• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

CassSept

Question for US players, how delayed were the realms going online yesterday? It seems there is something major because EU realms are already delayed by 20 minutes with no official extension so something weird is definitely up.

Fjordson

Question for US players, how delayed were the realms going online yesterday? It seems there is something major because EU realms are already delayed by 20 minutes with no official extension so something weird is definitely up.
They were delayed for a while. I want to say at least an hour.

CassSept

Ah hell, they just confirmed new ETA of 13:00 CEST, 1.5 hours from now. My weekly farm with Ancient Aliens marathon on TV is ruined ;_;

mclem

And personally, I actually like the idea of paladin sets based around the theme of space-zealot power ranger robots. That shit is awesome.

I'm slowly putting together T3 from the BMAH. It'll look completely incongruous, but I've stopped caring about that!

Tomboy

Neo Member
Nah, I think I got it on the first day of 5.2 or so. You get it the first time you have saurok dailies, simple as that.

As a matter of fact, the sooner the better because in later phases you get new options for dailies, while in early it's guaranteed you will get saurok ones.
Oh cool. How do I go about getting dailies before doing all of the solo scenarios? I have an alt that just hit 90 and has only done the first solo scenario to get access to the main camp. It looks like Jaina only has more solo scenario quests for him, though. No dailies.

CassSept

Oh cool. How do I go about getting dailies before doing all of the solo scenarios? I have an alt that just hit 90 and has only done the first solo scenario to get access to the main camp. It looks like Jaina only has more solo scenario quests for him, though. No dailies.

I'll admit I have no idea if it's actually possible after your sever progressed through the stages, I was just guessing :p

Hell this maintenance is terrible. It's already 4 hours past original estimated time and we didn't have a new ETA for 1.5 hour now, constantly only "we're trying to get ETA". It'd be so much better if we could at least get a new ETA

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Er, I'm not sure if you were asking about yesterday's US maintenance, but it was scheduled to be up at 2 est and I was logged on by 2:15. It was maybe 10 mins late, but nothing was extended. I was spamming the login to get on and look at transmog sets, so I'm sure of the time. Not sure why the guy above said an hour.

ampere

Productive night of archaeology. Solved the BoA gun and BoA off-hand, and have the BoA sword and Anatomical Dummy in progress.

Which BoA Sword? I've been going after the Tol'vir sword (Scimitar of the Sirocco) for years, it looks really nice so I want it for transmog.

If you got that one I am jelly

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Which BoA Sword? I've been going after the Tol'vir sword (Scimitar of the Sirocco) for years, it looks really nice so I want it for transmog.

If you got that one I am jelly

Probably the mantid one.

So I hit 90 last night on my holy paladin and I jumped right into heroics; I've gotta say I was pleasantly surprised at how much more powerful I felt in heroics off the bat as opposed to previous expansions where I felt very weak. I went into them with mostly 430-450 gear, and the epic pvp shoulders (476) so I wasn't really too geared.

Picked up like 6 pieces of loot, including 2 more pvp epics (which are fantastic gear pieces btw). What is the min. ilvl to do LFR?

Btw, Holy Prism is fucking amazing :) I also learned that monk tanks rule.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
So I hit 90 last night on my holy paladin and I jumped right into heroics; I've gotta say I was pleasantly surprised at how much more powerful I felt in heroics off the bat as opposed to previous expansions where I felt very weak. I went into them with mostly 430-450 gear, and the epic pvp shoulders (476) so I wasn't really too geared.

Picked up like 6 pieces of loot, including 2 more pvp epics (which are fantastic gear pieces btw). What is the min. ilvl to do LFR?

Btw, Holy Prism is fucking amazing :) I also learned that monk tanks rule.

I can't stand how easy the heroics are. I enjoyed the gearing up for them and having to learn the boss' new abilities in BC/Wrath. I've one shot every heroic run I've done since dingin 90 and it's just weird. On the second to last boss of the big tree/bug heroic my team actually some how wiped on the adds and I ended up soloing the last 2.5 mil hp of the boss (he stopped calling adds for whatever reason) and my ilvl at the time was 458. It's just weird.

460 is the first lfr.

I'm an expert

Eh, Wrath heroics were nothing to brag about after Ulduar.

All I'm saying is that 5 fresh 70's or 80's could not run into heroic Shattered Halls or heroic Halls of Reflection and chain pull every group of mobs and tank and spank the bosses. While in Cata I remember almost doing that when I hit 85 and then with this expansion I very much did just that.

Revisionism my cock and balls. You guys are remembering a different game than me apparently. I'm not saying these dungeons were super hard, I'm saying I couldn't have walked in with my quest gear fresh max level character and tanked the way I tank these Mists ones. The. bosses. do. not. touch. me.

CassSept

Now let's not compare Halls of Reflection, these were tuned for better geared players. If 5.4 introduces new hc scenarios these may be more comparable. Launch Wrath heroics were a joke, these are the ones I'm talking about. Fresh 80s could easily rush through them with no problem.

3rd Blue Drake in a month, no Azure Drake yet. Great.

I'm an expert

Well obviously all the beginning heroics aren't meant to be an issue. Sure, ramparts is harder than jade serpent, but both are relatively easy. But I'm talking about even the "higher tier" of Mists heroics are just charge into every group and chain to the bosses that you just tank and spank. I suppose lfr is meant to be that next jump in casual difficulty.

As there is no longer any such thing as 'regular mode' level 90 dungeons and given they drop 463 blues, I don't care that Pandaria heroics are faceroll. JP has to come from somewhere, after all. It almost justifies the difficulty you find in heroic Blood in the Snow and Dark Heart of Pandaria. Almost.

vocab

The only heroic that gave me problems in BC was Magisters Terrace. Priestess Delrissa , and the trash before Kael. Hell, the whole Delrissa fight depends so much on proper composition to even beat her most of the time. Groups folded at that fight so much, and the trash before Kael was a pretty high gear check.

ANNIHILATE THEM!

Ya, we got annihilated.

I guess I dont remember the frustration people had with shattered halls. I think I did it once with my friends, and just never tried it with a random group.

Ceebs

The only heroic that gave me problems in BC was Magisters Terrace. Priestess Delrissa , and the trash before Kael. Hell, the whole Delrissa fight depends so much on proper composition to even beat her most of the time. Groups folded at that fight so much, and the trash before Kael was a pretty high gear check.

ANNIHILATE THEM!

Ya, we got annihilated.

I guess I dont remember the frustration people had with shattered halls. I think I did it once with my friends, and just never tried it with a random group.

The BC heroics were just annoying due to the hordes of trash in them that actually required CC.

Also Just got my Raven Lord mount after 5 long years of suffering.

mclem

Well obviously all the beginning heroics aren't meant to be an issue. Sure, ramparts is harder than jade serpent, but both are relatively easy. But I'm talking about even the "higher tier" of Mists heroics are just charge into every group and chain to the bosses that you just tank and spank. I suppose lfr is meant to be that next jump in casual difficulty.

What 'higher tier' of Mists heroics? They're all the same level.

I think the experience you're after is in Challenge modes, anyway.

Casual

Banned
So, being that this is the only expansion I haven't really participated in, I figure it's time I do that. Currently an 87 Rogue...what kind of time am I looking at to get my character to a decent level (ie. LFR, 3's)?

I remember seeing a guide a while back on gearing a fresh 90 (I think it was specific to 5.3). Looking for that now, but if anyone has it, or something similar, handy that'd be great.

I'm an expert

What 'higher tier' of Mists heroics? They're all the same level.

I think the experience you're after is in Challenge modes, anyway.

Scholo, SM, and the tree one. They're all the same level in other expansions too, doesn't mean they're tuned to the same difficulty.

And yes, this thread told me earlier that heroic scenarios are where there's some challenge. Challenge mode doesn't interest me much as it seems way more enjoyable with 4 friends which I don't have access to anymore.

vocab

Heroic scenarios are not hard at all. They have potential one shot mechanics, but the mobs you deal with are pretty easy.

Even with a well-constructed group you could get annihilated on the 7 pull of trash before the first boss. That place was brutal, you are definitely misremembering or you had an overgeared group.

I just remembered how many stealthed mobs Burning Crusade heroics had, tailor made to fuck up a timed run or cut your healer in half from behind while you were occupied elsewhere. Shadow Labyrinth was a real offender here.

Even with a well-constructed group you could get annihilated on the 7 pull of trash before the first boss. That place was brutal, you are definitely misremembering or you had an overgeared group.

I just remembered how many stealthed mobs Burning Crusade heroics had, tailor made to fuck up a timed run or cut your healer in half from behind while you were occupied elsewhere. Shadow Labyrinth was a real offender here.

I'm going to have to guess people that think BC heroics were easy were playing with a solid team of well-geared players. I jumped in pretty late into BC as a pally tank and worked super hard to get uncrushable and uncrittable before finally trying a heroic due to how difficult they were. This was after being an off-tank for Kara and Gruul's each week. My roommate (resto druid) and I gathered three people letting them know it was our first attempt after gearing up. We went into Slave Pens since it was listed as the easiest. At the very first pull I melted after getting hit two or three times and the heals weren't enough to keep me alive.

Heroics were impossible back then! Wrath and Mists are a cakewalk in comparison. I was out most of Cata so by the time I started playing around the Dragon Soul patch heroics were very quick and not too challenging.

I still feel heroic scenarios are spread across difficulty. Crypt of Forgotten Kings or whatever it's called is an absolute breeze. The one around Ragefire also goes pretty smoothly once you've done it once and know what to do. But I still hate Blood in the Snow as people are bound to die there every time, especially during the final stage of it. The other three fall in the middle. I'm actually a little bummed that we're not getting another two or three with this next patch. I've grown to like them quite a bit.

Edit: Oh, and just a simple update: Up to 6/12 of Runestones after four weeks. Got the panther mount from ZG yesterday putting me at 181 mounts. Just short of 225 Slabhide kills trying for that mount. And I found a Mysterious Camel Figure yeseterday as I'll slowly aim for that mount but it wasn't the right one. Oh well!

sqwarlock

I'm going to have to guess people that think BC heroics were easy were playing with a solid team of well-geared players. I jumped in pretty late into BC as a pally tank and worked super hard to get uncrushable and uncrittable before finally trying a heroic due to how difficult they were. This was after being an off-tank for Kara and Gruul's each week. My roommate (resto druid) and I gathered three people letting them know it was our first attempt after gearing up. We went into Slave Pens since it was listed as the easiest. At the very first pull I melted after getting hit two or three times and the heals weren't enough to keep me alive.

Heroics were impossible back then! Wrath and Mists are a cakewalk in comparison. I was out most of Cata so by the time I started playing around the Dragon Soul patch heroics were very quick and not too challenging.

I still feel heroic scenarios are spread across difficulty. Crypt of Forgotten Kings or whatever it's called is an absolute breeze. The one around Ragefire also goes pretty smoothly once you've done it once and know what to do. But I still hate Blood in the Snow as people are bound to die there every time, especially during the final stage of it. The other three fall in the middle. I'm actually a little bummed that we're not getting another two or three with this next patch. I've grown to like them quite a bit.

Edit: Oh, and just a simple update: Up to 6/12 of Runestones after four weeks. Got the panther mount from ZG yesterday putting me at 181 mounts. Just short of 225 Slabhide kills trying for that mount. And I found a Mysterious Camel Figure yeseterday as I'll slowly aim for that mount but it wasn't the right one. Oh well!

181 mounts? Good lord. I've only got, like, 30.

Naka

I managed to get my last Titan Runestone in the 3rd LFR last night. Turned in the quest and got Lei-Shen's heart afterwards. The ranged DPS challenge wasn't that bad as a mage. It took me a couple tries to get the feel for it, but once I saw what was going on, I completed it fairly easily. This is the firs time I've been caught up on the legendary chain before the next patch cycle!

Magnus

181 mounts? Good lord. I've only got, like, 30.

Haha, seriously. I think I have about 40, and that includes multiple colour variations of some basic mounts.

When I got Al'ar, a bunch of guild friends who have the 200+ AP (but not Al'ar) were extraordinarily pissed; their life mission in the game is evidently pets/mounts, and the bloke with barely any got the crown jewel. I giggled.

I'm on Week 1 now of the Valor portion (5.1) of the Legendary questline. I've been through wing 1 of TOT twice now on LFR, and I'm already bored of it. Can I progress just fine to Normal TOT eventually and still continue to get Secrets/Runestones? (when the time comes to get those in the quest line)

Because LFR the whole way (well into September/October) will slay my soul.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Haha, seriously. I think I have about 40, and that includes multiple colour variations of some basic mounts.

When I got Al'ar, a bunch of guild friends who have the 200+ AP (but not Al'ar) were extraordinarily pissed; their life mission in the game is evidently pets/mounts, and the bloke with barely any got the crown jewel. I giggled.

I'm on Week 1 now of the Valor portion (5.1) of the Legendary questline. I've been through wing 1 of TOT twice now on LFR, and I'm already bored of it. Can I progress just fine to Normal TOT eventually and still continue to get Secrets/Runestones? (when the time comes to get those in the quest line)

Because LFR the whole way (well into September/October) will slay my soul.

They need to add incentives to tank LFR more, I think, whether its valor or heroic scenario bags. The waits are excruciating and the entire front end of the dungeon seems like its nothing but fucking trash mobs so it takes ages to complete.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
They need to add incentives to tank LFR more, I think, whether its valor or heroic scenario bags. The waits are excruciating and the entire front end of the dungeon seems like its nothing but fucking trash mobs so it takes ages to complete.

It seems that in every ToT i go, once everyone join, there is always a tank that leave, which means we might have to wait 10-15 mins for a new one to join. It's annoying.

Magnus

New challenge: getting into a Heroic Scenario group at sub-500 iLevel. Only managed to twice. Sigh.

I've been on this all hardcore for over a month and I'm still only 493.

Double Sigh. Fucking RNG. I still only have a blue heroic helm and trinket. God damn.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/malganis/Leobentobox/simple

Also, god damn at the price/mats cost of Jade Spirit. Fuck that. I have no real incentive to go beyond a Windsong enchant if I'm staying primarily at the LFD/LFR level. 2500g? GG. Nope.

I've been burned so many times on Coin/Charm bonus rolls that I can't bring myself to put the work in to get a measly 3 Mogu Runes a week, given there's no guarantee they'll amount to anything. Elder Charms on the other hand.....I mean, you can get 15-20 in one Key run. The amount of time needed to get those pales in comparison, so it's worth the time investment there, IMO.

I'm all about more 'permanent' rewards in the game these days. Mounts, cool XMog, CMs, etc. The ever-towering gear ladder will always get eclipsed by better gear, so I'm barely tempted to get involved in that race any longer. I just want to do whatever the minimum is to be able to see the content. Therefore, the legendary questline is a must, both because it's cool and because it will unlock content in 5.4.

I'm an expert

Pretty sure I've made like 15k simply going from 85->90 and heroics, and I still have 3 zones not complete. Isn't 2500 basically the equivalent of 250 from 5-6 years ago? Not that much at all.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
New challenge: getting into a Heroic Scenario group at sub-500 iLevel. Only managed to twice. Sigh.

I've been on this all hardcore for over a month and I'm still only 493.

Double Sigh. Fucking RNG. I still only have a blue heroic helm and trinket. God damn.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/malganis/Leobentobox/simple

Also, god damn at the price/mats cost of Jade Spirit. Fuck that. I have no real incentive to go beyond a Windsong enchant if I'm staying primarily at the LFD/LFR level. 2500g? GG. Nope.

I've been burned so many times on Coin/Charm bonus rolls that I can't bring myself to put the work in to get a measly 3 Mogu Runes a week, given there's no guarantee they'll amount to anything. Elder Charms on the other hand.....I mean, you can get 15-20 in one Key run. The amount of time needed to get those pales in comparison, so it's worth the time investment there, IMO.

I'm all about more 'permanent' rewards in the game these days. Mounts, cool XMog, CMs, etc. The ever-towering gear ladder will always get eclipsed by better gear, so I'm barely tempted to get involved in that race any longer. I just want to do whatever the minimum is to be able to see the content. Therefore, the legendary questline is a must, both because it's cool and because it will unlock content in 5.4.
What faction? You might try posting on GAF during prime time and see if you can get a cross-realm group going.

Rafterman

Banned
Man, I'm loving the changes to the game over the last few patches. I just came back and got my Shaman to 90 on Sunday. I ran the first raid Monday night and have already gotten to 475 ilevel. Both my Mage and Warlock I played for months at the expansion release and both are at ilevel 472. I also have 7/10 on both Sigils which is higher than those characters as well. Between the drops and being able to skip all that rep farming bullshit from the 20 previous factions I'm really liking what they've done to the game since ToT was added.

CassSept

It seems that in every ToT i go, once everyone join, there is always a tank that leave, which means we might have to wait 10-15 mins for a new one to join. It's annoying.

To be somewhat of a devil advocate's, despite shorter queues LFR can be sometimes a hellish experience for tanks. In the few runs I've done with my alt I've been insulted by some people to no end, kicked for being in a given instance for the first time (even though I asked for help! Seriously!*), or simply because a better-geared tank screwed up and placed the blame on me, for some reason. And as you know, it doesn't take much to get person kicked from LFR.

And as you said, tanks are randomly dropping off which is a result of vicious cycles - you only need two tanks for the raid, so if even one drops another one comes into unfinished instance, which will most likely lead him to requeue after and drop at the same boss, and so on and so on. In 5.2 I rarely got into unfinished LFRs on my rogue, but on my tank alt I had that constantly. I had once done Pinnacle of Storm in reverse because I first got Lei Shen, on requeue I was dumped on Twins and only the third time I managed to get Iron Qon.

A different perspective is a nice thing to have in a game like that, you get a much fuller picture of both the game and other players - both their shortcomings and unnecessary criticisms they are plagued with.

*to be fair though, it's not always that way, it depends, on the other hand some tanks I came across were some of the nicest players I've met through automatic match-making systems. Very pleasant, encouraging and eager to help.

strafer

dat loading screen

new-LoadScreenSiegeOfOrgrimmar.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom