• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loxley

Decided to come back to WoW after taking (yet another) extended break. If anyone's looking for a laughably under-geared Alliance Paladin to group with, let me know. My server is practically dead and all of my former in-game friends have vanished.

0y76.jpg

CassSept

5.4 will bring in connected realms so most of the dead servers should have new life breathed into them.

I liked Sunwell sets. I loved how a mix of SWP gear and T6 workes for my rogues, but then again it's a blood elf. There certainly is a lot to the theory that SWP gear works mostly for belves.

Sigh. Mop is on sale and I am getting the itch. Thing is I would start over, maybe on sarg as a panda priest and finally try alliance. But, worried about being a lowly level one and being alone in the world. Decisions...

Fjordson

Sigh. Mop is on sale and I am getting the itch. Thing is I would start over, maybe on sarg as a panda priest and finally try alliance. But, worried about being a lowly level one and being alone in the world. Decisions...
Sargeras is awesome man. Always pugs going on, lots of world of PvP (although that's more from cross-realm zones) and alliance is especially good. Higher population than Horde side by a decent amount and run ins with douche bags have been rare for me.

Plus you don't really have to worry about playing alone. Cross realm zones mean you actually see other lowbies questing out in the world and the dungeon finder means you'll have a dungeon group within a few minutes 24/7. Especially if you're going to heal on your priest. I'm levelig a disc priest right now and I can't remember the last time I waited for more than a minute in the dungeon queue. Even at odd times (I'm on at like 2-3 AM fairly often).

Fjordson

I really like watching 3's arena on Twitch, lol. As a casual PvP'er, a good 3's team is pretty entertaining, 2's are sort of boring, and 5's are too hectic for me to follow everything happening.

Neverfade

Might be jumping back into this for a bit. What's the best UI mod for action bars? For the life of me I can't remember what I used before I quit.

Wife and I are going to play for a few weeks for fun, trying out some MMOs. Played both factions with characters up to 60/70 respectively back in 09'.

Questions: Any classes broken right now? Anything shit? Any professions broken? Anything shit?

sqwarlock

Sargeras is awesome man. Always pugs going on, lots of world of PvP (although that's more from cross-realm zones) and alliance is especially good. Higher population than Horde side by a decent amount and run ins with douche bags have been rare for me.

Plus you don't really have to worry about playing alone. Cross realm zones mean you actually see other lowbies questing out in the world and the dungeon finder means you'll have a dungeon group within a few minutes 24/7. Especially if you're going to heal on your priest. I'm levelig a disc priest right now and I can't remember the last time I waited for more than a minute in the dungeon queue. Even at odd times (I'm on at like 2-3 AM fairly often).

Yessss join us on Sargeras.

Ceebs

Wife and I are going to play for a few weeks for fun, trying out some MMOs. Played both factions with characters up to 60/70 respectively back in 09'.

Questions: Any classes broken right now? Anything shit? Any professions broken? Anything shit?

I quit around the same time and just came back. The game feels very different now. I was shocked at how much they changed.

Really? I think the game is at a pretty good spot right now. I'm having more fun than I have in years.

Yeah man. The animation was so stiff and the graphics were so bad I was laughing at it.

$15 a month? No thanks. There are a ton of FTP games now and even though WoW is the most mechanically polished, I'm not gonna make it.

Props to you guys that are still truckin', but it's clear why the game's bleeding subscribers.

Fjordson

Yeah man. The animation was so stiff and the graphics were so bad I was laughing at it.
Oh, well I guess I can understand that. I can't pretend like it's super advanced technically or anything, and some stuff is really long in the tooth (the models for the original races could really use an overhaul) but I still adore the overall art style of the game. Still looks interesting to me.

Tamanon

Banned
Finally get a LFR group to pop for the 2nd half of Heart of Fear for my Warlock(hit 90 last monday) and get 3 tier drops. Good times.

Ultratech

Did a 25-man ToT pug earlier tonight.

Actually wasn't too bad, but we got stuck on Horridon like I thought we would.

Hell, I was more amazed that we actually managed to round up 25 people on my server.

One-shotted Jin'rokh no problem, but Horridon gave us some issues because of the adds all over the place. Got pretty far on four attempts though.
On our last attempt, we managed to get all the doors busted down, but the adds from the last door ended up overwhelming us.
Our general issues on that fight basically boiled down to not killing the adds fast enough after the 2nd/3rd door.

Gonna try again tomorrow night, but most everyone was pretty competent, so I'm sure we can bust through Horridon.

Decided to come back to WoW after taking (yet another) extended break. If anyone's looking for a laughably under-geared Alliance Paladin to group with, let me know. My server is practically dead and all of my former in-game friends have vanished.

Yeah, I know the feeling.

Same thing happened to me when I came back.

But then I started hitting up OpenRaid and doing stuff on there, which lead me to knowing some people on there and doing stuff with them.

Of course, a server transfer is an option as well or wait until 5.4 and see how those Connected Realms pan out.

Cipherr

I can feel my interest waning. Since late Wrath I always reactivate for a month or two, level a few of my characters, run a few raids, get a little gear, fiddle with some of the rep grinds, and lose interest.

Think Ill probably cancel my account after this months billing in a few days. I've got my 1 month out of this expansion. Ill probably check in again in the next one for a short time.

Shame they didn't get flex raids in before my mind wandered, lol.

vocab

$15 a month? No thanks. There are a ton of FTP games now and even though WoW is the most mechanically polished, I'm not gonna make it.

Props to you guys that are still truckin', but it's clear why the game's bleeding subscribers.

Graphics are bad? I don't even want to know what you think of games made before wow look like. You do know this game is on the warcraft 3 engine, and warcraft 3 has aged really badly.

Wow has aged incredibly well. Go play any other mmo before wow that isn't lineage 2. Ancient as hell. I know of some games from the early 90's on the PC that looks better than them.

The only thing that's dated is the defualt UI, and the engine limitations. Animations are fine, hell there's not many mmo's where you see your character actually walking up stairs properly (it's not that great in wow, but still).

I'm not gonna give you anymore shit, but saying lol bad without a reason is pretty trollish.

I can feel my interest waning. Since late Wrath I always reactivate for a month or two, level a few of my characters, run a few raids, get a little gear, fiddle with some of the rep grinds, and lose interest.

Think Ill probably cancel my account after this months billing in a few days. I've got my 1 month out of this expansion. Ill probably check in again in the next one for a short time.

Shame they didn't get flex raids in before my mind wandered, lol.

Take a break man. Once the patch is out that new interest will spark.

Magnus

Graphics are bad? I don't even want to know what you think of games made before wow look like. You do know this game is on the warcraft 3 engine, and warcraft 3 has aged really badly.

Wow has aged incredibly well. Go play any other mmo before wow that isn't lineage 2. Ancient as hell. I know of some games from the early 90's on the PC that looks better than them.

The only thing that's dated is the defualt UI, and the engine limitations. Animations are fine, hell there's not many mmo's where you see your character actually walking up stairs properly (it's not that great in wow, but still).

I'm not gonna give you anymore shit, but saying lol bad without a reason is pretty trollish.

Take a break man. Once the patch is out that new interest will spark.

It's on the WC3 engine? Seriously?

Wow.

CassSept

It's obvious since some models are visibly pulled straight from WC III with some graphical updates, though most of them were refined by now. Hell, in vanilla WoW high elves looked exactly like WC III, didn't they?

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
It's obvious since some models are visibly pulled straight from WC III with some graphical updates, though most of them were refined by now. Hell, in vanilla WoW high elves looked exactly like WC III, didn't they?

I don't think anything was directly ripped from WC III into WoW, but it sure looks like they upscaled some stuff and added some polys to WC III stuff in the WoW beta. It looks like they went back on that though, since a lot of race models were re-done.

CassSept

I don't think anything was directly ripped from WC III into WoW, but it sure looks like they upscaled some stuff and added some polys to WC III stuff in the WoW beta. It looks like they went back on that though, since a lot of race models were re-done.

Yeah, but some sooner or later. I have no source but just looking at them, I am inclined to believe there was barely any work done on vanilla elf model. Just look at them. They are atrocious and very low-poly

5.4 will bring in connected realms so most of the dead servers should have new life breathed into them.
Unfortunately it is seeming like connected realms will come after 5.4, which is rather unfortunate. I am on US-Eldre'Thalas and the server is a joke. The AH is barren, along with every other area. Even the Shrines have a handful of people in it at any given time.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Unfortunately it is seeming like connected realms will come after 5.4, which is rather unfortunate. I am on US-Eldre'Thalas and the server is a joke. The AH is barren, along with every other area. Even the Shrines have a handful of people in it at any given time.

You're still on there, eh?

Magnus

I know on principle it isn't right, but the $25 (or whatever) fee to server transfer is well worth it in this case. If you really love the game and want it rejuvenated for you, you just have to be on a busy server. It's totally transformed the game and breathed new life into it for me.

CassSept

The style fits WoW. To realistic and it will fail.

I think somewhere along TBC-MoP is perfect as far as design goes. WotLK was still great, but Cata seemed to try achieving more realistic style at times and I really disliked that. Generally Cata's art direction is the worst IMO.

You're still on there, eh?
Yeah, but I just resubbed after 8 months away.
I know on principle it isn't right, but the $25 (or whatever) fee to server transfer is well worth it in this case. If you really love the game and want it rejuvenated for you, you just have to be on a busy server. It's totally transformed the game and breathed new life into it for me.
My biggest problem is I came from US-Korgath (#10 in US servers). Really regretting that decision. Though ET is really really bad now. They have one very competitive guild on there, but that is all.

Even though I played Horde back in the day... can I kill Garrosh yet?

You could kill Garrosh since he was installed as Warchief. He isn't a killable raid boss until 5.4.

In other news my raiding days may be over. Guild can't muster more than 5 of its own consistently for ToT and we're stuck on Tortos because folks are too casual to really min-max their gearing/enchanting/gemming to do the necessary DPS to spinners. Doesn't bode well.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Yeah, but I just resubbed after 8 months away.

My biggest problem is I came from US-Korgath (#10 in US servers). Really regretting that decision. Though ET is really really bad now. They have one very competitive guild on there, but that is all.

If you're talking about the guild I think you're talking about ...

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Whenever people legitimately start quitting in droves, perhaps Blizzard will offer the "move all of your characters off this shithole realm for one fee" option.

Tarazet

I could be done raiding for now. Too much guild drama. Our guild master has underperformed, randomly AFK'ed, and not even showed up at various times since the beginning. Finally came to a head when one of our non-raiders brought his RDruid in, entered our normal rotation and performed really well, then threatened to jump ship to another guild if he didn't have a full-time spot for 5.4.

The upshot is that we spend our entire raid time wiping on the same couple of Heroic bosses, even though we pretty much all have full 530 gear, because we have this dumbass and a handful of other people who also die way too often. We have some brilliant players but we're not brilliant enough to overcome that, not on heroic content.

Ceebs

I could be done raiding for now. Too much guild drama. Our guild master has underperformed, randomly AFK'ed, and not even showed up at various times since the beginning. Finally came to a head when one of our non-raiders brought his RDruid in, entered our normal rotation and performed really well, then threatened to jump ship to another guild if he didn't have a full-time spot for 5.4.

The upshot is that we spend our entire raid time wiping on the same couple of Heroic bosses, even though we pretty much all have full 530 gear, because we have this dumbass and a handful of other people who also die way too often. We have some brilliant players but we're not brilliant enough to overcome that, not on heroic content.

A dumb raid leader is why I quit the last time. Ulduar had just launched and he insisted on at least an hour of attempts on the hard mode of each boss from the very first time we set foot in the raid. Everyone tried to tell him to let us farm it for a few weeks first, but no. We one shot almost every boss in there when doing it normally, but the hours of wipes on hard mode were too much for almost everyone except him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom