• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenai

Ah thanks for the info. Feels like I started the game too late, seeing all the 90s running around (and killing me when I try to quest, stupid PvP server) and all the flying mounts everywhere. ;__;

You can do the random for lowbie dungeons at 15, but that's different from raid finder. Those give quite good exp since they are so easy to run through and almost all of them have quest givers that one run through will complete, but i would quest in-between dungeons until the next one is available. The exp from dungeon finder drops a lot if there's not quests supplementing it.

Heirlooms are great too but the only way to get those without a max lvl toon is through guild rep. That is pretty easy to get but those might be pretty expensive for someone with no max lvls to earn money with.

Fjordson

This is probably the most insane direct upgrade I've ever experienced.

17klncY.png
What's that stat summary for items mod??

Jag

Well this article is timely for me. Although some of their 'ways' are post patch, so it's not really right now.

Six Ways to Gear Up right now

Got the 502 boots today. Got a 496 helm off Galleon yesterday (of course I had my eng helm already) and nothing from Oon, Sha or Nalak. Started Shado Pan Assault, did the starter and the weekly Champion and I'm at 880/3000 which means a long slog until I can gear high enough for ToT.

It's amazing how easily I fall right back into it after such a long absence. I guess playing since release just burned it into me.

Bizazedo

Got the 502 boots today. Got a 496 helm off Galleon yesterday (of course I had my eng helm already) and nothing from Oon, Sha or Nalak. Started Shado Pan Assault, did the starter and the weekly Champion and I'm at 880/3000 which means a long slog until I can gear high enough for ToT.

Naw. PvP a bit. You'll be in ToT in no time.

Do you have some gold?

Jag

Do you have some gold?

Yeah, I posted on the last page. I have max honor/max VP/some JP and probably about 30k gold, although I don't want to spend gold on stuff that I will out grow fast. I have alts to feed!

Tacitus_

This is true. I went to ToT LFR on my shaman in the same reset I dinged since I did a load of PVP with her. Just don't do it if you intend to tank. I managed to heal somewhat fine but I wouldn't exactly recommend going in full PVP gear like I did.

Yeah, I posted on the last page. I have max honor/max VP/some JP and probably about 30k gold, although I don't want to spend gold on stuff that I will out grow fast. I have alts to feed!

Get the Shado Pan Assault neck, grind dailies for the free belt from your Isle of Thunder (couple days) and get the right items for your spec from this list: http://www.wowhead.com/item=80433#reagent-for

You should get reasonably close to the ToT LFR level and the crafted gear is only slightly worse than what drops there.

CassSept

Someone shoot me. Panda archeo grind has made me insane. I have all the Collector achievements and still need 2 pristine solves from seperate schools. Hell I broke 35 Edicts of the Thunder King and still nothing ;_;

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Someone shoot me. Panda archeo grind has made me insane. I have all the Collector achievements and still need 2 pristine solves from seperate schools. Hell I broke 35 Edicts of the Thunder King and still nothing ;_;

You and me both. I think I'm on 32 or 33 Pandaren Tea Set solves and still nothing ;_;

I am not sure if is a bad spanish translation by Blizzard but I found one homosexual pandaren questgiver on the golden lotus daily rep missions. he always reffers himself as a she in the missions description, he is sitting near of the lake on the second part of dailies.

Am I correct in assuming that the quickest way to level to 90 is to use the Random Dungeon Finder, then the Raid Finder option? Gives pretty good experience. Also, someone mentioned something about heirlooms, but I've no clue what they are/do/where to get them. Any help for a newbie? :D

I leveled up one char with only Dungeon finders and another with quests, quests are the best for leveling up.

Dungeon finder is the best for 85 to 86 then go questing till 88 then go to do specific dungeon to do theirs missions then return to leveling to 89 and go for the mantid questline to reach 90.

Doing dungeon finder alone grants you good exp till 87 then it gives you poor experience, 210k exp i think but you invest a certain bunch of time compared to quests that it always gives you 141k to 170k exp per mission in short time.

Blue Proto-Drake is a myth :(

Weren't you someone that posted about having 180ish mounts? I thought you only had a couple less than me when you posted at the time. Maybe I'm thinking of someone else. Surprises me that you're trying for this if you have that many mounts.

On that note I guess I'll mention that I'm up to around 72 Vortex Pinnacle attempts without that Drake dropping yet. And I've now found ten or eleven wrong Mysterious Camel Statues. I'm also now just around 70k gold so not too much more to get that 108k Grand Expedition Yak (as long as I don't buy any other mounts that pop up in the AH that interest me).

I'll probably work more on dino bones/primal eggs tonight and/or tomorrow. And pretty soon I should finish up Alani. Oh gosh, I haven't read anything about it but if they took Alani away with 5.4 that'd be pretty bad. I might grind that out this week just in case.

cdyhybrid

Fuuck, grats man. I've been doing that run for a few weeks now. Awesome mount.

Thanks!

Weren't you someone that posted about having 180ish mounts? I thought you only had a couple less than me when you posted at the time. Maybe I'm thinking of someone else. Surprises me that you're trying for this if you have that many mounts.

On that note I guess I'll mention that I'm up to around 72 Vortex Pinnacle attempts without that Drake dropping yet. And I've now found ten or eleven wrong Mysterious Camel Statues. I'm also now just around 70k gold so not too much more to get that 108k Grand Expedition Yak (as long as I don't buy any other mounts that pop up in the AH that interest me).

I'll probably work more on dino bones/primal eggs tonight and/or tomorrow. And pretty soon I should finish up Alani. Oh gosh, I haven't read anything about it but if they took Alani away with 5.4 that'd be pretty bad. I might grind that out this week just in case.

Not I, only at 116ish at the moment.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?

Alani is still in in 5.4

The downside is, one of the highest chances to get Skyshards was from "Treasures of the Vale" at the end of each days chain. I think it was something like 5%? And with the dailies being gone that will make it just that much harder.

Richardbro

Neo Member

Don't forget the free 502 boots from the 5.3 quest line :)

You can start it by visiting Lorewalker Cho above Mogu'shan Palace.

I got my blue proto right after I got my ony drake. Felt so good to kill Ony, get the drake, then head over to Northrend and get that drake as well, all under an hour.

Yeah, there's always the weird offshoots just due to random drop chances.

Alani is still in in 5.4

The downside is, one of the highest chances to get Skyshards was from "Treasures of the Vale" at the end of each days chain. I think it was something like 5%? And with the dailies being gone that will make it just that much harder.

While I do the dailies most days recently mainly to get a chance for that Treasures of the Vale skyshard I think the best method that's more monotonous is to kill the sprites en masse. I've only had one sky shard drop at the end of the dailies and five from drops (four were actually just dropped while doing dailies, one for killing sprites for an hour). I'll likely just kill tons of sprites soon to finish it up.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Yeah, there's always the weird offshoots just due to random drop chances.

While I do the dailies most days recently mainly to get a chance for that Treasures of the Vale skyshard I think the best method that's more monotonous is to kill the sprites en masse. I've only had one sky shard drop at the end of the dailies and five from drops (four were actually just dropped while doing dailies, one for killing sprites for an hour). I'll likely just kill tons of sprites soon to finish it up.

Three of my 9 have been from treasures. Never gotten one from a sprite hahaha.

Westlo

I leveled up one char with only Dungeon finders and another with quests, quests are the best for leveling up.

Dungeon finder is the best for 85 to 86 then go questing till 88 then go to do specific dungeon to do theirs missions then return to leveling to 89 and go for the mantid questline to reach 90.

Doing dungeon finder alone grants you good exp till 87 then it gives you poor experience, 210k exp i think but you invest a certain bunch of time compared to quests that it always gives you 141k to 170k exp per mission in short time.

Monkey runs are the way to go from 85 onwards... And if your server is med/small and not running them now, they will be after they merge.

mclem

As an aside: The RNG is taking the piss out of my cotank. On our very first run, I got the weapon from Jin'rokh; it didn't drop again for weeks on end. Finally, this week, it dropped for him.

I then used a Mogu Rune of Fate, and got the same weapon - Thunderforged.

He was livid.
The saga continues:

Recently got my legendary meta gem, so I've been on the lookout for a new helmet (didn't think it was really worth putting it into Garalon's Skull). Horridon dies, no helmet in the drops, roll for bonus loot, helmet. Thunderforged.

I really feel sorry for my cotank. He's furious at the situation, wants to vent, but is completely aware it's not my fault I've been so fortunate. It's just this tier; I had terrible luck in T14. I guess this is karma catching up with me, or something.

We got our second Lei Shen kill, our first with that cotank (he missed last week's, unfortunately). He was pleased to get the kill (and remarkably painlessly!)... then I rolled. Shield. Thunderforged.

I think my cotank is actually contemplating murder. I'm not sure if it's for me, or for the RNG gods.

Just so I'm clear, they're not introducing new VP-purchased epics with 5.4 right? All the 'catch up' gear is now ground out in Timeless Isle with rares and quests?

Ultratech

ZMdE4Kf.jpg

Aww yeah.

Ran Malygos on my DK and had the Azure Drake drop, so now I got both of 'em. :D

Monkey runs are the way to go from 85 onwards... And if your server is med/small and not running them now, they will be after they merge.

I thought Monkey Runs got nerfed?

Eiolon

I've been doing the "Higher Learning" achievement and stuck on one book in the Dalaran Visitor Center for the last 3 days. 4 hour spawn times and each time the book is a fake book that spawns. I have set my alarm every 4 hours to login and check. But alas I have to go back to work tomorrow so I bet it will spawn then.

For the time being, anyway. We'll see how quickly they flip on that come 5.5.

Just need to know if I should spend any energy capping out VP on my main, he'd need 1700, most of it tonight, to really maximize. If not then I can just take it easy till patch day. Looks like I can just take a break.

JCizzle

If anyone hears of a flex raiding guild or group running US (EST) horde once 5.4 hits, please let me know. I haven't raided outside of LFR since ICC 10 and really miss that type of experience. Not looking for anything overly serious, play to have fun and all that without feeling bad if I need to miss a few due to real life shit. Enhance shammy.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
What's the deal with geared players doing 180K DPS and everyone else doing like 90K? Is it some kind of really absurd scaling? I mean, I'm not the best player in the world, but I know enough of what I'm doing to be at least hanging with the really good players in terms of raw DPS, but I'm not even close right now.

Westlo

What's the deal with geared players doing 180K DPS and everyone else doing like 90K? Is it some kind of really absurd scaling? I mean, I'm not the best player in the world, but I know enough of what I'm doing to be at least hanging with the really good players in terms of raw DPS, but I'm not even close right now.

legendary meta gem and cloak that much of a difference when combined with say another 20 ilevels?

Westlo

Its not that easy, considering how the players react seeing a tank with dps pvp gear even on LFR.
But nevermind I will get the PVP rings at least

I dps'd in holy spec on my paladin to get healing gear in HOF/Terrance (Tot just came out) and barely got called out lol.

Kuntz

BMAH is a great way to get gear if you got the money.
Bought 2 235 heroic items for like 22k each.

Also added to the spreadsheet, I'd love to play with gaffers.

CassSept

Alani is still in in 5.4

"Highest chances" ;_; You guys are so lucky, I got ONE Skyshard while grinding Golden Lotus to exalted with dailies. I also got a second one somewhere randomly after the grind while trying to get Vale achievements. It's ridiculous.

I've been doing the "Higher Learning" achievement and stuck on one book in the Dalaran Visitor Center for the last 3 days. 4 hour spawn times and each time the book is a fake book that spawns. I have set my alarm every 4 hours to login and check. But alas I have to go back to work tomorrow so I bet it will spawn then.

Hah, I had the same but with a different book. When I resumed my camping for books (I had already gotten 3 back in WotLK but it was obviously harder back then so I never finished it) I got Visitor Center book on the first day, but had to wait a couple of days for the on on the balcony of Threads of Fate. I saw nearly 10 fakes spawn there, maybe more.

It was always like that but perhaps it's most noticeable with numbers of that magnitude. Percentage wise, if we compare usual dps scaling in the past and add legendary meta into the equation it's no wonder people around ilvl 490 are doing 90k dps while ilvl 530 is reaching 180k. Double dps between characters seperated by 40 ilvl is nothing new. Honestly, "geared players" (ilvl 550) are already breaking 250k so there's that.

cdyhybrid

Its not that easy, considering how the players react seeing a tank with dps pvp gear even on LFR.
But nevermind I will get the PVP rings at least

You don't need to queue as a tank. You can get a set of DPS gear, queue as DPS, and set your loot spec to Tank, so you'll be DPSing but you'll get tank loot.

Tacitus_

legendary meta gem and cloak that much of a difference when combined with say another 20 ilevels?

The legendary meta gem adds like 10k DPS alone. That + RPPM trinkets can make you pop ridiculous numbers if you get lucky. I did almost 300k when I got extremely lucky with my procs.

cdyhybrid

Getting really frustrated trying to gear up my Warlock. Nothing ever drops in LFR and we end up DEing 75% of the shit that drops in our actual raid, never mind the percentage of stuff that doesn't get DE'd but I can't use/don't need. I've got some bullshit mix of 483, 502, and 522 gear that probably doesn't even let me get into SoO LFR. I wanted to be fully switched over to this character when the new patch hit, but at this rate it'll take me at least another month to even get up to acceptable ToT progression gear levels, never mind the new raid.

Nice. If you see a Panda Monk named Jellyfist, that's what I'm currently leveling.

All this mount talk here has me pretty jealous. I really want to get to 100+ but it seems so daunting.

Reaching 100 really isn't all that bad at this point. I imagine a lot of that can come from some fairly easily rep grinding (champion factions by wearing their tabards in current heroics). There's also some 100% drops that can be soloed or done with one other person such as Bronze Drake and the two in Obsidium Sanctum. Get in the habit of running the earlier dungeons, heroics, and raids that can be soloed as well and you'll get more. Three easy ones in AQ40 for three of the bug mounts. If your goal is mainly to cross the 100 threshold it's not all that bad.

Some of the rep grinds are a bit ugly/annoying. I hated Netherwing and most people really dislike Sha'tari Skyguard (I think that one's pretty quick and easy). Oh, and the talbuks are a pretty easy three-ish hour grind on the ogres for that set of mounts. Put these together with all the capital city factions and you'll be most of the way there.

Edit:
Getting really frustrated trying to gear up my Warlock. Nothing ever drops in LFR and we end up DEing 75% of the shit that drops in our actual raid, never mind the percentage of stuff that doesn't get DE'd but I can't use/don't need. I've got some bullshit mix of 483, 502, and 522 gear that probably doesn't even let me get into SoO LFR. I wanted to be fully switched over to this character when the new patch hit, but at this rate it'll take me at least another month to even get up to acceptable ToT progression gear levels, never mind the new raid.

I believe SoO is open for 496 and above. I'd have to imagine your 522 gear balances out enough to easily put you up over that unless you haven't been spending your valor on the 522 gear and only have one or two pieces. Not to mention the +8 to each item with upgrades.

cdyhybrid

Reaching 100 really isn't all that bad at this point. I imagine a lot of that can come from some fairly easily rep grinding (champion factions by wearing their tabards in current heroics). There's also some 100% drops that can be soloed or done with one other person such as Bronze Drake and the two in Obsidium Sanctum. Get in the habit of running the earlier dungeons, heroics, and raids that can be soloed as well and you'll get more. Three easy ones in AQ40 for three of the bug mounts. If your goal is mainly to cross the 100 threshold it's not all that bad.

Some of the rep grinds are a bit ugly/annoying. I hated Netherwing and most people really dislike Sha'tari Skyguard (I think that one's pretty quick and easy). Oh, and the talbuks are a pretty easy three-ish hour grind on the ogres for that set of mounts. Put these together with all the capital city factions and you'll be most of the way there.

Edit:

I believe SoO is open for 496 and above. I'd have to imagine your 522 gear balances out enough to easily put you up over that unless you haven't been spending your valor on the 522 gear and only have one or two pieces. Not to mention the +8 to each item with upgrades.

I'm at 504 at the moment, and I'm saving my valor for the new patch. I just wanted to be able to raid from Day 1 of the patch, but I dunno if my gear will be up to snuff. Might not even be high enough to do Flex.

Edit: Any Warlock PvPers here? Currently grinding out some honor for AV Call to Arms, and wondering if I should change my offspec to Affliction instead of Demo. Destro is my PvE spec because I don't have UVLS or the legendary meta yet, but I'm already bored of it, and my PvE spec won't be changing until a few weeks into the new raid probably, unless I get really lucky with gear. I only have a few Malev pieces and a Tyrannical neck, would playing Affliction make me significantly worse in PvP? Or should I stick with Demo or Destro in PvP for now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom