• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loxley

WoW has always been more accessible than other MMOs anyway. Even when it was 'hard' to level, it was easy for an MMO. Always has been pretty solo friendly, which I think is great.

Yep. Some people talk about this weird revisionist history version of WoW where it was a hardcore player's paradise, and then one day Blizzard decided to screw "the hardcore" by making the game as casual as possible. Which is ridiculous since it was their goal from day one to make an MMO that anyone could get into and have fun.

Really, all Blizzard did was make WoW less of time-sink. I can't speak to the difficulty of raid bosses today since I haven't been a hardcore raider since Vanilla. But I do get the impression that Blizzard is a lot quicker at nerfing bosses that are destroying guilds.

WoW certainly had more hardcore elements way back when, but the game was never specifically for the hardcore, it was meant to be for everyone; Blizzard have just gotten way better at zeroing in on that audience. And you can't blame them, WoW ruled he fucking world for a time and will go down in going history as one of he most influential games in the history of the medium. Not bad for a game that was originally built by a team of 35 people who had never made an MMO before.

Welp, there goes my chances of ever getting a Spectral Tiger. ;_;

If I read that post correctly it looks like the most recent set of cards has a chance to drop all the loot cards from previous sets. I'm sure the odds are still quite low but the cards might actually become a bit more frequent following this latest set.

Also, I posted earlier about the Jeweled Onyx Panther and sending Blizzard a ticket in to alert them to possibly shady issues. They replied, thanked me for alerting them to the player selling them, then reverted the trade and refunded my gold. So I'm back to 186 mounts and still need the black panther but back up to around 80k gold so Grand Expedition Yak remains my next likely mount unless something else comes up.

SteveWD40

So I re-installed...

Anyone here play Alliance on an EU server that has a guild that takes Gaf'ers / social members? I am planning on starting from scratch so just need a place to chat to folks / get guild bonuses, not even thinking about raiding at this point.

I played 5 years on Doomhammer up until Wrath, raided etc... but I quit 2 years back and haven't kept in touch with old guildies, so I feel I might as well start over.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
So I re-installed...

Anyone here play Alliance on an EU server that has a guild that takes Gaf'ers / social members? I am planning on starting from scratch so just need a place to chat to folks / get guild bonuses, not even thinking about raiding at this point.

I played 5 years on Doomhammer up until Wrath, raided etc... but I quit 2 years back and haven't kept in touch with old guildies, so I feel I might as well start over.
I play on Nordrassil in the guild Fusion. We do some raiding (both old and new content though we are currently in the process of gearing people up for Flexible). It's mostly a fun, social guild though. You are welcome to join if it sounds interesting.

SteveWD40

Rösti;78059725 said:
I play on Nordrassil in the guild Fusion. We do some raiding (both old and new content though we are currently in the process of gearing people up for Flexible). It's mostly a fun, social guild though. You are welcome to join if it sounds interesting.

Cool, whats your player name? I will hop on over the weekend.

My guid finally adventured to ToT raids, boss mechanics are very punishing now.

I am not sure to spend my valor coins for a 522 trinket or wait for the expansion, I am currently 514 i think.

You're not getting any new valor gear, so if you cap, spend your points. If not, wait to upgrade SoO gear.

I still have room for 2k more I think, dont have in mind to level up another alt or something.

Tarazet

My guid finally adventured to ToT raids, boss mechanics are very punishing now.

I am not sure to spend my valor coins for a 522 trinket or wait for the expansion, I am currently 514 i think.

You're not getting any new valor gear, so if you cap, spend your points. If not, wait to upgrade SoO gear.

Tarazet

I also recommend Tailoring/Enchanting. It doesn't make money as immediately like gathering professions do, but after you cap it I have never had an easier time making cash, plus it sets you up for decent raiding professions as well (although I don't think that's your thing).

The benefit of Tailoring/Enchanting is that it gives you two viable production professions (which is what you want for raiding), and they don't require any special gathering skill - just playing PvE content. Grind humanoid mobs for green gear and cloth and you get all the mats you need.

CassSept

Jedi2016

As long as they won't compromise soloing past content, and I'm sure they won't, it does make sense.
They've already said there won't be any functional difference, that you'll still be able to solo exactly the same content as you can now. The only thing that's changing is the numbers.

vocab

item squish is fine. As long as I can gauge how strong my character is without some sort of program/spreadsheet converter ill be fine.

Squish things down to get roughly current numbers/100, that would be perfect =D

My ilvl 600 cloak has more stats on it than my character did in total coming out of Naxx -_-

Loxley

"The Squish" gets my vote. Sure people will whine that their numbers aren't as badass as they once were, but mother of God does the game need it.

"The Squish" gets my vote. Sure people will whine that their numbers aren't as badass as they once were, but mother of God does the game need it.

I think psychologically going from 500k hp to 100k hp would suck even though it wouldn't matter

Blizzard is at fault here, why did they do the stat jump in cata to begin with?

CassSept

They've already said there won't be any functional difference, that you'll still be able to solo exactly the same content as you can now. The only thing that's changing is the numbers.

Yeah I know. I remember the original post and the debate and I was very pro-squish back then and still am, even more now. I remember watching in awe as during WotLK boss hp propelled into 10s of millions and now 100 million is nearly a half minute nuke by a party of decently geared DPS's territory. Something seriously needs to be done.

Boogdud

The timing is a bit ridiculous, to be sure. Sounds like they have only one person working on it, and it's a low priority work-on-it-when-you've-got-nothing-better-to-do project. I know folks that can build and rig character models, and they would have had the whole damn thing done in a week.

Like most things in wow, 'if you've paid 8 years and kept paying, why exactly would we make it a top priority?'

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
I still hope they give us a small glimpse what they've got done so far at Blizzcon. To kind of give players a general idea of just how much better than models will look.

Didn't they said sometime ago that the dwarf models were done and they were working on Humans and Orcs? Maybe they will show these at Blizzcon.

Jedi2016

I was thinking about the item squish, and hearing people complain about how much it will nerf them, despite Blizz's assurances to the contrary. The one thing that people keep bringing up is soloing old content, and how it's so much easier at lv90 because you've got huge health pools and hit everything like you've got Deathwing on a stick.

To be sure, it's a reasonable concern... if health pools get taken down to early-Wrath levels (which is what I'm expecting), then you'll end up with only 30k health at max level, and can hit mobs at maybe 5k using your hardest-hitting spells. On the surface, it does sound like you'd have a hell of a time killing the Lich King on your own at that point.

But they've already said you'll still be able to do that. And suddenly it hit me, the one thing that all of the cryers hadn't considered: there's obviously going to be a mechanic in place that Blizz hasn't told us about yet, that doesn't currently exist. Something they'll probably reveal in the FAQ that will accompany the item squish.

My guess it that they'll introduce some kind of level-gap mechanic. That as you outlevel mobs, you'll be able to do x% more damage to them, and they do x% less damage to you. So that, effectively, the power gap will still be there, even if the numbers don't show it. So, going back to LK at lv100, you'll still be able to hit him like a truck, and he'll still hit you like a wet noodle, all because you're 20 levels higher than he is, not because you've got 1.5M health and all your white hits are 300k+. Your numbers might be the same as a well-geared lv80 character, but your performance against lv80 mobs will be equivalent to what it is now.

This seems an obvious solution to me, and makes the whole item squish entirely moot in terms of performance, especially for older content. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me to see Blizz make the level-gap mechanic even more powerful than it is now (based on current health pools and attack power) to help appease people that will inevitably complain about it. It makes old content just as easy, if not easier, than it is now, while still making current-level content challenging.

Jedi2016

"Boss" mobs are currently always x levels higher. I think three? That would also need fixedm
Behind the scenes, they're three levels higher than whatever level they're supposed to be up against, not necessarily your current level. At least that's the way I understand it. LK, for example, is still treated as a lv83 elite even against a lv90 player, rather than being treated as lv93. That would still work using the new system. The "??" flavor text could remain, it would just happen behind the scenes like it does now. I think it would still work.

Ultratech

"Boss" mobs are currently always x levels higher. I think three? That would also need fixedm

3 Levels, but that's only to take into account stuff like Hit, Expertise, Dodge, Parry, or anything involving character level to an extent.

Doesn't really affect their actual stats.
So in a way, they'd just be 3 levels higher than normal. (i.e. LK would essentially be a Lv83 mob, Deathwing a Lv88, etc.)

Item squish would be great. This shit is getting bonkers.

Pretty much.
To give people a range of HP levels...
(DPS to Tank; lower numbers assumes a sorta fresh char at that level; higher number assumes geared Tank HP at said level)

-Vanilla*: ~2.5k to ~9k at 60.
-BC: ~7k to ~20k at 70.
-Wrath: 20k to ~45k+ at 80
-Cata: ~90k to ~190k+ at 85
-Mists: 300k to 700k++ at 90 (atm; It'll get even higher with SoO soon.)

A lot of 90s on average now have about as much HP as some bosses in MC. Pretty crazy.

*Edited to due to terrible memories and bad research.

ZenaxPure

Yeah, when I hit 60 on my rogue in vanilla I didn't even have 2k HP, something like 1800 I think.

Makes your point all the more crazy to be honest.

Rokam

So I thought the inability to start WoW and other games from the Battle.net app on the Start menu was a bug. Turns out that shit is a feature, what a waste. That's what I like about Steam and was hoping Blizzard would use it for their launcher.

The reasoning is "We want you to see any breaking news that may interrupt your ability to play the game." Bullshit.

Ultratech

4k lowest end health in vanilla on a fresh 60? Not even close.

Yeah, I was probably off on that a bit.

If you had decent gear at the time, you maybe had like around 2.5k to 3k.
(That's how it was on my Hunter at least.)

I may have to go back and research a bit more on that. :(

ampere

I think psychologically going from 500k hp to 100k hp would suck even though it wouldn't matter

Blizzard is at fault here, why did they do the stat jump in cata to begin with?

People cleared Tier 7 content in WotLK with their BC gear, just added some WotLK gems to it. They definitely wanted players to have to get the new expac's gear, so they made the huge stat increased. Grimace is right too, also done to reduce PvP burst (worked a bit).

I've been gearing up my druid tank and his HP doesn't even break close to 500k in 480ish gear. Do bears have lower hp than other tanks?
They get a 20% stam bonus (buffed to 40% in 5.4), DKs get 25%, Paladins get 25%, Warriors get 15%, Monks get 20% (pretty sure those numbers are right). And all tanks get an additional 5% for wearing all of their armor type.

So bears will have the most HP next patch, but are mid-low right now. Also depends what you gem/enchant. Many bears/monks gem/enchant crit and agi.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yep - to avoid WotLK style burst.

It hasn't really helped at all.

Keeping players alive just means they sit around mad that they're being chain-CC'd instead of mad they were burst dead really fast. I personally don't think serious competitive PvP works in WoW, but obviously its popular enough plenty of people disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom