• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

vocab

A dumb raid leader is why I quit the last time. Ulduar had just launched and he insisted on at least an hour of attempts on the hard mode of each boss from the very first time we set foot in the raid. Everyone tried to tell him to let us farm it for a few weeks first, but no. We one shot almost every boss in there when doing it normally, but the hours of wipes on hard mode were too much for almost everyone except him.

LOL

Guys lets go to do heroic ToT before we clear it on normal. Idiot.

Ultratech

Went back in tonight and we one-shotted Horridon.

8cOS2qQ.jpg
(Ignore shitty picture quality.)

Ended up dying towards the end, but the rest of the group managed to kill Horridon right at the Enrage timer. Good stuff.

But then we got stuck on Council a bit, and ended up just leaving it at that.

Westlo

So Flex/Normal/Heroic Garrosh first chance of dropping a heirloom weapon is for your current spec and after that it's random. Does that mean my mage would get a staff say my second kill, and than on say the 5th I get a 2h axe I can just mail to my warrior?

I guess Flex/Normal/Heroic Garrosh is gonna get farmed a fuck load for those heirloom weapons for the rest of the game. And yeah these can't be 90+ only because GC said,

"The heirloom weapons are also intended to make Mists of Pandaria a little more alt friendly."

So they would have to work from 85+ for fit what he said.

But yeah I still see a lot of DS/Firelands/BWD/Ulduar/Lich King transmog/achieve raids on my server, I'm guessing Garrosh will be even more popular for this reason.

I guess Flex/Normal/Heroic Garrosh is gonna get farmed a fuck load for those heirloom weapons for the rest of the game. And yeah these can't be 90+ only because GC said,

"The heirloom weapons are also intended to make Mists of Pandaria a little more alt friendly."

So they would have to work from 85+ for fit what he said.

They don't have to work from 85 onwards to fit what he said. It's "alt friendly" to be able to send a iLvl 5xx weapon from your main to an alt that just recently hit 90. It makes the gear grind at max level significantly easier (especially since weapon is the biggest upgrade).

vocab said:
I'm lvling a monk. I'm gonna learn how to heal.

Most fun healing class I've played in a while. Especially in PvP.

Westlo

They don't have to work from 85 onwards to fit what he said. It's "alt friendly" to be able to send a iLvl 5xx weapon from your main to an alt that just recently hit 90. It makes the gear grind at max level significantly easier (especially since weapon is the biggest upgrade).

Oh yeah, I wasn't even thinking of the current 90 game.

Went back in tonight and we one-shotted Horridon.

(Ignore shitty picture quality.)

Ended up dying towards the end, but the rest of the group managed to kill Horridon right at the Enrage timer. Good stuff.

But then we got stuck on Council a bit, and ended up just leaving it at that.

The first Horridon kill is the sweetest thing. Fuck that encounter. We have it down to a science now and I STILL hate it for keeping us roadblocked for so long.

Once you get past Tortos, it's smooth sailing to Lei-Shen IMO. Durumu is only difficult if you don't have people who can't handle the maze (or your DPS isn't high enough).

Good luck!

mclem

The first Horridon kill is the sweetest thing. Fuck that encounter. We have it down to a science now and I STILL hate it for keeping us roadblocked for so long.

Once you get past Tortos, it's smooth sailing to Lei-Shen IMO. Durumu is only difficult if you don't have people who can't handle the maze (or your DPS isn't high enough).

I think the DPS requirements on Durumu might be a little overtuned, certainly compared to the bosses around him. Or maybe the life drain could afford to be a little more forgiving (we always stumble a bit on the life drain + beams bit)

We don't have Lei Shen down yet, but he's close - and at least currently, we chalked up more wipes on Tortos than we have on him. No problem with Tortos these days, but when learning it was kinda brutal.

Speaking of which, this week's been awful. Natural summer lull has hit meaning that we haven't been able to run optimised groups. Wednesday was actually brilliant, we got up to Durumu that day - the furthest we've got in the first raid day of the week - but couldn't down him. Thursday, though, that was awful. First half of the raid, wiped constantly on Durumu, finally scraping a kill when another DPS came online at the break and we could sub him in. Second half, wiped constantly on Primordius, a fight which we have *never* had problems before. More wipes on Primordius on Thursday than on previous raid put together.

I think it was an issue of controlled DPS, and not having our warlock around to dot everything like crazy and keep the quantities of slimes under control, but I'm not sure.

Monday simply didn't have a full raid available at the start - again, I knew people would be available later - so we tinkered around in LFR a bit for the benefit of the low-geared alts while waiting for new folks to appear. Shortly before the scheduled break, a few folks came online, and being slightly brave, we dived in to ToT with just two healers rather than our usual three.

It was, frankly, revelationary. Primordius was still a bit wonky, and we had the traditional couple of wipes on Dark Animus while we got folks up to speed with the unusual pace of the fight - but Iron Qon was a fairly easy two-shot, Twin Consorts was as simple as it always is - and in the final half hour we had for Lei Shen, our last go did the best it's ever done, getting him to 12%. We're so close! With two-healing we can probably afford to move the heroism from the second phase to the final phase, and that could make the difference.

I just hope we have a raid group present tonight!

cdyhybrid

We managed to down H Iron Qon on our first day of attempts, about 3 hours total. 5/13 now. Council next. I enjoy 10 man raiding a bit more than 25, I think. A lot less shit flying around the screen, so it's easier to keep track of what's going on around you.

Bizazedo

We managed to down H Iron Qon on our first day of attempts, about 3 hours total. 5/13 now. Council next. I enjoy 10 man raiding a bit more than 25, I think. A lot less shit flying around the screen, so it's easier to keep track of what's going on around you.

Yeah, our guys got Heroic Iron Qon down last night as well. I begged off, was / still am sick. Was after a decent amount of time wiping to Heroic Dark Animus, so I'm okay with it though.

Heroic Durumu is a lot more fun than I thought it would be, though, and satisfying when you bring it down.

TimeKillr

I think the DPS requirements on Durumu might be a little overtuned, certainly compared to the bosses around him. Or maybe the life drain could afford to be a little more forgiving (we always stumble a bit on the life drain + beams bit)

We don't have Lei Shen down yet, but he's close - and at least currently, we chalked up more wipes on Tortos than we have on him. No problem with Tortos these days, but when learning it was kinda brutal.

Speaking of which, this week's been awful. Natural summer lull has hit meaning that we haven't been able to run optimised groups. Wednesday was actually brilliant, we got up to Durumu that day - the furthest we've got in the first raid day of the week - but couldn't down him. Thursday, though, that was awful. First half of the raid, wiped constantly on Durumu, finally scraping a kill when another DPS came online at the break and we could sub him in. Second half, wiped constantly on Primordius, a fight which we have *never* had problems before. More wipes on Primordius on Thursday than on previous raid put together.

I think it was an issue of controlled DPS, and not having our warlock around to dot everything like crazy and keep the quantities of slimes under control, but I'm not sure.

Monday simply didn't have a full raid available at the start - again, I knew people would be available later - so we tinkered around in LFR a bit for the benefit of the low-geared alts while waiting for new folks to appear. Shortly before the scheduled break, a few folks came online, and being slightly brave, we dived in to ToT with just two healers rather than our usual three.

It was, frankly, revelationary. Primordius was still a bit wonky, and we had the traditional couple of wipes on Dark Animus while we got folks up to speed with the unusual pace of the fight - but Iron Qon was a fairly easy two-shot, Twin Consorts was as simple as it always is - and in the final half hour we had for Lei Shen, our last go did the best it's ever done, getting him to 12%. We're so close! With two-healing we can probably afford to move the heroism from the second phase to the final phase, and that could make the difference.

I just hope we have a raid group present tonight!

The trick we found to Primordius is just to constantly kite him. Like WAAAY more than what you'd think. It really helps because it gives DPS a chance to kill the slimes as they're reaching him, which slows down his evolutions. Once we figured that out, it was a 1-shot and it's a 1-shot every time.

Durumu is a POS because of his Life Drain, really. The rest of the fight is cake - the maze is really easy, and you just need to be able to see a bit and you're good.

We 3-heal Lei Shen now, and we downed him last week. Our average DPS was around 115k, which really wasn't bad, and it's really a pretty easy fight once you control everything. It's simply not a fight where you can just go balls to the walls - you have to control when you push him into the intermissions so it's safe (especially intermission 2 where if you push him while lightning orbs are up you're essentially dead) and destroying the right conducts (we decided to get rid of chain lightning first as it lets us be grouped for intermission 2, which helps immensely).

As you said, I think ToT is badly tuned for 10man. Horridon is too difficult until you figure out the trick (which is absolutely stupid - tank Horridon at the far end of the arena, opposite the door you're doing, and you essentially remove the charge), Tortos is a little bit too tight, Council requires a trick otherwise it's stupidly hard... It's just a weird raid and the balancing is off. The last few bosses being so easy (once you're past Durumu it's smooth sailing up to Lei Shen - they're all RIDICULOUSLY easy) is just mind-boggling, and it's obvious that they decided at some point that having so much trash between bosses was stupid, so there's very little packs between the bosses after Durumu. The gauntlet leading to Primordius isn't too bad, the pull before Dark Animus is harder than the fight itself (lol) but there's a SINGLE pull... Then you compare that to the absolutely absurd amount of mobs between Jin'Rokh and Horridon, then Horridon and Council, Tortos and Mag, Mag and Ji'Kun, etc. It's just... dumb.

Unfortunately it is seeming like connected realms will come after 5.4, which is rather unfortunate. I am on US-Eldre'Thalas and the server is a joke. The AH is barren, along with every other area. Even the Shrines have a handful of people in it at any given time.

Whats your toon/s name there? I'm still stuck on this crappy server as well but at $75 to move my 3 toons off... yeah, that ain't happening and I can't leave one without impacting my gold making.

My biggest problem is I came from US-Korgath (#10 in US servers). Really regretting that decision. Though ET is really really bad now. They have one very competitive guild on there, but that is all.

Yeah, I used to be in two of the raiding guilds on the server and they both disbanded months ago, so I ended up in a holding guild. Not sure what I'm going to do but for raiding purposes, ET is dead and has been for some time. Even several pf the top raiding Horde guilds left. Only reason Apotheosis survived is cause they faction changed to Ally to pick up replacements for those who left.

:(

Eh, guess I'll work on my legendary clock for my toons, nothing else to do.

I PM'd you my Battle.net login.

What guilds were you in before? And what guild are you in now?

Currently my Shaman and Warrior are in Defenders of the Pass. Nice bunch of people, mainly do older instances and LFR. My mage is solo, Ieft him on ice while i tended to my others and finally made the switch to frost spec and have been gearing him like crazy.

Can't remember the name of the previous guild, they've been long gone.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Is the Wrathion's quest chain (to get the legendary cloak) still doable?
Of course, though it's probably gonna be a while to get the cloaks if you haven't started on the quest chain yet. It'll be easier to obtain the required materials though in 5.4.

Wrathion's Legendary Questline
  • All bosses in Throne of Thunder now have a chance to drop Sigil of Power or Sigil of Wisdom in addition to their normal loot for players on the appropriate step in the legendary questline. Players should also no longer be receiving excess Sigils of Power or Sigils of Wisdom.
  • The first eight bosses in Siege of Orgrimmar have a chance to drop a Sigil of Power, Sigil of Wisdom, Secrets of the Empire, or Titan Runestone in addition to their normal loot for players on the appropriate step in the legendary questline.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/10158897/54_PTR_Patch_Notes_-_August_7-8_7_2013

Tamanon

Banned
Is the Wrathion's quest chain (to get the legendary cloak) still doable?

You'll want to at least do it before the expansion ends. People are still running all the raids and LFRs required for it. 5.4 will make it so everything drops in Siege of Orgrimmar though, which'll be nice.

Willectro

Banned
You'll want to at least do it before the expansion ends. People are still running all the raids and LFRs required for it. 5.4 will make it so everything drops in Siege of Orgrimmar though, which'll be nice.

Thanks for the replies. I know it's anyone's guess, but has there been any speculation regarding when the next expansion will be released? Or is that something that will likely be revealed at Blizzcon?

I've been on a long WoW hiatus and am debating playing again.

Tamanon

Banned
It'll be revealed at Blizzcon most likely, although Gamescom is a possibility. Apparently they just registered "The Dark Below"

Demons and Sorcerors, let's do this.

From the 2003 Manual of Monsters for the Warcraft RPG? I'm willing to bet that's just an off the cuff Diablo universe reference/tie-in that was thrown in for funsies. My money's still on D3 for this name, heh.

Naka

I think it's WoW related.

Check out http://wowpedia.org/Ozumat and his title: <Fiend of the Dark Below>

Also, not as specific but read Ra-Den's defeated text:
Wait! I am... I am not your enemy. You are powerful, more powerful than he was, even... perhaps you are right. Perhaps there is still hope. But there is a yawning chasm of darkness beneath you mortals, vast, endless, and all consuming. I do not believe that you can correct this doomed course. But you have earned the right to try. Farewell.
http://wowpedia.org/Ra-den

Even better would be tying Karazhan into it as well. Bout time we get that inverted tower ;)
Kara is, hands-down, my favorite instance ever. So many awesome memories, so many awesome boss fights. I'm not too big on the lore, but how could it be tied into a new expansion, outside of simply being a redone instance ala Naxx in Wrath?

mclem

The trick we found to Primordius is just to constantly kite him. Like WAAAY more than what you'd think. It really helps because it gives DPS a chance to kill the slimes as they're reaching him, which slows down his evolutions. Once we figured that out, it was a 1-shot and it's a 1-shot every time.

That's what we do, what we've always done. For some reason, on Thursday, it just Didn't Work. My theory, as I said, is lack of DPS, but it was a surprise, given how easy we've found the fight in the past.

Durumu is a POS because of his Life Drain, really. The rest of the fight is cake - the maze is really easy, and you just need to be able to see a bit and you're good.
I think the reasons we had difficulty with it in the past was that it's a very reaction-based fight; there's quite a few mechanics that you need to get out from / react correctly to immediately. It's perhaps the first fight in ToT where one person out of the entire raid can screw it up for everyone; in all previous ones I can think of, there's quite a few roles where you can put the couple of members who tend to Screw Things Up to minimise the damage they can inflict; on Durumu, though, there's nowhere for them to hide; if they get beamed, they need to handle it right. If they get knocked off the edge or screw up the maze, your DPS is severely damaged and, as I mentioned before, DPS timers on the fight are tight.

We 3-heal Lei Shen now, and we downed him last week. Our average DPS was around 115k, which really wasn't bad, and it's really a pretty easy fight once you control everything. It's simply not a fight where you can just go balls to the walls - you have to control when you push him into the intermissions so it's safe (especially intermission 2 where if you push him while lightning orbs are up you're essentially dead) and destroying the right conducts (we decided to get rid of chain lightning first as it lets us be grouped for intermission 2, which helps immensely).

We've had orbs on the intermission and it hasn't proved *too* bad, actually. Possibly due to the fact that we're extremely careful with positioning in the last stages of phase 2, meaning that when the intermission starts only the tanks need to move. It's just a case of getting control on P3 and then we'll get the kill.

As you said, I think ToT is badly tuned for 10man. Horridon is too difficult until you figure out the trick (which is absolutely stupid - tank Horridon at the far end of the arena, opposite the door you're doing, and you essentially remove the charge),
We never really found *that* to be the problem on Horridon; for us the difficulty lay with the second door (venom bolt volley out of control) and the third (untankable adds requiring good raid discipline to keep them grouped. Charge didn't really figure as a stumbling block for us.

Tortos is a little bit too tight,

My only real complaint for Tortos is the fact that the kicker needs to take into account time-to-impact for the shells - that caused us quite a few early wipes. I'd be happier if there was a way to train that skill independently of the raid environment.

It's just a weird raid and the balancing is off. The last few bosses being so easy (once you're past Durumu it's smooth sailing up to Lei Shen - they're all RIDICULOUSLY easy) is just mind-boggling,

One thing I *like* about the raid design is that there's a very clear story progression to it; the front lines are the Zandalari defending themselves, then you detour into the caverns and have to deal with the indigenous life, then you enter the regions where dark experiments are taking place, before finally finishing up in the Mogu palace.

Unfortunately, that means they couldn't really reorder the bosses into a better-paced order, given each one has plot reasons for existing where it does!

(That said, one thing I notice has sort of gone out of the window - or if you like, it's still there, but done to a ludicrous extreme: I'm sure I recall blues talking about the idea of 'reward bosses', fairly easy challenges deliberately placed after tough fights to allow a slightly less stressful section to reward the players for progressing past the challenging bit. Either they've stopped doing that, or they think that three challenging bosses followed by a reward of two easy ones, followed by one challenging boss then a reward of four easy ones is a good approach!)

and it's obvious that they decided at some point that having so much trash between bosses was stupid, so there's very little packs between the bosses after Durumu. The gauntlet leading to Primordius isn't too bad, the pull before Dark Animus is harder than the fight itself (lol) but there's a SINGLE pull... Then you compare that to the absolutely absurd amount of mobs between Jin'Rokh and Horridon, then Horridon and Council, Tortos and Mag, Mag and Ji'Kun, etc. It's just... dumb.
At least Council -> Tortos isn't that bad!

One week we got to Megaera and then the serves crapped out on us - no-one could get off a loading screen, meaning nine of us were in the raid and no-one could join or leave us.. To kill time while we waited to see if the servers woke up, we cleared the entirety of Megaera's room. NEVER AGAIN.

Berordn

Oh, cool, that would match the whole burning legion returning, from what wrathion talks about. Nice find.

The "Dark Below" as it's been hinted at in WoW, is more closely related to Azshara and Old Gods than demons, though the remains of the Tomb of Sargeras may be involved.

RPGCrazied

I think it's WoW related.

Check out http://wowpedia.org/Ozumat and his title: <Fiend of the Dark Below>

Also, not as specific but read Ra-Den's defeated text:
Wait! I am... I am not your enemy. You are powerful, more powerful than he was, even... perhaps you are right. Perhaps there is still hope. But there is a yawning chasm of darkness beneath you mortals, vast, endless, and all consuming. I do not believe that you can correct this doomed course. But you have earned the right to try. Farewell.
http://wowpedia.org/Ra-den

Nice. That means we finally get to go after Queen Azshara? Hope that is true. That means we will get even more underwater zones? Perfect time to add playable Naga as well.

Kara is, hands-down, my favorite instance ever. So many awesome memories, so many awesome boss fights. I'm not too big on the lore, but how could it be tied into a new expansion, outside of simply being a redone instance ala Naxx in Wrath?

Karazhan came to be due to Medivh. Medivh was corrupted in his mother's womb by Sargeras. Sargeras is the leader of the Burning Legion. So when Medivh died the part of Sargera that possessed Medivh left him however we never found where it went. It was speculated that Medivh never even came to Azeroth yet and his time is due to pay the world a visit.

Sargeras -> Medivh -> Bring Sargeras's ass to Azeroth.

Every really wants another clash with the burning legion and a true one, especially against Sergeras, since he's the stuff of legends. That and well if Blizzard truely wants to send WoW off with a bang when it eventually goes offline we would need to have battled Sergeras so we can finally get to the Old Gods.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?

We know from The Last Guardian that the Inverted Tower was basically filled with demons, and medivh's secret chambers at the very bottom of the inverted tower. Not hard to put some stuff together for that.

I could also see blizzard doing it just by virtue of how well loved Karazhan is, not to mention the lore is already there for it. Lower Kara while having a similar (albeit somewhat upside down) layout, could be pretty vastly different otherwise.

cdyhybrid

New cosmetic set for Shamans only.

This gonna be mine.

That is SUPER dope. Where do you get that?

Also sounds like The Dark Below would be an Old God expansion, maybe we'll get to kill Azshara on the way? That would take out the only other big villains, setting up for the (final?) expansion after The Dark Below where the Legion returns and we fight Sargeras.

Berordn

That is SUPER dope. Where do you get that?

Also sounds like The Dark Below would be an Old God expansion, maybe we'll get to kill Azshara on the way? That would take out the only other big villains, setting up for the (final?) expansion after The Dark Below where the Legion returns and we fight Sargeras.

Except the more we find out about the Legion and the Pantheon, the more it sounds like both are at fault.

We're not stopping until we kill all the gods.

CassSept

It does sound very much D3-related, but as outlined above it can be tied to Burning Legion and/or Azshara. Azshara is long overdue by now and they were building up to Legion's return this past expansion. Maybe Azshara is messing with Sargeras again? Maybe she is the key to awakening Sargeras? Maybe Neptulon will play some part (hell, this is an elemental lord that is imprisoned by the naga, with no further development over the past 3 years!).

And as I said before in these two posts before, I am inclined to believe they might release first info on the expansion next week due to schedule. Time-wise this is far more pressing than D3 expansion.

Except the more we find out about the Legion and the Pantheon, the more it sounds like both are at fault.

We're not stopping until we kill all the gods.

See, that's the thing. There's so much lore that Blizzard hasn't touched on yet. We know there's 4-5 old gods still imprisoned under the world. So why haven't we gone and done any yet? I rather that we fight them instead of playing with MoP.

I wanna fight some old gods~!

It does sound very much D3-related, but as outlined above it can be tied to Burning Legion and/or Azshara. Azshara is long overdue by now and they were building up to Legion's return this past expansion. Maybe Azshara is messing with Sargeras again? Maybe she is the key to awakening Sargeras? Maybe Neptulon will play some part (hell, this is an elemental lord that is imprisoned by the naga, with no further development over the past 3 years!).

And as I said before in these two posts before, I am inclined to believe they might release first info on the expansion next week due to schedule. Time-wise this is far more pressing than D3 expansion.

Season 13 is ending August 27th (two week warning was just given out), so 5.4 is going to be released on that date. We'll know the warchief by then.

Berordn

See, that's the thing. There's so much lore that Blizzard hasn't touched on yet. We know there's 4-5 old gods still imprisoned under the world. So why haven't we gone and done any yet? I rather that we fight them instead of playing with MoP.

I wanna fight some old gods~!

But MoP is all about the old gods. They're much much better when they're mysterious forces working behind the scenes a la Yogg-Saron and Y'shaarj than direct adversaries like N'zoth.

CassSept

But MoP is all about the old gods. They're much much better when they're mysterious forces working behind the scenes a la Yogg-Saron and Y'shaarj than direct adversaries like N'zoth.

Going by datamined whispers it also seems that Y'shaarj is way more toned down like C'thun compared to their more bombastic cousins (BOW DOWN BEFORE THE GOD OF DEATH).

4-5 Old Gods more sounds too high , but at the very least we still have N'zoth lurking somewhere. After that, well, WoW lore is quite flexible :) Past N'zoth there is still at least one unnamed Old God, but current sources would indicate he is dead-dead (though is possibly still maintaining some grip on the land, much like Y'shaarj).

TimeKillr

That's what we do, what we've always done. For some reason, on Thursday, it just Didn't Work. My theory, as I said, is lack of DPS, but it was a surprise, given how easy we've found the fight in the past.

Sometimes there's issues with the mutations being stacked in a shitty order that makes them harder, too.

I think the reasons we had difficulty with it in the past was that it's a very reaction-based fight; there's quite a few mechanics that you need to get out from / react correctly to immediately. It's perhaps the first fight in ToT where one person out of the entire raid can screw it up for everyone; in all previous ones I can think of, there's quite a few roles where you can put the couple of members who tend to Screw Things Up to minimise the damage they can inflict; on Durumu, though, there's nowhere for them to hide; if they get beamed, they need to handle it right. If they get knocked off the edge or screw up the maze, your DPS is severely damaged and, as I mentioned before, DPS timers on the fight are tight.

Yeah, that's certainly part of Durumu's problem. If even one of your raid members is weak, it's a roadblock. And yeah it's DPS requirement is high, especially if you're not good in controlling the life drains.

We've had orbs on the intermission and it hasn't proved *too* bad, actually. Possibly due to the fact that we're extremely careful with positioning in the last stages of phase 2, meaning that when the intermission starts only the tanks need to move. It's just a case of getting control on P3 and then we'll get the kill.

You spread out before the 2nd intermission? The way we do it is everyone stacks on the tanks so the orbs are stupidly easy to handle. Makes everything so much easier.

We never really found *that* to be the problem on Horridon; for us the difficulty lay with the second door (venom bolt volley out of control) and the third (untankable adds requiring good raid discipline to keep them grouped. Charge didn't really figure as a stumbling block for us.

It's not that the charge is difficult, it's that it interferes with interrupting the venom bolts and such. It forces raid members to move when they are tunneling DPS on mobs. That's why it makes it easier, really.

And I have to constantly interrupt the bolts, because DPS can't ever be trusted to interrupt!

My only real complaint for Tortos is the fact that the kicker needs to take into account time-to-impact for the shells - that caused us quite a few early wipes. I'd be happier if there was a way to train that skill independently of the raid environment.

We have our lock who calls herself the "kicking bitch" who handles that task so beautifully the fight has ceased to be any sort of problem :)

One thing I *like* about the raid design is that there's a very clear story progression to it; the front lines are the Zandalari defending themselves, then you detour into the caverns and have to deal with the indigenous life, then you enter the regions where dark experiments are taking place, before finally finishing up in the Mogu palace.

Unfortunately, that means they couldn't really reorder the bosses into a better-paced order, given each one has plot reasons for existing where it does!

I really do like the sense of progression into the raid, too. It makes it more.. story-based? I don't know. But it *is* very interesting because you do feel like you're progressing through a massive dungeon (as opposed to, say, stuff like Firelands where it was just one massive non-linear area).

(That said, one thing I notice has sort of gone out of the window - or if you like, it's still there, but done to a ludicrous extreme: I'm sure I recall blues talking about the idea of 'reward bosses', fairly easy challenges deliberately placed after tough fights to allow a slightly less stressful section to reward the players for progressing past the challenging bit. Either they've stopped doing that, or they think that three challenging bosses followed by a reward of two easy ones, followed by one challenging boss then a reward of four easy ones is a good approach!)

I don't remember that blue post, but it makes some sort of sense.. Although it's still busted in this raid (in 10m anyway). 25m is apparently so much easier for ToT... But nobody does 25m. I think they might have done this on purpose to encourage 25m raiding, which is kinda dying.

At least Council -> Tortos isn't that bad!

One week we got to Megaera and then the serves crapped out on us - no-one could get off a loading screen, meaning nine of us were in the raid and no-one could join or leave us.. To kill time while we waited to see if the servers woke up, we cleared the entirety of Megaera's room. NEVER AGAIN.

Oh god. Killing all of that room must be absolute murder.

That's one part of raid design I never liked. I understand having skippable mobs, but having a HUGE room where the challenge is navigating around the mobs is just incredibly boring, imo.

scoobs

Oh wow this makes total sense, what a neat idea.... a world BELOW azeroth. I was wondering where they'd find room to put new land masses and stuff. I guess this is why I'm not a game designer, I didn't even consider a world underneath the world. NEATO!

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I really love the ambience of Vashj'ir, but i hope that if the next expansion is Naga focused, that it wont be all of that. Water and swimming everywhere. But I know Blizzard isn't stupid enough to do that, they're aware that players had mixed feelings about Vashj'ir.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom