• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bizazedo

PvP works best in world pvp.and large battlegrounds. Unfortunately world pvp was indirectly nerfed and AV was nerfed.

So in its current form Grimace is right.

People cleared Tier 7 content in WotLK with their BC gear, just added some WotLK gems to it. They definitely wanted players to have to get the new expac's gear, so they made the huge stat increased. Grimace is right too, also done to reduce PvP burst (worked a bit).

They get a 20% stam bonus (buffed to 40% in 5.4), DKs get 25%, Paladins get 25%, Warriors get 15%, Monks get 20% (pretty sure those numbers are right). And all tanks get an additional 5% for wearing all of their armor type.

So bears will have the most HP next patch, but are mid-low right now. Also depends what you gem/enchant. Many bears/monks gem/enchant crit and agi.

yeah I'm following icy vein's advice for gear optimization, which is the same as your advice. Thinking of leveling my DK to the cap next, making him my 4th 90 (Pally, Druid, Warlock so far :p).

Mount #187: Drake of the North Wind!

Got him on my fifth run of the hour just now. Took 112 kills, a fair bit less than the 264 kills on Slabhide for the Vitreous Stone Drake.

I'm down to three mounts left from raids or dungeons that I can solo. Alysrazor's mount, the Blue Drake from Malygos, and Rivendare's Charger. Not looking to doing Rivendare all that much but that's the only dungeon one I have left and after that it'll just be weekly raid attempts for mounts. Probably actually aim to get in small raids for ICC and Ulduar mount attempts. If really adventurous I might go for Dragon Soul mounts, too.

Got another duplicate raptor from my seventh Primal Egg but was able to get another egg about eleven dino kills in. So another three days and hopefully get the red one. I'm up to around 6,200 bones now but once I get the last raptor I'll grind that out to the 9,999 I need. And up to seven sky shards and have taken some time trying to farm up the last three. Probably work on that a bit more now that I'm getting close to finishing that up.

JCizzle

As long as they won't compromise soloing past content, and I'm sure they won't, it does make sense.

Numbers started getting out of hand in 3.2, went bonkers with Cata and got completely insane in MoP. Hell, people are doing 1 million dps on burst, at the current rate by the end of the next expansion we would be pulling ludicrous numbers.

GC tweeted me they wouldn't impact solo'ing. While he's the boss, I still have my doubts they can pull it off with no impact. We'll see...

ampere

yeah I'm following icy vein's advice for gear optimization, which is the same as your advice. Thinking of leveling my DK to the cap next, making him my 4th 90 (Pally, Druid, Warlock so far :p).

I'm a tank kind of guy so I love leveling all the tanks each expac to see how they are. DK tanking is still a lot of fun, go for it!

Did you guys have all your alts in the same faction?

I planned to raise a ally hunter just for the lolz but my alts are on the horde.

I think 80% of my characters are alliance. I have 1 level 90 horde, but it's not geared at all. I like to experience both sides, but I prefer to stick to my main faction.

Did you guys have all your alts in the same faction?

I planned to raise a ally hunter just for the lolz but my alts are on the horde.

I was alliance at launch, deleted alliance to play horde, godly blizzard cs restored my vanilla chars no problem when they lifted faction restriction, now I play both, but mainly horde. Alliance is dead on Arthas but oqueue rectified some problems, still can't wait for connected realms.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Mount #187: Drake of the North Wind!

Got him on my fifth run of the hour just now. Took 112 kills, a fair bit less than the 264 kills on Slabhide for the Vitreous Stone Drake.

I'm down to three mounts left from raids or dungeons that I can solo. Alysrazor's mount, the Blue Drake from Malygos, and Rivendare's Charger. Not looking to doing Rivendare all that much but that's the only dungeon one I have left and after that it'll just be weekly raid attempts for mounts. Probably actually aim to get in small raids for ICC and Ulduar mount attempts. If really adventurous I might go for Dragon Soul mounts, too.

Got another duplicate raptor from my seventh Primal Egg but was able to get another egg about eleven dino kills in. So another three days and hopefully get the red one. I'm up to around 6,200 bones now but once I get the last raptor I'll grind that out to the 9,999 I need. And up to seven sky shards and have taken some time trying to farm up the last three. Probably work on that a bit more now that I'm getting close to finishing that up.

I got mine in an LFD while leveling. :smug:

I got mine in an LFD while leveling. :smug:

Everyone's going to have good luck with some mounts and bad luck with others. I imagine I'm fairly lucky getting Ashes of A'lar, Onyxia Drake, and Fiery Warhorse from Karazhan all around 10-20 runs. And the Sea Turtle on my second or third cast into a Wrath pool of water on this character.

But then those two Cata dungeon mounts took 264 and 112 kills so that's pretty ridiculous. I'm sure Rivendare's Charger will keep this going and require another couple hundred runs through the place. And I don't look forward to that at all but it does seem the best for optimizing time since it's not as straightforward of a run.

Optimizing my runs is the best way to keep myself entertained doing these runs countless times. Just this week I got Malygos down quicker than ever by actually using the spark to my advantage and using the 50% damage buff right when Malygos hits 50% health to burn off more health than I normally can (and it was far from perfect so next week I expect to do even better.

In fact I don't think I got any of the rare mount drops while running with others and had to solo them all. I remember being really upset having someone ninja the Black Drake from me an expansion ago but even that's a guaranteed drop that was to be rolled between four of us. I think I bring bad luck with mount drops when I'm around. Aside from Onyxia Drake dropping on RPGcrazied's first attempt when him and I ran it a couple weeks back.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Everyone's going to have good luck with some mounts and bad luck with others. I imagine I'm fairly lucky getting Ashes of A'lar, Onyxia Drake, and Fiery Warhorse from Karazhan all around 10-20 runs. And the Sea Turtle on my second or third cast into a Wrath pool of water on this character.

But then those two Cata dungeon mounts took 264 and 112 kills so that's pretty ridiculous. I'm sure Rivendare's Charger will keep this going and require another couple hundred runs through the place. And I don't look forward to that at all but it does seem the best for optimizing time since it's not as straightforward of a run.

Optimizing my runs is the best way to keep myself entertained doing these runs countless times. Just this week I got Malygos down quicker than ever by actually using the spark to my advantage and using the 50% damage buff right when Malygos hits 50% health to burn off more health than I normally can (and it was far from perfect so next week I expect to do even better.

In fact I don't think I got any of the rare mount drops while running with others and had to solo them all. I remember being really upset having someone ninja the Black Drake from me an expansion ago but even that's a guaranteed drop that was to be rolled between four of us. I think I bring bad luck with mount drops when I'm around. Aside from Onyxia Drake dropping on RPGcrazied's first attempt when him and I ran it a couple weeks back.

I think I got Rivendare's in ~30, Ashes in ~35 and Onyxia in ~50. I don't remember with the White Hawkstrider or the Raven Lord.

I never got the Fiery Warhorse at all, and I used to do all 10 of my guys in a single day for a few weeks. Never got the one from Slabhide either. Saw the Raptor drop in ZG once, but I didn't win.

I remember when WLK launched and the Bronze Drake was sort of cool and everyone got mad at me for "ninjaing" the mount from my wife.

Westlo

omfg @ these trade chat deals on alliance when I had like 10g between my alliance characters combined right now.

Vials of Sand 13k, fuck me
Clockwork Gnome and Untamed Hatchling, both level 25 and 6k for both.

/table flip.

Just spent my last 1k on a masterwork spiritblade decimator, worth 5k but damn it hurts missing out on those 2 deals because I assumed patch was this week and went hard in stocking up. (and yeah blew 20k on vanguard legs as well...)

Edit - Got a Spectral Cub pet for 60k, though it wasn't a level 6 one from a level 1 character being sold in trade chat, it was level 25 and on the auction house. Obviously it was a dupe bought off the dupers but they must have got Blizzard to fix the item charge (Wibblewozzer you could've done that with your Jeweled Onyx) so that it was able to go on the AH and be a legit item.

Steal @ that price all leveled up, and the dupe will eventually get shut down, like the Deathcharger one did... sigh I should've bought like 10 of them when they were under 15k, they go for 75k now...

Alliance = broke, Horde = 279k, can't believe I had 750k a few months ago and spent so much.

edit 2 - omfg forgot i had like 40 haunting spirits on alliance.

Westlo

probably some guy who had one in cata and came back and forgot the price and didn't check the AH

It happens. near the end of cata I was like 2 secs away from getting a battered hilt for 2k (offered in trade chat) before he got a higher offer that was closer to the real price of 15k.

But yeah what a fuck up lol, the cost alone is like 30k IIRC and the battered hilt was a drop.

(Wibblewozzer you could've done that with your Jeweled Onyx) so that it was able to go on the AH and be a legit item.

I'm aware. I read about people doing so before I even sent Blizzard the ticket. But I purposely wrote them the ticket to tell them about the seller and my suspicions that the item was made correctly considering the low cost. I'd prefer to help remove people abusing the system than to take advantage of it myself even if there'd be no negative consequences for myself.

Tonight I started the slog of running Strat for Rivendare's Charger and after that had few options for mount related activities so I went to try for my last three skyshards. Within around ten minutes of killing the sprites on the northern ramps near the caved-in cave entrance I got two within around 30 seconds from one another. Got one from the lone guy that's at the bottom of the path and then I pull the seven in the camp together next up on the path and got another from that. An hour later I got my final 10th sky shard. And with that, Alani.

EPN6buN.jpg

2DZhk4c.jpg

i5tDT5E.jpg

It's really just a shame that the mount from Alani doesn't look any more unique or interesting. I've seen two others on the mount in the past and when I compliment them on it they were both pleased that I actually knew where it was from since most people just think it's another boring cloud serpent that takes minimal effort. Oh well.

Westlo

new character models will come with this expansion.

They are just bullshting us.

Yep, even though it will come with 6.0 and you won't need the expansion to get the models, it will be all over the PR, vids and shit, a real "check this out!" type thing.

If there is no new class or race than they have to have this as some sort of "visual Selling point" even though you're not buying the expansion for them lol. But as if you'll come back to 6.0 and not play the expansion.

And even if they have a new class and/or race, it's just another thing to push.

CassSept

Yep, even though it will come with 6.0 and you won't need the expansion to get the models, it will be all over the PR, vids and shit, a real "check this out!" type thing.

As the heroes battle with the Legion for survival, the Horde and the Alliance models have been...

TRANSFORMED

Sorry but I always found this "TRANSFORMED" from Cata reveal hilarious

Bizazedo

It's really just a shame that the mount from Alani doesn't look any more unique or interesting. I've seen two others on the mount in the past and when I compliment them on it they were both pleased that I actually knew where it was from since most people just think it's another boring cloud serpent that takes minimal effort. Oh well.
I am annoyed my Oondasta mount doesn't look more special. It is slightly bigger with red eyes, but meh..

Been leveling Warlock, got real bored of my DK. So far as destro we are just fire mages with tank pets, can't wait until I'm 90 so I can try affliction. How are shaman? Ive always wanted a Max level sham but I despise levelling

I am annoyed my Oondasta mount doesn't look more special. It is slightly bigger with red eyes, but meh..

With how easy it is for them to add special sparkle appearances and such they could easily do better making very rare mounts more special. Or at least make their colors look much more unique.

Been leveling Warlock, got real bored of my DK. So far as destro we are just fire mages with tank pets, can't wait until I'm 90 so I can try affliction. How are shaman? Ive always wanted a Max level sham but I despise levelling

How are shamans in term of leveling? I only have experience as enhance but I know that leveling felt pretty fun up through the 20s but then really starts to drag. Once you get Maelstrom at around 56/57 it becomes much more entertaining. It's a shame it takes that long for that to appear since I consider that one of the core mechanics of being enhance. I really enjoy playing enhance at max level. Really versatile and able to live through a lot of stuff. Quick reactions with abilities and totems can help keep a raid alive by helping tank for a brief period with earth elementals (or popping damage mitigation and self-heals). Can also throw out emergency heals when needed and those have kept myself and others alive nicely.

Jedi2016

One thing I find curious is that the thread linked here only shows the one new Battleground while someone else linked within the mmo-champion thread to another thread for the same topic and in that one the OP links to images of the original post on 4chan as well as a pastebin and in that one it also includes Defense of the Alehouse as a second new Battleground. Someone replied pointing out that Blizzard has come out and said they stopped work on that Battleground. Doesn't mean they couldn't pick it back up but do they usually go back to old material when coming out with new battlegrounds for new expansions?

Just seems odd that this second thread was made and seems to purposely remove Defense of the Alehouse off of the info dump due to it likely being something that could prove the whole thing incorrect.

I honestly don't follow this stuff well enough to know how true all this information could be. It sounds fairly reasonable and seems like a direction I wouldn't mind them going as I tend to enjoy Naga, though I really don't like the Azjol Nerub stuff. I guess we'll just have to wait until November to find out. I wonder if there'll be a much quicker turnaround time since 5.4 hits in a couple weeks so if they're unveiling in November and making us wait roughly a year for it to come out that's a really long time for no new content and to have plenty of people unsubscribe after they feel completely done with all the content a few months in with nothing new coming for most the year.

Edit: And hasn't all the in-game story stuff towards the end of this expansion practically guaranteed that everything will go towards the Burning Legion? Suppose that could just be a red herring but I don't think they'd be wise to pump everyone up for a return of the Burning Legion stuff and then put another expansion in between and make people wait another two years.

Jedi2016

I think it depends on whether this is going to be the last expansion or not. I've always thought that lv100 was going to be the "ultimate max level", and that it would never proceed beyond that.

Really, the only thing we have to go off of in regards to the level cap are the heirloom drops from Garrosh, but there's no reason they can't make those last two expansions. It doesn't really make a lot of sense to slow down the leveling these last two expacs and then suddenly bump it back up to ten levels again.

I imagine that the last expac will be a doozy.. probably a combination Burning Legion/Old Gods/Titans expac that goes out with a bang. I don't get all the hype about the Naga, I couldn't care less, and that would be extremely disappointing as the final sendoff of the game. Maybe have one particular patch devoted to them if they like, but not a whole expansion.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
I think it depends on whether this is going to be the last expansion or not. I've always thought that lv100 was going to be the "ultimate max level", and that it would never proceed beyond that.

Haven't they confirmed they're already 2-3 expansions ahead in terms of planning? Could've sworn I had heard that somewhat recently.

I think I got Rivendare's in ~30, Ashes in ~35 and Onyxia in ~50. I don't remember with the White Hawkstrider or the Raven Lord.

I never got the Fiery Warhorse at all, and I used to do all 10 of my guys in a single day for a few weeks. Never got the one from Slabhide either. Saw the Raptor drop in ZG once, but I didn't win.

I remember when WLK launched and the Bronze Drake was sort of cool and everyone got mad at me for "ninjaing" the mount from my wife.

340+ for Rivendare and I still don't have it. That shit broke me. My wife wants me to come back and play. Not sure I want to.

ZenaxPure

Haven't they confirmed they're already 2-3 expansions ahead in terms of planning? Could've sworn I had heard that somewhat recently.

It was in one of the 5.2 interviews I believe, they always have a general idea of what the next 2 to 3 expansions will be (I assume lore and general location). I don't really understand why anyone would think the next expansion will be the last or that WoW is coming to an end anywhere in the near future. If the original Everquest can still get expansions that means WoW will be getting expansions for at least the next 10 years if not 20 given how even in its lowest it will probably have more players than most other MMOs.

I'm aware. I read about people doing so before I even sent Blizzard the ticket. But I purposely wrote them the ticket to tell them about the seller and my suspicions that the item was made correctly considering the low cost. I'd prefer to help remove people abusing the system than to take advantage of it myself even if there'd be no negative consequences for myself.

Tonight I started the slog of running Strat for Rivendare's Charger and after that had few options for mount related activities so I went to try for my last three skyshards. Within around ten minutes of killing the sprites on the northern ramps near the caved-in cave entrance I got two within around 30 seconds from one another. Got one from the lone guy that's at the bottom of the path and then I pull the seven in the camp together next up on the path and got another from that. An hour later I got my final 10th sky shard. And with that, Alani.

EPN6buN.jpg

2DZhk4c.jpg

i5tDT5E.jpg

What's the best way to farm that? Alani and Rivendare are the only mounts I still want. I got TLPD, Aeonaxx, etc. I have ONE sky shard. ANd it dropped months ago.

mclem

Given how long Everquest expansions have continued to appear, I very much imagine that they're intending to keep WoW going for as long as sufficient people are interested. Moreover, I suspect that's always been the plan.

JCizzle

What's the best way to farm that? Alani and Rivendare are the only mounts I still want. I got TLPD, Aeonaxx, etc. I have ONE sky shard. ANd it dropped months ago.

Depends on how much time you want to spend farming and if you just want to get it over time. First off, just do the dailies everyday. I've heard the chest you get at the end of the daily chain has a higher rate of dropping a skyshard and I know I got one that way. Maybe two? While doing dailies I had four or five drop from kills to do the quests. Two of them were on my way to exalted but the other two I got about a week apart fairly recently when I started doing the dailies again most days.

The rest I farmed. Most people suggest farming the sprites that show up during some sets of dailies that carry the barrels over near the village. When I decided I wanted to start farming slowly for shards that's where I went and got one to drop in an hour. They have lower health than the rest of the Vale's enemies so you can kill them quickly. They also respawn faster than you can clear them so you'll always have more very close by to kill.

I actually prefer the sprites in the northern region on the path that climbs upwards toward the cave-in. This is west of the first set of daily quests. Like the other sprites they're not always up and instead mogu can be up. While the mogu have nearly three times as much health I've farmed them as well and had one shard drop there after around an hour of farming. The three skyshards I got last night to finish it up were all from the sprites in this area though. It requires a little more travel than the other set of sprites but these ones always drop stuff whereas the first set I describe only drop things like 50% of the time and honestly it just made me worry that half of those I was killing were somehow set to not drop anything at all meaning I was wasting half my time killing them. Probably not the case but I still prefer the sprites to the north.

If you do the northern sprites I found a good route was starting at the base of the path I'd kill them in groups moving up. From there I'd mount and fly down to kill the few around the rounded statue thinger below. I'd mount again and fly to the ruins south of that and kill the few that run around there as well as the two that are always standing still a tiny bit more south near the SE corner of the ruins. I'd mount up, fly mostly due north to three hanging out on the hills above the ruins. Mount again to reach the two a bit further north right near the first daily quest region. After that they've already been respawning so I'd head back to the start of the path and do this over. It took me something around three to four minutes to make this cycle and in the process I killed roughly thirty per cycle. Seeing as how the shards drop at worse a rate of 1/1000 kills you're still looking at a possible shard an hour or so.

Slayerx

To be honest I expect at least 4 updated races to roll out with the next expansion, orcs and dwarves seem to be done so probably humans and trolls as well. My point being they just got a massive influx of artists from Titan and the last major patch is now done so I expect them to ramp up the production on new models, while they were working on them since before MoP I don't think they could put that many resources behind it.

I don't think Blizzard will ever do a disjointed expansion that is not one landmass but I guess the tunnels are a cool solution to that problem.

ampere

No new classes, no new race, no new specs, no new models? That has the potential to be the worst expansion of all time. I really hope this guy is full of shit.

Edit: point being, there should be at least something out of those four "no's" to grab people's attention. You need the catch that draws people back in, and I just don't see it without one of those being involved.

"Level to 100!" could be a big selling point IMO.

That being said, hard to say if anything in that 'leak' is going to end up true.

JCizzle

"Level to 100!" could be a big selling point IMO.

That being said, hard to say if anything in that 'leak' is going to end up true.

True, I can definitely see that if they also include some other really big feature that nobody is even considering at the moment. ilvl crush will be a big deal, but I'm not sure it's really a marketable feature. Maybe while they're scaling everything down they will somehow make ALL raids/dungeons scale like they do with challenge mode dungeons - like one raid/dungeon is the daily per week to keep the player base from getting too spread out across all the options.

To be honest I expect at least 4 updated races to roll out with the next expansion, orcs and dwarves seem to be done so probably humans and trolls as well. My point being they just got a massive influx of artists from Titan and the last major patch is now done so I expect them to ramp up the production on new models, while they were working on them since before MoP I don't think they could put that many resources behind it.

I don't think Blizzard will ever do a disjointed expansion that is not one landmass but I guess the tunnels are a cool solution to that problem.

I hope they include all the original races somehow and remove the damn hunchback that was added to all horde races (I still don't understand it!). I know that whenever the new models do hit, i'm going to be spending soooooooo much money on race changes :(.

Rokam

I really hope whatever the expansion is, they have 2 starting areas for the new zones, and they're on different continents. Everyone on Pandaria made the first night mostly unplayable out in the world.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
That sub-race bit, if it is what i think it is, then its something i wanted for years. Being able to play as a Maghar orc or as an Iron dwarf or as a Taunka would be amazing.

Nugg

There's a bunch of things that don't add up, so I'm going to call the whole thing fake.

An old version of the same fake rumor also had the Defense of the Alehouse battleground, until someone pointed out that they publicly said that this battleground wasn't being worked on anymore. So there's just Azshara Crater left. The thing is, when it was being worked on, the Defense of the Alehouse and Azshara Crater were different names for the same battleground.

I hope that leak turns out fake. I really want it to be Burning Legion focused because everything seems to be pointing in that direction with all of the Wrathion stuff.

Guess we'll see if part of this is real when the expansion ending cinematic is out and we see who the new Warchief is (if it's in there).

cdyhybrid

I'm not believing anything I read about the expansion unless it comes from a legitimate source, not some random message board poster.

It's too easy to build on rumors and throw "spoilers" together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom