• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hunter's LFR went 100% smooth... DK on the other hand. Joined at Norushen with a stack of determination. So far it's been 50 minutes and we've managed two attempts, oh boy!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Hunter's LFR went 100% smooth... DK on the other hand. Joined at Norushen with a stack of determination. So far it's been 50 minutes and we've managed two attempts, oh boy!

I joined with a stack of two and one-shot it. I'm not sure I even understand what the mechanic is supposed to be on LFR - all you do is Kill adds, avoid super easy beam, kill more adds.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
2 Runestones today. This is going to take awhile even with the buff drop rate. At least I got 2 pieces of SoO gear.

Its just more pulls on the same slot machine, unfortunately.

Blizz seriously should ban people who never survived on Durumu from SoO LFR. We had 5 fucking people die in first two attempts to the slow as hell beam on Norushen making us hit enrage both times. Speaking of him, fuck that fight. 537 ilvl and I do shit dps on that fight because RNG hates me. Won nothing in that run despite using a coin on Sha of Pride.

cdyhybrid

Yeah, Norushen and Sha of Pride are clusterfucks in LFR. Lots of standing in shit.

10/12 Runestones and I still have the new 4 bosses in Flex to kill...but will I be able to find a Flex raid this week? I'll be gone the whole weekend =\

Cipherr

Just came from LFR. Took 4 stacks of Determination to kill the boss with the laser that circles the room, but we 2 shot the Sha. It was easy once we understood the spread/collapse mechanics. Very very easy. OTOH those other fights were frustrating. DPS dying all over the place.

Westlo

The best part about Burdens of Eternity is wasting them on objectively useless items. I got an agility ring with 950 expertise on it. That's all. I vendored it. Thanks, Blizzard! (Expertise is bad enough for Rogues that most calculators will tell you that you want it less than every other stat even under cap).

Yeah I don't like how you have to waste the burden on a token, it's pretty rng as it is when you use a token, adding a far harder to get burden to that rng sucks.

Fjordson

God, I need more hours in the day. Between GTA V, Siege of Orgrimmar and getting my legendary cloak my limited gaming time is stuffed.

CassSept

Yeah I don't like how you have to waste the burden on a token, it's pretty rng as it is when you use a token, adding a far harder to get burden to that rng sucks.

My main is rogue and the first burden I used landed me with a dreaded "of the Galeburst" helm.... +exp/+hit hell yeah that's amazing :/ Times like that make reforging an amazing tool because I can drop all the excess expertise into haste and that makes it slightly less painful. I've had enough of hit for that expansion though.

My main is rogue and the first burden I used landed me with a dreaded "of the Galeburst" helm.... +exp/+hit hell yeah that's amazing :/ Times like that make reforging an amazing tool because I can drop all the excess expertise into haste and that makes it slightly less painful. I've had enough of hit for that expansion though.

First item my friend used a burden on he got a helm with just hit. I've been lucky on my mage so far with burden's getting crit/haste bracers (although I replaced them already), hit/crit belt, hit/mastery boots, and mastery/haste ring.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Went 2/14 in Normal mode tonight. Our tank kept dying in the spirit realm. He says his interrupt (hes a warrior) wasn't working and he was getting one shotted. Argh.

mclem

Went 2/14 in Normal mode tonight. Our tank kept dying in the spirit realm. He says his interrupt (hes a warrior) wasn't working and he was getting one shotted. Argh.

I think there's something a bit screwy with Warriors on Norushen. I've had absolutely no problem in the tank challenge as a paladin, but the two warriors I've run with (one MT, one alt on a day the MT couldn't make it) were about 50/50 on survival.

All I've gathered of note is that you can spell reflect the Hurl. Gives you a decent shot of killing the mob. For what it's worth I run 90 degrees around him on *every* warning, and only *then* worry about whether it's the cone or not.

Westlo

lol @ half the LFR leaving after killing the 3rd boss. Got shoulders for my warrior which was pretty good since I was still using the 489 epic shoulders from the barrens event, never got a plate shoulder token to drop.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
What's the easiest way to get Burdens of Eternity? 50000 coins is a lot for a single one, rare monsters haven't drop any for me yet and the Blazing Chest, or whatever its called, just outside of Ordos Sanctuary with a 100% chance for one wasn't there yesterday. I was sure that chest was a weekly one. Is it one time only?

Tacitus_

I think there's something a bit screwy with Warriors on Norushen. I've had absolutely no problem in the tank challenge as a paladin, but the two warriors I've run with (one MT, one alt on a day the MT couldn't make it) were about 50/50 on survival.

All I've gathered of note is that you can spell reflect the Hurl. Gives you a decent shot of killing the mob. For what it's worth I run 90 degrees around him on *every* warning, and only *then* worry about whether it's the cone or not.

Yeah, I had humongous troubles staying alive on my warrior when we did an alt flex run. Spell reflecting the spell you normally would interrupt is supposed to cheese it, but I only found out after the run so I couldn't verify it myself.

aesop

I just wish they'd give them a bit more HP. If you're not close when a rare spawns you're not getting there.

Overall I like Timeless Isle. There is absolutely no need to rush/farm that place. I think Blizzard nailed it but most people are so used to the MoP rep grind that it's hard to slow down when a new faction is introduced.

CassSept

Because with the perfectly working hp scaling system in place we have a bunch of rares that die faster than they spawn. I can see a rare spawn on my minimap and not be able to land a single hit.

Yeah timewasting is the point but they went WAY too far. "Going to need a bigger bag" is a ludicrous achievement that requires more time wasted than Insane in the Membrane. To boot we get possibly the worst grind since Ahn'qiraj with Shaohao rep. SoO looks great, but Timeless Isle is dumber than dumb, almost like an experiment on how far they can push the fanbase.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Because with the perfectly working hp scaling system in place we have a bunch of rares that die faster than they spawn. I can see a rare spawn on my minimap and not be able to land a single hit.

Yeah timewasting is the point but they went WAY too far. "Going to need a bigger bag" is a ludicrous achievement that requires more time wasted than Insane in the Membrane. To boot we get possibly the worst grind since Ahn'qiraj with Shaohao rep. SoO looks great, but Timeless Isle is dumber than dumb, almost like an experiment on how far they can push the fanbase.

Their logic, and it's mostly right is that Shaohao isn't a 'required' rep grind. You get nothing out of it that advances your character in a meaningful way. All you get out of it is a mount and some vanity stuff and self-satisfaction that you beat it.

Bizazedo

Their logic, and it's mostly right is that Shaohao isn't a 'required' rep grind. You get nothing out of it that advances your character in a meaningful way. All you get out of it is a mount and some vanity stuff and self-satisfaction that you beat it.

Pretty much this, Entropia beat me to it.

Everything you're complaining about is completely optional. I grinded hardcore to get to honored, but once I hit it....hell after I banged out the daily and weekly yesterday I wandered off and tried Proving Grounds.

Nothing that's left for me to do, including the mount acquisitions, can't be done later.

There's no reason for me to keep pushing as hard as I was. Hell, even the Honorable rep wasn't necessary, I just wanted to make sure there were no other dailies / weeklies I had access to before I ratcheted down (and even that's my fault since a little research would've solved that).

And yes I am already over 100k coins.

Honestly? The only part of Timeless Isle they messed up (imo) is Ordos and the Bloody Coins. And not even the Censer.

The Oath item costs 50 bloody coins. It turns you into a Yaungol, has a 1 hour cooldown, only lasts 10 minutes, has a chance (10%?!) to get you a bloody coin when inflicting a killing blow, and doesn't allow you to mount!

It has way too many restrictions in place and it needs to be unnerfed slightly, at least on PvE servers where the supply of targets isn't guaranteed, especially as time goes on. I actually landed 5 KB's last night in BGs while using it and got zero coins (and I was cussing the whole time wishing I was ranged).

Other than that, though..

CassSept

Just because something is optional doesn't mean it cannot be criticized. If they made a bonus raid encounter that consisted of raid members having to jump into lava and die 60 times in 4 hours and gave you title "the Awesome" would it be ok simply because it's 'optional'?

Angry Grimace

Pretty much this, Entropia beat me to it.

Everything you're complaining about is completely optional. I grinded hardcore to get to honored, but once I hit it....hell after I banged out the daily and weekly yesterday I wandered off and tried Proving Grounds.

Nothing that's left for me to do, including the mount acquisitions, can't be done later.

There's no reason for me to keep pushing as hard as I was. Hell, even the Honorable rep wasn't necessary, I just wanted to make sure there were no other dailies / weeklies I had access to before I ratcheted down (and even that's my fault since a little research would've solved that).

And yes I am already over 100k coins.

Honestly? The only part of Timeless Isle they messed up (imo) is Ordos and the Bloody Coins. And not even the Censer.

The Oath item costs 50 bloody coins. It turns you into a Yaungol, has a 1 hour cooldown, only lasts 10 minutes, has a chance (10%?!) to get you a bloody coin when inflicting a killing blow, and doesn't allow you to mount!

It has way too many restrictions in place and it needs to be unnerfed slightly, at least on PvE servers where the supply of targets isn't guaranteed, especially as time goes on. I actually landed 5 KB's last night in BGs while using it and got zero coins (and I was cussing the whole time wishing I was ranged).

Other than that, though..
I don't get the defense that "X is completely optional." Everything in the game is completely optional because it doesn't have an ending. There's nothing wrong with saying content is a slogfest when its a slogfest. The fact that you don't "have" to do it makes no difference.

Timeless Isle's biggest problem is that its totally aimless; moreover, the fact that Burdens of Eternity can create straight up BAD items around half the time is kind of a killer to bothering with trying to get them. I have 5 of them on my Rogue and two of them have created useless items that are worse than 522s off the SPA vendor.

Bizazedo

Just because something is optional doesn't mean it cannot be criticized. If they made a bonus raid encounter that consisted of raid members having to jump into lava and die 60 times in 4 hours and gave you title "the Awesome" would it be ok simply because it's 'optional'?

Honestly? It'd be okay, yes. Stupid and not interesting, but still okay.

The main things Entropia and I were responding to is your complaints that you can't do everything immediately when they're designed to take a long time.

The mob HP scaling one is a good criticism, imo, because even Huolon is dying in less than a minute at this point now that people have the approximate spawn times down. That kind of sucks.

The other two, though, the Bigger Bag and the rep grind? I don't know if I can agree with you there since I don't see why it's not okay to have things like that that take a long time.

I don't get the defense that "X is completely optional." Everything in the game is completely optional because it doesn't have an ending. There's nothing wrong with saying content is a slogfest when its a slogfest. The fact that you don't "have" to do it makes no difference.

Timeless Isle's biggest problem is that its totally aimless; moreover, the fact that Burdens of Eternity can create straight up BAD items around half the time is kind of a killer to bothering with trying to get them. I have 5 of them on my Rogue and two of them have created useless items that are worse than 522s off the SPA vendor.

You're skewing what we mean by optional.

We mean optional in the sense that it's flair. It doesn't progress your character in terms of power or raid progression. If I don't complete the rep grind or the bigger bag achievement, it doesn't hurt me at all or put me behind you or a Yoshichan who might've finished.

And honestly, some people enjoy long goals like this. It's okay if you don't. I think Insane in the Membrane is an insane achievement, but some people like it.

The Burden of Eternity we weren't debating and I've agreed with you on that.

Angry Grimace

You're skewing what we mean by optional.

We mean optional in the sense that it's flair. It doesn't progress your character in terms of power or raid progression. If I don't complete the rep grind or the bigger bag achievement, it doesn't hurt me at all or put me behind you or a Yoshichan who might've finished.

And honestly, some people enjoy long goals like this. It's okay if you don't. I think Insane in the Membrane is an insane achievement, but some people like it.

The Burden of Eternity we weren't debating and I've agreed with you on that.

But therein lies the problem, I think. Most of the previous side-content we could compare it to at least advanced your character in some meaningful way towards the raid content. Gearing your character to go to SOO LFR takes literally 2 or 3 hours on TI. The rest of it is just stuff you have no real reason to do, e.g. aimless wandering.

It just seems like an experiment in making content like Molten Front or Isle of Thunder not seem outwardly like a slog, but in reality making them a huge slog. I don't hate the idea, but I also don't think its entirely mature yet.

Bizazedo

But therein lies the problem, I think. Most of the previous side-content we could compare it to at least advanced your character in some meaningful way towards the raid content. Gearing your character to go to SOO LFR takes literally 2 or 3 hours on TI. The rest of it is just stuff you have no real reason to do, e.g. aimless wandering.

To you, sure.

I'm glad Kirblar mentioned 9999 problems. It's the same thing.

It's a bigger place to go, mess around, hunt for a rare item you might like (Cinderfall's is amazing. Blackflame Daggers are fun. The weather stones are cool).

Plus tons of pets, an EASY way to start the week off with 250 valor (375 if you capped the week before), and supply your alts with gear.....whom you can then go play. And obviously aren't, but still.

What you essentially just said is "I don't care about pets, vanity items, easy valor, and also don't like grinding mobs if it doesn't make me more powerful in some way eventually".

Which is fine, but again, other people do. Especially as the grind in this case is just to vanity type stuff. Which some players live for.

Hell, I'm probably going to go to the island nearly as much anymore now, but even I can see the pet stuff is cool.

[EDIT: CLARIFICATION]

I am definitely not saying you're wrong, by the way. Cass I think is complaining about the design of those two long term goals because he doesn't like the long term nature of them, but even that doesn't make him wrong either.

What really matters is if there's enough in 5.4 for all the player types to enjoy it. I.e., those who think Timeless Isle is awesome versus those who don't. The ones who don't, if there's a sizeable amount of those player types and they're not being satisfied by SoO either, then Blizzard messed up. My opinion doesn't matter and Blizzard needs to cater to the majority.

TimeKillr

Ah, yeah. This is ridiculous. Our Warrior tank is now able to clear the flex mode of this encounter with me with him going in.

His biggest advice for it is this: KEEP SHIELD BLOCK UP AT ALL TIMES.

What's killing Warriors in there is Piercing Corruption. Hurl Corruption is able to be spell reflected and interrupted, so that's simple. But Piercing Corruption does a TON of damage, and they'll constantly be ticking damage from the dot that if you don't mitigate Piercing Corruption you'll essentially die.

This is what it comes down to, for the tanking challenge:
Cone attack: Tests your avoiding the fire skills
Hurl Corruption: Tests your interrupt skills
Piercing Corruption: Tests your active mitigation skills
Burst of Corruption: Tests your EH

The biggest thing, it seems, is that most Warriors don't seem to focus on their active mitigation a lot (which is mostly Shield Block), so this trial seems to be MUCH harder than it should be.

Piercing Corruption cannot be absorbed, but it can be dodged, parried and blocked. This is where the active mitigation comes in - every tanking class has some form of active mitigation to help reduce the damage from it.

Blood DKs (me) have Death Strike, which will heal it up quite a bit.
Warriors have Shield Block.
Paladins have Shield of the Righteous.
Monks have Elusive Brew (you should be able to dodge it 100%)
Druid have Savage Defense and Frenzied Regeneration

You just have to actively use it, know the timers from DBM and make sure you use it thoroughly on EVERY Piercing Corruption.

The biggest problem Warriors have with this, however, is that all the other tanking classes have good self-healing options, so it's a bit better in terms of being able to make a mistake. Warriors have a SINGLE self-heal on a long cooldown that won't work that well.

That's the trick, imo. Warriors need to be very pro-active in using Shield Block for Piercing Corruption, as it is THAT alone which will kill them.

Tacitus_

... and?

Tacitus_

so instead of actually doing stuff and interacting with people, you're reminiscing about sitting on top of the bank afk? The WoW community is a crazy one indeed

Nah, you chatted with guildies, random people who were also sitting on the roof or trolled the General or Trade chat. Good times.

Bisnic

Nah, you chatted with guildies, random people who were also sitting on the roof or trolled the General or Trade chat. Good times.

You can still chat with guildies and randoms on the isle and troll the General chat. Instead, now you're actually killing and looting stuff while doing so!

JCizzle

Why are they terribly designed?

Only one I have a beef with is Cinderfall and that's more due to his location than his attacks.

HP is a problem, relative scarcity (yes yes I know they're "rares") is another since they die so fast. Melee unfriendly is the other big one I have. I said it before, but I like how they handled one of the rares by having it be a mini event so you know to get there. They should do that more often. One of the few things I liked about GW2 PVE.

scoobs

I like that some rares are actually rare. Its luck of the draw that you'll be in the right place at the right time, or if you're dedicated enough you can sit at their spawn until they show up. Thats why they're called rares.

Tacitus_

Sooo much fucking hit on my shit. I have 3,5k hit rating from just two items! I reforge it out of every item I have and it's still not enough :<

kirblar

Sooo much fucking hit on my shit. I have 3,5k hit rating from just two items! I reforge it out of every item I have and it's still not enough :<
Yeah, it's really annoying- spirit's on like everything and I don't want it!

Might not be as bad if Mastery were any good for Boomkins.

Bisnic

Try being a draenei when your gear alone is already giving too much hit. You can't reforge racials!

RPGCrazied

Finally, got the axe from Lei Shen. Is there any enchant like dancing steel for Death Knights? Something that adds strength or something? Didn't see anything on my AH.

Also got 3/5 of my ToT tier set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom