• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

mclem

Oh I know, it's just something that I like seeing when it (infrequently) happens.

I do have a hunch it'll be a bit more frequent in times to come; I think Blizz's storytelling ambitions mean that we're now at a stage where when they add a new zone, they want to carefully corral players within it to at least some extent.

Besides, it's much easier to balance open-world content if players can't drop in on the crucial areas from above!

Bizazedo

I'm not quite sure what you mean... although it may be a factor that I don't recall finding either of those instances particularly difficult

Depends when y'did them / how y'did them / how geared you were / how accustomed to EQ style pulling fights you were.

I never thought Shattered Halls was as bad as most say, but Lower Blackrock 5-man was painfully long the first time through with crap gear.

BRD was also fun in Beta while level restricted. Very quickly learned to MC mobs and toss them into the lava.

Dunno, I saw horde peeps that aren't from the home server

Yeah, we had guys from other servers on my server. Illidan people were everywhere and tagged as "coalesced".

mclem

I never thought Shattered Halls was as bad as most say, but Lower Blackrock 5-man was painfully long the first time through with crap gear.

BRD was also fun in Beta while level restricted. Very quickly learned to MC mobs and toss them into the lava.

Long, yes. But not difficult. Mind you, Shattered Halls was probably the environment where I really *got* being a paladin tank, so that'd affect my viewpoint somewhat!

Bizazedo

Long, yes. But not difficult. Mind you, Shattered Halls was probably the environment where I really *got* being a paladin tank, so that'd affect my viewpoint somewhat!

I had retired my tank during TBC, brought him back later, so my memories of SH was .... while not super easy, with a premade group and I as a Frost Mage it seemed doable.

And yeah, LBS was long. That was part of it, especially as new 60s. They also had to later nerf the spider spawns and a few other things regarding it. Did you do it after or before MC opened up?

.....and we had no Pallies :(.

yukonrye

Is it weird that one of my favorite aspects of the Timeless Isle is just seeing everyone riding ground-mounts again? I've never been one to complain about the inclusion of flying mounts in TBC, I really like them, but I find a certain charm in everyone being stuck on the ground again.
I love it when it's like this. Feels like there is so much more variety. My Raven Lord mount is my favorite and I get a reason to ride it.

RPGCrazied

Really want to watch it before I play, I'm sure as soon as it happens it'll be spoiled in game by someone. And I want to watch before knowing who it is.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't think I like Timeless Isle all that much; I just got a complete set of 496 armor for an alt that isn't even 90 in 2 hours or so. I mean, I guess I like gearing up, but there's something that feels off about getting it all from guaranteed boxes and random mobs sitting around the world. The other thing that's weird is that the Timeless gear is all underbudgeted and isn't worth getting, so there's no reason to go there other than the World Bosses after you gear up your alts in 2 hours.

I just resubbed to wow after a few weeks off. I decided to come back for something to do on the pc at night. I'm going to turn casual PVE from PVP as the pvp always has been unbalanced and just gets worse and worse as time goes on. I'm going to stick with my druid as my main for PVE since I love boomie\resto and feral is ok if I really need to use it. Does anyone have any advice on where to start? My gear isn't too great MY ARMORY IS IN DIS LINK YO

Whooter

I just resubbed to wow after a few weeks off. I decided to come back for something to do on the pc at night. I'm going to turn casual PVE from PVP as the pvp always has been unbalanced and just gets worse and worse as time goes on. I'm going to stick with my druid as my main for PVE since I love boomie\resto and feral is ok if I really need to use it. Does anyone have any advice on where to start? My gear isn't too great MY ARMORY IS IN DIS LINK YO

Spend an hour or two on the Timeless Isle. Your gear will be fine, then.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Go to Timeless Isle and find the boxes for about an hour and you will get 496s that may replace anything you have lower than that. The Timeless Curio (which I've gotten 5 of) will automatically turn into a trinket for your class (that is actually good). If you actually care about whether the items are good, you can buy reasonable former-VP gear for cheap JP prices.

Westlo

How's DPS LFR multiple queues? Next one pops as soon as you finish one?

I don't think I like Timeless Isle all that much; I just got a complete set of 496 armor for an alt that isn't even 90 in 2 hours or so. I mean, I guess I like gearing up, but there's something that feels off about getting it all from guaranteed boxes and random mobs sitting around the world. The other thing that's weird is that the Timeless gear is all underbudgeted and isn't worth getting, so there's no reason to go there other than the World Bosses after you gear up your alts in 2 hours.

It's better than running Hour of Twilight for a week, or buying PVP gear to queue for DS LFR.

Go to Timeless Isle and find the boxes for about an hour and you will get 496s that may replace anything you have lower than that. The Timeless Curio (which I've gotten 5 of) will automatically turn into a trinket for your class (that is actually good). If you actually care about whether the items are good, you can buy reasonable former-VP gear for cheap JP prices.

Wtf is this for real? In 8 years I can't remember gearing to this pathetically easy lol.

Angry Grimace

How's DPS LFR multiple queues? Next one pops as soon as you finish one?

It's better than running Hour of Twilight for a week, or buying PVP gear to queue for DS LFR.

I'm not sure about that, really. Its possible I just don't hate 5 man dungeons as much as other people do, but there's something a little more fun for me personally about getting a drop off of a boss. *shrug*

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I need to find some damn curios, trinkets are always a bitch.

Angry Grimace

I need to find some damn curios, trinkets are always a bitch.

I have four 90s, but using only two of them I have 5 of the Curios. Just kill the rares when people call them and open all of the boxes, particularly the bigger ones.

ZenaxPure

I saw the same. The thing that confused me is that a couple of the server names I saw were not RP servers (of which I'm on). I hope Blizz didn't fuck something up there.

The thing you have to keep in mind is that CRZ still exists, not like it magically went away. Especially on the isle you will see a lot of people not from your realm just because people have friends from other realms they want to play with.

Most of my time on the isle yesterday was spent with my friend from a different realm. Helped him a lot too since his server is high pop and the isle was a laggy mess, where as on my medium pop server everything ran really smooth.

Angry Grimace

The thing you have to keep in mind is that CRZ still exists, not like it magically went away. Especially on the isle you will see a lot of people not from your realm just because people have friends from other realms they want to play with.

Most of my time on the isle yesterday was spent with my friend from a different realm. Helped him a lot too since his server is high pop and the isle was a laggy mess, where as on my medium pop server everything ran really smooth.

Its weird because it lists CRZ people as "coalesced" but I'm not sure any official combining of realms has occurred yet. Since you can join guilds cross realm, I would think the actual list is something they would announce, no?

Bizazedo

I think it depends what you're after, Grimace. There's 3 mounts we can get and a lot of vanity fun items that will keep us busy hunting / camping. Plus pet battles and the everpresent Achievements.

But yeah, if you're looking for good gear and are already well-equipped, you're right the island is zzzzz. Even the world bosses are too easy.

kirblar

I think it depends what you're after, Grimace. There's 3 mounts we can get and a lot of vanity fun items that will keep us busy hunting / camping. Plus pet battles and the everpresent Achievements.

But yeah, if you're looking for good gear and are already well-equipped, you're right the island is zzzzz. Even the world bosses are too easy.
Timeless Isle = place to do stuff while in LFR queue. On that level, it's a big success. Although I don't think the zone's big enough.

ZenaxPure

Pretty much, this is already better than the 5.3 stuff to me because of mounts/achievements/vanity items and the like. Honestly I spent more time on the timeless isle yesterday than I spent in the battlefield barrens over the course of all the time I played in 5.3.

You will certainly gear up an alt really fast, but, there is more to the isle than that so I can't complain.

Bizazedo

Pretty much, this is already better than the 5.3 stuff to me because of mounts/achievements/vanity items and the like. Honestly I spent more time on the timeless isle yesterday than I spent in the battlefield barrens over the course of all the time I played in 5.3.

You will certainly gear up an alt really fast, but, there is more to the isle than that so I can't complain.

Yeah. I'll be honest, I detested Barrens pretty quickly. The Commanders were too ridiculous without a big group (well some of them) and there were no real rewards to keep me focused. It was more of a job to get dat easy Valor and extra supplies to exploit with the Valor buff the following week.

They linked the "weekly" Valor quests here pretty well with normal playing so it didn't feel like a grind or job, so kudos for that.

And 100% agree with Kirblar. Zone needs to be bigger.

Zero secrets for nine bosses on my hunter this week so far... got two total last week. That's really annoying. You'd think they could have increased the drop rate. Or made it work kinda like the Ordos gating, where if you have one character with the cloak then alts can get over to him too, well, if you have one character with the cloak, give your alts 100%, or at least much higher, legendary quest drop rates. Cause. Seriously. Who the fuck wants to be farming ToT for months in a post 5.4 world?! >(

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I hope to see multiple (and bigger) zones like Timeles Isle in the next expansion, its a nice change of pace from the usual "Do dozen of dailies again and again".

Zero secrets for nine bosses on my hunter this week so far... got two total last week. That's really annoying. You'd think they could have increased the drop rate. Or made it work kinda like the Ordos gating, where if you have one character with the cloak then alts can get over to him too, well, if you have one character with the cloak, give your alts 100%, or at least much higher, legendary quest drop rates. Cause. Seriously. Who the fuck wants to be farming ToT for months in a post 5.4 world?! >(

I'm pretty sure you can get secrets and runestones in SoO too, unless they changed it.

Angry Grimace

I hope to see multiple (and bigger) zones like Timeles Isle in the next expansion, its a nice change of pace from the usual "Do dozen of dailies again and again".

I'm pretty sure you can get secrets and runestones in SoO too, unless they changed it.

You can, but the drop rate is no higher than it was in 5.2 and 5.3. Its just more pulls on the same slot machine.

JCizzle

Bash is defending the 2500 coin for one mogu, but I think he's missing the mark a bit. I'd much rather gear up through tot than the Isle gear. Furthermore, it's so expensive that I think it's slower to accrue mogu than it was with 50 lesser charms for 3. Finally, there are some pieces I really want for transmog on my main that still haven't dropped. If I don't get them in 5.4,i probably won't be able to for a few years until I can solo it.

A very inconvenient hurdle for outdated content and especially compared to how they handled elder charms. I just don't get it.

ZenaxPure

there were no real rewards to keep me focused.

This was my one fear of the barrens before it launched and it ended up coming true. Did it a couple of times on my rogue and on some various alts and never went back. Didn't even do it for valor to be honest because lol heroic scenario valor.

cdyhybrid

I opened one of the American streams and saw a bunch of naked allys dancing to Toto - Africa. Huh.

Well EU streams should start now and competent raiders will probably blow through normal in no time.

Haha, I was watching that. They had a few attempts on Garrosh before that but I guess it got too late so they called it. I love that song though :p

Man.

I looted 3 Burden's of Eternity last night in relatively quick succession. Got one out of the Blazing Chest and then 2 more (1 from a moss covered chest and another from a rare turtle).

Easiest 3 535 items ever. Though they haven't been particularly good ... but are better than the stuff I had regardless.

I hate yyyyyoooooouuuuuuuu

Tamanon

Banned
One thing that's going to be annoying for gearing up alts is Black Prince rep. It already annoyed me that you didn't get any doing the Barrens stuff, but you should get some doing the Timeless Isle dangit! I don't want to farm Isle of Thunder the whole time for only that.

kirblar

Bash is defending the 2500 coin for one mogu, but I think he's missing the mark a bit. I'd much rather gear up through tot than the Isle gear. Furthermore, it's so expensive that I think it's slower to accrue mogu than it was with 50 lesser charms for 3. Finally, there are some pieces I really want for transmog on my main that still haven't dropped. If I don't get them in 5.4,i probably won't be able to for a few years until I can solo it.

A very inconvenient hurdle for outdated content and especially compared to how they handled elder charms. I just don't get it.
Yeah, the coins need to just drop from things randomly - the current implementation is terrible.

Angry Grimace

They should have them at a fairly high clip from the gambling monkey

Bizazedo

Evermaw and the Dread Pirate ship alone would probably get you to 1400-1700 coins. And you're not limited to 3 a week.

I logged off last night with 17,000 coins. Granted, quests helped a lot, but Wrathion also stole 5000 (the bastard).

Now, with how stupid easy they made lesser coin accquisition (they seriously should just delete them at this point), I can understand where you think the Coins are harder, but it still wouldn't take long to get to 3 if it was your only goal. And again, you'd end up higher than 3.

Tacitus_

I made 24k coins in 6 hours. Go farm boy.

JCizzle

So that's what, less than 10 mogu in 6 hours versus the 6 minutes it took to kill a rare, get the key and run the scenario for 10-15 elders? That's not a very good time/reward ratio you're promoting IMO. It's crazy I'd need to spend 6 hours per character to get 1 coin per boss for last tiers raid.

I'm not trying to make a mountain out of a molehill, it's just way out of whack to me.

Now, with how stupid easy they made lesser coin accquisition (they seriously should just delete them at this point), I can understand where you think the Coins are harder, but it still wouldn't take long to get to 3 if it was your only goal. And again, you'd end up higher than 3.

I think the lack of things to spend lesser charms on is one of the bigger missed opportunities of Pandaria. They feel like justice badges with t6 dropping like candy from boxes and rares on Timeless Isle.

Angry Grimace

Evermaw and the Dread Pirate ship alone would probably get you to 1400-1700 coins. And you're not limited to 3 a week.

I logged off last night with 17,000 coins. Granted, quests helped a lot, but Wrathion also stole 5000 (the bastard).

The biggest problem with Mogu Runes is that there's no reason to need them. TI gear will get you into SOO pretty much no problem; add a 476 from the Timeless vendor for you item and a 522 from the Shado-Pan Assault vendor and you're straight into Siege.

In fairness, you can get 15 Elder Charms in an hour or less.

Bizazedo

I find myself agreeing with everything Grimace is saying today. Disturbing :(.

I really need to use my Keys, I have 11 on one character and 4 on another.

Touch

So I'm wanting to gear some alts on Timeless Isle. Do I just use the 496 gear from the chests or should I save for the item to make them 535? Which would be more efficient?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom