night and I'm really digging holy so far, it's a nice change of pace from a resto shammy (granted I haven't touched one in Pandaria). Instance grinding in between questing as holy seems to be okay, sure the killing is slower but doesn't seem to be too bad; Holy Shock crits <3 <3

It's been very weird leveling since 80 as prot. I know the prot buffs came back during Wrath, but man, it's nice not having to switch back and forth. Only need arms for pvp now, though as prot in world pvp I've been mostly unkillable except if it's 2v1.

Magnus

Question:

Making a horde rogue. It's the last class I really haven't taken any higher than level 10 or 12.

Which race?! I'm usually all about what looks cool and feels good rather than simcrafted PVE/PVP best races, etc.

I'd go Blood Elf male instantly, but already have two and want a change of pace. I made a Pandaren female and am level 2 and already can't stand looking at the back of her.

Troll/Undead models look downright awful. All the male Horde vanilla races are hunched over and look terrible. I can't make a Tauren rogue, so that's out.

Goblins are teeny and I can't even see my armour on a small character; it's why I never rolled a Gnome.

I'm impossible to please, I know.

Blood Elf female maybe?

Pandaria can still surprise me, wow. I was just flying around doing some archeo stuff*, when I met a weird elite mob. It was in a pretty desolate spot, I didn't remember it being a quest objective, it wasn't a rare mob, it was just an unusual elite named goat. So I killed it and wow, it dropped Bag of Kafa Beans, a three-charge 20-second ultra-fast summonable mount. Through comments i also learned there are actually two more items like that in other places in Pandaria. Love that.

*archeo in Pandaria is still bullshit, whoever thought Collector achievements were a good idea to give the profession some longevity in Pandaria should be shot in the face

Love stuff like this, yeah. MoP (and 4.3 with Transmog) really embraced more 'fun' stuff. Cosmetic stuff, crazy stuff, funny stuff – it's just letting people dick around more in this world, which is a big positive IMO.

Tamanon

Banned
Blood elf female models are nice. I'm pretty exclusively blood elves on the horde side, just because I like the armored look of them better than the rest.

It's been very weird leveling since 80 as prot. I know the prot buffs came back during Wrath, but man, it's nice not having to switch back and forth. Only need arms for pvp now, though as prot in world pvp I've been mostly unkillable except if it's 2v1.

I leveled my warrior to 85 as prot before MoP and it was definitely an easy task because of all the buffs/self healing abilities; I used to gather 5+ mobs at once and kill them simultaneously. Holy is a bit more difficult because I don't really have any release for all my Holy power, just hammer of wrath :(

Unless of course I'm missing something :)

RPGCrazied

Anyway to get AA to work with directx 11? I seem to get better performance in this mode, but I can't get any AA to work. Looks very jaggy, even with 8x multisampling on. I have a 5770 HD, its a ATI Radeon.

Tirod

Question:

Making a horde rogue. It's the last class I really haven't taken any higher than level 10 or 12.

Which race?! I'm usually all about what looks cool and feels good rather than simcrafted PVE/PVP best races, etc.

I'd go Blood Elf male instantly, but already have two and want a change of pace. I made a Pandaren female and am level 2 and already can't stand looking at the back of her.

Troll/Undead models look downright awful. All the male Horde vanilla races are hunched over and look terrible. I can't make a Tauren rogue, so that's out.

Goblins are teeny and I can't even see my armour on a small character; it's why I never rolled a Gnome.

Blood Elf female maybe?

Well if you insist on Blood Elf, I'd say Female is the way to go Rogue wise. The stealth animation is pretty damn good and satisfying versus the male one.

I recently rolled a Fem Goblin Rogue and I haven't had an issue with the way armor looks, and the animations are solid as well.

Question:

Blood Elf female maybe?

Love stuff like this, yeah. MoP (and 4.3 with Transmog) really embraced more 'fun' stuff. Cosmetic stuff, crazy stuff, funny stuff – it's just letting people dick around more in this world, which is a big positive IMO.

I really wish Blood elf race were more useful apart from the looks, too bad gears looks less detailed if you use a female, they worth nothing since they lost the Pala class and their racial skill useless.

Magnus

I really wish Blood elf race were more useful apart from the looks, too bad gears looks less detailed if you use a female, they worth nothing since they lost the Pala class and their racial skill useless.

I dunno, my main's gotten mileage out of Enchanting +10, and the Silence in Arcane Torrent has been useful too.

For PvE, what are the absolute awesome racials?

Rep bonus on humans is awesome. Every Man for Himself is also awesome (in PvE and PvP). Bonus Rested Exp on Pandas is amazing, but useless at 90.

HMMM

I almost wanna go with Pandaren to 90 just for the better leveling via the Bonus Rest XP. But damn if I can't stand how it looks, haha.

Tirod

Goblins are pretty rigged. They get 1% Haste, a movement CD on a 2(3?) minute CD, the best vendor prices, and can summon their bank.

Pandas get the the extra stats off food, which gets ridiculous when you eat the 300 stat food.

Of course for all classes the racial benefits for other races start to factor in, but in general those are the strongest, although I'm sure people will disagree.

Nitsuj23

I would roll a Blood Elf instantly if they fixed the clipping due to them putting their chest out. It looks weird and shoulder armor/weapons always get clipped. Very annoying. It's the reason I haven't rolled a BE since BC.

Clipse

Pandaren males look terrible in pretty much every rogue tier set and females are just awful.

I'd go with a BE female if their cloak animation wasn't bugged. (Cloak is constantly swaying, feet go through the cloak when you jump, etc.)

Goblin male for life. (Unless Blizz puts in playable ogres someday.)

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Any race is better than dwarf. I changed my race from draenei to dwarf and i kinda miss the 1% Hit and HoT. All i got now is a 10% damage reduction that last only 8 secs and some worthless archaeology buff. They really need to give them something else that improve a stat permanently.

Oh well, at least i'm a fucking dwarf! :D Can't wait to see the updated model.

ampere

Yeah, it went from making insane amounts of money to making slightly-less insane amounts of money, so they should totally blow the model up. There's no evidence to support any of the things you're saying, from the stockholders having a riot (that isn't how it works), to F2P being a huge cash cow that could replace 7-8 million users's monthly fees, to Blizzard caring about nothing but "the pile."

Agree with you, but it's only 3 - 4 million people playing monthly I think, the Asian region's subs are hourly or something.

Any race is better than dwarf. I changed my race from draenei to dwarf and i kinda miss the 1% Hit and HoT. All i got now is a 10% damage reduction that last only 8 secs and some worthless archaeology buff. They really need to give them sometime else that improve a stat permanently.

Stoneform is legit if you're a tank :)

CassSept

Any race is better than dwarf. I changed my race from draenei to dwarf and i kinda miss the 1% Hit and HoT. All i got now is a 10% damage reduction that last only 8 secs and some worthless archaeology buff. They really need to give them something else that improve a stat permanently.

Well Draenei can't be rogues and 1% hit is pretty useless anyway now that all gear has ridiculous amount of hit.

I like my racial. AoE silence/interrupt can be useful in a pinch and instant energy injection is a nice fail-safe if you screw something up. Sure, it used to be better when rogues were far more energy starved, but it's still a nice racial.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Agree with you, but it's only 3 - 4 million people playing monthly I think, the Asian region's subs are hourly or something.

Stoneform is legit if you're a tank :)

Is there anything to support that or is that just a guess?

Druid, Shaman, or Mage. Can't see it being anyone else.

I'm going with shaman due to them having healing rain and hex which already turns things into frogs. Just sort of puts them together.

I'd really like to see each class get a bunch more minor glyphs that are cosmetic stuff. It's nice to see a little variety every now and then.

Edit: Posted this before looking up the latest patch info on mmo-champion. I had originally wrote a few lines suggesting that shamans could get some additional options for ghost wolf form or some new hex options. And it turns out that's exactly part of the update (along with a couple other neat minor glyphs). I'm happy to see them go in this direction. Spirit wolves being able to be spirit raptors seems a bit silly but it's the sort of silly I can get behind.

sqwarlock

Glyph of the Sha (New) Transforms your Shadowfiend and Mindbender into a Sha Beast.
Glyph of Void Shift (NYI) (New) Void Shift causes you and your target to exchange appearances for several seconds.

Loving these.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Will probably hit 90 tonight, then the fun begins about actually having to read about what talents/glyphs are the best, what the hell challenges/scenarios are, what reps I want to grind, whether I'll sell my soul to level up my crafting, yadi dadi.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I've started a female undead monk and the monk animations are pretty cool on her.

I'm dual wielding the heirloom 1h maces and it sucks how much they're clipping into each other. :( Why did they have to put them on my back?

SrLxUMm.png

ampere

Is there anything to support that or is that just a guess?

Do you mean the pay structure or the subscriber count? Pay structure:
From Wikipedia
In South Korea, there is no software package or CD key requirement to activate the account. However, to play the game, players must purchase time credits online. There are two kinds of time credits available: one where the player is billed based on the actual number of minutes that will be available, and one where the player can play the game for a number of days. In the former, time can be purchased in multiples of 5 hours or 30 hours, and in the latter, time can be purchased in multiples of 7 days, 1 month, or 3 months.[57] As software packages are not required, expansion pack contents are available to all players on launch day.
In China, because a large number of the players do not own the computer they use to play games (e.g. Internet cafes), the CD keys required to create an account can be purchased independently of the software package. To play the game, players must also purchase prepaid game cards that can be played for 66 hours and 40 minutes.[58] A monthly fee model is not available to players of this region.

Unfortunately the only thing I could find from a reliable source giving regional sub percentages is this very old Gamasutra article from 2009. It lists Asian subscribers as about 50% of player count and 6% of revenue. If that still holds true today it would be ~4M monthly subs

CassSept

Unfortunately the only thing I could find from a reliable source giving regional sub percentages is this very old Gamasutra article from 2009. It lists Asian subscribers as about 50% of player count and 6% of revenue. If that still holds true today it would be ~4M monthly subs

If I had to guess it is different now, a major reason for the recent decline of subs seems to be Asian players migrating to other genres, so the West probably accounts for more than 50% of player count these times.

Magnus

Thanks for all the input homies. I think I may just have to go with what I think looks cool; how m y character looks and feels is always going to be more important for me than a racial skill... =/

It's why I rerolled human back before race changes, haha.

Blood Elf male it is.

I'm an expert

Thanks for all the input homies. I think I may just have to go with what I think looks cool; how m y character looks and feels is always going to be more important for me than a racial skill... =/

It's why I rerolled human back before race changes, haha.

Blood Elf male it is.

If you pvp at all the silence is worth it, but yeah I just faction changed to horde and the only char that made sense was BE from an armor perspective.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Do you mean the pay structure or the subscriber count? Pay structure:
From Wikipedia

The subscriber count. Unfortunately, no, I'm not inclined to think a story from Gamasutra in 2009 (which probably has data from 2008) is even remotely accurate. Even assuming it was accurate, I don't think it follows to simply assume the subscription totals outside the US are functionally worthless.

Ceebs

Okay, so I went to add a time card to my account (damnit, they got me again) and saw I had a scroll of resurrection on my account some GAFer sent me over a year ago. Neat.

A few hours later I have an 82 female shaman panda* thanks to the instant 80. So thanks Pablohoney whoever that is if you still play :)

Leveling it as Elemental and holy hell do they kill things fast. I thought cat form druid was quick, but this is insane.

*I think the female pandas are hilarious looking myself. They remind me of a short mall-goth girl you would find at a Hot Topic near you.

For Horde

Trols racial skill is amazing for casters and rogues and dont forget their health regen in combat

Orcs are best for becoming warriors or melee class (and hunters too)

Goblins are the new hit and run rogues

Cipherr

Patch Notes said:
Glyph of Focused Mending (NYI) (New) Causes your Prayer of Mending to only bounce between the target and the caster. Major Glyph.

Heyyyyyyyyyyyy! Does this mean that PoMending now has a use when you are solo if you use that Glyph? Just cast it on yourself and it will heal you after taking damage and stay on you for all of its charges?

That would be pretty neat! Not sure if its neat enough to warrant a major glyph slot, but still.

Magnus

Heyyyyyyyyyyyy! Does this mean that PoMending now has a use when you are solo if you use that Glyph? Just cast it on yourself and it will heal you after taking damage and stay on you for all of its charges?

That would be pretty neat! Not sure if its neat enough to warrant a major glyph slot, but still.

I suspect it wouldn't be usable that way. 5-6 charges in a row on just the caster would be so broken.

ampere

The subscriber count. Unfortunately, no, I'm not inclined to think a story from Gamasutra in 2009 (which probably has data from 2008) is even remotely accurate. Even assuming it was accurate, I don't think it follows to simply assume the subscription totals outside the US are functionally worthless.

More recent 2007 - 2012 (click for source):

Not worthless, but not even remotely close to the value of Western subs.

Animal

Banned
So I just got back into the game 2 weeks ago and I am enjoying it so far. Unfortunately I feel I can't find things to do for my character in order to get better PVE gear.

I am currently ilvl462 and I can only do the first two LFR raids once a week. Heroics are not giving me gear that is any better than I already have.

I have about 1000 valor points but I can't spend them because I have no rep with anyone.

Justice points gear is below what I currently have.

Am I expected to grind rep with factions for Valor Points gear at this point? Or am I supposed to be waiting weeks maybe months before I can move on to higher tiers of LFR content? Am I missing something?

Slayerx

Did you get 502 boots from a quest? Battlefield Barrens weekly will let you get 489 gear, pretty easy to do the quest. A lot of the epics on AH are dirt cheap as well. PvP gear is a good way to fill some gaps.

Are you using charms for every boss kill in LFR? It should be possible with treasure trove runs.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1313625-New-90-Gearing-Guide-How-to-get-into-Throne-of-Thunder-LFR-efficiently This is a pretty good guide for your gearing options. A good point in this guide, convert justice into honor points and buy 476 pieces, they are as good as any pve gear since pvp stats are not part of the item budget in MoP.

Fjordson

I'm at 462 item lvl also. Can I really jump in and do those first few LFR runs already? I know it's technically for anyone above 460, but my gear is still kinda shitty. A few 489 epics from rep, but mostly 458-463 blues. I don't want to be totally worthless in there.

Animal

Banned
Did you get 502 boots from a quest? Battlefield Barrens weekly will let you get 489 gear, pretty easy to do the quest. A lot of the epics on AH are dirt cheap as well. PvP gear is a good way to fill some gaps.

Are you using charms for every boss kill in LFR? It should be possible with treasure trove runs.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1313625-New-90-Gearing-Guide-How-to-get-into-Throne-of-Thunder-LFR-efficiently This is a pretty good guide for your gearing options. A good point in this guide, convert justice into honor points and buy 476 pieces, they are as good as any pve gear since pvp stats are not part of the item budget in MoP.

I got 476 boots from a quest. I have no idea what battlefield barrens is nor what charms are so I'm going to look into those. Thanks for the help and the link.

Fjordson

Got exalted with my first MoP faction! Woo! No more Golden Lotus dailies ever again.

Too bad the mounts aren't all that cool. Need to power through like 75% of revered for Shado-Pan so I can get that Onyx Cloud Serpent.

cdyhybrid

Anyone know any 1H weapons that match well with the DK T15N?

bCdLeOh.jpg

Or should I just not even bother trying and go farm a different armor set to transmog into?

Edit: The bigger and meaner-looking the weapons, the better :p Seems like there isn't really anything that matches that darker red, though.

I'm an expert

Much thanks for posting those guides, will def need them soon. It really does seem a lot different than the typical "hit max level now immediately grind last tier of 5 mans/heroics" to gear up.

Fjordson

Oh shit, just got a 522 ring from Oondasta. My lucky world boss right here.

edit: 522 legs from Nalak! Hell yes. But then just gold from Gal and Sha =[

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom