• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

CassSept

Thats the heart near of the portals section right? who was his/her owner

Spoilers for 5.4?

That's Dark Heart of Y'shaarj, the dead Old God that is the so to speak creator and cause of Sha. It resides in Garrosh's new throne room, somewhere in the labyrinths dug beneath Orgrimmar. Probably somewhere behind the doors in Secrets of Ragefire scenario.

181 mounts? Good lord. I've only got, like, 30.

Actually now at 182 since I bought a cheap holiday mount. I'm actually missing at least two other holiday mounts. I think there's a strider for Valentine's Day that shows up on the AH that I'll end up buying when I see it cheap enough to appeal to me (or as I get really close to the 200). Tonight I'll possibly get my 183rd mount when my Primal Egg hatches as long as it's not a duplicate raptor again. Getting 200 total is starting to look like a real possibility for me though it still relies a fair bit on those 1% drops. I'm currently saving up to get the Grand Expedition Yak, also, and I'm about a third of the way there after around two weeks of mostly saving up (aside from the 3,500g I spent for that holiday mount today).

I'd really like to get the 200 mounts before the next expansion. That's mainly my goal with this.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Actually now at 182 since I bought a cheap holiday mount. I'm actually missing at least two other holiday mounts. I think there's a strider for Valentine's Day that shows up on the AH that I'll end up buying when I see it cheap enough to appeal to me (or as I get really close to the 200). Tonight I'll possibly get my 183rd mount when my Primal Egg hatches as long as it's not a duplicate raptor again. Getting 200 total is starting to look like a real possibility for me though it still relies a fair bit on those 1% drops. I'm currently saving up to get the Grand Expedition Yak, also, and I'm about a third of the way there after around two weeks of mostly saving up (aside from the 3,500g I spent for that holiday mount today).

I'd really like to get the 200 mounts before the next expansion. That's mainly my goal with this.

Too cool, I'm kinda mount-obsessed, and really need to start working on getting 200, too. I'm only up to like 80-something, but that's without really trying hard.

Tamanon

Banned
Where did the carry term come from all of a sudden?

One of my newer guildies always says "LF Carry" when he means doing a heroic scenario. It's weird. They're meant to be done by ilevel 480, so there's no need for anyone to be carried as long as the group is decent.

vocab

I've been using it since CS days, but honestly it's more apparent in games like Dota where there is a dedicated role called a carry. It's basically a role where your whole team depends on your farm to ultimately win the game. you can basically apply it in any team game to make up for the lack of skill, items, and knowledge.

Where did the carry term come from all of a sudden?

One of my newer guildies always says "LF Carry" when he means doing a heroic scenario. It's weird. They're meant to be done by ilevel 480, so there's no need for anyone to be carried as long as the group is decent.

I've seen it used off-and-on over the years. Just saw it used in trade chat a couple days ago when a player running a heroic scenario just wanted any dps to fill their third spot and were offering to carry the person. It was actually our server's Scarab Lord that was yelling it out in trade. I know he's well geared and raids so I had a guild member that was trying to get us to do an H Scenario with him so I told him to join. Apparently it was a super easy run for him, heh.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
We been carryin fools since arena rating was needed for weaps. Just means their skill/gear is bad and they're relyin on others to make up for it.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I decided to have a look at the different colorblind shaders available. It's via /console colorblindshader (1-8). Here's 1-8, from top to bottom. A value of 0 resets this to normal.

13pjty.png

2lejtk.png

3gokhl.png

49fjfj.png

5wrjo8.png

6yxj9c.png

73okbv.png

8ytkzx.png
Nice of Blizzard to include this.

Cipherr

All I'm saying is that 5 fresh 70's or 80's could not run into heroic Shattered Halls or heroic Halls of Reflection and chain pull every group of mobs and tank and spank the bosses. While in Cata I remember almost doing that when I hit 85 and then with this expansion I very much did just that.

H Shattered halls and H HOR weren't tuned for that though. You should compare HOR and SH heroics to the Twilight Heroics of Cata pre-nerf. The difference is the Twilight Heroics werent in at Cata release, and they gated them by itemlevel anyway. If you were in fresh greens from just hitting max level you couldn't run it anyway because the game wouldn't let you queue for it. The same way in Wrath with the Heroics added with the ICC patch. You would have gotten a workout trying to run those in greens from just hitting level 80.

The comparison is just borked. This is not to mention the fact that the classes are wildly different from BC also. A lot of your ability to 'tank and spank' heroics as a fresh max level toon these days has a lot to do with whats required and what isn't. In BC you were stacking your stats to become uncrittable, these days, you get that shit for free just for being a tank spec. Thats hilariously different, and skews the comparison beyond belief because it makes the damage you take unable to spike and throw your healer off.

Noone is saying you are remembering the game wrong, its just silly to act like its the same game, when its clearly not. Theres a shitload of variables that make things different from some 5-6 years ago.

Well obviously all the beginning heroics aren't meant to be an issue. Sure, ramparts is harder than jade serpent, but both are relatively easy. But I'm talking about even the "higher tier" of Mists heroics are just charge into every group and chain to the bosses that you just tank and spank.

Well, yeah, but if they made them hit harder and forced groups to use CC, people would complain about HAVING to use CC, like so:

The BC heroics were just annoying due to the hordes of trash in them that actually required CC.

To some people stuff like MGT was 'great difficulty' to others the CC needed was just annoying. So now we have the charge in and tank the whole group method.

Ultratech

Even with a well-constructed group you could get annihilated on the 7 pull of trash before the first boss. That place was brutal, you are definitely misremembering or you had an overgeared group.

I just remembered how many stealthed mobs Burning Crusade heroics had, tailor made to fuck up a timed run or cut your healer in half from behind while you were occupied elsewhere. Shadow Labyrinth was a real offender here.

Oh man, I remember that pull.

Shit could be brutal if your CC got resisted. (Sees message: Trap Resisted; "FUCK!")
I remember having to try and kite one of those guys around occasionally just so the tank wouldn't be overloaded.

Heroic Sethekk Halls also had some very nasty mobs that could fuck you up pretty quickly as well.
Especially those Ravenguards. Those dudes could pretty much one or two-shot any non-Tank and were immune to a lot of CC.

Oh man, I remember that pull.

Shit could be brutal if your CC got resisted. (Sees message: Trap Resisted; "FUCK!")
I remember having to try and kite one of those guys around occasionally just so the tank wouldn't be overloaded.

Heroic Sethekk Halls also had some very nasty mobs that could fuck you up pretty quickly as well.
Especially those Ravenguards. Those dudes could pretty much one or two-shot any non-Tank and were immune to a lot of CC.

Sethekk Halls was one of the easiest heroics outside of those.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Heroic Halls of Reflection was never hard; it just relied entirely on the tank having the skill to round up the mobs.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
ugh fucking 19/20 secrets on my shaman alt,I get angry every time I log into the damn character -.-

If you're angry about that, wait until you get the part where you need 12 items from ToT, and you're lucky if you get more than 1 per week.

Magnus

Rösti;72643021 said:
I decided to have a look at the different colorblind shaders available. It's via /console colorblindshader (1-8). Here's 1-8, from top to bottom. A value of 0 resets this to normal.

Help me understand – what we're looking at is what colour-blind players see when they look at the game in its normal state, right? So...what do these shaders actually do for colour-blind players? Do they change the colours of things in-game to make telling things apart easier? depending on the type of colour-blindness?

If you're angry about that, wait until you get the part where you need 12 items from ToT, and you're lucky if you get more than 1 per week.

Ugh...not looking forward to this. Is it really that bad? Is that just LFR? I'm hoping by then I'm geared enough to go for Normal and the better drop rate. IF it's a better drop rate there.

Or at least double up so that I can be done in a month instead of 12 weeks.

What faction? You might try posting on GAF during prime time and see if you can get a cross-realm group going.

If there is any horde characters that need a carry threw h scenario just let me know.

Horde here. I'm totally oblivious to how cross-realm anything works. Can you seriously just do anything in a group cross-server now? Even group up before LFRing together?

Fjordson

My Corsair M95 mouse finally arrived. This thing is great. Superb build quality, feels responsive, and the layout for the extra buttons is perfect. Hotkeys and macros out the azz now yo.

Enosh

oh I have the cloak on my main, and really that part only needs me to run the last 2 parts of lfr, secrets made me do the second part, I hate the second part

and secrets have a higher drop rate, hence my disappointment and anger that I only got 3 since I usually got 4, hell I got 5 like 3 days ago on my pala to bring it to 20 (still didn't get the gem, can't be bothered to grind 20k BP rep atm ^^)

Ugh...not looking forward to this. Is it really that bad? Is that just LFR? I'm hoping by then I'm geared enough to go for Normal and the better drop rate. IF it's a better drop rate there.

Or at least double up so that I can be done in a month instead of 12 weeks.
apparently the drop rate is supposed to be the same, don't think there is any actual hard data on it through
and no, like secrets same lock out, so if you do lfr can't get it in normal and vice versa

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
So that legendary cloak is actually possible without a raiding guild?

Yeah, every step of the legendary chain throughout the expansion has been totally doable without a guild or stepping foot in a single non-lfr raid.

Kenai

So that legendary cloak is actually possible without a raiding guild?

Very much so. Technically, having a raiding guild doesn't even help any more than LFR does.My guild isn't even to Lei Shen on normal yet, but he's the only one who is a 100% drop every week. The exception is you get to start a few weeks ahead of everyone doing LFR only at the beginning of the patch since they take some weeks before everything is fully unlocked in LFR, but if you stay on top of stuff you definitely get the cape before the next patch.

In other news. the dialogue during the Celestial Blessing fight is great. Chi-Ji's teachings got me all misty eyed. Healer fight specific spoilers:
paraphrasing a bit: Wrathion: "I...I made. It. I did not fall." Chi-Ji: "You did not fall because (player) did not let you fall. That trust, that bond, that is hope."
I've heard that the DPS ones are really brutal (a guildie of mine was doing 232k in the melee one and still couldn't do it, he just did the tank one instead)

Ceebs

Well, yeah, but if they made them hit harder and forced groups to use CC, people would complain about HAVING to use CC, like so:

To some people stuff like MGT was 'great difficulty' to others the CC needed was just annoying. So now we have the charge in and tank the whole group method.

It was not "hard" exactly since everyone just used a focus macro on their CC target, it just made the dungeons take forever.

Also you could not do them as soon as you hit 70 since you had to grind rep to get attuned for each heroic at the start of BC.

I don't mind the current round up all the trash and AOE it down approach, but the bosses need to be challenging in place of challenging trash mobs. Every one I have done so far has pretty much been zerg it down and side step out of glowy shit.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Wow, I didn't know that. Going to look up on how to start moving towards that tonight.

You got quests to do for months to even reach the stage that most people are now if you haven't started yet though. I know i wouldn't bother that late.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Wow, I didn't know that. Going to look up on how to start moving towards that tonight.

You got quests to do for months to even reach the stage that most people are now if you haven't started yet though. I know i wouldn't bother that late.

That's a little discouraging. The only major road block would be: grinding the quest that requires you to get 3000 Valor Points, and then the horrible RNG of getting the Secrets of the Empire and Titan Runestones.

Ultratech

Horde here. I'm totally oblivious to how cross-realm anything works. Can you seriously just do anything in a group cross-server now? Even group up before LFRing together?

Pretty much. There's really only very few things you can't do CRZ with, like current content (say like Normal/Heroic ToT at the moment).

Fjordson

Meh, I don't mind being late. It's something to work for lol.

Also, Oon just gave me the 522 ring that he gave me two weeks ago. Fucker.

Cipherr

I just remembered how many stealthed mobs Burning Crusade heroics had, tailor made to fuck up a timed run or cut your healer in half from behind while you were occupied elsewhere. Shadow Labyrinth was a real offender here.

Good times to be a hunter. Groups loved you if you learned how to protect the healer and expose the stealthers with flares.

I should stop being lazy on my Death Knight and get the rep I need so I can continue the chain (at honored right now and got the 3k valor already). On my mage right now I'm on the 20 secrets of the empire and will hopefully get the rest next week (have 15 so far and have 3 more LFR's to do this week). Still need 4k rep to hit exalted but that shouldn't take too long.

Fjordson

I should stop being lazy on my Death Knight and get the rep I need so I can continue the chain (at honored right now and got the 3k valor already). On my mage right now I'm on the 20 secrets of the empire and will hopefully get the rest next week (have 15 so far and have 3 more LFR's to do this week). Still need 4k rep to hit exalted but that shouldn't take too long.
Yeah, might as well. That cloak is great!

Still no weapon drops in LFR, but I just got the Saurok Stalker's gloves, so with the 522 Saurok Stalker's legs I now have the 2-piece set bonus. Not bad.

Ultratech

Heh, I did Oon on my DK earlier today.

Won a DPS neck from him. Go for a Bonus Roll...the same damn thing. :\

Goddammit, RNG!

On the plus side, I finished up getting Secrets on my DK (went a LOT faster than my Hunter).

Now I just gotta get some Trillium.

vocab

Took me less 4-6 weeks to get from beginning to secrets. Shit is easy to power through as long as you commit the time each week to do the stuff required.

Yeah, might as well. That cloak is great!

Still no weapon drops in LFR, but I just got the Saurok Stalker's gloves, so with the 522 Saurok Stalker's legs I now have the 2-piece set bonus. Not bad.

I'm convinced Blood DK's can't win weapons from LFR unless you set your role as frost or unholy. Never have gotten one on my DK and eventually I caved in and bought a 502 one. Just got a 516 one from a heroic scenario though. My mage and especially my moonkin hasn't had much problem with weapon drops though.

Fjordson

I'm convinced Blood DK's can't win weapons from LFR unless you set your role as frost or unholy. Never have gotten one on my DK and eventually I caved in and bought a 502 one. Just got a 516 one from a heroic scenario though. My mage and especially my moonkin hasn't had much problem with weapon drops though.
Yeah, I have really bad luck with weapons, but oh well.

Also, I'm curious, where did you get the 502 weapon from?

Ah, okay.

Man, I wish hunters had a craftable end game weapon out there. As far as I know there's nothing above 463 item lvl outside of raids and the heroic scenario cache.

Well, you're close. H Shado Pan Monastery has a small chance of dropping an epic agility one-hander off the last boss that's 476. I ran it a bunch and finally got one of them for my enhance shaman and a 463 heroic drop before I started getting LFR drops.

I've actually got two 502 agility weapons to drop (possibly a third?) and have had a resto 502 drop after changing specialization. Been fairly lucky in ToT for that. But I'm all 502 and above so I guess I've been fairly lucky overall. Even have all five pieces of T15.

Slayerx

Finally got Netherspace Abyssal, never have to do chess again! But ummm, literally 10 weeks in a row R&J for opera, never getting that pet.

Edit: Oh, nvm. Just got big bad wolf on my DK.....

mclem

Scholo, SM, and the tree one. They're all the same level in other expansions too, doesn't mean they're tuned to the same difficulty.

I've never really felt those three were harder than the others, although Scholo and SM are notably *longer*

And yes, this thread told me earlier that heroic scenarios are where there's some challenge. Challenge mode doesn't interest me much as it seems way more enjoyable with 4 friends which I don't have access to anymore.

I might be misunderstanding you, but this seems a little oxymoronic; you want a challenge but *don't* want one difficult enough to require a preformed group?

I'm going to have to guess people that think BC heroics were easy were playing with a solid team of well-geared players. I jumped in pretty late into BC as a pally tank and worked super hard to get uncrushable and uncrittable before finally trying a heroic due to how difficult they were. This was after being an off-tank for Kara and Gruul's each week. My roommate (resto druid) and I gathered three people letting them know it was our first attempt after gearing up. We went into Slave Pens since it was listed as the easiest. At the very first pull I melted after getting hit two or three times and the heals weren't enough to keep me alive.

I was a pally tank myself, and I remember really struggling on Shadow Labs *normal* when we first got there, but I'm under no misconceptions that I was a skilled player at that point. However, after reading and researching, and lots of practice, I never really found them all that difficult, and I was always the go-to tank for the Shattered Halls timed runs.

Then again, I was always running with my guild, which may well affect things. We got to a point where we were good enough to solotank/soloheal Kara, except for those bosses which absolutely required extra ones. My lot may not have been representative!

mclem

Rösti;72643021 said:

I seem to remember hearing it did something to tooltips, too, to make the quality clear? Or is that a different setting?

apparently the drop rate is supposed to be the same, don't think there is any actual hard data on it through
and no, like secrets same lock out, so if you do lfr can't get it in normal and vice versa

If Blizzard aren't incompetent (YMMV on that front!) the drop rate *has* to be the same, because otherwise you'd be penalised for doing LFR earlier in the week than normal.

mclem

There's also the slight disappointment in completing the first section to get an item... which is now rather useless.

I wonder if Sha-Touched sockets will be back in Org. I know people have noticed a Gorehowl, which shows some promise.

secrets + runestones is what takes the longest.
Is that not simply because they're current? I suspect the droprate will get a tweak when 5.4 hits.

I have three runestones to go. Theoretically possible in a week, guaranteed in three. Wonder if I'll beat 5.4

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I might be misunderstanding you, but this seems a little oxymoronic; you want a challenge but *don't* want one difficult enough to require a preformed group?

It's not even that I wanted a challenge, it's that I wanted a little effort than chain pull mobs and aoe down, then chain pull bosses and not step in fire. People think cc is annoying but it actually requires you to..do something. Not aoe wildly, position mobs, keep your eye on something other than your go to leet dps button. I dunno, these heroics have just been boring.

Challenge mode is fine but isn't the goal of challenge mode to get gold? Maybe I'm overestimating them, but I doubt pugs easily get gold, right? So it seems like something you'd work and practice on with guildies and friends, but I don't have access to that anymore so it's not really for me.

Ultratech

Ah, okay.

Man, I wish hunters had a craftable end game weapon out there. As far as I know there's nothing above 463 item lvl outside of raids and the heroic scenario cache.

There's an epic 476 bow that drops from Raigonn (low drop rate) and a 483 Gun that pops up on the BMAH sometimes.
Also an epic bow drops from one of the Isle of Thunder rares/summons.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I...

... Miss y... you, Mal'Ganis...

So much. So god damn much...

Hey guys, apologies if I'm asking stupid questions but I've just jumped back on board with Mists of Pandaria after a few years away. I'm currently running a LVL. 73 Hunter. I have absolutely no idea what to spend talent points on as the talent system has dramatically changed since I last played. I'd love to hear some suggestions as to a viable solo build. A build that will help me quickly hit the higher levels. I'm presuming Beast Mastery is still viable for pet tanking?

Otherwise, if someone could point me in the direction of accepted builds, that'd be also appreciated. Thanks guys.

EDIT: Just wanted to say that I absolutely love the pet battle system. I haven't spent much time on it, but it's fun and I'm enjoying it a great deal more than I'd expected to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom