• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

strafer

Hey guys, apologies if I'm asking stupid questions but I've just jumped back on board with Mists of Pandaria after a few years away. I'm currently running a LVL. 73 Hunter. I have absolutely no idea what to spend talent points on as the talent system has dramatically changed since I last played. I'd love to hear some suggestions as to a viable solo build. A build that will help me quickly hit the higher levels. I'm presuming Beast Mastery is still viable for pet tanking?

Otherwise, if someone could point me in the direction of accepted builds, that'd be also appreciated. Thanks guys.

There is no builds anymore. Just pick whatever you want.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
So I switched my DK over from Frost to Unholy, and I gotta say, I'm not doing near the dps I was doing under Frost. Actually, I take that back, I do but only on bosses that live long enough for my diseases to really start working good. I'm only at iLevel 497, still using a 487-ish 2-hander because I can't get anything else better to drop, and I was usually in the top 10 dps with my Frost build, but with Unholy I'm lucky to be top 15.

It's def easier to play, though.

vocab

So I switched my DK over from Frost to Unholy, and I gotta say, I'm not doing near the dps I was doing under Frost. Actually, I take that back, I do but only on bosses that live long enough for my diseases to really start working good. I'm only at iLevel 497, still using a 487-ish 2-hander because I can't get anything else better to drop, and I was usually in the top 10 dps with my Frost build, but with Unholy I'm lucky to be top 15.

It's a very gear dependent spec just like fire for mages. Well maybe not as bad. Fire without gear is pretty crap. Unoly without gear is behind 2h frost.

Draxal

There's also the slight disappointment in completing the first section to get an item... which is now rather useless.

I wonder if Sha-Touched sockets will be back in Org. I know people have noticed a Gorehowl, which shows some promise.

They said no and datamined Gorehowl didn't have a slot.

Talents

Banned
So I haven't played this since WotLK but one of my good mates recently started playing with some other people and is wanting me to start playing again, but they've moved server so I'll have to level another character as I'm not willing to pay £15 to move my character. Can you guy recommend or post a link as to a good fast levelling route, e.g. Elwynn Forest > Westfall > whatever comes next in the levelling route. (Playing Alliance Human)
All help would be greatly appreciated.

Does Europe not have the scroll of rez bonuses for free transfer/faction/80?

No idea, but anyway, I think I want to roll a new class anyway tbh as I've played Mage ever since I started playing WoW which was like at the beginning of BC, gotta change it up to stop me from getting bored. But what? You can get a free level 80? That seems really cheap.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
So I haven't played this since WotLK but one of my good mates recently started playing with some other people and is wanting me to start playing again, but they've moved server so I'll have to level another character as I'm not willing to pay £15 to move my character. Can you guy recommend or post a link as to a good fast levelling route, e.g. Elwynn Forest > Westfall > whatever comes next in the levelling route. (Playing Alliance Human)

Does Europe not have the scroll of rez bonuses for free transfer/faction/80?

Tamanon

Banned

Elwynn > Westfall > Restridge > Duskwood > North STV > South STV > West Plague > East Plague > Feralas > Winterspring > Blasted Lands

Basically after level 10, you'll be swapping zones every 5 levels. I'd try mixing up some dungeons as you level as the XP from quests in there are really good while in the 1-60 range.Also, each city should have an Adventurer's Board that'll let you know what zone needs your help now(aka which one is your level).

Talents

Banned
Elwynn > Westfall > Restridge > Duskwood > North STV > South STV > West Plague > East Plague > Feralas > Winterspring > Blasted Lands

Basically after level 10, you'll be swapping zones every 5 levels. I'd try mixing up some dungeons as you level as the XP from quests in there are really good while in the 1-60 range.Also, each city should have an Adventurer's Board that'll let you know what zone needs your help now(aka which one is your level).

Awesome. Thanks so much. Now time to try and level up to 90 asap.

Robin64

Nah, use the natural cookie (the rocket) of East Plague > Badlands > Searing Gorge > Burning Steppes > Swamp of Sorrows > Blasted Lands

Those are awesome zones since Cata, for one, and it's the natural path now too.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
It's a very gear dependent spec just like fire for mages. Well maybe not as bad. Fire without gear is pretty crap. Unoly without gear is behind 2h frost.

I figured that might be the answer, thanks! I'm going back to Frost until I get more than just LFR gears.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?

Speaking of this, my mage hit 515 ilvl.

So close to being geared enough for fire. Can't wait.

mclem

Awesome. Thanks so much. Now time to try and level up to 90 asap.

https://eu.battle.net/support/en/article/scroll-of-resurrection-faq

I suggest doing the scroll of res stuff *anyway*, even if you're going to start a new character. There's some nice perks for it. Although if you're after a fun levelling experience might perhaps be smart to not use the free levels feature.

You'll get:

Free upgrade to Cataclysm (Still need to buy Pandaria)
Free upgrade of one character of your choice to 80 (no requirement to do that if you don't want to; the point is that if you want to play with a friend who's further on than you, now you can)
Free transfer of character to the realm/faction of your friend as long as it's the one going to 80.
7 days of game time at no cost

scoobs

Unholy is actually worse than frost up until about ilvl ~522 ish. Anything after that and unholy is a noticeable dps increase. The further up you ilvl goes, the more it pulls away from frost. Frost is a broken spec, they need to look into why it scales so terribly.

Got my heroic ji-kun trinket last night, feels good bro

Magnus

No idea, but anyway, I think I want to roll a new class anyway tbh as I've played Mage ever since I started playing WoW which was like at the beginning of BC, gotta change it up to stop me from getting bored. But what? You can get a free level 80? That seems really cheap.

Man. Time is money. Even $30 to me is a small price to pay to avoid having to do 1-90 again, especially if the character is just going to rot on another server.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
When all the cool kids were trinket+pom pyroing back in the day.. I was stackin crit.. lookin for those shatters.. keepin my barrier up and ready to cold snap. Little did they know I was pioneering the frost revolution. Then locks got buffed.

Stick with your heart.

TimeKillr

Unholy is actually worse than frost up until about ilvl ~522 ish. Anything after that and unholy is a noticeable dps increase. The further up you ilvl goes, the more it pulls away from frost. Frost is a broken spec, they need to look into why it scales so terribly.

Hell at 502 I notice a difference (using the standard rotation though, not Festerblight).

Frost is horribly broken, as you said, because it just doesn't scale at all :(

Diseased Yak

Gold Member

Grats on the trinket!

Yeah, def the problem I'm seeing then. Didn't realize that Unholy needed such a high ilvl. I'll go back to Frost where I belong, for now. I just like the Unholy rotation so much better. I can't stand to be in Frost and have KM proc when I have 6+ seconds left before Obliterate is ready. I've read all the studies and know I just Frost Strike and move on, but man it burns me every single time.

I'm an expert

Also, I went 2 one handers for fury pve/pvp and I'm not sure it's the right call. Shit still seems to die just as fast but something feels off about it. My white damage is through the roof though.

scoobs

Also, I went 2 one handers for fury pve/pvp and I'm not sure it's the right call. Shit still seems to die just as fast but something feels off about it. My white damage is through the roof though.

every fury warrior i know plays with 2 1 handers, guess ull just need to get used to it

I'm an expert

every fury warrior i know plays with 2 1 handers, guess ull just need to get used to it

Yeah, I'm prot main so I don't really care much about SMF squeezing out a bit more dps or whatever.. basically I could buy 2 pvp 1hs instead of 1 pvp 2h and went with the instant gratification. I enjoy transmogin 1hs more as well.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
or play arcane, its better unless ur super lucky :)

Isnt arcane pretty much not viable at all without 4-piece T15? :p

Without that Im pretty sure fire is the top dps spec, though you *really* need that high crit, hence why its suggested to wait till around 520.

scoobs

Isnt arcane pretty much not viable at all without 4-piece T15? :p

Without that Im pretty sure fire is the top dps spec, though you *really* need that high crit, hence why its suggested to wait till around 520.

Fire is theoretically better but only if u play it perfectly and get lucky on combustions. Refer to raidbot 25H overall dps and you'll see arcane actually performs better overall. Top 100 fire is better though at extremely high iLvls

http://www.raidbots.com/dpsbot/Overall_DPS/25H/all/14/60/default/

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Fire is theoretically better but only if u play it perfectly and get lucky on combustions. Refer to raidbot 25H overall dps and you'll see arcane actually performs better overall. Top 100 fire is better though at extremely high iLvls

http://www.raidbots.com/dpsbot/Overall_DPS/25H/all/14/60/default/

Well yes, and the people pulling those numbers are the ones I would *expect* to be in full heroic T15, in which case because of the 4-piece bonus arcane would be better, like I had implied.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I still don't know why they added Titan's Grip to the game.

Magnus

I still don't know why they added Titan's Grip to the game.

Because it's crazy cool! Half the reason I'm keen on capping this Scroll'd warrior. Haha

Man, new pet peeve, RL's and other players calling people by their class instead of their names.

"Mage, food plz."
"Priest, what spec r u?"
"War tank that add plz"

I'm an expert

Man, new pet peeve, RL's and other players calling people by their class instead of their names.

"Mage, food plz."
"Priest, what spec r u?"
"War tank that add plz"

This is exactly what I do. Why wouldn't I do this. Stand in fire more pls, dk.

sqwarlock

I know it sounds odd since this is the way it was back in the day, but having my Horde characters on a different server has led to me neglecting them so much. I could bring them over to Sargeras, but the Horde economy there is complete shit.

Wish I had re-rolled on a more balanced server when I came back earlier this year, but the friend that got me back in (who also stopped playing after about 2 weeks *sigh*) rolled on Sargeras and so now I'm stuck there.

Just hit 90 on my ret paladin, what is some of the stuff I should be doing on a daily basis in order to get to LFR ToT quicker?

Right now I'm doing Island of Thunder dailies, nalak + mogu charm, and LFD Heroics + Scenario daily with reputation going toward sunreavers.

edit: Also the exp boost from 87-90 is delicious, actually feel motivated to level up my balance druid on alliance now.

Magnus

Just hit 90 on my ret paladin, what is some of the stuff I should be doing on a daily basis in order to get to LFR ToT quicker?

Right now I'm doing Island of Thunder dailies, nalak + mogu charm, and LFD Heroics + Scenario daily with reputation going toward sunreavers.

edit: Also the exp boost from 87-90 is delicious, actually feel motivated to level up my balance druid on alliance now.

http://www.icy-veins.com/forums/topic/2221-brand-new-90-heres-your-53-to-do-list/

The de facto 5.3 bible for a new 90. Very useful. Google or ask here about whatever you're confused by. Enjoy!

Tamanon

Banned

Don't forget getting in an Oondasta group if possible, and hitting Sha and Galleon each week.

Also, do your Battlefield: Barrens. It gives you 502 boots at the end via an easy quest and each week you can use your Mojo to get a 489 item. That should get you to 460 and let you start LFRing Mogu'Shan and working up more.

Fjordson

Also, do your Battlefield: Barrens. It gives you 502 boots at the end via an easy quest and each week you can use your Mojo to get a 489 item.
Hmm, what is this? Looks like a weekly quest? I want to do this, Wowhead says it gives 200 valor. Will be able to get my Shado-Pan Assault trinket with that.

Cipherr

Don't forget getting in an Oondasta group if possible, and hitting Sha and Galleon each week.

Also, do your Battlefield: Barrens. It gives you 502 boots at the end via an easy quest and each week you can use your Mojo to get a 489 item. That should get you to 460 and let you start LFRing Mogu'Shan and working up more.

The bolded is a gold mine for getting your ilvl to 480 for the last LFR queues. It gives 200 Valor a week and you can get a single 489 piece a week too for your spec. Toss in kills on Nalak, Sha, Gall and Oon + the free 502 ilvl boots from the questline + Heroic runs and you can gear up in seemingly no time.

Berordn

Is 2 one handers really the best bet for Fury? I was under the impression that Titans Grip was comparable.

They're close, Single-Minded Fury just edges ahead ever so slightly. More specs use 2-handers so you're up for more competition when you go Titan's Grip, so that helps out its popularity.

vocab

http://www.askmrrobot.com/

Shows BIS comparisons for all your slots

pretty sure Bad Juju ,Talisman of Bloodlust, and Renataki's Soul Charm are the best hunter trinkets. Get vicious tailsman though. It's really good, and probably won't be replaced for a long time. Just use bottle until you get a 502 lfr trinket. It really doesn't matter that much.

sqwarlock

Activision Blizzard's press release states that World of Warcraft is down to 7.7 million subscribers. This is a loss of 600,000 subscribers, down from 8.3 million last quarter. A call about the shares purchase will take place on July 26 at 8:30 AM ET, so check back then for any more comments on subscriber numbers.

7.7 million, eh? Still a shit-ton.

Slayerx

I am wondering.....if Tencent owns 25% of Blizzard now (unless I am completely wrong), will Blizzard continue to use Netease in China?

Fjordson

http://www.askmrrobot.com/

Shows BIS comparisons for all your slots

pretty sure Bad Juju ,Talisman of Bloodlust, and Renataki's Soul Charm are the best hunter trinkets. Get vicious tailsman though. It's really good, and probably won't be replaced for a long time. Just use bottle until you get a 502 lfr trinket. It really doesn't matter that much.
Thanks, what's what I was figuring. Will just use those two for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom