• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acidote

We have the same problem. Good tanks and heals, but only 3 or 4 of us make more than 50ks dps including myself. We are 3 guys nearing 60k, the rest are near 50k but not reaching it.

mclem

Your DPS is slacking, incredibly. They either need more gear, or need to get schooled on the Mists changes to rotations/priorities.

One thing I must flag up is that it's worth finding out how he got his numbers - do bear in mind that the Gara'jal fight means that for periods of time you won't be getting any damage data from certain people.

I think our DPS are in similar boats. We really ought to be in the 60k ballpark, I think.

I would *love* a tool to actually properly analyse logs. There's some very useful functionality in World of Logs to display uptimes, cooldowns and rotations as executed by the player, but it's really quite awkward and complicated to actually compare that with what a log *should* look like. Particularly because it's usually me - an ignorant-of-DPS tank - doing the analysis, trying to find a jumping-in point for them to work on.

Berordn

One thing I must flag up is that it's worth finding out how he got his numbers - do bear in mind that the Gara'jal fight means that for periods of time you won't be getting any damage data from certain people.

I think our DPS are in similar boats. We really ought to be in the 60k ballpark, I think.

I'm mostly basing it on our performance from Feng. I know the numbers don't add up with the different phases involved.

But yeah, we've got one excellent DPS consistently breaking 60k, and when I DPS, I'm pulling a solid performance around 56-58k. After that, it drops into a range of high 40 to mid 30.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
The Valor Point rewards from random Dungeons, Challenge Mode Dungeons and Scenarios have increased.
Cool.
Players can now properly complete "Old Man Thistle's Treasure"
About time.

idlewild_

I'm mostly basing it on our performance from Feng. I know the numbers don't add up with the different phases involved.

But yeah, we've got one excellent DPS consistently breaking 60k, and when I DPS, I'm pulling a solid performance around 56-58k. After that, it drops into a range of high 40 to mid 30.

This is normal mode I assume? Not to be a dick, but I'm impressed you don't hit the enrage timer there. It almost sounds like you are handling some part of the fight incorrectly since you should have almost a patchwerk-level of uptime on the boss (on normal.)

Neki

I think everyone should able to do 40k with heroic level dungeon gear, mid 30 is extremely low. xD

TimeKillr

Yeah DPS is a problem with my group too. Some of our DPS is in the mid-30s, and they all blame it on the fact that they're not top dps in the theorical DPS charts to say "Well it sucks".

Basically, we have a rogue, a lock (who is demon), a mage (I'm not sure what his spec is, I haven't looked at it too much), a shaman and a hunter.

We barely beat the enrage timer on the dogs, apparently. Took us about 30 tries to get the fight down (and I don't even think we'll be able to down it again next week lol), so I'm a bit worried. We're on Feng now and it's a total nightmare - I'm off-tank and I'm responsible for the shroud of reversal and while I can generally get what I want to get, it's still a nightmare because the phases take too long...

mclem

We barely beat the enrage timer on the dogs, apparently.

We pretty much hit it dead-on in our first week kill (I was definitely undergeared then, can't really speak for others). Since then, though, it's been extended (DBM hadn't been updated to account for the extra few minutes last I heard), and we've been tending to do the dogs as a 25 thanks to our Wednesday attendance. Our 25 performance goes a little past what the enrage timer *was*.

We're getting *frustratingly* close to be able to do 25s reliably. It's infuriating. For now, Wednesdays are all we have.

Ultratech

Have cut gem prices crashed on everyone else's servers? I move a handful a day for 8g-40g each on Zul'jin. Even uncut rare gems don't sell for much.

At this point I may just stop trying to sell them until we're deeper into t14 and there are more sockets to fill. Still bringing in decent money on trillium bars and golden lotus.

I am seeing cooking may prices going up. Plenty of folks offering 200g-300g for materials purchased with ironpaw tokens. Guessing that once everyone got to exalted with Tillers that they turned their farms into songbell factories, limiting the other mats.

Pretty much. Normal gems on my server are crazy cheap, and the rare ones go for only a few hundred gold if that (~110-250).

Meta gems are still stupid expensive though. Had to buy a Primal Diamond and get a guildie to cut it to the Agi one since I could never find one on the AH.

I've heard Cooking mats can bring in some decent money, but I haven't looked at prices on my sever's AH regarding that.

Lot of crap on my Black Market last night though. Had like 7-8 items listed including the Azure Drake and that coveted Fishing Chair.

Bizazedo

We pretty much hit it dead-on in our first week kill (I was definitely undergeared then, can't really speak for others). Since then, though, it's been extended (DBM hadn't been updated to account for the extra few minutes last I heard), and we've been tending to do the dogs as a 25 thanks to our Wednesday attendance. Our 25 performance goes a little past what the enrage timer *was*.
What's the enrage timer up to these days?

I think I'm reaching 50k+. I don't have any addons yet though, but I'm like ilvl 470.

Is there any reference for how much you should be doing based on ilvl and class/spec? I'm feeling really damn low... maybe 25k average for 451 BM. I'm gonna go back thru and take a couple of Mr. Robot suggestions but I'd like to know if I'm... performing.

Mind you, I still have a few greens on me that I'm not gonna blow enchants on (or a belt buckle on a 429) but yeah.

Is there any reference for how much you should be doing based on ilvl and class/spec? I'm feeling really damn low... maybe 25k average for 451 BM. I'm gonna go back thru and take a couple of Mr. Robot suggestions but I'd like to know if I'm... performing.

Mind you, I still have a few greens on me that I'm not gonna blow enchants on (or a belt buckle on a 429) but yeah.

BM Hunter? Maybe look up which is the best PVE spec.

There's also the case where burst specs could be more beneficial in fights with enrage, so your overall DPS doesn't really account for your worth during enrage or burn phases.

Look at sustained and burst damage.

Ultratech

25k? That seems awfully low for BM even with that gear.

In my current gear, I seem to be doing in the neighborhood of around ~43k. My initial burst is pretty damn high, but it drops from there. Granted, that number's come from the Headless Horseman fights.

I may do some target practice later tonight and see what I come up with now, since I finally got a nice upgrade or two. (Just need the damn Heroic cape to have all 463+ gear.)

Berordn

I can't say anything for hunters specifically, but askmrrobot's default values for a bunch of specs are... off. The optimizer still works well if you use stat weights you get from running a sim with your current gear, and make sure to get a second opinion as well, from something like wowreforge (again with your own stat weights).

Sra'vess Island is now a more pleasant questing destination. The roads are less crowded, and all players battling elite Mantid will now be awarded credit for the kill.

Nice Quality of Life improvement here. I'll miss the sneaking around bits, they kept the mission genuinely challenging. But at least jerk tank spec classes can't just round up 30 mobs and hog all the tags on elites anymore.

Tarazet

Yeah...

On that note, anyone have useful tips re: Boomkin, Shadow Priest, Retribution and Enhance?

Some tips for Boomkin: if you take Dream of Cenarius, use CC procs on Healing Touch then use the charges to refresh your DoTs during Eclipse states. Use Starsurge on cooldown. Use Starfall every time you have a Lunar Eclipse. Use Incarnation with your trinket and Troll haste racial during an eclipse, then Celestial Alignment after Incarnation falls off (the Noxxic guide gets this wrong, if you use CA right after the first Eclipse falls off you don't get the full benefit of Incarnation).

25k? That seems awfully low for BM even with that gear.

In my current gear, I seem to be doing in the neighborhood of around ~43k. My initial burst is pretty damn high, but it drops from there. Granted, that number's come from the Headless Horseman fights.

Yeah, that's why I was questioning it. It seems off. I might have something going on in my rotation as well.

I can't say anything for hunters specifically, but askmrrobot's default values for a bunch of specs are... off. The optimizer still works well if you use stat weights you get from running a sim with your current gear, and make sure to get a second opinion as well, from something like wowreforge (again with your own stat weights).

Good to know. I'll mess around with WoW Reforge later then to see what that suggests

I clicked Exit Game and everything just froze. I tabbed out and tried to End Task on WoW but there was a ~60 second stall. Finally it terminates but everything is super slow. Can't open task manager, can't click anything (infinite hourglass). Finally several task managers opened. Still cant reboot so I force shutdown. I had to go back to work from my lunch break at home so I haven't tried booting it again but I'm afraid something is majorly wrong.

Anybody have this happen to them?

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I clicked Exit Game and everything just froze. I tabbed out and tried to End Task on WoW but there was a ~60 second stall. Finally it terminates but everything is super slow. Can't open task manager, can't click anything (infinite hourglass). Finally several task managers opened. Still cant reboot so I force shutdown. I had to go back to work from my lunch break at home so I haven't tried booting it again but I'm afraid something is majorly wrong.

Anybody have this happen to them?
Not that particularly, but I do experience some brief slowdowns when executing and terminating WoW.exe. I suggest you do the following to find out more info.

1. Check BIOS so that everything there is fine (processor mode etc.)
2. If everything is fine, reboot in Safe Mode or Last Known Good Configuration. I usually choose Safe Mode as it gives a bit more overview of the system.
3. Go to Event Viewer in Control Panel and see if anything strange is in the logs
4. If you don't find anything strange there, run WoW.exe and taskmgr.exe simultaneously and see if any extraordinary processes pop up during session and at time and after execution.

Rösti;43638436 said:
Not that particularly, but I do experience some brief slowdowns when executing and terminating WoW.exe. I suggest you do the following to find out more info.

1. Check BIOS so that everything there is fine (processor mode etc.)
2. If everything is fine, reboot in Safe Mode or Last Known Good Configuration. I usually choose Safe Mode as it gives a bit more overview of the system.
3. Go to Event Viewer in Control Panel and see if anything strange is in the logs
4. If you don't find anything strange there, run WoW.exe and taskmgr.exe simultaneously and see if any extraordinary processes pop up during session and at time and after execution.

Thanks, I was already planning to boot in safe mode (with networking) and running a full Malware Bytes scan just in case.

Tarazet

The gains was mostly fine, it's the cap :(

The cap is the killer. I've been doing all the dailies every day since I hit 90 week 1, have all the major factions at Revered except AC, but I can't take in valor fast enough to buy the gear that's unlocking for me. I've only bought one piece and that's the Klaxxi legs. Because the pool is so limited, I'm saving up until AC revered so I can get the boots next, since I already have an epic helm, chest, shoulders, gloves, and legs. They said that JP gear was going to be no more than a stopgap on the way to heroic gear, but now it feels like the VP gear is only a stopgap on the way to a full raiding set for the serious players.

JCizzle

I still don't understand why the rep gear wasn't gold purchased like always with a separate valor vendor. Seems like a totally unnecessary change IMO. Double gating gear is... odd.

B-Dex

I still don't understand why the rep gear wasn't gold purchased like always with a separate valor vendor. Seems like a totally unnecessary change IMO. Double gating gear is... odd.

Because blizz likes to pretend content is done when really it isn't. Hence why even the newest tier gear is not available yet. (Except from sha of anger)

Neki

If they didn't have a valor cap, wouldn't all the gear be a lower iLevel? Granted, I wouldn't mind, but does that mean all the stuff would be like iL476?

B-Dex

You can only hold 3k at a time anyways. So you could buy an expensive piece that is almost 3k and have to go farm more valor to get anything else.

As it stands you can only get 1k per week to a max of 3k total. So basically it'll take 3 weeks for one piece of gear. On top of having to get revered or higher on a faction.

Berordn

If they didn't have a valor cap, wouldn't all the gear be a lower iLevel? Granted, I wouldn't mind, but does that mean all the stuff would be like iL476?

Probably, which would probably make it the baseline for entering normal mode MSV, which would work against the idea of making faction stuff optional if you're not interested, as it currently exists as optional sources of loot if you're not having much luck in MSV or you've been playing fairly dedicated outside of raiding.

I don't think they executed it very well, but I can understand why they want to limit the efficacy of these sources of gear even outside the usual "just doing it for the sub fees" stuff.

Enosh

had a hilarious 25 man feng kill yesterday
third phase, everyone alive and topped off, boss at some 10%-ish and then we stack for the next velocity, I see the velocity bar running out, people are still stacked, 2s on the casting timer and people are still stacked I go "oh shit" scream on vent to gtfo, bam velocity ends, resonance immediately afterwards on 2 people who nuke 3/4 of the raid, good thing we still managed to down him otherwise there would be some very very pissed people and probably some gkicks :p

also is it just me or are the dbm timers a bit wrong for feng? like he cats epicenter before the epicenter CD timer runs out
oh and I hate the lighting fist bullshit, sometimes he doesn't cast it at all screwing up our rotation -.-

Rokam

Blue Post said:
To help raiders prepare their schedules for next week, we wanted to give everyone a brief heads-up that the Normal mode Heart of Fear will be debuting alone on Tuesday, and the Normal mode Terrace of Endless Spring will now open two weeks following the release of Normal Heart of Fear.

To help players focus on tackling these new encounters without feeling overwhelmed, we’ve decided to stagger the release of the two remaining raid zones. Heart of Fear should prove to be a challenging zone that will take the typical group some time to master, and players must defeat the Grand Empress Shek’zeer at the end of Heart of Fear before they may move on to Terrace of Endless Spring once that zone unlocks.

The unlock schedule for Looking For Raid modes for Heart of Fear and Terrace of Endless Spring is unaffected by this change. Heroic Heart of Fear will still be accessible to players who have cleared the zone on Normal difficulty.

We'll be posting an updated schedule when Heart of Fear goes live next week like we did for Mogu'shan Vaults. It should be two weeks between Heart of Fear and Normal Terrace opening.

Nevermind saw a blue responded, just didn't bother to fix their original post.

ch0mp

You can only hold 3k at a time anyways. So you could buy an expensive piece that is almost 3k and have to go farm more valor to get anything else.

As it stands you can only get 1k per week to a max of 3k total. So basically it'll take 3 weeks for one piece of gear. On top of having to get revered or higher on a faction.
That's the whole point. It's there to fill in the gaps not gear you up.

So I am installing the Pandaria trial (already had cata) and I am looking at the skill trees in Pandaria and they are pretty much non-existent! I mean before we got a point every level to spend, then it was changed to get a point every 2 or 3 levels to spend. Now you choose a specialization at 10 and that is pretty much it... I am not sure why Blizzard keeps doing this (with Diablo 3 aswell)

Anyways I just wanted to rant about that, I will probably still get hooked and pay again :( I love blizzard, wow, diablo ect, I just wish they would stop simplifying everything.

Rokam

So I am installing the Pandaria trial (already had cata) and I am looking at the skill trees in Pandaria and they are pretty much non-existent! I mean before we got a point every level to spend, then it was changed to get a point every 2 or 3 levels to spend. Now you choose a specialization at 10 and that is pretty much it... I am not sure why Blizzard keeps doing this (with Diablo 3 aswell)

Anyways I just wanted to rant about that, I will probably still get hooked and pay again :( I love blizzard, wow, diablo ect, I just wish they would stop simplifying everything.

The new system is actually really good. I was skeptical at first too, but I think it works a lot better than D3's talent system.

The new system is actually really good. I was skeptical at first too, but I think it works a lot better than D3's talent system.

If this 20gb file ever finishes I will try it out. I am sure it is fine, it is just frightening to see at first. Also quick question about classes. Are all classes pretty equal in Pandaria. I have been a rogue for 3 years or whatever but i am kind of over it. I am thinking of playing a balance druid, just for casual raiding / battlegrounds or whatever to switch it up.

Enosh

it really isn't simplifying

if anything it's made more complex, you never had really much choice in the previous talents, you went with a build posted on EJ/noxxic and that was it, at most you had 2 to 3 points left to spend whereever, but that had no impact on anything, now the talents are a lot more situational

edit: although the new system sucks for leveling, they are too many gaps where you don't get shit for 3-4 levels

The new talent system is definitely an improvement, though there are still some issues for certain classes with some tiers. Some talents are definitely very fringe choices, or very clearly PvP-only choices, others mostly useless, so there's definitely tuning to be done. But still better and more engaging than just adding points to increase the crit chance of that one spell. You know, talents that weren't actually choices. You do miss the joy of putting more twice as many points in, getting to click a button a receive many more (marginal) increases in power, but that's hardly reason to keep the old system.

And regarding DPS - even if your spec/class is on the lower tier of the expected DPS meters, everyone should be pulling at least somewhere in the 40k+ area with mostly heroic gear. Doesn't even have to be fully gemmed/enchanted (though that will help, obviously.) For these people that are low, check to see if they're even in appropriate gear (463 average) before making a comment on other things they might do to improve. Raiders should have at least boots from the Sha of Anger and 1 Valor Point item by now, in addition to a HH ring by the end of Hallow's End. If they still have some lower iLevel pieces at 440 or 450 that's fine, but gear worse than about 460 average and you're really just dragging them along for the ride, unless they're pulling numbers anyway. I usually prefer to check by Damage Done rather than DPS, as it gives a more accurate view, since DPS will raise or lower in various situations, but Damage Done will explicitly tell you who's slacking or not.

Slayerx

Did the new scenario on ptr and it was extremely fun. It's probably not balanced or anything but it was so difficult, the last boss :( I mean really hard, everyone died had to kite him for a minute, he summons literally endless waves of adds, ughhhhhhh.

B-Dex

I really don't get blizz. China and Korea get 2 lockouts meanwhile we're gonna delay releasing raid content since it'll be too hard for you guys to do everything.... OK.

Berordn

I really don't get blizz. China and Korea get 2 lockouts meanwhile we're gonna delay releasing raid content since it'll be too hard for you guys to do everything.... OK.

People are already complaining about too much to do. MSV progression is probably lower than they were expecting for the masses, too. Stone Guard and Feng are not to be taken lightly by the casual raider.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So do we know why DeathNote quit WoW?

ampere

They experiment with different lockout types for Korean realms. During Firelands they tried having the raid lockout reset 2 times a week.

Are you done with Mogu'shan Vaults since you want more raid content? Our guild is probably what you would call average and we had just finished normal modes last week. That means after only one week of heroic modes being available to us a new raid opens. I don't see how that isn't enough raid content. We are happy about the raids being staggered a bit, it's less overwhelming. I would imagine that a decent number of hardcore guilds also like the staggering so that they can focus on heroics from one raid with some time before the others are open.

Not to mention that most casual players will not clear Heart of Fear the first week it is opened, which was already a prerequisite for entering Terrace of Endless Spring. The delay by one week only affects guilds capable of clearing normal Heart of Fear in a single lockout, which is probably < 20% of guilds if Mogu'shan's first week is any indication.

Raiding with Leashes now rewards Mr. Bigglesworth.

Fuck, now I have to do this one. :D:D:D

Master Angler of Azeroth now is awarded to anyone who wins first, second, or third place.

Nice change for anyone who has had trouble getting this, especially on high-pop realms. Fishing tourneys are still disabled as far as I know. Would still sort of like to grab the pole from the Booty Bay one (have the trinket.) Northrend contest is still kind of screwy IMO, but the ring would be really nice. Don't know how much of shot I'd have on Mal'Ganis though. At the very least I could still go for it on my old realm since I plan to transfer my Shaman eventually.

Death Strike now only heals based on the damage you have sustained from non-player sources.

Pretty big PvP nerf for all DKs, not just Blood ones (though I will admit there was a problem with Blood in PvP.)

Mass Dispel now dispels one effect, rather than all of them.

Boo this change. (Probably PvP-centric.)

-Blind now has a 1.5 min cooldown, up from 1.
-Sprint now has a 60 sec cooldown, up from 45.

They keep tweaking these :( I think Blind is still buffed, but Sprint has gone back to normal levels.

Potion of Luck now requires 1 Golden Lotus, down from 3. Now lasts 20 minutes, down from 60.

Meh? Still no one gonna use those things at the cost.

Ella's Critter Snack Offer a delicious snack to a pest, hopefully making it go away. Can only be used in Sunsong Ranch.

This may be convenient if I don't have to kill shit every time I farm. Definitely the most annoying out of all the possible effects, I end up just rounding them all up and AoEing them down if I get more than one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom