• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bizazedo

HP is a problem, relative scarcity (yes yes I know they're "rares") is another since they die so fast. Melee unfriendly is the other big one I have. I said it before, but I like how they handled one of the rares by having it be a mini event so you know to get there. They should do that more often. One of the few things I liked about GW2 PVE.

I think part of this is just about expectations....like you said yourself, they're supposed to be "rares" and in the same sentence you said that's the issue. And honestly, compared to other MMO's, they can't really be called rares. They're more like uncommons.

WoW has just trained the playerbase that, except for Heroic raids and maybe some of "Normal" raiding, everything should be very easy.

So now a situation where it's not necessarily easy and that's due to competing with other players and breaking the "themepark" model WoW had gravitated to and that causes....stress?

I dunno. It's not an easy answer. WoW probably can't afford to break the themepark model, but if they don't try stuff that takes longer (or new stuff period), they'll stagnate pretty badly (imo).

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
To you, sure.

I'm glad Kirblar mentioned 9999 problems. It's the same thing.

It's a bigger place to go, mess around, hunt for a rare item you might like (Cinderfall's is amazing. Blackflame Daggers are fun. The weather stones are cool).

Plus tons of pets, an EASY way to start the week off with 250 valor (375 if you capped the week before), and supply your alts with gear.....whom you can then go play. And obviously aren't, but still.

What you essentially just said is "I don't care about pets, vanity items, easy valor, and also don't like grinding mobs if it doesn't make me more powerful in some way eventually".

Which is fine, but again, other people do. Especially as the grind in this case is just to vanity type stuff. Which some players live for.

Hell, I'm probably going to go to the island nearly as much anymore now, but even I can see the pet stuff is cool.

[EDIT: CLARIFICATION]

I am definitely not saying you're wrong, by the way. Cass I think is complaining about the design of those two long term goals because he doesn't like the long term nature of them, but even that doesn't make him wrong either.

What really matters is if there's enough in 5.4 for all the player types to enjoy it. I.e., those who think Timeless Isle is awesome versus those who don't. The ones who don't, if there's a sizeable amount of those player types and they're not being satisfied by SoO either, then Blizzard messed up. My opinion doesn't matter and Blizzard needs to cater to the majority.

I don't think I said, "I don't care about pets, valor or vanity items" at all, because that's like 90% of the things I do in the game. I just don't think TI is going to really have a ton of long term appeal (which is something we'll obviously find out in a few weeks) though since its just so directionless as to what you need to do. Part of the problem is that getting any of that cool stuff you're talking about is based around super rare drops, which are easy to give up on vs. fairly stead rep rewards. I don't really have a problem with them taking time to do, though: MF and IoT took quite a long time too, as did Argent Tourny. I don't think that's really the problem.

Bizazedo

As for them taking a long time, MF and IoT took quite a long time too, as did Argent Tourny. I don't think that's really the problem for me.

So you just need it to be firmly structured? Like it to say "it will take exactly this long and you need to do exactly x, y, z" instead of being able to just do it yourself? It's the uncertainty of how long it will take that gets ya?

Or is it the .... I don't want to say illusion, but, the layer of doing a quest and being incrementally awarded until you reach the endgoal as opposed to an oldschool camping style?

scoobs

Finally, got the axe from Lei Shen. Is there any enchant like dancing steel for Death Knights? Something that adds strength or something? Didn't see anything on my AH.

Also got 3/5 of my ToT tier set.
Enchants for death knights? Are you aware of runeforging? Kind of a big part of the class.... Rune of the Fallen crusader is your friend

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
So you just need it to be firmly structured? Like it to say "it will take exactly this long and you need to do exactly x, y, z" instead of being able to just do it yourself? It's the uncertainty of how long it will take that gets ya?

Or is it the .... I don't want to say illusion, but, the layer of doing a quest and being incrementally awarded until you reach the endgoal as opposed to an oldschool camping style?

Don't get me wrong, I like what Blizzard is onto with TI, I just fly to the Island and am confused what I should be doing so I end up running in circles feeling like I'm not accomplishing anything.

I understand what you're saying about "illusion," too. TI isn't actually a different concept from daily quests, but I think its easy to feel like you're accomplishing nothing when you're either facing a rep grind that works the way Shaohao does or the majority of the neat stuff is super rare drops.

To use an example, I really want that Cinderfall item, but the drop rate on wowhead is like 3%. I'm not sure I'm going to want to go there enough to get the potentially dozens of kills necessary to get it. If I get a kill on Cinderfall and it doesn't drop, I haven't really progressed towards getting it; the drop rate is still a flat 3% on each Cinder kill.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Don't get me wrong, I like what Blizzard is onto with TI, I just fly to the Island and am confused what I should be doing so I end up running in circles feeling like I'm not accomplishing anything.

Isn't that the whole point of the Isle? To not have any objectives from a quest or daily and simply run around, exploring and finding treasures and rares? The small size of the isle kinda ruin the whole "exploration" part that they are trying to accomplish though. Blizzard need to make their next attempt as large as a normal zone, then we'll have something better.

RPGCrazied

Enchants for death knights? Are you aware of runeforging? Kind of a big part of the class.... Rune of the Fallen crusader is your friend

I know this, I was just wondering if you could use an enchant along with a runeforge enchant. Up until now, this DK wasn't my main. I hardly played him.

Angry Grimace

Isn't that the whole point of the Isle? To not have any objectives from a quest or daily and simply run around, exploring and finding treasures and rares? The small size of the isle kinda ruin the whole "exploration" part that they are trying to accomplish though. Blizzard need to make their next attempt as large as a normal zone, then we'll have something better.

I think what ends up being the problem is that you don't get the treasures enough to get the kind of feeling you're talking about.

One idea that I think might improve it is if you could just buy all of the stuff you find around the island for Timeless Coins. A really killer idea in my mind is if you could buy Titan Runestones and Secrets of the Empire for Timeless coins.

RPGCrazied

I hope they start teasing us for the next expansion. Now that Garrosh is done with, surely they can. Don't make us wait for Blizzcon.

ZenaxPure

Wasn't MoP leaked early? I think so, but I think it was pretty close to Blizzcon.

The only thing that leaked from MoP was the name, but even then we didn't know if it was the expansion or not. MMOC certainly knew but they wanted to keep it a secret and didn't post anything until it was announced at Blizzcon.

RPGCrazied

I think it was a day or two early if I remember correctly, but I think Blizzcon was in October then - not November.

Yeah. I think they said we will get a 5.5, like an event patch, but it won't have a new zone or a new raid. That won't sustain us for very long.

Bisnic

The next expansion might be the expansion with the shortest amount of time between announcement and release... unless they're stupid enough to wait until fall 2014 to release it.

Entropia

No One Remembers
MoP leaked quite awhile before BlizzCon if I recall.
Here's actually a story from April 2011 about it: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2957126621

The only thing that leaked from MoP was the name, but even then we didn't know if it was the expansion or not. MMOC certainly knew but they wanted to keep it a secret and didn't post anything until it was announced at Blizzcon.

MMOC has an insider, there is no question about it. Oddly enough at BlizzCon 2011 at the WoW Insider party I was chatting with some people there, one of which was a Blizzard employee he said that MMOC is/was a pain in the ass because of someone who was always leaking to there. That's why they actually pushed the 'official' fan site networks like Curse to partner with them because it meant MMOC had to abide by the NDA.

Anyway, I'm fairly confident we won't see anything for the next expansion until like a few weeks before BlizzCon and even those will be very shakey rumours that may amount to nothing. It was actually quite refreshing and surprising not knowing what the expansion would be prior to when they announced Mists of Pandaria.

As far as timing goes, what Bisnic said is true. It has to be a very short time frame from announcement -> release. Both Cata and Mists weren't in their final content patches when those expansions were announced, and even then we were stuck in those raids for around 10 months. Blizzard basically needs to get their next expansion out the door by May of next year or else it'll be the same cycle three times in a row and that will definitely not sit well with their raiding population.

Let's ignore the fact that there are a few guilds that are already like 10/14... they may finish this week and most of those cutting edge guilds will finish within the next 2 weeks. That means they just run it until they get their mounts and then probably do it on alts a few times... for most of them they stop playing for a few months. The only effect a long time between now and the next expansion means the person may finally quit altogether. The problem is with guilds that may or may not kill Garrosh this week, and will working on progression up until the next progression - that's actually a bigger burn out than doing everything within 2-3 weeks. To see the same content for 8 months is mind jarring and absolutely boring.

kirblar

Yeah, MMOC is being kept close by Blizzard now - it's why DiabloFans leaking the client turning out to be a planned leak on Blizzard's end was no surprise.

Angry Grimace

B-but they restored the sunwell in TBC (and give us a nice yellow aura for eyes in the process) they could at least tried to gain more resistance againt nature magic or something new.

Restarting the Sunwell didn't fix their addiction. It was more like just giving a lifetime supply of crack to a crack-addict.

Yeah, MMOC is being kept close by Blizzard now - it's why DiabloFans leaking the client turning out to be a planned leak on Blizzard's end was no surprise.

MMOC is, and has been for a long time, merely a PR website for Blizzard.

ZenaxPure

It was actually quite refreshing and surprising not knowing what the expansion would be prior to when they announced Mists of Pandaria.

I preferred it this way for sure. It was exciting to see the original launch trailer at blizzcon without having any idea of what to expect. Having everything leaked ahead of time is just boring.

Tacitus_

And the "neutral" blood elves of Dalaran kinda betrayed her trust when they allowed him to go through Dalaran to attack Darnassus or something. I forgot, been a while.

I think they just aided on the attack on Darnassus. Then she went off her rocker and started imprisoning them and killing them on the streets of Dalaran.

scoobs

I know this, I was just wondering if you could use an enchant along with a runeforge enchant. Up until now, this DK wasn't my main. I hardly played him.

Nope, that would be absurdly overpowered. ROTFC is already the best "enchant" in the game by a wide margin. 15% of your strength, at 20k strength is 3,000 strength and it goes off all the time, and as you go higher in iLvl it becomes even better as it scales with your strength.

Bisnic

I think they just aided on the attack on Darnassus. Then she went off her rocker and started imprisoning them and killing them on the streets of Dalaran.

"Just aided" on the attack of one of your ally capital is a good enough reason to get rid of them from a town like Dalaran who is supposed to be neutral I think. She went a bit too extreme, but I guess I can understand after what happened in Theramore. Those guys helped the orc who nuked her town and friends.

ZenaxPure

Then she went off her rocker and started imprisoning them and killing them on the streets of Dalaran.

Actually if you read the quests there (as alliance anyway, horde players don't see this side) she gives all the blood elves in Dalaran the option of leaving peacefully. The ones that refuse are the ones she imprisons, the ones that fight back are the ones she killed. The only person that senselessly kills there is Vareesa, but, she outright says that she doesn't give a fuck which we knew far before MoP anyway.

Playing the horde version you see that the reason a lot of them didn't leave is that Dalaran is literally their home and they had no where else to go (the ones that choose to leave end up in Silvermoon). Anyway, Jaina didn't really go "off her rocker" and start imprisoning/murdering them at random.

As someone who did both versions I find it pretty fascinating that they completely leave out explanations that your faction wouldn't be privy to anyway. Feels more natural since it feeds into the chaos and confusion of it all.

CassSept

Grimace is the only one that understands me ;_; yeah I love vanity stuff and feel there is too much on the island relative to the time you have to spend on it (worst offender possibly being Garnia (sp?), a rare spawning every hour+ in an obscure place with a rare pet, GREAT). And Shaohao will break my streak of having every faction since TBC at Exalted. Kind of tickles my OCD the wrong way.

Oh well, changing the subject, the music in Vale of Eternal Sorrows is SO GOOOOOOD. I haven't seen past that yet (very few groups for flex wing 2 at the moment), but I'm blown away. Immerseus is creepy as hell, Fallen Protectors are appropriately sad and Sha of Pride is just great. I hope the later part of the raid do not disappoint.

Angry Grimace

Nope, that would be absurdly overpowered. ROTFC is already the best "enchant" in the game by a wide margin. 15% of your strength, at 20k strength is 3,000 strength and it goes off all the time, and as you go higher in iLvl it becomes even better as it scales with your strength.

I remember at WLK launch when it was 30% strength.

Grimace is the only one that understands me ;_; yeah I love vanity stuff and feel there is too much on the island relative to the time you have to spend on it (worst offender possibly being Garnia (sp?), a rare spawning every hour+ in an obscure place with a rare pet, GREAT). And Shaohao will break my streak of having every faction since TBC at Exalted. Kind of tickles my OCD the wrong way.

Oh well, changing the subject, the music in Vale of Eternal Sorrows is SO GOOOOOOD. I haven't seen past that yet (very few groups for flex wing 2 at the moment), but I'm blown away. Immerseus is creepy as hell, Fallen Protectors are appropriately sad and Sha of Pride is just great. I hope the later part of the raid do not disappoint.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of getting Secrets of the Empire and Titan Runestones from coin vendors on the island. It wouldn't affect any up to date raiders since they already have the cloak and it wouldn't be an escalator to Everest for newbies since coins themselves are hard to farm.

zulfate

So i started up wow after 2 years and....its fucking good, i had no fucking idea i can cast and run now when did that happen @_@

Angry Grimace

Thought that was a Shaman-only thing?

Warlocks could do it on every spell up until 5.4; now they can only do it on Incinerate, Shadow Bolt and Malefic Grasp. Of course, they buffed the competing talent (Archimonde's Cunnning) to be basically better DPS too, so many Warlocks won't even spec into the cast-while-moving talent anymore.

Tacitus_

"Just aided" on the attack of one of your ally capital is a good enough reason to get rid of them from a town like Dalaran who is supposed to be neutral I think. She went a bit too extreme, but I guess I can understand after what happened in Theramore. Those guys helped the orc who nuked her town and friends.

Yeah but the aid they gave was teleporting you to Darnassus and back away from there.

Bizazedo

I remember at WLK launch when it was 30% strength.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of getting Secrets of the Empire and Titan Runestones from coin vendors on the island. It wouldn't affect any up to date raiders since they already have the cloak and it wouldn't be an escalator to Everest for newbies since coins themselves are hard to farm.

They're not. They're absurdly easy to farm (the coins that is).

That being said, it's still not a bad idea. I think the main, real opposition you'd get is it doesn't make sense from a lore / quest perspective. Maybe handwave it with "the flow of time is different here and allows us to collect these items from across the centuries".

Angry Grimace

They're not. They're absurdly easy to farm (the coins that is).

That being said, it's still not a bad idea. I think the main, real opposition you'd get is it doesn't make sense from a lore / quest perspective. Maybe handwave it with "the flow of time is different here and allows us to collect these items from across the centuries".
As though it makes sense that Secrets of the Mogu Empire and Titan Runestones drop off of General Nazgrim? :lol

And by hard to farm, I mean its hard to actually acquire them in the tens of thousands particularly quickly. You can get 100K coins a week if you play hours on the island a day, but if the Secrets cost 30K and the Runestones cost 50K+, its not shortening your legendary quest by all that much unless you play all day every day, but it gives you a reason to keep coin-farming.

Bizazedo

As though it makes sense that Secrets of the Mogu Empire and Titan Runestones drop off of General Nazgrim? :lol

And by hard to farm, I mean its hard to actually acquire them in the tens of thousands particularly quickly. You can get 100K coins a week if you play hours on the island a day, but if the Secrets cost 30K and the Runestones cost 50K+, its not shortening your legendary quest by all that much unless you play all day every day, but it gives you a reason to keep coin-farming.

Yeah, that wasn't me really disagreeing with you. I actually like the idea the more I think about it.

Ceilings are too fucking low in this game!!

Operation: Meteor over SW has been a failure so far.

Attempt 1 - I knew this wasn't going to work, BRM's ceiling cushion was too low, but it wasn't so bad other than my aim being off.
untitled-29rd1r.gif

Attempt 2 - OK I'm pretty low, this isn't even the tallest of the surrounding hills. I even put my handy Skyguard cloak on, maybe glide into Westfall or something grand like that!
untitled-167pi5.gif

....................... >(

Angry Grimace

Yeah, that wasn't me really disagreeing with you. I actually like the idea the more I think about it.

Heck, I'd say it makes sense thematically too that all sorts of random stuff drops in Timeless Isle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom