• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boogdud

That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about Ret Paladins doing 18K DPS on Immersius.

I did lfr for the first time ever the other day. Just squeaked in at 499 thanks to buying... pvp trinkets. Yeah, I feel pretty bad. I was a progression raider and class leader from 1.0 all the way through wrath but I'm so far out of the game I know nothing anymore. I felt like dead weight most of the time because I'm using the timeless dagger and some crappy blue because I can't find anything else.

I didn't install recount because, right now, I'd rather not know...

Tacitus_

Google Translate gives : imparare cazzo inglese

I'm no italian though, so i can't say if it's accurate. :p

Heh. Bunch of italian morons almost got us wiped on the trash before Norushen since they wouldn't stack on the tanks to spread the cleave damage.

mclem

I do wonder if statistics suggest that LFR *is* actually a bit less successful in Europe than it is in the US due to the language barriers. We have to be very careful of that within the guild ourselves, given the fact that we've got a clientele from across Europe (Mainly UK and Scandinavia, but we've got members from as far-reaching areas as Romania). It doesn't help that I'm a bit... verbose at times, but they put up with me anyway.

Heh. Bunch of italian morons almost got us wiped on the trash before Norushen since they wouldn't stack on the tanks to spread the cleave damage.
That's interesting. I assume you're talking about Zeal? We've always *not* pointed the Sha Smash at the raid - thinking it was a normal damaging effect - and had no problem as a result. To the extent that one of my guildies in LFR was ranting about an LFR tank insisting on them grouping up...

There's certainly something odd going on here. He was a healer and thought the damage when grouping was huge yet had no problem healing tanks when we were off on our own, but you're implying that the damage was terrible enough to cause a near-wipe when people *aren't* stacked.

I assume the discrepancy might be largely because it's physical damage and we're well-geared plate tanks. Although there is one other aspect I have been wondering about: The 'Vanity' mob gives Zeal a buff while it's up that gives it an extra ability, but I've heard nothing about the other large trash mob - Arrogance - having any such power.

From the logs (In Flex last night):

[20:33:24.303] Zeal casts Sha Smash
[20:33:24.525] Zeal Sha Smash Absorr 293081
[20:33:24.525] Zeal Sha Smash Matthias 328796 (A: 26642)

Unpleasant, but nonfatal, and there's nothing else that's nasty in that fight.

An earlier attack - when we didn't turn him immediately - hit seven people:

[20:32:57.707] Zeal casts Sha Smash
[20:32:57.978] Zeal Sha Smash Jeppuli Absorb (197349)
[20:32:57.978] Zeal Sha Smash Dirrtygirl 186648
[20:32:57.978] Zeal Sha Smash Absorr 61099 (A: 22639)
[20:32:57.978] Zeal Sha Smash Zenisky 174685
[20:32:57.987] Zeal Sha Smash Zli 157290
[20:32:57.987] Zeal Sha Smash Klamandar 154815
[20:32:57.987] Zeal Sha Smash Vàsh 153823

I think I'd rather have 300k on two tanks than 150k on seven different people. Of course, with proper stacking, you'd be splitting between far more people, with much less damage per person.

I think possibly it's the middle ground that's dangerous? It's manageable if it's just the tanks getting it, because they're the focus for healing. It's manageable if it's the whole raid getting it, because the numbers are tiny. The danger comes from the middle ground; enough people taking the hit that the healers need to spread healing around, too few to reduce the amount of the hit by much.

If that's deliberate, I rather like it. Two approaches, both potentially good strategies for many fights - sometimes you've gotta stack, sometimes you've gotta stay well clear of the front of the boss - but the middle ground is rarely the best choice, so it punishes groups who don't commit to one or the other.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I do wonder if statistics suggest that LFR *is* actually a bit less successful in Europe than it is in the US due to the language barriers. We have to be very careful of that within the guild ourselves, given the fact that we've got a clientele from across Europe (Mainly UK and Scandinavia, but we've got members from as far-reaching areas as Romania). It doesn't help that I'm a bit... verbose at times, but they put up with me anyway.

Everytime you get many people from South America in US LFR, it does create some problems.... ESPECIALLY if it's one of the tank. Try to explain to him what to do in a language he doesn't understand? Good luck. I can't imagine the hell it must be in EU LFR.

Not to mention it seems that South American players are more terrible than US/Canadian players in general. No offense to South America-GAF.

Tacitus_

Everytime you get many people from South America in US LFR, it does create some problems.... ESPECIALLY if it's one of the tank. Try to explain to him what to do in a language he doesn't understand? Good luck. I can't imagine the hell it must be in EU LFR.

Not to mention it seems that South American players are more terrible than US/Canadian players in general. No offense to South America-GAF.

BR BR BR HUE HUE HUE HUE

Italians tend to be bad and have terrible english, but at least there aren't that many of them. Though it's kinda funny seeing people speak like 5 different languages in the raid chat and no one understands each other.

mclem

It's that sort of thing that makes it pretty clear why LFR's difficulty is what it is, and why Flex can get away with being a bit more interesting.

TimeKillr

I feel bad every time, but god damn those hispanic players are HORRIBLE in LFR and random heroics.

I don't know what it is. Maybe a combination of lag/inexperience/lack of information? We have 2 Brazilian guys in my guild who play on US servers because they say "Lol like we'd play on the BR server, those guys are fucking horrible". But it's not just the BR server - anybody from Quel'Thalas, Goldrinn and a few others are just horrible. I seriously don't understand why Blizzard put them in the NA battlegroups, all it does is create massive problems (and very rampant racism where I hear fun things like "You fucking suck, wetback"). My guess is that Blizzard wanted to include them because that way they can learn to be better, but it still doesn't work at all.

And yeah, if it's a tank.. Holy crap. The amount of yelling 'GO TO THE STAIRS' on the last MSV encounter.... and seeing it's a hispanic player.... yeah..... People get pissed (and perhaps rightly so).

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I feel bad every time, but god damn those hispanic players are HORRIBLE in LFR and random heroics.

I don't know what it is. Maybe a combination of lag/inexperience/lack of information? We have 2 Brazilian guys in my guild who play on US servers because they say "Lol like we'd play on the BR server, those guys are fucking horrible". But it's not just the BR server - anybody from Quel'Thalas, Goldrinn and a few others are just horrible. I seriously don't understand why Blizzard put them in the NA battlegroups, all it does is create massive problems (and very rampant racism where I hear fun things like "You fucking suck, wetback"). My guess is that Blizzard wanted to include them because that way they can learn to be better, but it still doesn't work at all.

And yeah, if it's a tank.. Holy crap. The amount of yelling 'GO TO THE STAIRS' on the last MSV encounter.... and seeing it's a hispanic player.... yeah..... People get pissed (and perhaps rightly so).

I think it has more to do with keeping wait times as short as possible. The more people, the shorter the queues. Too bad some raids end up taking longer because of that.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I think it has more to do with keeping wait times as short as possible. The more people, the shorter the queues. Too bad some raids end up taking longer because of that.

Idea: the CTA rewards need to be better for tanks and heals in LFR. For example, they could dynamically adjust themselves based on demand to be something like 300 VP per wing if the wait times are really bad.

TimeKillr

Yeah that's a possibility, but god damn as you said it makes the raid take longer.. If there's like 2-3 of them in, sure, but otherwise.. Wow.

Idea: the CTA rewards need to be better for tanks and heals in LFR. For example, they could dynamically adjust themselves based on demand to be something like 300 VP per wing if the wait times are really bad.

Is there even CTA in LFR? I don't think I've ever seen it.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
So I had been doing Flex SoO for a few weeks now, via oQueue, and every single time I would be with peeps that would wipe several times per boss, and indeed I've only SEEN the 3rd boss, not downed him. No drops EVER.

So LFR rolls out, I know it's gonna be way worse, and sure enough, the first LFR for SoO I join, we wipe, only once, and the raid leader, a Pally, proceeds to run off right before the wipe happens, and then not die, cursing the raid out for wiping, and saying he's going to just sit there until we all leave the raid. So, I left.

Just really sucks. I wish I could get into a guild that raids and works as a team, but my server (Staghelm) is a barren wasteland.

Bizazedo

So I had been doing Flex SoO for a few weeks now, via oQueue, and every single time I would be with peeps that would wipe several times per boss, and indeed I've only SEEN the 3rd boss, not downed him. No drops EVER.

I knew time travel was possible!!

So LFR rolls out, I know it's gonna be way worse, and sure enough, the first LFR for SoO I join, we wipe, only once, and the raid leader, a Pally, proceeds to run off right before the wipe happens, and then not die, cursing the raid out for wiping, and saying he's going to just sit there until we all leave the raid. So, I left.

Just really sucks. I wish I could get into a guild that raids and works as a team, but my server (Staghelm) is a barren wasteland.

Servers will be joined, soon, you'll be good to go.

That and is anyone else hoping Blizzard copies the awesome idea that is Oqueue and puts something in game for it? That way it doesn't have to use realid's and it operates more as a community board across servers?

I'd rather they made the CTA rewards gain a multiplier for every successful boss kill within a single LFR run. That way there would be some motivation to stay for every boss and not drop the second boss #2 doesn't drop whatever the healer/tank wanted. It's a problem when my first LFR queue as DPS takes 6 minutes, but is on boss #3, and my next LFR queue takes 50 minutes and loses both tanks after the first boss dies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'd rather they made the CTA rewards gain a multiplier for every successful boss kill within a single LFR run. That way there would be some motivation to stay for every boss and not drop the second boss #2 doesn't drop whatever the healer/tank wanted. It's a problem when my first LFR queue as DPS takes 6 minutes, but is on boss #3, and my next LFR queue takes 50 minutes and loses both tanks after the first boss dies.

Yeah, but you don't get VP until the end and you frequently show up in half-completed runs.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Man, justice points are a bitch to farm. Wish we could trade Valor, 1:1 for justice, or LFR bosses gave some justice.

Angry Grimace

Man, justice points are a bitch to farm. Wish we could trade Valor, 1:1 for justice, or LFR bosses gave some justice.

...what? You get like 100 JP per heroic boss and the queues for heroics is like nothing.

CassSept

If we're sharing funny stories, I've got one ridiculous from yesterday. We got somewhat stuck on Sha of Pride (flex) because tanks have trouble taunting and get MC'd around 60% (dps gets blamed for not doing good enough obv). One of the tanks leaves due to time and we find a replacement.

The dude zones in, rushes into the room, pulls the boss, gets one-shotted, writes 'niceone dude' and quits.

This patch is blowing my mind with pug mentality.

It's really wonky right now though.

Like if you get in and somebody decides to drop, there goes your Satchel.

Yeah, it also seems to be pretty buggy with selecting the raid too. I opened up raid finder, saw the healer CTA, changed selection and back, and CTA was gone. Closed, opened up again and it was back... Can't remember if I actually got the satchel or not at the end... Think so though. It's a good idea, will be nice when it's running well.

I said I wasn't going to do it, but I did it anyway. LFR.

Sha of Pride. People running away from each other with Gift of the Titans. People not killing the add that spawns from behind. People yelling at melee DPS to move OUT OF ATTACK RANGE to stack with the ranged so they could get the Blessing of the Titans buff. Three wipes.

Good GOD I don't know why I bothered.

Got all the easy achievements done on Timeless Isle. Just need rare spawns, items they drop, and the really rare treasures (found one so far). Was able to find all the treasure chests without looking them up.

Fjordson

Got my 3000 Valor for the legendary questline. Woo!

Now time to get the two battlegrounds wins. Shouldn't be too hard....

andherewego.gif

mclem

Norushen down! Feels good to get a guild-first on a day when we have a new recruit in the raid, makes us look good. I've already dropped a hint that if he has any friends from his old server to point them at our website :)

Low-%-wipe on Sha, too. Should get him Monday if we can field a group, but my usual cotank is away for the week.

kirblar

Sha of Pride. People running away from each other with Gift of the Titans. People not killing the add that spawns from behind. People yelling at melee DPS to move OUT OF ATTACK RANGE to stack with the ranged so they could get the Blessing of the Titans buff. Three wipes.

Flex groups were all getting stuck there as well on my server- it's going to have to be nerfed further to allow the faceroll raid to progress.

So Flex raids aren't made for LFR only people. Doing it with my guild for a first time and like half the raid is only about 500 ilvl. Doing 14 man and we have 4 dps doing under 60k on Immerseus.

I had no idea what was going on as a healer.. All I noticed is that I could dispel freely when I had the Titan Buff, which is what I did.

We 1 shot Sha of Pride, recount showed me dispelling 21 times, with 2 others having a single dispel.

guess I did it right?

I had no idea what was going on as a healer.. All I noticed is that I could dispel freely when I had the Titan Buff, which is what I did.

We 1 shot Sha of Pride, recount showed me dispelling 21 times, with 2 others having a single dispel.

guess I did it right?

Yeah, good on you for dispelling people. I was top DPS in the raid and I died twice because people weren't dispelling me.

I don't think I'll be going back. :x

Tarazet

Ugh, my guildmate got me seriously thinking about gemming Int/Sta in some slots since I'm over the hit cap and can't reforge any more away. And the socket bonuses on those items are 2x 120 Int and 1x 180 Int, so I can't exactly ignore them either like I have on the one that had 60 haste. That one got Int/Mas in an instant.

I feel dirty.

Why would you put on an orange gem if you were ignoring the socket bonus? Wouldn't you want either a red or yellow? And there's nothing wrong with gemming half Stam in blue sockets, especially this late in the expansion, but I wouldn't do it unless Ask Mr. Robot can't come up with a better solution.

So if you use slowfall during Falling Flame, it levels out, letting you cover quite a bit of distance. But the Skyguard Cloak is only 10s. Noggenfoggers are 15. Engineers with their hax cloak can do 30s. But you know.... Levitate.... it lasts 10 minutes >_>

untitled-1jeehr.gif

Fun fact: After that, I lost the levitate buff, but still maintained the effect. I could take damage, mount, fly (and come back down), jump into passenger seats, and I'd always be floating along. Cancelled when I went through a loading screen, of course, qq, still interesting.

Group of like 5 alliance was farming bloody coins, so after they killed me once I kept running to them and /danced while they couldn't get anymore coins from me.

Acidote

Well, after last week when me and my guildmates had barely any time to raid, we catched up between Wednesday and last night. Only Garrosh left for Sunday, Monday and Tuesday.
If we have the time to raid (small roster with 2 hours raid 5 times a week if we can), we should start HMs next week as we planned before the patch. So far I've only looted one item from Ordos, no luck with any of the bosses, world bosses or coin rolls.

Tacitus_

So Flex raids aren't made for LFR only people. Doing it with my guild for a first time and like half the raid is only about 500 ilvl. Doing 14 man and we have 4 dps doing under 60k on Immerseus.

*shrug* It's totally doable with LFR only people -- if LFR only refers to their gear, not their skill. We did an alt run last week and cleared it with a couple of wipes. Doing one this evening as well.

Why would you put on an orange gem if you were ignoring the socket bonus? Wouldn't you want either a red or yellow? And there's nothing wrong with gemming half Stam in blue sockets, especially this late in the expansion, but I wouldn't do it unless Ask Mr. Robot can't come up with a better solution.

Mr Roboto hasn't really come up with proper gemming for me in a while. Seems like it's using single target weights or something, while most of the fights are multi target. I'm using gemming advice from the guy who does the Destruction thread on MMO-champion. They're making nice HC progress already so I'm inclined to trust his opinion.

And I'm just waking up so I might be explaining the math wrong, but if the Int stat weight isn't over 2x the secondary stat weight and the secondary stat weight isn't so high that using one of them is better than using Int, those half/half gems are what you need to use.

Cipherr

So if you use slowfall during Falling Flame, it levels out, letting you cover quite a bit of distance. But the Skyguard Cloak is only 10s. Noggenfoggers are 15. Engineers with their hax cloak can do 30s. But you know.... Levitate.... it lasts 10 minutes >_>

untitled-1jeehr.gif

Fun fact: After that, I lost the levitate buff, but still maintained the effect. I could take damage, mount, fly (and come back down), jump into passenger seats, and I'd always be floating along. Cancelled when I went through a loading screen, of course, qq, still interesting.

Oh man now that is crazy cool. There has to be some more awesome places you can use that combo at to travel across multiple zones or something.

mclem

Yeah, given that it scales, extra people are....not advised until you can carry them.

There was some - tongue-in-cheek - discussion on Maintankadin about whether there's a metric that could be used to determine whether adding a person is a net gain or loss. It's not too hard to do for dps, but healing offers up quite a few questions.

That said, that's purely in the context of ability. Gear should not be an issue if you're adequate for LFR. I put a stipulation of 505 iLvl on our first run last week because it was an unknown quantity, and that was - in retrospect - definitely too harsh.

I think Flex is particularly well-suited for guilds like ours, which has enough people capable of Normal but also lots of people on the outskirts who aren't quite good enough for that but good friends who we like to be able to raid with. I'm perfectly content to sacrifice a formal raid day each week to include them, at least for the short term.

mclem

untitled-1jeehr.gif

Go to the highest point in Hyjal.
Point yourself towards Uldum.
Launch and levitate.
See where you land.

Inquiring minds just *have* to know!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

untitled-1jeehr.gif

What the heck is going on in this gif?

RPGCrazied

And this is why I don't see why LFR can't receive titles and or mount chances in LFR. Sometimes I feel we have to deal with way more than an organized raid does.

CassSept

Go to the highest point in Hyjal.
Point yourself towards Uldum.
Launch and levitate.
See where you land.

Inquiring minds just *have* to know!

Sorry to burst your bubble, but it's highly unlikely anything cool will happen. Ashenvale has really low ceiling so you will most likely get rebounded as soon as you leave Hyjal :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom