• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZenaxPure

Decided to try some endless mode DPS in proving grounds, it's a pretty big step up over gold (which was pretty easy). You have to take full advantage of the stun from the Mantid dudes or some waves are pretty much impossible to beat the timer on.

mclem

Has anyone had any thoughts about how to allocate Spirits of War from a maximising guild progression standpoint?

With previous crafted epics we've gone with a policy of that tier's Spirits go into the guild bank, people apply to recieve epics on the guild forum, and every week or so we figure out who would get the next epic via normal loot rules and assign the spirits for it accordingly.

This time 'round, though, it's a bit more complicated. Spirits appear to be *optional* to the crafting of the items for the epics; they're just used to circumvent the weekly cooldown. On top of that, for Blacksmithing at least, the Balanced Trillium Bar is soulbound, so we can't just manufacture a bunch of them then keep them stored in the guild bank; if we were making an item, the spirits would have to be funnelled through to the person who deserves them. Finally, it's entirely possible for a person to craft an item with no need for any guild intervention nor purchasing spirits from the AH.

There's also a question of charging. We use EPGP, and it was reasonable beforehand for the guild to basically fully cover the cost of manufacturing the epic (in the form of supplying mats and spirits), and in doing so it was logical to charge the GP cost for the item. This time around, though, the item can easily be partly-funded by the player recieving it - but I'm trying to figure out how - if at all - that should affect the cost. The allocation and DKP charges have always been from the mentality of "How much did the guild as a whole help you to get this item?", but in this instance it's more a case of the guild as a whole *speeding up* the process of getting the item. How to quantify that?

Tacitus_

Has anyone had any thoughts about how to allocate Spirits of War from a maximising guild progression standpoint?

With previous crafted epics we've gone with a policy of that tier's Spirits go into the guild bank, people apply to recieve epics on the guild forum, and every week or so we figure out who would get the next epic via normal loot rules and assign the spirits for it accordingly.

This time 'round, though, it's a bit more complicated. Spirits appear to be *optional* to the crafting of the items for the epics; they're just used to circumvent the weekly cooldown. On top of that, for Blacksmithing at least, the Balanced Trillium Bar is soulbound, so we can't just manufacture a bunch of them then keep them stored in the guild bank; if we were making an item, the spirits would have to be funnelled through to the person who deserves them.

Celestial Cloth is also soulbound. My opinion is (which holds no concrete weight in my guild since I'm not an officer) , bank the spirits and use them to boost the crafting of the bop mats when it's decided someone needs a new piece faster than the daily cooldown allows.

But who knows what we'll do. Previously in my guild you could just ask for the spirits if you needed them to your main spec on your raiding char.

mclem

I've just struck upon a third problem, which is quite simply the fact that our crafters are churning out the Balanced Trillium Bars (and equivalent) off their own bat, currently. Partly to stockpile, partly to learn patterns. They're doing that with their own mats, of course. We certainly don't want to *discourage* this practice, but I can't help but feel that they should be remunerated for their contribution if, in the end, they're not crafting anything they want. And, of course, they might - understandably - be reluctant to craft things for the guild if they have their own hearts set on something.

Maybe that's a form the remuneration could take; in return for crafting an item, allow them to choose between the mats + a spirit to replace it or a nominal gold cost to cover the mat? The guild bank is suitably wealthy.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I did the first 2 bosses in Flex last night and got a 540 chest, which is nice.

Overall I am digging flex. Requires more actual thought and attention to mechanics than LFR but is still forgiving enough that any group of people who are appropriately geared and attentive can figure out the encounter mechanics after a couple of attempts. We probably would have cleared the whole wing but there were a lot of delays due to people being awful at time budgeting RL shit and wow time.

I sure hope they don't expect the Timeless Isle to last until the next expansion, cause that is quite a ways off.

I don't think it's really meant to "last" as an end-game area, since it's primary function is to quickly gear up alts to move on to other content.

mclem

I recall rolling my eyes at a heroic raider on the official forums who was lamenting that Flex didn't have enough instakill mechanics.

I don't know why people put the official forums down all the time, they're *endlessly* hilarious.

Jag

I sure hope they don't expect the Timeless Isle to last until the next expansion, cause that is quite a ways off.

Well the tagline for Timeless Isle is "take your time" so I think the answer is yes. Blizz knows player habits and timeframes. While people will burnout on SoO and TI, the next XP announcement will generate interest as will the beta. Subs always drop off at the end of an expansion, but I think the interest around beta testing bumps it back up again.

Boogdud

Kinda want to change my rogue to a Troll after the new Warchief reveal :p Berserking isn't as good as Epicurean, but I think Trolls look cool :p

I would change my rogue to a troll in a heartbeat if they'd let me hide those feet, or update the model. I really like the way they look from the ankles up...

Bizazedo

You get to the ship from the bridge, right? Still haven't done that event.

No, it's north of the Horde flightpath.

The flame guy I assume is Cinderfall and he has an incredibly fun rare item. Too bad it only has 50 charges.

I launched myself from the Horde shrine and hit the wall of the Alliance shrine, dying hilariously. I also got the spacing down to shoot myself from near where Champions of the Black Flame spawn to land near the Alliance flightpath in the water.

Probably not, but the island has an immense amount to do. Just depends on the preferences and if you like achievements.

JCizzle

No, it's north of the Horde flightpath.

The flame guy I assume is Cinderfall and he has an incredibly fun rare item. Too bad it only has 50 charges.

I launched myself from the Horde shrine and hit the wall of the Alliance shrine, dying hilariously. I also got the spacing down to shoot myself from near where Champions of the Black Flame spawn to land near the Alliance flightpath in the water.

Probably not, but the island has an immense amount to do. Just depends on the preferences and if you like achievements.

Hmm ok, thanks. Will explore that tonight.

strafer

Oh Sylvanas
''Warchief Vol'Jin." Does it sound absurd to you, class? I, for one, certainly won't be taking orders from a troll.

But, he put this little coalition together, and won the day. He's also proven to be impossible to kill - I admire that.

Time to test what he's made of...

CassSept

After MoP Lor'themar > Sylvanas. True story.

Damn I find Timeless Isle so annoying. So much stupid grinding, elites that die instantly with no chance of catching up to them and these darn albatroses. Eh. I prefer dailys tbh.

ampere

I consider myself a good tank, and I was surprised by how difficult I was finding Gold. You can't just fall into a rotation, you've got to be really on the ball with pickups and positioning, stuns, interrupts. On Saturday I had a bit of lag and that made it a real struggle to get past wave six or so. Had several more attempts on Sunday and finally got it, but it was a big challenge.

One thing I don't fully understand is health patterns. Sometimes I'm easily topped up, and sometimes I'm fluctuating wildly in the 20-40% health bracket, and I'm not entirely sure why. I wonder if there's some nuance in how the friendly NPC heals you. If you're out of range when she wants to reapply her HoT, does she not reapply it when you get back in range?

If I must criticise it, it's not really great training for *boss* tanking. It's great for trash, but when was the last time trash was particularly challenging yet was expected to be AoEd down?

I don't think the NPC's healing is reliable, you pretty much have to react with self heals (which screws over warriors I guess). Proving Grounds feel like solo Challenge Modes, which is another type of content where trash is the hardest part and it has a reward for a certain progress level and then leaderboards for beyond that.

ZenaxPure

I don't think the NPC's healing is reliable, you pretty much have to react with self heals (which screws over warriors I guess).

It's also worth noting that her renewing mist is LoS dependent, so you can screw yourself over if you aren't careful with the barricades (which cause LoS).

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

There's no reason to expect they don't. I personally think Timeless Isle is a decent idea that's not really ready for primetime. Right now its just the aimless grinding grounds.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'm gonna be salty if Sylvanas turns into a villain. We already killed the Warchief, can we at least kill an Alliance leader before we start offing more Horde leaders?

Well... we would need an Alliance leader that looks somewhat evil and untrustworthy like Garrosh before he turned into a raid boss or how Sylvanas looks currently, but they don't really have that. The closest thing they had was the Dark Iron Princess from the Dwarven Council, but she recently proved that she can be trusted... so i dunno.

cdyhybrid

Well... we would need an Alliance leader that looks somewhat evil and untrustworthy like Garrosh before he turned into a raid boss or how Sylvanas looks currently, but they don't really have that. The closest thing they had was the Dark Iron Princess from the Dwarven Council, but she recently proved that she can be trusted... so i dunno.

We have Jaina!

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
We have Jaina!

Oooh yeah... she's turning quite "evilish". Forgot about her, for some reason i was only thinking about race leaders. But then... a lot of Alliance(all of them?) wants to destroy the Horde... so, meh. Varian was just showing some honor after SoO, because..."yo, i'm the King!"

cdyhybrid

Oooh yeah... she's turning quite "evilish". Forgot about her, for some reason i was only thinking about race leaders. But then... a lot of Alliance(all of them?) wants to destroy the Horde... so, meh.

It would be easy to walk her down a Garrosh path...she wants to strike the Horde at a weak point and isn't concerned with collateral damage to some innocents...someone that isn't crazy tries to stop her...she loses her shit and goes off the deeper end (she already went off the deep end).

Tacitus_

iOrp12c.jpg

[21:51:27] High Overlord Saurfang says: Ah, more of Vol'jin's revolutionaries. You've made it.
[21:51:35] High Overlord Saurfang says: Have you found Thrall? I am badly hurt, he insisted on going ahead alone.
[21:51:43] High Overlord Saurfang says: Tell me, how goes the battle up above? What of Nazgrim? Speak to me!
[21:51:50] High Overlord Saurfang says: Ah, Nazgrim. A great leader and a fine warrior. He valued his oath to the Warchief more than his life.
[21:52:01] High Overlord Saurfang says: I tried to tell him... to tell him that Hellscrem betrayed us, cast aside a Warchief's responsibility to his own people. But Nazgrim... too loyal... too proud.
[21:52:15] High Overlord Saurfang says: Damn Hellscream. His ambition tore our Horde apart.
[21:52:22] High Overlord Saurfang says: Go on, find Thrall. Finish this. I will live.

---

[21:54:41] Kil'ruk the Wind-Reaver yells: Look brothers, the Wakener is here!
[21:54:46] Rik'kal the Dissector yells: They made it this far? I told you the others needed some micro-sonic genetic alterations.
[21:54:53] Iyyokuk the Lucid yells: How illogical, did they not hear your warning Kil'ruk?
[21:54:59] Xaril the Poisoned Mind yells: We Mantid serve a power far greater than they or their gods.
[21:55:06] Kaz'tik the Manipulator yells: It matters not, the Old One will not suffer their intrusion.
[21:55:12] Korven the Prime yells: We have endured the Usurpers, their children, the loss of the Old One, and soon... you.
[21:55:23] Ka'roz the Locust yells: We will slay you all as easily as we slew the Pandaren of old.
[21:55:30] Skeer the Bloodseeker yells: And then the Old One will remake this world for the Mantid!
[21:55:37] Hisek the Swarmkeeper yells: Come children of the Titans, you face the Paragons.

JCizzle

There's no reason to expect they don't. I personally think Timeless Isle is a decent idea that's not really ready for primetime. Right now its just the aimless grinding grounds.

Yeah, I agree with this totally. Rares die way too fast for example. I'd like it if they expanded the mini event idea with events that unwind over 10-15 minutes before the boss spawns so you know to get there.

Tacitus_

Pretty cool reset, cleared 13/14 of the raid. I have to admit, I'm surprised. It took several weeks to get this close in ToT and over a month to clear it.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
SoO seems designed with Heroic as the "real" progression mode.

Which is something I'm fine with. LFR as babbys first raid, flex as "i actually know how to play the game but don't fit the raiding guild mold for one way or another", and normal essentially just being the ramp-up to the REAL SHIT.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The Paragons being there doesn't make any sense. Garrosh doesn't seem to have any intent at all to resurrect Y'shaarj.

The Paragons being there doesn't make any sense. Garrosh doesn't seem to have any intent at all to resurrect Y'shaarj.

I kind of had the same reaction to that one. The Klaxxi were the first Mists faction I maxed out my rep with and their final quest
(essentially a walking cutscene) makes it pretty clear that they are only swayed by the will of the Old Gods.
Maybe its simply that Garrosh had the heart and all, that he had in some way been working with (or at least in proximity to) an Old God that brings them over to his side... Either way it still seemed a bit out of place.

Tacitus_

Sure seems so. Nothing wrong with that, of course. I think we'll farm for a bit before dabbling into the heroics.

I kind of had the same reaction to that one. The Klaxxi were the first Mists faction I maxed out my rep with and their final quest
(essentially a walking cutscene) makes it pretty clear that they are only swayed by the will of the Old Gods.
Maybe its simply that Garrosh had the heart and all, that he had in some way been working with (or at least in proximity to) an Old God that brings them over to his side... Either way it still seemed a bit out of place.

I faintly remember this being given as a reason from the blues.

Angry Grimace

Maybe its simply that Garrosh had the heart and all, that he had in some way been working with an Old God that brings them over to his side... Either way it still seemed a bit out of place.

The thing that is odd to me is that unlike some other characters (e.g. the Titanic Watchers), Garrosh isn't really corrupted by Y'shaarj's power so much as he's just using remnants of it to empower himself. In that respect, it makes no sense to me that they're simultaneously opposing the Sha of Fear (who is a remnant of Y'shaarj itself) but supporting Garrosh.

It might make sense if they threw their support to N'zoth, who is apparently the only Old God left who is alive.

Anoregon

From the dungeon journal:

When Garrosh unearthed the heart of Y'Shaarj, the paragons followed the whispers of their ancient creator to the iron halls beneath Orgrimmar.

So they aren't there for Garrosh at all, really. While Y'shaarj is still pretty much dead, the heart being dumped into the Vale waters gave it enough juice for the Klaxxi to notice, and they were summoned to protect it. I doubt the Paragons really give a shit about Garrosh one way or another, he's just a means to an end of potentially reviving their true master.

The difference with Sha of Fear is that the sha, while spawned from Y'shaarj, are essentially separate, independent entities. Y'shaarj was still very much dead during the whole Dread Wastes/HoF situation, so at that point the only concern of the Klaxxi was the purity/strength of the swarm, which they saw as being threatened by Fear.

The way I figure it, they couldn't care less about Garrosh and his plans. They just want to protect the hearth.

As for N'zoth, I know he's technically the last one left that we know the name of, but Bliz has been very vague (purposely I would think) on the subject of just how many Old Gods there really are. To the best of my knowledge, Y'Shaarj was the only one that the Titans managed to kill. All the others were either locked away or disappeared into hiding, with N'zoth being chief among those whom they were unable to actually locate.

Ryan_

[21:51:27] High Overlord Saurfang says: Ah, more of Vol'jin's revolutionaries. You've made it.
[21:51:35] High Overlord Saurfang says: Have you found Thrall? I am badly hurt, he insisted on going ahead..... .

Thanks for the occasional RP stuff! I love the lore but just can't be arsed to come back to the game and pay and invest again. So thanks for keeping me up to date!

ampere

I think people with full heroic 2/2 ToT gear are just quite a bit above the tuned ilevel for normal SoO.

Otherwise I think the instance is tuned the same level as last tier. Normal will be progression for people who mainly do normals, heroic for people who do heroics, nothing changed.

Entropia

No One Remembers
I think people with full heroic 2/2 ToT gear are just quite a bit above the tuned ilevel for normal SoO.

Otherwise I think the instance is tuned the same level as last tier. Normal will be progression for people who mainly do normals, heroic for people who do heroics, nothing changed.

Pretty much.

ZenaxPure

Yeah. The same thing happened last expansion. I think the thing most people have to keep in mind is that the first raid tier of the expansion is generally when people are still getting a feel of things and putting together raid guilds and such. By the second raid tier people usually get more time to clear the content and prepare for the final raid tier. Same thing happened to my guild last expansion, we didn't seriously start BWD/BoT until March or so, but, were at FL day one and eventually got fully heroic geared so when DS came out we managed to kill Deathwing in the very first week. Normal DS wasn't a ton easier than normal FL, we just had far better gear.

Also @ evermaw hate, suck it haters should have done Anglers mwahahahaha. I ride around on my raft stabbing him not giving a single fuck.

Angry Grimace

Yup. 2 Secrets all week.

I unsubbed.

I wish I did

Yeah. The same thing happened last expansion. I think the thing most people have to keep in mind is that the first raid tier of the expansion is generally when people are still getting a feel of things and putting together raid guilds and such. By the second raid tier people usually get more time to clear the content and prepare for the final raid tier. Same thing happened to my guild last expansion, we didn't seriously start BWD/BoT until March or so, but, were at FL day one and eventually got fully heroic geared so when DS came out we managed to kill Deathwing in the very first week. Normal DS wasn't a ton easier than normal FL, we just had far better gear.

Also @ evermaw hate, suck it haters should have done Anglers mwahahahaha. I ride around on my raft stabbing him not giving a single fuck.

The cursed swabby helmet takes 5 minutes to get and you swim faster than Evermaw does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom