• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

mclem

We're in pretty much exactly the same position (on 25man HC) but we just need a few more attempts practice to get it down. I have wildly optimistic hopes for tonight...

Heh, it's only 10man normal for us :)

Which tactic did you go with in the end? We're disabling Static Shock and Diffusion Chain to have them active in P3 and using Mass Spell Reflect to dump more DPS back onto Lei Shen.

...which means I'll just gaze blankly at this statement.

CassSept

Well, nothing from neither Oondasta or Nalak this week. Means that I have nothing to upgrade, nothing to buy, nothing to spend valor on. Eh.

At least I still have heroic scenarios to farm because the game is trolling me and drops every single possible piece except for the 2 I want. Hell, I got three weapons for combat yet I still have to see a dagger from there. Ridiculous.

Btw, I topped out at 524 equipped and 527 overall without raiding and that is very near to what I believe is the maximum as far as gearing up without raiding goes. Pushing to 528 is definitely manageable, I guess you can go all up to 530 but you'd be pretty pressed to go any further.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Well, nothing from neither Oondasta or Nalak this week. Means that I have nothing to upgrade, nothing to buy, nothing to spend valor on. Eh.

At least I still have heroic scenarios to farm because the game is trolling me and drops every single possible piece except for the 2 I want. Hell, I got three weapons for combat yet I still have to see a dagger from there. Ridiculous.

Btw, I topped out at 524 equipped and 527 overall without raiding and that is very near to what I believe is the maximum as far as gearing up without raiding goes. Pushing to 528 is definitely manageable, I guess you can go all up to 530 but you'd be pretty pressed to go any further.

I was wondering how far I'd make it, and figured some where in the 520-ish range. I can't find a raiding guild on my shit server to save my life so I'm just going to have to wait for the virtual realm stuff and hope it affords me raiding opportunity.

I've still got a ways to go, though. Will be another couple of months of spending valor and LFR'ing before I top out.

rallaren

Fucking piece of shit.

I wiped on Sarth 25 3D when he had 80k HP left. FUCKING PISS.
The times we live in; Soloing raid instances and say "I wiped"
KuGsj.gif

Clipse

My luck this week is shit. I ran the Zandalari wing of LFR today four times for the Bad Juju trinket on Council. That was painful due to all the thrash which are really boring to fight. Used all my bonus loot on the Council and nope it didn't dropped.
I hate that trinket. After finally getting it the first time, it dropped twice in a row for the next 2 weeks w/o bonus rolls lol. Still waiting for a Renataki's though, since it's a slight upgrade.

My luck this week is shit. I ran the Zandalari wing of LFR today four times for the Bad Juju trinket on Council. That was painful due to all the thrash which are really boring to fight. Used all my bonus loot on the Council and nope it didn't dropped. Decided to run Pinnacle for the resto trinket on Leishen and also nada. Killed both Nalak and Galleon and again nothing. So, between 6 LFR bosses, two world bosses, and 3 bonus rolls all I got were gold gold gold. God damn. Not even one item I didn't want dropped from them :(

If it makes you feel better I've killed Iron Qon 37 times on my warlock, using a roll each time, and haven't seen the shoulders token. But of the three pieces of loot he can drop me I've seen 5 and 8 of the other two items. I also had a streak of 17 bonus rolls (post bonus roll bad luck protection) used just on him that gave me nothing.

My DK on the other hand, who just killed him once per week, has seen at least 3 shoulder tokens without even using rolls. Good ol RNG.

Now only the final bosses in LFR gives you valor?

Not I am complaining, I only need 1 more item from Shadopan assault but usually I get the buff in one day and go leveling up my tank.

Tarazet

I hate that trinket. After finally getting it the first time, it dropped twice in a row for the next 2 weeks w/o bonus rolls lol. Still waiting for a Renataki's though, since it's a slight upgrade.

Depending on the spec, it's more than a slight upgrade. My Druid has a heroic Renataki's and it's a freaking monster. I have 45,000 Agility when everything lines up.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I don't think that's anything new, is it? You get the valor for 'completing the instance', don't you?

It always been like that. But i think that since 5.3, some mini bosses can give like 10 VP or something. Funny how they give VP, but not the actual bosses.

Totalriot

... and where did I imply that it was? All I said was that lightning steel ingots are getting replaced by this and living steel is still going to be worth more.

My bad. I read your post wrong. I thought you meant that because of the new ingots the price for Living Steel would rise.

ampere

I'm really enjoying my Brewmaster now after playing my bear since MoP launch. Tons of character and fun abilities, and I think he's actually less squishy than any of my other tanks were just starting in MoP. (Got a 90 Druid, DK, and Paladin) I spammed elder charms to get the T14 4-piece and a couple of weapons, and it was well worth it. Tanking Horridon with 479K HP was no problem at all.. just keep up Shuffle and Power Guard, macro Elusive Brew to Jab, purify Stagger after every Triple Puncture. Very undramatic.

It's a brilliant combination of proactive and reactive abilities. The only tank that feels completely polished and thought out in this expansion IMO. They run way hot on threat, but for now, I'm undergeared so it balances out. I just wish the drop rates from LFR were better. They're such long instances that it's a pain to run them repeatedly.

They were definitely designed with active mitigation in mind and it shows. Brewmaster is a fantastic spec and I love it. My raid complains that I beat them in dps on single target fights like Durumu lol.

Bears need a revamp honestly, their main active mitigation is... dodge. Well what happens when you get unlucky and don't dodge? Like Sha of Fear's Dread Thrash, no dodges = splat. Savage Defense should be a physical absorb like it used to be, but maybe that would make Bears too similar to Blood DKs, I dunno.

How is the game now from a PvE point of view? Has 25 man raiding recovered? How is MoP? Is it worthwhile getting my feet wet again?

25 man raiding is still dwindling, but it still exists if you are willing to xfer to the right realm.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Woo. Thank god. Got secrets number 17 making 5 for the week. So barring the worst luck in the world, I should be done with this section next week.

Clipse

What's a good high pop server? My server is pretty much dead (Hakkar), and I'm thinking playing on an actually busy server might be more fun. Is there a gaf group or anything like that? It doesn't help that my friends are all taking a break right now from the game.

I just feel like starting over and making a fresh start on a new realm, possible get into a good sized guild that has active members in it that I can be a part of.
Illidan or Mal'Ganis for Horde (PvP)
Area 52 for Horde (PvE)
Tichondrius or Kel' Thuzad? for Alli (PvP)
Stormrage? for Alli (PvE)

Tarazet

They were definitely designed with active mitigation in mind and it shows. Brewmaster is a fantastic spec and I love it. My raid complains that I beat them in dps on single target fights like Durumu lol.

I beat my DPS on Durumu as a bear too. Don't act like you're special. :D Remember when you got kicked from the raid if you did less damage than the tank? Yeah, those days are gone. Vengeance is a nice mechanic, since it lets you do good damage when you're tanking without making it always the default spec for questing as well. (Though both BrM's and Guardians solo decently.) It is a bit much when you get a lot of mobs though, which is why they're adding diminishing returns in 5.4. The days of solo tanking Tortos + bats and doing 350k DPS are numbered.

Bears need a revamp honestly, their main active mitigation is... dodge. Well what happens when you get unlucky and don't dodge? Like Sha of Fear's Dread Thrash, no dodges = splat. Savage Defense should be a physical absorb like it used to be, but maybe that would make Bears too similar to Blood DKs, I dunno.

The thing about bears is we have double the armor of plate tanks at equal item level, because of our bear form multiplier plus our Mastery. 70-75% physical damage reduction from armor goes a long way towards making RNG matter less.

TimeKillr

It's funny how every MMO I played where they had different types of mitigation (Healing, Absorb, Damage Reduction and Dodge) Dodge was always, ALWAYS waaay below everything else, because it's a stupidly binary stat that doesn't do shit. Having 99% dodge means you'll get hit 1% of the time (and most likely get squished like crazy). Having 99% reduction means you'll never die.

City of Heroes had this massive problem. Dodge tanks were horrible - you could cap dodge at 95% and still those tanks had big problems because hits still got through and caused a ton of damage - when RNG is against you, you can get 2 hits in and die. If you're a resist tank, since you were also capped at 95%, you would resist all damage, and could essentially survive everything. Absorb is also godly in most situations, but damage resistance is so much better than everything else that it makes stuff like Dodge completely useless.

FLEABttn

Banned
The biggest problem here is, of course, WoW designers keep chasing the white whale of some system that causes players to log in every day that isn't raiding. The problem starts to impact everyone when you realize the designers are actually willing to fuck with content and progression to force players kicking and screaming into this, despite the fact that it never, ever amounts to something more than "run a bunch of fucking daily quests."

I'm probably in some small minority but I just don't like this more recent drive to get people to log in every day. Probably even if what this magical content was turned out to be actually fun, it's going to be tied to progression, so it's going to be dragged out, so then it becomes less fun and this system where you punish people for wanting to do something else that's not WoW, which inadvertently makes people not want to play WoW if they constantly feel like they're falling behind.

What was so wrong with banging 7 heroics out on a Saturday for full VP and doing whatever else I wanted during the week, be it WoW related or not?

Bisnic

Yeah, i hate how they cut the VP we get by half once you have done your first daily run.

Some people ask after a heroic "who want to stay for more?", and im like "Why bother? It only gives 40 VP, when i can get 80 by waiting for tomorrow."

ampere

I beat my DPS on Durumu as a bear too. Don't act like you're special. :D Remember when you got kicked from the raid if you did less damage than the tank? Yeah, those days are gone. Vengeance is a nice mechanic, since it lets you do good damage when you're tanking without making it always the default spec for questing as well. (Though both BrM's and Guardians solo decently.) It is a bit much when you get a lot of mobs though, which is why they're adding diminishing returns in 5.4. The days of solo tanking Tortos + bats and doing 350k DPS are numbered.

The thing about bears is we have double the armor of plate tanks at equal item level, because of our bear form multiplier plus our Mastery. 70-75% physical damage reduction from armor goes a long way towards making RNG matter less.
Diminishing returns, yea that makes it less practical to solo tank lots of mobs, won't affect solo tanking Durumu/Iron Qon though. Bear dps is a little below Monks, but still very solid. Yay Crit stacking.

I understand staying tank spec for questing, but personally I prefer going windwalker or feral when I quest. Lots of mobs leash so it can be hard for me to get enough bunched up to justify tank spec.

I agree that Bear's higher armor partially makes up for the random nature of the spec, but what about boss abilities that pierce armor (talon rake)? Design flaws, yeah. Until they redesign Bears they are just good offtanks IMO, go well with a Pally MT.

Yeah, i hate how they cut the VP we get by half once you have done your first daily run.

Some people ask after a heroic "who want to stay for more?", and im like "Why bother? It only gives 40 VP, when i can get 80 by waiting for tomorrow."

I'll go with the group again if I had fun :p

Fun > efficiency for me a lot of the time.

strafer

Just did my first dungeon as a healer. Ragefire Chasm, shit was hard man.

Nearly wiped. ;-)

Kidding aside...healing is pretty fun though. Can't wait for higher level healing.

Bisnic

I'll go with the group again if I had fun :p

Fun > efficiency for me a lot of the time.

Yeah, but the only fun i have in heroics is doing 150k DPS while the other people are only doing 50k or even less. Makes me feels like a god. Of course, i keep it for myself and don't brag about it. ;p

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I couldn't play wow anymore if I didn't trash talk/brag in bgs, instances, trade chat, whatever. Just yesterday I was in a pug heroic tanking and some shammy was doing abysmal dps. I called him out on it and he got smart, so I convinced the rest of the group to wait for 7 more mins till we could kick him. We did just that. That's what makes wow fun for me. Dem salty QQ tears.

Bisnic

I couldn't play wow anymore if I didn't trash talk/brag in bgs, instances, trade chat, whatever. Just yesterday I was in a pug heroic tanking and some shammy was doing abysmal dps. I called him out on it and he got smart, so I convinced the rest of the group to wait for 7 more mins till we could kick him. We did just that. That's what makes wow fun for me. Dem salty QQ tears.

Heroics are such a joke, especially if you have one overgeared DPS in your group, do you really care that much if a DPS in greens/blues is doing low DPS? Or do you really love to ruin the enjoyment of the game for others, no matter the reason? Or by "abysmal", do you mean something like 10k?

I could understand waiting and kicking someone if his low DPS makes a heroic more difficult, almost impossible to complete, but that's not the case with MoP.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!

I'm kind of the opposite, I usually don't mind popping recount to see I'm like 60% of total group damage. I'll carry scrubs all day long, as long as they aren't actually making things harder.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Heroics are such a joke, especially if you have one overgeared DPS in your group, do you really care that much if a DPS in greens/blues is doing low DPS? Or do you really love to ruin the enjoyment of the game for others, no matter the reason? Or by "abysmal", do you mean something like 10k?

I could understand waiting and kicking someone if his low DPS makes a heroic more difficult, almost impossible to complete, but that's not the case with MoP.

It was 10k. Just one of those lazy people who sometimes threw a chain lightning (on a single mob) and was there for the carry. I never stay quiet with that shit, even if my other dps are 530 lol. I've probably kicked like 20+ people so far and I've only been back for 4 weeks. And I'm like 20/20..my votes never fail. I'm kind of a pro at weeding out terribads.

I'm the guild leader/raid leader/bg leader kinda guy so it's natural to me. Also top of the charts kinda guy so being a dick is also natural to me.

Tarazet

It was 10k. Just one of those lazy people who sometimes threw a chain lightning (on a single mob) and was there for the carry. I never stay quiet with that shit, even if my other dps are 530 lol. I've probably kicked like 20+ people so far and I've only been back for 4 weeks. And I'm like 20/20..my votes never fail. I'm kind of a pro at weeding out terribads.

I'm the guild leader/raid leader/bg leader kinda guy so it's natural to me. Also top of the charts kinda guy so being a dick is also natural to me.

I don't care about the numbers, but we had a Rogue AFK through Heart of Fear while I was tanking. Someone called him out on it, and he immediately ninja pulled. I didn't get threat, just asked the raid to wipe it so we could boot him. They did and he was gone. Sometimes the repair bills are worth it just so you're not carrying a fuckbag.

vocab

Just did my first dungeon as a healer. Ragefire Chasm, shit was hard man.

Nearly wiped. ;-)

Kidding aside...healing is pretty fun though. Can't wait for higher level healing.

I have no clue how to heal. I want to, but i don't know high level healing techniques other people use so I'm already shit by default.

Tamanon

Banned
Healing is weird to learn in the game, since from 1-80, mana is meaningless and one spell heals everything. Usually around 85 is when people start getting smacked around by Spirit and have to muscle through.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Disc Priest leveling is always fun! Once you get Atonement you just blast through dungeons with Penance and Smite. Queue as a healer for even more fun.

Was in by far the best last part of ToT LFR I've been in last night. Killed the first twin before the second even spawned. Had 11 dps over 100k dps on the fight (I was 5th at 138k). Lei Shen went smoothly and there was 0 deaths in the whole run.

sqwarlock

Was in by far the best last part of ToT LFR I've been in last night. Killed the first twin before the second even spawned. Had 11 dps over 100k dps on the fight (I was 5th at 138k). Lei Shen went smoothly and there was 0 deaths in the whole run.

Sounds like the guild LFR I ran last night. We comprised about half the raid, and it was the fastest/smoothest ToT 3 & 4 I've ever done.

So I gave a try to the heal spec in my paladin, forgot I dont have any gear for heal but enter a dungeon anyway with my tank spec, best healer ever.

Sciz

I ran into that once, where the majority of the raid was decked out in heroic thunderforged gear. Cleared Pinnacle of Storms in under twenty minutes.

CassSept

If I know I won't be able to do 7 heroic scenarios in a week I sometimes do normal scenarios for some quick valor infusion to help me cap. However, normal scenarios are no longer place for good players and are populated by fresh 90s.

You would not believe the dps they do. It's beneath abysmal. I once had an absolutely terrible group in Brewmoon Festival. I always assume that others will go for the vermin first so I jump straight to saurok to stealth past trash and quickly dispatch him. I've done just that, he is at about 10%, I look behind and I see them swimming dazed with every single mob on them.
I move on, to water elemental. I'm nearly killing it when they catch up. And lo and behold, they put pet to tank the boss, it gets the shield and I have to wait 15 seconds for it to run out because it's hard to disable pet taunts.
That item to help you? Derpa Derpa. And they put all the traps they can right in the middle of the village.

And all through this, hunter was doing steady 15k dps while warlock trudged along with 10k dps. Horrific. It took forever to complete even if I was nearly soloing it.

Hell, I sometimes solo some of the scenarios (Crypt of the Forgotten Kings! It must be weird to them when they are killing these vortexes and suddenly bam, scenario completed gl hf bb) and it proves to be quicker than waiting for them to catch up and more fun.

Bisnic

Sometimes, when im healing with my Holy Paladin, i like to throw my Light's Hammer on a big group for AOE healing and some damage.

Sometimes, that hammer alone is doing more DPS than one of the DPS players.

CFJI5Se.jpg

scoobs

Sometimes, when im healing with my Holy Paladin, i like to throw my Light's Hammer on a big group for AOE healing and some damage.

Sometimes, that hammer alone is doing more DPS than one of the DPS players.

CFJI5Se.jpg

There are exponentially more bad DPS than good DPS. its like 10-1.

Jedi2016

There are exponentially more bad DPS than good DPS. its like 10-1.
I ran some dungeon the other day, ended up #2 on the DPS charts. And by a pretty wide margin, too.. the #3 guy was waaay back.

I was the tank.

(would have been funnier if I was the healer, but oh well)

I ran some dungeon the other day, ended up #2 on the DPS charts. And by a pretty wide margin, too.. the #3 guy was waaay back.

I was the tank.

(would have been funnier if I was the healer, but oh well)

The random heroic I did today on my DK. Total damage for the instance was
Me - 106.35m
Tank - 39.21m
DPS - 20.76m
DPS - 13.85m
Healer - 7.29m

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom