• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

scoobs

Until that number drops to like... 5 million, i see no reason to be surprised, or panic if I'm Blizz. Just think about it, if they dropped to 5 million, they'd still have 4 million more subscribers than their best competition.

So we wiped on heroic magaera for basically 2 full weeks of raiding (5 or 6 days I think) and finally killed that bitch, then went on to Ji'kun and killed him 2nd attempt. Feels good bro.

Slayerx

It will be kinda bad for them, but they are probably losing more subs in Asia than in the West, also now they are focusing on extracting more revenue per subscriber. They will actually have to finish Titan and can't reset it the third time or whatever.

scoobs

It will be kinda bad for them, but they are probably losing more subs in Asia than in the West, also now they are focusing on extracting more revenue per subscriber. They will actually have to finish Titan and can't reset it the third time or whatever.

They have known this day would come for a long time, and you are 100% right in thinking they will focus more on more revenue/subscriber now with vanity items like mounts and shit that people will gobble up. The helms and xp boosts are just the beginning, which I'm honestly fine with.

Acidote

We had a great raiding night yesterday. We made great progression on Horridon 10HM althoguh we didn't kill him, downed Tortos 10HM for the first time with just a few attempts, (we're trying to make progression on 2 bosses each week after being a while with a short roster) with a steady progression between them, Ji-kun 10HM dropped the mount for a guildie. Although the loot wasn't that good.

ch0mp

Until that number drops to like... 5 million, i see no reason to be surprised, or panic if I'm Blizz. Just think about it, if they dropped to 5 million, they'd still have 4 million more subscribers than their best competition.

So we wiped on heroic magaera for basically 2 full weeks of raiding (5 or 6 days I think) and finally killed that bitch, then went on to Ji'kun and killed him 2nd attempt. Feels good bro.
He's probably the second easiest boss for hard modes, I'm wondering why you didn't go for him sooner.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman

This is the shit Pachter was talking about when he said NeoGAF doesn't know what its talking about.

If you're a shareholder, the only word in your vocabulary is "growth".

Nice. I gave up on serious raiding in Cata. Spending 8 hours a week on heroic Maloriak was NOT fun.

Slayerx

We might be transitioning from "Lol WoW is dying shit game" to "how does this old game still have these many players?!" phase. I am seeing signs.

Is there a video summery what was going on in wow from cataclysm until the current content?

No but I can try to give a basic idea.

4.0 pre-Cata: New 1-60 and new expansion coming, lots of people come back.
4.0 post-Cata: New heroics and raids too hard, casuals quit. Raids got an average response from core raiders, most stay.
4.1 - New heroics too hard for casuals, some quit. No new raids, raiders quit.
4.2 - New raid, some raiders come back. New dailies, some casuals come back. Old raids not nerfed preventing casuals from trying to raid. Subscriptions end up lower by the time 4.3 comes
4.3 - New raid, new heroics and LFR. The idea of LFR alone makes some raiders quit. Massive difficulty spike near the end of DS preventing progression, raiders quit. No new dailies, casuals quit. Both casuals and raiders get bored before MoP, some of both quit.

Too lazy to do the rest (on my phone) but you get the idea.

mclem

is it safe to go in the WoW sub thread without pulling your hair?

Depends on your tolerance, but it's not as bad as I feared. A couple of blanket statements that people 'round these parts might strongly disagree with, though:

WoW is a corpse at this point. Mists of Pandara was the first expansion to fail to generate any increase at all in sub counts. The best it did was hold them steady. That's pathetic, and deservedly so for such a piece of shit expansion.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
The only thing i hope with them losing people, is that they will soon get rid of the monthly sub, but 7 millions people is still a lot. I doubt they'll do that unless they lose half those people.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
This is the shit Pachter was talking about when he said NeoGAF doesn't know what its talking about.

If you're a shareholder, the only word in your vocabulary is "growth".
Sure, if you're a terrible investor. Actually, what Pachter was talking about was people pretending like they understand how the stock market works and/or what large shareholders actually believe and care about. Its even more egregious that you're complaining about people not knowing what they're talking about when your entire argument on this is just a series of made-up assumptions. (e.g. WoW has X amount of subscribers, Blizzard makes Y money, F2P makes way more than Y, Blizzard is going F2P as soon as possible, etc.)

Thanks for responses, I'm almost ready to enter vaults after a few days.

I wish there were still strength polearms, anyone know if they plan to allow 2hand weapons into polearm transmog? I know they added polearms to titan grip in 5.4.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Thanks for responses, I'm almost ready to enter vaults after a few days.

I wish there were still strength polearms, anyone know if they plan to allow 2hand weapons into polearm transmog? I know they added polearms to titan grip in 5.4.

There are strength polearms. There's one in Throne of Thunder.

That's pretty cool. I can't believe Arthas is 9:1 H:A, a launch server. Kind of disappointed because I'm an alliance guy at heart, even though my paladin is horde.

Angry Grimace

That's pretty cool. I can't believe Arthas is 9:1 H:A, a launch server. Kind of disappointed because I'm an alliance guy at heart, even though my paladin is horde.

PvP realms are usually lame for that reason. Nobody wants to get ganked, they just want to gank other people, so everyone rolls the same faction.

sqwarlock

PvP realms are usually lame for that reason. Nobody wants to get ganked, they just want to gank other people, so everyone rolls the same faction.

That's why I like having Illidan (my Horde server) and Sargeras (my Alliance server) merged in Cross-realm Zones. Each server's imbalance actually seems to balance everything out.

Angry Grimace

That's why I like having Illidan (my Horde server) and Sargeras (my Alliance server) merged in Cross-realm Zones. Each server's imbalance actually seems to balance everything out.

I'm going to laugh when they put like Illidan, Sargeras, Kel'thuzad and Mal'ganis on the same Virtual Realm.

Are Flexible Raids going to be Real ID enabled from the start? If so, I think GAF raids are a reasonable possibility, right?

sqwarlock

I'm going to laugh when they put like Illidan, Sargeras, Kel'thuzad and Mal'ganis on the same Virtual Realm.

Are Flexible Raids going to be Real ID enabled from the start? If so, I think GAF raids are a reasonable possibility, right?

That virtual realm would be so insane; I WANT IT!

Yeah I'm probably going to reroll alliance on some other server where it is more equal for the next expansion (hope we get to see it at this year's blizzcon, probably will get atleast a video and name).

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Got some set tanking gloves from Sha.. nutin like dat feelin when the rng is in your favor. I got absolutely nothing from two consecutive trove runs. This weekend will be my first time jumping in lfr. I'm wondering if I should go as dps first before going as tank so I get an idea of wtf is goin on.

Also, I have no effing idea what flex raids are or how cross server shit works but if we can get some gaf groups going, I would always be down.

Fjordson

I know I'm years late to the party, but mutha fuckin' Loque'nahak finally tamed! I've had the worst luck with this guy (even seen him killed by horde right as my NPCscan targeted him 20-30 yards in front of me). Woo!

Anyone read the new novel? How is it?

Since I see no one grabbed this yet...

I liked it but it felt more like one of the side stories you'd read on their site versus what you normally get out of the novels lately. It's like they took feedback from too much being explained in the book (and not enough in game) from Tides of War and went in the opposite direction. The result was, to me, was not enough of a balance for rewarding the player for reading the book and not punishing the player who doesn't.

I dunno. It's cool if you like Vol'jin but nothing that demands you should read it.

Ceebs

Finally got up to 460 item level and tried out the the LFR.

So why did I spend an hour reading and watching videos on boss strats if everyone just ignores every mechanic?

Anyways, finished 4th in DPS in nothing but heroic blues and those epic boots you get from walking the panda up a mountain so I am pleased with myself.

sqwarlock

So why did I spend an hour reading and watching videos on boss strats if everyone just ignores every mechanic?

Anyways, finished 4th in DPS in nothing but heroic blues and those epic boots you get from walking the panda up a mountain so I am pleased with myself.

I had the same experience once I finally jumped in. Spent time on tentonhammer.com with their LFR guides, and even watched Fatboss's 10-man normal guides just to get an idea of what to expect. All for nothing, pretty much.

Ceebs

I had the same experience once I finally jumped in. Spent time on tentonhammer.com with their LFR guides, and even watched Fatboss's 10-man normal guides just to get an idea of what to expect. All for nothing, pretty much.

I felt bad for the poor healers.

ampere

Yea, they open gradually by wing I think, but the first wing will be available for cross realm with Btags the first week of 5.4

Pretty sure you can run flex raid multiple times on one character, just only loot eligible once. I could maybe help some US-Ally GAFers with my brewmaster

Tarazet

You pretty much only need to watch videos if you want to tank, and even then, the strategy might be completely different in LFR. I watched Fatboss' video on 10 man Dark Animus. In normal, since the golems empower one another and increase their damage enormously, every raid member has to pick a golem to tank, and you have to kill them next to specific damaged golems so that you don't get a live Large activated. Then you activate a Massive and move it around, killing more golems next to it. It's a slow-paced coordination exercise, but if you do it right, it takes only about 3 minutes.

In LFR, the anima golem don't buff each other, so you just group everything up and kite around the Crimson Wake while AE'ing them down, then you get two massives plus Animus. Everyone ignores the Massives and just focuses down Dark Animus, but he has a ton of health, so he lasts a lot longer.

Tanking Lei Shen was difficult even after watching a video, because it's almost exactly the same as 10 man normal, just with 25 people to clear it. Once you know it, you can one-tank it, set all the movements and /rw bark out orders at the same time.

mclem

Yeah I'm probably going to reroll alliance on some other server where it is more equal for the next expansion (hope we get to see it at this year's blizzcon, probably will get atleast a video and name).

I think that's guaranteed, unless they're woefully behind schedule on it. They've done so well at producing Mists content at a steady pace that I'd hope they're finally managing the rate of production they've been aiming for since Burning Crusade.

strafer

Motherfucking green horse. Finally.

Fel_nightmare.jpg

Fel_gorgon101.jpg

Fjordson

Checking out Abyssal Depths for the first time (trying to tame Ghostcrawler) and this is an amazing looking zone. Though as someone who gets nervous with underwater levels, it's a little freaky. So much wide open darkness ahead when swimming around (especially with a mediocre draw distance setting). I almost shit myself when I saw one of those tentacle horrors :lol

ZenaxPure

Checking out Abyssal Depths for the first time (trying to tame Ghostcrawler) and this is an amazing looking zone. Though as someone who gets nervous with underwater levels, it's a little freaky. So much wide open darkness ahead when swimming around (especially with a mediocre draw distance setting). I almost shit myself when I saw one of those tentacle horrors :lol

You should probably go say hello to a whale shark. They will be your best friends if you let them.

Brofist

Because you don't need any strat in LFR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom